ALTON, J. W.
Dealer in general groceries, is a native of Ill.; came to Iowa in 1875 and
engaged in farming near Little Sioux, and in 1877 he engaged in his present
business. He enlisted in the war of the rebellion in 1862 in Co. A, 118th
Ill. Vol., and was discharged at the close of the war.
BONNEY, H. H.
Proprietor of hotel and livery stable at Little Sioux, is a native of Pa.;
removed to this place in 1865, and engaged in the grocery business. He
erected the hotel in 1878, which is a first class house in all its
COCHRAN, Colonel A.
Born in Va.; located at Little Sioux in 1854; went to Denver and Central
City, Col., in 1861, and engaged in mining and mercantile business, and
after four years engaged in the land business at Council Bluffs, IA. He
owns large land property near Little Sioux, Harrison county.
COBB, C. E.
Dealer in hardware and lumber, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Iowa in 1856
and engaged in farming, near Little Sioux, Harrison county. In 1874 he
engaged in his present business.
CROASDALE, B. F.
Dealer in general merchandise, was born in Pa. in 1839; moved to Council
Bluffs, Iowa, in 1864, and was employed as salesman in a mercantile house
until 1866, when he came to Little Sioux and engaged in his present
Dealer in furniture, was born near Montreal, Canada, in 1856; came to
Little Sioux, Iowa, in 1879 with but ten cents to start with; is now doing
a good business, and is the owner of considerable fine real estate.
Druggist, was born in Ohio, in 1843, and with his widowed mother, moved to
Harrison county, Iowa, in 1853. He enlisted in 1862, in Co. C, 29th IA.
Inft.; returned to this county at the close of the war, and engaged for a
time in farming, after which he established his present business. He
graduated from the Iowa State Pharmacy in 1880, A. M. Ellis, an older
brother, now engaged in the stock business at this place, is also an old settler
of this county. He enlisted in Co, H, 15th IA,
GARNET, D. M.
Dealer in general merchandise was born in Otsego county, N, Y., in 1811;
moved to Ill. in 1837; thence in 1846 to Council Bluffs: remained there two
years, and then removed to Glenwood, Mills county, of which place he was
one of the proprietors. In 1852 he settled at Magnolia, Harrison county,
and was the first recorder and treasurer of the county. Five years later he
removed to Little Sioux and engaged in his present business.
HOPE, Geo. T.
Of the firm of Hope Bros, photographers and dealers in drugs and furniture,
is a native of Green county, N. Y.; moved to Ill, in 1851, and with his
brother Wm. H., engaged in farming. In 1870 they moved to Little Sioux,
IA., and engaged in the mercantile business. They established their present
business in 1879.
Wine and liquor dealer, is a native of Pottawattamie county, IA.; moved to
Harrison county in 1854 and engaged in farming. In 1874 he went to Idaho
and Montana, where he spent four years; returned and engaged in his present
business at Little Sioux.
LANYON, Thomas J.
Postmaster at Little Sioux, was born in Pa., in 1848; moved with his
parents to Monona county, IA., in 1858; thence to this place in 1865. In
1870 he was appointed postmaster, and about the same time engaged in the
fancy grocery business.
LONG, Mrs. S. J.
Milliner, was born in Ohio, moved to Ill, and in 1864 to Salt Lake City,
where she remained two years, and then settled in Little Sioux, Her
husband, P. R. Long, is a native of N, Y, and is engaged in bridge and
house building at this place.
Banker, stock raiser and dealer in general merchandise, was born in
Scotland in 1840; came to America at the age of seventeen years, located at
Little Sioux, and was in the employ of the mail service at fifteen dollars
per month until 1852, when he removed to Denver, Col, and engaged in the
stock and freight business. Six years later he returned to this place and
engaged in his present business. He owns a fine stock farm of several
hundred acres near town, on which still stands the little old log house
that he arrived at in 1857, a penniless Scotch lad. It was the first
building used for a store in Harrison county.
ODEN, C. W.
Manager of the banking and mercantile business of M. Murray, was born in
Ross county, O., in 1831; moved to IA. in 1858, and platted the town of
Harlan, Shelby county; remained there until 1862, when he enlisted in Co.
C, 29th IA. Vol. He was promoted quarter-master, which office he held until
the close of the war. In 1866 he located at Little Sioux and engaged in
farming; was secretary of the Harrison Co. Agricultural society for
fourteen years; accepted his present position in 1876.
PERKINS, J. L.
