|ADAMS, B. C.
Of the firm of Adams Bros., stock raisers and dealers (farms in Jefferson township, three miles north of Logan), was born in Asthabula county, O.; moved to Ill.; thence to Wis., and in 1854 came to Harrison county, la. He was in the government service during the late war, as deputy provost marshal and enrolling officer. Was married in Denison, la., in 1858, to Almira P. Carrico, and has five children - three sons and two daughters.
BARNHART, John W.
Attorney at law, was born in Northumberland county. Pa.. Nov. 30th, 1837; moved to Mich, in 1849. He graduated from Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, in 1864; read law with H. T. Severns, and was admitted to the bar in 1865; came to Iowa and located at Boonsboro, Boone county and opened an office. He was mayor of that place three terms. In Feb., 1878, he removed to Logan; has been mayor of this city one term. He was married in Mich. to Susan M. Hicks, of Saratoga, N. Y., July 11th, 1865. They have four children - two sons and two daughters.
BERRY, John A.
Attorney at law, was born in Md. He was a student of the Agricultural College in the senior class of '71; came west in 1874, aud after spending some time in Montana, located at Logan. He engaged in teaching school and in various pursuits, until 1880, when he was admitted to the bar, and engaged in the practice of the law. His office is known as the Harrison County Collection Agency. He married Martha Burnett, of Mount Vernon, la., Nov. 7th, 1880, and has one child, a daughter.
BOLTER, Hon. L. R.
Represents Harrison county in the state legislature. He was born in O. in 1835; moved to Logan in 1863, and engaged in the practice of the law. He was elected to the legislature in 1865, '73, '75 and '81 on the democratic ticket. He was temporary speaker of the house in 1874. In 1855 he married Caroline J. Rhinehart, of Cass county, Mich. They have two sons and one daughter.
BROADWELL, S. A.
Land and loan office, was born in Cincinnati, O., March 21st, 1848. In 1862, he joined the 34th O. Zouaves; was afterwards courier and messenger, and in 1864 returned to Cincinnati. He was employed by Tyler, Davidson & Co. until 1866, when he was appointed sutler of Jefferson Barracks, Mo., where he remained two years; then went to New Orleans, and ran a trading boat for about a year, and then engaged in the wholesale boot and shoe business in New Orleans. He then removed to Mobile, Ala., and engaged in the same business, and through sickness was obliged to discontinue and travel for a time. He next engaged in the land and loan business in Champaign, Ill., remaining there five years; removed thence to Logan, and opened his present office. He is a very popular man, and does an extensive business, owning and controlling four thousand acres and more of well improved lands, besides a large amount of stock. He is one of the leading members of the Masonic order in Ia., being Grand Warden of the Grand Commandery of the State of Iowa.
BUCHANAN, T. J.
Furniture dealer and undertaker, was born in Boone county, Ill., March 10th, 1856; removed to Rockford; thence to Harrison county, la., and engaged in farming three years in Union township. In Feb., 1881, he bought his present business of Rudd & Soper, and carries an elegant stock of goods. He married Alice A. Brownell, at Rockford, Ill., April 14th, 1876, and has one child, a daughter.
CADWELL, E. P.
Of the firm of King & Cadwell, attorneys at law, land, loan and insurance office, was born in Racine, Wis., Dec. 21st, 1854; moved with his parents to Independence, Ia. Entered the Ames Agricultural College in 1871, graduated in 1875, was admitted to the bar in 1877, under Judge Bradley, of Marshalltown, Ia., and soon after opened an office in Logan. In the fall of 1877 he formed a partnership with Mr. Barnhart, and in Nov., 1881, with Mr. King. He owns a fine stock farm in Jefferson township, of 840 acres, well fitted with buildings and improvements, where he keeps about 400 head of cattle, besides horses, hogs, etc., and has 440 acres of pasture land in Monona county. He married Hannah P. Lyman, of Messapotamia, O., in the autumn of 1877. They have one child, a daughter.
