History of Franklin
County, Iowa by I. L. Stuart. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub.
Transcribed by Don Turner, former coordinator of this website.
Homer T. Page
One of the progressive and active business men of Geneva is Homer T. Page, connected with the firm of H. T. Page & Company, proprietors of a large grain elevator. Mr. Page is a native of Franklin county, born in Geneva township, January 9, 1872, a son of John H. and Mary M. (Meeker) Page, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Illinois. The parents came to Iowa in 1868 and located in Geneva township, Franklin county, where the father engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in March, 1910. His wife survives him and makes her home in Geneva. Seven children were born to their union: Charles E., of Denver, Colorado; Julia M., the wife of K. L. Clock, of Fort Lupton, Colorado; Arthur L., of Creston, Iowa; Homer T., of this review; Cora E., deceased; Fred E., of Des Moines; and Nellie, the wife of E. A. Luke, of Reeve township.
Homer T. Page was reared in Geneva township, acquiring his education in the district schools, beginning farming at sixteen years of age. He remained connected with agricultural interests until 1910, when he formed a partnership with H. W. Iblings, of Minneapolis, forming the firm of H. T. Page & Company. This concern now owns an elevator in Geneva and controls a large and growing patronage.
Mr. Page married Miss Mary Bell, a native of
Wisconsin, and they have become the parents of three children:
John C., born March 26, 1901; Stewart A., born June 1, 1903; and
Ella M., born March 16, 1906. Mr. Page is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church and is connected fraternally with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Mystic Workers of the
World. His political support is given to the republican party,
and he has been township trustee and school director, serving
with credit and ability in both positions. He is a man of
exceptional enterprise and keen business insight, and his
progressive spirit will undoubtedly win for him an enviable
position in commercial circles of the community.
George F. Parkinson
George F. Parkinson is one of the prosperous farmers of Franklin county, where he owns a valuable property in Morgan township. He was born in Hardin county, Iowa, October 18, 1860, and is a son of Samuel and Elmina (Stephens) Parkinson, the father born in England and the mother in Illinois. Samuel Parkinson came to America in 1850 and located in Ohio. Thence he went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and then to Iowa Falls. From the latter city he came to Morgan township, where he resided for a number of years, passing the remainder of his life in California, where he died in April, 1910. His wife now makes her home in Los Angeles, that state. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Parkinson had six children: Annie, the wife of George C. Gibson, of Los Angeles, California; George F., of this review; William S., of Los Angeles; Florence, who married J. D. Thompson, of Pasadena, California; Alice, of Los Angeles; and Edith, deceased.
George F. Parkinson remained under the parental roof until twenty-nine years of age. He received his education in schools near his father's home and subsequently gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, assisting his father until he bought two hundred and fifty-seven acres on section 31, Morgan township. He has greatly improved his place, has erected modern buildings and has his land in a high state of cultivation. He engages in general farming and also gives considerable attention to stock-raising. His farming venture is entirely profitable, and he has since also acquired a quarter section of land in the state of Kansas.
On December 21, 1886, Mr. Parkinson wedded Miss Minnie
Rice, a native of Winneshiek county, this state, and to
this union were born four children: Merle L., born October 5,
1888, of Los Angeles, California; Fay Alton, September 15, 1891,
at home; Alfred Clarence, born August 28, 1893; and Edith
Winifred, who married Roscoe Robinson, of Belmond, lowa. Mr.
