BACON, Capt. George S.
Farmer, was born in Cayuga county, N. Y., in Sept., 1825. He moved to Washington, D. C, where he attended the Columbia College; graduated in the regular course in 1849, and afterwards taught in the College. He moved to Fairmont, W. Va.; thence in 1856 to Harrison county, Ia., and located on the farm of one hundred and forty acres, where he now resides. On this farm is an extensive orchard of fifteen hundred bearing apple trees. He enlisted in 1862. was first lieutenant of Co. C., 29th Ia. Inft., until the death of Capt. Fuller, when he was appointed Capt. He was in a number of important battles, and was wounded at Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., left on the field for dead, captured and held in prison thirteen months. He was exchanged in May, 1865, and returned with the last lot of prisoners. He was discharged in August of the same year. He has been treasurer of Harrison county two terms. In 1850 he married Mrs. Caroline Murphy, at Magnolia. They have two daughters.
Farmer, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Ia. in 1859 and located near Council Bluffs, and was engaged in freighting to Denver, Col., until 1864, when he moved to Harrison county, and engaged in farming near Modale.
BROADHEAD, W. W.
Proprietor of billiard hall, is a native of O.; moved to Modale, Ia., in 1877 and engaged in farming. In 1881 he engaged in his present business.
Dealer in groceries, is a native of Mo.; moved to Mills county, Ia., in 1851; thence to Harrison county in 1867. He engaged in his present business in 1878.
CHRISTIAN, R. (M.D.)
Born in N. Y.; moved to Jefferson, Greene county, Ia., in 1867; graduated from the Hahnaman Medical College, of Chicago, III., in 1874, located at Modale in 1879 and engaged in the practice of medicine.
CUTLER, C. J.
Merchant and postmaster, is a native of Pa.; moved to Neb., in 1856. He enlisted in 1862, in. Co. H, 2d Neb. Cav., and was with Gen. Sully fourteen months, on the plains; returned to Neb. and engaged in freighting. In 1866 he removed to Council liluffs, Ia., and engaged in the grocery business. The same year he came to Modale, and in 1874 established his present business; was appointed postmaster the following year.
HUFF, J. W.
M.D. and druggist, was born in Harrison county, in 1857; graduated from the Rush Medical College, of Chicago, Ill., in 1881. He located at Modale, and engaged in his present business in April, 1880.
LUDWIG, F. H.
Farmer, is a native of Pa.; moved to O. in 1855; thence to Modale, Ia., in 1869. He built the first grain house at that place.
Stock and grain dealer, was bom in Ill., in 1831; moved to Harrison county, Ia., in 1854, and engaged in farming. In 1876 he moved to Modale and established the first hardware store in the place. In 1880 he engaged in his present business.
SHARPNACK, W. A.
Dealer in general merchandise, is a native of W. Va., and a son of Henry Sharpnack, who was one of the first settlers of Harrison county. He came to this county in 1857 and engaged in farming, until 1878, when he engaged in his present business. He also deals in grain.
SHARPNACK, W. M.
Dealer in hardware, is a native of Va.; came with his father, John Sharpnack, to Washington county, Ia., in 1850, and four years later came to Harrison county, and engaged in farming until 1880, when he moved to Modale and engaged in his present business.
ALLISON, Thomas H. (M.D.)
Born in Pa.; began the practice of medicine in 1849; removed to Missouri in 1857; thence to Mills county, Iowa; thence to Florence, Neb., and in 1864 located at Council Bluffs, Ta. In 1881 he came to Moudamin, and opened an office.
Agent for the S. C. & P. R. R. at Mondamin, is a native of Cincinnati, O. At the age of nineteen years, he removed to Danville, Ill. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. C, 124th Ill. Vol.; served until Sept.. 1865, then returned to Ill. and engaged in telegraphy at Springfield; has been in the employ of several of the principal railroad companies in the states of Ill., Mo., Neb. and Ia. He was appointed agent at Mondamin in Dec., 1880; is also express agent and attorney at law.
COFFMAN, John T.