CADWELL, Hon. Phineas
President of the Cadwell bank, was born in Madison county, N. Y., April 17th, 1824; moved to Racine, Wis., and engaged in farming; thence to Harrison county, Ia., in Aug., 1854; engaged in farming, until 1875, when he established his present business. He also deals in real estate, loans, and insurance. He was elected to the legislature in 1871, on the republican ticket. He has been president of the county agricultural society twenty years, and on the state agricultural board as one of its directors eighteen years, and served four years as trustee of the state agricultural college at Ames, Ia. He married Harriet N. Fisk, Oct. 7th, 1845, and has three sons and two daughters.
CLYDE, A. W.
Of the firm of Smith & Clyde, attorneys at law, was born in Otsego county, N. Y.; moved to Mitchell county, Ia., in 1855, and was proprietor of the Mitchell County News, for five years. He then moved to Logan, and engaged in the practice of the law. He was married at Madison, Wis., in 1877, to Bessie Johnson, and has one child, a son.
COCHRAN, S. H.
Attorney at law, was born in Carmine, Ills., in 1852; in 1874 he graduated at the Iowa State Law School, and engaged in the practice of law at Missouri Valley; removed to Logan in the fall of 1881; attends exclusively to trial business. In 1880 he was engaged in the prosecution of the Western Millers' Association cases, involving the constitutionality of the "Iowa Fish Way Laws," in which a decree was obtained, holding them void, and he was also successful in obtaining a decree annulling section 3,058 of the code as unconstitutional. In 1880 he was appointed one of the committee of examiners of the law class at Iowa City; was the youngest lawyer on the committee. In 1877 he was married to Mary E. Shimmins, a native of Wis., although of English parentage.
Of the firm of Cofiey & George, proprietors of bakery, restaurant and grocery, was born in Pottawattamie county, la.; was engaged in farming until locating here in Aug., 1881, when he established present thriving business.
County surveyor, was born Jan. 13th, 1822, in Union, Conn.; moved to Mayville, Wis., in the spring of 1847, and was employed on the Fond du Lac & Watertown R. R. He surveyed in 1851, and in the summer of 1852 was again employed by the Railroad Company as surveyor, under J. S. Sewell, engineer. Mr. S. was transferred to the C. & N. W. R. R. on the Ill. division, and sent for Mr. C. to assist. In 1854 he settled in Harrison county, and bought land near Calhoun; has suffered large losses from prairie fire. He enlisted in 1861 in the 5th Ia. Infantry; enlisted as a private; was promoted in 1863 to lieutenant; was engaged in the battle of Pittsburg Landing; was wounded at Corinth, Oct. 6th, 1863, and again at Atlanta, Ga.; was severely wounded by musket shot through the chest, and reported dead; was taken prisoner in that condition, and put in the hospital at Macon, Ga.; was transferred to Charlestown, S. C., and exchanged in December in 1864. He was elected surveyor in 1879, on the republican ticket, and re-elected in 1881; has been justice of the peace of Calhoun township two terms. He married Helen M. Rising, at Maysville, Wis. They have four children living.
CROSSWAIT, Dr. P. R.
Of the firm of P. R. Crosswait & Co., dealers in dry goods, clothing, groceries and general merchandise, was born in Fulton county. Ill., July 12th, 1853; removed to Cass county, Ia., in 1856, and engaged in school teaching until the beginning of the late war, when he enlisted in the 1st Ia. Cav.; served three years west of the Missouri river; was in the battle of Prairie Grove and the taking of Little Rock, Ark. In Sept., 1864, he was mustered out of the service, and went to Rush Medical College, Chicago, and in 1865 settled in Harrison county, where he practiced twelve years; then went to Miami College, at Cincinnati, and graduated in the spring of 1877; then returned to this county and practiced two years in Logan, when he engaged in his present business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge and encampment, also of the A. O. U. W. lodge. He married Mary Murphy, of Magnolia, Ia.