Parkinson is a republican. For five years he has been a school
director and fraternally belongs to the Modern Woodmen of
America. The career of Mr. Parkinson is proof of the fact that
ambition is the key of success, for he has always been ambitious,
industrious and energetic. He is one of the foremost
agriculturists of Franklin county and the prosperity that has
attended his efforts has come to him in well merited return for
Edward Smith Patterson
Edward S. Patterson
The history of Edward Smith Patterson has become an integral part of the annals of Hampton, because of his business prominence and enterprise and his active and helpful connection with public affairs. He seemed to readily recognize the opportunities for growth before the city, and he instituted various measures productive of general good.A native of Ireland, he was born in County Cavan, in the year 1844, and when fourteen years of age crossed the Atlantic to the new world, making his way to Wisconsin, where he turned attention to merchandising. For a time he was engaged in business with his brothers at Delavan, Wisconsin, and subsequently at Beaver Dam, but afterward established business on his own account in Clinton, Iowa. In 1874 he came to Hampton, where he opened a general dry-goods store, calling it the Shanty. He was associated with a partner, K. S. Cole, but this connection was eventually dissolved. In the meantime he had erected a brick business block. There are two pillars in the center of his store which are the only iron pillars that have ever been manufactured in Hampton, for the foundry in which they were made failed and the business was discontinued. At the time of building the store Edward Smith Patterson planned to enlarge as the growth of his business would permit and in so doing, by using the iron pillars imbedded in the brick wall, made the building sufficiently strong to sustain the weight of the second story which was added years later. This is but one instance which might be cited, of his sagacity. His business grew and developed and has been enlarged from time to time until the store is now the largest in Hampton.
Mr. Patterson died February 20, 1911, but his widow still survives and makes her home in Hampton. He not only became the leading merchant of the city, but was also a most prominent factor in public affairs and twice filled the office of mayor, discharging the duties of the position in a prompt, reliable and businesslike manner. His name was connected with various movements and events which had to do with the welfare and progress of the city. Where he led others followed, for his fellow townsmen came to recognize his sound judgment and his public spirit.
Mr. Patterson was united in marriage to Miss Athaline
Cook, a native of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and unto them
were born three children: Henrietta, now the wife of H. G.
Northey, of Waterloo, Iowa; George D.; and John W., who was born
March 5, 1885, and died May 9, 1896. Mr. Patterson was a
prominent Mason, having attained the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite, and in his life he exemplified the beneficent
principles of the craft, following at all times its teachings
concerning mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness. A shadow of
deep sorrow fell over the hearts of many when Edward Smith
Patterson passed away, for his worth had become widely recognized
and his many admirable traits of character had endeared him to
those with whom he had been associated.
George D. Patterson
George D. Patterson
George D. Patterson is one of the alert, energetic and wide-awake business men and merchants of Hampton and Franklin county, and his name is also well known in financial circles. Thoroughness characterizes everything that he undertakes, and he possesses sufficient courage to venture where favoring opportunity leads the way, so that his determination and even paced energy have carried him into important relations.
Mr. Patterson was born in this county, March 4, 1881. He attended the public schools of Hampton and was graduated from the high school with the class of 1900. He later became a student in the Cedar Rapids Business College, where he completed a course in 1902. He afterward joined his father in business and after thorough training was admitted to partnership in 1907. He now greatly appreciates the discipline and training to which his father subjected him in his youth. He taught him first the necessity of having a thoroughly clean and attractive establishment and on his entry into the store the son was given charge of that part of the business. His next training was in the direction of courtesy to patrons, and he was instructed to engage in conversation with waiting customers until a salesman could reach them. It was a proud day for him when he was permitted to sell goods over the counter, and when he had learned to do that successfully he was initiated into the work of buying, in which his father first superintended his efforts, giving him points on dealing with salesmen and impressing upon him the necessity of understanding different textiles and the manufacture of cloth. His father bought him books of instruction along that line and had him visit the mills in person. Having made a deep study of the question of manufacturing, he next directed his efforts to the broadening of trade in connection with his father's establishment, and again good results attended his labors, so that in 1907, feeling that his son was now thoroughly qualified for the responsibilities of managing the store, the father admitted George D. Patterson to a partnership, and since his father's death he has been active manager of the business, which is, today the most important mercantile enterprise of the city. A large and carefully selected line of goods is carried, and the utmost attention is paid to the personnel of the house and to the treatment of patrons.
In addition to his other interests, Mr. Patterson is connected with banking institutions, being a director of the Franklin County State Bank and three other banks in the county.
