Henry County, IAGenWeb
MOUNT PLEASANT CITY - 1879
From "The History of Henry County, Iowa.
Containing a History of the County, its Cities, Towns and Census."
Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1879.
Updated by Conni McDaniel Hall, October 2017
ANDERSON, ELIJAH, butcher.
ALLEN, JOHN N. Clerk
of the Courts of Henry County, born in Rockingham Co., Va., January 12, 1834,
came to Iowa and located in Henry County, September, 1856. He was engaged as a
clerk in a store for some years;
Deputy Postmaster for six years. Enlisted in the 25th regiment, I.V.I.,
Co. H; after being mustered in, he received an injury in camp which prevented
his going in the field with the regiment; afterward enlisted in the 45th
regiment, I.V.I. Co. A. He was elected Clerk of the Courts I 1870; re-elected in
1872; re-elected in 1874-76; and also at the recent elections in 1878; and is
now serving his fifth term. He married Miss Ellen D. Allen from Ohio, in April,
1859. They have one daughter—Kate. Lost two children.
attorney at law; was born in 1821 ; lived in Pittsburgh, Penn.; in 1840 went to
Ohio and commenced reading law; after completing his studies, he was admitted to
the bar and practiced his profession in Salem, Columbiana Co., Ohio, for ten
years; he came to Iowa first in 1854; located permanently at Mt. Pleasant in
October, 1856; he associated with Mr. Woolson in the practice of law for some
years; has practiced here for over twenty years; his brother, Richard, is now
associated with him; he has been connected with the Wesleyan University for some
years as Law Professor. Married Louisa Phillips from Stark Co., Ohio; has six
children—Nellie (now Mrs. W. H. Campbell of St. Joseph; she was Preceptress
and Professor of English Literature in the University); Fannie (now Mrs. D. G.
Higley of Fairfield; Ione, Pauline, Glauces S. (married and living at Colorado
Springs, Colo.), Louie, Iowa.
BABCOCK, N.E., farmer.
BABB, W.I., attorney at law, firm of Woolson & Babb; born in Des Moines Co., Iowa Oct. 2, 1844; he came to Henry County in 1860; received his education at the Iowa Wesleyan University. During the war he enlisted in the 8th regiment I.V.C. and served as Quartermaster’s Sergeant until the close of the war. Returned here and completed his education and graduated in 1866. He studied law with Messrs. H. & R. Ambler, and wa admitted to the bar in the fall of 1867; has practiced his profession here; and for the past six years has been associated with Hon. John S. Woolson. He held office of City Attorney for eight years. Is a Democrat; in the late elections held Nov. 1878 he received the nomination from his part for the office of District Judge; he carried his own county by a large majority, receiving the support of both parties and his opponent was elected by a majority of only 116 votes. He married Miss Alice Bird from Mt. Pleasant Oct. 9, 1873; they have two children—Max and Millie.
GEO. O, proprietor of
the Brazelton House; born in New Bedford, Mass, Nov. 3, 1844 and was raised in
that State. He married Miss Mary A. Williamson from Philadelphia; they came to
Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1878, and became proprietor of the Brazelton
House. Have one son—Sammy Lewis.
H.M., DR., First
Assistant Physician and Surgeon of the Iowa State Hospital for the Insane; born
in Lorain Co., Ohio, Jan. 1, 1840, he received his education in Cleveland; he
studies medicine and graduated at the Western Reserve College in 1863, and
immediately entered the army as Assistant Surgeon of the 113th Regt.
Ohio Inf.; very soon after was commissioned Surgeon of the 121st
Regt. Ohio Vol. Inf., and held that position until the close of the war. He came
to Mt. Pleasant in 1865 and since has been connected with the Iowa Hospital for
the Insane; he was physician in charge for two years from 1873 to 1875, during
the absence of Dr. Rancey; has been connected officially with the institution
longer than any other officer. He married Miss Ellen P. Melendy of Cedar Falls,
Iowa, Oct. 31, 1873. They have two children---Elmer M. and Fred.
BAUGH, L.G., firm of Leedham & Baugh, lumber dealers and manufacturers of sash, doors, and blinds; born in Loudon Co., Va., in January, 1827; his parents removed to Ohio, when he was 4 years of age; there he learned the trade of millwright and the milling business; came to Iowa in 1857, and located in Mt. Pleasant; has been associated with H.K. Leedham for the past six years; they do an extensive business. He married Miss Jane Darst, from near Dayton, Ohio, in June, 1853; she was a daughter of John Darst, the Dunkard minister, and one of the earliest settlers of Miami Co, Ohio; they have two children- John, Flora, was a graduate of both the high school and the University, and Julia, would have graduated at the high school within a month previous to her death if she had lived; all died within one month of diphtheria, in 1874.
WRAY, Professor of Natural Sciences in the Iowa Wesleyan University; born in
Ireland Jan. 6, 1831; he came with his parents to America when only 3 years of
age; they located in Eastern Ohio, where he received his education at the Ohio
Wesleyan University, of Delaware; graduated from that institution; he came to
Iowa in 1855; became connected with the University and has been connected with
that institution longer than any of his Professors; has also studied medicine
and is a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College. On the 1st day of January,
1856, upon the occasion of a leap year party, he married Miss Phebe J. Jenkins,
of Hillsboro, Montgomery Co., Ill.; their wedding was a complete surprise to
their friends. Prof. Hull, of Agency City, was married at the same time and at
the same place. Mrs. Beattie was engaged in teaching in the University when
Senator Harlan was its President. Prof. and Mrs. Beattie have two children-
Charles, born May 5, 1859, and Helen La Rue, born Feb. 15, 1864; lost one
daughter- Jessie Irene.
BOWMAN, H.M., of the firm of Bowman & Kaufman, elevator and grain business, coal and seeds; born in Lancaster Co, Penn., April 24, 1844; he came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1866; he engaged with J.W. Castor, afterward with Castor & Farwell, in the grain business; associating with Mr. Kaufman, he engaged in the grain and coal business. He married Miss Amanda Cleaver, from Washington Co, Penn., in 1871; they have two children- Gertie and Florence.
CAHAIL, EDWARD, laborer.
CAHAIL, EDWARD, laborer.
COLE BROTHERS, manufacturers, wholesale and retail dealers in pumps and lightning-rods. Among the enterprising business men of Mt. Pleasant is the firm of Cole Bros., composed of R.S., J.W., J.J., and W.R. Cole. The pumps and lightning-rods sold by this house are manufactured by them at their extensive works, which are located at Greencastle, Ind., under the supervision of J.W. Cole who resides there. J.J. Cole lives in St. Louis; R.S. and W.R. Cole reside here. The firm do a large an extensive business, which extends over Iowa, Nebraska, Kanasa, Texas and Arkansas. William R. Cole, who has the management of the business here was born in Dearborn Co., Ind., Aug. 12, 1828; he came to Iowa and located in Henry Co. in the fall of 1840, attended school here and entered Lombard University at Galesburg, Ill. where he went through his college course, he completed his education at the Harvard Divinity School at Cambridge, Mass; he was in the ministry of the Universalist Church from 1864 to 1874, when he became connected with the active management of the business of the firm here. He married Miss Cordelia Throop of New York in the fall of 1857; they have six children - E.C., Ralph G., H.A., Clara, Ollie and Arthur; lost one daughter.
A.W., Vice President of the Comstock Scale Works, born in Hamilton Co., Ohio,
near Cincinnati, Dec. 23, 1827; his parents came to Iowa when he was 7 years of
age and located in Des Moines co., near Burlington; after reaching manhood he
was engaged in the nursery business for a number of years; he came to Mt.
Pleasant in March, 1870; engaged in the lumber business. Previous to coming here
he was connected with the Scale Works in Burlington and became familiar with the
imperfections of the scales in use, and, in 1874, he invented what is known as
the Comstock Scale, and began the manufacture of them in 1876; the Comstock
Scale Works were organized, and he was elected Vice President of the company -
which is doing a good business. He was Captain of a company of militia in Des
Moines Co., and was afterward elected Colonel of the regiment and was
commissioned by Gov. Stone. He married Miss Sarah Ann Avery, July 4, 1849; she
was a daughter of Robert Avery, of Macoupin Co., Ill; she came to Iowa in 1835;
they have six children - Laura (now Mrs. H. Clark), Stella (now Mrs. D.
Saunders), Henry W., Jennie, Mary and Alice. The parents of Mrs. Comstock are
still living near Burlington and are both over 80 years of age.
CRANE, B.H., merchant, dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, and agricultural instruments; born in Portage Co., Ohio, Nov. 20, 1838; came with his parents to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1853; he completed his education here. Enlisted in the 25th Regiment, I.V.I., Co. B; was promoted through all the non-commissioned offices of his company; then commissioned Second Lieutenant, and detailed as Lieutenant and Aide-de-camp on Staff duty; was in twenty-seven distinct engagements; wounded in the battle of Chattanooga, and was in the service three years. After the war he returned and has been engaged in business for the past ten years. He married Miss Abbie E. Mellen, from Quincy, Ill., Jan. 2, 1866; they have six children - Ann M., Bert W., Laura E., Fred B., George and Julius H.
CULLUM, R.H., dental surgeon; born in Franklin Co, Ind., May 30, 1848; he studied dentistry and practiced there until coming to Iowa; located in Mt. Pleasant in 1876, succeeding Dr. Hildreth in the practice of his profession. He married Miss Sarah E. Beeson, from Indiana, in June, 1872; they have one daughter, Mary R.
Currin, Mike, laborer.
B.F., railroad employe.
DAVIDSON, JAMES R., Sheriff of Henry Co; born in Westmoreland Co, Penn, Jan. 26, 1832; in 1856, he removed to Ohio; lived there two years; came to Iowa, and located in Van Buren Co in 1858; to Henry Co. in 1866 and since then has lived here. He has held office of Justice of the Peace for ten years; has been Town Clerk, and filled other town offices; was elected Sheriff of Henry Co. fall of 1877. He married Miss Rachel J. Jordan, from Fayette Co, Penn., Oct. 7, 1852; they have five children- Lavina, now Mrs. Pope, of this Co., John C., Roger A., Anna, Johnson W.; Lottie B., a daughter, died Nov. 25, 1876.
DAWSON, ELIAS, of the firm of Elias Dawson & Co., meat market; was born in Springfield, Ill, Jan 9, 1844; came with his parents to Iowa when 10 years of age; they located in Mt. Pleasant in July, 1854. Enlisted in the 4th I.V.C. Co. C.; was musician in the brass band. He has been engaged in business for the past ten years. He married Miss Sarah E. Davis, from Marietta, Ohio, in October, 1867; they have one son - Frank A., lost one daughter - Susie.
James M., butcher.
