Dealer in dry goods and clothing, came to IA. in 1864, and located at
Council Bluffs; established his present business in Missouri Valley in
1867. He has a fine store on the corner of Fourth and Erie streets, and
carries a large stock of goods.
BAILEY, M. I.
Attorney at law, established business in 1875. He was born in Delaware
county, N. Y., in 1847; removed to Missouri Valley, IA., in 1875, and
engaged in the practice of law. He married C. L. Ames; a native of N.
Y. Mr. B. is the present mayor of this city.
BALL, J. H.
Proprietor of billiard parlor – corner 6th and Huron streets - is a
native of Ind.; moved to Knoxville, Marion county, IA., with parents in
1851. In 1862 he engaged in freighting in company with J. B. Beard,
which he continued until 1865. He then traveled through the territories
until he settled in Council Bluffs in 1869; moved to Missouri Valley in
1878, and engaged in his present business.
BALDWIN, J. T.
Foreman of the boiler shops at Missouri Valley, was born in MD. He was
employed in the navy yards at Washington, D. C, until 1868, when he
moved to Omaha, Neb., and was in the employ of the U. P. R. R.; came to
this city in 1870, and assumed his present position.
BARBER, C. H.
Proprietor of the Palace billiard parlor, is a native of N. Y.; removed
to Clinton, IA., in 1878, and was in the employ of the Union Iron
Works; thence to Missouri Valley in 1879, and was in the employ of the
railroad companies until 1881, when he established his present business.
BERRY, J. M.
Proprietor of the city livery, is a native of Ind.; came with parents
to Harrison county, IA., in 1855, was engaged in farming until 1879,
when he came to Missouri Valley and engaged in his present business.
BERRY, T. N.
Of the firm of Morgan & Berry, grocers, was born in Pottawattamie
county, IA., in 1855; moved with his parents to Harrison county in
1856. He located in Missouri Valley in 1879, and was engaged in the
livery business until 1881, when he entered the above firm.
BERKLEY, J. L.
Of the firm of Grigsby & Berkley, a dealer in general merchandise,
is a native of Va.; moved to Magnolia, Harrison county, IA., in 1872;
thence to Missouri Valley in 1876, and engaged in milling until Oct.,
1881, when he engaged in his present business, with W. E. Grigsby, a
wealthy farmer of Harrison county.
BOIES, E. A.
Dealer in general hardware, is a native of OH.; moved to Magnolia,
Harrison county, IA., in 1867, and to Missouri Valley in 1869 and was
employed as salesman and journeyman tinner in the hardware business. He
engaged in the business for himself in 1877, sold out after two years,
and resumed business again in May, 1881.
BRADLEY, W. H. Jr.
Of the firm of Walker & Bradley, a dealer in general merchandise,
is a native of Canada; came to the U. S. in 1869, and located at
Missouri Valley, IA. He was employed as salesman in the mercantile
business, until he entered his present business in 1878.
BRESEE, Mrs. A. E.
Dealer in millinery and fancy goods, located in Crawford county, IA. in
1877, and moved to Missouri Valley in 1879, and engaged in present
business; carries a large and complete stock of goods, and does all
branches of millinery work.
law, was born in Jackson county, OH., in 1845; removed to Appanoose
county, IA., where he lived until he moved to Missouri Valley. He is a
graduate of the Iowa State University. He married Fanny G. Manning, a
native of Iowa.
BUMP, W. P.
Of the firm of
Bump& Smith, dealers in general merchandise, was born in Addison
county, VT., in 1811; moved to western N. Y. in 1831, and in 1836 he
engaged in the mercantile business; continued there until 1856, when he
removed to Rochelle, Ill.; thence to Missouri Valley in 1869, and
engaged in his present business.
Proprietor of billiard parlor, was born in Courtland county, N. Y. He
was employed for several years as conductor on the S. B. & N. Y.