Farmer, was born in C, in 1834; moved to Jackson county, IA., in 1844;
thence to Harrison county in 1850, and three years later located at Little
Sioux. He devotes his special attention to the raising of fine varieties of
potatoes. He raised over three hundred kinds in 1876. Bliss & Sons, of
N. Y., offered a premium of one hundred dollars to the one raising the most
potatoes from one pound of seed. Mr. P. raised 1,666-3/4 lbs. from one lb.,
winning the first and also the second premiums. As the offer was open to
the world, therefore Mr. Perkins is universally pronounced the Potato King.
One hundred of his potatoes averaged two pounds apiece
Harness maker, was born in Ill.; moved to IA. in 1868, and located at Sioux
City. In 1874 he removed to Little Sioux and engaged in his present business.
He deals in all kinds of single and double harness, saddles, robes, whips,
STOCKWELL, J. A.
A native of Ind.; moved to IA. in 1855, and settled in Harrison county; was
one of the original proprietors of California Junction. He moved to Little
Sioux in 1877, and engaged in his present business.
WALIACE, Reuben (M.D.)
Born in Mass. in 1812. He began the practice of medicine in 1845, at North
Adams, Mass. In 1849 removed to St. Lawrence county, N. Y., where he
remained until 1857, when he came west. At the close of the war he settled
in Harrison county, and engaged in the practice of his profession.
WHITING, J. S.
Proprietor of billiard parlor, is a native of Mass.; moved to Wis. in 1854;
thence in 1859 to Colorado, where he engaged in mining; from there he went
back to Oregon and Idaho, and then back to Mass., where he remained one
year, and in 1866 came to IA. In 1875 he removed to Salt Lake City, Utah,
and engaged in the bottling business. A year later he settled at Little
Sioux, and engaged in his present business
BUTLER, L. D.
Lumber dealer and fanner, was born in Ky. in 1826; removed to Clay county,
Mo., in 1837 with parents. In 1846 was sent to England as a Mormon
missionary, was gone two years, and in 1849 located at Council Bluffs;
removed to Harrison county in 1853 and engaged in farming. He built the
first grist mill in the county, which he sold to Dally & Clark. He
engaged in the mercantile business in 1856, near the mill; moved the
business to Woodbine in 1867 and was burned out the same year. He engaged
in the lumber business in the spring of 1881. He owns a farm in Lincoln
township of 880 acres, 100 acres in Douglas township and 200 acres in Boyer
township. He has been Postmaster in Harrison county twenty years. He severed
connection with the Mormon church twenty-five years ago. He was married in
1849 at Birmingham, Eng., to Anna Binnall, and has ten children.
COLE, N. L.
Furniture dealer and undertaker, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1841;
came to Harrison county with parents. He enlisted in the 6th IA. Cav.; was
engaged against the Indians in Neb. and Dak.; was injured while building a
fort at Sioux Falls, Dak., Aug. 13th, 1865, and discharged in Oct. of the
same year. He was married in Sept. 1867, to Libbie Irne. He was engaged in
farming until May, 1881; bought furniture stock and building of W.
Canfield. John S. Cole, father of the subject of this sketch, was one of
the first settlers of this county. He was a practicing physician. He was
also a member of the county board five terms. Died Aug. 2nd, 1881.
COLE, Orrin DeWitt
Druggist, was born near Woodbine in 1859. His parents came to this county
in 1856, and engaged in farming. The business was established in 1870,
under firm name of J. S. Cole & Son, his father since retiring from the
CRANE, L. H.
Deputy postmaster and grocer, was born in Rochester, Minn., in April, 1860;
removed with parents to Jeddo, Harrison county, IA., in 1862; the next year
they moved to a farm two miles from Woodbine. He is a graduate of Miller's
Mercantile College, of Keokuk, IA. In 1879 he moved to Woodbine and engaged
in business with his father, who was appointed postmaster in March, 1881.
CROMIE, W. D.
Dealer in general merchandise, clothing and grain; was born June 29th,
1851, in Cecil county, Md.; moved with parents to Harrison county, IA., in
1867. He graduated from Bailey's Commercial College, at Keokuk, IA., in
Feb., 1874. In 1875 located at Woodbine; held the office of postmaster for
six years. He was married in 1877 to Florence Daly, and has one child, a
DALLY, Joseph W.
Of the firm of Dally & Noyes, proprietors of the Woodbine flouring
mills, was born in O. in 1829. He went to Cal. in 1852, and in 1855 settled
in Hamilton county, IA. He removed to Harrison county in 1859, and engaged
in mercantile business at MagnolIA. He built the Woodbine woolen mills near
this place, which he ran six years, and in 1871 built the flouring mills.
