Fremont County, Iowa


Sidney Beginnings

Fremont County, Iowa
Sidney Established

The present county seat was selected May 10, 1851. Dr. Wm. Dewey was appointed by the commissioners to plat the town site, which with the assistance of Henry Way, was finished May 27, 1851, and the sale of lots took place June 30, 1851, the first lot being sold to Stephen Cromwell.

Sidney was laid out in 1851, and was originally to be named Dayton. The land for the Town of Sidney was purchased from Milton and Jane Richards in 1851. The survyeors were boarding with the Richards family. Richards wife suggested they rename the city for her hometown of Sidney, Ohio. The town was platted and modeled on the lines of the Ohio town.


Milton & Jane (Jackson) Richards
(photo by permission of Fremont County, Iowa Genealogy Research

Milton Richards was the first Fremont County Clerk of Court, serving from 1849-1853. The Richards are also noted for organizing the Sidney Church of Christ.


Return to Fremont County Home

Page updated on April 20, 2017 by Karyn Techau

Copyright IAGenWeb 2017 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Pleaseread the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the complete Mills co. IAGenWeb website. ~