Fremont County, Iowa
Source: History of Fremont County, Iowa
(Des Moines: Iowa History Co., 1881)
Transcribed by Cay Merryman
BROWN, Henry, banker, P. O. Sidney; born June 22, 1812, in Hamilton county, Ohio. When he was fifteen years old he moved with his parents to Marion county, Indiana. In 1834 moved to Will county, Illinois. Six years later he engaged in the mercantile business in Wilmington, Illinois. In 1840 Mr. Brown became a resident of Missouri, remaining in that state until 1855, when he came to Sidney. In 1865 he turned his attention to mercantile business, which he followed until 1870. Until 1874 he was engaged in no business pursuits whatever, but in that year he formed his present business partnership. Both Mr. Brown and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He was married to Miss Melinda Cox, of Wilmington, Illinois, July 7, 1857. This wife died March 18, 1870. He was married to Miss Mary Cosend, of Sidney, April 4, 1871.
- BOWEN, Captain Henry, merchant, P. O. Sidney; born May 25, 1834, in Frankstown, Pennsylvania. In his infancy he moved with his parents to St. Clair, Schuylkill county, same state, where he grew up to manhood, received his education, and learned his trade - that of carpentry. Came to Fremont county in 1858. In 1861 was elected sheriff, but after serving his county for nearly eight months resigned his position to enter the service of his country. His first step was to assist in raising a company of troops, of which, at its completion, he was elected captain. This company was known as company E, 29th Iowa, and was the first full one raised in this county. Captain Bowen's health was endangered in an expedition up the White river in 1862, from which he never completely recovered during his stay with his regiment. He was discharged November 1, 1863, on account of disability. Returning home he at once entered the state recruiting service, continuing to perform its duties until 1864. Until 1873 he was engaged as clerk in several business firms in Sidney, but in that year commenced his present occupation, and in his own name. In 1872 he was elected county supervisor on the Greeley ticket. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the A.O.U.W.
- BRYANT, Holly E., barber, P. O. Sidney; born April 8, 1851, in Ogle county, Illinois. When four years of age moved with his parents to Johnson county, Missouri. After changing his residence several times, he came to Sidney in 1871, and learned his present trade. In 1873 he again removed to Nebraska, to return again in the following year. In August, 1880, he formed his present business partnership. He was married June 29, 1879, to Miss Mary Hallam, of Glenrock, Nebraska.
- BOBBITT, A. R., farmer, section 31, P. O. Sidney; was born in Campbell county, Kentucky, December 9, 1832, but moved with his parents in 1833, to Marion county, Indiana, where he remained until seventeen years of age. In 1849, he came to Fremont county and located on the farm now owned by him in 1854. He was married to Miss Sarah E. Pugh, a native of Ohio, June 21, 1855. They have had ten children: Orren (born Mrch 19, 1865), Emma (born February 7, 1858), Emmet (born March 22, 1860), Clay (born June 28, 1862), Jane (born February 13, 1865), Frank (born November 25, 1866), Rich (born April 24, 1869), Ellona, Alma and Albie (born March 24, 1872). Albia, deceased. Received his education in the common schools, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Owns a fine farm, well watered and under good cultivation.
- BAYLOR, Isaac W., farmer, section 36, P. O. Sidney; born in Marion county, Indiana, February 27, 1831, where he remained until 1851, when he came to Fremont county, Iowa. He remained but a year, and then returned to Indiana to remain until 1855. In the last named year he returned to Iowa, his father having died in the meantime. Mr. Baylor was married in 1852, to Miss Dorothy Swails, who died in 1865, leaving four children, two of whom died within two weeks after. In November 13, 1866, he was married to Anna E. Keller, a native of Pennsylvania. He has six children: Jasper D., Charles F., John W., Barbara E., Minnie M., and Joseph C. Mr. Baylor has been township trustee and school director and treasurer. He is a member of Nishnabotany lodge No. 153 F. and A. M., and a Royal Arch Mason. His father was one of the soldiers of the war of 1812, and was taken prisoner by the Indians at Dudley's defeat on the river Raisin. Under an arrangement made by the officials for the exchange of prisoners for property of various kinds, his father was exchanged for a horse. The father of Mr. Baylor held the office of justice of the peace for eight successive years; he was born in 1792, and died in 1854.
- BURT, John L., farmer, section 11, Sidney township, P. O. Sidney; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, November 9, 1829. In 1846 he removed to Athens county, Ohio, where he remained until March, 1861, when he became a resident of this county. By trade he is a house carpenter. He has been married three times. His first wife was Miss Jane Reeves, to whom he was married April 6, 1854 - died August 7, 1859. By this wife he has two children: William A. and Sarah J. He was married to his second wife, Elizabeth Gray, in December, 1859 - died April 9, 1868, having been, by him, the mother of two children: Hudson H. and Granville C. He was married to Miss Catherine Irwin, September 18, 1868, and by her has three children: Clarence W., Della F., and John F. The farm of Mr. Burt contains 166 acres; fourteen of which are timber.
- BRINEY, Peter S., section 18, P. O. Anderson: born in Dark county, Ohio, April 1, 1824. In 1831 removed to Fountain county, Indiana, where he remained until 1853, when he became a resident of Warren county, same state. Came to Fremont county in the fall of 1870, and located on the farm which he now occupies. He was married to Eliza Meek, of Indiana, in 1850, who died in 1853. In 1857, January 8, he was married to his present wife, by whom he has five children: Peter L., Eliza E., Jesse H., Frank W., and Clarence E. By a former wife he had two children: Richard B. and Isabella. Mr. Briney is a son of Mark Briney, a soldier of the war of 1812, born in 1791, died 1862. His farm contains 230 acres, and on a portion of his land in section 7, the town of Anderson is situated. Through his instrumentality and liberal giving the depot was secured to the citizens of that village.
- BIRKLEY, John, farmer, section 15, P. O. Sidney; born in Macoupin county, Illinois, September 27, 1842. Remained there until twenty two years of age. Was married March 29, 1864, to Miss Mary M. Yowell, by whom he has five children living. Farm contains 93 acres, all well improved.
- BURT, Silas, farmer, section 11, P. O. Sidney; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, October 9, 1831. In 1846 moved to Athens county, Ohio, remaining there until the spring of 1856 when he came to Fremont county, Iowa. Was married October 10, 1850, to Miss Nancy Daius, of Athens county, Ohio. He has a family of four children - two of whom are married: Mary Jane, wife to J. W. Sanders; Sarah Frances, wife to R. B. Briney; Denia and Ocel. He is a member of the A.O.U.W.
- CHAMBERS, Ezekiel, retired farmer, P. O. Sidney; born June 4, 1801 in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania. Moved in infancy, with his parents, to Ontario county, New York, from which place they moved to Lewis county, Kentucky, when young Chambers was about fifteen years of age, where he remained until grown to manhood. In the fall of 1836, he moved to Warren county, Illinois, where he remained, being engaged in farming, until the fall of 1856, when he moved to Fremont county, Iowa. He located on a farm in Prairie township, remaining until the spring of 1857, when he rented out his farm and entered upon the milling business. The mill was brought here by Mr. Chambers. While he was absent on the trip to purchase it, his wife was burned so severely as to cause her death in a few weeks. This mill supplied much of the timber used in the county until 1860, when it was burned to the ground. In 1868, he came to Sidney and purchased a residence, still retaining his farm, which he rented out. Mr. Chambers was married twice; his first wife was a native of Kentucky, to whom he was married June 5, 1822. By her he had eleven children, six of whom are now living: Rebecca, George, Harlow, Clarissa, Caroline and William.
This wife died May 31, 1857. In December, 1857, he married Miss Polly Radican, of Warren county, Illinois.
- CHORN, Abram B., farmer, section 10, P. O. Eastport; a son of James K. and Sarah Chorn of Kentucky, who was of Irish origin. He was born October 29, 1849, in Clay county, Missouri. His youth was passed in the usual manner of farmer boys. when seventeen years of age, in 1866, he came to this county with his parents. He was married in 1874, to Miss Mary Ellidge, a native of Illinois, by whom he has four children: Fernando C., Orrin M., Sarah L. and Elmer.
- COWELS, Giles, merchant, P. O. Sidney; born September 25, 1858, in Gallia county, Ohio. He received his education in the common schools of his native state, and at Gallipolis Academy, Ohio. In the fall of 1852 he moved to Fremont county, Iowa, locating on a farm at McKissick's Grove - the one now owned by John Black. He superintended his farm and taught school for seven years, and in 1858 was elected superintendent of schools, which office he held for four years. In 1865 he was elected county treasurer, when he moved to Sidney. He served the county as treasurer for two terms - four years in all. He remained in the treasurer's office the major part of the time until the spring of 1875, being engaged in the land agency business, and assisting the treasurer. He then engaged in the mercantile business, which he still follows. In connection with his business he manages over 1200 acres of land. His connection with certain affairs in the history of the county may be gleaned from another page. He was married August 23, 1848, to Miss Lyda Dorener, a native of Ohio. They have four children living: Perry G., born March 28, 1852; Annie, born March 21, 1855; Wesley R., born December 5, 1857, and Sarah, born July 15, 1860.
- CHANDLER, Samuel, sheriff of Fremont county, P. O. Sidney; born June 17, 1841, in Vermillion county, Indiana. When fifteen years of age he moved with his parents to Terre Haute, Indiana, where he was engaged as clerk in the city post-office. When twenty-one years of age he became deputy clerk of the United States court, at Indianapolis, occupying and acceptably filling that position for several years. In 1867 he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, being employed by the Adams Express company, with which he remained until 1869, when he came to Fremont county, and located at Hamburg. He engaged in the lumber business until 1878, when he assumed the management of his farm in Fisher township. In the fall of 1879 he was elected sheriff of the county, and removing to Sidney, the county seat, entered upon the duties of his office in January 1880. His official acts have been marked by prompt decisive action, and his official life, thus far, one of sterling integrity. Mr. Chandler married Miss Jennie Page, of Indianapolis, December 10, 1862, by whom he has one child living. His wife dying January 11, 1875, he married Miss Helen Nervi, a native of Kentucky, November 25, 1877.