DRAYER, JOHN BREITENBACH, Circuit Judge of the First Judicial Circuit; was born in Lebanon, Lebanon Co, Penn., on the 7th of April, 1823; his parents were Joseph Drayer, watchmaker and Henrietta Breitenbach, both of German descent; the families were among the early emigrants from the old world to Pennsylvania; the grandfather of John B. spelled his name Dreher; Joseph changed the orthography, but retained the German pronunciation; the family removed to Hamilton, Ohio, when Joseph was 10 years old, and there he learned the trade of his father and worked at it until his 19th year, with no literary education except what he obtained in a common and high school; at 19 he commenced reading law with Hon. John Woods, since a member of Congress from Ohio and admitted to practice in April, 1844, when just 21 years old; he practiced at Hamilton about eight years; then at Eaton, Preble Co., until March, 1858, when he removed to Mount Pleasant. In 1862 he entered the service as Captain of Co. H., 30th I.V.I. and after seven months was obliged to resign his commission on account of ill-health. He was elected County Judge in 1863 and served from January, 1864, to January, 1869, when he went on the bench; has been re-elected twice, the last time without opposition, and his third term will not expire until of Dec. 31, 1879; as a jurist, he is scrupulously conscientious and painstaking, studying each case with the utmost diligence, and his decisions are rarely reversed; as a Probate Judge, it is doubtful if he has a superior in the State; in all the relations of life he has shown himself a man of the strictest integrity. Judge Drayer has been a member of the M.E. Church since 1846, and at one time since locating in Iowa, he preached for two years, resigning a pastorate in the Brookville Circuit to go into the army; his Christian record, as well as the ermine which he has worn so long, is unsoiled. The Judge was originally a Whig, and one the demise of that party promptly, and with hearty sympathy, cast in his fortunes with the noble party of freedom; before becoming Judge he was an active politician; he has lost none of his attachment to the principles of the Republican party, but in his official position his intimate sense of propriety deters him from active partisanship. He has taken the second degree in Odd Fellowship. Judge Drayer has a third wife; his first, Miss Mary M. Withrow, of Butler Co., Ohio; married Jan. 5, 1847, died July 22, 1852, leaving two children, both now deceased; his second wife, Miss Mary J. McCabe, of Eaton, Ohio; married Feb. 21, 1854, had one child, and died Oct. 13, 1871; his present wife was Miss Amanda Baird, of Butler Co., Ohio; married Dec. 24, 1872; she has one child; of the two children by his first wife, a son, Samuel J., died at 6 years of age; the other, Marietta, was the wife of George W. Curfman, of Fairfield, died March 9, 1873; the child by his second wife, Anna, is the wife of William R. Sullivan, Secretary of a scale company of Mount Pleasant. Judge Drayer had a hard struggle in early life, but overcame all obstacles and pushed manfully forward until he reached his present position; should his life be prolonged, he has more history, equally honorable to make.
EDWARDS, MARTIN LUTHER, was born in New Milford, Litchfield, Co., Conn., Nov. 6, 1816; the eldest of seven children; father was the same name; his grandfather was Edward Edwards of Welsh descent, emigrated from London, Eng. just before the Revolutionary war and settled in New Milford; mother, the daughter of Nathan Hoyt of same place. The family removed to Warwick, Orange Co., N.Y. in 1821, residing there until 1826; lived several years with Grandfather Hoyt, including part of the time the family was in New York, working on the farm; in 1826, the whole family, father, mother and seven children, moved to Ohio, going all the way in a two-horse wagon; settled permanently in Canfield; then Trumbull, and since Mahoning Co., where some of the family have resided ever since, excepting one year in Steubenville, Ohio; received only a common-school education; mostly in Connecticut; learned the trade of chairmaker and painter with his father; taught school several terms in Canfield, Boardman and Poland, Ohio; also, afterward in Switzerland Co., Ind.; read law some in the offices of Seldon, Haynes, in Poland and of Messrs. Whittlesey & Newton, in Canfield; having taken the silk and mulberry fever, with two others, left home in the spring of 1837; never afterward returning, except on visit; located at Patriot, Switzerland Co., Ind., and engaged in raising mulberry trees, morus multicanles, etc; made a little money raising and selling trees; none in raising silk; left the business after a year or two; lost what was so made through unwise investments and fall of property, following the crash of 1837; was a minister of the Gospel, of the Universalist Church, for about ten years, from 1841 to 1851; laboring in Washington and adjoining counties in Iowa. Was married June 5, 1844, to Lucy Rebecca, daughter of Hon. O.R. Loring, of Belpre, Washington Co., Ohio; in November, 1847, removed from Belpre to Iowa, and located at Mt. Pleasant; soon after arrival purchased and moved into the house he now occupies; was chosen Judge of Henry Co., August, 1851; serving as such four years; was afterward Justice of the Peace; Mayor of the city; at different times a member of the City Council; for many years a member of the School Board, or otherwise connected with it; was admitted to the bar of Henry Co. in November, 1864; engaged in other business; has practiced at the bar but little, excepting a few of the first years, and then mostly in connection with probate matters; has been connected with the Iowa Hospital for the Insane at Mt. Pleasant ever since August, 1857, as Secretary of the Board of Building Commissioners and Accountant, to July, 1862; as Trustee and Secretary of the Board of Trustees from July, 1862, to July, 1874; as Treasurer of the institution from July, 1866, to the present date; in all over twenty-one years. As to politics, strongly Antislavery from early youth; always supporting some party having that aim; a Republican from the first organization of the party; afterward supporting for the Presidency, Horace Greeley and Peter Cooper. In religious faith, Universalist. Mrs. E. died in May, 1870; has since remained unmarried; has no children living; since 1870, the family has consisted of self and widowed sister, Emma E. Curtiss, whose husband had previously deceased in California, and her daughter, Alice G. Curtiss.
ESHELMAN, CHARLES B., merchant, dealer in clothing and gents furnishing goods; born in Mt. Pleasant, in July, 1853; his father was an early settler and one of the oldest merchants in Henry Co., Charles B., attended Howe's Academy; then went East and completed his education at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and Andover, Mass; he has been connected with the clothing business since a boy, except when in school; the past two years has been in business for himself.
ESHELMAN, JOHN, of the firm of Eshelman & Humphrey, dealers in clothing and gents' furnishing goods; born in Union Co., Penn., in 1821; when 12 years of age, removed to Lebanon Co., where he learned the trade of merchant tailor; came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant October, 1845, being one of the early settlers; engaged in merchant tailoring; has been in the clothing trade over twenty-five years; only two or three merchants here have been engaged in business as long. Has held the office of City Councilman. Married Mrs. Maria P. Elkins, from Vermont, Oct. 11, 1847; she died June 7, 1874, leaving two children - Emma L., (now Mrs. Humphrey of Chicago), and Charles B., engaged in the clothing business in this city. Mrs. E. died June 7, 1874.
ESHELMAN, REUBEN, dealer in clothing and gents' furnishing goods; born in Lebanon Co., Penn, July 10, 1829; learned the tailor trade when 19 years of age; came to Mt. Pleasant in September, 1848; has been engaged in the clothing trade the past twenty-five years. He had nothing when he came, and by industry and good management, has built up an extensive business; he also established a house in Fairfield and carried on business there for some time and sold out his interest. Married Miss Annie B. Hildebrand, of Pennsylvania, in January, 1866; she came to this State when only 3 years of age; they have one son - Daniel Fred, and twin daughters, Annie May and Hattie Maple; lost one son.
FAGAN, MIKE, laborer.
FARR, LEONARD, retired farmer; born in Chittenden Co., Vt.,
April 1, 1814; at the age of 18, moved to Ohio and engaged in teaching for
about five years; then removed to Virginia, and engaged in teaching there for
nine years. While in Virginia, he became
acquainted with Miss Margaret D. Bush, from Augusta, Va., and they were married
Feb. 22, 1848; they came to Iowa the same year, and arrived in Mt. Pleasant on
Christmas Day, 1848; the snow at that
time was thirty inches deep, and Mrs. Farr says that she did not see the ground
for three months. Mr. Farr engaged in
teaching for several years, and in improving his land; he taught the Seminary
at Salem for two years. He has held the
office of Superintendent of Schools of Henry Co. When he commenced life, he had nothing, and
now owns 1,400 acres of land in Henry Co.
They have no children.
Faucett, Isaac J., ex-County Recorder.
FLUKE, GEORGE W., dairyman; was born in Ashland Co.,
Ohio. He came to Iowa in 1863; to Mt.
Pleasant in 1871, and engaged in the dairy business, and by industry and good
management, he has established a good trade; sells his milk in Mt. Pleasant -
and supplies the largest part of the demand.
He owns from thirty-five to fifty milch cows.
Foley, Joseph, laborer.
FITZGERALD, JOHN J., attorney, firm of Bereman &
Fitzgerald; born in Fleming Co., Ky., Jan. 5, 1856; his mother came here when
he was very young. He was educated here;
graduated at the high school; entered college and graduated. He studied law with Messrs. Woolson &
Babb, and was admitted to the bar in 1877; he has recently associated with Maj.
T.A. Bereman in the practice of law.
Married Miss Anna A. Smith Oct. 31, 1878; she was a daughter of the late
Henry Smith, Esq., of Pekin, Ill., for a long time one of the most prominent
business men of that place.
Fuller, Harrison, clerk.
GAMMAGE, G., speculator.
GILLIS, JAMES L., JUDGE, retired; was born in Hebron,
Washington Co., N.Y., Oct. 7, 1792, where he was brought up until 18 years of
age, when he removed to Ontario Co., in 1810.
Upon the breaking-out of the war of 1812, he enlisted in the New York
volunteers and was commissioned and served as lieutenant of Cavalry; he was in
a number of battles; among others was the battle of Fort George, Chippewa,
Lundy’s Lane and many other fights and skirmishes; he was wounded at the battle
of Lundy’s Lane; he was taken prisoner three miles above Fort Erie, Aug. 7, 1814,
and was confined while a prisoner, in jail at Toronto, Kingston, Prescott and
Montreal; while held in confinement at the latter place, he sent word to the
Governor General of the Canadas, who came and visited him and ordered his
release from jail and sent him to a good hotel with special orders that he
should be well cared for; he was soon sent to Quebec and exchanged. After the close of the war, he returned to
New York; he went to Pennsylvania in 1822 and located in Jefferson Co., which
was then a wilderness; his nearest neighber in one direction was sixteen miles,
and in another twenty-four miles distant; the first year he was there, he
cleared 100 acres of land and built a grist-mill and made other improvements;
the nearest post office was seventy miles distant, with a mail once in two
weeks; in 1825, he engaged in cutting and manufacturing lumber; he floated the
first lumber on the Clarion River and was the pioneer lumber manufacturer in
that section of the country, and continued until 1862. He held the office of Associate Judge in Elk
and Jefferson Cos., Penn., being appointed by Gov. David R. Porter; he served
three terms in the State Legislature and represented his district in State
Senate for three terms; he was elected Member of Congress in 1856, and
represented his district for two terms during the administration of Andrew
Jackson, and was an intimate friend; he was also well acquainted with Henry
Clay, Calhoun, Silas Wright and Daniel Webster; during the administration of
President Buchanan, he was appointed Indian Agent and served for three
years. Judge Gillis has been twice
married; he married Miss Mary B. Ridgeway, from Philadelphia, in 1816; she died
Jan. 29, 1826; in 1828, he married Cecelia A. Berry, from New York; she died in
April, 1855; of ten children nine survive--Charles B. is living here; James H.
is in the United States navy, Captain of the receiving-ship Franklin, at
Norfolk, Va.; B.W., lives in Richmond, Va.; Robert S. is living here; Claudius
V. and Jeannette C. live in Pennsylvania; Mary B. lives in Detroit; Augusta E.
lives in New York, and Cecelia A. lives in Beardstown, Ill. Judge Gillis came to Mt. Pleasant in _____,
and since then has resided here; there are very few men of the last century now
living who have lived such an eventful life and whose vigor of mind remains so
clear and unimpaired.
Gillis, R. S., Assistant Cashier National State Bank.
GIMBLE, O. J., dealer in groceries and provisions; born in
Germany, Feb. 26, 1831; came to America when 4 years of age; came to Iowa, and
located in Mt. Pleasant in the spring of 1857.
He has been engaged in mercantile business since 1864. He married Miss Clara Smith, from
Pennsylvania, in December, 1855; they have three children--Ida C., Charles B.
and Anna M.
Ginn, Isaac S., teamster.
