Franklin co. IAGenWeb Franklin county & community Histories

Popejoy

~*~*~

Popejoy is located in Section 22 and is a station on the Rock Island Railroad. On September 28, 1880 it was platted by the Cedar Rapids, Iowa Falls & Northwestern Town Lot Company per President C. J. Ives and E. S. Ellsworth, secretary as Carleton.  Later the name was changed to Popejoy.  In 1908 is was incorporated. The 1910 census reported population of 200. A postoffice was established June 19, 1888 with J. W. Finch appointed as the first postmaster. Other postmaster appointed: M. E. Mathews, July 23, 1890; J. W. Finch, May 11, 1893; J. H. Popejoy, October 3, 1894; Edwin P. Finch, January 17, 1896; Annie A. Gordon, November 15, 1897; Robert L. Mendell, April 29, 1901; John E. Carr, March 11, 1907; William S. Kent, September 26, 1910; James H. Popejoy, February 27, 1912.  The Bank of Popejoy, a private financial concern, was established in 1896. Officers were: President - G. H. Jameson; Vice President - J. E. Carr; and Cashier - A. F. Iverson.


 

 

~*~*~

Return to:

History Index

Home

This page was created 12/10/2015
2015 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.