- CRABBS, Frederick, P. O. Sidney, joint proprietor Cromwell House; born July 9, 1837, in Carroll county, Maryland. He there grew to manhood, employing his time in farming. Mr. Crabbs came to Cedar county, Iowa, in the year 1868, where he remained until 1872, when he came to Sidney. From the time he came to Iowa until 1874, he followed the occupation of a farmer. In 1875, formed his present partnership with Mr. Scyoc, and entered at once upon the conduct of the Cromwell House. January 17, 1869, he married Miss Margaret E. Scyoc, the daughter of his business partner, by whom he has two children: Frederick and John.
- CHAMBERS, Harlow C., farmer and lumberer, P. O. Sidney; born October 18, 1829, in Lewis county, Kentucky. Moved to Illinois with his parents when he was about seven years of age.
Came to Fremont county in 1856. Came to Sidney in 1880, having previously followed farming and lumbering until that time. some years of his life was spent on the plains, in business and hunting.
He was married in December, 1857, to Miss Mary E. Ripley, by whom he has six children: Mary E., Elizabeth E., Adaline, William H., Samuel and Pemina.
- CANTWELL, William B., livery, feed, and sale stable, P. O. Sidney; born March 12, 1837, in Delaware county, Indiana, where he resided until he attained his majority. In 1857,
he came to Fremont county, Iowa, and engaged in farming. In the following year he started for the plains, remaining on the plains and in the mountains until 1869, when he returned to
Indiana, to leave that state for Texas in 1870. Came again to Sidney in 1871. Mr. Cantwell is a member of the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W.
- COPELAND, Hugh W., farmer, section 7, P. O. Sidney; born in Putnam county, Indiana, March 10, 1831, where he resided until 1836, when he removed with his parents to Illinois, and thence to Missouri in the following year. In 1851, he came to Fremont county, and in the following year went to Wapello county. Here he was married, December 1, 1853, to Miss Sarah C. Turberille, by whom he has three children living: James H., Walter R. and Carrie H.; and two deceased. In 1855 he returned to Fremont county, and has since resided here. He enlisted August 15, 1862, in company E, twenty-ninth Iowa, and in August of the following year, on account of disability, was transferred to the veteran corps, and ordered to Indianapolis, where he remained until mustered out. He was one of the lay delegates to the M. E. Conference at Des Moines, in 1879, of which church both he and his wife are members.
- CHESNEY, A. M., farmer, section 26, P. O. Plum Hollow; born October 16, 1846, in Abingdon, Knox county, Illinois, receiving his education in the city schools, and at Hedding College. Enlisted in company B, Eighty-ninth Illinois infantry, October 12, 1863, and followed that regiment through all its changing fortunes. He was mustered out December 9, 1865 at New Braunfalls, Texas. Came to Fremont county, Iowa in 1870. He was married March 1, 1868, to Miss Caroline Baylor, by whom he has five children; three living: Stella W., Bertha W. and Ross E. He has a fine farm, well improved, and showing his excellent management. He has been a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for a number of years, and has been a justice of the peace.
- CLAIBORN, James M., farmer, section 22, P. O. Riverton; born in Elkhart county, Indiana, March 11, 1841. When nineteen years of age removed to Saline county, Nebraska, whence, after four months, he removed to Holt county, Missouri. Enlisted in company E, Twenty-fifth Missouri in November, 1862; remaining in the army a little over three years. Came to Fremont county, Iowa, in January 1865. Was married February 12, 1865, to Miss Matilda Beckstead. She was born in Atchinson county, Missouri, March 8, 1849. They have seven children; five living: Mary M., James E., Dora M., Caroline M., and Archibald.
- CROZIER, Charles R., proprietor Central House, P. O. Sidney; born August 27, 1850, in Brown county, Ohio. From 1873 to 1875 was a traveling salesman for a carriage and wagon manufactory. In 1876 entered the hotel business at Washington court house, Fayette county, Ohio. In 1879 came to Iowa, and engaged in the mercantile business at Red Oak. In August, 1880 came to Sidney to engage in his present business. Married November 16, 1876, to Miss Anna Maddox, of Ripley, Ohio. They have one child: Mary Page, born December 18, 1877.
- DRAPER, George E., attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born March 28, 1847, in Oakland county, Michigan. When but four years of age moved to Tompkins county, New York, where he grew to man's estate. He was educated in Courtland Academy, Courtland county, New York, and at Hamilton College, from which he graduated in 1869. He then engaged in school teaching for a time, after which he began the study of law. In 1871 he came to Iowa, at Council Bluffs, where he was admitted to the bar in the same year. Soon after he moved to Plattsmouth, Nebraska, where he engaged in the practice of law with George S. Smith. In the fall of 1872 he came to Sidney, forming a partnership with J. M. Cornish, with whom he remained until 1876. He then practiced alone until 1878, when a new partnership was formed with A. B. Thornell. Mr. Draper was married October 23, 1873, to Miss Ada B. Loose, of Sidney, by whom he has one child: Otho E.
- DAY, James Gamble, judge of the supreme court, P. O. Sidney; born June 28, 1832, in Jefferson county, Ohio. He is a son of George Day and Sarah Gamble. He is of English descent on his father's side, while the Gambles were of Irish descent. He comes from a line long noted for its superior mental traits, and of high standing in the legal and political histories of some of the older eastern States - notably Maryland and Pennsylvania. Young Day passed his youth, until eighteen years of age, on his father's farm in Ohio. He then attended Richmond College, in his native county, remaining nearly three years, and devoting his attention principally to the mathematics and ancient languages, both of which were eminently calculated to aid in the development of those marked powers of discrimination which became so necessary to him at a later day. From Richmond College he entered upon the busy life of teacher, which he followed for some three years, teaching in both graded and district schools. His law studies were largely pursued in private, until the year 1856, when he entered the law school of Cincinnati, from which he graduated the following year. He came to Iowa the same year, locating at Afton, where he entered at once upon the practice of his profession, serving as prosecuting attorney the first year. He came to Sidney in 1860, and formed a partnership with L. Lingenfelter, Esq. When the war came over the land, calling for the bravest and best of its sons, Mr. Day went to the front as first lieutenant, company F, Fifteenth Iowa infantry. He was soon after promoted to the captaincy of company I. At the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, he received a severe wound, which necessitated his resignation. While still in the army his constituents at home nominated him for judge of the third judicial district, to which position he was elected, and began a most serviceable term January 1, 1863. Four years later he was re-elected, and served until August, 1870. Governor Mervill then appointed him to the supreme bench of the State. He was elected in 1871 and again in 1877 to the same honored position, and is still on the bench. He has been twice chief justice of the supreme court, a position he has filled with distinguished ability and marked dignity. At home he is known as a most estimable man, of sterling integrity, and possessed of great influence. among his legal associates his standing is the very highest, and those best qualified to judge pronounce him a most able jurist - the highest compliment that can be paid a member of the legal profession. Judge Day was married December 1, 1857, to Miss Minerva C. Manly, of Stubenville, Ohio. They are the parents of seven children. In politics Judge Day is republican, but does not enter into the heated political contests so many seem to court. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, of which he is an elder. His connection with the legal history of Fremont has been of the most exalted character, and to it the reader is referred for a fuller account of the legal doings of this deservedly eminent gentleman.
- DYE, Rev. Henry B., pastor Presbyterian Church, P. O. Sidney; born December 4, 1832, in Washington county, Ohio, where he reached man's estate. His collegiate course was taken at Marietta College, from which he graduated in the spring of 1859. Immediately after graduation he began to read theology and was licensed to preach in 1860 by the Congregational conference of Marietta. In 1862, he was called to the pastorate of the Gustavus Presbyterian church in Trumbull county, Ohio, since which year he has fellowshipped with that denomination. In 1865 he resigned his pastorate at Gustavus to accept a call to the Presbyterian church of Huron, Ohio, with which he remained until the spring of 1871. A call from the Presbyterian church of South Toledo, Ohio, led him to resign his charge at Huron, on which he accepted the call, remaining with the church until 1878, when he came west, locating at Brownsville, Nebraska, as stated supply until June, 1879, when he was called to his present pastorate. Mr. Dye was duly installed as pastor of the Sidney Presbyterian church, November 3, 1880. He is an able and earnest minister, and a good pastor, enjoying the full confidence of his parishioners. He is alive to all the questions of the day; takes strong ground against intemperance, and is in the van in every work of reform. Mr. Dye was married to Miss Theba A. Griggs, September 9, 1856. She was born December 9, 1833, in Marietta, Ohio, and died March 2, 1873. She was the mother of four children living: Carrie E., born January 23, 1858; Levi born December 4, 1860; William, born April 4, 1862; and Marietta, born March 8, 1866. Mr. Dye married as his second wife, Miss Martha M. Brodley, of South Toledo, Ohio, May 12, 1874. She is the daughter of E. J. Brodley, and was born in Vermont, May 12, 1837.
- DUNCAN, Robert, farmer, section 5, P. O. Plum Hollow; born April 22, 1818, in Highland county, state of Ohio. In 1851 moved to Knox county, Illinois, and in 1854, came to Fremont county, Iowa. Was married to Miss Mary Murray, May 11, 1843. They have eight children living: James, William, Mary, John, Oscar, Sarah, wife of Eli Reeves; Emma, and Samuel C. Mr. Duncan came to Iowa at so early a date that his life has been filled with hardships, and what pioneer life really is, none know better than he. The saddest blow he has ever known was the death of his wife, Mary, November 12, 1878. She had been the companion of all his trials, and had helped him bear the burdens of the dark days when first they came to Fremont.
