N & O
History of Franklin
County, Iowa by I. L. Stuart. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub.
Transcribed by Don Turner, former coordinator of this website.
Knudt Nelson was born in Norway but found here in America the opportunities for an independent career. He is an agriculturist of Franklin county, owning a farm in Oakland township, and also has property interests in Wright county. Mr. Nelson was born on the 8th of February, 1845, and is a son of Nels and Caroline Nelson natives of Norway. Both crossed the ocean, making their way to the middle west, settling in Wisconsin, where they passed away. They had six children: Henry, of North Dakota; Helga and Thomas, deceased; Knudt, our subject; Johanna, who married Knute Oleson, of Hardin county; and Carrie, deceased.
Mr. Nelson after coming to this country enlisted from Monroe, Wisconsin, in Company A, Forty-sixth Wisconsin Infantry, for service in the Civil war. This was in the year 1865, and he served until the conflict ended. He then returned to Wisconsin, where he remained for one year, at the end of which period he made his way to Minnesota, making that state his home for three years. The year 1875 marks his arrival in Franklin county, where he located in the southeast part, buying eighty acres of land in Morgan township. Upon selling that he secured title to one hundred and sixty-six acres, but again disposed of his interests and bought fifty-seven acres in Oakland township on section 6. He also owns forty-seven acres in Wright county. He devotes his land to general farming and has been quite successful in his efforts as a farmer.
On March 11, 1882, Mr. Nelson was united in marriage to Miss Inger Oleson, a daughter of William and Inger Oleson, natives of Norway, who had nine children: Betsey, the widow of A. Ingebretson, of Franklin county; Ole, of Morgan township; Michael, of Franklin county; Cynthia, deceased; Sweiden, of South Dakota; Inger, the wife of our subject; Elizabeth, who married O. Paulsen, of New Hampton, Iowa; Mary, the wife of Albert Hagerson, of Minnesota; and a son, who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Nelson have fourteen children: Nels, at home; Oscar, of Fort Dodge, Iowa; Samuel, at home; Lena, the wife of Arthur Lewis, of Austin, Minnesota; Isabelle, of Iowa Falls; William, at home; Eda, the wife of W. Benwitch, of Franklin county; Amos, Clara, Martha, Alma, Mamie, Herbert and Raymond, at home.
Mr. Nelson is highly respected in Oakland township, where he
has made many friends who all esteem him for the high qualities
of his character. He is a republican and staunchly votes for the
candidates and measures of that party. His religious faith is
that of the Lutheran church. Although a Norwegian by birth, Mr.
Nelson has become in thought and ideal a patriotic American and
is a public-spirited citizen who gives his support to all
measures that make for the progress and advancement of the
township and the county.
Since 1892 Jacob Neuberger has owned and operated a fine farm of two hundred acres on section 25, Osceola township, and in the conduct of his interests has won that success which always follows earnest and persistent labor. He was born in Germany, May 19, 1852, and is a son of John and Lena Neuberger, natives of Germany. The father came to America in 1869 and located in Freeport, Illinois, where he passed away at the age of eighty-two, having long survived his wife who died when thirty-nine years of age. To their union were born seven children: John, a resident of South Dakota; Katherine, the widow of J. Groshans, of Germany; Eva, who married A. Eichhorn, of Freeport, Illinois; Jacob, of this review; Kate, the widow of Mike Sessler, of South Dakota; Peter, also a resident of South Dakota and Mike, of Illinois.
Jacob Neuberger emigrated to America at the age of seventeen
and settled in Illinois, where he remained for about a year and a
half. At the end of that time he moved to Iowa and there spent
the years 1870 and 1871. Afterward he returned to Illinois and at
the end of seven years came again to Iowa. He settled in Ackley
and in 1892 purchased two hundred acres of land on section 25,
Osceola township, a property upon which he has since resided. He
engages in general farming and also raises and feeds stock, this
proving a profitable branch of his business. In all of his work
he is energetic and determined, brooking no obstacles that can be
overcome by persistent and honorable effort, and his farm is
today a visible evidence of his life of industry and thrift.