GREUSEL, NICHOLAS, COL.; was born in Bavaria, Germany, July
4, 1817; his parents and nine brothers and sisters emigrated to America in
1834; after arriving in New York the first person who gave Nicholas employment
was the mother of Hamilton Fish, Secretary of State under President Grant; the
following year the whole family removed to Michigan, arriving in Detroit Nov.
1, 1835; in the spring of 1836, Nicholas entered the employ of Rice, Coffin
& Co., in the lumber business, and remained with them eleven years, until
the breaking-out of the Mexican war, when he recruited a company for service
and was elected Captain of Co. D, 1st Regt. Mich. Vols.; they
marched on foot to Springfield, Ohio; thence to Cincinnati, and by steamer to
Vera Cruz; in the march on the City of Mexico, their progress through the
country was almost a continuous battle with guerillas; in 1847, the war closed
and he returned to Detroit; he was appointed Superintendent of the City Water
Works in 1847, and Inspector General of lumber for the State of Michigan in
1848, and held that office for two years; then engaged in railroading. When the war broke out, he was the first
volunteer from Aurora; recruited a company at Aurora, and was elected Major of
the 7th Ill. V. I.; when the Fox River regiment was organized, Aug.
14, 1861, Lieut. Col. Greusel was commissioned Colonel, and took the regiment
in the field; he was in many severe battles--at Pea Ridge, siege of Corinth,
Perryville, Stone River and others; he commanded a brigade under Gen. Sheridan
over one year; there were few officers in whom Gen. Sheridan, and the
commanders in the Army of the Cumberland, had as great confidence as in Col.
Greusel; on account of ill-health, he was obliged to resign his commission; he
issued his farewell address to the 36th regiment and to his brigade
at Camp Sheridan, Salem, Tenn., Feb. 9, 1863; his regiment, the 36th
Illinois, was the healthiest regiment in the Army of the West; he was presented
with a silver-plated revolver for the best drilled regiment in the Army of the
Cumberland. Col. G. came to Mt. Pleasant
in 1864; was appointed Roadmaster of the B. & M. R.R., and since then has
resided here; at the re-union of the surviving members of the 36th
regiment, held at Aurora, Ill., he was presented with a gold medal bearing this
inscription: “Presented to N. Greusel, first volunteer from Aurora in the late
rebellion;” he was also presented with a handsome gold headed cane at a
re-union of his regiment; as time passes their regard for their old commander
increases. Col. Greusel married Miss
Jane Doumens, of Windsor, Can., June 22, 1839; they have eight
children--Josephine, Edwin S., Lizzie F., John O., Rachel, Nettie, Susie,
Philip S.; lost one son--Joseph, who was killed in the army.
Griffith, Joel E., gardener.
HARBIN, J. C., real estate and insurance agent; born in
North Carolina Nov. 20, 1810; lived there until 20 years of age; moved to Indiana
in 1830; he prepared himself for the ministry and joined the Indiana
Conference, and was connected with it until 1845; he came to Iowa in 1849, and
settled in Washington Co., and , on account of his health, engaged in farming;
in 1861, he was appointed pastoral supply of a church for a time; he was
engaged in mercantile business in Washington, Washington Co.; he came to Mt.
Pleasant in 1865, and since then has been engaged in insurance and real estate
business. Mr. Harbin has been married
three times; he married his present wife, Catharine Brown, from Westchester,
Penn., in 1862; they have one daughter--Lillia May; he has one son by his first
wife, and one son and one daughter by his second wife.
Hardin, Thornton, painter.
HARLAN, JAMES, HON.; was born Aug. 26, 1820, in Clark Co.,
Ill.; his parents, Silas and Mary Conley Harlan, were farmers. The paternal ancestors came of English stock,
and settled originally in South Carolina, from whence they moved to
Pennsylvania; his mother’s father served in the American army during the
Revolution. Silas Harlan located in
Parke Co., Ind., when his son James was three years old, and engaged in
farming. James remained upon the farm
until he was 25 years of age. His
education was received at Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind., then under the
Presidency of Bishop Simpson. He
graduated in 1845, came to Iowa and located in at Iowa City, where he began the
study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1847. He practiced his profession until 1853; at
that time he was chosen to the Presidency of
the Iowa Wesleyan University, at Mt. Pleasant. In 1855, he was elected to the United States
Senate, his term beginning March 4; he resigned the Presidency of the
University, but for a number of terms filled the Chair of International Law
therein. Mr. Harlan, in politics, was a
Whig; is now a Republican. His first
speech in the Senate was delivered March 27, 1856, on the subject of the
admission of Kansas to the Union; he at once established his position as an
orator and a logician. The history of
his eventful career in public life is far too important to be abbreviated into
such space as is available here.
Elsewhere, is given an account of the unseating of the Senator, and his
return by a prompt and highly complimentary vote of the Iowa Legislature. Senator Harlan was re-elected to the Senate
in 1861, and resigned on the 15th of May, 1865, to accept the
portfolio of the Interior Department, under an appointment made by President
Lincoln prior to his assassination.
After serving a time under President Johnson, Secretary Harlan was again
elected to the Senate, serving a full term from March 4, 1867. From the time when the Republican party
became dominant in the Senate to the date of his retiring from his high post,
Senator Harlan held commanding places in the Committees of the Senate; he was
Chairman of the Committee on Public Lands, an office which he was especially
qualified to hold. Subsequently, he was
Chairman of the Committees on Indian Affairs, and on the District of Columbia;
of the former, and of the Committee on the Pacific Railroad, he was a member
for more than three-fourths of his Congressional life. He must be regarded as one of the most
influential persons in shaping the Government policy in regard to the disposal
of the public domain, the homestead bill, educational matters, agricultural
affairs, internal improvements, foreign emigration, general religious matters,
meteorological service as applied to agriculture, organization of Territories,
universal suffrage, and many subjects relating to the welfare and prosperity of
the people. He was the friend and
adviser of President Lincoln, a fact which speaks trumpet-tongued of his
sterling worth and profound abilities.
In 1849, Mr. Harlan was nominated as the Whig candidate for Governor,
but it was ascertained that he was not old enough to accept the position
tendered him, and James L. Thompson, of Johnson Co., was substituted
instead. In 1861, Gov. Kirkwood
appointed Senator Harlan a member of the Peace Congress. The wife of Senator Harlan was Miss Ann Eliza
Peck, of Maysville, Ky. They were
married in October, 1845, and of four children which they have had, but one
survives---Mary E., wife of Robert T. Lincoln, son of President Lincoln; two of
the children died in early childhood, and William A. at 23 years of age.
Harley, S. W.
HIGGINS, JOHN A., Street Commissioner; born in Chittenden
Co., Vt., Sept. 7, 1827; when nine years of age, his parents removed to Portage
Co., Ohio, and lived there three years; he came with them by wagon to Iowa, and
they arrived in Mt. Pleasant June, 1839; were five weeks on the way, and among
the early settlers here; the following year, Mr. Higgins carried the mail on a
mule from Mt. Pleasant to Fairfield, making two trips a week; there were only
half a dozen cabins between the two places on the road. Mr. Higgins has held the office of Street
Commissioner for the past fourteen years.
He married Miss Mary E. Coburn, from Chillicothe, Ohio, in May, 1852;
they have one son, Arthur T.; have lost two daughters.
Higgins, James O., blacksmith.
HILL, S. ENOCH, retired; born in New Jersey, near Trenton,
on the Delaware River, April 8, 1802; after reaching manhood, he engaged in
business in Philadelphia and New York.
Jan. 30, 1827, he married Miss Delia A. Stillwell, from New York City, a
daughter of Dr. Stillwell. Mr. and Mrs.
Hill emigrated to Iowa by canal and river, and arrived in Burlington [then
called Flint Hills], on the old steamboat Galena, Nov. 2, 1836. In 1837, he built a mill on Big Creek, about
four miles from here; hired a man to teach school in his own house, and paid
him $300 a year; he afterward gave the lumber to build a schoolhouse there;
they came to this county about Nov. 1, 1838.
He sawed the lumber for the building on the square; he engaged in the
mercantile business, and had an extensive trade; in 1856, retired from active
business; has contributed liberally to railroads, churches and educational
institutions; is now enjoying the results of a long and useful life; they have
been married over fifty-one years and have two children--Cordelia [now Mrs.
Chamberlain, of Burlington] and William R., of this city; they have lost one son,
Hill, W. R., capitalist.
HOUSEMAN, JOHN F., firm of Newbold & Houseman,
merchants; born in Mt. Pleasant March 15, 1845; his parents were early
settlers; received his education here at the Iowa Wesleyan University. He enlisted in the4th I. V. C.,
Co. D, and was in the service two years.
After his return, he engaged in business. In the Fall of 1873 was elected Treasurer of
Henry Co. and held that office for two years; he was Secretary of the Henry Co.
Agricultural Society four years and is a member of the Board of Education. He has recently associated with ex-governor
Newbold in the mercantile business. He
married Miss Estella M. Bell, from Pennsylvania, Sept. 19, 1867; they have
three children--Frank, Charlie and Hanson.
Howe, Charles, merchant.
HOWE, SAMUEL L., deceased; was born in Vermont in 1808; in
1818, moved with his parents to Licking Co., Ohio; he early resolved to gain a
liberal education, defrayed the greater part of his expenses through Athens
University, by cutting wood and doing other work about the institution; he was
not ashamed to work and the discipline and habit of his school days left an impress
upon his character which marked his after life; after completing his literary
studies, he turned his attention to the study of law; soon abandoned this and
began teaching, as more in keeping with his tastes; in Ohio, he was very
successful, and established a good reputation as an educator. In the autumn of 1841, removed to Iowa and
settled on a farm three miles east of Mt. Pleasant; the following winter taught
in a log school house; in 1849, he removed into the village and opened a school
in the old log jail, and afterward
taught in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church building; about this time
inaugurated his high school and female seminary; of this school , he was
Principal during the remainder of his life.
In the school which he established at Lancaster, Ohio, General and
Senator Sherman were among his pupils, and during his famous march to the sea,
in 1864, in conversation with Gen. George A. Stone, Gen. Sherman said: “Prof.
Howe I consider to be the best teacher in the United States; nay more,” he added
with peculiar emphasis, “I am more indebted to him for my first start in life
then to any other man in America.” But
recently ex-Gov. Saunders, of Nebraska, now United Senator, wrote to Mr. Howe’s
son: “It is to the kindness of your father that I am indebted for much of my
success in life.” While teaching at
Lancaster, Ohio, Mr. Howe published a treatise on Grammar, entitled Howe’s
Philotaxian Grammar; this manual was reprinted in Chicago in 1871, and again in
Detroit in 1874, and it is now widely adopted in the schools throughout the
country. Mr. Howe was superintendent of
the schools of Henry Co. for several terms, and resigned that office a few
weeks prior to his death; his life was not solely devoted to educational
interests; every worthy cause found in him ardent support. In 1849, the first Antislavery paper in Iowa
was established, called “The Iowa Freeman.”
Identifying himself with this paper, Mr. Howe soon acquired exclusive
control, removed the office to his own building, changed the name to The Iowa
True Democrat, and for several years issued it as an Antislavery sheet; he was
one of the leaders of the Free-Soil Party in Iowa, and an eloquent advocate of
woman’s suffrage, of temperance and of the abolition of the death penalty, and
fought with his might the land monopoly.
