Franklin co. IAGenWeb  Franklin County & Communities History



Geneva is situated on section 19 of Geneva township and was laid out and platted in September 1871, by William J. McVey. Obadiah Smith was the surveyor. In 1903 the village of incorporated as a town and the census for 1910 gave the place a population of 199.

H. C. Clock was the first person to engage in business in the town. He came to Geneva in September 1871, and on Nov 1 opened a store. He had been in the merchandise business in Maysville, the preceding ten years. His new stock of goods here was installed in a building which he had erected, the dimensions of which were 22 X 26 feet and two stories in height.This structure later was covered with galvanized iron and was painted to resemble brick. Mr. Clock is the pioneer of Geneva, still active and giving his time and attention to many business affairs. After the railroad was built Mr. Clock paid $760 and certain of the farmers $740 as a bonus to the railroad company for a sidetrack and depot. John Strain and William J. McVey each gave five acres of land for depot. The Geneva House was built by H. C. Clock. The original structure was a schoolhouse. In 1875 he sold the property to A. P. McCardle, who later turned it over to Mr. Clock, who conducted it until spring of 1881, when Charles L. Canfield became proprietor. Since his day, the Geneva House has been under the management of different people.

Doctor Tidd and Mr. Silence opened a drug store in Geneva in 1880, continuing the partnership for 1 year when Dr. Tidd became sole proprietor and maintained the business for many years, together with his practice.

John D. Parks was the first to engage in the hardware trade, commencing business in 1875 in a building erected for the purpose. He was succeeded by his son, George, who sold to J. A. Waddington, who is still in business.

Joseph Kulas opened a boot and shoe store and a cobbler shop in 1878.

 George Thompson started the first exclusive grocery store in 1877. He sold out his goods to Fred Steiner, in March 1880.

Joseph Fuchs opened a wagon shop in 1882; George Johnson a blacksmith shop about the same time. M. Burns was the first lumber dealer. He opened a yard in 1871, continuing therein until 1872 when he sold out to H. C. Clock. Mr. Burns was also the pioneer grain dealer. After H. C. Clock acquired the business the firm H. C. Clock & Brother built an elevator in 1875, with a capacity of 6,000 bushels.

A post office was established near Geneva in 1858 and among the early postmasters was William H. Thompson. After Geneva station was established, H. C. Clock was appointed the postmaster and held the office many years.

The first school building erected in Geneva was built about 1872 and was used for the purpose until another one took its place. The old building was moved and became part of the Geneva House.


                                                                                                                                            Home Index