Jens H. Numelin
Jens H. Numelin, who since 1910 has been connected with the Interstate Lumber Company of Coulter as manager, was born in Denmark, June 11, 1880. He is a son of Jens and Marie (Windelow) Numelin, also natives of Denmark, where their deaths occurred. In their family were the following children: Jensina and Agnes, of Denmark; Wilhemina and Johannah, deceased; Regina and Marius, of Denmark; Jens H., of this review; and Hans Peter, also of Denmark.
Jens H. Numelin acquired his education in the public schools of his native country and when he laid aside his books learned the shoemaker's trade. Afterward, however, he turned his attention to the hotel business. In 1899 he came to America and settled in Franklin county, this state, where he engaged in merchandising until 1910, when he was made manager of the Interstate Lumber Company at Coulter. This responsible position he still holds and he discharges its duties in a way which reflects credit upon his industry, enterprise and business discrimination.
On the 30th of September, 1903, Mr. Numelin was united in
marriage to Miss Martha Hanson, and they have
become the parents of four children: Walter, Helen, Arnold and
Esther. Mr. Numelin is a member of the Lutheran church. He gives
his political allegiance to the republican party and is now
serving in a capable manner as a member of the school board. He
is a young man of energy, ambition and enterprise and he will
undoubtedly be carried forward into still more important
relations with business interests of the community.
Among the enterprising and successful agriculturists of Morgan township, Franklin county, is Emil Oleson, a native of Sweden, where he was born April 1, 1874. He is a son of Olaf and Inga (Johnson) Oleson, both natives of that country, where the father passed away. The mother crossed the Atlantic and is now living in Iron Mountain, Michigan. They were the parents of seven children: John, of Dows; Emil, our subject; Malvina, the wife of Gust Erickson, of Iron Mountain, Michigan; Lydia, who married Joel Axberg, also of Michigan; a son, who died in infancy; Ellen, the wife of Charley Anderson, of Michigan; and Samuel, also of that state.
Emil Oleson early began life's active work. At the age of twelve he undertook to do farm labor and until eighteen years of age was so engaged. He then came to Dows, where he was successful as a renter, acquiring the means which enabled him to buy in 1907 the one hundred and twenty acres of land on section 10, Morgan township, which he now owns and upon which he engages in general farming and stock-raising. He is progressive and up-to-date and has made valuable improvements upon his farm. His buildings are in good repair, and his property bespeaks by its appearance the prosperity of its owner.
The marriage of Mr. Oleson to Miss Ada Erickson occurred on December 21, 1897. She is a daughter of John Erickson, who is mentioned at greater length in another part of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Oleson had six children: John V., deceased; and Claud Milford, Edna Alida, Floyd Randolph, Inez Christina and Arnold J.
Mr. Oleson is not only a successful agriculturist but a public
spirited citizen, who takes an interest in all matters that
affect the public welfare. He is interested in the cause of
education and serves on the school board of Morgan township. He
is a member of the Free Mission church, which he supports. Mr.
Oleson stands high in the estimation of all who know him, not
only for what he has accomplished, but for those qualities of
mind and character which have led him to prosperity.
Lars L. Oleson
Lars L. Oleson, the owner of a well improved farm located in Morgan township, is a native son of Franklin county, his birth having here occurred on September 5, 1875. His parents, Ole L. and Mary (Hanson) Oleson, were natives of Wisconsin and Norway, respectively. In their family were thirteen children: Nellie, the wife of William Donaldson, of Alden, Iowa; Mary, who married J. Jacobsen, of Dows; Ole, of North Dakota; Lars L., of this review; Amanda, the wife of S. M. Davis, of Clarence, Iowa; Oscar, of Morgan township; Henry, of Wright county; Martha, the wife of L. Barnhardt, of Dows; Louis F., of Oakland township; Andrew and Caroline, of Popejoy; Matilda, the wife of L. Carpenter, of Minnesota; and Laura, deceased.
