History of Franklin
County, Iowa by I. L. Stuart. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub.
Transcribed by Don Turner, former coordinator of this website.
August H. Hackbarth
August H. Hackbarth was born in Germany, August 12, 1845. He is a son of Frederick Hackbarth, who came to this country in 1870, locating in Wisconsin. He was successful along agricultural lines and died in October, 1892, his wife having preceded him many years, passing away when August H. Hackbarth of this review was but twelve years of age. To them were born six children: Anna, who married William Hackbarth, of Wisconsin; August H.; Charles, who lives retired in Chicago; Amelia, deceased; Caroline, deceased; and one, who died in infancy.
August H. Hackbarth began his independent career in the lumber business when seventeen years of age, along which line he was active for about two years. He then took up farming and in 1869 came to Morgan township, where he acquired title to three hundred and twenty acres of land on section 23. He has been quite successful in his farming pursuits, having developed a valuable property from wild prairie land. At the present time he retains but forty acres, having given the rest of his land to his children.
Mr. Hackbarth was united in marriage to Miss Elvina Hackbarth, a native of Germany, who passed away July 16, 1912. To this union were born fifteen children: William H.; Frank, Albert and Henry, of Morgan township; Edward; Emma, who married H. Rankin, of Morgan township; Lydia, the wife of R. Brager, of Minnesota; Theresa, at home; Friebert, Fred and John, at home; Ernest, of Morgan township; and three, who died in infancy.
Mr. Hackbarth is a republican, staunchly supporting the principles of that organization and giving his vote to its candidates. He has been prominent in the public life of Morgan township, having served as a trustee, as school director, justice of the peace and also as school treasurer. He has always been interested in all movements undertaken in order to promote growth and development along material as well as moral and intellectual lines. He is a devoted member of the Evangelical church, in the work of which he is much interested. Mr. Hackbarth is honored by all who know him for the high qualities of his character, and he stands high in the confidence of his fellow citizens.
Frank H. Hackbarth
Frank H. Hackbarth is a prosperous farmer of Morgan township, Franklin county, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land on section 23, all highly improved. He was born in Wisconsin, September 7, 1869, and is a son of A. H. Hackbarth, of whom more extended mention is made in another part of this work. Frank H. Hackbarth was educated in the district schools, attending near his father's farm, and he remained with the latter until he was twenty-three years of age, when he bought eighty acres on section 23, Morgan township, to which he has since added forty acres. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, and his labors return him a gratifying income. His farm by its appearance portrays the prosperity of its owner, and he has installed there the most modern machinery and has made a number of excellent improvements. His buildings are kept in good repair and his fields are in a high state of cultivation.
On July 19, 1893, Mr. Hackbarth was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Capellen, a daughter of Henry Capellen, of whom more extended mention is made in connection with the biography of E. H. Capellen in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Hackbarth of this review had six children, as follows: Lee G., born March 28, 1895; Leta Edna, born March 8, 1897, who died a few days later, on the 16th of the same month; Lester Edwin, born May 9, 1898; Floyd Frank, born October 2, 1903; Daniel Harold, October 25, 1905; and Verlynn Dallas, born July 24, 1911.
Mr. Hackbarth now serves as clerk of Morgan township and ably discharges his duties in that position. He also has been for some time on the school board. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and in his religion is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hackbarth is highly respected by all who know him, as one of the representative citizens of Franklin county.
Lewis E. Haecker, M. D.
Dr. Lewis E. Haecker, Jacqueline (Heiker) Haecker & Barbara Haecker
In a record of the medical profession as represented in Franklin county it is imperative that mention be made of Dr. Lewis E. Haecker, who by individual merit and ability has worked his way steadily upward in his chosen calling and has become recognized as one who with notable skill, combats the onslaughts of disease. Dr. Haecker was born at Cottage Grove, Wisconsin, November 17, 1863, and is a son of Henry and Barbara (Drohman) Haecker the former a native of Germany and the latter of Switzerland. When fourteen years of age Henry Haecker came to America and settled at Cleveland, Ohio, and on the 17th of November, 1864, he arrived in Iowa, taking up his abode in Franklin county, two miles north of Hampton. He was a farmer, engaging in agricultural pursuits throughout his entire life. He was deeply interested in politics and kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day yet never sought nor desired political preferment for himself. He died in Hampton in October, 1895, while his wife passed away in July, 1901. They were pioneer settlers of the county, having come here when the work of development and progress had scarcely been begun. They lived to witness many of the notable changes which have been brought about and were always loyal and progressive citizens. In their family were eleven children: Emanuel and John D., both now deceased.; Theopolis L., for many years professor of animal industry in the State University at Minnesota; Lydia, the wife of Charles Beed, of Hampton; Christina, the wife of T. H. Rose, of Oklahoma; Theodore and Mary, both now deceased; Charlotte, the wife of Henry Andrews and a resident of Hampton; Elijah D., of Hampton; Lewis E.; and Emma Delle, the wife of C. F. Johnston, of Sheffield, Iowa.
Lewis E. Haecker spent the days of his boyhood and youth under the parental roof, being but a year old on the day when the family arrived in.Franklin county. He continued to assist in the work of the farm through his minority and at twenty-three years of age left home. Realizing the value of education and wishing to enjoy further opportunities in that connection he entered the Albion Seminary when twenty-three years of age, devoting a year to study in that institution and during that time covered a two years' course.
He afterward spent four years in Nebraska, after which he reurned to Hampton. While in Nebraska, where he went originally for the benefit of his health and where he was miles away from neighbors, he had on several occasions the opportunity to' display something of his inventive genius and his mental resourcefulness. At that time he had secured no education along medical and surgical lines but on two occasions, when accidents happened and there was no chance to secure the services of a physician, he set fractured bones, although he had never seen a splint. The physician when later called, could find no fault with the dressing and strongly advised Mr. Haecker to take up the profession of medicine, which he later did. Following his return to Hampton he taught school during the winter seasons and attended Rush Medical College of Chicago until graduated with the class of 1894. He spent thirteen months as intern in the Alexian Brothers Hospital of Chicago and then located for practice in Hampton in June, 1895. Here he has since remained and his ability has gained him wide recognition. He is a thorough student, constantly reading along broadening professional lines, while experience also adds to his skill and ability. After a few years' practice in Hampton, Dr. Haecker become recognized as the leading physician of the city and it was only on account of his great sorrow and deep bereavement when he lost first his beloved daughter and later his wife that he for a time practically retired. It is a matter of gratification to all of his old-time and later patrons that he has resumed his practice, which no doubt will soon gain its former proportions. He is widely known for his ability in surgery and is constantly experimenting with his two X-ray machines in detecting diseases and fractures, becoming regarded as an expert in this line.
On the 7th of May, 1894, Dr. Haecker was united in marriage to Miss Josephine L. Heitman, a Franklin county girl, although the wedding was celebrated in Chicago. The death of Mrs. Haecker occurred March 6, 1913, to the deep regret of her many friends as well as her relatives. The only daughter of this marriage, Barbara, died on the 8th of July, 1911, and the loss was an irreparable one to her devoted parents. She was a most beautiful, lovable child but fifteen years of age at the time of her death. Every possible effort had been made by her parents to save her, but all to no avail. At the funeral services Dr. De Witt Clinton said: "The wisest of Kings wrote a poem in which he represents his bride as saying, 'My beloved is gone down into his garden to gather lilies.' A recent interpreter makes a parable of this, figuring the Lord as coming down to earth and selecting the choicest specimens of our race and often the beautiful bud half opened, to transplant them to His paradise to bloom forever. Such a lily was Barbara Haecker, just blossoming into young womanhood, fifteen years of age, frail, beautiful, pure, of fragrant influence and memory Hers was a beauty of face and mind. She had a taste for the beautiful in nature and art. She loved only the best in literature and recoiled from that which lacked naturalness and genuineness. Hers was a beauty of character shining in her countenance and giving a grace to her mariner that attracted particular attention wherever she went. Hers was the beauty of a white, soul in its simplicity and innocence, over which would play at times the flush of indignation at the recognition of evil."
A memorial article written of her said, "Barbara. was a remarkable girl, inasmuch as hers was a dual nature in which was combined the sweetness, tenderness and peace of childhood and the wisdom and judgment of older age. The vista that opened before her extended far. In early years she harbored conceptions which rang true to life. Justice and charity were inborn traits. To hear people criticised harshly and unwarrantedly grated on her fine sensibilities and she was not slow to chide those who might err in this regard. Evidently, by that intuition that so often is associated with the feminine, she understood that conditions which are not easily changed mold the characters of men and women. For her age, she possessed a wonderfully philosophical mind and her power of discernment was bright as a crystal. Sophistry found less lodgment in her mind than it does in the minds of the majority of those who are called grown up. She had come to understand that cause and effect give birth to circumstances and thus she paid homage to the laws of the Creator. She was the child's friend, particularly the poor child's friend, and the simple, crumpled flowers--flowers without stems, but-which bore the aroma of love--that were brought to the door by soiled hands, were a more precious tribute than a greenhouse could produce."
