Transcribe and submitted by Cay Merryman

Proctor, Ben, died 9 March 1904 at the home of his brother-in-law, Henry Beedle, NW of Sidney.  His death was a great surprise to his friends as he was in town Tuesday apparently in his usual health.  He was subject to epilepsy and it was from this disease he died  (18 Mar 1904 Tabor Beacon)
Lee, John, a prominent citizen of Imogene, died at his home there 10 Mar 1904 and so found relief from intense suffering from rheumatism with which he has been afflicted for a number of years.  For the past year it has confined him to his home and bed.  He was about 70 years old, and one of the earliest settlers in Monroe Township.  The funeral was held Saturday at St. Patrick's Catholic church in Imogene.  (18 Mar 1904  Beacon)
Duncan, Robert, died very suddenly and unexpectedly Friday March 18th 1904 at the home of his son, James, in Tabor, with whom he had made his home since last September.  Although suffering from the infirmities of old age, being nearly 86 years old, he seemed to be in his usual health and was talking with Mrs. Duncan when stricken, death being caused by heart failure. Robert Duncan was born 22 Apr 1818 in Greenfield, Highland County, Ohio.  He was united in marriage to Mary Hunter Murray in 1843.  To this union 12 children were born, seven of whom are living.  With his family he moved to Fremont County in October 1854, locating a home about half way between Tabor and Sidney.  Here he lived continuously until 1880, two years after the death of his wife.  Since then he has made his home with his children.  Mr. Duncan united with the Presbyterian church at Sidney in 1870, with which church he held membership until his death.  He leaves 7 grown children and 23 grandchildren to mourn his death.  The children are: James, Tabor; Wm. M., Denver CO; Mrs. H. Reel, Boise, ID; John, Sidney; Mrs. Eli Reeves, Tabor; Mrs. B.E. Bayes, Malvern; and Curtis, Tabor.  Funeral services were held at the home of his son, James, Sunday 20 March, conducted by Rev. Dickinson, pastor of the Sidney Presbyterian churchd.  The remains were then taken to Thurman cemetery for interment beside those of his wife and two daughters.  The pallbearers were H. E. Fugitt,  W. H. Morris,  B. E. Bayes,  Curtis Duncan,  John Duncan and James Duncan.  Among those from out of town who attended the funeral of Robert Duncan last Sunday were: Mr. and Mrs. E. Hutchison, Anderson; Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Morris, Malvern; Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Fugitt, Thurman; Elmer Holloway and Joe Irwin from near Sidney; Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Bayes, Malvern.  (25 Mar 1904  Beacon)
Thompson, Mrs. Ruth (Brown).  Some of the residents in and about Tabor who personally knew that radical old abolitionist will be interested in the death of one of Old John Brown's daughters out in California.  A press dispatch says:  A historical incident is recalled by the death at Pasadena of Ruth Brown Thompson, daughter of John Brown of Harper's Ferry.  Mrs. Thompson was 76 and died at her little vine-clad cottage, on the Arroyo Seco drive 15 January 1904.  At her funeral were five children of the Harper's Ferry hero, numerous descendants of his, and persons of historical fame.  All but one of the children of Brown live in California.  John Brown Jr. lives in Oregon.  Jason lives at Santa Cruz.  In that vicinity live three daughters, Mrs. Helen Fabinger, Sarah Brown and Mrs. Annie Adams  (25 Mar 1904  Beacon)
Stevens, E. S., a prominent farmer who has lived in the country near Sidney for a number of years, dropped dead at the Burlington depot Wednesday of last week.  He had just bought a ticket for Malvern and was ready to take the train when he fell over on his face and expired before anyone could reach him.  (8 Apr 1904  Beacon)
Knox, Austin, an inmate of the Fremont County Farm, died Wednesday night of last week, of dropsy of the heart.  He was about 75 years old and had been at the county farm for 8 years.  Austin Knox is the last of the Knox family.  He and his brother, James came to Fremont county from Indiana with their father in 1850 and located on what is now the Birkby farm.  The father died and left 160 acres of land to the two boys.  Through bad luck, they lost the land and were without a home.  The town of Knox was named after this family.  James was the first postmaster at Knox. (Austin d. 11 May 1904, age 75 years) (20 May 1904  Beacon)