On the 16th of September, 1908, Mr. Patterson was united in
marriage to Miss Florence M. Snyder, and unto
them were born two daughters: Florence Irene, born July 1, 1909;
and Georgia, born July 25, 1913. In politics Mr. Patterson is a
republican and has been a member of the city council. He never
neglects the duties of citizenship and at all times is ready to
cooperate in any movement for the general good. Fraternally he is
connected with Anchor Lodge, No. 191, A. F. & A. M., of which
he is a past master; and, with Anchor Chapter No. 69, R. A. M.,
in which he is now king. He belongs to the Congregational church
and at all times has been actively and helpfully interested in
the intellectual and moral, as well as the material and political
growth of the community.
George C. Patton
George C. Patton, a retired farmer living in Hampton, was born in Wisconsin, June 18, 1857. He is a son of Daniel and Sarah (Gapen) Patton, natives of Pennsylvania, who moved to Franklin county in 1870, among the earliest settlers in this part of Iowa. The father became very prominent in public affairs, serving as a member of the state legislature for a number of years. He died March 15, 1909, having survived his wife since March 15, 1903. To their union were born six children: George C., of this review; Ruth, deceased; Moselle, who has also passed away; Frank L., of Hampton; Belle, the wife of Scott Harner, of Rockford, Illinois; and Fred S., of Mott township, this county.
George C. Patton's entire active life has been spent in farming. In 1882 he purchased four acres of land in Mott township, to which he added steadily year by year until he finally accumulated two hundred and forty acres, which he still owns. In 1902 he bought another tract of ten acres near Hampton and lived upon this until 1912, when he sold the property and built a fine home in town, where he has since resided.
On the 28th of September, 1880, Mr. Patton was united in
marriage to Miss Sarah Jane Scott, a daughter of
Henry and Sylvania (Deuel) Scott, the former a native of Ohio
and, the latter of New York. They came to Franklin county in
1867, and the father engaged in farming here until his death,
which occurred March 4, 1903. His wife passed away December 6,
1902. They had eight children: Lucy, the wife of James Cloon, of
Goodell, Iowa; Oscar, of Buffalo, Missouri; Fremont, of Bolivar,
Missouri; Sarah Jane, wife of the subject of this review; Clara,
who married Charles Wimberly, of Bolivar, Missouri; Alice, the
wife of James McCombs, of Lynn, Washington; and Eugene and
Ernest, both of Bolivar, Missouri. Mr. Patton is a member of the
Baptist church and gives his political allegiance to the
republican party. He is serving at the present time as supervisor
and has proved an efficient and practical public official. He was
for many years one of the leading agriculturists of Franklin
county and enjoys and merits the esteem and confidence of the
Henry Paullus has been connected with agricultural interests of Franklin county since 1891 and his success is demonstrated in the fact of his ownership of an excellent property of one hundred and ninety-four acres on sections 19 and 20, Mott township. He was born in Wisconsin, August 9, 1868, and is a son of Fred and Elizabeth (Kaus) Paullus, natives of Germany. In their family were fourteen children, of whom seven have passed away.
Henry Paullus began his independent career when he was twenty-three years of age, renting one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in Scott township, this county. The next year he rented two hundred acres in Wisner township and operated this for two years, after which he purchased his present property on sections 19 and 20, Mott township. He has since engaged in general farming and stock raising upon this property, which he has, provided with modern buildings and excellent machinery, the entire place reflecting his able management and careful supervision.
On February 24, 1892, Mr. Paullus married Miss Emma Menning, a daughter of John and Barbara (Stopple) Menning, natives of Bavaria, Germany, who after their arrival in America located in Wisconsin, whence they moved to Franklin county, Iowa, in 1870. The father was born September 24, 1827, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Koenig) Menning, also natives of Bavaria. After he arrived in Franklin county he settled on section 13, Marion township and on the 9th of April, 1872, purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land there. He and his wife became the parents of nine children: John; Michael; George A.; Margaret; Elizabeth; Barbara; Fred H.; Andrew; and Emma C., wife of the subject of this review. Mr. and Mrs. Paullus became the parents of eight children: a son who died in infancy; Fred J.; George H.; Myrtle R.; J. C.; Evelyn E.; Ethel V.; and a child as yet unnamed.
Mr. Paullus is a member of the Christian church. He gives his
political allegiance to the democratic party and has served in
various township offices. He has lived in Franklin county for
many years and during that time has risen to a high place in the
ranks of progressive agriculturists and useful citizens.