Such a life leaves behind it a memory that is more precious than untold wealth--an inspiration through all the years to come. In religious faith Dr. Haecker is a Methodist, while his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and with the Modern Woodmen. He has a wide acquaintance in Franklin county, where almost his entire life has been passed, and the Circle of his friends is an extensive one, owing not only to his professional ability but also to his personal worth, which inspires admiration and warm regard.
Asbury Theodore Hamilton
Asbury Theodore Hamilton, a representative of a well known pioneer family of Franklin county and today one of the progressive and successful farmers and stock-raisers of Hamilton township, was born January 1, 1874. He is a son of Andrew and Jane (Stockdale) Hamilton, natives of Ireland and pioneers in Hamilton township, this county, the name having been given to the township in their honor. They located on section 25 in 1856 and the father afterward engaged in agricultural pursuits for many years. He died in Iowa Falls, Iowa, at the age of eighty-four and is survived by his wife. To their union were born eleven children: Charles, Robert, William and Frank, residents of Iowa Falls; Jess, of Kenawa, Iowa; Arthur, deceased; A. T., of this review; Lllly M., of Iowa Falls; Maggie, who has passed away; a daughter, who died in infancy, and John C., of Iowa Falls.
T. Hamilton acquired his education in the district schools of Franklin county and later attended Ellsworth College at Iowa Falls for three years. Following this he took charge of the homestead in Hamilton township, carrying on general farming and stock-raising upon its two hundred and twenty acres until 1903. He then bought one hundred and eighty-six acres in Reeve township and has operated this farm since that time in conjunction with the Hamilton homestead in Hamilton township and one hundred acres on section 36, Hamilton township, which he owns. In 1913 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in Grant township, upon which he has a renter. He is an extensive stock breeder and dealer, shipping many carloads of cattle annually. He is especially interested in breeding thoroughbred registered Durham cattle. His interests are intelligently managed and have brought him a gratifying degree of prosperity.
On the 16th of January, 1904, Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Grace L. Bird a native of Franklin county and a daughter of Robert and Jane (Oxford) Bird, natives of Ohio and Indiana respectively. Mr. Bird was a pioneer farmer of Franklin county and now resides retired in Marshalltown, Iowa. Mrs. Bird died in 1899. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are the parents of four children: Helen T., Lillian L., Howard A. and Elizabeth J. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist church, while Mrs. Hamilton is a member of the Christian church. He is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. He was formerly a director in the Bradford Savings Bank and is a stanch republican in his political views. In matters of citizenship he is progressive and public-spirited and in business capable and farsighted, and his record is a credit to a name that has long been held in high honor and esteem in Franklin county.
Frank L. Hamilton
Frank L. Hamilton, a prominent stock-raiser of Franklin county, owning and operating two hundred and forty acres of excellent land on section 3, Lee township, was born in Hamilton township, this county, April 27, 1868. He is a son of Andrew and Jane (Stockdale) Hamilton, after whom Hamilton township of this county was named. More extended mention of the parents is found elsewhere in this work.
Frank L. Hamilton acquired his education in the public schools of Franklin county and at the age of twenty-one began working on a farm belonging to his uncle, Charles Stockdale. He afterward farmed one of his father's properties in Franklin county for one year and then enrolled as a student in Ellsworth College, remaining there for a year and a half. At the end of that time he resumed his farming operations in Franklin county and in 1893 bought two hundred acres of land in Lee township, and to this he has since added forty acres and upon this property makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock. He does an extensive business along this line, his animals commanding a high price and a ready sale on the market.
On the 29th of November, 1899, Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage io Miss Minnie Reynolds, a native of Hardin county, and they have become the parents of four children: Millard, who was born September 3, 1901 ; Phyllis, born August 16, 1904; Hazel, born March 27, 1907; and Kenneth, born March 7, 1910. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Mystic Workers and the Fraternal Bankers. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, and he has rendered his township excellent service in the offiqe of school director. He is a man of high character, industrious, progressive and enterprising, and his many sterling qualities have gained him the confidence and respect of his neighbors.
Ole Hansen, cashier of the Coulter Savings Bank and well known in financial circles of Franklin county, was born in Denmark, May 4, 1857. He is a son of Hans and Mattie Christine Olesen, also natives of Denmark, who came to America in 1875 and located on a farm in Hamilton township, this county. The father died in 1907 and the mother has also passed away. To them were born three children: Carrie, the wife of Nels Peterson, of Coulter; Ole, of this review; and Hans P., of Hamilton township.
Ole Hansen came to America when he was a young man and at the age of twenty-three years established himself in mercantile business in Dows, Iowa. At the end of two years he located on a farm in Morgan township, Franklin county, and after operating this property for six years sold it and removed to Latimer, where he was engaged in the hardware and implement business. At the end of five years he bought a farm in Scott township, but sold this after one season and returned to Latimer, where he was for four years in the hardware business, later dealing in furniture and general merchandise. In 1902 a branch of the Citizens Bank of Hampton was established in Coulter and Mr. Hansen was connected with that institution for three years. At the end of that time the Coulter Savings Bank was organized and he was made cashier, a position he still holds. He has proven able and reliable and is regarded as an excellent financier, whose judgment is sound and whose sagacity is far-reaching.
On the 26th of June, 1879, Mr. Hansen was united in marriage to Miss Annie C. Johansen, a native of Denmark, and they have become the parents of seven children: Theodore, a general merchant in Rowan, Iowa; Hans O., assistant cashier in the Coulter Savings Bank; John, at home; Martha, the wife of J. H. Numelin, of Coulter, manager of the Interstate Lumber Company; Thomas C.; Walter; and Agnes.
Mr. Hansen is a member of the Lutheran church. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and was for one term, mayor of Coulter, giving to the city a progressive and straightforward administration. His business affairs are carefully conducted and his substantial worth makes him a valued citizen as well as a progressive business man.
Norway has furnished many valuable citizens to the United States and particularly agriculturists have found this country a large field of opportunity. Carl Hanson is among those who have come from the land of the midnight sun and have become well-to-do in following farming pursuits in the middle west. He now owns two hundred acres of highly improved land in Morgan township, and his financial independence must be largely attributed to his sturdy characteristics of honesty, industry and energy. He was born in Norway, April 16, 1853, and is a son of Hans and Rosa (Windrom) Hanson, both natives of the Norseland, where they passed Away. They had three children: Bertha, who is the wife of Ole Gunderson, of Wisconsin; Carl, of this review; and Annie, who married William Bear, of Hardin county, this state. The mother, after the death of her first husband married Paul Soerum, and to this union was born one daughter, Mary, the wife of Hans Hansen, of North Dakota.
Carl Hanson acquired his early education in his native country, but at the age of fourteen was sent by his mother to an uncle in America in order to grow up among the opportunities afforded in the west of this great country. His uncle was subsequently killed by Indians in Minnesota, and Mr. Hanson worked largely at farm labor in that state and Wisconsin until thirty years of age, He then came to Franklin county, Iowa, where he bought eighty acres of land in Oakland township, which he cultivated for four years. Gratifying returns attended his labors, and he then acquired title to a quarter section in the same township, upon which he remained until 1902, when he purchased one-half section on section 34, Morgan township. Mr. Hanson immediately set himself to the task of improving his land and has erected thereon a number of substantial buildings. He now owns two hundred acres which yield him rich harvests. He engages in general farming and stock-raising and always follows the most modern methods.
On January 1, 1878, Mr. Hanson wedded Miss Gertrude Gardaland, a daughter of Ole and Gunnell (Flatigar) Gardaland natives of Norway. The father died there, and the. mother passed away in Wisconsin. They had eight children: Annie, deceased; Henry, of Oakland township; Ole, deceased; Mrs. Gertrude Hanson; Julia, who married Iver Larson, of Wisconsin; Christie, the widow of Thomas Elefson, of Thompson, Iowa; Erick, of the same place; and Benjamin, of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson of this review have three children: Henry O., of Albert City, Iowa; Gunnell, who married Edward Evans, of Morgan township; and Benjamin R., at home.
Mr. Hanson is a republican and has held several township offices. He always interests himself in public affairs and not only has become a prosperous agriculturist but a valuable American citizen. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church, in which they take a deep and lasting interest. Mr. Hanson on his mother's side is descended from the French. Her grandfather for seven years participated in the great French wars at the beginning of the century and also served for four years in the war between Norway and Sweden. A brother of this grandfather was taken a prisoner by Turkish pirates and kept in captivity for two years. However, he made his escape from prison and with four others succeeded in making his way back. to Norway. The record of Mr. Hanson would not be complete without this bit of family history, which shows him to be descended from two of the leading races of Europe, however different they may be in their characteristics. It is evident from his character and his success that he combines in himself the best qualities of both.