- EATON, William, attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born October 9, 1849, in Lee county, Iowa, where he grew to manhood. Was educated at Denmrk Academy, from which he graduated in June, 1872. He graduated from the law department of the Iowa State University in June of 1874. He located in Sidney in October of the same year, forming a partnership with Col. Anderson. In the fall of 1880 he was appointed district attorney to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Col. Anderson. He was married August 4, 1874, to Miss Annie Grundy, of Illinois, by whom he has two children: Elmer E. and Lillie E. Mr. Eaton is a member of the I.O.O.F.
- ETLING, Thomas, farmer, section 21, P. O. Sidney; born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1833, where he received his education in the common school, and learned as a trade that of brick-mason and builder. Came to Sidney township, Fremont county, in 1855, and has made this his home ever since, though he has often been a resident of other states for brief periods as contractor and builder on public buildings and manufacturing establishments. Mr. Etling enlisted in company B, Sixteenth Pennsylvania cavalry in September, 1862, and for faithful performance of duty was promoted to a first lieutenant. He was in all the engagements in which his regiment participated. He was wounded, July 27, 1864, at Malvern Hill, and again at Chancellorville, in the nose. He was mustered out at Lynchburg, Virginia, at the close of the war. He was married January 4, 1870, to Mrs. Josephine Bugher, widow of William Bugher. She was born November 1, 1851, and was a teacher. Her maiden name was Hickly. They have three children living: Nellie A., Henry M. and Josephine P.
- GAGNEBIN, Henry F., county surveyor, P. O. Sidney; born January 3, 1826, in the city of Geneva, Switzerland, where he grew to manhood and was finely educated. He came to America in the year 1847, locating on a farm near Alton, Illinois. In 1855 he became a resident of Wisconsin, and in 1857 moved to De Witt, Carroll county, Missouri. In January, 1862, he enlisted in company L, Seventh Missouri cavalry. He was discharged on account of disability March 15, 1863, when he returned to his home in Missouri. In September of 1863, he came to Fremont county, and located at Sidney, the county seat. In 1877 he received the appointment of county surveyor. In the fall of that year he was duly elected to that position, and again in 1879. He was married November 15, 1856, to Miss Eliza A. Winfrey, of Carroll county, Missouri. They have eight children living: Sarah L., William T., Kate, Annie, Harriet M., Clara, Walter H. and Geneva.
- GORDON, John, farmer, section 15, P. O. Sidney; born in Franklin county, Ohio, May 12, 1818. In 1820 he removed with his father's family to Henry county, Indiana, remaining until 1821. In 1843 he came to Iowa and located at Pleasant Grove - then containing but four or five houses. He was married April 30, 1840, to Miss Martha Cummins, of Delaware county, Indiana. He has one son living, Andrew M. He lost a son, William G., October 7, 1872. He was a young man of great promise, and at the time of his death was practicing law at Dardanelle, Arkansas. William graduated at the State University at Lexington, Kentucky, and his life, a most useful one, was suddenly closed in a strange state. Mr. Gordon's fine farm contains 107 acres, fifty of which are woodland. He has an orchard of nearly nine hundred apple trees, and has done much to introduce fruit growing in the county.
- HOOP, Philip H., attorney at law. P. O. Sidney; born April 23, 1840 in Highland county, Ohio. He here grew to man's estate. For a number of years he engaged in teaching and study. Mr. Hoop came to Fremont county in 1871, and located at the county seat. Until the spring of 1877, he was engaged in teaching, an occupation for which he was well fitted. Having been admitted to the bar in 1874, when he ceased teaching in 1877, he entered upon the practice of his profession. He has served the people as justice of the peace three terms, and is now, (1880), entering upon a fourth term of service. For two years he filled the position of mayor of Sidney to the entire satisfaction of the citizens of the town. Mr. Hoop was married December 29, 1864. in Highland county, Ohio, to Miss Rachel C. Donohue, by whom he has two children: Lizzie and Russell M. This wife died July 24, 1869. He was married to Alice Mason, December 29, 1875. They have one child: Maude Gertrude.
- HEDGES, Elias S., real estate broker, P. O. Sidney; born October 21, 1807, in Saratoga county, New York, where he grew to manhood. In 1830, he went with his father's family to Chautauqua county, New York, being employed with his father until 1856, when he came to Fremont county, and located at Sidney. In August of 1857, was elected county judge, which office he held for two and a half years. In 1863, he was appointed commissioner of the board of enrollment for this congressional district, with headquarters at Des Moines, which position he held to the close of the war. He engaged in his present business in 1865, and through his hands has passed a large portion of the lands of the county. Before leaving New York, Colonel Hedges was a member of the New York state militia. During the war with the Confederacy Mr. Sears held the same position in the state militia of Iowa, a further history of which may be found under the Southern War Brigade in a preceding portion of this volume. Colonel Hedges was married January 18, 1832, to Miss Rebecca Parker, a native of New York; they have two children: William H. and Samuel P. The wife of Colonel Hedges died November 18, 1872. He was married September 10, 1879, to Amelia Elifritz.
- HATTEN, Charles S., mechanic, P. O. Sidney; born May 20, 1826, in Nelson county, Virginia; moved to Holt county, Missouri, in 1852. In August, 1865, he came to Sidney, Iowa, of which city he has since been a resident. He was married May 18, 1848, to Miss Nancy Dudding, of West Virginia, by whom he has five children: George T., Annie H., Margaret D., Celeste V. and Albina W.
- HANLEY, Dr. Richard R., P. O. Sidney; born July 17, 1829, in Tompkins county, New York, where he attained man's estate and was educated. Finishing his course in the classical school of his native state, he at once began to read medicine, and entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in March, 1852. After completing his course he began to practice in Hector, New York, remaining until August, 1856, when he came to Fremont county, Iowa. Dr. Hanley was an active member of Baptist church, and minister in the same. In 1864 he moved to Tabor, Iowa, and was regularly ordained as a minister of the Baptist persuasion. During his residence at Tabor he was made a member of the board of trustees of Tabor College, which institution he assisted to organize. In 1877 he engaged in the newspaper business, at Riverton, publishing the Riverton Advocate until the fall of 1878, when the paper was moved to Sidney and published until 1880. It was then transferred to its present proprietors,and published under the name of the Sidney Union-Advocate. Dr. Hanley was a member of the first board of supervisors in the county, and at an early day a justice of the peace. He was married December 30, 1852, to Miss Mary Beadsley, of Tompkins county, New York, by whom he has five children: Charles S., Emma J., Lilly D., Flora D. and Bertie M.
- HODGES, R. C., farmer, section 18, P. O. Sidney; born in Fayette county, Indiana, April 6, 1833, where he remained until 1857, when he came to Fremont county, Iowa. Married Margaret Mann, March 3, 1856, by whom he has five children: George F., Louis, Iowa, Gertrude, and Ray. Mr. Hodges is the son of James A. and Sarah Hodges. His father was born in Abbeville district, South Carolina, May 2, 1810. In 1832 he removed to Indiana, and in 1856 to Iowa. He was the county judge of Fremont county one term. He was the father of five children, beside the subject of this sketch: Nancy A., Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, and John. Mr. R. C. Hodges is a member of the A.O.U.W.
- HUTCHINSON, W. W., farmer, section 6, P. O. Anderson; born in Belmont county, Ohio, May 1, 1832. In the year 1858, came to Fremont county, Iowa. Mr. Hutchinson has been engaged in various kinds of business, but has devoted the most of his attention to farming. Was married in May, 1872, to Miss Melissa Morgan, of Marion county, Indiana, by whom he has two children: May L. and William T.
- HENDERSON, Loren R., farmer and merchant, section 18, P. O. Sidney; born in Vermillion county, Indiana, March 24, 1831; came to Iowa in 1855. Married to Miss Martha E. Lawrence, April 9, 1856. They are the parents of five children: Jessie A., William L., Ralph, Charles, and George A. Followed farming until 1879; is now a merchant at Anderson. Owns a farm of 400 acres. Mr. Henderson has held various township offices. Coming to the county at so early a date he has not only witnessed its growth, but borne his share of the heat and burden.
- HUTCHINSON, E. W., farmer, section 6, P. O. Anderson; born in Belmont county, Ohio, December 31, 1840, where he remained until twenty-one years of age, when he enlisted in the 15th Ohio veteran volunteer infantry. He was in all the battles of his regiment until that of Stone River, when he was taken prisoner. He was paroled shortly after, and joined his regiment - having been exchanged in the meantime - at Murfreesboro, Tennessee. His fortunes then were those of his regiment. He was mustered out December 27, 1865. In the following spring came to Fremont county, Iowa. Was married April 25, 1872, to Miss Mary E. Irwin. They have four children: Samuel A., Della, Erskine, and one yet unnamed. He owns a farm of 180 acres, and is largely and successfully interested in stock raising.
- HUME, John M. farmer, section 32, P. O. Sidney; born July 20, 1829, in Kenton county, Kentucky. At a very early age he went with his father's family to Crawford County, Indiana, where he grew to maturity, and was educated. Came to Iowa in 1854, settling in Fremont county. He went on a filibustering expedition to the Island of Cuba, in 1850, and was at the taking of Cordeno. He was married April 8, 1860, to Miss Johanna Mann, a native of Kentucky. They have four children living: Allie B., Nellie, Jennie and Clara; and four deceased: William, Samuel, Lew and Clara. Mr. Hume is a member of the M. E. church and his wife a member of the old school Baptist. His farm comprises 600 acres of most excellent land.
- JENKINS, William L., livery, feed and sale stable, P. O. Sidney; born in Fairfield county, Ohio, January 24, 1838. When six years of age moved with his parents to Clark county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood. In 1856 he engaged with the Western Stage company, driving for them in Illinois and Iowa, until 1865, when he located in Sidney, Fremont county, Iowa. In 1873 he was appointed deputy sheriff of the county, which position he filled until January, 1880. Was married to Miss L. J. Jones, of Maryland, February 1, 1862. They have three children: Frank, Edith and Harry. Mr. J. is a member of the I.O.O.F.
