If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
James S. CARSON -
It is the man who perserveres, who always succeeds, and the career of James S. Carson, a prosperous farmer of Allen township, Harrison county, Iowa, is a striking illustration of the value of perseverance. Starting out alone in the world, at the age of seventeen, he worked by the month for many years and then started in as a renter. Eventually, he became the owner of an excellent farm, in Allen township, on which he is now principally engaged in stock raising. He has always manifested a hearty interest in the civic life of his township and has been connected, in one way or another, with the official life of his township, for many years. He is an honest and industrious man and has so lived as to commend himself to those with whom he has been associated.
James S. Carson, the son of James D. and Nancy M. (JACKMAN) Carson, was born in Jennings county, Indiana, April 19, 1871. His parents were both natives of Indiana. His father was a farmer and school teacher, teaching in the winter and farming during the summer seasons. His mother died when he was two years of age and his father took him to school with him from the time he was four until he was seven years old. At that time he went to live with his grandfather and made his home with him until he was seventeen.
The independent career of Mr. Carson began at a time when most of the boys, of today, are still in school. For the first eight years he worked out by the month, part of the time in Pottawattamie county, Iowa. After working in this way for several years he rented land for fourteen years, eight of which he spent in Harrison county. He and his brother bought four hundred acres of land in section 16 of Allen township, in 1906, and on this farm Mr. Carson has since made his home. The brothers divided the farm in 1911. Mr. Carson has placed many improvements on the place and each year finds his farm in a better condition than the year before. While he raises considerable grain, he gives most of his time and attention to stock raising, and makes a specialty of Duroc-Jersey hogs and has one of the finest herds in Harrison county. He feeds as much as three carloads of hogs each year, and has been an extensive cattle feeder for the past fifteen years, averaging about two carloads each year.
Mr. Carson was married on December 12, 1900, to Minnie M. CHASE. She was born in Harrison county, and is a daughter of Asaph and Cassie M. (CLARK) Chase, both natives of Harrison county. Mr. and Mrs. Carson have seven children, all of whom are still living with their parents, Velma M., Chase, Clyde H., James B., Rate, Harold D. and Marion E.
Mr. Carson is a stanch Republican and has been one of his party's leaders in local affairs for many years. He has been president of the school board for two years, and a director for the past five years. At the present time, he is trustee of Allen township, and is giving his fellow citizens faithful and efficient service in this capacity. His wife is a member of the Latter-Day Saints church, and he is a supporter of this denomination, although not a member. Mr. Carson ranks high among the progressive farmers of his community and few stockraisers in the county have had better success, year by year, than he. He has always been a prominent factor in all of the measures advanced in his community for its general welfare and, consequently, merits inclusion among the representative men of his township and county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 934, 935 Family Researcher: NA
Francis CHAMBERS -
The biographies of the representative men of a county bring to light many treasures of mind, character and courage well calculated to arouse the pride of their family and of the community. It is a source of regret that people are not more familiar with the personal history of such men, in the ranks of whom may be found farmers, mechanics, teachers, lawyers, physicians, bankers and members of other vocations and professions. Francis Chambers is distinctively one of the leading farmers of Harrison county, and as such has made his influence felt among his fellow men. He has earned a reputation for enterprise, integrity and honor, which entitles him to worthy notice in works of this nature.
Francis Chambers, a farmer of Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa, and extensive breeder of live stock, was born May 27, 1873, in Lucas county, Iowa. He is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (ROLAND) Chambers. Joseph Chambers was born in Indiana, October 8, 1831. He died September 25, 1880. He enlisted in the Civil War in Company K, Thirty-sixth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a Democrat.
Elizabeth M. Chambers, daughter of James and Eliza Roland, was born in Indiana, July 18, 1833. To this union were born six children, three sons and three daughters.
