ITS HISTORY AND TRADITIONS
H. U. Carpenter
For practically forty years Hiram U. Carpenter has
been identified, in one way or another, with the livestock business
at Sioux City, and during this period he has been a witness of and a
participant in the wonderful growth of the business from a small
beginning to its present mammoth proportions, Sioux City now being
one of the chief livestock markets of the world. He is now vice
president and general manager of Long & Hansen, one of the old and
reliable livestock commission houses of this city, and because of
his success and his splendid personality has gained an enviable
place in the esteem of all who know him. Mr. Carpenter was born in
Chickasaw county, Iowa, on the 27th of May, 1869, and is a son of
Alpheus and Sarah (Layton) Carpenter. His father was a native of
Montpelier, Vermont, while his mother was born in England, from
which country she was brought to the United States in childhood.
She became the wife of Alpheus Carpenter in Nashua, Iowa. Mr.
Carpenter was a man of progressive and enterprising spirit and
established the first steam sawmill in Chickasaw county, operating
it a number of years in Bradford. Later he engaged in the livery
business. He and his wife are now both deceased.
Hiram U. Carpenter secured his educational training
in the public schools of Charles City, Iowa, and his first
employment was in carrying bricks used in the building of the
courthouse at Spencer, Iowa, being sixteen years of age at the
time. Later he worked four or five summers at railroad construction
work, mostly grading, in Nebraska and South Dakota, and in November,
1887, came to Sioux City, being for some years employed at the
stockyards. In 1899 he began his identification with the live stock
commission business as yard man for Long & Hansen. Later he was
made hog salesman for this firm, which position he held until 1910,
when he became a partner. Eight years later he became
vice-president of the company and on March 1, 1925, was made the
active manager of the business, which position he still fills.
In 1893, Mr. Carpenter was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Niven, of Hampton, Iowa, and to this union have been born
two children, namely: Orpha, who died in 1896; and Harry U., who is
connected with his father's company. Mr. Carpenter is a member of
Morningside Lodge, No. 615, A. F. & A. M.; Sunrise Chapter, No. l
141, R. A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; Abu-Bekr
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; Isis Chapter, No. 173, O. E. S.; Mispah
Shrine, No. 13, Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem; the Knights
of th Maccabees, and the Homesteaders. Mrs. Carpenter belongs to
the Eastern Star and the White Shrine. Mr. Carpenter is
vice-president of the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange, and belongs to
the Chamber of Commerce. He is also a member and director of the
Morningside Country Club and of the Morningside planning commission.
The family are all members of the Morningside Presbyterian church.
Mr. Carpenter is of the highest type of progressive citizen,
standing for all that is best in community life and supporting every
measure calculated to advance the public interests. Candid and
straightforward in all of his relations, he has long held a high
place in public esteem and is regarded as one of the representative
men of his community.
Scott Case, who proved his loyalty to the Union by
gallant conduct on the battlefields of the south, was one of the
venerable residents of Spencer. He started out in life empty handed
and earned the right to the respect and esteem of his fellow
citizens and the honorable title of "self-made man." He was born
February 6, 1841, in Springfield, Erie county, Pennsylvania, and his
parents, Almond and Charlotte Case, were natives of Connecticut.
His father was killed in a railroad accident which occurred in
Wisconsin and the mother passed away in Pennsylvania. Four children
were born to them, namely: Margaret, George, Hastings and Scott,
all of whom are deceased. After the death of his first wife Almond
Case married Sallie Huff and there were two children of that union,
Charlotte and Martha.
Mr. Case came to Iowa when he was a child of six
years and earned his first money by working on a farm in Clinton
county. He afterward went to the Badger state and in Jefferson
county in 1863 enlisted in Company C, of the Eleventh Wisconsin
Infantry. He fought for two years in the Civil war and lost a leg
while in the service.
On March 25, 1864, Mr. Case married Miss Frances
Vienna Gundell, and four children were born to this union. Edmond
Almond, the eldest, died at the age of fifteen. Olive Loretta
married Charles Bell, and they now make their home in Sioux Falls,
South Dakota. Edna married G. L. Bowden, and to this union were
born two children, Donna and Bonnie. She later married Louis Lahoda,
of Omaha, Nebraska, and they have one child, Crissy. Parepa became
the wife of Frank M. Hill, and they had two children, Frances
Merrill and Hellen Virginia. Some years after his death she married
August Claussen, and they have two girls, June Ann and Scottie
Lavonne, and she has made her home in Spencer, Iowa, since the death
of her first husband.