Ry., also was telegraph operator for same road. He moved to Neb. in
1875, and engaged in the stock business; removed to Missouri Valley in
1877 and engaged in his present business, on the corner of Fifth and
CALEY, J. C.
Dealer in boots and
shoes, was born in Cleveland, OH. He enlisted in Co. I, 29th O. Vol.,
served one year, and in the spring of 1863 went to Montana; returned to
Ohio in 1864, and two years later came to Missouri Valley, and built
the first building in the town, excepting a few R. R. buildings. He is
the pioneer boot and shoe dealer of the city.
CARLISLE, C. J., T. C. & W. M.
Of the firm of Carlisle Bros., wholesale and retail dealers in
hardware, wagon stocks, pumps, agricultural implements, and sewing
machines, are natives of OH.; came to Missouri Valley, IA., in 1872,
and engaged in their present business.
CHENEY, Maj. J. F.
Senior proprietor of the Merchants and Depot Hotels at Sioux City, IA.,
also of a Hotel at Blair, Neb., and the Union Hotel at Missouri Valley,
was born in Grafton county, N. H. In 1861 he enlisted in the 1st Ill.
Light Art.; as a private, was soon promoted to first lieutenant, then
to captain, then to major and when discharged at the close of the war
was lieutenant colonel. He then opened the Nachusa house at Dixon,
Ill., also a summer resort at Spring Lake, Mich., called the Spring
Lake house. He moved to Sioux City and opened the Merchants Hotel, in
1880, and his other hotel soon after. Major C. is one of the oldest
hotel men in the country, and all of his hotels will be found to be
CHENOWETH, W. M.
Manufacturer of cigars, is a native of PA.; came to Missouri Valley in
1879, and engaged in his present business. He employs five men in the
COIT, G. W. (M.D.)
Born in N. J., in
1837; was assistant surgeon during the latter part of the war of the
rebellion. He graduated from the Bellevue Hospital, M. Y. in March
1866, and came to Harrison county in Nov. of the same year, and located
at St. Johns; the following February, removed to Missouri Valley. He
has been government examining surgeon for Western Iowa ten years.
Engineer for the S. C. & P. transfer company, was born in VA. in
1842; moved to Ill. in 1849, and in 1859 engaged in steam boating on
the Mississippi river. In 1866 he went to Quincy, Ill., and took charge
of the machine shops for two years; then came to Missouri Valley and
was employed in his present position. He has been absent one year since
coming to this city, traveling on the Pacific coast.
CROWDER, J. H.
Postmaster, also dealer in books, jewelry and fancy goods, is a native
of IN.; removed to Harrison county in 1866. He enlisted in the war of
the rebellion, in the 18th IA. Reg.; was a member of the band. He was
appointed postmaster in 1871, which office he has since held.
DAHL, N. S.
Jeweler, is a native of Denmark; came to America in 1873, and settled
in Chicago. He engaged in the jewelry business in various parts of the
west, until 1879, when he located in Missouri Valley and opened his
DANCE, F. M.
Attorney at law,
was born in WS. in 1838; moved to Missouri Valley, IA., in 1868 and
engaged in general law and real estate business. He graduated from the
law department of the Ann Arbor University, in 1867.
DAVIS, C. H.
Born in Penobscot county, ME., in 1839; moved to Mass. in 1852 and went
to sea as a cabin boy. At the breaking out of the war in 1861 he
enlisted in the navy in Com. Farragut's fleet; was transferred to Com.
Dahlgren's fleet in 1864. He left the navy at the close of the war and
in 1866 moved to Council Bluffs, IA., and was engaged as engineer on
the Missouri river, until coming to Missouri Valley; is here employed
by the S. C. & P. R. R. company.
DAVIS, F. L.
Insurance agent, was born in Western N. Y. He enlisted in 1801 in Co.