Francis Chambers was the fifth child born to his parents. He was reared on a farm and attended the district schools of La Grange township, Harrison county, Iowa. He remained with his parents on the farm until he was twenty-five years old, and then purchased land in St. Johns township. He disposed of this land in 1903, and bought two hundred acres in Calhoun township, to which he has since added seventy acres. On this place, Mr. Chambers has placed about eight thousand dollars' worth of improvements. He built a splendid house and barn, and has a magnificent home, located on the Missouri Valley & Sioux City road. Mr. Chambers makes a specialty of raising Percheron horses for breeding purposes. He has made exhibits at the Harrison county fair numerous times, winning many prizes. Mr. Chambers also keeps a high grade of cattle and hogs. He is a stockholder in the Harrison county agricultural building, at Logan, and of the Live Stock Insurance Company, of Iowa. He is also a stockholder of the Hafer Lumber Company, of Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Mr. Chambers was married in 1889, to Martha CHRISTENSEN, who was born in 1876, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and who is a daughter of Peter and Marguerite Christensen, the latter of whom is deceased, while the father is living in Pottawattamie county. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are the parents of six children, all of whom are living at home; Hazel, Mabel, Florence, Robert, Margaret and Mary.
Francis Chambers is a Democrat, has served his township efficiently as township trustee for the past eight years, and has also served on the school board as treasurer for several years. He is a man of rather pronounced political influence in the locality where he lives, and his advice is sought on many matters of public interest. The Chambers family are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal church and are liberal contributors to its support, although not members of any religious denomination. Francis Chambers is one of the leading farmers of Calhoun township, Harrison county, and is a man who is thoroughly worthy of the esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow citizens.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 912, 913 Family Researcher: NA
Captain George W. CHASE -
The attention of the reader is now called to a short sketch of the interesting career of Capt. George W. Chase, whose gallantry and bravery won him his title during the Civil War, and who has long been a citizen of Harrison county, where he is known as one of the oldest inhabitants. He is a man of sterling worth, who has faithfully performed his duty in every walk of life and is now passing his latter days in quiet retirement in River Sioux, surrounded by many friends. He and his good wife enjoy the distinction of being one of the oldest married couples in the county, and both are blessed with unusual health and vitality, considering their years.
Captain Chase is a �Yankee� by birth, born in New London, New Hampshire, of February 16, 1831, a son of John and Diantha (PAMER) Chase. Both parents were natives of the state of New Hampshire and throughout his life the father followed the vocation of farming. George W. Chase early learned the routine of work in his farm home and when a young man gave much of his time in this direction. He also was employed more or less about railroads in the capacity of section man, etc. Early in the beginning of the Civil War, on August 6, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company I, Fourth Regiment New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, his term of service to last three years. However, he only was in service until the following February when he was discharged and returned to his home because of disability. This was brought about through an injury to his back received while unloading cannon from a transport to a surf boat. He remained at home until the following summer, and then on August 6, 1862, he again enlisted, this time as a private in Company E, Tenth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, and with this regiment served until the close of the war. He was promoted from the ranks from time to time until at the time of being mustered out he bore the rank of captain of his company. While practically uninjured throughout his years of service, he had many narrow escapes. During the second battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia, a bullet went through his cap and went so close to his scalp that it cut the hair off closer than a razor could have done and yet did not draw blood. Again at the battle of Petersburg he was struck by a flying piece of shell, which tore part of his clothing from his body, but did not injure him. He had several narrow escapes from being taken prisoner and attributes his good fortune in this respect to the fact that he was fleet-footed and was always able to run a little faster than his pursuer. Several of his comrades were taken and some died in prison, while others had their health permanently shattered.