Mr. Case is a faithful member of the United Brethren
church and a staunch republican in his political views. He was a
valued member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic
and also connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Although he had reached the advanced age of eighty-four years, his
mental and physical powers were well preserved and his conversation
was enriched with interesting accounts of his experiences as a
pioneer. In the hard school of experience he learned many valuable
lessons and time proved his worth. He passed away June 27, 1926, of
old age and complications, and left behind the thoughts of "Well
done, good and faithful servant." His wife still resides in the
little home he provided for her and which they occupied for over
fifty-four years, and at the advanced age of eighty-four years she
also bears her burdens faithfully.
Harry Chamberlain, a widely known attorney
specializing in probate cases, has been a resident of Spencer during
the past half century and has figured prominently in public affairs
as well as in professional circles. His birth occurred in Glover,
Vermont, on the 5th of July, 1849, his parents being Alonzo and
Betsey N. (Phillips) Chamberlain, who were also natives of that
place, the former born May 7, 1818, and the latter in 1824. In the
paternal line he comes of English and French descent. He traces his
ancestry back to the Chamberlain who killed the Indian chief Paugus
in the battle of Lovewell's Pond on May 8, 1725, which so
discouraged the red men that they withdrew and left the whites in
possession of the field. A great-grandfather of Harry Chamberlain
in the paternal line participated in the Revolutionary war. His
wife melted and ran into bullets the lead weights of the family
clock, replacing the weights with bags of sand. This clock and the
old Queen's Arm musket which the great grandfather used are still in
possession of members of the Chamberlain family in Vermont. It was
in the year 1802 that the Chamberlains removed from Keene, New
Hampshire, to the Green Mountain state. Spencer Chamberlain, the
paternal grandfather of Mr. Chamberlain of this review, served as a
soldier of the War o f1812 and participated in the battle of
Plattsburg. Most of the representatives of the Phillips family,
which is of English and Welsh lineage, still live in Glover,
Harry Chamberlain was a little lad of less than six
hears when his parents removed from Glover, Vermont, to Winnebago
county, Illinois, where the family home was established on the 14th
of May, 1855. He acquired a common school education in the latter
place and there remained until after he had attained his majority.
It was in May, 1871, that he came to Clay county, Iowa, and took a
homestead in Clay township, where he farmed during the summer
seasons and taught school in the winter months until the fall of
1876, at which time he was elected clerk of the district and circuit
courts. He then took up his abode in Spencer, Iowa, the county
seat, and most acceptably filled the office of clerk of courts until
January 1, 1887. In the meantime he had studied law and was
admitted to the bar in 1885. Mr. Chamberlain engaged in law
practice in association with E. C. Hughes for two years and
subsequently was in partnership with Robert M. Bush for several
years or until the latter's removal to New York. Thereafter he
continued in the practice of his chosen profession independently,
also handling loans and insurance. As above stated, he specializes
in probate cases and is accorded a most gratifying clientage. He is
also deputy auditor of Clay county, Iowa, for his son, Alonzo W.
Chamberlain, who has served as auditor for eighteen years.
Mr. Chamberlain is a stanch republican and has taken
an active part in local politics. In addition to filling the office
of clerk of the courts for ten years, as above mentioned, he made a
commendable record as a member of the city council of Spencer from
1889 to 1891, inclusive, and again from 1901 until 1906. He served
as mayor of Spencer from 1892 until 1896 and again from 1910 to
1912, giving the city a most progressive, beneficial and
businesslike administration. During a period of twenty years he was
a member of the board of education of Spencer, Iowa. Fraternally he
has been affiliated with the Masonic order since 1887, being a
member of Evening Shade Lodge No. 312, A. F. & A. M. Since November,
1878, he has belonged to Spencer Lodge No. 247, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and he has held all the offices in the subordinate
lodge and camp. His name is also on the membership rolls of the
Spencer Commercial Club. He is a consistent member of the Christian
church and helped organize the first church of that denomination in
Clay county in 1875. Mr. Chamberlain has passed the seventy-seventh
milestone on life's journey and can look back over an active,
honorable and useful career.