- JUDD, Warren, farmer, section 10, P. O. Sidney; born April 24, 1826, in Dearborn county, Indiana. In 1855 came to Winneshiek county, Iowa, where he remained one year, moving thence to Gentry county, Missouri, in the following year. In 1865 came to Fremont county. He enlisted in 1861 in the state service in Missouri, serving for six months. From that date until the close of the war, he served in the home guard. He was married June 27, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Parsley, in Wayne county, Indiana who died October 30, 1859. Was married to Miss Martha Hendrick, May 5, 1861, in Gentry county, Missouri. By this union he has one child - Horace. By his first wife were born to him three children, one son and two daughters: George W., Martha P. and Julia A. He is a member of the Baptist church.
- JOHNSON, M. D., superintendent county farm, P. O. Sidney; born in the state of New York, October 14, 1823, remaining in the county of his birth until 1833, when he removed to Chautauqua county. In 1854 Mr. Johnson came to Jones county, Iowa, where he remained until December 8, 1870, when he became a resident of this county. He enlisted August 23, 1862, in company K, 24th Iowa, and was with his regiment in all its engagements. He was several times promoted for meritorious conduct, and was mustered out as commissary sergeant. He was married to Miss Phebe A. Tallman, November 14, 1846, by whom he is the father of five children: Don C., Porter M., Ella B., Clinton D., and May E. He is a member of the A. F. and A. M. He has held several township offices, and been twice elected as superintendent of the poor farm.
- JOBE, V.,brick mason, P. O. Sidney; born May 17, 1845, in the state of Illinois. When quite young moved to Indiana, remaining there until 1855, when he came to Iowa. He was married March 19, 1864, to Miss Annie Jenkins, a native of Indiana. They are the parents of five children: Ella R., Everie W., Corea G., Henrietta, Jennie E. and Jemmie E. J.
- JENKINS, Thomas, minister, P. O. Sidney; born in Monongalia county, Va., January 6, 1798, where he matured and received his education. In 1825 he founded a powder mill in his native county, and afterward changed the same to a flouring establishment. In 1832 he moved to Warren county, Ohio, and in 1835 to Indiana, where he remained until 1854. In that year he came to Iowa and located in Fremont county. In early life he united with the Old School Baptists, to the ministry of which church he was ordained October 7, 1832. Mr. Jenkins has been three times married: July 11, 1816 to Miss Hannah Smith, by whom he had seven children: Mary, Jonathan, Ambrose, Nancy, Sarah, Thomas and Rhoda. By his second wife, Mrs. Anna Crumrine, he had three children: Anna, Susannah and one unnamed. In 1852 he married Mrs. Matilda Cunningham. He has been in the ministry a number of years. He had the misfortune to become totally blind for four years, because of a cataract. He is now full of vigor and as zealous as ever in his work.
- KING, A. D., county treasurer, P. O. Sidney; born May 20, 1848, in Lee county, Iowa. In 1854 he moved to Bedford, Taylor county, where he remained until April, 1862, when he enlisted in company K, Fourth Iowa infantry, being then but fifteen years of age. In the same company were two of his brothers, neither of whom were yet eighteen. Mr. King was with his regiment during all the stormy scenes through which it passed. He was discharged August 5, 1865. In September of 1866 he came to Fremont county and entered into the employment of Paul & Storm, of Sidney. From 1867 to 1875 Mr. King was engaged in the mercantile business at Fremont City, this county. In the latter year he was elected county treasurer, on the Republican ticket, and again elected in 1877 and 1879. Mr. King was married to Miss Mary L. Roberts, of Plattsville, Taylor county, Iowa, July 1, 1866. They are the parents of five children: Ancil, Louis G., Minta E., Charles W. and Pearl.
- KENNEDY, Willis W., retired merchant, P. O. Riverton; born October 20, 1813, in Wake county, North Carolina, and there attained manhood's estate. When eighteen years of age he entered the gold mines of North Carolina, remaining for some three years. He then went to learn the bricklayer's trade, following this occupation for sixteen years. In 1843 he became a resident of Andrew county, Missouri, where he engaged in various business occupations until 1864, when he moved to Glenwood, Mills county, Iowa, remaining there until 1866, when he came to Sidney. Mr. Kennedy was engaged in business of various kinds until 1872, when he retired from active business life. Mr. Kennedy was married November 13, 1844, to Miss Phebe Carigen, of Carter county, Tennessee.
- KEELER, Riley, druggist, P. O. Sidney; born November 17, 1834, in Marion county, Indiana, resided there until 1850, when he moved to Fremont county, Iowa. His father purchased a choice farm some nine miles north of Sidney. Young Keeler was, therefore, raised as a farmer. After attaining manhood's estate he taught school one term, and worked at the carpenter's trade which he had learned in his youth. In 1856 he was married, and the same year purchased a small farm, on which he resided until 1865. He then came to Sidney, engaging in the drug business, in connection with his brother-in-law, James Gray, which they jointly continued until 1870, since which time Mr. Keeler has carried on the business in his own name. Mr. Keeler was married March 22, 1856, to Margaret Gray, of Fremont county. They had one son: James, born January 8, 1857, since deceased.
- LINGENFELTER, L., attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born near Lexington, Kentucky, in August, 1822. His father was George Lingenfelter, a native of Frederick county, Maryland, but who settled in Fayette county, Kentucky while it was yet an immense canebrake, about the year 1804. In that year his father married Miss Nancy York, the daughter of a revolutionary soldier. A few years thereafter, Mr. Lingenfelter's parents moved to Clay county, Missouri, locating in the neighborhood of Liberty, where young Lingenfelter received the major portion of his education. After thoroughly improving the advantages of the schools of Liberty, young Lingenfelter entered college at Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, for two years, when his course sustained an abrupt and painful curtailing in the death of his mother. In the following year he taught school at Liberty, retaining his position for two years, when he began to read law under the instruction of Judge Wood. In 1846 Mr. Lingenfelter married Miss Susan Lancaster, a daughter of Col. Lancaster, of Washington county, Kentucky, by whom he is the father of six children, four sons and two daughters, all living. Since Mr. Lingenfelter came to Iowa he was twice elected to the office of prosecuting attorney for Fremont county, which he filled to the satisfaction of all parties concerned. In 1860 he voted for Mr. Douglas in the presidential election of that year, but during the war with the confederacy he ably sustained the administration of Lincoln. In 1864 he was appointed by the republican state convention, one of the delegates to the Baltimore convention, which renominated Lincoln for a second term. At the close of the war Mr. Lingenfelter came back to his first love and connected himself with the Democracy, to the time honored principles of which he still adheres. In religious faith Mr. Lingenfelter is a Baptist, of which denomination he has been a member for thirty five years. He is a conscientious temperance man, intelligently active in his interest in educational matters, and a patron of all that tends to ameliorate the conditions of men. From the earliest day he has been actively interested in the welfare of the county, and has been closely identified with its interests. In 1876 he published a brief "History of Fremont County," which was an epitome of its existence up to that date.
- LINN, Sylvania J., nurseryman, P. O. Sidney; born September 16, 1836, in Perry county, Ohio. Came to Iowa when but four years of age, living in Henry county until October, 1861, when he enlisted in company D, 4th Iowa cavalry, but, owing to disability, he was discharged in six months. In the fall of 1863 he moved to Sidney engaging in various occupations until 1871, when he founded the Sidney nursery. This is a most commendable enterprise, of which the residents of the county have availed themselves freely. An account of it is elsewhere given. He was married August 27, 1863, to Miss Charlotta Simons, of Sidney. Mr. Linn is a member of the I.O.O.F.
- LAIRD, Mrs. Mary I., P. O. Sidney; born July 14, 1814, in Erie, Pennsylvania, where she grew to womanhood. April 10, 1832, she married Johnston Laird, a native of Erie, Pennsylvania, born in March, 1806. Her husband was, in his younger days a farmer, and in 1835 he engaged in the mercantile business. Mrs. Laird came with her husband to Fremont county in 1852. Her husband died August 27, 1868. She is the mother of eight children: William, Hamlin, Henry, George, Benjamin, John, Francis, James and Mary.
- LYBE, D. I., jeweler and dentist, P. O. Sidney; born December 25, 1847, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he grew to manhood. He attended the college of dentistry, of Philadelphia, and finishing his studies located in Blair county, Pennsylvania, to engage in the practice of his profession. In 1870 he came to Iowa, locating in Jasper county, where he continued until 1877, when he came to Sidney. In 1878 he opened a jewelry store in connection with his dental office. Mr. Lybe was married July 3, 1872, and is the father of two children: Bessie and Leland. He enlisted in company I, 101st regiment Pennsylvania infantry, in 1864, and served until the close of the war.
- LEITCH, Alexander, farmer, Sidney township, section 34, P. O. Sidney; born in Scotland, October 12, 1825, in the city of Iverness. In 1837 emigrated to America with his father's family, and located in Raleigh, North Carolina. In 1839 he removed to St. Louis, Missouri, remaining until 1846 when he settled at Gallitin, Davis county, same state, at which place he was married to Miss Emily A. Venable, September 27, 1850. They are the parents of four children: Elizabeth M., Amelia A., William T. and Isabella M. In 1854 Mr. Leitch left Missouri, and located in the town of Sidney, Fremont county, Iowa. He was postmaster at Sidney in the years 1855-6-7; he held at the same time the office of school fund commissioner. In the fall of 1858 he was elected clerk of the district court; re-elected at the expiration of his first term, and appointed for a third term clerk of the district and circuit courts by the board of supervisors. He has also filled the offices of justice of the peace and township trustee. Mr. Leitch and his son are both Master Masons. His wife is sister to Dr. Joseph Venable, one of the very first physicians to practice in this county.