Thomas Pearse, carrying on general farming and stock-raising upon the old Pearse homestead in Geneva township, was born in Ontario, Canada, January 8, 1850. He is a son of James and Jane (Reynolds) Pearse, natives of England, whose marriage occurred in Canada. They came to the United States in 1871 and located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where they spent a year and a half. At the end of that time they moved to Franklin county and purchased land on section 7, Geneva township, the father afterward engaging in agricultural pursuits until his death. His wife has also passed away. To their union were born nine children: a daughter, who died in infancy; William, of Marshalltown, Iowa; Hannah, who died in 1874; Jeffrey, of Geneva township; Thomas, of this review; John of Cherokee county; James, who died February 28, 1908; and George and Stephen, both of Geneva.
Thomas Pearse acquired his education in the district schools of Geneva township and in Albion Seminary, Marshall county, where he spent two terms. After he laid aside his books he turned his attention to farming, following this in the employ of others for two years. About the year 1885 he bought eighty acres of land in Geneva township and cultivated this property for a number of years. He afterward gave it in part payment for the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, and upon this latter property he now resides, giving practically all of his attention to its improvement and development. There is an excellent set of buildings upon the farm and the entire property is in good condition, for the owner is a practical and able agriculturist.
On the 2d of March, 1882, Mr. Pearse married Miss Hannah Rubee, a native of Wisconsin and they have become the parents of two children. The elder Velma, is a graduate of the Hampton high school and attended Cornell College and is now teaching in the district schools of Franklin county. Rubee J. was graduated from Hampton high school and also from Cornell College and afterward taught in the high school in Colfax, Washington, for two years. He is now a student in Harvard University, where he is taking a course in landscape engineering.
Mr. Pearse is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and
connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. His
political allegiance is given to the republican party, and he is
now serving as assessor and member of the school board. He is one
of the progressive farmers of Geneva township, identified with
its growth and development and well known in Franklin county as
one of its public-spirited citizens.
Mr. & Mrs. Frank Pekarek
Frank Pekarek, a prosperous and progressive agriculturist of Franklin county, who has been for many years prominently connected with farming interests of Geneva township as the owner of the Maple Grove Farm, is a native of Bohemia, born December 25, 1837. He is a son of John and Kate Pekarek, who lived and died in their native country. Three children were born to their union: Frank, of this review; Annie, deceased; and John.
Frank Pekarek was reared in Bohemia and there acquired his education. In 1867 he came to America and settled first in Wisconsin, where he remained for three years. He afterward moved to Iowa, spending a similar period of time in Marshall county, whence he came to Franklin county, where he engaged in railroad work for seven years. At the end of that time he bought forty acres of land in Osceola township and after developing this for nine years bought his present farm of two hundred acres, on sections 28 and 33, Geneva township. This property is known as the Maple Grove Farm and Mr. Pekarek has managed it practically and intelligently, making it in the course of time one of the finest farms in his locality.
Mr. Pekarek married Miss Mary Kopacek, who died September 23, 1868, leaving a daughter, Annie, now the wife of Patrick Ryan, of Kalamazoo, Michigan. After the death of his first wife Mr. Pekarek married Miss Josephine Kudge and to this union were born twelve children: Charles, of Geneva; Joseph, of Minnesota; Mary, the wife of John Seikart, of Ackley, Iowa; Sophie, who married William Seikart, also of Ackley; Kate, the wife of L. Thomas, of Geneva; Emma, who married G. Bolander, of Rockwell City; Frank, of Iowa Falls; John E., at home; Albert, of Geneva; Ella, who married F. Thomas, of Geneva; Edward, of Minnesota; and George, of Geneva.
Mr. Pekarek is a member of the Roman Catholic church and gives
his political allegiance to the republican party. He is one of
the early residents of Franklin county, identified for many years
with agricultural interests, and he has won a degree of success
which places him among the representative and valued citizens of
Hans H. Petersen
Hans H. Petersen needs no introduction to the readers of a history of Franklin county, for he is well known as one of the most prosperous and progressive agriculturists in Richland township. He owns one hundred and fifty-one and a half acres of land on sections 6 and 7, and in its cultivation has met with a gratifying measure of success. He was born in Schleswig, Germany, December 1, 1862, and is a son of Peter and Anna Petersen, both of whom were born in Schleswig when that province was under Danish control. They made their homes there until their deaths.