E, 5th N. Y. Cav., was discharged in 1862 and returned to N. Y., and
soon after was appointed deputy sheriff of Cattaraugus county. He came
to Iowa in 1870 and located at River Sioux; in 1872 moved to Missouri
Valley and engaged in the livery business; was also deputy sheriff for
several years. In 1878 he engaged in his present business.
DEUR, C. H.
Lumber dealer, was born in N. Y.; moved with his parents in 1860 to
Pottawattamie county, IA.; thence to Missouri Valley in 1877 and
engaged in his present business. He has always a good supply of hard
and soft coal, builders' supplies, lime, hair, cement, etc.
FRICK, M. S.
Of the firm of Frick & Snyder, a dealer in general merchandise, is
a native of PA.; moved to IA. in 1865 and to Harrison county in 1868,
was engaged in contracting and building, then dealing in furniture,
previous to engaging in his present business in the spring of 1881.
GREEN, Geo. S.
Of the firm of G. S. Green & Co., proprietors of the Commercial
House, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Vinton, IA. in 1860; thence to
Missouri Valley in 1875 and was engaged in various business houses,
also in the post office, until Nov., 1881, when he purchased the hotel
and engaged in his present business.
HANCOCK, J. J.
Tobacco dealer, was born in England in 1830; came to America in 1851,
and located at London, Canada; removed to Buffalo, N. Y., in 1853, and
engaged in the boot and shoe business. He removed to Dubuque, IA., in
1858; thence to Sioux Falls, Dakota in 1871, where he resumed the boot
and shoe business. In 1878 he was in the employ of the American Express
Company In 1879 he located in Missouri Valley.
Dealer in stock, is one of the pioneers of Harrison county, IA., came
to this county in 1867 and located at St. Johns, and engaged in the
grocery business. He moved to Missouri Valley the same year and
continued the grocery business; is now buying and selling stock.
HARRIS, Hon. D. M.
Senior member of the firm of Harris & Son, editors and proprietors of the Missouri Valley Times,
was born in Dayton, Montgomery county, OH., in 1821, and moved with
parents to IN. in 1824; thence to Maury county, TN. In 1854, he came to
Audubon county, IA., and engaged in farming and the real estate
business, and there served three terms as county judge. He represented
the 26th Iowa district during two sessions of the legislature. He next
removed to Panora, Guthrie county, and engaged in the practice of law,
also editing and publishing the Guthrie County Ledger. In 1868 he first came to Missouri Valley and established the Harrisonian, which he sold in 1872, the name of the paper being changed to the Missouri Valley Times. In the same year he moved to Independence, KS.; and published the Kansas Democrat,
returned to Missouri Valley in 1873, engaging in the mercantile
business. His establishment was shortly afterwards destroyed by fire,
and he located at Exira, which town he had previously '"laid out," and
began the publication of the Audubon County Defender. Soon afterwards he published the Cap-Sheaf, at Atlantic, Cass county, which he conducted until 1876, when he resumed the publication of the Times
at Missouri Valley. He was married in 1842 to Martha M. White, of
Tenn.; has six sons and four daughters. Mr. Harris was the democratic
candidate for lieutenant governor of IA., in 1866, and was twice a
candidate for county representative from Harrison county. He has held a
number of minor offices. Robert H. Harris is a son of Judge Harris, and
junior member of the firm. He was born in Tenn., in 1854, and in 1874
was married to Frances Chapman, of Exira, IA. They have two sons.
JAMES, E. F.
Dealer in agricultural implements, pumps, windmills, etc., is a native
of PA., lived during youth in Ill.; moved to Missouri Valley, IA., in
1868. He engaged in railroading, until 1873, when he engaged in his
present business; is also proprietor of the James line of drays and
LUCAS, J. B.
Attorney at law, was
born in Lucas county, IA., in 1858; removed to Missouri Valley in 1875.
He was admitted to the bar in Harrison county, and established office
in Oct., 1881.