- LEFFLER, William, merchant, P. O. Sidney, place of business Spring Valley; born December 28, 1843, in Boone county, Missouri. Came to Iowa in 1853, with his mother, his father having died in 1849. In this county he grew to manhood, and received his education. In his youth he suffered from a severe attack of typhoid fever, which left him a cripple for life. He engaged in his present business in 1875.
- MORRIS, William, bee-keeper and farmer, section 2, P. O. Anderson; born May 3, 1841, in Bates county, Missouri. In 1849 he moved with his father's family, where he resided until 1850, when he came to Fremont county, locating in Sidney township. In 1854 he became a resident of Cass county, Nebraska. He removed to California in 1857. In 1863 he enlisted in company E, Second Massachusetts cavalry, and was put on picket duty in the defenses of Washington. In 1863 he was captured by the Confederates, by whom he was exchanged a few months after. Mr. Morris was in thirty-two battles, during his connection with the army. He was mustered out August 7, 1865, at Boston, Massachusetts. He then came direct to Iowa, and entered Tabor College. In the spring of 1866 he commenced his present occupation - that of farming and keeping bees. He was married to Miss Susanna Wilson, of Tabor, February 22, 1866, by whom he has seven children: Sarah L., Martha L., Nellie S., John W., Harriet O., Marietta I. and Emma R. He is the son of Milton Morris, of Missouri, who came from that State because of entertaining principles hostile to slavery.
- MORGAN, William W., editor "Fremont Democrat", P. O. Sidney; born March 30, 1833, in Windsor county, Vermont. In 1847 moved with his parents to Miami county, Indiana, where he attained his majority. In 1850 started for Santa Fe, New Mexico. In 1854 settled in Kansas, establishing a claim in Doniphan county. In 1856 went to Illinois remaining until 1858, when he went to Nebraska. In 1863 he entered the service of the United States in the Second Nebraska cavalry, being engaged in the Indian expeditions in the northwest. In 1864 and 1865 he was first assistant clerk in the Territorial Council of Nebraska. Came to Iowa, and located in Fremont county, at Bartlett, where he was justice of the peace. In 1869 he was elected sheriff on the democratic ticket - and was re-elected four successive terms. Since 1877 he has been engaged in the practice of law in connection with Robert Percival, of Council Bluffs. In the fall of 1880 he purchased the "Fremont Democrat" and assumed its management. Mr. Morgan is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the A.O.U.W. He was married September 10, 1837, to Miss Hannah J. Rheinhrt, of Long Island, New York, by whom he has four children. Houston N., Laura B., Alice and William L. His wife died July 20, 1880.
- MURPHY, Joseph, attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born November 24, 1828, in the parish of St. Mullins, county Carlow, Ireland. His father was of the old stock of the adjoining county of Wexford, and his mother was the daughter of Benjamin Wrigley, of Cheatam Hill, Manchester, England, whose ancestry were of the followers of William the Conquerer, from Normandy, in 1066, A. D. When but a few months old his parents moved to Dublin, in 1829, where he was reared, and they being in comfortable circumstances he received what might be termed a liberal education. At an early age, and long before he had the remotest idea of emigrating to America, he became familiar with, and a great admirer of, her history and institutions, so that when financial reverses rendered emigration advisable, he was prepared to make an intelligent choice of a country for his future home. In the year 1850 he came to America, and commenced his career as a teacher of common schools in Indiana. During his leisure he read law, and was admitted to the bar by Judge Morton in 1853. In August, 1854, Mr. Murphy came to Sidney, Iowa. He then engaged in teaching - one term - in the old brick school house that stood on the west side of the city. Shortly after this Mr. Murphy began to practice - there being but two lawyers, Messrs. Sears and Lingenfelter. Mr. Murphy has continued in practice until a few years since, when his sight failing him, he was obliged to desist. He now resides on his farm, west of the city, coming to town daily to engage in his profession.
- McDONALD, James H., attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born April 15, 1853, in Hamilton, province of Ontario, Canada. When a child came with his parents to Oneida county, New York, remaining eight years, when he removed to Columbia county, Wisconsin. In 1871 he came to Sidney, Fremont county, Iowa. Some of his earlier years in this county were passed in teaching school. In 1876 he was admitted to the bar as an attorney. Mr. McDonald was married to Miss Ella Gray, September 16, 1880. Mr. McDonald and wife are members of the Presbyterian church of Sidney.
- MOOMAW, John F., merchant, P. O. Sidney; born October 11, 1837, in the state of Virginia. When about ten years of age moved with his parents to Grant county, Indiana, remaining some seven years. In 1856 came to Fremont county, of which he has since been a continuous resident. His life, for the greater part, has been spent at the work-bench, for he is a carpenter by trade. In 1863 he visited the Rocky Mountains, remaining but a year. In 1877 he entered the furniture business, in which he is now engaged. Mr. Moomaw is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married December 20, 1860, to Miss Matilda Fletcher; by this union they have three children: William H., Joseph B. and Charles.
- McCRACKEN, Cyrus, physician and surgeon, P. O. Sidney; born January 4, 1833, in Morgan county, Indiana. His education was received in the common schools of Indiana, and Richland Seminary, Keokuk, Iowa. In 1854 he engaged in the drug business, in Keokuk county at Richland, where he remained until December, 1855. In that month his store was burned, a disaster more heavily borne, owing to a severe sickness, for he was at that time suffering under a severe attack of typhoid fever. After recovering he formed a partnership with Dr. Shelly, engaging in the practice of medicine at Abingdon, Jefferson county, Iowa, where he remained until 1860. He graduated from the Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons. When he came to Sidney, he formed a partnership with Dr. John McKilliss, with whom he continued until the fall of 1863. He then assumed the practice in his own name, meeting with signal success. Dr. McCracken was married September 20, 1854, to Miss Sarah M. McCreery, of Richland, Iowa. They have one child, Mary, born June 28, 1856, now wife of John T. Hodges, of Sidney. Dr. McCracken is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and A.O.U.W.
- MOOMAW, Jacob B., carpenter and joiner, P. O. Sidney; born October 24, 1799, in the state of Virginia, where he grew to manhood, was educated and married. His father was Philip Moomaw, born October 17, 1771, and died November 11, 1844. He was a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade, and from him young Moomaw learned his trade. When twenty-one young Moomaw indentured himself to his uncle, and for three years served an apprenticeship at the tanner's trade. He then assumed control of the yard, which he continued for thirteen years. He then entered upon his first trade - that of carpenter - until 1845, when he removed to Grant county, Indiana, to follow farming. In 1855 he came to Fremont county, and found a congenial home in the young city of Sidney, which he helped both to plat and to build. Many of the older houses in the town stand to attest the quality of his workmanship. He built the old seminary building, and the Herod hotel (now the Cromwell House). Mr. Moomaw has filled nearly every township office since his residence here; was thrice elected a justice of the peace, but would not qualify. For fifty-six years he has been a conscientious member of the Christian Church, and a minister in the same. He was married to Miss Anna Fisher, of Virginia, August 17, 1830, by whom he has five children living: Mark F., John F., Catherine, Daniel D., and Jacob.
- METELMEN, A. F., merchant, P. O. Sidney; born June 30, 1833, in Mecklinburg, Germany. He received his education in an excellent private school in that country, where he remained until nineteen years of age. In 1852 he came to America, and located in Cleveland, Ohio, finding employment as clerk in a dry-goods house in that city. At the expiration of two years he removed to Davenport, Iowa, remaining but a short time, when he went to Louisville, Kentucky. Here he engaged as a salesman until July, 1856, when he came to Fremont county, locating in the then newly constituted county seat. He entered the employ of Tootle & Armstrong, remaining with this firm until it was dissolved, when he formed a partnership with the junior member of the firm, under the firm name of Reed, Armstrong & Co. This partnership continued until 1867, when Mr. Metelmen purchased his partners' interest, and conducted the business in his own name until 1876. He then associated himself with Mr. Hodges, the firm name being A. F. Metelmen & Co. Mr. Metelmen was married to Miss Mary Brown, of Peoria, Illinois, by whom he has two children: Maud Ella, born January 12, 1869; and Charles, born October 1, 1878.
- MURPHY, Chrles W., postmaster, joint editor and proprietor "Sidney Union-Advocate", P. O. Sidney; born in Green county, Ohio, August 20, 1846, where he grew to man's estate. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, and at the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, from the law department of which he graduated in the spring of 1874. He came to Iowa, and located at Hamburg in the same year. In July 1875, he purchased the "Sidney Union", which he published until its consolidation with the Advocate. Mr. Murphy served in the federal army for thirteen months, in the fifth independent battalion Ohio cavalry. He was married January 8, 1876, to Miss M. B. Darst, of Circleville, Ohio, by whom he has two children: Clark and Kenneth. In 1878 he was appointed postmaster, which office he still holds.
- McCORMICK, H. T., farmer, section 32, P. O. Plum Hollow; born January 11, 1835, in Warren county, Pennsylvania, where he grew to manhood and was educated. Came to Iowa in 1867, and located on the farm he now occupies. He was married June 13, 1867, to Miss Sarah Kuhns, a native of Venango county, Pennsylvania. They have five children living: Roselle H., Franklin U., Lulu M., Rutherford J. and Linda F. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and has held several township offices.
- NESS, William C., mechanic P. O. Sidney; born May 29, 1840, in Miami county, Indiana. In 1852 he came to Iowa, locating in Appanoose county, where he remained until grown to manhood, and learned the wagon-maker's trade. From September 1859, to the spring of 1861, he was in school at West Point Academy, Grundy county, Missouri. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in company B, first Missouri cavalry, serving four-years. He was in numerous battles and was thrice wounded in the arm, in the head, and in the breast. He was mustered out May 16, 1865. In September of the same year he came to Sidney, and attended the Seminary which was then in operation at the county seat. He has been in various occupations, including two years teaching school. He was married October 16, 1872 to Miss Maggie D. Hatten, of Sidney. They are the parents of three children: Leo, Maggie, and one unnamed.
