Henry County Churches
The Methodists of Wayland
Methodism was established with the early pioneers in Iowa Territory. The different classes were served by itinerant ministers. The Marshall Class (note: Wayland was first named Marshall) was organized by Rev. J. L. Kirkpatrick in 1840. The eight members of the class were Thomas Gaskill Sr., his wife Nancy, and daughter Sarah, George Warren, Sally Warren, Ruth Warren, William A. Warren, and Elizabeth Warren.
The first church in Marshall was built of logs in 1844 and stood near the north part of the present cemetery. The plot of ground was deeded by Sarah Warren to the Trustees of the church, and was dated March 5, 1846.
The second church was built on the site of the present church and was dedicated January 9, 1856. After a number of years this building was moved across the road and made into a community building. Later it burned down.
The present church (October 28, 1990) was dedicated December 4, 1892, after the town’s name had been changed to Wayland. The congregation was known as Methodist Episcopal until 1939 when it became Wayland Methodist.
The first parsonage was built in 1871, the location being on what is now Main Street. The building was sold and moved to Second Street to make possible the construction of the second parsonage at the same location in 1907.
After the merger of the United Brethren and Methodist congregations in 1968, the name of the church and its congregation became the First United Methodist Church of Wayland.
1975, four congregations, Finley Chapel, Cotton, Trenton and Wayland formed the
New Life Parish. The parsonage property on Main Street was sold in 1979. On May
31, 1981, a new parsonage for the parish was dedicated. It is located in Brooks
Ministers – Marshall Mission
Armstrong – 1854
Ministers – Wayland
Transcribed and uploaded to Henry County GenWeb with permission of Della Boshart, researcher and writer of the above for the special services of The Methodist Church of Wayland 1840-1990
Church Index *** Henry County Home