Farmer, was born in Greene county, Tenn., in 1828; removed with parents to Johnson county, Mo.; thence to that part of Lee county Ia., then known as the Spanish land grant; thence located in the edge of Putnam county, Mo., which in 1838 became Appanoose county, Ia. He removed to Lewis, Cass county, in 1863, and in the spring of the year following went to Virginia City, Montana; returned in the autumn, and in the spring of 1865 moved to his present farm in Raglan township, Harrison county. He owns one thousand acres of land, and pays especial attention to stock raising. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M, lodge. In 1852 he was married to Matilda J. Croft, who died in 1854, leaving two children. In 1856 he married Susan Croft, and has seven children.
DUPRAY, Frederick M.
Proprietor of hotel and blacksmith shop, was born in Ohio in 1831; moved to Mich, in 1843, and the next year to Jackson county, Ia. In 1852 he removed to Minn., and resided at St. Peter until 1857, when he returned to Ia. He located at Mondamin in 1876, and engaged in his present business. He was elected justice of the peace in 1879.
Farmer, a native of O.; came to Harrison county, Ia., in 1850; his family followed the next year. He owns a farm of 1,200 acres, near Mondamin. He is one of the oldest settlers of this county.
JOHNSTON, B. (M.D.)
Came from O. to Harrison county, Ia., in 1855; returned to O. in 1861, and enlisted in Co. G, 53rd O. Vol. as assistant surgeon; was discharged in 1862, for physical disability; returned to O., where he remained until 1869, when he returned to Harrison county, Ia., and engaged in the practice of medicine at Mondamin.
Harness maker, was born in Algiers, Germany, in 1853; came to America in 1873, and located at Joliet, Ill. He came to Mondamin, Ia., in 1878, and engaged in his present business; deals in all kinds of harness, saddles, and horse furnishings found in first-class shops.
Grocer, a native of O.; settled in Harrison county, Ia., in 1866, and engaged in his present business at Mondamin in Dec., 1881, on the corner of Maple and Main streets.
NOYES, L. H.
Grain dealer, is a native of 0., moved to Harrison county, la., in 1867, and engaged in farming. In 1875 he engaged in his present business.
NOYES, Z. T.
Dealer in general merchandise, was born in O. in 1849; moved to Harrison county in 1856, with his parents, and settled near the present site of Mondamin; moved into the town in 1869, and was for four years employed in his father's store, previous to engaging in his present business.
Dealer in general merchandise, was horn in Cork county, Ireland; came to America in 1854, and settled in Conn.; removed to Chicago, III., in 1865. In 1868 he removed to Jones county, Ia.; thence to Mondamin, Harrison county, in 1870, and engaged in wagon making, which be followed until 1879, and then engaged in his present business. His wife is the pioneer milliner of Mondamin, having established business in 1870. Theirdaughter Mary, was the first child born in the place.
Hardware dealer, was born in Strausberg, Germany, in 1838; came to America iu 1871, and located at Joliet, Ill.; moved to Mondamin, Ia., in 1880, and engaged in his present business.
Manager of the below house, came to Mondamin in 1871, from Omaha, Neb., and is township clerk and city recorder.
SPOONER, P. G.
Hardware dealer, was born in Vt.; moved to N. Y. at an early age and engaged in milling. In 1871 he came to Mondamin, Ia., and engaged in the grain and hardware business.
STUART, James D.
Druggist, was born in Council Bluffs, Ia., in 1860. He graduated from the State Pharmacy in 1880, and in April of the same year engaged in his present business at Mondamin.
Jeweler, was born in O. in 1850; moved to Jones county, Ia., in 1875, and the following year came to Mondamin, Harrison county, and engaged in his present business.
BONNEY, B. F.
Dealer in groceries, is a native of Pa.; moved to Ia., in 1857; settled in Harrison county, and engaged in farming. .He engaged in his present business in River Sioux in 1877.
Dealer in drugs and groceries, was born in Ireland in 1821; came to America in 1810, and located in O. He removed to Little Sioux, Ia., in 1865, and in 1879 engaged in his present business at River Sioux
Dealer in general merchandise, was born in Adams county, Pa.; moved to Ia. in 1857, and engaged in farming. In 1878 he engaged in his present business at River Sioux. He is also a dealer in hardware and lumber.
Agent for the S. C & P. Ry. at River Sioux, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Boone county, Ia. in 1864; thence to Green county, and in 1868 settled in Harrison county. He was the first agent for this road, and billed the first freight on the road.