William H. Harrison
A valuable farm lying on section 17, Ingham township, is the property of William H. Harrison and its excellent condition is a visible evidence of his life of industry and thrift. He was born in Pennsylvania, April 19, 1866, and is a son of Charles and Anna J. (McKernan) Harrison, natives of Ireland. The parents came to America in 1852 and located in Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Butler county, Iowa, in 1868. In 1871 they came to Franklin county and located on a farm on section 17, Ingham township. Here both passed away, the father dying in 1900 and the mother in 1910. To their union were born three children: William H., of this review; Charles, a resident of Ingham; and R. M., of Hampton.
William H. Harrison was reared on his father's farm and acquired his education in the district schools. When he was twenty-five years of age he rented the homestead and operated it until after his father's death, when the property was divided, William H. Harrison receiving as his share one hundred and sixty acres. He has since increased his acreage, now owning over two hundred acres, and upon the property has carried forward the work of cultivation along practical and progressive lines, making the farm one of the finest and best managed in this locality.
On the 25th of January, 1893, Mr. Harrison was united in marriage to Miss Etta Horner, a native of Franklin county, and they have become the parents of three children, Gale B., Kenneth W. and Lucile Irene.
Mr. Harrison is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Knights of Pythias. He gives his political support to the republican party and has served as township assessor and trustee. He stands high in both business and social circles and .well deserves mention as one of the representative agriculturists of Franklin county.
Jud A. Hartgraves
Since 1879 Jud A. Hartgraves has been connected with agricultural interests of Franklin county and is today justly accounted one of its most active and progressive farmers and stock breeders. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 25, Ingham township, and has made this property valuable and productive through his careful and systematic management.
Mr. Hartgraves was born in Linn county, Iowa, April 23, 1852, and is a son of John R. and Sarah Ann (Stacey) Hartgraves, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Indiana. The parents removed to Linn county, this state, in 1847, and in 1854 came to Franklin county, locating in Ingham township, on section 25. The father engaged in farming from that time until 1891, when he retired. His death occurred July 8, 1909. He was one of the pioneer settlers in this section of Iowa and bore an active and honorable part in the work of development and upbuilding. His wife passed away in June, 1892. To them were born twelve children: David, who died in the army during the Civil war; Nicholas, of North Dakota; Elizabeth Jane, widow of J. N. Harland, of Berwell, Nebraska; Almeda, deceased; Jud A., of this review; John R., a resident of Woden, Iowa; Peter, of Minnesota; Solomon, whose home is in Canada; Olive, deceased; George, of Dumont; and two children who died in infancy.
Jud A. Hartgraves was two years of age when his parents moved to Franklin county and he acquired his education in the district schools of Ingham township. When he was twenty-two he secured a position driving the stage from Hampton to Clarksville and engaged in that occupation until 1876. In that year he went to Deadwood, South Dakota, and there engaged in mining for three years. In 1879 he returned to Franklin county and began operating the homestead, carrying on agricultural pursuits there until 1887, when he bought eighty acres of land on section 25, Ingham township. This he has since increased to one hundred and sixty acres and he has made it one of the finest farms in the locality, provided with substantial barns, and modern equipment.
On the 14th of February, 1883, Mr. Hartgraves was united in marriage to Miss Maggie L. Bennett, a native of Ontario, and they have become the parents of five children: Harry, now a resident of Colfax, North Dakota; Elizabeth, the wife of E. Nolte; and John W., Marguerite and Cornelius J., all at home.
Mr. Hartgraves gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has held a number of township offices. He has been closely identified with Franklin county in its upbuilding and development for a number of years and is accounted an important factor in general growth.
|Frederick Haupt is a
representative of a well known pioneer family of Franklin
county and today one of the leading agriculturists of
Osceola township, owning and operating the farm upon
which he has resided since his childhood. He was born in
Pennsylvania, September 22, 1852, and is a son of
Frederick and Henrietta (Helmker) Haupt, natives of
Germany. The parents came to America in 1850 and located
in Pennsylvania, where they remained nine years. They
settled in Franklin county, Iowa, in 1859, making their
home upon a farm on section 28, Osceola township. Here
the father engaged in agricultural pursuits until his
death, which, occurred March 6, 1888. His wife has also
passed away, her death having occurred in January, 1910.
To their union were born five children: Minnie and Carl,
deceased, Frederick, of this review; Mary, who has passed
away; and Henrietta, the wife of John Theis, of Grant
Frederick Haupt came to Franklin county with his parents in 1859 and was reared at home, becoming from his early childhood familiar with the details of farm operation. Upon the death of his father he inherited the homestead and upon this still continues to reside, engaged in general farming and stock-raising. The property comprises two hundred and forty acres on section 28, Osceola, township, and is well improved in every particular, reflecting the care and supervision of the owner, who is a progressive and practical agriculturist.
On the 29th of October, 1889, Mr. Haupt was united in marriage to Miss Ernestina Mutzell, a native of Germany, and they have become the parents of four children: John, Mary, Frederick and Ernestina. Mr. Haupt is a member of the Lutheran church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He is interested in the betterment of the community, where he has spent practically his entire life, and he has rendered the township excellent service as a member of the school board. He is a man of many sterling traits of character, capable in business, progressive in citizenship and at all times trustworthy and reliable.
Frederick Haupt family
E. H. Haymond
E. H. Haymond, mayor of Geneva, was born in Kendall county, Illinois, September 15, 1852. He is a son of Jacob and Martha (Smith) Haymond, the former a native of West Virginia and the latter of North Carolina. The father was a Methodist minister and connected with church work during his entire active life. He died in Windsor, Nova Scotia, August 20, 1903, and his wife died in Ida Grove, Iowa, March 28, 1901. Nine children were born to their union: Emily, the wife of R. D. Woodward, of Cloud county, Kansas; Melissa and Alonzo, twins who have passed away; Elisha, of Mason City, Iowa; E. H., of this review; Ellen, the widow of Judge Joseph T. Hoke, of West Virginia; Esther, twin to Ellen and the widow of Charles Bennett, of Ida Grove, Iowa; Byron, agent for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway at Ida Grove; and Eluna, twin to Byron, who died in infancy.
E. H. Haymond acquired his education in the public schools of Iowa, whither his parents came when he was still a child. He afterward attended Iowa Falls Normal School and began his independent career as a teacher, following this occupation for five years. At the end of that time he turned his attention to farming, moving south of Marshalltown, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1881. In that year he moved to Franklin county and bought two hundred and forty acres of land in Geneva township. With characteristic energy he carried forward the work of developing this property, improving it with excellent buildings and modern equipment and making it one of the most productive and valuable farms in this part of the state. In 1910 he sold the place and moved into Geneva, where he now resides. He is mayor of the city and has proved a capable executive, active in the promotion of many measures and projects for the community good.
On the 10th of April, 1873, Mr. Haymond married Miss Etna E. Pence, a native of Iowa, who died October 12, 1885, leaving three children: Frank E., of Des Moines, Iowa; May, the wife of A. L. Royer, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Roy C., of Saskatchewan, Canada. On the 29th of December, 1886, Mr. Haymond was again married, his second wife being Miss Alice Faucett, a native of Illinois. They became the parents of three children: Guy E. and Lee F., of Saskatchewan, Canada; and Carl E., now a student in Cornell College at Cornell, Iowa.
Mr. Haymond is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given to the republican party, and in addition to the office of mayor he has held other public positions, taking an active part in community affairs. His integrity of character, his fearlessness in the discharge of duty and his appreciation of his responsibilities make him a citizen whose worth is widely acknowledged.
Daniel H. Held
Through well directed business activity and enterprise Daniel H. Held has won for himself a foremost place among the leading farmers and stock dealers of Franklin county. He owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land on sections 31 and 32, Geneva township, and has made this farm a productive and valuable property, evidencing everywhere the intelligent care and labor he bestows upon it. He was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, September 24., 1868, and is a son of Peter and Margaret (Schultz) Held, the former a native of Germany and the latter of New York. The father came to America with his parents when he was still a boy and located with them in Wisconsin. In 1886 he came to Iowa, where he had purchased a farm in Geneva township immediately after the Civil war. He resided upon this property for a number of years and also discharged his duties as an Evangelical minister. For a period of thirty years he had made the circuit in Wisconsin and was well known in religious circles of that state. He died in Ackley, Iowa, March 3, 1903, and is survived by his wife, who resides in Ackley. Five children were born to their union: Caroline, the wife of Mat Stauffacher, of Ackley; Daniel H., of this review; Benjamin, a resident of Ackley; Ida, who died at the age of one year; and William, of Hansell.
