Fremont County, Iowa
Source: History of Fremont County, Iowa
(Des Moines: Iowa History Co., 1881)
Transcribed by Cay Merryman
BALDWIN, B. M., farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow; a native of Putnam county, Indiana, born February 7, 1840. In 1844 he moved to Holt county, Missouri, with his parents, and in the spring of 1852 came to this county. He was married August 12, 1860, to Miss Arcaetia Burson, by whom he had seven children, five now living: Oliver O., Charles, Edward, Lesley and Eva M. By energy and industry Mr. Baldwin has built himself a competency, commencing with nothing.
- BURSON, JOSEPH J., farmer, section 11, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Grant county, Indiana, July 6, 1834. He was raised as a farmer and educated in the subscription schools of his native state. He came to Fremont county in the spring of 1854, and in 1861 began the freighting business west to Denver. July 20, 1863, he enlisted in company A, Eighth Iowa cavalry. Was wounded July 29, 1864, and captured. He was in the hospital at Newman and Columbus, and finally taken to Andersonville. He was discharged June 24, 1865. He was married in February, 1853, to Miss Lydia Hyatt. They have two children living: William R. and Adda E.
- BAYLOR, RANSDALL, farmer, section 12, P. O. Plum Hollow; born on the 8th day of April, 1850, and now lives on the place of his birth. He was educated in Sidney and in Tabor College. He is the oldest son of John and Nancy Baylor, who came to this county, from Kentucky, at an early day in its history. They lived to witness the development and growth of the county in a way it has been the privilege of but few to do. His father died September 2, 1871, and his mother in December of 1880. There were 1120 acres of land divided among the surviving children at his death. The subject of this sketach is an enterprising farmer, and holds the highest place in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
- COLE, T. C., physician and surgeon, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Ripley county, Indiana, March 30, 1854. In 1858 he moved with his parents to Gentry county, Missouri, and in 1860 came to Fremont county. He was educated at Tabor College and the Iowa State University. In 1876 he began the study of medicine, and in 1878 graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa. He was married September 11, 1879, to Miss Mary E. Blakley, of Tabor, and educated also at the Iowa State University.
- CROUCH, M. V., mechanic, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Washington county, Indiana, December 14, 1836. In 1856 he came to the village where he now resides. He enlisted in company F, Fifteenth Iowa infantry, October 10, 1861, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, siege of Corinth, and all the other engagements in which his regiment took a part. He was discharged December 16, 1864, after a long and brilliant service for his country's flag.
- CHIPPS, JAMES, farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Monongahela county, West Virginia, March 27, 1846. In 1851 he moved to Appanoose county, Iowa, and in 1857 to Putnam county, Missouri. In 1864 he came to this county. He was married May 25, 1869, to Miss Elvira Johnston. They are the parents of three children: Annie M., Arthur and Albert W. Mrs. Chipps has four children by her former husband: Henry W., Hensley M., Mollie J. and Nancy B.
- CAREZ, F. F., M.D., P.O. Bartlett; born in the Empire of France, April 9, 1828. In 1833 he came to the United States, and located in Clark county, Indiana. In 1836, he went to Clay county, and in 1845 to Jackson county, West Virginia. He began to read medicine under Dr. Daniels, of Terre Haute, when fourteen years of age. In 1849 he graduated from the Sterling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio. In 1853 he returned to France to take a course in surgery, and became a member of the royal body of physicians and surgeons of France. In 1854 he returned to the United States and entered upon the practice of medicine until 1859 when he went to Sullivan county, Missouri. In April 1862, he enlisted in the Fifteenth regiment, M. S. M. and in the following year was transferred to the Forty-fourth Missouri, acting as a hospital steward. In 1869 he went to Buchanan county, Kansas, and in 1876 came to Bartlett where he now resides. He was married in 1855 to Miss Elizabeth Walter, who died in 1861, leaving one child: William S. He married March 5, 1863, Miss Nancy C. Nordike. They have one child living: Mary J. He is a competent physician and enjoys a large practice.