Before attaining his majority, in 1829, he married Miss Charlotte
Perrin; they had nine children--Oscar P., Elizabeth W., Warrington P., Edward
P., Hayward H., Mary Frances, Samuel L., Seward C. and Cora Belle; all but two
survive to comfort and cheer the declining years of their widowed mother. Mr. Howe was for many years a consistent
member of the Congregational Church, and when on Feb. 15, 1877, he laid down
the armor in which he had so nobly fought the battles of this life, it could be
truly said of him that a victor had passed to his reward. The school in which Mr. Howe labored he left
to the charge of his son, Seward C. Howe, who was trained by his father with
special reference to this work; under his able management Howe’s High School
and Female Seminary will undoubtedly maintain its present high reputation and
Howell, H. R.
HUBBARD, LEVI, physician; born in Holden, Mass., Feb. 24,
1808; received his education in Massachusetts; studied medicine and took his
degree of M. D. at Williams College; practiced medicine in Massachusetts for
twenty-five years; he came to Illinois in 1868; to Mt. Pleasant in 1876. He married Miss Luzilla Haskell, from Peru,
Mass., in 1836; they have four
children---Harvey M. P. B. Frank, Sarah and Elizabeth; lost one
Hurley, Peter, laborer.
IVES, GEORGE, laborer.
JERICHO, GUSTAVE, harness-maker.
JEFFRIES, W. J., attorney at law; born in Beaver, now Lawrence Co., Penn., July 27, 1846; when 10 years of age, his parents removed to Warren Co., Ill.; he received his education at Monmouth College, and at the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mt. Pleasant; graduated in the law department of the Iowa State University in 1873; he associated with Judge Palmer and engaged in the practice of his profession, firm being Palmer & Jeffries, until the present year. He is a member of the City Council. Married Miss Amelia A. Wallace in June 1874; she is a daughter of David Wallace, Esq., one of the early settlers of this county; they have two children---Mary L. and Frank W.
JERICHO, PETER, Mayor of Mt. Pleasant, manufacturer and
dealer in harness and saddlery hardware; born in Germany Oct. 10, 1825;
emigrated to America in 1852; came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant April 1;
engaged in the harness-making business, which he has continued over twenty-five
years; was elected Mayor of Mt. Pleasant in 1876, and re-elected in
1877-78. He married Mary Mehl in 1859;
have one son--Charlie.
Johnson, Henry, laborer.
KAPFERER, OTTO, laborer.
KAUFFMAN, ANDREW J., of the firm of Bowman & Kauffman,
elevator, grain and seed business, and dealers in coal; born in Lancaster Co.,
Penn., May 6, 1844, and lived there until coming to Iowa in 1871, when he
located in Mt. Pleasant. He enlisted
in the 195th Regt. Penn. V. I., commanded by Col. Jos. Fisher, now
Judge of the Courts of Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory.
Mr. Kauffman married Miss Ophelia Bowman, from Lancaster Co., Penn.,
September, 1871; they have three children--Fanny, Carl, and Laura.
Kauffman, M., elevator.
KETCHAM, FRANCIS H., of the firm of Ketcham Bros.,
manufacturers of hard wood, lumber and railroad timber; born in Dutchess Co., N.
Y., June 24, 1844; lived there until ten years of age; came to Mt. Pleasant in
1856; he spent several years in Kansas, and held the position of Cashier of the
First National Bank of Chetopa, Kan.; he has been associated here with his
brothers for the past six years; married Miss Jane McDevitt in August, 1866; she
is a native of Ohio; they have four children--William, Leander, Nellie and
Ketcham, L., of Ketcham Bros., elevator and mill.
KETCHAM, WILLIAM B., of the firm of L. Ketcham & Bros.,
manufacturers of hardwood lumber and R. R. timber.
Born in Dutchess Co., N. Y., March 28, 1835; he came to Iowa in 1856, and
located at Mt. Pleasant; he has been engaged in business here for the past
fifteen years. He married Miss
Harriet McDevitt, a native of Ohio, Aug., 1858; they have two sons--Albert and
Kibben, R. F., stockman.
LAMBERT, A. E.
LASH, JOHN B., retired; born in Hampshire Co., Va., June 5,
1808; in 1836, he went to Indiana; the following year, in company with one or
two others, he started West; came to Iowa; arrived in Mt. Pleasant, in April,
1837, one of the earliest settlers; there are only a few here now who were here
when he came; there were no buildings, except log cabins here with sod chimneys;
he came here in charge of a stock of goods and engaged in mercantile business
for the owners; he returned to Virginia, and married Miss Sarah Keller, from
Hampshire Co., in May, 1838; they returned here, and he has been engaged in the
mercantile business until within a few years past; he was elected to the State
Legislature in 1839. They had one daughter, who died in infancy.
Lash, Thomas, merchant.
LEECH, JOHN F., attorney at law; born in Bloomfield, Davis
Co., Iowa, July 9, 1851; attended school there, then entered the Iowa Wesleyan
University at Mt. Pleasant, and graduated; located in Mt. Pleasant, in 1870; he
was editor of the Mt. Pleasant Journal from June, 1874, to December, 1876;
studied law, and was admitted to the bar in August, 1877, and since then has
practiced his profession here.
Leedham, C. J.
LEEDHAM, H. C., manufacturer of sash, doors and blinds;
born in Washington Co., Ohio, April 6, 1823; he learned the trade of carpenter
and joiner at Marietta, Ohio; came with his parents to Iowa and located in Henry
Co. in April, 1844; they were early settlers.
He married Miss Emily Doan, from Washington Co., Ohio, Dec. 25, 1844;
they have lived in Mt. Pleasant for twenty-five years, and for the past ten
years he has been engaged in manufacturing sash, doors and blinds; they have
four children--Emma, Addie, Russell and Ansel; lost one son.
LEEDHAM, H. K., of the firm of Leedham & Baugh, dealers
in lumber and manufacturers of sash, doors and blinds; born in Washington Co.,
Ohio, Dec. 24, 1830; came with parents to Iowa and arrived in Henry Co. in
April, 1844, being among the early settlers; he has been engaged in business in
Mt. Pleasant for the past ten years; has been associated with L. G. Baugh for
the past six years in manufacturing sash, doors and blinds.
Mr. Leedham has married twice; married Elizabeth Clark, from Indiana, in
1853; she died in 1861; he married Emma Wright, from Pennsylvania, in 1862; they
have two children--Perry and Ida May.
LEEDHAM, W. D., Justice of the Peace; born in Washington
Co., Ohio, April 16, 1825; at 19 years of age, came to Iowa; arrived in
Burlington April 1, 1844; after stopping there a few days, came to Henry Co. and
was among the early settlers; he engaged at the carpenter and joiner trade.
He has held the office of Justice of the Peace, except a short time, for
the past twenty years; held the office of Mayor of the city of Mt. Pleasant
about eight years, and also that of Coroner.
He married Miss Sarah L. Smith, from Illinois, Oct. 5, 1848; they have
four children--Martha, Lucy, Frank and Henry; lost three children.
LEHEW, R. M., Auditor of Henry Co.; born in Uniontown,
Muskingum Co., Ohio, Feb. 6, 1845; came to Iowa and located in Henry Co. March
20, 1857. Upon the breaking out of
the war he enlisted in Co. G, 11th I. V. I.; he was wounded in front
of Kenesaw Mountain, during the siege of Atlanta.
After the war, he returned and engaged as a salesman in a hardware store.
He was elected County Auditor in 1875, and took charge of the office in
January, 1876; re-elected in 1877. He
married Miss Phebe Ann Hagenbuch, of Pennsylvania, Nov. 2, 1865; they have four
children--Willie W., John L., Ben A. and Anna K.
Lehew, W. F. carpenter.
LEWELLING, L. D.; was born in Salem, Henry Co., Iowa, Dec.
21, 1846; was the youngest of a family of six children; his mother was Cyrena
Wilson, daughter of Michael and Rebecca Wilson, long known as residents of Salem
Tp.; his father, William Lewelling, was a minister of the Society of Friends and
one of the earliest settlers in Iowa; assisted Aaron Street in laying out the
town of Salem; he was an earnest advocate of the abolition of slavery, and at
one time took the stump, with the late Prof. Howe, in favor of the Abolition
party; he died in the year 1848, while in the State of Indiana, engaged in his
ministerial labors; his widow lived in Salem until after the memorable raid of
the Missouri slave-holders. At the
age of 10 years, L. D. was left an orphan by the death of his mother, and was
compelled to struggle on as best he could; at one time he shoveled dirt on the
Burlington & Missouri R. R.; afterward, went North in the service of the
Government as a bridge-builder, being too young to enlist as a soldier; he then
traveled East, and spent some time in the State of New York; studied bookkeeping
at Eastman’s Business College at Poughkeepsie; drove on the Erie Canal;
returned and taught the Freedmen at Mexico, Mo., where he had a varied and
thrilling experience; he received his education from various institutions--Knox
College, Galesburg, Ill., Howe’s School, Mt. Pleasant, and Whittier College,
Salem, Iowa, in which he was at one time employed as a teacher; during a portion
of the years 1871 and 1872, he published a paper at Salem, known as the Salem
Register. April 18, 1872, he married
Angeline Cook, who was also born in Salem, but who, at the time of her marriage,
was a teacher in the high school at Red Oak, Iowa.
April 1, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. Lewelling were elected to the positions they
now hold, as Superintendent and Matron of the girls’ department of the Iowa
Reform School. They have two
children--Jessie and Pauline, aged six and two years, respectively.
Lewis, J. B., student.
McALLISTER, S. F.
McADAM, JAMES, of the firm of McAdam Bros., photograph
artists; born in Harrison Co., Ohio, Oct. 20, 1845; when 10 years of age , his
parents removed to Illinois; he learned his business there; came to Iowa and
located in Mt. Pleasant in 1875, and since then has been engaged in business
here. He married Miss Agnes S.
Phillips, of Pennsylvania, June 27, 1877; they have one little girl--Mary A.
McADAM, GEORGE W., publisher of
the Mt. Pleasant Journal; born in Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, Nov. 2, 1832; lived
there on a farm until 20 years of age, when he entered Franklin College, and
graduated in 1857; after engaging in teaching for a time, he entered the
Theological Seminary at Alleghany College; after completing his theological
education, he engaged in preaching for two years in the U. P. Church; in 1864,
removed to Newark, Ohio, and published the Newark Republican; he came to Iowa
and located at Mt. Pleasant in 1866; in 1869, he became connected with the
Journal, being associated with Frank Hatton, now of the Burlington Hawk-Eye; in
May, 1874, he bought Mr. Hatton’s interest, and is now editor and proprietor
of the Journal; he holds the office of Postmaster, being appointed in April,
1874, and is also member of the School Board.
He married Miss Carrie Hatton, from Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, daughter
of Richard Hatton, editor of the Cadiz Republican; they have three
children--Frank H., Richard H. and Jessie.
McCarty, William, laborer.
McDOWELL, W. C., homeopathic physician and surgeon; born in
Butler Co., Penn., Jan. 24, 1855; in infancy, came with his parents to Iowa and
located in Mt. Pleasant, and received his education here; graduated at the high
school; entered the University, and graduated from that institution.
He studied medicine and graduated in Philadelphia, in March, 1878, and
since has practiced his profession here.
McGovern, M., laborer.
McGREGOR, JOHN S., of the firm of Rukgaber, McGregor & Baines, dealers in hardware and house-furnishing goods; born in Jefferson Co, Ohio, March 31, 1825; he came to Iowa and located at Mt. Pleasant, Nov. 8, 1855; engaged as clerk in dry goods store, and excepting about four years, has been engaged in business since. He holds office of City Councilman. Married Martha Rex, from Jefferson Co., Ohio; she died in 1866; married Mary Hatton, from Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, in 1868; they have three children--Henry V., John and Mary M.; lost one son.