Daniel H. Held came to Geneva township with his parents in 1886 and has since remained a resident of this part of the county. He aided in the operation of the homestead until after his father's death and then purchased the interests of the other heirs. He owns four hundred and eighty acres on sections 31 and 32, Geneva township, and there engages in general farming and stock-raising, being also, a shipper on an extensive scale. His interests are all carefully conducted and have brought him a gratifying and well deserved success.
On the 9th of July, 1896, Mr. Held was united in marriage to Miss Christina Walter, a native of Germany, and they have become the parents of three children: Walter, Elmer and Roy. Mr. Held is a member of the Evangelical church and is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. His life has been one of well directed activity and intelligent effort, resulting in 'the attainment of a fair measure of success, and wherever he is known he is respected and esteemed by reason of his genuine personal worth.
Edward G. Helvig
Edward G. Helvig, who during the entire period of his active life has been influentially associated with farming and stock-raising interests of Franklin county, is a representative of a family which has been well known in this locality since 1868. He was born in Grant township, February 26, 1876, and is a son of George and Caroline (Liese) Helvig, natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa in 1868 and settled in Geneva township, Franklin county, and removed to section 21, Grant township, in 1875, where the father engaged in farming until his death, which occurred June 8, 1905. His wife survives him and makes her home in Iowa Falls, Iowa. Twelve children were born to their union: William, deceased; Henry, a resident of Hampton; Annie, the wife of John Mohler, of Grant township; John, who has passed away; Emma, who married Fred Heines, of Geneva township; Edward, of Grant township; Sophie, the wife of Jake England, of Grant township; Susie, who married Gottlieb Kracht, of Emmetsburg, Iowa; Louisa, the wife of L. Meyer, of Lee township; Christina, who married A. Meyer, of Grant township; Carrie, who has passed away; and Esther, the wife of F. Mussigmann, of Grant township.
Edward G. Helvig was reared at home and acquired his education in the district schools of Grant township. He became familiar at an early age with the best and most practical agricultural methods and when he began his independent career naturally turned his attention to farming. After his father's death he bought one hundred and fourteen acres of the old homestead and in 1913 sold this and bought two hundred acres on section 21, Lee township, where he now resides. This property he has since continued to cultivate and from the beginning has met with excellent success, standing today in the front ranks of progressive and representative agriculturists.
On the 25th of June, 1902, Mr. Helvig was united in marriage to Miss Bena Shaw, a native of Illinois, and to this union have been born three children: Harley William, born April 6, 1903; Arthur Bernard, born October 8, 1904; and Dorothy Minnie, born March 13, 1910. Mr. Helvig is a member of the Lutheran church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He has held various township offices and has proven capable and reliable in positions of responsability. He is widely and favorably known in Franklin county and his record is a credit to a name that has long been an honored one in his community.
Henry Helvig, living retired in Hampton, was born in Geneva township, this county, March 21, 1869. He is a son of George and Caroline (Liese) Helvig, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Iowa in 1868 and settled in Geneva township, where the father engaged in farming until his death, which occurred June 8, 1905. His wife survives him and makes her home in Iowa Falls, Iowa. Twelve children were born to their union: William, deceased; Henry, of this review; Anna, the wife of John Mohler, of Grant township; John, who has passed away; Emma, the wife of Fred Heins, of Geneva township; Edward, of Grant township; Sophie, the wife of Jake England, of Grant township; Susie, who married Gotleib Kracht, a resident of Emmetsburg, Iowa; Louisa, the wife of L. Meyer, of Lee township; Christina, who married A. Meyer. of Grant township; Carrie, who has passed away; and Esther, the wife of F. Mussigmann, of Grant township.
Henry Helvig was reared upon his father's homestead and remained upon it even after he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Grant township. He acquired this property when he was twenty-two years of age, and he afterward added to it a quarter section in Lee township. This property he managed for many years thereafter, developing it along practical and modern lines, and he eventually took his place among the leading farmers of his locality. In the course of years he acquired a comfortable competency and upon the 1st of March, 1913, retired from active life. , He bought twelve and a half acres in the northeastern part of Hampton and there has erected a comfortable home.
On the 14th of December, 1899, Mr. Helvig was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Ahrens, a native of Butler county. Her father was born in Germany and came to Butler county in 1871, dying in Franklin county on the 28th of February, 1901. He was left an orphan and for many years followed the sea. He was the father of six children: Louisa, the wife of the subject of this review; Frank, who has passed away; William, of Dumont, Iowa; Emma, the wife of C. Ray, of Eagle Grove, Wright county, Iowa; a son who died in infancy; and Carrie, a resident of Omaha, Nebraska. Mrs. Anna Ahrens, who is the mother of Mrs. Helvig and who was Anna Dorn before her marriage and is a native of Germany, resides in Dumont, Butler county. Mr. and Mrs. Helvig have become the parents of five children: Anna who was born January 9, 1901; Viola, born May 18, 1903, Cora, born December 26, 1905; Lenora, born June 2, 1907; and Henrietta, born October 28, 1909.
Mr. Helvig is a member of the Lutheran church and gives his
political allegiance to the republican party. Mrs. Helvig is a
member of the Evangelical church. In 1900 he took the census of
Grant and Osceola townships, and he has served as treasurer of
the school board. He enjoys a wide and favorable acquaintance in
Hampton and has long been numbered among the most substantial and
representative citizens of Franklin county.
John M. Hemingway
John M. Hemingway
John M. Hemingway, a member of the Hampton bar, careful and thorough in the preparation of his cases and clear and cogent in the presentation of his arguments, has won for himself a creditable position among the lawyers practicing in Franklin county. He was born December 4, 1848, in Hadley, Lapeer county, Michigan, a son of John M. and Sarah (Dexter) Hemingway, both of whom were natives of New York. The father was a farmer by occupation and died upon the home farm in Michigan. The family numbered five children, but two died in early life, leaving as the surviving members of the family: John M., Dexter and Ruth Delia, the latter the widow of Judge J. W. McKenzie.
Spending his youthful days in the state of his nativity, John M. Hemingway supplemented his public-school course by study in the State University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and was graduated in 1873 on the completion of the classical course. In preparation for a professional career he entered the State University at Iowa City and was graduated with the law class of 1875. On the 1st of July of the same year he located in Hampton for the practice of his profession and formed a partnership with judge J. W. McKenzie, with whom he was associated until Mr. McKenzie was elevated to the bench. Afterward he was a partner of T. C. McKenzie until the latter's death, and then was alone for a time. Subsequently he spent a year in partnership with D. W. Henley and in 1887 and 1888 was in Kansas City, Missouri. He then returned to Hampton, however, and has since practised his profession alone, winning for himself a prominent position as a representative of the Franklin county bar. He is strong in Argument, clear in his reasoning and logical in his deductions, and he seldom fails to win the verdict desired.
On the 3d of September, 1877, Mr. Hemingway was united in marriage to Miss Natalia Zimmerman, of Hampton, and unto them have been born five children: Irma, now Mrs. F. A. Harriman; Madge, who died in, infancy; John D., a practicing dentist of Waverly, Iowa; Max M., an attorney at Fort Dodge, Iowa; and Natalia, who is a graduate of the literary department of the Iowa State University of the class of 1913, and is employed by the United States government as a teacher in Porto Rico. Mr. Hemingway is a progressive republican in politics. He was one of the three charter members Of Windsor Lodge, K. P., and is now in active connection therewith. He is affiliated with the Congregational church. He finds rest and recreation in the management of a farm known as Aldenheim. Before the automobile came into such common use he was well known as a breeder of fast trotting horses, having owned several well known trotters, including Sarcenat with a 2:16 1/4 record. His farm has ever been to him a source of recreation and interest, and he is now engaged in the raising of thoroughbred cattle and hogs, giving personal supervision to the work that is carried on in connection with the farm. His life has ever been upright and honorable and many good traits of character, as well as his professional ability, have established him high in public regard.
George Hemm, engaged in general farming and stock-raising upon three hundred and sixty acres of land on section 17, Mott township, was born in Kendall county, Illinois, April 17, 1860. He is a son of George M. and Carrie (Bosenecker) Hemm, natives of Germany. In their early years the parents came to America and settled in Oswego, Illinois, later moving to Kendall county, where the father engaged in farming until his death. His wife survived him some years, dying December 1, 1910. Twelve children were born to their union: Philip, of Chapin, Iowa; Caroline, the wife of Noah Thomas, of Chapin; John,,a resident of Aurora, Illinois; George, of this review; William, also of Chapin; Mary, the wife of James Eddy, of Swaledale, Iowa; Henry, deceased; Carrie and Louisa, who have also passed away; Charles, of Kendall county, Illinois; Michael, who died in infancy ,and Theodore, of Kendall county.