- CLARK, R. D., merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Tompkins county, New York, May 1, 1840. At the age of sixteen years went to Ithica and clerked in a store for nine years. Came to Plum Hollow in 1864. In 1867 began business in Tabor, which he followed until 1877, when he came to Fremont city to engage in the mercantile business. He was married October 17, 1863, to Miss Eliza Westervelt, by whom he has four children: Charles G., Westervelt E., Willis G. and Fred K. He is a man of great energy and moral worth, and holds the highest place in public esteem.
- FLETCHER, JAMES G., farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow. A native of Owens county, Indiana, born June 17, 1834. In 1840 his parents moving to Nodaway county, Missouri, he became a resident of that state. In 1851 he came to Fremont county. Enlisted in company A, 4th Iowa cavalry, September 8, 1862, and participated in all the numerous engagements of that regiment. Was independent scout for eighteen months under General Washburn. Was mustered out June 17, 1863. In 1866 moved to Holt county, Missouri, and in 1874 returned to Fremont. He was married August 26, 1855, to Miss Rachel Clemmens, by whom he has nine children, six living: Diola E., Euphrates C., William S., Mary E., Alfred H., and George H.
- FLETCHER, ABRAHAM, retired farmer, P. O. Fremont City; born in Washington county, West Virginia, February 22, 1800. His parents resided in Washington and Lee counties, until 1815, when they removed to Indiana. The father of Mr. Fletcher was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was married February 27, 1825, to Miss Rebecca Crouch, of Washington county, Indiana. In 1841 he removed to Nodaway county, Missouri. In 1851 he came to Fremont county, and located on the farm he now owns. He founded the village of Fremont City, and in June of 1856, built the first house in the place. Mr. Fletcher has been a justice of the peace for fifteen years. For sixty years he has been a member of the church, and has been for many years a local preacher. By his first wife he had ten children, four of whom are living: William H., James J., Rhoda and Elizabeth. He was married September 5, 1860, to Mrs. Sarah Syock, of Fremont county, formerly Miss Forley. They have one child, now deceased.
- FORNEY, GEORGE, farmer, section 13; born in Stark county, Ohio, September 25, 1820, where he was raised a farmer and educated in the common school. At the age of fifteen he went with his parents to Ray county, Missouri, where he remained until 1839 when he moved to Hancock county, Illinois. He was married July 26, 1839, to Miss Catherine Study, of Hancock county, Illinois. In 1846 they came to Fremont county and located near the site of Fremont city, being among the first to settle in Scott township. They are the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are now living: Margaret E., George E., Mary Ann, William L., David A., Elizabeth and Franklin. Mr. Forney died April 16, 1880, respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends.
- GRAVES, C. M., merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Crittenden county, Kentucky, August 7, 1844. In 1852 his parents came to Iowa, locating in Mills county. He enlisted August 13, 1862, in company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, and was discharged the same year for disability. In 1865 he came to this county. In 1867 he went to Cass county, Nebraska, and in 1870, returned to Fremont county. He was married January 23, 1866, to Miss M. J. Shaffer. They have four children; three now living: Laura B., Nellie E. and William H.
- GALLAP, J. C., furniture dealer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Erie county, New York, October 22, 1833. In 1838 he removed to St. Joe county, Michigan, where he was educated in the common school. At the age of sixteen years he started in life for himself. He came to Fremont county in 1857, where he has since resided. He enlisted in August, 1862, in company A, Fourth Iowa cavalry, the fortunes of which he followed to the end of the war. He was married January 1, 1861, to Miss E. E. Snow. They are the parents of three children; two of whom are living: John F. and Eva M.
- GALLAP, HIRAM, farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in the state of Michigan, January 10, 1840, where he grew to manhood, and received his education. When eighteen years of age he went to the gold regions of California and remained three years. Enlisted September 27, 1861, at San Francisco, in company K, second California volunteer cavalry. Was in eleven engagements, and for gallant conduct was promoted to be first duty sergeant; was discharged June 11, 1865, at Fort Laramie, Wyoming territory. He came to Iowa in 1873; he was married November 12, 1868, to Miss Marietta Wells, a native of Indiana. They have four children: Hattie L., Hiram C., Charles E., and William. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.
