IAGenWeb.org Iowa in the Great War


James H. Stebbins


JAMES H. STEBBINS is proprietor of a leading plumbing business of Waterloo, located at 623 Jefferson Street. Mr. Stebbins is a native Iowan, and was with the colors during the World war.

He was born on a farm in Scott County, Iowa, son of Harry H. Stebbins and grandson of Henry Stebbins. His grandfather was an athlete and for several years was member of the traveling circus. He was also an expert marksman and very found of outdoor sports. He died when seventy-five years of age. Harry H. Stebbins was left an orphan and from boyhood was self supporting. He worked on a farm while attending rural schools, later for several years was an employee of the Great Western Railway Company, and subsequently a mechanic in the lumber mill at Oelwein, Iowa. He married Nora Rathbun, who was born in Wisconsin, and they reared a family of three sons and three daughters: Stella, James H., Julia, Verne, Myrl and Garald.

James H. Stebbins was educated in a rural school in Iowa. At an early age he became interested in music and for some time was engaged as a harpist in orchestra work. After his marriage he exchanged his musical work for an apprenticeship at the plumber's trade, and was in the midst of this work when he enlisted, December 12, 1918, for service in the World war. He was stationed at Jefferson Barracks, Saint Louis, and at Fort Riley, Kansas, until taken ill, and was then sent to Prescott, Arizona, and given an honorable discharge December 14, 1919.

On returning home he engaged in the plumbing trade at Waterloo and was appointed and served four years as plumbing inspector for the city. Since leaving this office he has carried on a plumbing business of his own.

Mr. Stebbins married, May 8, 1912, Miss Francile M. Dye, who was born in Fayette County, Iowa. A separate sketch of Mrs. Stebbins' career is included immediately following.

~ source: A Narrative History of The People of Iowa, Edgar Rubey Harlan, LL. B., A. M., Chicago and New York, 1931

~ transcribed and contributed by:  Debbie  Clough Gerischer, Iowa History Project