- OTTE, George, farmer, section 24, P. O. Sidney; born February 9, 1830, in Hanover, Germany. At the age of eighteen years he and his brother - then sixteen years of age - came to New York. Mr. Otte came to Iowa in 1856, locating in Douglas township, Page county. In 1865 he came to Fremont county, and located on the farm he now owns. Since coming to this county he has accumulated all of his fine property, consisting of 640 acres of land, which is well improved and stocked. Mr. Otte was married March 25, 1852, to Miss Johanna Klinge, a native of Germany. They are the parents of eleven children, nine living: Rachel, George, Annie, William, Charlie, Albert, Jessie, Fred and James
- OWEN, Henry P., farmer and blacksmith, P. O. Sidney; born February 7, 1856, in Shropshire, North Wales. In 1870 emigrated to America, and located for a short period, when he moved to Nebraska. Came to Iowa in 1876. In the same year he was married to Miss Rose A. Secrist, a native of Illinois, by whom he has one child: Gertrude L.
- ORR, John H., farmer, section 24, P. O. Plum Hollow; born October 29, 1843, in Wayne county, West Virginia. When nine years of age moved with his father's family to Missouri, in the common schools of which State the chief portion of his education was obtained. Enlisted in 1862 in company E, Forty-third regiment, remaining in the service until the close of the war. Came to Iowa in 1868, locating first at Civil Bend, Fremont county. He was married to Miss Elizabeth A. Smith in 1870, by whom he has five children, three living: William E., Benjamin F. and Lucy F.
- ORR, S. S., farmer and teacher, section 24, P. O. Plum Hollow; born March 17, 1841, in Wayne county, Virginia. In 1852 moved to Missouri with his father's family His education was largely received in the select schools of Virginia. Enlisted in 1862 in company E, Forty-fifth Missouri, State militia; was transferred to the regular army in company D, Ninth infantry. Came to Iowa in 1865, remaining but a brief period when he returned to Missouri to engage in school teaching. In 1868 returned to Fremont county to remain. He has held various township offices, among them assessor and collector. Mr. Orr was married November 4, 1869, to Miss Mary E. Keyser, by whom he has five children: Francis L., Alpha C., Mary A., F. L. and Emma A.
- PENN, Dr. John N., P. O. Sidney; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, May 13, 1824, where he received his education and reached man's estate. In 1844 he removed to Green county, Pennsylvania, and engaged in the stock business in connection with an uncle in which he continued four years. Closing out his interest he next embarked upon another business project, engaging in the sale of groceries and confectionery. His leisure time during this period was employed in reading medicine, until the year 1852, when he engaged in its practice in connection with his preceptor. In the spring of 1855, he removed to Athens county, Ohio, but not finding a suitable location, in the following year he came to Iowa, locating at Sidney. After a six month's practice here, the outlook appearing so very flattering, he returned to the east to bring his family to his new home, which he did in April, 1857. Dr. Penn's practice soon assumed huge proportions, since, in those early days competent physicians were few. He is the oldest resident physician in the county; and, as may be judged, his practice was not alone confined to Fremont but embraced the counties of Mills and Montgomery, and even reached into the states of Missouri and Nebraska. In January, 1864, he purchased the drug business of O. A. Sykes & Co., which he superintended, in connection with an extensive practice, until June, 1876. He was then subjected to an experience, the most unfortunate a man can possibly undergo, the loss of sight. He suffered from congestion of the brain, induced by exposure, which resulted in the total destruction of the optic nerves, and complete loss of vision. He has continued to practice since his misfortune, but only in special cases. His drug business is now conducted by his son, and a branch business at Burlington Junction, by his second son, John H. Penn. The main business which now engages the attention of Dr. Penn almost exclusively is the preparation of medicines - specifics, which are meeting with a deserved reputation. Dr. Penn was married October 17, 1848, to Miss Emily Rickey, of Green county, Pennsylvania, of which she is a native. they are the parents of five children, all now living: Alphonso V., Clarissa Jane, Phebe A., John H., and William A. Dr. Penn has contributed not a little to the growth of the county, and his ventures have not all been made for selfish ends. The county has felt the influence of his noble example.
- PUGH, Madison F., farmer, section 24, P. O. Plum Hollow; born Februry 25, 1829, in Marion county, Indiana. In 1854, he came with his parents to Iowa, locating in Fremont county. His education was received in the common and subscription schools of Indiana. He has held the offices of road superintendent and school director. He owns a fine farm of 100 acres.
- RIST, James I., attorney at law, mayor, P. O. Sidney; born September 18, 1847, in Fulton county, Illinois. when he was seven years of age he came with his parents to Mills county, Iowa, where he grew to manhood, and received his preliminary education; when he entered Tabor College and completed his studies. He then began to read law, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1873. In the spring of 1875, he moved to Malvern and entered the newspaper business. In the spring of 1876, he came to Sidney, and began the practice of law. In March of 1880, he was elected mayor of Sidney. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and the I.O.O.F. October 7, 1875, Mr. Rist was married to Miss Emma J. Usher, of Glenwood. They have two children: Winifred E. and Edith E.
- ROSS, William P., barber, P. O. Sidney; born March 15, 1849, in Davis county, Missouri. When four years of age moved to Atchinson county, same state, remaining until 1863, when he removed to Richardson county, Nebraska. In August, 1864, he enlisted in company K, 48th Missouri infantry as a musician. At the battle of Nashville, Tennessee, he received a slight wound on the head, from a rifle ball, which resulted in brain fever. He was mustered out in June, 1865. From this time on he was engaged in sundry occupations in various towns and states until 1878, when he came to Sidney to engage in his present business. Mr. Ross was married February 18, 1875, to Miss Sarah J. Hyatt, of Sidney, by whom he has two children: Bertha and Clarence.
- ROCKWELL, Alva S., livery and feed stable, P. O. Sidney; born October 29, 1846, in Montgomery county, New York, where he grew to manhood, and remained until the spring of 1872, when he came to Fremont county, Iowa, locating at Riverton and engaging in the livery and stage business, until coming to Sidney and opening the Pacific House, in that city. In 1879 he purchased a farm, which he traded for his present business in Februry, 1880. Mr. Rockwell was married December 20, 186--, to Miss Josephine Holmes of Schoharie county, New York. They have two children: Albert W. and Emery H.
- RICHARDS, Milton, farmer, section 22, P. O. Sidney; born March 20, 1810, in Highland county, Ohio, where he lived until 1822, when he became a resident of Shelby county, same state. He came to Fremont county, Iowa, in 1846, locating on his present farm, which he purchased from A. H. Argyle, the first county treasurer and a man of note. Mr. Richards was married to Miss Jane Jackson, a native of Shelby county, Ohio, April 7, 1835, by whom he had ten children, nine now living: Francis M., born November 3, 1837; Mary, born September 5, 1842; Edward J., born May 22, 1845; Augustus, born July 23, 1848; Lucy E., born December 8, 1850; Harriet, born July 12, 1854; Martha A., born February 7, 1858, and Milton (Jr.) born April 17, 1860. Mr. Richards has been closely identified with the interests of the county since its earliest days, and has done much to build up the same. The reader is referred to the county's early history, from which may be gleaned much to throw light on the public life of Mr. Richards, which has been of the purest and best. He is a prominent member of the Christian church and an uncompromising greenbacker.
- RECTOR, Jason, farmer, section 31, P. O. Sidney; born August 24, 1825, in Marion county, Indiana, where he grew to manhood and was educated. Came to Iowa in 1847. Coming at so early a date he has not only witnessed the marvelous growth of the country, but contributed largely to the same. Mr. Rector was married March 18, 1849 to Miss Elizabeth Baylor, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio; they have one child by adoption: Lula H. Mr. Rector is a member of the M. E. Church, and a class leader in the same, a position which he has held for more than twelve years.
- SIMONS, Robert, joint editor "Sidney Union-Advocate" P. O. Sidney; born May 31, 1846, in Leicestershire, England. Came to America locating at Albany, New York, in August 1856. In 1857 came to Iowa, finding a location at New London, in Henry county. In 1863 Mr. Simons came to Fremont, and has since resided in the county. He was admitted to the bar, as a practicing attorney in 1868. At about the same time he became principal of the Hamburg schools, retaining the position for three years. He was then elected county superintendent of schools, holding the position for a term of two years. At the expiration of his term of service he purchased the "American Union" of Sidney, which he published for two years, when he sold his interest in the paper and went to Indiana. After an absence of a year he again returned to Sidney. In April, 1880, he purchased a half interest in the "Union Advocate" in connection with his present partner. Mr. Simons was married April 7, 1870, to Miss Hannah M. Cosand, of Sidney. They have one child: Percy, born December 25, 1870.
- SCHOCKLEY, John C., merchant, P. O. Sidney; born August 4, 1841 in Hancock county, Indiana. He reached manhood, and received his education in his native state, having been educated at London University, and the State University of Indiana. On reaching his majority he located in Kansas, engaging in school teaching. In October, 1863, he came to Fremont county, Iowa, and located at Sidney. He became clerk of the district court, which office he filled to the entire satisfaction of the county. He is a democrat in politics, and has been identified with the political history of that party since his residence in the county. In 1871 he engaged in his present business; adding to his income as a practicing attorney, he having been admitted to the bar in 1868. Mr. Shockley was married at Council Bluffs, February 14, 1866, to Miss Rebecca M. Mattock, of Wayne county, Indiana; they have two children living: Edward, and Jessie.