In order to avoid his term of service in the German army Hans H. Petersen came to America, settling in Warren county, New Jersey, where he joined his brother, Henry, who had crossed the Atlantic ten years before. He spent two years working in a blast furnace and nail factory there and then came to Iowa, securing a position on a farm in Cerro Gordo county, where he worked by the month at seventeen dollars and a half a month. Later he and his brother bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Cerro Gordo county, farmed it for five years and then sold the place. Mr. Petersen of this review then came to Franklin county and purchased his present farm of one hundred and twenty acres on sections 6 and 7, Richland township, where he has since engaged in general farming and stock-raising. He has replaced all of the old buildings by substantial modern ones, has fenced his fields and installed modern machinery. The farm is today a productive and valuable property, and Mr. Petersen holds a high place in the ranks of progressive and successful agriculturists.
In Cerro Gordo county Mr. Petersen married Miss Maria
Juhl, a native of Schleswig, born June 13, 1854. She is
a daughter of Hans P. and Christina Juhl, both of whom died in
their native province. Mr. Petersen is a member of the Lutheran
church and gives his political allegiance to the republican
party. He has held the office of school director but is not
active politically, preferring to concentrate his attention upon
his business affairs, in which he is meeting with well deserved
Peter Petersen & family
A man whose energy, enterprise and ambition carried him through early struggles against poverty and hardship and have brought him today to a position among the leading agriculturists of Franklin county is Peter Petersen, who owns and operates a fine property of two hundred acres in the northeast quarter of section 6, Richland township. He started upon his active career empty-handed and has steadily worked his way upward to success. He was born in Denmark July 31, 1859, and is a son of Nels and Caroline (Bertelsen) Petersen, the former born May 31, 1838, and the latter December 10, 1834. The parents came to the United States in 1881 and lived upon a farm in Franklin county until the father retired from active life. They then moved to Thornton, Iowa, where they now reside. In their family were eight children: Peter, of this review; Soren, a large landowner in Franklin county, living retired in Thornton; Annie, the wife of Peter Sorensen, of Cerro Gordo county; Nick, a resident of Platte, South Dakota; Ella, the wife of Henry Beck, of Thornton, Iowa; Lena, who married Nick Ytsen, of Wisner township, this county; and two who died in infancy.
Peter Petersen spent his boyhood in his native country and acquired a public-school education there. He came to the United States in 1879 and went immediately to Dakota territory, where he worked by the month for a year and a half, receiving ten dollars a month. From this salary he saved enough money to bring his parents to America. He came to Franklin county in the fall of 1880 and here worked as a farm laborer for about three years, after which he rented a farm in Wisner township for two years. At the end of that time he was able to make his first purchase of land, buying the northeast quarter of section 31, Pleasant Valley township, in Cerro Gordo county. From 1884 to 1892 he made his home upon this property and then disposed of it, buying the farm which he now operates. This comprises two hundred acres on section 6, Richland township, Franklin county, and is one of the most attractive and valuable farms in the community. It was only slightly improved when it came into Mr. Petersen's possession but is now in a high state of cultivation, provided with a good set of buildings and excellent machinery. Mr. Petersen follows the most practical methods in the conduct of his property, and his success places him in the front ranks of progressive farmers.
In Franklin county, July 4, 1883, Mr. Petersen married Miss Anna
Christina Holm, who was born in Denmark, July 10, 1862.
She is a daughter of Nels Jacob and Hannah Holm, the former of
whom has passed away. The mother makes her home in Denmark. Mr.
and Mrs. Petersen became the parents of seven children: Nels M.,
who lives at home; Katie June, the wife of Axel Juhl, of Cerro
Gordo county; Annie, Mary and Soren, at home; Nels, who died in
infancy; and Lena, who passed away in 1913 at the age of
twenty-three. Mr. Petersen is a member of the Lutheran church and
gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He is one
of the progressive and substantial farmers of this county, and
his success is the more creditable to him since it has been
gained entirely through his own efforts. He is well and favorably
known in his locality, his upright life having always commanded
respect and esteem.
