Melrose M. E. Church
by S. B. Sayre
from Atlas of Grundy County, Iowa, 1911, pg 100
Melrose M. E. Church was organized in 1868. Beginning with three members. Rev. Hudson was one of Iowa's pioneer preachers, and was the first to begin here. He organized this class with S. B. Sayre and wife and Merritt Watson as members and we had some gracious meetings in the old school house that stood one mile west of where the Church now stands. After some few months a revival meeting was held with some success. About twenty were converted and united with the church. Meetings were held in the schoolhouse until the year 1880, when the church was built adjoining the cemetery the situated on the southwest quarter of section 21, in Melrose Township.
Many of our numbers are now dead and have gone to join the everlasting throng in glory. Many more have retired from the farm and are worshipping God in other towns. A few are left who are still holding the fort. Rev. Bernard is the present Pastor, Beloved by all his People.