Farmer, La Grange township, owns 305 acres of land all fenced and a well improved stock farm. He was born in Durham, Eng.; came to America in 1846 and located in Pa.; removed to Ia. in 1862 and located on his present farm and has a fine herd of cattle. He married Anna Phillips, in Pa., in 1853. They have seven children. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
EVANS, John V.
Attorney at law, was born in Genesee county, N. Y., Jan. 8th, 1847; removed to Clinton county, la., in 1863; studied law with Geo. B. Young of De Witt, and was admitted to the bar in Clinton, Dec. 7th, 1870. He removed to Magnolia, Harrison county; thence to Logan at the time it became the county seat. He was county attorney two years and mayor of Logan the first two terms; is a member of the 1. O. O. F. lodge and encampment and a blue lodge mason. He married Clara M. King, June 16th, 1875. They have one child, a son.
P. M. and druggist, also dealer in stationery, toys, etc., was born in McHenry county, Ill., Aug. 26th, 1845; removed to Council Bluffs in 1868 and was with DeHaven & Giddings, druggists. In 1869, came to Magnolia, Harrison county, and in 1872 came to Logan and engaged in his present business. In June, 1875, was appointed postmaster of Logan. He married Helen N. Nelson in Beloit, Wis. They have one child, a son.
GOODENOUGH, W. B.
Shoemaker, was born in Lewis county, N. Y., May 17th, 1862; moved with parents in Nov., 1867, to Logan, Ia., and is engaged in the above business, with his father M. H. Goodenough, who was born in Lewis County, N. Y., and was engaged in shoe making, until he came to Logan, where he resumed same business. He served from 1863 to the close of the war, in 20th N. Y. Cav. He married Aug. 17th, 1856, to Emeline Dodge. They have three sons and two daughters.
GROW, A. K.
County recorder, was born in Courtlandt county, N. Y., in 18__; removed to Washington county. Neb., in 1857; thence to Harrison county, Ia., in Nov., 1858, and settled in Boyer township and engaged in milling for three years; then built a mill which he ran until 1875, and sold to John & Wilson Williams. Was elected to his present office in 1876 on republican ticket. He married Eliza J. Baskin, a native of Pa. They have one son and six daughters.
GUILFORD, G. W.
Proprietor of meat market, was born in Orleans county, Vt., 1843; moved to Tama county, Ia., in 1860. He enlisted in 1861 in the 10th Ia. Vol. Inft., and served four years and two mouths; was in twenty-seven engagements; was wounded at the battle of Champion Hill, Miss.; was at the seige of Corinth and New Madrid, at the battle of Missouri Ridge and wounded twice. Was with Sherman in the march to the sea; discharged in 1865. Came to Harrison county in 1867; resided in Dunlap thirteen years; while there, was a member of the city council four years. Has lived in Logan two years; is now a member of tlie city council of that place. He married Mrs. Campbell, of Harlan, Ia. They have two sons and three daughters. He is a member of the G. A. R. post at this place.
HARVEY, A. L.
Of the firm of Harvey & Ford, proprietors of the Harrison County Bank, was born in Madison county, N. Y., in July, 1826; removed to Rockland county in 1853; thence to Jasper county, Ia., in 1856, and the following year located at Magnolia, Harrison county. In 1860 he was elected county treasurer and recorder, the two offices being consolidated; was re-elected in 1862. He opened a land and loan office in 1864, and when Logan became the county seat removed there; in 1876 established the bank with J. C. Milliman, who sold his share in 1878 to Mr. Ford. Mr. H. was the first land agent and first notary public in the county, has sold about 25,000 acres of land during the last year (1881), owns a fine farm of 436 acres, four and one-half miles from Woodbine, besides about 200 acres in other parts of the county. Has been internal revenue assessor three vears. Is a member of the A. F. and A. M. lodge, also of the I. O. O. F.
HARDY, D. M.