Mr. Chamberlain has been twice married. On the 20th
of June, 1875, in Clay township, Clay county, Iowa, he wedded Mary
E. Ellis, who was born in Polk county, Iowa, December 15, 1855, and
came of New England stock. Her father, Walter Ellis, whose birth
occurred near Rochester, New York, in 1818, passed away at Rising
Sun, Iowa, in December, 1904. Her mother, who bore the maiden name
of Clarissa J. Nichols, and who was born near Rochester, New York,
in 1820 died at Rising Sun, Iowa, July 2, 1893. Harry and Mary E.
(Ellis) Chamberlain became the parents of four children, as follows:
Alonzo W., who wedded Lydia Skyles and lives at Spencer, Iowa;
Myrtle May, who is the wife of Harry G. Keese and resides at
Visalia, California; Ernest C., who married Esther Chapman and died
September 21, 1904; and Harry E., who wedded Anna Ankerstrand and
makes his home in Salt Lake City, Utah.
On the 22d of December, 1918, at Spencer, Iowa, Mr.
Chamberlain was again married, his second union being with Ineze.
Palmer, who was born at Madrid, Boone county, Iowa, August 11, 1878.
Her father, Daniel Clark Palmer, whose birth occurred in Erie
county, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1845, departed this life at
Spencer, Iowa, on the 6th of September, 1920. He served in the
Civil war as a member of Company D, Thirty-fifth Wisconsin Volunteer
Infantry, from January, 1864, until March, 1866, and took part in
the siege of Mobile. After the cessation of hostilities between the
north and the south he was stationed at Brownsville, Texas, for a
year. It was in 1869 that he took up a homestead claim in Lincoln
township, Clay county, Iowa. In this county, with the exception of
a period of about five years, he continued to reside, most of the
time in Spencer, until his death in 1920. His widow, who bore the
maiden name of Margaret Elizabeth Lahmon and who was born at Mount
Vernon, Ohio, July 4, 1847, is a resident of Spencer, Iowa. Mrs.
Enez E. (Palmer) Chamberlain, whose ancestors lived in Connecticut
prior to the Revolutionary war, is a member of Lydia Alden Chapter,
D. A. R. She also belongs to Rebekah Lodge No. 28. Mrs.
Chamberlain was graduated from the University of Iowa with the
degree of Bachelor of Arts and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, an
honorary scholastic fraternity.
G. H. Clark
George H. Clark has been an active representative of
the legal profession in Ida county during the past three decades and
since July, 1921, has been engaged in practice at Ida Grove in
association with his son and namesake under the firm style of Clark
& Clark. His birth occurred in Dewitt, Iowa, on the 6th of
December, 1869, his parents being Adoniram J. and Matilda (Bell)
Clark, the former born in Stark county, Ohio, February 1, 1837, and
the latter at Greensburg, Ohio, in August, 1842. The ancestry in
both the paternal and maternal lines is traced to early colonial
settlers in the territory of the original thirteen colonies. Adoniram
J. Clark, the father of George H. Clark of this review, passed away
on the 31st of October, 1921, while the mother departed this life in
In the acquirement of an education George H. Clark
attended public school in his native city from 1874 until 1887,
while the two succeeding years were spent in the law department of
the University of Iowa. From 1890 until 1896 inclusive he lived at
Everett, Washington, engaging in timber cruising and in general law
practice. During the last two years of his residence, there, from
1894 until 1896, he served as police judge. Returning to the
Hawkeye state, he devoted his attention to the practice of law at
Battle Creek for a period of eleven years or until 1907, when he
took up his permanent abode at Ida Grove. here he has continued in
general law practice to the present time and since the 1st of July,
1921, has been in partnership with his son, George H. Clark, Jr.,
under the firm name of Clark & Clark. He has long enjoyed an
enviable reputation as an attorney of broad legal learning and
pronounced analytical powers and is accorded a clientage of
extensive and gratifying proportions.
On the 14th of June, 1894, at Everett, Washington,
Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Elizabeth Reicheneker, who was
born at Golden, Colorado, July 24, 1874, and whose parents are Mr.
and Mrs. William C. Reicheneker, residents of Berkeley, California.
She has membership in the P. E. O. and the Federation of Women's
Clubs. By her marriage she has two sons: George H. Clark Jr., who
married Ferne R. Jones and makes his home in Ida Grove, Iowa; and
Bruce R. Clark, also residing in Ida Grove.