- GREER, WILLIAM, grain dealer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Donegal county, Ireland, September 30, 1833. Came to the United States with his parents in 1836, locating at Wheeling, West Virginia, where he grew to manhood and was educated. In 1856, he became a resident of St. Louis, Missouri, and in 1859 went to California, where he engaged in mining until 1866, when he returned to Wheeling. He remained, however, but a year, when in 1867, he came to Fremont county. He was married December 15, 1869, to Miss Emmaline Gray. Starting in life penniless Mr. Greer has accumulated his fortune through his single unaided efforts.
- GREENWOOD, JUDGE THOMAS, farmer, section 36, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, December 12, 1802. In 1805 he moved to Erie county, Pennsylvania, where his education was obtained. For some years he followed teaching, and in 1823 and 1824 engaged in the lumbering business. was married April 21, 1835, to Miss Eliza Brubaker, of Summerset county, Pennsylvania, where he resided until 1841, when he removed to Missouri. After several times changing his residence he came, in 1846, to Fremont county, locating at Pleasant Grove. In 1847, he was appointed Indian agent, with instructions to look especially after the Pawnee Indians. In 1851 he was elected county judge for four years, being the first county judge ever elected in Fremont. In 1866 he was elected probate judge, and filled the position for two years. He has four children living: Clara, Winfield Scott, Walter, and Thomas. Three other sons all died in the army, in the service of their country. A reference to the preceding pages of this volume will enable the reader to fully appreciate the invaluable services which Judge Greenwood has rendered the county of his choice.
- HARRIS, THEODORE C., merchant, P. O. Bartlett; born in Defiance county, Ohio, December 14, 1851. In 1857 he became a resident of Wisconsin, and in 1859 came to Fremont county, locating near Sidney. In 1875 he came to Bartlett and engaged in the mercantile business. He is a member of the A. F. and A. M. and of the I.O.O.F. He was married January 11, 1877, and is the father of two children: Myrtle and Maggie.
- HOLLOWAY, W. J., farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Adair county, Kentucky, November 2, 1821. In 1841 moved to Carroll county, Missouri, residing in that county, and Holt and Buchanan counties until 1852 when he came to Fremont county, Iowa. He was married in 1849 to Miss Mary E. Allison, of Holt county, Missouri, who died in 1870, leaving seven out of nine children: Flora J., John M., William J., Sarah E., M. M., Thomas S. and Lewis E. He was married to Mrs. Nancy Hoop, formerly Miss Thorp, in 1873. This wife died December 25, 1876, leaving one child, Charles.
- JOHNSON, J. N., farmer, P. O. McPaul; born in North Carolina, in 1814. At an early age he moved with his parents to Carroll county, Missouri, where he grew to manhood and was educated. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Battie, who died in 1847, leaving three children: Richard M., Alonzo F., and James M. He was again married in 1849 to Mrs. Nancy J. Johnson of Holt county, Missouri. In the spring of 1851 they came to this county and have since resided here. Mr. Johnson died October 8, 1866, leaving seven children: Henry A., Thomas M., Tabitha, Charles G., Lucien L., Levi and Sarah E.
- JONES, JAMES S., proprietor of Eagle Mills, P. O. Plum Hollow; is a native of Stuben county, New York, where he was born January 8, 1834. In 1852 went to St. Paul, Minnesota, and in 1855 started the first circular saw mill at St. Anthony's falls. In 1858 he became a resident of Potosi, Missouri; in 1860 of Lexington, and in 1861 of Washington county, Missouri. He was married in that county April 6, 1861, to Miss Amanda Wylie. In the fall of the same year he came to Fremont county. Enlisted in August, 1862, in company E, 29th Iowa infantry, and followed the fortunes of that regiment until sickness prevented further active service, and he was transferred to the 15th regiment, invalid corps. He was honorably discharged in September, 1865. He has by his marriage six children, five living: Charles E., Alice, Mary, Birdie, and Lattie. He has held the office of township school treasurer.