Lars L. Oleson at the age of fourteen took up farming, having then terminated his school education. In 1899, when about twenty-four years of age, he acquired title to eighty acres of land on section 14, Morgan township, and has since given his sole attention to its cultivation. His farm betrays by its prosperous appearance the modern methods employed by its owner. Mr. Oleson has now a two-story home conveniently appointed, and the other buildings on the land are equally modern. He also has erected a silo which furnishes him the desired amount of feed during the winter season.
On October 28, 1897, Mr. Oleson wedded Miss Mary
Rasmussen, a native of Monroe county, this state, and a
daughter of Andrew and Sophia (Anderson) Rasmussen, natives of
Denmark. The parents came to Franklin county when Mrs. Oleson was
but two years of age. Both have passed away. Their children were:
Clara, the wife of W. Caster, of Gifford, Iowa; Hannah, who
married F. Anderson, of Morgan township; Peter, deceased; Mary,
the wife of the subject of this review; and Anna, who married
Oscar Oleson, of Morgan township. Mr. and Mrs. Oleson have three
children: Lawrence W., born May 1, 1898; Bernetta, born July 1,
1903; and Laverne, born January 28, l912. The parents are members
of the Lutheran church and interested in its work and its allied
societies. Both are popular in the neighborhood and have many
friends. Mr. Oleson is a republican and has ever upheld the
candidates of his party. For one year he served as treasurer of
the local telephone company, showing himself to be an able
business man. He takes an interest in all affairs of a public
character affecting the welfare of the township and is a
public-spirited citizen. Personally Mr. Oleson is well liked, not
only for what he has achieved, but for those qualities of
character which have made possible his success.
Claude F. Osborne, M. D.
Dr. Claude F. Osborne
While engaged in general practice, Dr. Claude F. Osborne has specialized to a considerable extent in surgery and keeps in touch with the most advanced methods and the latest scientific investigations. He was born on the 15th of March, 1877, at Clear Lake, Iowa, the son of a retired farmer, George Osborne, and Anna (Booth) Osborne, who are now living at Hanlontown, Worth county, Iowa. The father was born in Jones county, this state, in 1851, and made farming his life work, continuing actively in agricultural pursuits until his retirement a few years ago.
Claude F. Osborne is one of a family of seven living children. In early life he attended the public schools of Clear Lake and afterward spent four years as a student in Nora Springs Seminary and two years in the State University at Iowa City. He was also for two years a student in the medical department of the State University of Illinois, which is the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of Chicago. There he graduated with the class of 1900, his thorough training well qualifying him for the onerous and responsible duties of life. He first located for practice in Aredale, Butler county, where he remained until 1906, when he came to Hampton, where he has since remained, building up an extensive practice. While he is still known as a general practitioner, he has more and more largely specialized in the field of surgery and is continually attending clinics in Chicago and elsewhere so as to keep in touch with the latest scientific methods of operation. His knowledge is broad, comprehensive and accurate and his ability is manifest in the splendid results which have followed his surgical work. One of the old-time physicians of the county said: "He will shortly be the leading physician and surgeon here if he isn't already." Such is the opinion of his brethren of the profession who recognize the power that native and acquired ability has given him.
On the 1st of October, 1900, Dr. Osborne was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Lang, of Clear Lake, a daughter of Frank and Julia Lang, the father a prominent retired farmer of this section of the state. Dr. and Mrs. Osborne have one child, Gail M., born June 1, 1904.
Dr. Osborne holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and
the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Politically he is a
republican, but is too busy with professional duties to give much
time to politics. In association with Dr. Powers he has
established a private hospital in Hampton and is doing more
surgery in the city than all the other physicians together. He is
modest and unassuming in manner, but with most commendable
ambition is striving to reach the top of the profession, prompted
by a sense of obligation toward his fellowman in his efforts to
alleviate suffering and check the ravages of disease. He never
speaks boastingly of what he has accomplished, being willing that
his reputation should be established by the report of his fellow
citizens, and the consensus of public opinion now places him
among the eminent representatives in the practice of medicine and
surgery in Hampton and this part of the state.
1914 Biography Index
This page was last modified on November 14,
©2006 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.