Abandoned Towns of Fremont County
Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices of Iowa, reprinted from "The Annals of Iowa", Vols. XVII & XVIII 1930-1932, by D. C. Mott

Contributed by Gail Harper

 
The following list of communities are no longer in existence, either because they were abandoned or they were absorbed into other townships. 
 

ABANDONED TOWNS

Austin.  In the northeastern part of Washington Township, on the west bank of the Nishnaboyna River. Post Office, 1853-1859

Buchanan. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as as a post office in Fremont County from 1859 to 1861, but not found on the maps of that period.

Civil Bend. A settlement made in 1859 in the western part of Benton Township, near the present village of Percival, on the Missouri River bottoms.

Cora. In the north central part of Walnut Township. Post Office 1855 to 1867.

Dawsonburg. Near the central part of Greene Township. Post office 1851 to 1857.
Deer Creek. On the west line of section15, Riverside Township. Post Office, 1871 to 1875.
Eastfort. A village on the east bank of the Missouri River, opposite Nebraska City, Nebraska. Laid out in 1870. Post Office, 1867 to 1889.
Farmer City. In the southwest corner of Monroe Township. Laid out in 1876. Post office 1878 to 1897.
Fremont City. The same as the present town of Thurman. It began as Fremont City in 1856, and later for some years was called Plum Hollow, The post office being designated Plum Hollow from 1857 to 1885.
 

ABANDONED TOWNS cont.

Gaston. The former name of the present village of Percival. Gaston was a post office from 1853 to 1869.
High Creek. In section 30, Locust Township. Post office, 1871 to 1900.
Knox. A country post office from 1881 to 1903, located about four miles southwest of Sidney.
Lawrence. A post office in 1871 in the extreme northwest corner of Fisher Township.
McKissick's Grove. In the southwest part of Madison Township. Post Office, 1851 to 1869.
Manti. On the line of Fisher and Walnut Township, and about two miles west of the Page County line. Post office 1855 to 1873.
Nunda.  Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1885 as a post office in Fremont County, but not found on maps of that date.
Osage. In the northwestern part of Scott Township. Post office, 1851 to 1859.
Plum Hollow. The same as the present town of Thurman. It began as Fremont City in 1856, and later for some years was called Plum Hollow, The post office being designated Plum Hollow from 1857 to 1885.
Vaughn. In section 7 on the north side of Walnut Creek, Walnut Township. Post off ice, 1873 to 1875.
Walnut Creek. Listed in the U. S. Offical Register of 1871 as a post office in Fremont County, but not found on maps of that period.

back to Fremont County      back to Map Centre