Captain Chase first came to Harrison county in July of 1866 and located in Jackson township. After the close of the war he returned to his home in New Hampshire, and from that point to St. Joseph, Missouri, he traveled westward by train; at St. Joseph he took boat which landed him at Council Bluffs; from that point to Magnolia he traveled by stage, the fare for the stage trip being nine dollars. Upon his arrival, he purchased a tract of eighty acres of land on the Soldier river, where he lived for ten years. He then disposed of that and moved to River Sioux, this county, where he built and operated the first hotel which the town possessed. This, however, he retained only about eighteen months, feeling it advisable to dispose of the business on account of the serious tax on his wife's health. After disposing of the hotel, he was not located definitely for a time, living part of the time in Minnesota and part of the time in Nebraska. However, in 1883, he returned to River Sioux and took over the office of postmaster, which position he retained for eleven years. In connection with the postoffice he operated a grocery store, but after quitting the postoffice he retired from the active duties of life and is living quietly and happily, devoting his time to his home and garden. Mrs. Chase is a remarkably well preserved woman for her eighty-five years, being as strong and active as many women of forty-five.
Captain and Mrs. Chase were without children of their own, but their hearts were full of true parent-love and they reared to maturity two orphan children. One of these was Daniel H. Pitts, now deceased. He was station master of River Sioux for a number of years, finally being promoted to the office of chief clerk of the freight department of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad at Omaha. Daniel Pitts at his death left a widow, who was Gertrude Gleason, and two children, both of whom have been nicely educated. Ilma is a graduate of the Iowa Agricultural College at Ames and Donald H. is studying medicine, intending to make its practice his life work. The other child reared by Captain and Mrs. Chase was Alice LaGroo. She was six years of age when they took her into their home and remained with them until nineteen years of age when she was married to Cal Willson. By him she became the mother of two children, Allie H. and Fred. Her second husband is Elmer Smith and they now reside near California Junction, and are the parents of four children, Earl, Hazel, Lois and George. Captain and Mrs. Chase celebrated their golden wedding some years ago, having been married on April 27, 1853. Mrs. Chase's maiden name was Charlotte E. BEAN and she is the daughter of Daniel Bean who was a native of New Hampshire, the family later coming westward to this county and state, where the parents passed the remainder of their lives.
Captain Chase is an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics he is a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party. He is proud of the fact that he cast his first vote for John C. Fremont for president of the United States. Captain Chase has ever been keenly interested in politics, but has never had any desire whatever to hold public office. He has at various times been elected as township trustee, township clerk and justice of the peace, but has never been induced to fill these offices, although deeply appreciating the sentiments which gave him the election. However, he was induced to become one of the school directors of this district and in this capacity served for twenty-two years. Although neither Captain Chase nor his wife are members of any church society, they both attend and aid in the support of the Methodist Episcopal church at River Sioux. They have both been strong advocates of the principles of right living and try to the best of their ability to measure their lives up to the standard set by the Golden Rule. In this brief space justice cannot be done to these two useful and well-balanced lives. They both have tried to measure up to the perfect standard of living, to give a helping hand wherever possible, and now in the eventide of their lives they have the honor and loving respect which is by right theirs.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 538, 539, 540 Family Researcher: NA
Thomas CHATBURN -
The Chatburn family are of English descent and the first members of the family to come to the United States located in Harrison county, Iowa, in 1855. The parents of Thomas Chatburn, a prosperous farmer of Magnolia township, were born, reared and married in England, where all of their children except Thomas, were born. Mr. Chatburn started in at the foot of the ladder, but by hard work and good management has accumulated a farm of five hundred and fifty acres in Harrison county. This is ample evidence that he has directed his energies in a definite manner, and the high esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow citizens shows that he is a man of high character.
Thomas Chatburn, the son of Richard and Mary (DUXBURY) Chatburn, was born in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa, January 21, 1867. His parents reared a family of ten children, five boys and five girls. Three of the boys and two of the girls are still living.
Richard Chatburn was born in Lancashire, England, in 1823. His wife was born near his home June 19, 1825. Richard Chatburn came to America with his wife and family in 1865 and bought the present farm of eighty acres where his son, Thomas, is now living. He lived on this farm until his death, in 1912, his wife having died in 1874. He was an active worker in the Latter-Day Saints, who have a church in Magnolia.