McKibben, J., clerk.
McKIBBEN, WILLIAM, merchant, dealer in groceries and provisions; born in Clinton Co., Ohio, Dec. 16, 1822; lived there until he came to Iowa in 1865; located in Mt. Pleasant, and has been engaged in business here since. Married Miss Martha West, from Ohio; she died Nov. 7, 1849. He married Miss Jane Hogan, from Clinton Co., Ohio, in 1850; they have four children--Frank S., Laura C., John F. and Sylvia; lost two sons.
McLaughlin, S. B., carpenter.
MARTIN, R. M., merchant, dealer in dry goods and notions;
born in Lycoming Co., Penn., 1835; at 20 years of age, went to Elgin, Ill.; was
engaged in business there for sixteen years; came to Iowa and located in Mt.
Pleasant in 1874 and engaged in the mercantile business.
He married Miss Cornelia M. Sherman, of Elgin, Ill., in 1863; they have
two children--Maple J. and Robert N.
Mason, Alfred, laborer.
MELCHER, P., firm of P. Melcher & Co., marble-cutters,
born in Baden, Germany, May 4, 1829, and learned his trade there; emigrated to
America in 1851; came to Burlington, Iowa., in 1852, and to Mt. Pleasant May
1854, and carried on stone-cutting business; he cut the stone for the College
and furnished over twenty thousand feet
of cut stone for the Asylum; in 1861, he engaged in the marble business, and has
carried it on since then; is doing a good business.
He built and owns the store he now occupies.
He married Miss Mary Messman, from Lee Co., Iowa, in January 1857; they
have 5 children--William, Katie, Henry, Theodore, Augusta; lost one daughter.
MERRITT, GEORGE P., retired; born in Belmont Co., Ohio, in
1810; lived in Jefferson Co., Ohio, until 18 years of age, when he went to
Philadelphia, Penn., and learned the trade of bricklayer; came to Illinois and
located in Putnam Co. in 1835, soon after the Black Hawk war, and was one of the
earliest settlers in that part of the State; he engaged in farming.
Married Sabina Hoyle, of Ohio, March 12, 1840; they came to Iowa, and
located in Mt. Pleasant; they have two sons--Charles and William; Mr. Merritt
has two daughters by a former wife, both married.
MESSMAN, MICHAEL, retired; born in Germany, Feb. 18, 1811,
and emigrated to America in 1837; he lived in New York State for one year, and
while there married Miss J. Lay, near Buffalo, in August, 1837; she was born in
Germany June 13, 1809; they came to Iowa and located in Lee Co. in 1838, with
but enough household furniture for one room; they settled in the timber and
began to clear it; they used to grate corn and grind wheat for bread; he went in
debt for a cow, which died, and he sold his wedding coat to pay for it; he used
to split rails, and he and his wife carried rails around six acres to fence it;
they had a very hard time; they came to Henry Co. in 1855, and located in Marion
Tp., where he owned over three hundred acres of land.
Mr. Messmann has always been noted for his honesty and fair dealing; his
word was always as good as his written obligation.
In 1870, he moved to Mt. Pleasant; since then, he and his wife have lived
a restful life here; they have four children--Jacob, Mary, Phebe and Catharine.
Miller, J. W. B., laborer.
MILTONBERGER, T., merchant, dealer in clothing and gents’
furnishing goods; born in Warren Co., Ohio, June 20, 1850; his parents came to
Iowa and located in Henry Co. when he was only 2 years of age; received his
education here; has been engaged in the clothing business for the past five
years. He married Miss Emma Randall,
from Rushville, Ill., Oct. 2, 1877.
Minchall, B., agent marble-yard.
MOREHOUSE, CHARLES L., editor and proprietor of the Mt.
Pleasant Daily Reporter; born in Belmont Co., Ohio, June 13, 1830; there he
learned the printing business; came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1853;
was editor and proprietor of the Ft. Madison Democrat, the Salem Register, the
Eldon Independent, the Agency Independent and the Iowa Republican; he has been
editor and proprietor of a paper of his own for the past twenty-two years.
He married Miss E. A. Meredith, of Greensburg, Ind., Dec. 24, 1853; they
have three children--James Franklin, Frederick D. and Laura Belle.
Moorehouse, Josiah, retired.
NEWBOLD, JOSHUA G. (firm of Newbold & Houseman, dry
goods and grocery merchants); is a son of Barzella and Catharine Houseman
Newbold; was born in Fayette Co., Penn., May 12, 1830; lived on a farm; when 8
years of age, the family moved to Westmoreland Co., where he was educated in the
common school and academy, the latter was taught by Dr. John Lewis, now of
Grinnell, Iowa; at the age of 16, he returned with the family to Fayette Co.,
and remained eight years, assisting his father in running a flouring-mill, when
not teaching; when about 19, commenced the study of medicine, reading a year or
more, while teaching, and then abandoning the notion of being a physician; in
March, 1854, Mr. Newbold removed to Iowa, locating on a farm, now partly in the
corporation of Mt. Pleasant; removed to Cedar Tp., Van Buren Co.; there engaged
in merchandising and farming; in 1860, removed to Hillsboro, Henry Co., and
pursued the same calling. In 1862,
at the call of President Lincoln for six hundred thousand men to finish the work
of crushing the rebellion, he left his farm in the hands of his family, and his
store in charge of his partner, and went into the army as Captain of Co. C, 25th
Regt. I. V. I.; served nearly three years; resigned just before the war closed,
on account of disability; during the last two or three months at the South, he
served as Judge Advocate, with headquarters at Woodville, Ala.
On returning to Iowa, continued in the mercantile trade at Hillsboro for
three or four years; then sold out, and gave his whole attention to agriculture,
stock-raising and stock dealing; was a member of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and
Fifteenth General Assemblies from Henry Co., and Chairman of the School
Committee in the Fourteenth, and of the Committee on Appropriations in the
Fifteenth General Assembly; in the Fifteenth, was temporary Speaker during the
dead lock in organizing the House; in 1875, he was elected Lieutenant Governor
of the State, serving as President of the Senate in the session of 1876;
Gov. Kirkwood being elected United States Senator during that session,
Mr. Newbold became Governor, taking the chair on the 1st of February,
1877, and served until January, 1878, the election of Hon. John H. Gear.
He has always affiliated with the Republican party, and holds to its
great cardinal doctrines; has been a member of the Christian Church for the past
twenty-fine years. Gov. Newbold
married Miss Rachel Farquhar, from Fayette Co., Penn., May 2d, 1850; they had
five children, three living--Mary Alline, the eldest daughter living, is the
wife of Benjamin F. Isaman, of Aurora, Hamilton Co., Neb.; Emma Irene and George
Nichols, J. R. H., plasterer.
NICKELL, FORD, Recorder of Henry Co.; born in Jackson Co.,
Ohio, Dec. 10, 1846, and came with his parents, in infancy, to Iowa; they
located in Henry Co., where he was educated.
He was in the army during the war; enlisted when only 17 years of age in
the 4th Reg. I. C., Co. K, and was in the service eighteen months.
He was elected Recorder of this county in November, 1878.
He married Miss Mary E. Sayles, of Ohio, Jan. 18, 1869; they have four
children--Walter, Lena B., Thomas and Mary E.
Noble, Richard, mason.
ORR, JOHN, REV., preacher.
PAGE, WILLIAM, laborer.
PALM, JOHN W., Superintendent of Schools of Henry Co.; born
in Trumbull Co., Ohio, Oct. 23, 1850; his parents came to Iowa in 1856, and
located in Henry Co., in Marion Tp., about three miles from Mt. Pleasant, and
engaged in farming; graduated at the high school in 1869; was awarded the
scholarship in the university, which had been offered as a prize for the best
three years’ course at the high school; the award, after a thorough
examination of candidates, was made by a committee of five chosen for the
purpose; he attended Prof. Howe’s Academy for two years, then entered the
University and graduated from that institution; he was engaged in teaching at
intervals while attending school; after graduating he engaged in teaching in Des
Moines, and within one year, upon the death of Prof. Howe, he was appointed to
succeed him as Superintendent of Schools of Henry Co; he was elected by the
people to the same office in 1876.
Palmer, L. G., attorney.
PARKER, WILLIAM J., merchant, dealer in dry goods and
notions; born in West Virginia Dec. 25, 1823; when 14 years of age, came, with
his parents, to Iowa; they located in Van Buren Co. in 1837, and were among the
earliest settlers; there was not a house within ten miles of them when they made
their claim; in 1843, William J. came to Wapello Co., and made a claim near
Agency City, and the first year he was there he split and made over 42,000
rails; he came to Henry Co., in March, 1864.
He married Miss Lovina Boyce, from New York, in Wapello Co., Dec. 3,
1844; they have four children living --Margaret Ann, Wilson L., William J. and
Albert C.; lost five children.
Parker, S. R., clerk.
PENN, EDWARD L., merchant, dealer in dry goods, carpets,
boots and shoes. Born in
Philadelphia, Penn.; arriving at manhood, engaged in the mercantile business at
Lafayette, Ind., for some years, where he did an extensive business; there
married Miss Amelia A. Weaver, from Harrisburg, Penn., in 1851.
On account of his wife’s health he came to Iowa and located in Mt.
Pleasant in October, 1856, and engaged in mercantile business, doing an
extensive business. They have three
children---Ella A., Lulu B. and Katie A.
Pennington, W. W., merchant.
PIXLEY, BENJAMIN F., wagon-maker and wheelwright; born in
Marietta, Iowa, Dec. 12, 1810; learned his trade in Marietta, and lived there
until 33 years of age. He married
Miss Lydia V. Conner, from Marietta, Ohio, on Christmas Day,
1833; they came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in the spring of
1843. Mr. Pixley came here and
selected this place the year previous; were early settlers; he engaged in
wagon-making, and has worked at the business longer than any man in the county,
and probably longer than any one in the State.
They have six children---Theodore, Francis, Waldo, Webster, George and
Zella; and lost one daughter.
PORTER, ASBURY B., COL., retired; born in Bourbon Co., Ky.,
June 20, 1808; when 21 years of age, his father died, leaving a wife and nine
children; Asbury being the oldest, upon him devolved the care of the family;
they removed to Illinois and located in Vermilion Co.; while living here, he
became acquainted with Miss Martha A. Brazleton, a native of North Carolina; she
came to Illinois at an early age, and they were married Jan. 18, 1835; the same
year Col. Porter came to Iowa and bought land in Henry Co., raised a crop and
went back to Illinois for his family, they arrived here in October, 1836, and
were among the earliest settlers; there being only a few now living in the
county who were here at that time. He
was elected Clerk of the Courts in 1847; re-elected to the same office in 1849;
was elected and represented this county in the Territorial Legislature; was
re-elected and served for three terms; was engaged in the mercantile business
for twenty years; was Captain of a military company---”The Mt. Pleasant
Grays”--- and when the war broke out, at the first call for 75,000 men, this
company enlisted in the three-months service, and Capt. Porter went with them to
Keokuk; while there, was elected Major of 1st Regt., Iowa V. I., the
only Iowa regiment that answered the first call for 75,000 men; when the term of
service for which they enlisted had expired, there was a prospect of a battle,
and Gen. Lyon requested the regiment to remain; a vote of the regiment was taken
and they unanimously decided to stay, and did remain until after the battle of
Wilson Creek was fought; about one week before the battle, Gen. Lyon wrote the
Secretary of War, recommending Maj. Porter for promotion to the rank of Major in
the regular army, and requesting that he be assigned to duty under him; but he
preferred to remain in the volunteer service; upon the expiration of the
three-months service, he received authority from the Secretary of War to raise
the 4th Regt. Iowa Cav.; was commissioned Colonel; he was also
authorized by the Secretary of War to select, inspect and buy the horses for the
regiment without restrictions; the only instance known where this privilege was
given the Colonel of any regiment during the war; Col. Porter selected and
inspected every horse; the regiment was composed of battalions of horses of
matched colors, and left for the field twelve hundred strong, and was with Gen.