- KEELER, B. L., druggist, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Marion county, Indiana, August 5, 1845. In 1850 came to Fremont county, Iowa, with his parents, receiving his education in the common schools. In 1862-3 and 4, he followed the freighting business in Coloradeo, Utah, and Wyoming. In 1871 became a clerk in the county auditor's office, a position which he held for three years. In 1875 he moved to Fremont City and opened his present business. He was married February, 1863, to Miss K. E. Fitzsimmons, of Iowa City. they have three children: Minnie M., Ida M. and Earl.
- LUCAS, JAMES, farmer, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Sangamon county, Illinois, April 8, 1846. In 1851 he came with his father's family to this county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Was married November 19, 1865, to Miss W. J. Johnson, by whom he has six children: Cyrus M., Robert E., Christopher, Melvina, James O., and Myrtle M.
- MARTIN, T. P., farmer and stock raiser, section 35, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in North Carolina, February 24, 1828. In 1840 he moved to Platt county, Missouri. In 1846 he moved to Western Texas, in 1848 to Buchanan county, and in 1850 came to this county. He went in the same year to California. Since his return to Fremont county he has held numerous township offices. He was married November 7, 1855, to Miss Matilda Bobbitt, who died in 1863. By this union they had three children: Albert J., Victoria A., and Edwin P. He was married to Miss Bettie Samuels January 3, 1865, by whom he has three children: William R., Charles and Thomas O.
- McCLURE, J. D., farmer, P. O. Tabor; born in the state of Illinois, April 9, 1845. In 1848 moved with his father's family to Grayson county, Kentucky, and the year following to Gentry county, Missouri. He came to this county in 1863. He is a member of the Christian church, and an ordained evangelist. He has held several township offices, among others that of justice of the peace, which he filled four years. He was married July 8, 1864, to Miss Lucy Martin. they have four children living: William E., Saribrilda J., Charles S. and James A.
- McCARTNEY, MILTON, farmer, section 1, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Ross county, Ohio, January 8, 1828. In 1832 his parents moved to Marion county, Indiana, in which county and Crawford he resided until 1851, when he came to Fremont county. He was married February 11, 1851, to Miss Ellen Mansfield, of Crawford county, Indiana, who died in June, 1858. He was married February 18, 1863, to Mrs. Norris, formerly a Miss Paul, by whom he had four children: Carrie B., Herman A., Orman and Charles R. Mr. McCartney owns 1300 acres of excellent land.
- PAUL, D. M. F., retired merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, July 26, 1814. Was married to Miss Elizabeth Walton, of Washington county, Indiana, January 1, 1835. For twenty-one years he was engaged in the mercantile business in Horch Mills, Indiana. For twenty years he was postmaster at that place, and eight years justice of the peace. In 1857 Mr. Paul moved to Grand River, Worth county, Missouri, and engaged in the mercantile business for three years. In the fall of 1861 came to Fremont City, and for fourteen years engaged in various kinds of business in that place. He was the first mayor after the incorporation of Fremont City, and has held numerous other offices of trust. He is the father of eleven children, six of whom are now living: Mary A., Kasiah H., William R., Agnes C., Alice and Walton M.
- PAUL, WILLIAM R., merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Ripley county, Indiana, April 22, 1843. In 1857 he removed with his parents to Worth county, Missouri, and in 1860 came to Fremont county, Iowa. When eighteen years of age he enlisted in company A, Fourth Iowa cavalry, August 10, 1861, and followed his regiment through all its trying career. He was mustered out as sergeant August 10, 1865, having served just four years. Since his return home he has held numerous township offices, among them township clerk and recorder. He was married September 5, 1866 to Miss Martha Snow, by whom he has five children, all living: Nellie A., Charles R., Clarence V., Henry C., and Lillie M.