George Hemm began his independent career at the age of twenty-four, renting eighty acres of land in Kendall county. He operated this property for one year and then in 1886 moved to Franklin county, Iowa, renting a tract of one hundred and sixty acres.. At the end of one year he rented two hundred and forty acres and after three years bought this property, which two years later he sold. He then purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 17, Mott township, and he has since increased this to three hundred and sixty acres, its present dimensions. Upon this property he engages in general farming and stock-raising and his intelligent management and practical methods have resulted in a gratifying measure of success.
On the 2d of March, 1887, Mr. Hemm was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Bollinger, and they have become the parents of five children: May, the wife of Earl Whitehead, of Mott township; David H., at home; Alice, who is engaged in nursing and Lillian and Fern, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Whitehead have two children, George and Donald.
Mr. Hemm is a member of the Christian church, is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He has served as school director and as a public-spirited and progressive citizen takes a commendable interest in all enterprises calculated to promote the material and intellectual welfare of the community.
Charley Henrickson is one of those sturdy natives of Sweden who have found a successful career along agricultural lines in the United States. He came to Franklin county at the age of twenty-two and has become one of its most prosperous farmers. He was born in Sweden, July 28, 1865, and is a son of Henrick and Kate Anderson, natives of that country. The father still lives there, but the mother is deceased. They had four children: Gustaf, of Sweden; Charley, of this review; Anton, of Sweden; and Sophia, deceased.
Charley Henrickson was reared in his native land and there attended school. Perceiving the opportunities that lay before young men in the western world, he decided upon emigration and came to the United States, arriving in Franklin county, Iowa, when twenty-two years of age. He turned his labor to good account and in 1892 was enabled to acquire one hundred and twenty acres on section 3, Morgan township. He has ever since held, title to this property, where he is engaged in general farming. He has made excellent improvements upon the land, which is in a high state of cultivation, and his buildings are in good repair. He is progressive in his methods, and his good judgment, ability and energy have led him to success.
The wedding of Mr. Henrickson to Miss Annie Peterson took place on March 21, 1892, and to this union were born eight children: Ivan and Sophia, deceased; a son, who died in infancy; Alice, at home; another son who died while quite young; Henry E.; Clarence R.; and Roy.
Mr. Henrickson has become as loyal a citizen of this country as any native born American. He is a typical western man, full of energy and ambition. He is public-spirited and upholds all measures undertaken in the interest of the general welfare. He gives his vote to the republican party and has served as a school director of Morgan township, being interested in the cause of education. His religion is that of the Lutheran church. Mr. Henrickson is a representative Swedish American citizen of the best type, and it is to men of his stamp that the agricultural development of the middle west is largely due.
Herman Hesse, the owner of four hundred and forty-four acres of well improved land in Hamilton township, was born in Germany, October 14, 1849, a son of Henry and Marie (Meyer) Hesse, also natives of Germany, where the father died. The mother afterward came to America and passed away in this country. To their union were born eight children: Henry, Fred and Kathrina, deceased; a son who died in infancy; Herman, of this review; Heinrich, of Independence, Iowa; Harry, a resident of California; and George, of Bird Island, Minnesota.
Herman Hesse remained in his native country until he was fourteen years of age and then crossed the Atlantic to America, landing in New York, where he remained for four years. At the end of that time he moved to Chicago, Illinois, and there made his home until he was twenty-seven years of age. In 1876 he came to Iowa and located at Waterloo, whence after three years he moved to Hamilton township, this county, where he has since resided, engaged in farming. He owns four hundred and forty acres of land on sections 5, 6, 8, and 9, and has improved his property with modern buildings and equipment. He is regarded as one of the progressive and successful farmers of the locality.
On the 17th of February, 1882, Mr. Hesse was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Gottschalk, who was born in Germany in 186o. Nine children were born to their union: William, who is engaged in farming in Hamilton township; Fred and Herman, at home; Emma and Mamie, deceased; a son who died in infancy; Freda and George, at home; and Harry, born January 3, 1903. Mr. Hesse is a member of the Lutheran church and a republican in his political beliefs. He is one of the well known men of the township, and his straightforward dealings, together with his industry, have won him an excellent reputation and enrolled him among the county's substantial and desirable citizens.
Jacob Heuberger, an agriculturist residing on section 20, Ross township, has made his home in Franklin county for more than a third of a century and is the owner of four hundred and eighty acres of rich and productive land. His birth occurred in Canton Aargau, Switzerland, on the 3d of March, 1844, his parents being Henry and Mary (Buchle) Heuberger, who passed away in that country. The father attained the age of eighty-two, while the mother was seventy-seven years old when called to her final rest.
Jacob Heuberger was reared in his native land and acquired a good education in its schools. He learned the wagon maker's trade in Switzerland and was also a soldier in that country, being registered and meeting for practice several times each year. From earliest youth he had cherished an ambition to see the world and in 1872, when twenty-eight years of age, crossed the Atlantic to the United States, settling at Scales Mound, Jo Daviess county, Illinois, where he worked at his trade. In December, 1875, he returned to Switzerland, visiting with his parents until the following June, when he returned to the United States and again began working at his trade in Scales Mound and Apple River, Illinois. In 1879 he came to Franklin county, Iowa, and for a number of years worked as a wagon maker at Chapin. He was a competent workman and did a profitable business, being eventually enabled to purchase one hundred and sixty acres of land in Ross township. In 1890 he took up his abode on the farm, erected a set of substantial buildings and undertook the cultivation of the land, which had been merely plowed when it came into his possession. As the years have passed he has won prosperity in his farming operations, the well tilled fields annually yielding golden harvests in return for the care and labor bestowed upon them. He now owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land and is widely recognized as one of the substantial and representative citizens of the community.
At Scales Mound, Illinois, Mr. Heuberger was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Gerber, who was born in Switzerland on the 14th of December, 1858, her parents being Henry and Mary (Werndle) Gerber. The Heuberger and Gerber families were neighbors in Switzerland. Mrs. Elizabeth Heuberger was eight years of age when she came to the United States with her parents, both of whom passed away on a farm in Jo Daviess county, Illinois. Our subject and his wife have five children, namely: Mamie E., Harry H., Bertha A., Louis F. and Charley J., all at home. The sons are splendid specimens of young manhood, being all more than six feet tall.
Mr. Heuberger has always supported the men and measures of the republican party and keeps well posted on political questions. He and his oldest son are worthy exemplars of the Masonic fraternity, the father belonging to the lodge in Hampton and the son belonging at Sheffield. Both are members of the commandery of Iowa Falls, having attained to the Knights Templar degree. The religious faith of the family is that of the Congregational church. Seeking the advantages of the new world as a young man, Mr. Heuberger eagerly availed himself of the opportunities which presented themselves and, wisely directing his energies, has won prosperity and high regard in the country of his adoption.
Leonard Hickman, who since 1905 has been serving in a creditable and able manner as overseer of the Franklin County Farm, Was born in Germany, December 25, 1854. He is a son of Adam and Elizabeth (Hickman) Hickman, also natives of Germany, where their deaths occurred. In their family were seven children: Adam Fred, Jacob and William, all of whom reside in Germany; Peter, of New York city; John, of Germany; and Leonard, of this review.
Leonard Hickman remained in his native country until he was fourteen years of age and then crossed the Atlantic, settling in Ottawa, LaSalle county, Illinois. He there engaged in farming, living upon one property for six years and upon another for three. At the end of that time he moved to Galena, Illinois, where he attended the normal school, after which he established himself in the butcher business. He followed this occupation for fifteen years thereafter and then removed to the vicinity of Storm Lake, Iowa, where he purchased a farm. At the end of two years he returned to Galena, Illinois and there remained for two years, after which he came again to Iowa, settling in Hampton. On the 1st of March, 1905, he was appointed. overseer of the Franklin County Farm of two hundred and twenty acres, and he has since creditably filled this position. He has charge of the nine inmates and with their assistance engages in general farming and stock-raising, keeping cattle and hogs. He discharges his duties conscientiously and promptly and to the satisfaction of all concerned.
In January, 1878, Mr. Hickman was united in marriage to Miss Virginia Verron, and they have become the parents of three children: Helen the wife of O. F. Myers, of Hampton; William of Geneva; and Harry, bookkeeper for the Western Newspaper Union at Des Moines.
Mr. Hickman is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Masonic lodge and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He gives his political support to the republican party and is now trustee of Geneva township. He is a progressive, and successful business man and holds the favorable regard of all who know him.