Curtis in Missouri and Arkansas; Col. Porter was obliged to resign his
commission in 1863, on account of his eyesight.
After the war, he held the office of Revenue Inspector in this
Congressional District. They have
seven children---Watson B., with the C., B. & Q. R. R.; Emily D., now Mrs.
Dr. McClure; Louzenia W., now Mrs. Capt. Beckwith; Sallie E., at home; Frank P.,
contractor on the C., B. & Q. R. R.; Jennie C., now Mrs. Bean, of Albia;
Asbury B., civil engineer on the C., B. & Q. R. R.; lost one son---Samuel A.
Poston, James, laborer.
POWELL, JOHN W., auction and commission business; born in
Morgan Co., Ohio, May 18, 1839; when 10 years of age, came with his parents to
Iowa; in 1857, he went to Kansas, made a claim and built a cabin; it was torn
down by bushwhackers and rebuilt three times; he served under John Brown in
pursuing them in that State; in 1860, he went to California.
When the war broke out, he enlisted in the 2d Cal. V. C., Co. D, and was
in the Indian war; was in the service three years.
He was Government express agent in California, and carried the express
across the Yuma Desert; on one trip that he made, the thermometer was at 130
degrees in the shade. He came to
this county in the fall of 1864. Has
held the office of City Marshal for three years.
Married Miss Sarah E. Durr, of Lee Co., Iowa, Dec. 11, 1864; they have
four children---John C., Hattie V., Charles W. and Sadie J.
Prince, Charles, machinist.
PYLE, SAMUEL M., druggist, dealer in fancy goods; born in
Jefferson Co., Ohio, Oct. 28, 1844. When
the war broke out, though only 17 years of age, he enlisted in the 52d Regt.
Ohio V. I., Co. G; was in the service three years, and in twenty-four battles,
but was not wounded. After the war
closed, he came to Iowa, and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1865; has been engaged
in the drug business for the past ten years.
He married Miss Jennie L. Lyons, of Jefferson Co., Ohio, in May, 1866;
they have two children---Frank S. and Grace.
Pyle, T. H., clerk.
QUARRY, W. J.
RAGAN, PATRICK, laborer.
RANNEY, MARK, physician and Superintendent of the Iowa
State Hospital for the Insane; born in Westminster, Windham Co., Vt., July 7,
1827; he received his preliminary education in the seminary and academy of that
State, and commenced reading medicine; he pursued his medical studies in
Providence and Boston, and graduated in the Vermont Medical College, at
Woodstock, in 1849; immediately after graduating, he received the appointment of
Assistant Physician at the Butler Hospital for the Insane, at Providence, R. I.;
remained there until 1854, when he received the appointment of Physician to the
McLean Asylum, near Boston, where he remained until 1865, when he was invited to
take the responsible position of Superintendent of the Iowa State Hospital for
the Insane, upon the resignation of Dr. Patterson; Dr. Ranney was so fully
indorsed by Dr. Ray, of the Butler Hospital for the Insane, at Providence, and
by Dr. Tyler, of the McLean Asylum, as being so well qualified to fill the
position, that he received a unanimous invitation from the Board of Trustees to
take charge of the institution before they had seen him; he held the position
until 1873, when he was invited , at an increased salary, to take charge of the
State Hospital for the Insane, at Madison, Wis.; he accepted, and, after two
years, resigned the position with the intention of going abroad to visit similar
institutions in Europe; before leaving on his foreign tour, Dr. Bassett, his
successor in charge of the State Hospital here, resigned his position, and the
Board of Trustees induced Dr. Ranney to relinquish his visit tot Europe, return
here and take charge of the institution in 1875.
He married Miss Martha W. Sawyer, a native of Sterling, Mass., Oct. 1,
1865, who occupies the position of Matron of the institution.
Ramsey, J. T., carpenter.
ROBINSON, D. W., DR., physician and surgeon; born in Harrison Co., Va., June 14, 1826; he received his education there and studied medicine; after graduating, practiced there until coming to Iowa, in 1855; he located in Muscatine for two years, then removed to Montezuma, Poweshiek Co. Upon the breaking-out of the war, he raised two companies, 204 men, for the 40th Regt. I. V. I., and was elected Captain of Co. B; at the request of Gov. Kirkwood, he was commissioned Surgeon of the Post at Iowa City; he afterward went in the field service as Surgeon of that regiment; Lieut. Gov. Campbell succeeded him in command of Co. B; in 1864, he resigned his commission, returned to Montezuma, and came to Mt. Pleasant in 1865; since then has practiced here; has been in constant practice since 1850; he published the “Free Press” for several years. Married Miss Sarah Dudley, of Ohio, in 1858; they have three children---Eddie, David and Charlie.
Rhodes, M., laborer.
ROBINSON BROS., merchants; dry goods, notions and fancy
goods; T. W. Robinson, J. A. Robinson and W. N. Robinson compose the firm of
Robinson Bros.; were born in Frederick Co., Va., and lived there until the
breaking out of the war; then came West, and engaged in the mercantile business
at Macon, Mo.; commenced the dry goods and notion trade here in 1869; they have
also established business houses in Iowa City, Canton, Ill., and at Cedar
Rapids, Iowa; selling exclusively for cash, and are doing an extensive business.
Robinson, J. V., painter.
ROMMEL, R. P., MRS., Principal of the Mt. Pleasant Female
Seminary; is a native of Greene Co., Penn.; received her education at the
Steubenville Female Seminary in Ohio; graduated in 1860; came to Mt. Pleasant in
1865; she engaged in teaching in 1866, and since then has been connected with
the Seminary, and has held the position of Principal since 1874.
She married Dr. Thomas Morton, of Pennsylvania, in 1863; he died in 1866;
in 1875, she married her present husband, Prof. Rommel.
ROPER, ARTHUR, freight and ticket agent of C., B. & Q.
R. R. at Mt. Pleasant, was born in England Oct. 19, 1837; when 8 years of age,
went to Canada; lived there about fourteen years, and was in the employ of the
Great Western R. R. of Canada, and the Detroit & Milwaukee R. R., for seven
years; came to Iowa in 1860, and entered the employ of the B. & M. R. R.; he
has been connected with the B. & M. R. R. and the C., B. & Q. R. R.
since 1860, except about eight months spent in California.
He is President of the Red Ribbon Club of Mt. Pleasant.
Married Miss Mary E. Sunderland, of Burlington, in 1861; she died in
1864, leaving one son---William S.; Jan. 29, 1867, he married Miss Sue A. M.
Wiggins, of Mt. Pleasant; they have three children---Eloise L., Susan E. and
Rork, M., laborer.
ROSS, B.F., dealer in lumber and building material; also of
the firm of Ross Bros., lumber dealers at the depot; born in Washington Co., N.
Y., in 1825; in 1854, he removed to Lake Co., Ill.; afterward, engaged in
business in Chicago; came to Iowa, located in Mt. Pleasant in 1870, and engaged
in the lumber business. He has held
the office of Assessor and other town and school offices.
He married Miss Elizabeth Lyon, of Saratoga Co., N. Y., in 1848; they
have one daughter---Julia.
Ross, Samuel H., retired.
ROYCE, A. J., of the firm of Royce & Hopping,
proprietors of the Hawk-Eye Foundry and Machine Shops; born in Crawford Co.,
Penn., May 21, 1833; he learned the machinist’s trade; came with his mother
and located in Mt. Pleasant March 4, 1857; was engaged as foreman in a
machine-shop; March, 1875, he associated with Mr. Hopping, of Burlington, in
their present business; they build engines and do all kinds of foundry and
machine work. He was Second
Lieutenant of Co. A, of State troops, when the war broke out.
Married Miss Mary E. Noble, of Mercer Co., Penn., in October, 1855; they
have five children---Edmund M., Nettie A., Rosa, Burton M. and Maud; lost two
Rozelle, N. M., carpenter.
RUKGABER, CHARLES B., of the firm of Rukgaber, McGregor & Bains, dealer in hardware and house furnishing goods, Mt. Pleasant; born in Wittenberg, Germany, in 1834; emigrated to America in 1857; came to Iowa in 1858 and located in Mt. Pleasant and engaged in business. Enlisted in the 4th Regt., Iowa Cav., Co. C, in 1861; he was in many battles and skirmishes; was in the service four years and never off duty a month; after his return, again engaged in business. Married Johanna Miller, from Baden, Germany, April, 1861; she came here when quite young; they have five children---Louise, Emma, Hermina, Carrie and Victor.
ST. CLAIR, C., teamster.
SAUNDERS, H. C., agent and dealer in real estate, and agent
for the sale of lands of the B. & M. R. R., Mt. Pleasant; born near
Staunton, Va., in the Shenandoah Valley, Dec. 28, 1829; when 8 years of age, he
came with his parents by wagon to Iowa; they arrived in Mt. Pleasant May 26,
1838, and were among the earliest settlers; there were only a few log houses
here then; he has seen the wild prairie-grass burn over the present site of the
public square; has lived here, except two years, for the past forty years.
He held the office of Deputy County Treasurer, and was acting Treasurer
for five years; and has held other town and school offices.
Married Miss Rhoda Bowman, from Pennsylvania, in November, 1855; they
have four children---D. Mont, Frank, Orie and Anna.
Saunders, Presley, banker.
SCHLIEP, WM. H., manufacturer of cigars, and wholesale
dealer in cigars and tobacco, Mt. Pleasant; born in Hanover, Germany, June 19,
1835, and came to America in 1847; came to Cincinnati, attended school and
learned his business there; he came to Iowa in 1854, and came to Mt. Pleasant in
1856; in 1858, went to Kansas for a short time; he lived in Belleville, Ill.,
six years; returned to Mt. Pleasant in 1865; since then, has been engaged in
business here, and has built up a good trade.
He married Miss Kate Messmann, from Lee Co., Iowa, in October, 1860; they
have six children---Lewis, William, Ida, Emma, Frank and Charlie; lost three
Schmidt, Martin, saloon-keeper.
SHRYOCK, L. B. W., Superintendent of the Mt. Pleasant
Female Seminary; was born in the State of Pennsylvania; he received his
education at Jefferson College, and graduated in 1851; then engaged in teaching;
was elected President of the Harrodsburg Female College, of Kentucky; afterward,
was elected President of Muskingum Female College, of Ohio; still later, of the
Oxford Female Seminary, of Pennsylvania; from there he came to Indiana, and
engaged in pastoral work; he was Treasurer, Financial Agent and Professor of
Latin in Hanover Female College; he founded New Windsor Female College, of
Maryland, and after being there three years, was obliged, on account of
ill-health, to try change of climate; he is a man of large experience and
ability as an educator; he has recently become connected with the Mt. Pleasant
Female Seminary as Superintendent of the Educational Department.
Married Miss Elizabeth A. Abraham, of Steubenville, Ohio, in 1852; she
was educated at the Steubenville Female Seminary; they have three
children---William T., Everett H. and Annie W.
Shultz, A. F., wagon-maker.
SIMONS, L. A., homeopathic physician; born in Chenango Co.,
N. Y., May 3, 1824; attended Hamilton University, and studied medicine; attended
lectures in Philadelphia, Penn., and also in New York; also attended lectures
and graduated at the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, in 1870; came to Iowa
and located in Mt. Pleasant June 1, 1873; and engaged in the practice of
medicine; he has built up a large and successful practice.