- SCYOC, John V., joint proprietor Cromwell House, P. O. Sidney; born January 9, 1816, in Perry county, Pa., where he attained the estate of manhood, and resided many years. His early life was passed as a farmer, and his educational advantages limited to the common schools of that day. He followed the occupation of a tanner for five years, and then, the four years following, engaged in railroading. In the spring of 1865 he moved to Cedar county, Iowa, following farming for one year, when, in 1866, he removed to Jefferson county, engaging in farming until the fall of 1871. He then moved to Fremont county, settling permanently at Sidney. In 1873 he rented the hotel property, known as the Cromwell House, which he conducted until 1875. In that year he purchased the property, in copartnership with Frederick Crabbs, and these gentlemen still conduct the house. Mr. Scyoc was married June 1, 1843, to Miss Julia Winters, a native of Maryland, born August 12, 1819. They have four children living: Isaac, Margaret, Julia and Jennie, all married, and three deceased. Mr. Scyoc is a member of the Masonic fraternity; and both he and his wife are members of the M. E. church.
- STOCKTON, T. R., attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born near Quincy, Adams county, Illinois, August 16, 1834. His parents were the Rev. J. M. Stockton and S. E. Kirkpatrick - his mother's maiden name. He resided in the counties of Adams, Hancock, and Henderson, Illinois, until 1852. In April, 1853, his father's family settled in the western part of Taylor county, Iowa. The boyhood and early manhood of Mr. Stockton were passed upon a farm, the uneventful life of which had little to offer him in the way of mental improvement. His education was limited to that of the common school, but was sufficiently complete to beget a desire for knowledge, which was met by a wide range of general reading. At various times, from 1855 to 1860, Mr. Stockton was engaged in teaching in the counties of Page, Taylor, and Montgomery. He began to read law in 1859, while still engaged in teaching, to follow which he borrowed books from friends. He was admitted to the bar in 1861, commencing to practice in Clarinda. From 1862 to 1863 he was editor of the "Page County Herald" which had been moved from Sidney a year or two previously. He did not cease either his study or his practice while engaged in editing the "Herald" but kept abreast of his brother attorneys. He was elected county judge of Page county in October, 1863, filling the position with entire satisfaction. Three years later, in 1866, he removed to Sidney, Fremont county. In 1872 was elected judge of the circuit court of the thirteenth circuit, at which time he removed to Council Bluffs, remaining there until the expiration of his term of office. The spring, summer and fall, of 1877, were spent in Deadwood, D. T., in the practice of law and dealing in mining property - the latter proving a losing venture. In November, 1871, he returned to the states, and moved to Sidney on the first of December, the same year. In 1879 Judge Stockton was elected to the state legislature. While at the Capital he entered with intelligent zeal into legislative affairs, occupying several positions of importance in that council of the state. He was successively chairman of the committee on constitutional amendments, a member of committee on judiciary, ways and means, schools, retrenchment, and reform. He served his constituency well, was thoroughly independent, and all his acts characterized by that complete want of bias that marks the competent legislator. Judge Stockton married Miss Lizzie Pierce, near College Springs, Page county, August 20, 1863, by whom he has three children: Lilie J., born in Clarinda, June 10, 1864, now at Tabor College; Nellie P., born in Sidney, July 25, 1866; and Fred R., born in Council Bluffs, December 10, 1873.
- SWEARINGEN, Garrett V., farmer, section 28, P. O. Sidney; born August 23, 1824, in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, where he remained until some sixteen years of age, when he removed to Washington county, same state. Until 1852 he followed the business of machinist and millwright in western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio and Virginia. In 1852 he moved to New Cumberland, Hancock county, West Virginia, where he followed his trade until 1854. In that year he went to California and Oregon, engaging in his business some three years. Mr. Swearingen came to Iowa, locating in Mills county, in the spring of 1858, and in the same year came to Fremont county, in which he has since resided. In 1860 a misfortune befell him which necessitated the amputation of his foot. In 1861 he was appointed postmaster at Sidney, which he held for twelve years. In 1864 he also became revenue collector of this district. In 1865 he assumed charge of the business of the express companies then located in Sidney, remaining with them until 1870. He was married March 2, 1857, to Christiana M. Burke, of West Virginia. He has been a member of the I.O.O.F. for twenty-two years, a fact which of itself testifies to his worth.
- SHIRLEY, W. R., P. O Hamburg; born in Defiance county, Ohio, May 19, 1833, and received his education in the common school and on a farm. Came to Iowa in 1858, and has since been a resident of Fremont county. Was married to Miss Sarah Hunter, October 25, 1853. They have nine children living: Elias, Mary A., Almeda, Emma, Adolphus and Adelia (twins), Wilbur, Wallace, and Guy. Owns eighty-three acres of finely improved land.
- SEARS, E. H., attorney at law, P. O. Sidney; born in Ballston, Saratoga county, New York, on the third day of May, 1815. He is a lineal descendant from some of the early settlers of the Empire State. He was educated in the common schools of the state, and at the academy of Amsterdam, Montgomery county. In 1844 he moved to Chautauqua county, same state, and in 1847 was admitted to the bar. He was married to Miss Julia A. Allen, October 5, 1848, who was a native of Connecticut. He came to Fremont county in the fall of 1853, with the interests of which he has been closely connected. The reader may find a complete account of all his public acts in the general history. He has done much to shape the affairs of the county as a public officer, and has witnessed its development from that early day to the present. He is prominently connected with christian charities, and has done much to improve the character of the morals of the county.
- SEPTKA, Frederick, farmer, P. O. Sidney; born in Germany, April 22, 1837, where he lived until 1869, when he came to America, and located in Fremont county, Iowa. Mr. Septka was married in 1862, to Miss Etta White, from which union there resulted the birth of a daughter, Gusta. In 1867 he married Miss Gusta Rungard - his first wife having died - by whom he had four children: William, Harmon, Mary, and Frederick. Mr. Septka was in the wars between Germany and Denmark, Germany and Austria, and the Franco-Prussian war.
- SWATMAN, T. W., blacksmith, P. O. Sidney; born February 22, 1848, in Essex county, Canada West. In 1858 he moved with his father's family to Illinois, remaining but a short time when they came to Iowa, locating in Page county. They soon after moved again to this county, in which he has since resided. Was married to Miss Sophia Secrist in 1869, by whom he has three children: Nettie M., Walter L., and Harry U.
- THROCKMORTON, Job, merchant, P. O. Sidney; born October 18, 1819, in Green county, Pennsylvania, where he grew to manhood, and became skilled in his trade - that of carpenter. In 1854 he moved to Meigs county, Ohio. In 1856 he came to Fremont county, locating at the county seat. In 1861 Mr. Throckmorton enlisted in company F, Fifteenth Iowa infantry. In the spring of 1862 he was promoted to a second lieutenancy, then to a first lieutenancy, and again to a captaincy, which position he maintained until the close of the war. Mr. Throckmorton was twice wounded during his connection with the army, which extended over four years. He was discharged August 3, 1865, and returned home to engage in the pursuits of a private life. He was married July 8, 1842, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Sarah Bust, by whom he has three children: John L., Nancy E. and Clarissa H.
- TEMPLETON, Wesley G., clerk of circuit and district courts, P. O. Sidney; born March 3, 1845, in Buchanan county, Missouri. In his infancy he removed with his parents to Osceola, Clarke county, Iowa where he grew to manhood. In June of 1863 he enlisted in company D, Eighth Iowa cavalry. July 30, 1864, Mr. Templeton was captured by the confederates near Atlanta, and taken to Andersonville, where he remained until April 1, 1865, when he was paroled at Vicksburg. He was subsequently discharged, honorably, from the service. On his return home he attended Simpson Centenary College at Indianola. In the fall of 1866 he went to Glenwood, Mills county, to learn the harness and saddlery trade, which he followed until 1875, when he went to Hamburg, Fremont county, to clerk for a business house in that city. He soon after this received an appointment as assistant postmaster in the city office where he remained until January 1, 1879, when he entered upon the duties of his office to which he had been elected. He was re-elected in the fall of 1880, polling the heaviest vote of any candidate in the county, running more than five hundred ahead of his ticket. Mr. Templeton was married January 30, 1868, to Miss Rachel A. Cole, of Glenwood, Mills county, Iowa, by whom he has two children: Frank F. and Archy. Mr. Templeton is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the A.O.U.W., while both he and his wife are members of the M. E. church.
- THORNELL, A. B., attorney at law. P. O. Sidney; born October 22, 1846, in Monroe county, New York, where he grew to manhood. He was educated at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, at Lima, New York, and at Tabor College, Tabor, Iowa, and Knox College, Illinois. He began the study of law in 1873. He was admitted to the bar at Sidney, in March 1875. His present partnership was formed in September, 1878. Mr. Thornell was married January 25, 1877, to Miss O. B. Gray, of Sidney. They have two children: Olive E. and Susanna. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
- TRAVIS, Abraham, farmer, section 12, P. O. Sidney; born in Pike county, Ohio, December 1, 1827, where he remained until 1830, when he moved to Indiana with his father's family. In 1851, came to Jefferson county, Iowa, where he located. He was married to Ruth Stoleberger March 20, 1852, by whom he has twelve children: Sarah E., born June 11, 1853; Thomas R., born June 14, 1855; Ennis, born October 30, 1857; William E., born November 20, 1859; Amos N., born January 18, 1862; Charles E., born November 16, 1863; Ettie M., born December 15, 1865; Joseph, born December 26, 1867; Amelia, January 19, 1870; Reuben, born February 2, 1872; Jessie, born March 2, 1875, and Bessie, born August 27, 1878. Mrs. Travis is a native of Huntington county, Pennsylvania, and has been a resident of Iowa since 1844.
- THORP, George W., farmer, section 24, P. O. Plum Hollow; born December 9, 1841, in Holt county, Missouri, in which state he grew to manhood and was educated. He came to Iowa in December 1861, and has since resided here. He was married in 1863, to Miss Mary E. Pugh, a native of Indiana, by whom he is the father of five children: Robert, Lewis, George E. and E. J. living and Eva A. deceased. He is a member of the Baptist church.