MANDEVILL, F. L.
born near Rochester, N. Y., in 1835; moved to Milwaukee, WS., in 1842;
thence to Missouri Valley in 1871 and engaged in his present business;
carries a complete stock in the drug line.
MCGAVREN, Hon. G. H. (M.D.)
A native of PA.; came to Harrison county in 1854 and first located at
St. Johns; removed to Missouri Valley in 1868. He was elected to the
legislature in 1870, and is engaged in the practice of medicine with
his son, Charles, who is a graduate of the Rush Medical College, at
MORGAN, S. H.
Of the firm of
Morgan& Berry, grocers, was born in IN.; moved to Lucas county,
IA., in 1859. He enlisted in 1861, in Co. C, 13th IA. Vol.; served
until Sept., 1862; then returned to Lucas county and engaged in
farming; removed to Harrison county in 1864 and settled in St. Johns
and engaged in the drug business; removed to Missouri in 1868, and came
back to Harrison county in 1877 and located at Missouri Valley and
engaged in his present business.
Born in Sweden; came to America in 1870 and was in the employ of the S.
C. & P. Ry., at Sioux City, until 1879 when he was appointed
passenger conductor on the Nebraska division.
RAMSEYER, W. H.
Superintendent of the car shops at Missouri Valley, was born in N. Y.;
moved to Neb. in 1867 and engaged in the furniture business, and in
1869 came to this city and was employed by the S. C. & P. R. R.
company as pattern maker. He was appointed superintendent in 1871.
ROCKWELL, A. H.
Contractor and builder, was born in Otsego county, N. Y.; moved to
Missouri Valley, IA., in May 1873. He has built most of the brick
blocks and fine residences in the place.
Foreman of the S. C. & P. R. R. company's paint shop, at Missouri
Valley, was born in Pa.; moved to Chicago, Ill., in 1854 with parents,
and was employed in the C. & N. W. R. R. paint shops, until coming
to this city in 1877 and accepting his present position.
SHIELDS, S. B.
Dealer in general merchandise, was born in N. J. He came west in 1870,
settled in Missouri Valley in 1872, and engaged in his present business.
SMITH, S. B.
Proprietor of the City barber shop, is a native of Ark.; removed to
Polk county, IA., in 1862 and to Harrison county in 1881, and
established his present business at Missouri Valley.
TAMISIEA, A. L.
Harness maker and dealer, was born in Dubuque, IA., in 1855; removed
with parents in 1856 to Harrison county, IA. He came to Missouri Valley
in 1875, and engaged in the confectionery business. He engaged in his
present business in 1879.
TAMISIEA, J. D.
in groceries and provisions, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Dubuque,
IA., in 1853; thence to Harrison county in 1856; moved to Missouri
Valley in 1877, and engaged in his present business.
TEAL, S. A.
Manager of the railroad machine shops, at Missouri Valley, IA., was
born in Albany county, N. Y., in 1831. He was for a time engaged in the
iron business at Zanesville, OH.; moved to Chicago in 1853 and was
employed as engineer for the C, B. & Q. R. R.; remained there four
years; then came to Cass county, IA.; thence to Council Bluffs, in
1861, and was engaged as manager of the iron works at that place;
thence to this city in 1876 and engaged as manager of machine shops.
Of the firm of Williams & Blenkiron, proprietors of meat market,
was born in England in 1855; came to America in 1861 and settled with
his parents in Cherokee, IA.; removed to Missouri Valley in 1876 and
engaged in his present business.
WARREN, Horace N.
Dentist, was born in Council Bluffs, IA., Aug. 24th, 1858; he studied
dentistry with Dr. H. N. Urnuy. He located permanently in Missouri
Valley in 1880; makes professional visits to Logan every two months,
and three times a year at Little Sioux and Magnolia, IA. Although
comparatively a newcomer, he has by his careful and skillful practice,
established a very lucrative business.
Source: History of Western Iowa, Western Publishing Company, Sioux City, 1882