Benjamin F. Hicks
Benjamin F. Hicks, operating the Hicks homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 12, Reeve township, and owning forty acres of excellent land on section 13, was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, July 5, 1878. He is a son of Peter W. and Esther Ann (Stephens) Hicks, the former a native of Canada. The parents now reside in Geneva. In their family were five children: a daughter, who died in childhood; Clarence, a resident of Geneva; John, who makes his home in Latimer; Benjamin F., of this review and Hattie, the wife of V. W. McCart, of Geneva.
Benjamin F. Hicks came to Iowa with his parents and acquired his education in the district schools of Reeve township. Since the beginning of his active career he has managed his father's homestead, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres on section 12. He owns forty acres on the. adjoining section and operates both properties, in an intelligent and able manner, engaging in general farming and stock-raising. On the 13th of May, 1909, he married Miss Annie May Kurtz, a native of Franklin county, and both are well known in social circles of their locality.
Mr. Hicks attends the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given to the republican party, and he has held various positions of trust and responsibility, serving for two years as constable and being now township assessor. His place in agricultural circles of Franklin county is today a prominent one and has been won through his own industry, perseverance and good management.
Abraham J. Hobson, M.D.
Dr. Abraham Hobson
Dr. Abraham J. Hobson is engaged,in the general practice of medicine and surgery in Hampton. Success in considerable measure has attended his efforts, for his knowledge of the principles of medicine is wide and comprehensive, and he performs all of his duties with a sense of conscientious obligation productive of excellent results. Dr. Hobson was born in Poweshiek county, Iowa, September 27, 1859, and is a son of William and Mary (Colwell) Hobson, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Ireland. The father went to Poweshiek county from Lee county, Iowa, in 1854 and thence to Franklin county in 1865, engaging in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred September 6, 1891. His wife survived him a number of years, dying in September, 1902. To their union were born nine children: J. C., a farmer and fruit raiser in Missouri; Rebecca, the wife of L. S. Sayre, of Minnesota; Eliza, who married David Cogswell, of Nebraska; Joseph, of the same state; Benjamin F. and John W., deceased; Dr. Abraham J., of this review; William, who passed away in infancy; and Dr. Thomas A., a physician in Parkersburg, Iowa.
Spending his, youthful days in his native state, Dr. Hobson attended the Friends Academy at Legrand, Iowa, and afterward entered the medical department of the State University, from which he was graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1884. He began the practice of his profession in Bristow, Iowa. In 1891, he went to Philadelphia and took a post-graduate course of one year, from which he graduated in 1892, after which he moved to Hampton and has since engaged in general practice here. He has become known as a capable and conscientious physician, well versed in the underlying principles of medicine and in touch with the trend of modern medical advancement through constant reading and research.
Dr. Hobson has been married twice. He first wedded Miss Ella Johnson who died in 1891, leaving a son, Dr. Carl Lyle Hobson, who became his father's partner in the practice of medicine and whose untimely death on the 14th of November, 1913, was the occasion of deep regret to all who knew him. He was born in Bristow, Iowa, August 29, 1886, and was but five years of age when his mother-passed away in April, 1891.
Dr. C. L. Hobson began his education in the public schools, afterward attended college and manifested special aptitude in his studies. It was in 1904 that he was graduated from the high school of Hampton, thus receiving the preparatory training that enabled him to become a student in the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis. His more specifically classical course was there completed in 1908. He determined to devote his attention to the profession which his father was making his life work and entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia and was graduated in 1910. The following year he formed a partnership with his father and it is said of him that, "his genial manner, clear mind and quick sympathy with the afflicted made him universally beloved and gained for him a host of friends who held it an inestimable privilege to be associated with one so courteous, so manly, so true." In his career he was very successful proving an able assistant to his father. On the 12th of October, 1911, he wedded Miss Viola C. Dinsmoor, of Austin, Minnesota, who survives him. He was but in the twenty-eighth year of his age when disease laid its hand upon him and his young life was brought to a close. A resolution passed by the Franklin County Medical Society said: "On November 14, I913, there passed away in the prime of his life, with an exceptionally bright and prosperous future before him, a loyal member of this society and a sincere friend of every one in this community, Dr. Carl L. Hobson, of Hampton, Iowa. As a member of this society, as a physician and as a man, Dr. Hobson always stood for the highest ideals, clean and ambitious. In his death the community has lost a valuable citizen, and each of us feels a personal loss. We are grieved by his departure, but are glad in the thought that it was good to have known him. His life will live long in our hearts as an example for those who would know and attain noble manhood."
After the death of his first wife Dr. Abraham J. Hobson married Miss Isabelle Milloy, of Brantford, Canada, the wedding taking place on the 4th of May, 1895, and to them have been born two children: Isabella, whose birth occurred November 17, 1898; and Abraham J., Jr., born May 21, 1903.
Dr. Hobson is very prominent in Masonry, holding membership in the lodge, chapter, commandery and Mystic Shrine. He is also connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party, and his interest in the moral progress of the community is shown by his activity in the Congregational church, in which he has for fifteen years been a member of the official board. In all matters of citizenship relating to the material, intellectual and moral welfare of the community he is deeply interested, and his efforts have been a substantial element in bringing about desired results.
Benjamin A. Holmes
For many years Benjamin A. Holmes was engaged as a contractor in Hampton, Iowa, but of late has turned his attention to the optical business. He was born in DeKalb county, Illinois, December 15, 1857, and is a son of Samuel A. and Sarah Jane (Harris) Holmes, the former a native of New York state and the latter of Illinois. The father was a carpenter by trade. They were the parents of fourteen children: Benjamin A., of this review; Phoebe, the widow of J. P. Webber, of Hampton; Caroline, deceased; Lady, who married W. E. Jewell, of Hampton; John, a resident of Minnesota; Etta, the wife of Robert Bruce, of Mason City; James M., of Hampton; Charles, of Minnesota; Almond, of Franklin county; Chauncy, deceased; May, who is married and resides in Washington; and three who died in infancy. Mrs. Samuel A. Holmes could put forth the claim of being the first white child of her sex born in Chicago. Her father, Benjamin Harris, moved with his family to Chicago, or Fort Dearborn as it was then called, in 1831. Mrs. Holmes relates in her memoirs that not more than half a dozen white people had preceded them to Fort Dearborn and that all of them were Indian traders. She goes on to tell that in the fall the Indians drove the whites into the fort, where they remained during the winter. During this period she was born at Fort Dearborn on January 11, 1832. The Chicago Tribune some time ago published an interesting chapter in relation to her and the Harris family of that time. In 1883 Benjamin Harris moved to another part of the state of Illinois and later settled in Iowa. Sarah Jane Harris married Samuel A. Holmes in January, 1852. He came to Iowa in 1864, locating at Waterloo, and there he remained until 1874, when he came to Hampton. Here he was for many years engaged in the express business and was widely and popularly known as Major Holmes. His death occurred in January, 1912.
Benjamin A. Holmes was but fourteen years of age when he applied himself to the mason's trade and for over twenty-five years was successful as a builder and contractor in Hampton. In 1900 he entered the Johnson Optical College of Chicago, from which he received a diploma and also secured a permit from the state of Iowa as an examiner of the eyes. He has since been engaged in the optical business.
On May 30, 1876, Mr. Holmes married Miss Lucy May Bailey, a native of Illinois, who bore her husband four children, all of whom passed away in Illinois in infancy. Mrs. Lucy M. Holmes died August 23, 1882. Mr. Holmes later married Miss Anna Moist, a native of Hampton, this marriage occurring July 14, 1884. To them were born three children: Fay B., the wife of Albert Latham, of Kansas; Guy B., of Fort Dodge, Iowa; and Ray S., of Texline, Texas. The mother of these children passed away and Mr. Holmes later married Mrs. Ida (Howes) Minnier, widow of Truman Minnier. She is a native of Missouri but has lived in Franklin county ever since she was two weeks old. By her marriage to Mr. Minnier she has two children: Myrtle, the wife of C. L. Wright, of Clear Lake, Iowa; and Howard, at home.
Mr. Holmes is a republican and member of the Christian church. He is highly esteemed by all who know him and has many friends in Hampton and the vicinity.
S. H. Holmes
S. H. Holmes was actively and successfully identified with general agricultural pursuits in Franklin county for more than a third of a century, and still owns two hundred acres of valuable land in Richland township, but is now living retired in Sheffield. His birth occurred in Wayne county, Ohio, on the 18th of May, 1848, his parents being George and Eliza (Harting) Holmes, who were born, reared and married in Pennsylvania. They were among the early settlers of Wayne county, Ohio, and there spent the remainder of their lives. When fifty-two years of age the father was killed by a falling tree. The mother, who married a second time, died when past sixty.
