Franklin co. IAGenWeb Franklin county & community Histories


The station of Hansell was built in about 1873 when the Dubuque and Dakota railroad (later to be known as Chicago Great Western) was first mapped through this region. Hampton line was finish in 1876.  The town was named for George W. Hansell who became the first postmaster. Post Office established in 1880. Called Hansell's for a time in honor of him but the "s" was later dropped. Hansell was platted in the fall of 1880 and by summer of 1881 covered 15 acres.

George Hansell built one elevator in 1880. Capacity was 14,000 bushels. In 1882 he built the 2nd one for 20,000 bushel capacity. Hansell also carried on a lumber and stock business, and erected a large store building in 1883. The Union Ridge post office, established in 1860 with Isaac Stover as postmaster, was moved to the homes of the succeeding postmasters, and moved to Dumont when the railroad came through. When the Hansell post office was established in 1880, the Cream Hill post office was discontinued.


                                                                                                                                    History Index