Thomas Chatburn was educated in the district schools of Magnolia township and completed his education in the high school at Magnolia. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age and then began farming for himself by renting his father's farm. He married when he was twenty-two years of age and for the next quarter of a century he and his good wife have lived and worked together on their farm in Magnolia township. He is one of the largest land holders in the county, and one of the largest stock producers. He keeps his farm improved in such a way as to get good results, and under his skillful management it yields a satisfactory return year after year.
Mr. Chatburn was married in 1889 to Matilda RADTKE, who was born in Sibley county, Minnesota, in 1871, and is a sister of George Radtke, whose history gives a sketch of her family. Mr. Chatburn and his wife have three sons, Guy, John and Thomas. Guy is a graduate of the Magnolia and Logan high schools; he also took a five-year course at Ames College, where he graduated in electrical engineering. He is now city electrician of Pellston, Michigan, while Thomas is still at home with his parents. John married Emma Neidermeyer, of Magnolia, and rents one of his father's farms.
Mr. Chatburn is a Republican in politics and is now serving as school director of Magnolia township. The township has a consolidated school and Mr. Chatburn takes an active interest in keeping it at a high standard. The family are members of the Latter-Day Saints church and give it their hearty support at all times. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Chatburn ranks among the most enterprising farmers of the county and he merits a place among the representative men who have made this county one of the garden spots of the state.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 845, 846 Family Researcher: NA
David G. CLARK -
The lives of the early settlers of every community are always interesting subjects upon which the biographer may dwell. Likewise, it is interesting to dwell upon the history of those families that are identified with the pioneer days of any state. The Clark family, of Douglas township, Harrison county, Iowa, have been prominent in the affairs of that township for at least two generations.
David G. Clark was born on March 11, 1850, in Jefferson township, Dane county, Wisconsin, the son of Alma and Anneliza (ADAMS) Clark. They were natives of Chautauqua county, New York, and Quebec, Canada. His father was of old Yankee stock and his mother of a Dutch-Canadian family. She came to Wisconsin when a small child with her parents. His father came west with his brother when young men, and walked from Milwaukee to Prairie, Wisconsin, a distance of one hundred miles, carrying their supplies on their back and having only a blazed tree trail to follow. They bought a farm from the government where the father lived until 1876. In July, the father moved to Harrison county, Iowa, and in October, David G. followed. He had located in Minnesota, in the spring of 1875, but the grasshoppers ate up the crops. Undaunted by his misfortunes here, he came to Harrison county. Times were hard, and the first two years he was here, he had only fifty cents worth of sugar and one sack of flour. Cornmeal, in various forms, was the principal diet.
David G. Clark worked for L. R. Boulter, for four years, near Jeddo. He then rented land for one year and bought forty acres in Cass township, in section 51, which cost seven dollars an acre, and which required a twenty-five-dollar payment for the first installment. He had to borrow some of the money to do that. Mr. Clark then raised cattle for J. B. Seekell, of Logan, on shares, and thus got his start. He added eighty acres more to his first forty acres and lived there until 1904, when he moved to his present farm, which he had bought in 1903. The farm was poorly equipped, and where the buildings are now located, there was a grove of timber. Mr. Clark improved the place and now has a good house, a barn, thirty-six by fifty-four feet, and other buildings, of the most substantial kind. He has ninety-five acres of land in the farm, which is situated in sections 16 and 21, of Douglas township.
Mr. Clark was married to Eliza Jane BUCHANAN on October 18, 1872, who was born on January 5, 1848, in St. Lawrence county, New York, and who was a daughter of Hugh and Jane (ADAMSON) Buchanan. They were natives of Ireland, having come from near Dublin. They moved from New York to Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Clark six children have been born, Nellie, Alma, Mary, Florence, Gertrude and Vera. Nellie married Irwin Hunt, and has five children, Arlon, Lois, Pearl, Eva and Opal. Alma married Bertha Cowan, and has two children, Guy and Glenn. Mary married William Stoner. Florence married John H. Stoner, and has one child, Lyle. Gertrude married William Hall, and lives in Montana, where they have a ranch. They have four boys, Howard, Leslie, David and Harold. Vera is still single, and lives at home.
