Presbyterian Church at Conrad, Iowa
by Mrs. W. H. McClain
from Atlas of Grundy County, Iowa, 1911, pg 96
The Presbyterian Church of Conrad was organized September 19, 1880, at the school house then standing one-half mile east of the present church site.
The committee for organization consisted of Rev. A. Herron and Elders A. Allison and Miller of Albion and Rev. J. W. Hanna and C. G. Rogers and J. B. Rolston of Grundy Center. At this time, fifteen were enrolled as members. They are as follows: Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Rolston, Misses Alice and Matilda Rolston, Mrs. Maggie Barnes, Mr. and Mrs. T. M. McBirney, Mr. and Mrs. W. Y. Minteer, Mr. and Mrs. M. F. McKibben, Mrs. Ella Mills, Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Hamling and Mrs. Elson. Of these, there are now living Mrs. Barnes of Cedar Falls, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. T. M. McBirney of Boise, Idaho, Mrs. Minteer of Conrad, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. McKibben and Mrs. Mills of Albion, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. Hamling of Omaha, Neb.
The first elders were Mr. McBirney, Mr. McKibben and Mr. Rolston; and trustees were: Mrs. Hamling, Mr. R. Harris and Mr. White. Services were held in the school house until 1882, when a church building was erected, Rev. Dool being minister here at that time.
Revs. H. McMeekin, W. I. Dool, N. C. Green, M. H. Kerr, Jas. Stikel, Anthony, G. A. Blair, W. Asdale, G. F. Burton, J. M. Smith, A. G. Bailey, T. N. Buchanan, C. E. Davenport and A. F. Eldridge have served the church up to the present time.
In 1900 during the pastorate of Rev. Bailey, the church celebrated its twentieth anniversary. The membership at this time was seventy-five with one hundred and thirteen enrolled in the Sabbath School.
Two years later the church building was repaired and re-seated.
The church has been very prosperous; the membership increasing steadily until it was found necessary to enlarge the church building. In 1908 during the pastorate of Rev. Buchanan, the building was rebuilt and improved at an expense of several thousand dollars.
A beautiful and modern church now occupies the site of the old church of 1882.