Washington Township Cemetery
The cemetery was started in 1880. The first burial was Mrs. Hannah Quivey Stivers who died on April 8, 1880. Hers was the first burial even though the cemetery was not platted. In April, 1881, the township trustees purchased three acres from Arscott Thomas and his wife, Nanny, for the purpose of a cemetery. The Thomases retained a double lot in the center of the cemetery. There are graves of people who died earlier than 1880 in the cemetery, but these bodies were removed to this cemetery from the old Grundy Center cemetery, and from the Bly family cemetery, which was located in the orchard of the farm where Hans Syhlman formerly lived.
--Morrison, Iowa, Centennial 1877-1977
Headstone Photos at GPP
WPA Records from the 1930s