Mr. Clark does general farming and stock raising. His hogs are thoroughbred Duroc-Jersey and his other stock of a very excellent breed. He feeds about one hundred head of hogs each year and about one carload of cattle.
Mr. Clark relates an interesting incident in his father's life. He lived about one hundred miles from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where there was a tract of land of about one hundred and sixty acres, which he and a Major Anderson both wanted. It being government land, it was subject to entry. Mr. Clark's father got word one evening at four o'clock that the major had started to Milwaukee, on horseback, to file on the land. His father immediately got money enough from his father-in-law to enter the land and started out on foot to Milwaukee. The next morning when the land office opened he was sitting on the steps, having walked the hundred miles in about fourteen hours. Mr. Clark's father used to carry his seed potatoes from Milwaukee on his back, as well as other supplies.
David G. Clark is a Republican. He has been township trustee, justice of the peace, president of the school board, and has held other offices, although he has never been an office-seeker. All of the duties of these offices have been performed in a manner highly acceptable to the people of the township. Mr. Clark is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Encampment and the Woodmen of the World. Mr. and Mrs. Clark are representative citizens of Douglas township, in every way, and are honored by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 893, 894, 895 Family Researcher: NA
Sandord H. COCHRAN -
Sanford H. Cochran, a well-known lawyer of Logan, Iowa, who is descended from militant and patriotic stock, is himself a man, who, in the peaceful pursuits of life, has given much to the cause of good government. Not that Mr. Cochran is an office-holder, for he has never held office, but he is a man, who, because of his broad informative knowledge, is regarded as a leader and looked to, by many of his fellow townsmen, for counsel. Mr. Cochran has enjoyed a long and interesting career, and few men of his generation were able to acquire a better training for his profession.
Born on May 20, 1852, at Carmi, in White county, Illinois, Sanford H. Cochran is the son of Sanford, Sr., and Martha E. (JOHNSON) Cochran. Sanford Cochran, Sr., was a native of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and his wife, who, before her marriage, was Martha E. Johnson, was a native of Clarksville, Tennessee. She came to Kentucky, and there met and married Mr. Cochran's father, who, after their marriage, removed to Illinois, where they remained the balance of their lives. Sanford Cochran, Sr., was a soldier in the Mexican War, having served as a private in Captain Lawler's company of independent cavalry. He, also, was a veteran of the Civil War, having at the outset of that war organized Company B, Fifty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After the organization of the company he was elected its captain, and served in that capacity throughout the war. After the Civil War had closed, he returned to his home in Carmi, Illinois, and shortly afterward was made police magistrate, an office which he held until the time of his death.
Sanford, Sr., and Martha E. (Johnson) Cochran, were the parents of five children, three of whom are now deceased. Sanford H. and Isabelle, who married Capt. H. C. Reager, of Evansville, Indiana, are the only living children. William R., John S. and Janie are deceased.
Mr. Cochran's career, during the time he was pursuing an education, was very interesting. He was a student of many schools. After having graduated from the common schools of Illinois, he spent one and one-half years in the Southern Illinois Normal University, at Carbondale, in Jackson county, Illinois. After this, he received an appointment to the United States Military Academy, at West Point, and was a student, at this institution, for one year. Upon leaving West Point, Mr. Cochran decided to follow the law as a profession, and entered the Iowa State University Law School, at Iowa City. He was graduated from this institution in 1874, at the age of twenty-two years, and immediately began the practice of law in Harrison county. Having settled in Logan, in 1874, Mr. Cochran has lived here since that time, a period of more than forty years. During this time he has built up an extensive and lucrative practice, which practice extends to the county, state and federal courts of Iowa and Nebraska. He is not only considered a wise and judicious counselor, but likewise a profound student of legal principles as well as an able and successful practitioner in court.