S. H. Holmes was a lad of nine years at the time of his father's tragic death. His retentive mind recalls many of the scenes and happenings of his boyhood. His father was engaged in the manufacture of pumps, chopping logs and boring the holes with a bit. One evening he failed to come home but, thinking he had gone on a visit to the home of a neighbor, his wife and children felt no anxiety. After midnight, however, the wife sent her two sons into the Woods with a lantern to seek their father. They found him with his chest and head crushed. It seems that a pin oak tree which he had chopped down had lodged, and when he attempted to dislodge the same, it had fallen and caught him beneath it. S. H. Holmes was often sent after cattle and horses when a boy of but seven or eight years. His father refused to give him a halter or bridle, fearing he might attempt to ride young horses and be injured. Not to be thwarted, however, he was accustomed to cut the limber branch of a tree, making a crotch which he put over the horse's neck after jumping on him. The horse, thinking there was something to hold him, would then go along peacefully. One day, while the horses were drinking from a brook at the base of a steep cliff of overhanging slate rock, the cliff gave way and frightened the animals, and he was thrown into the water by the young horse on which he had been sitting.
Mr. Holmes remained with his mother until about twenty years of age and subsequently worked at the carpenter's trade in Indiana, also spending a short time in the lumber woods of Wisconsin. He was married in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, at the age of twenty-two years, and spent the first year of his wedded life in Michigan, while during the next four and a half years he and his wife resided on a homestead in Kansas. On the expiration of that period they drove from the Sunflower state to Wayne county, Iowa, and at the end of a year came to Franklin county, this state, making the journey in a covered wagon. The year of their arrival was 1877. Mr. Holmes came here with only a dollar and a half in cash and would have had less than that had he not accepted the hospitality of kind people encountered en route. He cultivated rented land for a number of years or until 1893, when his savings enabled him to purchase a tract of one hundred and twenty acres in Cerro Gordo county. However, as there were no buildings on this farm he sold it after two years and bought land in Franklin county. He remodeled the buildings on the property and developed an excellent farm, also augmenting his holdings by additional purchase, so that he now owns two hundred acres. In the spring of 1913 he put aside the active work of the fields and moved to Sheffield, where he has since remained in honorable retirement, owning a comfortable and attractive home on West Main street.
On December 22, 1870, at Gratiot, Wisconsin, Mr., Holmes was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Ormrod, who was born in Stockport, England, on the 23d of May, 1852, her parents being James and Elizabeth Ormrod. They emigrated to the United States during the infancy of their daughter Mary, whose first birthday anniversary was spent on the ocean. They first resided at Newport, Rhode Island, afterward removed to Warren Illinois and in 1880 came to Sheffield, Iowa, where both passed away. Their son, James Ormrod, of Hampton, is an ex-sheriff of Franklin county. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes have three living children, as follows: Mrs. Fred Cockram, who. resides in Richland township; James assistant cashier of a bank at Steamboat Rock, Iowa; and Arthur, who lives on the home farm. The parents are devoted and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, which they joined prior to their marriage. Mr. Holmes has always supported the men and measures of the republican party and cast his first presidential ballot for Grant when for the second time he was elected chief executive of the nation. Both Mr. and Mrs. Holmes have an extensive circle of warm friends in this county, enjoying the high regard and esteem of all with whom they have come in contact.
Ole Houg needs no introduction to the readers of this volume. While now engaged in merchandising at Dows, Wright county, he is one of the old settlers of Franklin county, where he still has many friends. He was born in Norway, January 11, 1867, and is a son of Aslak and Barbara Houg, also natives of the land of the midnight sun. The father brought his family to America in 1869, when his son Ole was two years of age. There were seven children, six sons and a daughter, but the latter died in infancy. The family made their way to Green county, Wisconsin, where the father secured a small farm. There the family continued to reside for many years, but after the mother's death, which occurred in that state, the father moved to Virginia, where he died in 191I2, at the advanced age of eighty-one years.
Ole Houg, who was the third child in order of birth, was educated in the common schools of Wisconsin and when eighteen years of age went to Lafayette county, that state, where he made his initial step in the business world by securing employment in a store, there remaining for four years. On the expiration of that period he left Wisconsin and made his way to Dows, Iowa, where he entered the employ of the firm of Johnson & Hanson, with whom he continued for seven years. During that period he carefully saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him sufficient capital to engage in business on his own account. He then entered into partnership with J. L. Sinclair in the conduct of a general mercantile establishment at Alexander, Franklin county. They conducted the business for six years and then dissolved partnership, Mr. Houg, however, retaining and conducting the business until 1913, when he returned to Dows, where he now conducts a store and makes his home. In 1910 he was made postmaster at Alexander and still fills the position.
In 1890 occurred the marriage of Mr. Houg and Miss Maria Hanson, of Wiota, Wisconsin, a daughter of Ole and Maren Hanson. The father was a farmer by occupation, and both he and his wife have passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Houg have three children, two sons and a daughter, who in order of birth are as follows: Orville Adlai, who attends the Ellsworth College at Iowa Falls and will graduate in 1916; Myron Bert, who is attending high school at Dows; and Cora Dilia, who is also a high-school pupil.
Mr. and Mrs. Houg are members of the Lutheran church, loyal to its teachings and generous in its support. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and keeps well informed on the questions of the day, so that he is able to support his position by intelligent argument. Fraternally he is a Knight of Pythias and a Modern Woodman and in the camp of the latter he was clerk for fifteen years. His political activity has found expression in his membership in the county central committee. He was also the first town clerk of Alexander and was a member of the school board. He is recognized in the community as a resourceful and forceful business man and citizen. In his commercial connections he is progressive and enterprising and recognizes and improves his opportunities. Wherever he is known he is popular, his many sterling traits of character winning for him the high regard of all with whom he comes in contact.
Walter H. Hoxie
Walter H. Hoxie is one of the extensive landowners of Franklin county, making his home in Hampton. His possessions aggregate sixteen hundred acres, and all has been acquired through his own persistent, energetic and intelligently directed efforts, showing what may be accomplished when one has the will to dare and to do. He is now one of the venerable citizens of this part of the state, having passed the eighty-second milestone on life's journey, and he receives from young and old, rich and poor, the respect and warm regard which should be tendered one of his years whose life has been well spent. He was born in New York, November 3, 1831, a son of Zebulin and Anna (Gardner) Hoxie. The greater part of his minority was spent in the east and in 1853, attracted by the opportunities of the growing west, he came to Iowa, settling in Butler county, where he entered land. For ten years he continued in that county and in 1864 came to Franklin county, where he has now made his home for about a half century. He began buying land and from time to time added to his possessions until his realty holdings now include sixteen hundred acres. His home farm was situated ten miles from Hampton, and thereon he engaged in raising the cereals best adapted to soil and climate and also paid considerable attention to stock raising, both branches of his- business proving profitable. He remained upon the farm for six years and in 1870 removed to Hampton, where he built a fine home, which he has since occupied. From this point he has superintended his investments and his property interests, although in recent years his business affairs have largely been turned over to the care of his son, William.
Mr. Hoxie was united in marriage to Miss Elsie Babcock, a. native of Stephenson county, Illinois, and to them have been born ten children: Dwight a practicing physician, of North Dakota; Frank, who is living in Ogallala, Nebraska; Edith and William at home; Arthur, deceased; Fred, who is a traveling salesman; Anna, the wife of J. Y. Luke, an attorney at Ames, Iowa; George; Lua, the wife of H. J. Rice, an electrical engineer of Mobridge, South Dakota; and Bess, who is the wife of I. B. Robinson, a banker of Pasedena, California.
No history of this county would be complete without reference to Mr. Hoxie, who has so long resided within its borders and been ,so actively connected with its farming interests. In matters of citizenship, too, his name stands for progress and improvement. He has long given his political allegiance to the democratic party and he has filled the office of county supervisor. Fraternally he is a Mason and in his life has exemplified many of the sterling principles of the craft. He bears an enviable record in business circles and wherever he has gone he has made friends, so that the history of his life will be gladly received by the readers of this volume.
George L. R. Humke
George L. R. Humke, one of the progressive and active young farmers of Osceola township, is operating a portion of the farm upon which he was born December 19, 1886. He is a son of Charles F. Humke , of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this work.
George L. R. Humke was, reared at home and early become familiar with the best agricultural methods through practical experience upon his father's farm. At the age of twenty-one he rented one hundred and twenty acres of the homestead, which lies on section 36, Osceola township, and here he has since engaged in general farming, stock-raising and poultry-raising. He is gradually extending his interests in the latter department, which has proven exceedingly profitable and important.
On the 9th of March, 1911, Mr. Humke was united in marriage to Miss Ida Jansonius, a native of Butler county, this state, and a daughter of John and Margaret (Neymeyer) Jansonius, natives of Holland and now residents of Butler county. Mr. Humke is a member of the Presbyterian church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party, He takes an intelligent interest in the welfare and growth of his native township, but is not active politically, preferring to concentrate his attention upon his business affairs, in which he is meeting with gratifying and well deserved success.
A fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section 36, Osceola township, is the property of Henry Humke, who is accounted one of the leading agriculturists in his locality. He was born in Dubuque county, Iowa, September 22, 1869, and is a son of Charles F. and Eva (Rath) Humke, the former a native of Iowa and the latter of Germany. The father came to Franklin county in 1881 and located in Osceola township, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred July 7, 1913. His wife has also passed away. To their union were born eight children: John F., a farmer of Osceola township; Henry, of this review; Anna, the wife of Henry Hembd, of Grundy county, Iowa; Charles and William, of Osceola; Lydia, the wife of Wyatt Johnson, of South Dakota; a son, who died in infancy; and George, residing on the old homestead.
Henry Humke was reared at home and when he began his independent career turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, renting one hundred and twenty acres from his father. Later he purchased this property and under his able management it has become valuable and productive, reflecting everywhere the care and labor which the owner has bestowed upon it.
On the 31st of May, 1894, Mr. Humke was united in marriage to Miss Emma Kliebenstein, a native of Lee county, Iowa, and a daughter of Rev. L. and Mary (Meiser) Kliebenstein, natives of Germany. The father was a Presbyterian minister and had charge of a congregation in Lee county for about nineteen years, after which he moved near Ackley, in Grundy county, where he had charge of a congregation for nearly twenty years. He died in Dubuque county, this state, May 5, 1907, and is survived by his wife, who makes her home in St. Louis, Missouri. To their union were born eight children, the eldest of whom, a son, died in infancy. The others are: Mary, the wife of Ed Dippell, of Mitchell county, Iowa; Emma, wife of the subject of this review; Lydia, who married H. F. Girard, of Dubuque; Louis. F., a banker of Kingsley, Iowa; August, a resident of Chicago, Illinois; Edward, who has passed away; and Amelia, the wife of A. C. Reibert, of St. Louis, Missouri.
Mr. and Mrs. Humke have two children: Willard Henry, born April 19, 1898; and Marie Amelia, born February 20, 1901. Mr. Humke is a member of the Presbyterian church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He has served as a member of the school board, and the cause of education finds in him a loyal supporter. He is well and favorably known in Osceola township, and his record is a credit to a name that has long. been an honored one in his community.
John F. Humke
John F. Humke needs no introduction to the readers of this volume, for he is well known as one of the most progressive and representative farmers and stock-raisers of Osceola township. He was born in Dubuque county, Iowa, March 13, 1868, and is a son of Charles F. and Eva (Rath) Humke, the former a native of Iowa and the latter of Germany. In 1881 the father moved to Franklin county and located on a farm in Osceola township, engaging in general farming and stock-raising until his death, which occurred July 7, 1913. His wife has also passed away, her death occurring in Franklin county. To their union were born eight children: John F., of this review; Henry, of Osceola township; Anna, the wife of Henry Hembd, of Grundy, Iowa; Charles and William, of Osceola; Lydia, the wife of Wyatt Johnson, of South Dakota; a son who died in infancy; and George, residing on the old homestead.
John F. Humke was reared upon his father's farm and began his independent career at the age of twenty-five. He rented land from his father and after about nine years bought one hundred and twenty acres of the homestead, adding to this property a forty acre tract which he had previously acquired. He has since bought an additional sixty acres and his holdings now comprise two hundred and twenty acres, all in Osceola township. The farm is modern in every detail, the buildings including a fine barn and a seventy-five ton silo. Mr. Humke engages in general farming and stock-raising and has met with excellent success in the conduct of his interests.
On the 8th of March, 1893, Mr. Humke was united in marriage to Miss Hilka Peters, of Grundy county, and to their union have been born seven children, Louise Evelyn, Herman Charles, Clarence Alfred, Samuel Okko, Anna Ruth, deceased, Anna Esther and Robert Walter. Mr. Humke is a member of the Presbyterian church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He served for about fifteen years as township trustee and as a progressive and public-spirited citizen takes an active interest in public affairs. He is justly accounted one of the representative farmers of his locality and is held in high esteem wherever he is known.
William A. Humke
Through well directed business activity and enterprise William A. Humke has gained recognition as one of the prosperous farmers of Franklin county. He owns one hundred and eighty acres of fine land on section 25, Osceola township, and since 1902 has made his home upon this property, which is the visible evidence of his life of thrift and energy. He was born in Dubuque county, this state, April 23, 1875, and is a son of Charles F. and Eva (Rath) Humke, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work.
William A. Humke was reared at home and assisted in the operation of his father's farm until he was twenty-seven years of age. The property was then divided and Mr. Humke of this review received one hundred and twenty acres on section 25, Osceola township. To this he has since added sixty acres, and he still makes his home upon the property, which under his able management has become productive and valuable. Upon it he has erected a number of substantial buildings, including fine barns and outhouses and an eighty ton silo. Nothing is ever neglected which will add to the appearance or value of the place.
On the 8th of February, 1905, Mr. Humke married Miss Sarah Blake, a daughter of Richard T. and Sarah (Pickney) Blake, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Mr. Humke is a member of the Presbyterian church and belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Order of the Eastern Star. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is now doing able and conscientious work in the office of township clerk. In all the relations of life his actions have conformed to the highest standards, and he justly deserves the full measure of confidence and respect now entertained for him by all who know him.
B. D. Hunt
B. D. Hunt, cashier of the Geneva Savings Bank, was born in Butler county, Iowa, February 18, 1870. He is a son of Franklin H. and Sarah (Davis) Hunt, natives of New York. The father engaged in the mercantile business until his death, and his wife survives him, making her home in Osage, Iowa. To their union were born five children: B. D., of this review; Harry L., of Madison, Wisconsin; Florence, who makes her home in Osage, Iowa; and Lee and Hazel, also residents of Osage.
B. D. Hunt acquired his education in the public schools of Butler county, and since the beginning of his active career has been connected with the banking business. He began as clerk in a bank at Clarksville and was identified with a bank at Waterloo. In 1894 he moved to Hampton and entered the Citizens National Bank as clerk, resigning this position in order to become connected with the Bank of Hampton. In 1905 he and his associates bought out the former owners of the Geneva Savings Bank and Mr. Hunt was made cashier, a position which he has since filled with credit and ability.
On April 23, 1893, Mr. Hunt was united in marriage to Miss Rose A. McCreary, a native of Butler county, and they have become the parents of two children, Frank A. and Ardis. Mr. Hunt is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party, serving for two years as city clerk of Hampton. He holds a high place in financial circles, and his judgment is considered sound and reliable on all matters connected with his special line.
Frank Hushka, prominently connected with business interests of Bradford as manager of a grain elevator, was born in Austria, July 25, 1864. He is a son of Ferdinand and Hannah Hushka, also natives of that country, who came to America in the '70s, locating in Grant township, Franklin county, Iowa. They remained there for twelve years and then moved to Kossuth county, this state, whence they removed to Winnipeg, Canada. They afterward made their home in the province of Saskatchewan, where the father died. His wife survives him and now makes her home in Kossuth county with her son. To their union were born ten children: Theresa, the wife of Mr. Markle, of Minnesota; Frank, of this review; John, of Kossuth county, Iowa; Joseph, a resident of Minnesota; Fred, of South Dakota; Fannie, who is married and lives in Minnesota; Mary, a trained nurse, residing in Chicago; Caroline, the wife of John Finn, of Minnesota; Henry, a resident of South Battleford, Saskatchewan; and William, who makes his home in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Frank Hushka acquired his education in the public schools of Grant township and at the age of twenty-one began his independent career, engaging in farming upon rented land. Ten years later he bought eighty acres in Grant township, this county, and two years afterward sold this property and moved into Bradford, one of the earliest settlers in that community. Since that time his interests have extended to many fields, touching closely the upbuilding and development of the town so that he has become one of the prominent and leading citizens. In 1907 he associated himself with W. J. Hamilton and they established a grain elevator here, since which time Mr. Hushka has acted as manager. He is a business man of keen insight and discrimination, and his success is the best proof of his capability.
On the 25th of February, 1890, Mr. Hushka married Miss Mary E. Croft, a native of Franklin county, and they have two children: Leo F., who was born July 4, 1893, and who is now associated with his father in business; and Mabel E., born January 9, 1896.
Mr. Hushka is a member of the Christian church and connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. A stanch republican in his political beliefs, he has held various positions of public trust and responsibility, serving with great credit as school director, road supervisor and township assessor. In all official, business and personal relations he holds to high ideals and has commanded the esteem and confidence of all who know him.
1914 Biography Index
This page was last modified on November 14,
©2006 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.