He married Miss Harriet Bostwick, of Hornellsville, Steuben Co., N. Y.,
Nov. 20, 1851; they have four children---Ann E., Alpha B., Emma E. and Ella A.
Simpson, J. R., farmer.
SMITH, GEORGE E., of the firm of Smith & Hagan,
druggists; born in Peoria Co., Ill., Oct. 14, 1853; when 10 years of age, he
came to Iowa, to Mt. Pleasant, in 1871; he studied medicine under Dr. Marsh for
two years, and will graduate the present winter; he has been engaged in the drug
business here since July, 1877. He
married Miss Mary B. Sutton, of Pennsylvania, Nov. 25, 1877.
Smith, John, laborer.
SNIDER, CHARLES, druggist; born in Germany in 1831; came to
America in infancy; was brought up in Pennsylvania; in 1851, went to California;
returned to Pennsylvania and married Miss Mary E. Niccolls, in Pittsburgh,
August, 1854; they came to Iowa, and located in Mt. Pleasant, November, 1854.
He engaged in the drug business in 1855, and has been in the business
longer than any drug house in Henry Co. He
has held town offices, and is a Director in the First National Bank, and has
been since its organization, and is one of the Trustees in the College.
They have three children---Howard E., Charles and Edith
Snider, William D., clerk.
SPAHR, GEO. H., merchant and dealer in clothing and
gents’ furnishing goods; born in West Virginia, Jan. 22, 1840; came to Iowa
and located in Henry Co. in 1864; he engaged in farming, on account of his
health, for four years; in 1868, he engaged in his present business.
He enlisted in the 1st Regt. W. Va. C., and was commissioned
Captain of Co. A; he raised the first company of Federal soldiers from West
Virginia that was in the Union army. Holds
the office of Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Henry Co.; he was elected
in 1875 to fill a vacancy, and re-elected in 1877.
He married Miss M. L. Wagner, from Morgantown, West Va., October, 1863;
they have eight children---four sons and four daughters.
SPAULDING, W. J., President of the Iowa Wesleyan
University; born in Wayne Co., N. Y., April 18, 1827; when about 8 years of age,
his parents removed to Northern Indiana; he received his education at Asbury
University, and graduated in 1854; he came to Iowa in 1857, and was connected
with this institution for eight years, and then returned to Indiana, and had
charge of the Union School at Sturgis, Mich., for two years; was connected with
other educational institutions, and was also in the ministry, engaged in
pastoral work, for several years. He
married Miss Martha A. Berry, daughter of Rev. Dr. Berry, President of Asbury
University, Nov. 13, 1854; they have four children---Cora, Ida, Wilber B. and
Spencer, Andrew, bricklayer.
STUBBS, JESSE, of the firm of
John Fitzgerald & Co., railroad contractors and builders, was born in
Shelby Co., Ind., Feb. 21, 1832, and lived there until 17 years of age; then
came to Iowa in 1859, and engaged in railroading; he came to Mt. Pleasant in
1863; he has had contracts on the C., B. & Q. R. R. for some years, and for
the past few years he has had large contracts; it being the only railroad in the
West that has continued making large improvements since the panic.
The firm of Fitzgerald & Co. are among the heaviest contractors in
this county. Mr. Stubbs has invented
an improved wheel-scraper for moving earth work, which is very valuable for
railroad work and which gives this firm an advantage over others.
A stock company has been organized for manufacturing the machines and the
works are in operation, turning out a car-load weekly.
Mr. Stubbs married Miss Esther Orr, from Zanesville, Ohio, Aug. 1, 1861;
they have three children---James, Warren and Jessie; he has one daughter--Alice,
by a former wife.
Sturgess, J. C., teamster.
SULLIVAN, WILLIAM R., Secretary of the Comstock Scale
Works; born in Knox Co., Ill., Aug. 12, 1854; received his education at Abingdon;
he came to Iowa, and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1873; he has held the office of
Secretary of the Comstock Scale Works since April, 1877.
He married Miss Anna M. Drayer, daughter of Judge John B. Drayer, June 5,
SUMMERS, P., dealer in groceries, provisions, flour and
feed; born in Ohio; he came to Iowa and to this county in 1850; he went to
California in 1864, and remained there five years; returned here in 1869, and
since then has been engaged in business here.
He married Miss R. E. Lemon, from Ohio, in January, 1870; they have one
Sutton, L. W., grocer.
TAFT, T. V., shoemaker.
TALLEY, GEORGE A., manufacturer of wagons and buggies and
proprietor of livery-stable; born in Giles Co., Middle Tenn., Nov. 1, 1819, and
lived there until the fall of 1835, when his parents removed to Illinois, near
Springfield; they came with an ox-team to Iowa; were sixteen days on the way;
located in Des Moines Co., in March, 1837; they came to this county in 1838;
located near New London and engaged in farming; were among the earliest
settlers. He married Miss Achsah Ann
Smeede, from New York, March 23, 1844; she died Dec. 23, 1870; they had ten
children, five living---Charles C., James E., Sarah A., Lyman P. and Francis L.;
he married Mary Truitt, of Ottumwa, July 18, 1872; they have one son---George A.
Mr. Talley has been engaged in business here for the past nine years.
Talley, O. B., wagonmaker.
TAPPAN, DAVID STANTON, REV., Pastor of the First
Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant; was born in Steubenville, Ohio, April 2,
1845; received his classical education at Oxford University, Miami, Ohio;
graduated in 1864; received the first honors of his class and was chosen
valedictorian; he pursued his theological education at the Western Theological
Seminary, Alleghany, Penn.; graduated and was called to the pastorate of the
Presbyterian Church, at Chariton, Iowa, in October, 1867; he remained there
until February, 1871, when he received a unanimous call from the First
Presbyterian Church, of Mt. Pleasant, and since then has labored here very
successfully and acceptably, greatly beloved by his Church; since coming here,
he has received calls to other churches, but has declined them, believing his
field of usefulness is here. He
married Miss Anna Grand-Girard, of Hillsboro, Ohio, Aug. 12, 1869; she is a
daughter of Rev. Emil Grand-Girard, a Presbyterian minister, a native of Herri
Court, France; Mr. and Mrs. Tappan have three children---Oella, Julia and Paul.
Taylor, Wm., retired.
TEMPLIN, MARY, MRS., proprietor of the Harlan House; was
born in Kentucky; moved to Indiana; her maiden name was Mary Worcester.
She married John Templin in March, 1836; he was born in Fayette Co.,
Ohio; they came to Iowa and located in Keokuk in 1852; he was engaged in the
wholesale mercantile trade, with an extensive business; was burned out; lost a
large stock of goods, and building, on the corner of Fourth and Main streets, in
Keokuk; her husband was a man of great energy and business ability; when he
began life, he had nothing; a short time before his death, was worth over a
quarter of a million dollars; he came to Mt. Pleasant in 1860; he died in 1862
from an injury received on the railroad; he left two sons---Hugh and Isaac.
Mrs. Templin has conducted the Harlan House since June, 1876.
Teesdale, John, retired.
THROOP, JAMES A., of Van Cise & Throop, publishers of
the Free Press; born in Madison Co., N. Y., Dec. 7, 1835; he was educated
in Chenango Co., and came to Illinois in 1855; the following year to Iowa, and
located in Mt. Pleasant in December, 1856; engaged in business with Cole Bros.,
and continued about seven years; then engaged in the hardware and pump business
for seven years; in 1872, in company with Mr. Van Cise, bought out the Free
Press; for the past two years, owing to the absence of Mr. Van Cise, Mr.
Throop has had the entire editorial and business management of the paper.
Married Miss Rowena Beebe, of Chenango Co., N. Y., April 7, 1858; they
have five children---Joseph C., Horace, Thomas D., Addison J. and Bessie; lost
TIFFANY, P. C., dealer in jewelry and stationery, Tiffany
Corner; born in Sturbridge, Worcester Co., Mass., April 7, 1809; there spent his
summers in the cotton factory, winters in school; afterward engaged as clerk and
bookkeeper; he married Miss Eliza Cheney, Jan. 1, 1836; she was a native of
Worcester Co., a daughter of Pennel Cheney, a prominent man of that town; in
1838, Mr. and Mrs. Tiffany, with her father and brother, started for the West,
by stage, lake and river; Mr. Tiffany hired a team to bring them west from the
river to “Sweet Home,” and his description of their arrival at this place is
very amusing. Mrs. Tiffany was not
pleased with the hotel accommodations; they came to Mr. Pleasant in June, 1838;
they bought the claim, where the State Hospital for the Insane now stands, of
Martin Tucker, for $700; in 1840, Mr. Tiffany bought the corner he now occupies,
and engaged in keeping tavern; it was then called the “Hawk-Eye House,” and
afterward the “Henry House;” in 1849, he went to California, and returned in
1851; during his absence, Mrs. Tiffany made improvements to the hotel which was
afterward called the Tiffany House; in 1857, he engaged in his present business;
was appointed Justice of Peace by Gov. Lucas, the first Territorial Governor;
held that office until 1849; upon his return from California, was again elected
to the same office; was appointed Postmaster during President Pierce’s
administration, and held office for nine years; he was one of the incorporators,
and the first President of the Iowa Wesleyan University.
They have had no children of their own, but have adopted two, one of whom
married Gen. T. B. Eldridge, now of Kansas, the other, Samuel, is married and
lives at home. Mr. and Mrs. Tiffany
are members of the Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Tiffany has been Senior Warden
for many years.
Todd, James C., clerk, Harlan House.
TROUGHTON, HENRY, meat market; born in New York in 1835;
came to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in 1860; he has been engaged in
business for the past ten years and built up a large trade.
Has married twice; his first wife was Miss Annie Kean, from Illinois; his
present wife was Miss Catharine Martin, from Pennsylvania; he has five
children---Leilia, Frank, Hattie, Katie and Henry.
Turner, E. W., retired.
TWINTING, T. P., merchant, dealer in groceries and
provisions, Mt. Pleasant; born in Germany, on the Rhine, in 1825; emigrated to
America in 1848; he came to Iowa in 1862, and has been successfully engaged in
business in Mt. Pleasant since 1869; an extensive trade.
TYNER, JOHN, agent of the American Express Co.; born in
Fayette Co., Ind., Feb. 14, 1817; lived in the State of Indiana, near
Indianapolis; came to Iowa in 1843; located in Des Moines Co. and engaged in
farming; he came to Henry Co. and engaged in the boot and shoe business in Mt.
Pleasant in 1859; was appointed agent of the Express Co. in 1862; has been
connected with the company for sixteen years. Held the office of Mayor of this
city, and was City Councilman for some years.
He married Miss Ann E. Gilmore, from Kentucky, November, 1844; they have
one adopted daughter. Mr. Tyner’s
father is still living in Indiana; is over 85 year old.
VAN ALLEN, GEO. C., abstract-maker.
VERNON, J. B., Justice of the Peace; born in Muskingum Co.,
Ohio, Jan. 13, 1812; at 25 years of age, he removed to Indiana; in 1852, came to
Iowa and located in Henry Co. October 27, 1852, and engaged in farming; has been
in the ministry for many years; was licensed as an exhorter in Ohio; was
licensed minister in the M. E. Church and ordained in Indiana; he moved to Mt.
Pleasant in 1864; he has held office of Justice of the Peace for a long time.
He married Miss Maria Monroe, from Muskingum Co., Ohio, March 2, 1837;
they have five children---Leroy M., the oldest, is General Superintendent of
Missionaries of Italy, having fifteen missionaries, all native Italians, under
his charge; he has been there seven years, and is master of seven different
languages; John W., an attorney in Memphis; Samuel M., a minister in the M. E.
