Fremont County, Iowa
Earliest Known Map
Mills and Fremont County - 1854
The map shown below was found in the archives of the Fremont County Historical Society by Harry Wilkins.
It is believed to be one of earliest known maps of Fremont and Mills Counties.
This map was drawn by Rev. John Todd in 1854. John Todd, and George Gaston, left Ohio in 1847 and arrived
in the Civil Bend (now Percival) area Oct 1848. There they established a church, and school, but when the
Missouri river flooded the area in 1851, they decided to move to higher ground settling the area now known as Tabor.
They constructed what became known as the 'Todd House' and later Tabor College. Besides being some of the
earliest settlers in the area they were abolitionists who supported the 'underground railroad' and assisted
John Brown in moving slaves to freedom.
Source: Provided by Sandra Bengtson
added by Bob Jenkins
Return to Fremont County Home
Page updated on January 22, 2018 by Karyn Techau
Copyright © IAGenWeb 2017 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Pleaseread the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the complete Mills co. IAGenWeb website. ~