Deputy treasurer, was born in Glenwood, Ia., in 1851; removed with his parents to Harrison county, is son of Judge Hardy, one of the oldest settlers of this county and the first county judge. He is an extensive farmer, and one of the proprietors of Willow mill, the oldest mill in the county. Mr. Hardy is a member of the A. O. U. W. lodge, also of the 1. O. O. F. He married Miss Severins, of Wis., in 1872. They have two sons and two daughters.
HYDE, C. L.
Clerk of the courts, was born in Otsego county, N. Y., in 1843; came to Ia. in 1866, and first located at Little Sioux, Harrison county; has been a resident of the county ever since. He was elected to his present office in 1876 on the republican ticket. He enlisted in 1862 in the 20th Wis. Inft.; was discharged after seven months, and then joined the 41st Wis. Inft. He married Mary Russell, and has three sons.
KELLEY, G. T.
Attorney at law, was born in Johnson county, Ill., in 1846; moved to Mills county, Ia., in 1854, and to Harrison county in 1867. He graduated and was admitted to the bar at the Iowa State University, June 10th, 1876, and soon after opened a law office at Logan. He married Maria Allen, in Harrison county, in 1870, and has two children, a son and daughter.
Jeweler and barber, was born Mar. 16th, 1847, in Bavaria, Ger.; came to America in Sept., 1864; learned the barber trade in N. Y. In 1866 he removed to Scranton, Pa., and engaged in the barber business; removed to Dunlap, Ia., in 1869; thence in 1876, to Logan, and engaged in his present business; owns considerable real estate in this city. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., I. O. O. F., and A. F. & A. M. lodges. He married Mary Fisher, in Scranton, Pa. They have one sou and three daughters.
KING, S. I.
Of the firm of King & Cadwell, attorneys at law, was born Sept. 8th, 1848, in Saratoga county, N. Y.; came to Harrison county with his parents in 1852 and located at Six Mile Grove. He is the son of Judge S. King, who was one of the first settlers of this county and one of the commissioners who located the county seat at Magnolia, in 1854. Mr. King removed to Boyer Valley, and was engaged in teaching most of the time, from the age of fifteen until 1867, when he attended the State University of Iowa City. He left in graduating year on account of serious illness. Again engaged in teaching school; in 1870 taught the high school of Magnolia. Then traveled for the wholesale dry goods house of Smith & Crittenden, Council Blufis. He attended the Law School at Des Moines in 1875, graduated and was admitted to the bar in 1876, and opened an office in Logan; at the end of two months he removed to Magnolia and opened an oifice there; came back to Logan in 1879 and formed a partnership with E. P. Cadwell in Nov., 1881. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W. lodges. He is also chairman of the republican central committee. He was married in 1874 to Abbie M. Mark, of Fredonia, N. Y.
LOGAN, Hon. Thomas M. C.
Senator elect of 34th district, was born iu Rush county, Ind., Feb. 13th, 1830; moved to Richland county, Ill., in April 1857; thence to Cedar Rapids, Linn county; and from there to Harrison county. He has been engaged most of his life in farming and dealing in stock. He resides on his fine farm adjoining Logan. He was married Feb. 17th, 1851, to Charlotte Snodgrass, in La Forte, Ind., who died in Jan. 1867, leaving a son and daughter. He afterwards married at Cedar Rapids, Harriet Herbert. They have four sons and three daughters.
LONGMAN, A. Jr.
Proprietor of the Logan Flouring Mills, was born in Derby, Eng., in 1848; came to America with his parents in 1851 and located in Holt county, Mo.; removed to Harris Grove, Harrison county, la., in 1852. The subject of this sketch graduated from Oskaloosa College in 1874. The mill was built in the winter of 1855-6 by Henry Reel, who sold it to Mr. McCoid, of whom Mr. L. purchased it in Sept., 1880, and has established an extensive business. He was married in Wis., to Miss Whitcomb, in 1877, who died leaving one child, a daughter.