Church; Pastor of a church in Pittsburgh; Mary E., now Mrs. Patch, of this city;
William S., a merchant in Fort Des Moines; lost two children.
John W. was in the army, enlisted in the 4th Regt. Iowa Cav.,
and was in the service three years; William was in the 100-day service, though
only 16 years of age.
Vickstrom, J. G.
Walker, H. D., plasterer.
WALTERS, BENNET G., retired; born in Berkeley Co., Va.,
March 13, 1823; after reaching manhood, he engaged in farming.
Married Miss Emily Murphy, of Martinsburg, Berkeley Co., Va., Jan. 10,
1843; they came to Iowa and located in Henry Co., Wayne Tp., in May, 1855, and
engaged in farming; he improved three farms.
His father was a Baptist minister, but Mr. Bennet W., early in life,
connected himself with the Hicksite branch of the denomination of Friends, and
began preaching in 1852; he has always been a great student of the Bible, and
was engaged in preaching for over twenty-five years, as the way seemed to open;
after coming to this county, he gave the ground upon which the meeting-house is
located in Wayne Tp., and owing to his efforts, the house was built; he is
acknowledged to be one of the most able thinkers and earnest worker in this
denomination; for some time past, he has retired from active business, and they
have lived in Mt. Pleasant; they have three children---Bennet Gideon, William
Penn and Branson Hallowell; have lost four children.
Walthers, B. G. retired.
WHEELER, JOHN, D. D.; the oldest son of John and Mary
Kingswell Wheeler; was born in Portsmouth, England, April 15, 1815; removed to
the United States in his 4th or 5th year, landing near
Baltimore; the family removed in a short time to the vicinity of Bellefontaine,
Ohio; afterward became residents of Bellefontaine, where he spent most of his
childhood and youth; in 1835, became a student in Norwalk, Ohio, Seminary; in
1837, a student of Alleghany College; in 1839, left Alleghany College for
Greencastle, Ind., in company with the family of Prof. (now Bishop) Simpson,
who, a short time before, had been elected President of the Indiana Asbury
University; in 1840, graduated as A. B.; a member of the first graduating class,
three in number, of the I. A. U.; same year, elected Principal of the Franklin
Institute, in Indianapolis; remained two years; in 1842, elected Professor of
Latin in the Indiana Asbury University; in 1854, retired from the professorship;
in 1855, became President of the Baldwin Institute, Berea, Ohio, which, the next
spring, became the Baldwin University; in 1858, received the degree of Doctor of
divinity; retired, in 1870, and was elected President of the Iowa Wesleyan
University, holding the Presidency of both institutions from June until the
latter part of August, 1870; retired from the Presidency of the I. W. U. in
June, 1875, and became Pastor of the First M. E. Church, Keokuk, Iowa; in 1876,
appointed Presiding Elder, Keokuk District; in 1877-78, Presiding Elder of the
Mt. Pleasant District. In childhood,
he became a member of the M. E. Church; in 1853, licensed to preach; in 1855,
joined the North Ohio Conference; in 1863, secured the location of the German
Wallace College at Berea, Ohio, which he has considered the most important work
of his life; in 1872, secured the location of the German College at Mt.
Pleasant, which was chartered and opened in 1873.
In 1842, married Miss Mary R. Yandes, who died in 1854, leaving five
children, three of whom survive. In
1857, married Miss Clara Hulah; had seven children, five still living.
In 1840, was requested by one of the Missionary Secretaries of the M. E.
Church to become a Missionary to Palestine, to which he assented; in 1854, was
selected by the Bishop Superintendent of Missions in India, and willingly gave
his consent; was providentially prevented from entering the Missionary field,
but for thirty-two years was engaged in teaching in three Church
Colleges---twenty years in charge.
Wilder, George, restaurant.
WHITING, JOHN H., Cashier of the National State Bank, born
in Painted Post, Steuben Co., N. Y., Dec. 6, 1834; attended school there and in
Lima, N. Y.; then entered the Wesleyan University at Middletown, Conn., and
graduated in 1855; he engaged in teaching one year at Paul Wing’s Boys’
Boarding-School; came to Iowa in the spring of 1857, and entered the bank of
Brazelton & Co.; when the State Bank was organized, he held the position of
Assistant Cashier; upon the organization of the bank under the National Banking-
System, he was elected Cashier, and since then has held that position in the
management of the bank; he has held the office of City Treasurer, also School
Treasurer of Mt. Pleasant. Married
Miss Julia May, of Bath, N. Y., in September, 1858; they have three
children---May, James T. and Harry C.
WHITING, TIMOTHY, banker; President of the National State
Bank of Mt. Pleasant; was born in the town of Bremen, Hancock Co., Me., Feb. 7,
1809; when only 6 years of age, his father, Col. John Whiting, removed to
Western New York, and located in Steuben Co.; lived on a farm until 15 years of
age; completed his education in this Prattsburg Academy; entered a store as a
clerk, and after serving in that capacity for about five years, and at the age
of 20, in company with another young man, he engaged in business at Painted
Post; he continued in business in that county until April, 1857, when he came to
Iowa, and settled in Mt. Pleasant, and engaged in banking; in 1858, in company
with other parties, started a branch of the State Bank; he was Cashier, and
representative of the bank in the State Board of Directors during the time it
was in operation; in May, 1865, this institution was changed into the National
State Bank, one of the solid institutions of Iowa, and he has held, from the
time of its organization, the office of President; has held few offices except
those connected with the bank and church. Has
never been a strong partizan, and has steadily refused to accept political
offices. He is President of the
Board of Directors of the State Insane Asylum, located at Mt. Pleasant.
He has been a consistent member of the M. E. Church, since 1831, and an
official in the Mt. Pleasant body since locating here; is liberal, kind hearted
to the poor and ever ready to help the needy and distressed.
He married Miss Sarah H. McCall, of Painted Post, N. Y., Dec. 18, 1833;
had eleven children, seven living---John, the eldest son, is Cashier of the
National State Bank of Iowa, at Mt. Pleasant; Henry, Master Mechanic of the St.
Louis, Rock Island & Rockford R. R.; Charles H., in business in Burlington;
Samuel S., engaged in business in Missouri; Frank H., a civil engineer in the
employ of the C., B. & Q. R. R.; Ann E., eldest daughter living, is the wife
of Prof. J. H. Hopkins, Vice President of the Albion Michigan College, and
Sophia E. is the wife of R. S. Gillis, Assistant Cashier of the National State
Whitney, William H., carpenter.
WINTERS, JOHN, contractor for mason work on the C., B.
& Q. R. R., and raiser of thorough-bred horses and cattle, Sec. 16; born in
Ireland in 1819; when 17 years of age, his parents came to America, and settled
in Pennsylvania; he went to Syracuse, N. Y.; learned the trade of stone-cutter,
and worked there until 1840, then went to Canada, and worked on the Welland
Canal until 1845; came to La Salle, Ill.; he came to Davenport, Iowa, in 1855,
and walked from there to Mt. Pleasant, and engaged in cutting stone for the
State Asylum; in the fall of 1856, he began working for the B. & M. R. R.,
and for a number of years has been a large contractor on this and the C. B.
& Q. R. R.; he owns large quarries both here and at Dudley, where a large
number of men are employed in getting out and shipping stone for the contract
work on the road; about five years ago, Mr. Winters commenced raising fine
stock; he has some of the finest horses and cattle in the State; his home stock
farm, of 320 acres, adjoining the city of Mt. Pleasant is, with its location and
improvements, one of the most valuable in the State of Iowa, valued at $50,000,
and the value of the blooded stock of horses and cattle, nearly as much more.
Mr. Winters began without means, and by industry, integrity and good
management, he now owns, aside from his large business interests, 1,400 acres of
land in the county. He has two
sons---John C. and Michael F.
WINTERS, JOHN C., manager of the Winters Stone Quarries;
born in LaSalle, Ill., in September, 1848; when 7 years of age, his parents came
to Iowa; his father being engaged in quarrying and contracting, John learned
that business, and for some years has had the management of the Winters
Quarries, at Mt. Pleasant, having about fifty men in his employ; he holds the
office of Sub-school Director, and is President of the Board, and is also
Director in the Agricultural Society. He
married Miss Mary Ellen O’Hare, from St. Louis, Mo., in September, 1869; they
have five children---Laura and Stella, twins, Samuel L., John and Grace C.; lost
WOODS, JOHN T., of the firm of Templin Bros. & Wood,
dealers in dry goods and notions; born in Fayette Co., Ind., Jan. 7, 1837; at 15
years of age, came to Keokuk; to Mt. Pleasant in 1859; after attending school
one year, he engaged in business. Is a member of the School Board.
Married Miss Sarah E. Killpatrick, daughter of Judge Ephraim Killpatrick,
one of the early settlers of Henry Co., Dec. 13, 1860; they have five
children---Edward C., Lucy R., Charles E., Alice and Ella.
Woolson, T. W., biography on last page.
WOOLSON, JOHN S., attorney, of the firm of Woolson &
Babb; born in Erie Co., N. Y., Dec. 6, 1840; lived there until 16 years of age,
and came with his parents to Iowa and located in Mt. Pleasant in June, 1856;
completed his education and commenced reading law.
Was appointed Assistant Paymaster in the navy, regular service, in March,
1862; he was on board the sloop-of-war Housa-tonic when she was torpedoed off
Charleston; she sank in ten minutes; beyond a cold bath, he was uninjured, and
was picked up with the other officers; he was present at the attack on Ft.
Sumter, and at both attacks on Ft. Fisher, being on the monitor Monad-nock; he
was also up James River, at Ft. Darling, and the capture of Richmond; was in the
service until December, 1865. After
his return, completed his law studies, and was admitted to the bar in 1866, and
since has been engaged in the practice of his profession.
He represents this county in the State Senate; was elected in 1875 to
fill a vacancy; re-elected in 1877 for four years; he was Secretary of the
School Board for some years, and has been Chairman of the State Board of
Commissioners of Insanity since 1870. He
married Miss Myra T. Bird, of Mt. Pleasant, April 7, 1867; they have four
children---Paul B., Ralph, Miriam and Grace.
YOAKUM, H. B., miller.
YODER, SAMUEL, proprietor of the Pennsylvania House; born
in Cambria Co., Penn., in 1836; he came to Iowa in September, 1876, and engaged
in the hotel business Aug. 1, 1878. He
married Miss Barbara Yoder, of Ohio, in 1853; they have eight children---five
sons and three daughters.
Young, N. A. J., Constable.
YOUNG, WILLIAM, retired; born in County Antrim, Ireland,
north of Belfast, April 18, 1808; he emigrated with his parents to America,
leaving Belfast May 18, 1818; he was brought up in Pennsylvania, and learned the
milling business; he came to Fulton Co., Ohio, in 1835, and was one of the early
settlers there; he bought a farm, and lived there until 1855, when he came to
Iowa; located in this county in March, 1856, and engaged in farming; continued
until a few years past, when he gave up the active management of his farm and
moved to Mt. Pleasant. He had
nothing when he began life, and now owns over three hundred acres of land.
He has been twice married; his first wife was Esther Stott, of
Pennsylvania; she died in 1871; they had nine children, four of whom
survive---Charles S., Robert, William P. and Miller; he married Nancy Phillips
June 3, 1875; she is a native of Chester Co., Penn., and came to Iowa in 1866.
Mr. Young had two sons in the army.
THERON WEBB WOOLSON.
COL. SAMUEL McFARLAND.
History Index ** Home Page