Politically Mr. Clark is a staunch republican. He
filled the office of mayor of Battle Creek from 1904 until 1907,
giving the city a businesslike and beneficial administration
characterized by many measures of progress, reform and improvement.
He belongs to the Commercial Club and the Kiwanis Club of Ida
Grove. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, while his religious faith is that of the Baptist
church. Mr. Clark is friendly and affable in his social relations,
is public spirited in his interest in the welfare of his community
and liberal in his attitude towards charitable and benevolent
objects, so that he has gained an enviable place in the estimation
of all who know him.
G. H. Clark, Jr.
George Harold Clark, Jr., member of the law firm of
Clark & Clark, well known attorneys of Ida Grove, with offices in
the First National Bank building, is now serving for the third term
as county attorney of Ida county. he was born at Everett,
Washington, on the 11th of June, 1895, a son of George H. and
Elizabeth (Reichenekeer) Clark, the former born at Dewitt, Iowa,
December 6, 1869, while the birth of the latter occurred at Golden,
Colorado, July 24, 1874. The ancestral record of the family in both
the paternal and maternal lines goes back to the original colonial
settlements in America.
George H. Clark, Jr., received his early education
as a public school pupil at Battle Creek, Iowa, where he completed
the work of the first to fifth grades inclusive. He took up the
studies of the sixth grade in a public school at Ida Grove and there
continued his education until graduated from high school. From
September, 1814, until May, 1917, he attended Stanford University of
California for pre-legal work and thereafter devoted the period
between June, 1917, and September, 1920, to the study of law in the
same institution. He completed his preparation for the legal
profession in the state University of Iowa, which he attended from
September, 1920, until June, 1921.
Mr. Clark was but two years of age when his parents
removed from Everett, Washington, to Battle Creek, Iowa, where the
family home was maintained for a decade, at the end of which time,
in 1907, it was permanently established at Ida Grove. It was on the
1st of July, 1921, that he there joined his father in law practice
as junior member of the firm of Clark & Clark, and he has already
become widely recognized as a young attorney of marked ability in
the work of the courts. He has shown himself well grounded in the
basic principles of jurisprudence, is faithful to his clients and
hold to the highest ethical standards of the profession. He has
made a most commendable record in the position of county attorney of
Ida county, for which office he was nominated and elected in 1922,
1924, and 1926, and in which he has served continuously since
January 1, 1923.
At Ida Grove, Iowa, on the 9th of June, 1924, Mr.
Clark was married to Ferne Rosalia Jones, whose birth occurred at
Charter Oak, Iowa, March 30, 1903, her parents being Frank M. and
Phila Belle (Kepford) Jones. The father, who was born at Iowa City,
Iowa, May 29, 1870, is assistant manager of the Green Bay Lumber
Company at Indianola, this state. The mother, born at Oxford, Iowa,
July 31, 1872, departed this life on the 3d of November, 1919. Mr.
and Mrs. George H. Clark, Jr., are the parents of a daughter,
Shirley Elizabeth, born January 17, 1926. The wife and mother has
membership in the Eastern Star, the Federation of Woman's Clubs and
the Delphian Society.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise
Mr. Clark has supported the men and measures of the republican
party, believing that its principles are most conducive to good
government. His military record shows service between July 14,
1917, the date of his voluntary enlistment, and December 27, 1918,
the date of his honorable discharge. During the months from July,
1917, to May, 1918, he served successively as private, corporal and
sergeant in the One Hundred and Ninth Ammunition Train at Deming,
New Mexico. From May until August, 1918, he served with the Field
Artillery Officers' Training School and from the latter date until
December, 1918, was second lieutenant of United States Field
Artillery, in Battery D, Fiftieth Field Artillery, at Camp Bowie,
Tesas, and Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
The religious faith of Mr. Clark is indicated by his
membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, while in fraternal
circles he is known as a Knight Templar Mason who has also attained
the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and has crossed the
sands of the desert with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He also
belongs to the Greek letter society Alpha Delta Phi an to Phi Alpha
Delta, a professional fraternity. His name is likewise on the
membership rolls of the Commercial Club, the Kiwanis Club, the
American Legion and the Ida Grove Golf and County Club, all of Ida
Grove, and of the Izaak Walton League of America.