He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and A. F. & A. M. orders. In 1855 he
was married to Miss Goodrich, of Indianapolis, Ind., who died in 1865. He
afterwards married Nancy La Ferre, in Harrison county, and has four sons
and six daughters.
FARNSWORTH, J. H.
Farmer, was born in O. in 1834; moved to Council Bluffs, IA., in 1854;
thence to Harrison county the same year and engaged in farming, near
Woodbine. In 1864 he established the Woodbine nursery, which he recently
sold to Pugsley Bros. He was married in 1855 to Olive A. Howorth. They have
Proprietor of Woodbine barber shop and temperance billiard hall, was born
near Council Bluff's, IA., in April, 1855. In 1861 removed with parents to
Raglan Tp., Harrison county, and in Dec., 1881, he bought out the fixtures
of O. Elkins, and keeps a strictly temperance hall, with lunch bar in
HARSHBARGER, H. C.
Dealer in groceries, was born in Spencer county, Ind., in 1840; removed
with parents to Mahaska county, IA., in 1848, and to Harrison county in
1856, locating near present town of Woodbine. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. I,
Neb. Inft.; was in several prominent battles, and in 1865 was discharged
and returned to Harrison county. In 1865, he was elected county auditor,
and county recorder in 1866, and in 1870 engaged in the mercantile
business, which he continued for three years; then engaged in farming for
six years, and in 1881 sold his farm and engaged in his present business.
He still owns 240 acres of good farming land in the county. He was
postmaster of this city three and one-half years, is a member of A. F.
& A. M. order. He was married to Emily Mundy, in 1865, who died in
1870, and in 1872 he was married to Nettie Edgerton.
KIBLER, Sylvester B.
Senior member of the firm of Kibler Bros. & Winter, dealers in general
merchandise, was born in Portage county, O., in 1846; moved to Harrison
county, IA., with parents in 1853. He engaged in present business with his
brother G. H. and in Aug., 1880, they took into the firm Mr. Winter. They
have one of the finest buildings in the county, built in 1878. and carry a
very large and complete stock of goods; are also agents for the Mason &
Hamlin organs and the American sewing machine. S. B. Kibler was married in
1873, to Caroline Ellison.
LATHROP, A. P.
Harness maker, was born in Hastings, Ontario, Canada, in 1849; removed to
Ill. in 1856 and learned his trade at Morrison. He was in business in
Syracuse, Otto county, Neb., two years; moved to Dunlap, IA. in 1874, and
was engaged in business with Mr. Howard of that place, four years, and
removed to Woodbine in 1878. He was marshal of Dunlap two years; is member
of encampment, I. O. O. F., and A. F. & A. M. orders. He was married in
Shelby county, to Flora McGarvey, and has one child.
LUCE, Charles F.
Land, loan, and collecting agent, was born in Wis. in 1860. He graduated
from the Morgan Park Military Academy, in 1877; came to Harrison county,
IA., in same year locating at Woodbine engaging in lumber and grain
business which he continued two years, and then engaged in stock business,
which he still carries on in connection with the agency, which he
established in 1881. Office in the new Boyer Bank building. He is a member
of the I. O. O. F., order. In 1879 and 1880 he was deputy sheriff and
jailor of Woodbine.
MAGDEN, Capt. Wm. M.
Attorney at law, was born in Genesee county, N. Y., in 1818; he removed to
Wayne county, Mich., and engaged in the manufacture of agricultural
implements; afterwards studied law in the office of Morgan & Joslin, at
Elgin, Ill., and with Gen. Baker, at Clinton, IA., two years, and admitted
to the bar in Clinton county, in Dec., 1859, Judge Dillon presiding. He
practiced in that county until 1862 and enlisted in the 26th IA. Inft.,
served three years, and was promoted to captain. He was in a number of
prominent battles and was wounded in the
right arm by a ball, in the right side by a bursting shell, and lost the
ends of two fingers of the left hand. He was discharged in 1864, and
returned to Clinton county; removed to Dunlap, Harrison county, in 1870,
and soon after opened an office at Woodbine. He is a member of the A. F.
& A. M. order. In 1855, he was married to Elizabeth Gates, at Elgin,
Ill., and has ten children.
MANN, John Jr.
Farmer, owns 240 acres in Allen township. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland,
in 1853; came with parents to Woodbine, IA., in 1871. His farm is well
improved, and he makes stock raising his main object, and we may well say,
has one of the finest stock farms in the county. He is a member of the I.