Sanford H. Cochran was married, April 27, 1877, to Mary E. SHIMMINS, the daughter of Philip and Jane (WARE) Shimmins, both of whom came from Ramsey, Isle of Man. After coming to this country, they lived in New York city for a short time, then removing to Buffalo, New York, and later to Wisconsin, where they lived for some time, and then settled at Missouri Valley, Iowa. Philip Shimmins was a gold beater by trade, and followed that occupation while living in New York city. While living in Wisconsin he worked in the woolen mills at Darlington.
Mr. and Mrs. Sanford H. Cochran have had three children, Vernice, married George W. Egan, who lives at Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Camille and Hortence live at home. Mr. Cochran is not a member of any lodge and is not affiliated actively with any church. He has never held office.
Mr. Cochran is independent in politics, not only from choice, but for the reason that he believes he can thus serve the cause of good government in the best possible way. Very few men are so well known in Harrison county, Iowa, as Mr. Cochran, and not very many have lived in the county so long as he. During the many years he has lived in Harrison county, he has enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the people of this county, and today is an honored and respected resident and citizen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 910, 911, 912 Family Researcher: NA
William H. COLLINS -
More than forty years have elapsed since William H. Collins came to Harrison county, Iowa, as a young man of eighteen. Born and reared in West Virginia he came to this county in 1874, where he worked for a short time and then went to Texas. Soon after he returned to Harrison county, and has since continued to make this county his home. He has lived on the same farm in Raglan township since the spring of 1866, and has engaged in general farming and stock raising in such a manner as to make a comfortable living for himself and family.
William H. Collins, the son of Edward and Rebecca (COPELAND) Collins, was born October 15, 1856, in Monroe county, West Virginia. Edward Collins was a native of County Monaghan, Ireland, while his wife was born in West Virginia. Edward Collins was a mason by trade and followed that occupation along with general farming.
William Collins was the youngest of six children born to his parents. He was educated in the schools of Monroe county, West Virginia, and lived at home until he was eighteen years of age. He then came west to Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, and worked for his uncle, James Collins, remaining with him for two years. Desiring to see more of the west he then went to Texas and herded cattle and sheep for about two years. By that time he had enough of the �wild west,� was glad to return to Harrison county, and was never again seized with a desire to leave it.
Shortly after returning to the county he was married and began farming on rented land. After renting for three years he bought one hundred and twenty acres in Jackson and Raglan townships. There were few improvements on the farm and a year later he sold it and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 15 in Little Sioux township. He lived on this farm for five years, during which time he bought one hundred and sixty acres in Raglan township, and in the spring of 1886 he moved on to his present farm. During the many years which have elapsed since he settled on it, he has had the opportunity to bring it to a high state of cultivation. Many improvements have been added from time to time and now it is one of the best improved farms in the community. He raised all of the crops common to this locality and gave a proper amount of attention to stock raising. He died March 1, 1915.
Mr. Collins was married February 26, 1880, to Susan SOUTH, who was born in Monroe county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Jackson and Rebecca (NOAH) South, natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively. The parents of Mrs. Collins later located in Harrison county and owned the farm where Mrs. Collins now lives.
To William H. and Susan Collins were born five children, four of whom are living, Cora, Minnie, Edith and Mabel. Cora, who married William Oliver, lives in Raglan township, has four children, Leal, Leslie, Annie and Homer. Minnie married Reuben Clark, and lives on the old home place in Raglan township. Edith, who married Charles Oliver, a farmer of Little Sioux township, have five children, Blanche, Lucile, Joy, Everett and Wayne. Mabel married Harry Goodman, a farmer of Raglan township.