C. C. Collester
Dr. Charles C. Collester, a physician of high
reputation, is worthily following in the professional footsteps of
his father and for thirteen years has engaged in practice at
Spencer. He was born November 6, 1885, in Pierre, South Dakota, and
is a son of Dr. Joseph C. and Laura (Chapman) Collester, both
natives of Wellington, Ohio. The father is a man of varied talents
and has achieved success in the fields of literature, education and
medicine. He was superintendent of the public schools of Pierre and
in 1889 came to Spencer. He was long numbered among th leading
medical practitioners of Clay county and since his retirement from
the profession has lived in Whittier, California. He has two
children: Clara, who is the wife of Lloyd C. Jones, of Sheldon,
North Dakota; and Charles C.
Dr. Collester obtained his early education in
Spencer, completing his high school course in 1905, and then
matriculated in the University of Iowa, which he attended for three
years. He next entered the Jefferson Medical College of
Philadelphia and was graduated with the class of 1909. For eighteen
months he was house surgeon at Delaware Hospital in Wilmington,
Delaware, and this was followed by a year's post-graduate work in
London, England. Well equipped for his profession, Dr. Collester
returned to Spencer in 1912 and an extensive practice is indicative
of the confidence reposed in his skill.
On June 30, 1913, Dr. Collester married Miss Ethel
Lewis, of Cleveland, Ohio, and they now have two children, Marion
and Madeline. The Doctor is allied with the republican party and
has attained the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order.
Realizing the importance of his mission, he is constantly striving
to perfect himself in his profession and renders to his fellow
citizens that service which only the experienced medical
practitioner is capable of giving.
E. M. Corbett
Self-made men, who, beginning life in modest
circumstances, have through their inherent ability and their
determined effort along rightly defined lines, achieved success and
have put the impress of their individuality upon their community,
and who affect for good such institutions as are embraced within the
sphere of their usefulness, build monuments more enduring than
marble obelisk or granite shaft. To this class unquestionably
belongs the gentleman whose name forms the caption to this sketch,
for he has literally been the architect of his own fortunes and
today stands in the forefront of the able and successful lawyers of
Iowa. Edward Maloney Corbett was born in Jersey City, New Jersey,
on the 25th of December, 1868, and bore the family name of Maloney.
His parents died when he was a child of four or five years and he
was then sent to the family of William Corbett, a farmer of Cherokee
county, Iowa, where he was reared to manhood, taking the family name
of Corbett. His early years were devoted to farm work and he
attended the district schools. He graduated from the Cherokee high
school in 1890 and then entered the University of the Northwest, now
Morningside College, where he was graduated in 1894, with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts. He next entered the law school of Iowa State
University, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws in
1896. Immediately following his graduation he came to Sioux City
and opened an office in the Security Bank building, where he has
been located since. He practiced alone throughout his professional
career up to 1924, when his son, Carlton M., entered into
partnership with him, under the firm name of Corbett & Corbett. Mr.
Corbett has specialized in corporation and probate law and is now
recognized as one of the leading and most successful corporation and
probate lawyers of the Sioux City bar.
In June, 1899, Mr. Corbett was married to Miss Edith
Van Sickle, and to them have been born three sons: Carlton M., who
was graduated from Morningside College in 1922, with the degree of
Bachelor of Arts, and from the law school of the University of
Chicago, with the degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence, in 1924, is now
in partnership with his father. Edward V. is a student in the South
Dakota State University. Stanley M. is a student in the Sioux City
high school. Mr. Corbett is a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508,
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5,
Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Sioux City
County Club, the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce. He served one term
as president of the latter body. he is a member of the official
board of the First Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Corbett is
prominent in club and social circles, being a member of a number of
women's clubs and other organizations. Mr. Corbett is a man of
broad views and well-defined opinions, a close student of the great
questions of the day, and is a pleasing and effective speaker, being
frequently called upon on public occasions. Friendly and cordial in
his social relations, he has long enjoyed marked popularity
throughout the community.
S. F. Cusack
Sylvester F. Cusack has been prominently and closely
identified with the upbuilding of one of the most important
industries in Sioux City-the Sioux City Serum Company, which is now
the largest concern of its kind in the world, this city now ranking
second in the production of anti-hog cholera serum. There are but
two companies engaged in this business here, while Kansas City,
which ranks first, has about twelve plants in active operation. Mr.
Cusack has devoted himself closely to this business and has had the
pleasure of seeing the patronage grow year after year until now the
company employs ninety people and markets annually over seventy-five
million cubic centimeters of serum.