LUSK, James A.
Proprietor of the Lusk House and livery and feed stable, established business in 1869. He was born in Morris county, N. Y., in 1824; removed to Mills county, Ia., in 1855; thence to Harrison county in 1863; was engaged in farming until he engaged in the hotel business. He married Minerva Roberts (deceased) in 1846, and afterwards Lydia B. Kelsey. They have four sons and one daughter.
MCCLEARY, Horace C. (M.D.)
Born in Warren county, Ia., in July 1859; received his education at the Simpson Centenary College, at Indianola, Ia., studied medicine in the medical department of the State University, at Iowa City, and graduated in 1881 from Rush Medical College, Chicago. He located in Logan, July 20th, 1881, succeeding Dr. Giddings. Although a new-comer he is already in the possession of a lucrative and increasing practice. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge.
Deputy sheriff, was born in Washington county, Ia., in 1855; came to Harrison county in 1867.
Sheriff, was born in O.; removed to Washington county, Ia.; thence to Harrison county in 1867. He was elected to his present office in 1879. He married Julia A. Lockling, and has three sons and one daughter.
Farmer, was born in London, Ontario, Canada, in Oct., 1833; came to Whiteside county, Ill., with his parents in 1851, where he remained two years; then removed to Walworth county, Wis., where he remained seven years; then came to Harrison county. He has been married three times; his present wife was Sarah Streeter; were married in 1880. He has three sons and three daughters.
REED, J. W.
Dealer in general merchandise, was born in Va. in 1847; moved to Harrison county, Ia., in 1868, and engaged in present business with P. J. Rudisell in 1875; became sole proprietor in 1877. He has been a member of the town council several years. During the war of the rebellion he served in the 43rd West Va. Bat., Mosby's command. He was married in 1874 to Miss Low, of Atchinson county. Mo., who died in 1876, leaving one child, a daughter. He was again married in 1878 to Miss Williams, of Boone county, la. They have two children, daughters.
ROADIFER, H. H.
Of the firm of Evans & Roadifer, attorneys at law, was admitted to the bar in La Salle county. Ill., June 4th, 1875, before the supreme court. He came to Logan in 1878, and engaged in the practice of law with Mr. Evans; has been Mayor of this city one term.
RUDD, J. W.
Farmer in Union tp., was born in 1838, in Va.; moved to Harrison county in 1870 with his father, Wm. T. Rudd, and located at Logan, where they engaged in furniture and undertaking business, which they continued eleven years; then sold to T. J. Buchanan. He was city councilman three years, and is a member of the A. O. U. W., I. O. O. F., and A. F. & A. M. lodges. He married Sarah C. Sprinkel. of Amsterdam, Va., and has two sons, and two daughters.
SEEKEL, Geo. B.
Dealer in lumber, grain and agricultural implements, was born in Taunton, Mass., in Sept., 1823; the most of his younger days were spent in Providence, R. I. In 1856 he moved to Madison, Wis., and engaged in the grain business; went south in 1864 and remained two years, after which he engaged in the lumber trade in Chicago; after two years he went to St. Paul, Minn., having the management and general agency of the Singer sewing machine. In 1871 removed to Logan and engaged in his present business; has been a member of the city council, and president of the school board several years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. F. & A. M. lodges. He was married in Dec, 1847, to Martha M. Williams, of N. Y., and has one daughter.
Dealer in hardware, was born in Rome, N. Y., July I4th, 1853; moved with parents to Clinton, Ia., in 1857, and came to Logan in July, 1878, and engaged in present business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge. He was married Aug. 26th, 1878, to Lena Dodson, of Stanwood, Ia. They have one child, a son.
SMITH, Hon. Joseph H.
Of the firm of Smitli & Clyde, attorneys at law, was born in Beaver County, Pa.; moved to Harrison county, Ia. in 1857, and engaged in the practice of law; formed a partnership with A. W. Clyde in 1879. He enlisted in 1862 in Co. C. 29th la. Inft.; was second lieutenant. He was elected a member of the legislature one term. He married Julia A. Warrick, a native of Pa., and has five sons and one daughter.
County auditor, was born in Chester county, Pa., in 1854; came to Harrison with his parents in 1857; was employed in farming, until he engaged as clerk in auditor's office; was elected to his present office in 1878. He married Laura Mann, of Harrison county in 1880. They have one child, a son.
STERN, J. T.
Farmer, was born in Chester county. Pa., in 1814; moved to Ia. in 1857 and settled on his present farm, in La Grange township, Harrison county, of 200 acres of well improved land, forty acres of it good timber. He was reporter for the Government Signal Service, Washington, D. C, for twenty years. He married Millicent B. Fletcher, of Lincolnshire, Eng., and has two sons and one daughter. His son Almor is county auditor.
Wagon maker, was born in Little Falls, Herkimer county, N. Y., Oct. 31st, 1833; moved to Logan in 1872 and engaged m his present business. He served during the rebellion in the 121st N. Y. Vol.; was in a number of important battles; was wounded Oct. 19th, 1864, and in hospital at Baltimore; was discharged May 16th, 1865. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and G. A. R. orders. He married Margaret M. Clarke, of Herkimer county, N. Y., in July, 1861, and has one child a son.
STOCKER, John W.
Grocer and dealer in corn and stock, was born in Caledonia county, Vt., June 2nd, 1835; moved with parents to Lowell, Mass., in 1843; thence to McHenry county. Ill., in 1854 and engaged in farming; thence to Henry county, Ia., and engaged in setting up woolen mills; thence to Buchanan county in 1857 and engaged in farming one year; then moved to Little Sioux. He enlisted in Co. C, 29th la. Inft.; was in a number of important battles; was regimental quartermaster and commanded his company the last year and a half of his service; was some time in Rio Grande, Tex., and returned home Sept. 2nd, 1865; moved to Woodbine and bought an interest in the woolen mill there; after six months sold out and removed to Magnolia, then the county seat, and was elected clerk of the courts in 1866 and re-elected in 1868. In 1876 he located in Logan and engaged in the stock and grain buying business and added the grocery business in 1879. He is a member of the Masonic, I. O. O. F, and I. O. G. T. orders. He married Susan B. Bonney, in 1862. They have three daughters.
Dealer in grain and farm machinery, was born in Greene county, O., June 20th, 1841, was engaged in farming and stock raising there until 1874, when he came to Des Moines, Ia., and engaged in pork packing and curing with Fayette Meek; removed to Harrison county in Nov., 1876, and engaged in his present business. He owns a well improved farm in Jefferson twp., of 120 acres. He was married June 25th, 1865, to Susan B. Thompson, in Greene county, O. They have four sons and three daughters.
TYLER, E. G.
Land, loan and abstract office, was born in Chittenden county, Vt., Feb. 15th, 1856; in 1866 moved to Hastings, Minn.; thence to Dunlap, Ia., in 1867. He graduated in 1878 from the Iowa Agricultural College, at Ames, Ia. In 1879 he opened the office in Logan. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
Born in Fayette county, O., in 1827; moved with his parents to Noble county, Ind.; thence to Mason county, Ill.; thence to Jefferson twp., Harrison county, Ia., where he now resides. He owns a well improved farm of 650 acres. He makes a specialty of raising fine stock. He has some very fine horses and one thorough-bred stallion which was imported from France at a cost of $2,500. In fact we may say that Mr. Williams has one of the finest stock farms in Western Iowa. He was married in 1849 to Sarah Anderson, of Noble county, Ind. They have three sons and five daughters.
WITT, J. L. (M.D.)
Born March 4th, 1855, in Galesburg, Knox county, Ill. He graduated from the medical department of the State University, at Iowa City in 1878, and located in Logan the same year and engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married in Logan Nov. 30th, 1881, to Millie Vanderhoof.