Fred Plagge, a practical and representative agriculturist of Franklin county, owning and operating seven hundred and twenty acres of choice land in Marion township, was born in Hanover, Germany, June 23, 1864. He is a son of Fred and Louisa Plagge, also natives of Germany, both of whom have passed away.
Fred Plagge was reared in his native country, acquiring his education in the public schools. In 1887 he came to America and settled in Franklin county, Iowa, where in 1890 he purchased land. He bought one hundred and sixty acres in Marion township and to this has since added from time to time until he owns seven hundred and twenty acres. This farm is highly improved and in excellent condition, showing the results of the care and labor its owner has bestowed upon it.
Mr. Plagge has been twice married. He wedded first Miss Louisa
Dohrman, by whom he had three children: Emma and Louis,
at home; and Ida, deceased. On the 3d of March, 1899, Mr. Plagge
wedded Miss Lena Marz, a native of Germany, and
they became the parents of eight children: Martin, who has passed
away; and Emil, Fred, Walter, Metta, Esther, Wilbert and
Clarence, all at home Mr. Plagge is a member of the Evangelical
church and a republican in his political views. As a resident of
Marion township for twenty-three years he has been loyal in his
advocacy of everything pertaining to the welfare of the city and
has made some substantial contributions to its development and
John I. Popejoy
John I. Popejoy was not only one of the earlier pioneers of Franklin county but one of the foremost men of the times. Not only was he a large landowner but prominent in business and financial circles. When he died, December 24, 1896, there passed away one of those who had promoted the prosperity and who had made possible the civilization which is enjoyed by the present generation. Mr. Popejoy was born in Jeffersonville, Fayette county, Ohio, February 10, 1824, and was a son of Edward and Martha (McGarry) Popejoy. The father, a native of Virginia, was reared in Kentucky. It is indicative of the few opportunities which existed at that time for an education that he was only taught to read and to write after his marriage. In 1854 he came with his son, John I., who was then about thirty years of age, to Franklin county and located on section 26, Oakland township. The father was one of three men to subscribe to the first schoolhouse in Oakland township, giving thereby evidence of how much value he placed upon the acquirement of an education, and how important a factor he considered such an education toward a successful career. To Edward and Martha (McGarry) Popejoy were born the following children: Elizabeth, deceased; Fannie, the late wife of Mathias Benson, of Ohio; Alvina, the wife of John Conner, of Ohio, deceased; John I.; and Martha, who married John Hensley, of Ohio.
John I. Popejoy was the first settler in Oakland township. After coming here with the family he engaged in the cattle business and was very successful along that line. He gave his sole attention to his business and prosperity attended his efforts. In 1895 Mr. Popejoy owned sixteen hundred and forty acres of land in Oakland township. He extended his interests to other enterprises and at one time was president of the Farmers Exchange State Bank at Dows and also held the executive position in the Popejoy Bank at Popejoy. At the time of his demise his land possessions totaled four thousand acres. These vast holdings give an indication of the great contributions which Mr. Popejoy made toward agricultural standards in Franklin county. He was thoroughly imbued with modern ideas and could ever be found among the first men to introduce new and progressive measures as long as he was convinced of their usefulness. Mr. Popejoy's success should be a lesson to young men, as he showed what can be accomplished through a life of labor and by intelligently applied energy and good business sense.
On October 24, 1849, Mr. Popejoy was married to Miss Frances Sophia Pearson, who was born on December 17, 1828, at Hopkinton, New Hampshire, and was a daughter of Moses and Mary (Kimball) Pearson. Her mother, who was a cousin of Daniel Webster, was born in Henniker, New Hampshire, December 22, 1784, and was married to Moses Pearson, October 28, 1813. In 1840 they removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, where they remained for three years and then went to Fayette county, that state, where Mr. Pearson died September 4, 1847. His widow then made her home with her eldest son, Horace Pearson, until the spring of 1856, when she came to Franklin county, Iowa, and lived with her youngest child, Mrs. Popejoy. Here she died on the 25th of September, 1875.