- WHITE, James F., physician and surgeon, P. O. Sidney; born April 20, 1843, in Washington county, Virginia. His father died in 1845; and in 1846 he moved with his mother's family to Clinton county, Indiana. Here he reached his majority and received his preliminary education. In August, 1861, he enlisted in company K, Tenth Indiana infantry. He was wounded in the left arm at the battle of Chickamauga. He was mustered out in September, 1864, having previously been detailed as clerk in the A. A. Q. Master's office, and general court-martial. On his return home he engaged in the study of medicine, and in November, 1867, began to practice in the county of his boyhood. The degree of 'Medicine Doctor' was conferred on him at the Indiana Medical College, in February, 1871. Dr. White came to Sidney in August, 1876, entering at once on the practice of his profession. In March, 1880, he was elected by the eighteenth general assembly a member of the board of trustees of the Iowa College for the Blind, at Clinton. He was married April 7, 1870, to Miss Mattie Cosand, of Sidney. They have two children: Harvey and Grace.
- WALKER, George, merchant, P. O. Sidney; born May 3, 1833, in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. When seven years of age came to America, locating at Hamilton, province of Ontario, Canada, where he grew to manhood. When eighteen years of age he began to learn the tinner's trade, which occupation he has followed nearly all his life. Came to Iowa, Mills county, in July 1860, remaining three years, at the end of which time he came to Sidney. Shortly after he returned to his former home in Mills county, remaining until 1866, when he again returned to Sidney to remain. In 1873 he formed his present business connection with J. C. Shockly. Mr. Walker was married October 2, 1859, to Miss Mary E. Birdsall, of Canada, province of Ontario. They are the parents of seven children: George W., John W., Henry A., Nellie M., Lillie A., Rosa and Charles G.
- WILSON, Thomas J., merchant, P. O. Sidney; born December 28, 1822, in Grant county, Kentucky. Moved to Schuyler county, Illinois with his parents when ten years of age. In that State he attained manhood's estate and received the major portion of his education. In 1839 he opened a wood-yard on the Mississippi river, opposite Fort Madison, in which business he remained until 1842. While at this business he made the shingles to cover a house for Mr. Drake of Ft. Madison, who was the father of General Drake, President of the State Line Railroad company. In 1843 he returned to Schyler county and engaged in farming for a brief period. He then leased his farm and opened a wagon and blacksmith shop on the farm, which business he continued until 1865. In that year he disposed of his business and moved to Fremont county, Iowa, purchasing a large farm one mile northeast of Sidney. Until 1873 he followed farming, meeting always with a success that attested his farming abilities; in that year he moved to Sidney to engage in the mercantile business. He still manages his farm, an extensive establishment, comprising 450 acres, all improved, just without the corporation limits of the town of Sidney. Mr. Wilson was married September 15, 1842, to Sarah Tull, a native of Maryland, who died in December of the same year. He was married again to Miss Phebe Barton, a native of Illinois, November 29, 1845. By this union they are the parents of ten children living and three deceased: James M., Ralph, John P., Thomas I., Servanyen, Monzella, Armintie, Frederick, Lulu May and Maude. Mr. Wilson is a member, as is his wife, of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is successful as a merchant, and esteemed as a citizen.
- WADE, Jefferson, farmer, section 14, P. O. Sidney; born August 15, 1812, in Adams county, Ohio, where he lived until sixteen years of age. In 1828 he moved with his father to Jay county, Indiana. His winters were spent in obtaining an education in the common and subscription schools of Ohio and Indiana; his summers were passed in work on the farm. Mr. Wade came to this county in 1844, and located on the farm he now owns. He was married in August, 1839, to Miss Maria Vinard, and to them the following children have been born: Sanford W. H., Aaron, Mahala, Mary, Franklin P. and Andrew J. - all living. Mr. Wade is a member of the A. F. and A. M.
- WADE, William Harrison, farmer, section 13, P. O. Riverton; born in Highland county Ohio, June 6, 1818, where he resided until 1828, when he went with his father's family to Jay county, Indiana. His education was received in the common and subscription schools of his native state and the state of Indiana. Mr. Wade came to Iowa, October 23, 1865, locating in Fremont county, on section 13. He has filled the office of township trustee for three terms. Mr. Wade was married June 11, 1846, to Miss Maleva Racer, by which union the following children were born to them: Thomas J., Martin, Andrew J., Martha E. and Mahala, all living, and Mary J., deceased. This wife died in January 1859. Mr. Wade married for his second wife, Miss Susan A. Fletcher January 10, 1862. She died August 10, 1877. In March, 1878, he was married again, this time to Mrs. Susanah J. Swigley: Mrs. Swigley was married to her first husband August 15, 1853, by whom she had nine children, seven living.
- WILLIAMS, Alice, county superintendent of schools, P. O. Sidney; born in Madison township, Fremont county, December 29, 1851. Her father was Thaddeus Williams, the first county surveyor in Fremont. Miss Williams was educated in the common schools, in a select school at Hamburg, and spent one term at McGee College, Missouri. She has had an extended experience in the school room, having taught in the county for six years, in the grammar department of the Hamburg schools. She is, therefore, eminently fitted for the position to which she was elected in 1879, and in which she has demonstrated her ability. She was the joint nominee of the democratic and greenback county ticket, and by those parties elected to a position entirely unsolicited - and is the first lady superintendent the county ever had.
- WORCESTER, David, farmer and minister, section 35, P. O. Percival; born in Salem, Massachusetts, March 14, 1811, where he lived until 1836, when he moved to Buffalo, New York. After various removals and engaging in various business enterprises, he located in Sidney, Iowa, in 1853. In 1854 Mr. Worcester was married to Miss Parthemia McCroskie, by whom he had six children, five now living: Benjamin, Newton, Leonard, Harriet, Edward W., and Samuel D., the latter deceased. In August, 1862, Mr. Worcester enlisted in Company A, 29th Iowa infantry, being then fifty-one years of age. He followed his regiment during all its changing fortunes, and in 1865 was made chaplain of the same. Mr. Worcester has been a clergyman since 1843, and has been a most useful member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, serving as colporteur and missionary for a number of years. He is a carpenter by trade and has followed that occupation a number of years. He is a cousin to the author of Worcester's dictionary.
- WADE, Sanford, farmer, section 14, P. O. Sidney; born in Jay county, Indiana, April 30, 1838, where he lived until the spring of 1844, when he came to Fremont county with his father's family. He was educated in the common schools of Fremont county. He was married August 19, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth With, by whom he has the following named children: Dora, born July 5, 1862; Mina A., born July 5, 1867; Florence L., born December 4, 1871; Jefferson L., born March 19, 1874; Charles, born June 9, 1876; and J. B. Weaver, born January 19, 1880. Mr. Wade has filled several township offices, among which were clerk, and assessor. He is respected and universally esteemed and a man of the most sterling integrity.
- WILSON, James W., farmer, section 23, P. O. Anderson; born in Warren county, Ohio, September 28, 1831. Remained there until about two years of age, when he removed with his parents to Indianapolis, Indiana. In 1854, came to Fremont county, Iowa, and resided in Sidney until 1866, since which time he has resided on the farm now owned by him. He was one of the pioneers of Sidney, and has largely aided to make it what it is today. He was married in Indiana to Miss Lydia A. Morgan. They are the parents of five children: Fannie, Walter, Simon, Yandes, and William Wyatt. Owns 640 acres, nearly all tillible land.
- WHITE, H. H., farmer, section 23, P. O. Plum Hollow; born January 4, 1822, in Adair county, Kentucky, where he remained only until 1832, when he, with his father's family, became a resident of Indiana. Owing to the newness of the state at that day his educational advantages were very limited. In 1842 he went to Cass county, Missouri, and in 1847 to Illinois, where he remained until coming to Iowa in the days of the Mormon exodus. He came to Fremont county in 1855, and located on the farm he now owns, three years later. He was married November 23, 1843 to Miss J. E. Wolfe, a native of Tennessee. By this union there were born to them nine children, seven of whom are now living: George M., Mary E., Jacob A., William F., Jasper N., Jennette K., and Cordy M. All that Mr. White possesses is the result of a life of toil and economy, aided alone by his faithful wife.
- WEAVERS, George, farmer, section 6, P. O. Plum Hollow; a native of Cambridgeshire, England, born February 18, 1840. In 1849, came to the United States with his parents, who located in Columbiana county, Ohio. In 1850 they moved to McHenry county, Illinois, and in 1861, to Fremont county, Iowa. Mr. Weavers enlisted August 9, 1861, in company A, fourth Iowa infantry. He was severely wounded at Chickasaw Bluffs in December 1862. He was married in December, 1865, to Miss Susanna Hall, by whom he has four children: Hephzebah B., Georgiana, Nettie, and Alexander F. He owns 369 acres of fine land.
- WATKINS, Robert, farmer, section 23, P. O. Riverton; born in Wayne county, Indiana, 17 January 1812. His father moved to Randolph county when young Watkins was six years of age. Came to Iowa November 12, 1842, and located in Fremont county. Coming at so early a day Mr. Watkins has proved by experience what the word "pioneer" means. He was married in Delaware county, Indiana, February 9, 1832, to Miss Mary Gordon. There were born to them twelve children, of whom six are living: Elizabeth, Isabella, Mary Ann, Rebecca Jane, Nancey F., and Peninah Elzira. Mr. Watkins and his entire family are members of the Christian church.
- YOWELL, Moses R., county recorder, P. O. Sidney; born in the state of Illinois, September 27, 1850. In December of 1864 came to Fremont county, Iowa, and engaged in the printing business, working on the "Fremont Times", then published at Hamburg. In 1865 he came to Sidney, and found employment in the office of the "Sidney Union". In 1877 he purchased a set of abstract books and engaged in the real estate business until 1878, when he was elected county recorder on the Democratic ticket. He was re-elected in the fall of 1880 on the democratic ticket, when the county gave a republican majority of nearly three hundred, a fact which testifies both to his ability and popularity as a servant of the people. Mr. Yowell was married My 2, 1872, to Miss Manzilla Wilson, of Sidney, by whom he has three children: Imagene, Helen and an infant.