O. O. F. lodge. He was married in April, 1881, to Candace L. Imley, of
MATHEWS, Geo. A.
Of the firm of Mathews & Kling, dealers in lumber, grain and machinery,
was born in Troy, Walworth county, Wis., in 1843. He was for twelve years
engaged in the manufacture of brooms, at Stoughton, Wis. In 1877 he came to
Woodbine, IA., and engaged in present business, with L. M. Kellogg and Mr.
Kling. The former sold his interest in the fall of 1881. Mr. M. was married
in Troy, Wis., in 1867, to Mary E. Kling. They have two sons and one
MENDENHALL, E. P.
Land, loan, tax-paying and insurance agent, was born in Guilford county, N.
C., Oct. 28th, 1826; moved with parents to Miami county, Ind., and in May,
1856, came to Harrison county, IA., and engaged in farming on two hundred
acres, one mile from the present town of Woodbine. He opened present land
office in 1879. He was married in Miami county, Ind., to Mrs. Elizabeth
Hunt, daughter of Captain Rector. They have two children.
Publisher of the Woodbine Twiner, the county official paper, was
born in Kendall, Westmoreland county, Eng., in 1837; came to America with
parents in 1848; and settled in Harrison county, IA., in 1851. He first
began the printing business in St. Louis, afterwards at Council Bluffs, and
then engaged in publishing the Western Star, at Magnolia, it being
Harrison county's first paper; was republican in politics. In 1873 he moved
his office to Logan, where he remained three years; and then sold to Geo.
Ross, of Harlan, Shelby county, to which place
the office was removed. Mr. Musgrave's next venture was at Tekamah, Neb.,
where he published the Nebraska Advocate; finally sold out and
located at Woodbine and established the Twiner, which has a
subscription list of about nine hundred, and an office fitted in
SAMSON, W. C. (M.D.)
Born in Bateman town, Knox county, 0.; removed with parents to Licking
county, O. In 1863 he enlisted in the 76th O. Vet. Vol., was through Gen.
Sherman's campaign, march to the sea, etc., and a large number of the
prominent battles; was discharged in July, 1865; returned to Ohio, and
after visiting home, came to IA., again returning to O. to attend the
Medical College, at Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1875. He then
came to Cedar Rapids, IA., and engaged in the practice of medicine with Dr.
Yarnell, of that city. In the spring
of 1876, removed to Woodbine and is now recognized as one of the leading
physicians in the county. He was married April 4th, 1878, to Laura A.
Pugsley, at Woodbine. They have one child. Dr. S. has been a member of the
city council several years; is a charter member of the I. O. O. F. lodge.
Farmer, was born in Ashtabula county, O., in 1821; removed to Harrison
county, IA., in 1867, and located on present farm, in Boyer township; owns
170 acres of good farming land, well improved, with bearing vineyard of two
hundred vines, and good young orchard. He has been justice of the peace
five years; is a member of the A. F. & A. M. order. He was married in
Ashtabula county, O., to Rosanna Bell, and has four children.
WOOD, Irving C. (M.D.)
Born in 1857, in Franklin county, N. Y., attended the Delaware Institute,
at Franklin, graduating in the literary course in 1875. He attended the
Medical Department, of University, at N. Y. City, also Jefferson Medical
College, at PhiladelphIA. Pa., where he received degree in 1880; the
following spring took a practical course in operative surgery at the
Philadelphia School of Anatomy, and was assistant surgeon at the Pa. hospital
in out-patient surgical department one year. In July, 1881, he located at
Woodbine, IA.: office at Mr. Giddings' drug store. Dr. Wood is already
enjoying a lucrative practice. He is a member of the A. F.& A. M.
VINING, M. M.
Proprietor of Temperance billiard hall, was born in 1860, in Harrison
county, IA. He is a son of Richard Vining, one of the oldest settlers of
the county. He established business in Dec., 1881; keeps for sale
confectionery and cigars, but no intoxicants of any kind.
Architect, contractor, and builder, was born in Pa. in 1836; located in
Harrison county in 1858, settled at Little Sioux and worked at his trade;
in 1862 was elected drainage commissioner, and in the fall of 1863, was
elected recorder and treasurer of county, and at the expiration of the
term, was employed by the railroad company buying rights of way and land
for the company. In 1867 he engaged in mercantile business, at Magnolia,
and sold out in 1870, and engaged in manufacturing woolen goods, and
milling, near Woodbine; sold to Noyes& Adams in 1874, and engaged in
his present business. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. order. He was
married in 1861, at Little Sioux to Effie H. Schoefield, and has one son
and three daughters.