To Mr. and Mrs. Popejoy were born seven children: Mary E., widow of Lucien R. Fobes; Virginia E., the wife of J. H. Gilger, of Alden, Iowa; Florence, at home; Frances J., the widow of Frank A. Thayer, who was state representative at the time of his death; Edward P., at home; Ethel, who married H. J. Eastman, of Oakland township; and J. Horace, of Popejoy.
Lucien R. Fobes, the husband of Mary E. Popejoy, was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, and died November 6, 1907. He came to Iowa in 1863, locating in Franklin county. During the Civil war he enlisted, and time and again gave evidence of his public spirit in effective administration of various township offices. For some time he was president of the Iowa State Bank at Dows. Fraternally he was a Mason and also belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic.
Mr. Popejoy of this review always stood high in the esteem of
his fellow citizens. He was ever ready to contribute materially
or lend his support to public enterprises of worth, and many
movements which turned out to be of great value to Franklin
county found their inception in him or were brought to a good end
through his efforts. Particularly did he contribute toward
agricultural improvements and it is but just that in return for
his labors and energy fortune should have come to him. He was one
of the most extensive landholders in Franklin county at the time
of his death and a kind Providence bestowed wealth upon him in
the eternal justness of her acts. Not only was Mr. Popejoy,
however, rich in material resources but he was rich in an
honorable name and rich in friends who esteemed him at his true
worth. Such men as he have made the middle west the home of the
greatest industry in America--that of farming--and have helped to
make this nation what it is today--the greatest nation on the
J. C. Powers, M. D.
Dr. J.C. Powers
In the history of the medical profession mention should be made of J. C. Powers, an able physician of broad learning, who is seldom, if ever, at fault in the diagnosis of a case and who discharges his professional duties with a sense of conscientious obligation. He was born in Butler county, this state, November 24, 1868, a son of Milton I., and Ella E. (Manley) Powers, the former a native of New York and the latter of Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa in the year 1867 and the father, who was a physician, engaged in active practice in Butler county for thirty-five years. He was a graduate of the Massachusetts University at Boston of the class of 1861 and was a learned, capable man, ever faithful in the performance of his professional services. Both he and his wife passed away in Hampton, the former in December, 1902, and the latter in July, 1907. In their family were two sons and a daughter: J. C., of this review; Milton I., who is vice president and cashier of the Citizens Bank of Flagstaff, Arizona; and Jennie, the wife of Dr. H. C. Hunter, of Meford, Utah.
Liberal educational opportunities were given Dr. J. C. Powers, who was a student in the Iowa State University at Iowa City and is a graduate of Rush Medical College of Chicago, being numbered among its alumni of 1897. Whether inherited tendency or natural predilection had most to do with his choice of a profession it is impossible to determine, but it is evident that the choice was made wisely and well. He opened an office in Hampton, where he has remained for sixteen years and throughout this period he has given practical demonstration of his ability to cope with the intricate problems which continually confront the physician in his efforts to alleviate sickness and suffering and restore health. He is one of the directors and the vice president of the Franklin County Bank and is president of the Purcell Printing Company and the Hampton Mercantile Company. Thus he is an active factor in commercial and industrial as well as professional circles, and it is a recognized fact that his judgment is sound, his discrimination keen and his enterprise unfaltering.
Dr. Powers has been married twice. He first wedded Alice
R. Seymour, who died leaving one child, Ella Marie. The
Doctor has adopted a boy named Allen Linn. Dr. Powers was married
November 21, 1901, to Emma Haas, formerly
superintendent of the Minneapolis City Hospital. Fraternally he
is connected with the Masons, in which order he has attained high
rank, being now a member of the Mystic Shrine. He also has
membership with the Knights of Pythias and with the Modern
Woodmen of America. His religious faith is that of the
Congregational church. He has a wide acquaintance in this part of
the state, and his circle of friends is almost coextensive
therewith. He conforms his practice closely to a high standard of
professional ethics and enjoys the confidence and goodwill of his
1914 Biography Index
This page was last modified on November 14,
©2006 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.