Mulberry Center
By Martin E. Nass
Transcribed for the IAGenWeb Project by Janelle Martin, with permission of Martin "Ed" Nass.
Philip H. Morris was born in Wisconsin, went to common school during the
winter months, and worked on the family farm during the spring, summer,
and fall. When he was 19 he joined Capt. Montgomery's company, which was
engaged in border warfare on the Kansas border. This conflict was to
separate the free forces from the slave forces. Morris vigorously
opposed slavery and nearly lost his life several times. After Kansas was
admitted as a free state, he returned to Wisconsin and married Fanny
Whitney in 1863.
The couple moved to Minnesota to farm and later moved to Wright County,
settling near the community of Waterman. Morris served as postmaster of
Waterman. During this time, much of the land was covered with sloughs
and open prairie. Most of the trading was done in Webster City,
especially after the train arrived in 1869. The Morrises decided to move
two miles south to Section 6, Blairsburg Township, Hamilton County. The
1902 Biographical Record of Hamilton County reported that Morris named
the area Phillipsburg and assisted in getting a school built.
Mrs. Morris' granddaughter related later that her grandmother wept for
days after the move because of the barrenness of the prairie and the
lack of trees. To remedy the situation, Mrs. Morris ordered mulberry
trees to be planted all around the farm. Later residents told that at
times the barn could not be seen from the road through the trees. Some
walnut trees were also planted. At this time, the school became known as
the Mulberry School.
Other families moved into the area. Most notably was the J. C. Miller
family, who lived north of the Mulberry Farm. The Morris farm became the
center of social activities including strawberry festivals, quilting
bees, and other socials. These were reported in the Hamilton Freeman
during the 1870's and 1880's. Mrs. Morris continued as postmistress of
Waterman. Her son, Asa, would ride his horse to Waterman, pick up the
mail, and deliver it to Webster City each day. The Freeman reported that
he became lost in a blizzard on one occasion. He gave his horse
free-rein and it carried him back to his home, to the great relief of
his mother.
The Freeman reported that travel in the winter was difficult as snow
would pile up, and often the team would go right over the fences. Mr.
Miller reported that it was common for all settlers in Mulberry Center
to agree to go to Webster City together in the morning and return home
together in the evening, which allowed for one way traffic for the sleds
This was a fine example of pioneer cooperation. Coal was hauled from the
Stockdale mine south of Webster City. The settlers went in pairs taking
two days for the trip. The coal sold for $2 per ton. They went together
to help each other in case of trouble.
A church was organized in 1886 for the many settlers in the area.
Services of the Evangelical United Brethren Church were first held in
the Mulberry schoolhouse. The church had 52 members at the time. The
next year, 1887, a Sunday School was organized. J. C. Miller served as
the first class leader, a post he continued as long as he lived in the
neighborhood. Rev. Ebenezer Church was the first pastor. He was followed
by Will Adams and Byron (Boy) Clark.
The group decided they wanted to build a proper church. There was barely
enough money to pay the minister's salary, so the members realized
building funds would be difficult to find. A building committee was
formed, led by J. C. Miller and Mrs. Morris. Miller donated the acre of
land at the corner of his farm for the church. The committee went
everywhere raising money and came up with $525. Since the major shopping
area was Webster City, they approached most of the merchants. Those
contributing to the church included: J. W. Evans, L. A. McMurray,
Charles Arthur, A. C. Swain, Kamrar & Boeye, J. P. Clagg, H. A.
Crandall, J. D. Hunter, D. D. Chase, R. I. Burleson, S. J. Root, A. J.
Brewer, J. W. Young, Louis Frank, and B. F. Derr.
The March, 1887, issue of the Freeman reported, "The church is still
lacking funds. Anyone with a dollar to spare is requested to contribute
to our new edifice." Using donated labor to dig the foundation, put in
stones, and construct the church, the one-room building without a
basement was erected in 1890 at a cost of $950. At the time of the
dedication, the indebtedness was $231. The church was named the Mulberry
Center Church.
On a hot afternoon in August, 1912, eight girls met in the Mulberry
Center Church to organize a girls' society to help with the church
finances. Some members wanted to name the club the Helping Hand Club;
others wanted the name Willing Workers. The club then voted to call the
club the Mulberry Center Helping Hands Club.
Officers elected at the first meeting were: Nellie Campbell, president.;
Rosy Miller, vice-president.; Bertha Hoffman, secretary; and Nellie
Caquelin, treasurer. The membership fee was 25 cents with a 5-cent
assessment for each meeting. At a later time members paid 10 cents per
meeting, and the initial fee was dropped.
After a time the club became so popular that some ladies wanted to join,
so the club voted to let them become members too. Mrs. Ed Miller and
Mrs. W. C. Camp were the first two to join. Later, other ladies joined.
The club had various projects: gas lights installed in the church,
decorated the church interior, bought new song books, pieced quilts,
tied comforters, and sewed rag rugs. They even unloaded gravel for Ed
Miller and shelled beans for the Campbells. The girls charged 50 cents
for an afternoon's work, but most people gave them a dollar.
To raise more money they held bazaars, oyster suppers, ice cream
socials, and box socials at the homes of members. They put on two plays
at the hall at Prairie Queen, located one mile west of the church. Over
the years, the membership grew to 37 members. In 1962 the club took on
the task of serving meals for the Farm Progress Show.
After 13 years of successful farming, the Morris family moved into
Webster City and lived at the corner of Walnut and Seneca Streets where
he entered into the real estate business. The Miller family bought his
farm and continued to live in the Mulberry Center area.
In 1953, the church was raised up in order to put a basement under it. A
new entryway was also constructed at that time. A restoration of the
chancel area was completed in 1958 with memorial money. The church later
united with the Grace EUB Church in Webster City. The Mulberry Center
Church was moved to Webster City on January 23, 1995. This provides
visitors an opportunity to view a country church of the past, as it
joins the Brewer and Jamison cabins, the Illinois Central Depot, and the
first Hamilton County Courthouse in Wilson Brewer Park (now commonly
called the Bonebright Complex).
A picture of the church on the move into Webster City accompanies this
article.
|