- RECTOR, FRED, farmer, section 15, P. O. Bartlett; born in Champaign county, Ohio, July 19, 1821. In 1827, his parents moved to Shelby county, same state, where his parents both died, within two days of each other. He returned to Ohio to live with an uncle, and in 1841, went again to Shelby county, to engage in milling. In 1849, came to Mills county, Iowa, and in the following year to Fremont. He held numerous township offices, and in 1855, was elected county judge, and again elected in 1861, to fill the same office. In 1868, he was a member of the state legislature, serving his county in that capacity for two years. He was four years a member of the county board, and, as the reader may have already gleaned from another page, was intimately connected with all the material growth of the county. He was married in 1843, to Miss Margaret Smith, who died in October, 1849. They had three children; two living: Mary E. and Benjamin. He married Miss J. Smith, a sister to his former wife, in 1853. they had three children: Viola F., Elmira J. and Ella. He married a third time, December 20, 1857, to Tabitha E. Wilson, by whom he had ten children; nine now living: Nancy C., Cinthia E., Tabitha A., Ida M., Josephine, Lilly, Frederick, Lorain and Essa.
- ROBERTS, W. R., merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Jackson county, Iowa, October 19, 1845. In 1859, his parents moved to Nodaway county, Missouri, and in 1862, to Taylor county, Iowa. Six years later, in 1868, they moved to Sidney, Iowa, where young Robert began to clerk in a store, until 1872, when he became one of the firm of King & Roberts. He was married September 30, 1869, to Miss S. L. Stockton, of Taylor county, Iowa, by whom he has four children: Lester E., Carrie P., Finis A. and James G.
- REEL, HIRAM F., merchant, P. O. Plum Hollow; is a native of Andrew county, Missouri, and was born June 8, 1844. His parents were among the early settlers of the county, coming to it in 1845 and locating at McKissick's grove. His father and brother were drowned in the Nishnabotany river at Argyle's ferry, while crossing in an overloaded boat. His mother died February 23, 1858, so at the age of fourteen years he was left an orphan, and dependent on his own resources. He enlisted in company A, fourth Iowa cavalry, September 3, 1861, and was mustered out August 10, 1865. He was married May 19, 1870, to Miss Maggie A. Paul, of Fremont City, who died June 14, 1880, leaving three children: Emer M., Gracie E., and Edith M. Mr. Reel has been a member of the M. E. church since fourteen years of age, and is now a class leader in the same.
- STEPHENSON, M. A., farmer, section 28, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Park county, Indiana, March 5, 1835. In 1840 he moved with his father's family to Missouri, where he was educated and matured. In 1862 he came to Fremont county. The years of 1863 and 1864, were passed in freighting to Denver. He has held numerous township offices. He was married September 5, 1857, to Miss Matilda Ramsey. They are the parents of nine children, six now living: Mary A., Maggie, Ella, Oscar, Porter and Omer. His fine farm comprises 444 acres, well stocked.
- SNOW, SIMPSON, farmer, section 3, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in the state of North Carolina July 30, 1797, and grew to manhood on a plantation. Filled various county offices until his removal to near St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1843. Came to Fremont county in 1850, where he resided until his death, August 19, 1859, leaving a widow and eleven children. He had married Miss Judith Dudley, April 16, 1837, a native of North Carolina. There are nine children living: Clarissa R., Mary A., Emily R., Martha J., Fielding, Janette, Victoria and William. Mrs. Snow is still living at the advanced age of 71 years.
- STUDY, LEONARD, contractor and builder, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Richland county, Ohio, May 6, 1829. In the spring of 1835 moved with his parents to Ray county, Missouri; in 1839 to Hancock county, Illinois, and in 1846 to Fremont county, Iowa. From 1852 to 1857 he resided in California and engaged in mining. In the last named year he returned to Fremont county. He was married September 2, 1855, to Miss Sarah E. Grove, formerly of Ohio. They are the parents of seven children, six living: Lissette H., Mary M., Barbara A., D. J., Walter, Clarence E. and Clara E. Mr. Study has held the office of township clerk, and was a member of the board of county commissioners.