Wilson, Mrs. Elvira, who has been a resident of Tabor for 44 years, died Wednesday from natural decline.  Funeral services will be held Friday at her late home at 1:30 o'clock PM and at the Baptist church at 2:00, after which interment will be made in Tabor cemetery.  Elvira Clisby was born at Painsville OH  2 Nov 1819, was united in marriage in 1839 to Wm. Wilson at Cleveland OH and came to Iowa in 1868.  To this union five children were born; three of whom are living: Charles of Elyira OH; Mrs. Phelps of Hillsdale IA, and Louis of Tarkio MO.  The deceased has been a resident of Tabor since the death of her husband 44 years ago.  (27 May 1904 Beacon)
Sturgeon, Joe.  Word has been received here that Joe Sturgeon of Seattle WA died last week.  He was a former well-known resident of Sidney.  (27 May 1904  Beacon)
Simons, Rev. A. E., died at his home in Hamburg Saturday night.  Sometime ago he was stricken with paralysis and never fully recovered.  The past week or so he has been very low.  He was buried in the Hamburg cemetery Monday afternoon  (3 Jun 1904  Beacon)
Sullivan, Eugene, formerly and for a long time a resident of Fremont County near Imogene, died 26 May 1904 in Wayne NE.  The remains were brought to Imogene for interment.  His wife, formerly Miss Mary Harrigan, survives him, as does also an adopted daughter. (3 Jun 1904 Beacon)
Foster, Joseph Benjamin died at his home in Prairie township, Sunday morning at five o'clock.  He has been sick for sometime.  He was born in the state of KY  14 Feb 1830, and was united in marriage to Mary E. Nichols, 9 Jan 1851.  To this union nine children were born, five boys and four girls, seven of whom are now living.  In 1853 he moved to Iowa from KY and in 1863 he enlisted in Co. A, 33rd Iowa Infantry and served to the close of the war.  He moved to CO in 1874, remaining there until 1884 when he returned to Iowa and located in Fremont county which has been his home since.  Deceased was a member of the Joe Ross Post number 209, GAR of Sidney.  A number of his comrades attended the funeral in a body and the pallbearers were the sons of veterans.  Burial took place in the Sidney cemetery.  (1 Jul 1904  Beacon)
Burt, M. D.  Uncle Job Throckmorton received a telegram Friday evening from Brighton CO to the effect that M. D. Burt had died suddenly of heart disease.  Mr. Burt was a brother of Mrs. Job Throckmorton, and was raised in Sidney and is well known to all the old settlers of our town.  He married Louise Webster.  They have lived at Brighton for several years.  He is 61 years of age. The burial took place at his home.  (15 Jul 1904  Beacon)
Judd, Ethel, the 17 year old daughter of J. L. Judd and wife, who live south of Thurman on the Knox road, died of consumption Monday morning at 4 o'clock.  She had been sick about a year and was confined to her bed six weeks.  The funeral was held Tuesday at the home, conducted by F. M. Estes, and interment took place in the Parsley cemetery, north of Sidney (5 Aug 1904  Beacon)
Bell, Mrs. Nancy died Sunday at 2 o'clock AM at her home in Hamburg of consumption, aged about 60 years.  The Bell family came to Hamburg about eighteen years ago and since that time the father, mother and two daughters have departed this life, all being victims of that dreaded disease, consumption.  The funeral was held Monday at the Christian Church, conducted by Elder B. F. Hall, and interment in the Hamburg Cemetery  (5 Aug 1904 Beacon)
Shepardson, Joseph, aged about 80 years, a pioneer citizen of Tabor, died Wednesday night at his home in the south part of town.  The funeral was held Friday afternoon, services being held at the Baptist Church and interment was made in Tabor Cemetery. (12 Aug 1904 Beacon)
