This cemetery is located about one quarter mile east of the 4 corners where Buck Grove once stood. Buck Grove was almost completely destroyed by a tornado in 1952. At one time there was a post office, general store, creamery, roller skating rink, school and a dozen or so homes. Buck Grove Baptist Church was built in 1891 in the grove of trees to the south and west of the cemetery. The parsonage stood approximately where the farm (silver grain bins) stands. Rev. Peter J. deNeui farmed the land/farm seen just across the highway. He ministered to the Steamboat Rock Baptist church also. The Rev. deNeui always lived at the farm across from Buck Grove cemetery until he moved to George, Iowa. He would ride horseback or take a horse and buggy (dependent upon the weather) back and forth every Sunday between Buck Grove and Steamboat Rock which is approximately 10 miles one way. If the weather was too bad or if other dangers lurked (the Rainsbarger Renegades) he would stop halfway and stay overnight. His brother Johannes owned a farm halfway between the two churches and that is where he would stay. Pastor Peter J. deNeui moved in the early 1890’s to George, Iowa, in Lyon County. He died there in 1907. The Buck Grove Baptist Church disbanded in 1925 and it was torn down in the following years due to disrepair. The cemetery has about 75 interments, however there are very few grave stones---mostly destroyed by vandals. The first interments were in 1885 with 3 new graves. Some of the graves are marked by plants such as tiger lilies.
Written and contributed by Jean Sietsema