|Fremont County, Iowa
Liberty Baptist Church
(South of Thurman, near the Grandview Cemetery)
Liberty Church was organized on June 27, 1857, at the home of Brother John Pugh. Elder Thomas Jenkins was chosen moderator and J. A. Hodges clerk. The charter members were John Pugh, Sarah Pugh, George Hume, Mary Hume, John Baldwin, Luvisa Baldwin, James A. Hodges, Nancy Hodges, John Baylor, Joseph Kelly, Mary Kelly, Margaret Hindman, Elvira Jane Wilson, and Matilda Jenkins.
The church met in the private homes of its members until 1871 when a new meeting house was constructed three miles north of Knox.
In 1922, the church purchased the Methodist church building at Knox, built in 1896, about four miles east of Percival, or five miles west of Sidney (turn left off of Highway 2 at the Bluff Road and go north about five miles to the site of the church).
Elder Thomas Jenkins was the first pastor, and served for many years. Pastors after 1900 included the following: Elders J. W. Syester, W. J. Pollard, John Q. Jones, Morte H. Craig, Roy Barnes, R. M. Willett, and Cecil Judd. Elder C. L. Crouse was a member here, and was ordained by this church.
Liberty Church was an active member of the Missouri Valley Association from 1877 to 1959. The highest membership reported was 66 members in 1909. The last minutes in the church record books are dated August 1959.
Source: The Primitive Baptist Library, 416 Main Street, Carthage, IL 62321; Submitted by Hal Hatcher
Surnames of Members: