Transcribed by Linda Suarez
The Past and Present of Hardin County Iowa
ed. by William J. Moir. Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Company, 1911.
About 1888, when so many organizations of the Young Men's Christian Association were being instituted in Iowa, one was formed at Eldora, and soon plans were matured by which a building was to be secured. The late J. S. Newcomer donated a valuable lot on the south side of the court house square, and in 1890 a good brick two-story building was erected thereon. Here the society flourished for about a dozen years, but finally went down. The public library, that had no real home at that date, occupied one part of this building and continued so to do until the present brick library was provided, a little to the east, in the same block. The Young Men's Christian Association building was built by subscription largely, and was a good investment at the time, and the society should have been maintained.