Goode, John T., a pioneer citizen and prominent business man of Sidney, died Saturday, 17 September 1904, after an illness of one week.  The cause of his death was erysipelas, which was first noticed the Saturday before his death.  Although suffering greatly, Mr. Goode was able to be at his store until Wednesday when he was compelled to remain in his room and had the assistance of a doctor.  He continued to grow worse, the disease spreading over his face and eyes, and finally went to the brain.  John Thompson Goode was born in London, England, 29 April 1845, and died 17 September 1904 at 8:30 o'clock.  He came to America in 1852 and located in Gage county OH.  He enlisted 16 Aug 1862 in Company B of the 41st OH volunteer infantry  He was wounded in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, in the right hand and also in the right arm.  He was disabled and discharged 13 Feb 1865.  He came to Tabor in the fall of 1867, and for a time was a student in Tabor College.  He came to Sidney to enter business about 1878, and was a member of the firm of Spratlen & Goode in the grocery business.  Later he was in the hardware business under the firm name of Gray and Goode, and in 1887 he formed a partnership with C. J. Esden, and the firm of Goode and Esden has been doing business for seventeen years.  He married Carrie
Isadore Spratlen 15 Oct 1878, and to this union one son was born, Harry Spratlen Goode.  The funeral was held Monday afternoon 19 September from the house of E. B. Spratlen where Mr. Goode was during his sickness.  The services were held out on the porch and the lawn was crowded with relatives and friends. Rev. Geo. Yule read the scripture lesson and Mr. William Eaton read the obituary and spoke briefly concerning his true friend.  The Odd Fellows lodge and the Joe Ross Post had charge of the services at the grave.  They marched in a body from the hall to the house and from there to the cemetery where the ritualistic rites of the organizations were carried out.  The pallbearers were William Eaton, C. J. Esden, J. R. McKee, W. F. Hendrickson, James Wright and H. E. Hawley.   Harry is the only one of the family that remains, Mrs. Goode having died about two years ago.  The brothers who were at the funeral are: E. T., William, Frank, Joe and Charley.  They all live in and around Tabor.  Their families were here also.  Mrs. F. S. Jones and Mrs. John Weatherhead, of Tabor; and Mrs. Graves of Omaha, were the sisters present.  His mother and sisters, Mrs. G. Tracy of Elkhart, IN and Flora Thornton of Westerville, NE could not be here  (23 Sep 1904 Beacon)
Among the Tabor people who attended the funeral of the late John T. Goode at Sidney Monday were: A. S. Bloedel, John Omer, Mr. Wm. Goy, Geo. Thompson, F. S. Jones and wife, Frank, Arthur, George, Fred, Ray Sarah and Anna Weatherhead, Elwin Jones and wife, Tom Goode, Darius Irwin and wife.  (23 Sep 1904 Beacon)
Andres, Rev;. A. J., death occurred Friday 7 Oct 1904 at his home in Tabor, due to the infirmities of old age.  The funeral was held Monday at his late residence, being in charge of Rev. Peter Jacobs, pastor of the Methodist church, who was assisted by Rev. J. W. Ferner of the Congregational Church.  Alva John Andres was born in the city of Troy, NY on 29 Sep 1829.  In 1853 he married Mrs. Amanda Von Pitt Carrol, of Poples IL.  In 1865 he removed to Iowa and bought land near Sidney.  In 1890 he married Amelia Bishop - the wife of his youth having died in the interim.  He leaves wife and four children, Alice Ames of Madison WI; Anna Crooks of Burlington Junction MO; Stephen Andres of Chariton IA and Dr. Gertrude Batcheller, who has charge of the medical work for women in the Wiley memorial hospital, of which her husband is superintendent, at Kucheng, China  (14 Oct 1904 Beacon)
Lacy, J. D.  Monday night, J. D. Lacy, one of the oldest pioneers in this part of Iowa passed away.  Few people in Fremont county do not remember "Uncle Jep".  He came to Sidney township in the early fifties and has lived here ever since.  At one time, he owned a good farm near Sidney, was in business in Sidney for some time, and his biography would be a history of our township.  He built the brick M. E. church which was removed 2 years ago, ;and his name may be seen on a window of the new structure which took its place.  One more of the pioneers who helped to make this county what it is, is gone.  We will miss "Uncle Jep Lacy" and his tales of the frontier.  (23 Dec 1904  Beacon)
Warren, Mrs. Marie, formerly of Hamburg, died at the county farm on Christmas night.  The deceased was 77 years of age and owned property in Hamburg valued at about $400.  In order that she might be better cared for, she came to the county farm about a year ago, deeding the property to the county to be sold at her death to defray cost of her keeping and funeral expenses.  (30 Dec 1904  Beacon)
back to Fremont County