- STUDY, DAVID, farmer, section 24; born in Richland county, Ohio, December 2, 1826. Went to Ray county, Missouri, with his parents in 1836, remaining until 1840, when he moved to Hancock county, Illinois. When nineteen years of age he enlisted in the Mexican war in company A, Mormon battalion, and followed that company through all its varying features. He spent a number of years at various mines in California. In 1849 he came to Fremont county and May 28th of that year, was married to Miss M. Ettleman, formerly of Ohio. They are the parents of seven children, six living: Elizabeth B., Phebe Jane, Mary C., Leonard C., Henry and Catherine E.
- TAYLOR, JOHN, miller, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Fayette county, Indiana, March 12, 1819. His parents both died when he was a small child. In 1838 he learned the cooper's trade; which occupation he followed in Ohio and Indiana for eight years. Came to Fremont county in the fall of 1857, locating near Sidney. In the following year he came to Fremont City, built a mill and has been engaged in that business since. He was married January 10, 1851, to Miss Nancy Burson, of Grant county, Indiana. They have three children: Geo. W., an attorney and Annie J. and Emmazetta, both teachers.
- WOODRUM, W. M., farmer, section 34, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Putnum (sic)county, Indiana, April 2, 1836. In 1844 his parents moved to Jasper county, Missouri, and in 1854 came to this county. He was married to Miss Eunice A. Seward, February 12, 1862. They are the parents of five children: Otto D., Orpheus C., Francis L., Mary S. and Laura R.
- WORD, J. H., merchant and grain dealer, P. O. Bartlett; born in Pulaski county, Kentucky, December 4, 1847. In 1857 he moved with his parents to St. Joseph, Missouri. In 1864 he went to Madison county, Montana, where he engaged in stock raising until 1874, when he returned to St. Joseph. In 1877 commenced the mercantile business, in Bartlett. He is a man of great energy and good business qualifications.
- WILSON, JOHN, farmer, section 22, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Muskingum county, Ohio, November 4, 1812, in which state he resided until 1855, when he came to Fremont county. He was married December 31, 1837, to Miss Hannah Antrim, who died December 29, 1850. She was the mother of eight children, three now living: William, Isaiah and Mary E. He again married February 8, 1855, to Miss Eliza A. Poor. They are the parents of eight children, five of whom are now living: John L., Sarah J., Francis M., Thomas E., and Louisa J. He now owns 600 acres of land, all gained since coming to this county.
- WEBB, S. C., farmer, section 10, P. O. Plum Hollow; born July 16, 1816 in Harford county, Indiana, where he grew to manhood and was educated. He began to learn the carpenter's trade before his fourteenth year, which business he followed until 1850, when he engaged in farming. He came to Iowa in September, 1864, and located on the farm he now occupies. He was married June 10, 1839, to Miss J. Street, by whom he had eight children, five now living: Watt, Elizabeth, Margaret, Lorenzo and Louisa (twins). He was married a second time, June 10, 1875, to Mrs. Esther A. Irwin, a native of Highland county, Ohio. She married Thomas Irwin, and by him had two children: Mary E., and Robert D. Mr. Irwin was killed in the army May 21, 1862. Mr. Webb is an old settler in the county, and has contributed not a little to its growth and development.
- YOUNG, J. J., M.D., P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Montgomery county, Illinois, November 28, 1832. He was raised on a farm and educated in the Lutheran College of his native county. He graduated at the Eclectic Medical Institute, of Cincinnati, and commenced the practice of medicine in Worth county, Missouri, in 1857. In 1861 he was appointed surgeon to the 31st Missouri regiment of volunteers. In 1862 was elected a member of the legislature. In 1865 came to Plum Hollow. He was married August 18, 1853, to Miss Cynthia Granthaus, who died March 3, 1855, leaving one child: Cynthia. Was again married April 7, 1861, to Miss R. Enochs, of Gentry county, Missouri, by whom he had one child, deceased.