Mr. Collins usually gave his support to the Democratic party, although he was not a partisan in any sense of the word. He believed in voting for the best men rather than for the platforms of any particular party. He served as township trustee for several years and gave to this office that careful attention which the office demands. The family are loyal supporters of the Christian church, to whose support they are generous contributors. In addition to the four living children of Mr. and Mrs. Collins, they have one son, Thomas, who died at the age of ten. They also adopted two children, Virgil and George Andrews, the children of Minnie, one of the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Collins.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 873, 874, 875 Family Researcher: NA
Hugh R. COULTHARD -
Farmers are no longer content to plow and sow and reap. Recent high prices brought on a flood of prosperity such as has never been known in this country and many farmers have become extremely wealthy as a consequence of good management and the high prices of farm products. As farmers have become wealthy they have been able to enjoy more leisure; and as they have enjoyed leisure they have spent those moments in discussing questions of general public interest. As farmers have acquired wealth they have been able to surround themselves with every modern convenience, all of the comforts and most of the luxuries which the people in the cities enjoy. Hugh R. Coulthard is one of the most progressive farmers of Harrison county, Iowa.
Hugh R. Coulthard was born on June 26, 1864, in Middlesex county, Ontario, Canada, the son of Robert L. and Jane (EDDIE) Coulthard, natives of Dumfries and Inverness, Scotland, respectively. His father was born on August 15, 1812, and his mother in June, 1820. Robert L. Coulthard came to the United States in 1824 with his parents.
Hugh R. Coulthard came to Harrison county in 1877 with his parents. He received a common-school education in Canada before coming to this country, he having had to walk three miles to school in Ontario. After coming to Harrison county he had to walk a mile and a half to school. He lived at home until he was married, after which he bought one hundred and fifty acres of land in Cincinnati township. He made his home in California Junction, his land adjoining that town. He has since added to his holdings and now owns two hundred and forty acres, a store building in California Junction and other property. He likewise owns one thousand acres of land in Alberta, Canada, and four hundred acres in Montana, the latter being irrigated land.
On February 25, 1891, Mr. Coulthard was married to Elizabeth L. SMITH, who was born on April 1, 1872, in Cincinnati township, Harrison county, the daughter of W. A. and Emma L. (HOAG) Smith, who were natives of New York, coming to Harrison county from that state. Mr. Smith is one of Harrison county's largest land owners and a member of one of the oldest and most highly respected families.
Mr. and Mrs. Coulthard have six children, Robert Ross, Vern R., W. Ivan, Juanita, Angerita and Leah. Robert R., born on December 14, 1891, married Hazel Smith and lives on the old J. S. Fountain farm in Cincinnati township. Vern R., born on January 24, 1898, is a student in Ames University, Ames, Iowa. W. Ivan, born on December 17, 1898, is a student in the high school at California Junction. Juanita and Angerita (twins), born in 1900, and Leah A., born in 1911, are still at home.
The parents of Hugh R. Coulthard came to the United States about 1824, both families locating in New York. They lived there until they were married and then moved to New Brunswick. They lived there only a short time and then moved to Ontario, where they cleared up a farm and lived until 1877 when they came to Harrison county, the father previously, in 1858, having come to Harrison county, where he bought two hundred and forty acres of land in Cincinnati township. Following that transaction he went back to Ontario where he lived until in may, 1877. It was at this latter date that the subject of this sketch came to Harrison county.
In 1903 Hugh R. Coulthard helped to organize the California Grain and Lumber Company, of California Junction, and has had charge of the business since that time. Mr. Coulthard also engages in general farming and stock raising, making a specialty of thoroughbred Duroc-Jersey hogs and Hereford cattle. He annually feeds about one hundred and thirty head of hogs and about one carload of cattle.
Mr. Coulthard is an active Democrat and has served as school treasurer for twenty years. He and his family are active and devoted members of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Coulthard is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the blue lodge at Modale, the chapter at Missouri Valley, the commandery at Council Bluffs, the Shrine at Sioux City and the Scottish rite at Des Moines. Mr. Coulthard and his wife are members of the Eastern Star and their son Robert is also a Mason. Mr. Coulthard and family enjoy the esteem of a large circle of acquaintances in Harrison county, a distinction which they deserve because of their many good works.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 797, 798, 799 Family Researcher: NA