Sylvester F. Cusack was born in Kansas City,
Missouri, on the 31st day of December, 1887, and is a son of Martin
and Alice (Ryan) Cusack, both of whom were born and reared in
Buffalo, New York. They were married there and subsequently moved
to Kansas City, Missouri, where the father, who is now deceased, was
engaged in the hat making business. Sylvester F. Cusack attended
the Catholic schools of Kansas City and while still a youth went to
work there in the stock yards, where he was connected in various
capacities with meat packers until March, 1913, when he came to
Sioux City and became connected with the Sioux City Serum Company.
In 1915 Mr. Gilchrist and Mr. Cusack acquired the interest of C. I.
Peters in the Sioux City Serum Company and in the reorganization of
the company, William F. Gilchrist, who had been vice-president and
treasurer, became president, and Mr. Cusack became vice-president
and manager, which positions he still retains. He is also
vice-president and manager of the Spring Valley Farm Company, a
subsidiary of the Serum Company. The Farm Company grows and fattens
thousands of hogs annually which are used by the Serum Company for
the production of anti-hog cholera serum.
In 1917 Mr. Cusack was united in marriage to Miss
Pearl Marie De Maranville of Sioux City, and to their union were
born three children, Mary Frances, Alice Kathryn and Raymond Jack.
Mr. Cusack is a member of Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, and of the Knights of Columbus. He is a
member of the Sioux City Country Club, Sioux City Commercial Club.
He is a communicant of the Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic church.
He takes an active interest in all civic affairs, supporting such
movements as are calculated to be for the material, civic or moral
welfare of the community. He is a man of splendid personal
character, possessing to a marked degree the essential attributes of
good citizenship, and is held in held regard by all who know him.
S. L. Cutshall
To such men as Samuel L. Cutshall is the great state
of Iowa indebted for its development and progress along agricultural
lines, for he devoted many years of his life to improvement of his
land, which he brought to a splendid state of productivity, and
while he was advancing his individual interests he was at the same
time contributing to the general prosperity and progress of the
community in which he lived. Samuel L. Cutshall was born at Fort
Wayne, Indiana, November 7, 1845, and is a son of Eli and Dorcas
(Price) Cutshall, who were natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania
respectively, and went to Indiana in an early day, the father
devoting his attention to farming pursuits there until 1839. In
1855 he came to Iowa, locating in Buchanan county, where he
continued farming during the remaining active years of his life. To
him and his wife were born eleven children, of which number six are
Samuel L. Cutshall received his educational training
in the public schools of Indiana and Iowa. He remained at home
until October, 1863, when he enlisted in Company B, Fourth Regiment,
Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, with which command he served until the close
of the war, taking part in a number of hard-fought engagements,
through which he came without injury. He was mustered out of the
service at Atlanta, Georgia, August 8, 1865, and returned home,
where he remained until his marriage, in 1870, when he rented a farm
in Black Hawk county, Iowa, living there for two years. In the fall
of 1871 he came to Clay county and took up a homestead of one
hundred and sixty acres in Lake township, to which he later added
eighty acres by purchase. he is still the owner of the two hundred
and forty acres, all of which he improved, erecting a good set of
farm buildings and otherwise making of it one of the best and most
productive farms in that locality. In 1906 Mr. Cutshall moved to
Dickens, where he bought ten acres of land, which he improved and on
which he lived until 1915, when he sold that place and bought a nice
home in Spencer, where he now resides, enjoying the fruits of his
former years of earnest and well-directed effort.
On March 10, 1870, Mr. Cutshall was united in
marriage to Miss Janette Moyer, a native of Ohio, and daughter of
Isaac and Betsy A. (Leach) Moyer. To them have been born eleven
children, ten of whom are living as follows: A. B.; Mary D., the
wife of Roy C. Swingley, of Minnesota; Fred B., who lives in
California; Effie L., the wife of J. O. Davidson; Raymond L.; Samuel
G., who lives in California; Ruby J., the wife of A. W. Johnson, of
Montana; Inez Belle, at home; Eugene H., who lives on the Home farm;
Laura P., the wife of Martin Peterson, of California; and William,
who died when eight months old. Politically, Mr. Cutshall is a
republican and has served as school treasurer and commissioner, as
well as in other local offices. He is a member of Annett Post, No.
124, G. A. R., and he and his wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church. He has been true and loyal in every relation of
life and has so ordered his actions as to command the unqualified
respect of his fellow citizens.