History of Franklin
County, Iowa by I. L. Stuart. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub.
Transcribed by Don Turner, former coordinator of this website.
Fred W. Alert
Fred W. Alert, who owns two hundred and forty-five acres of excellent land on sections 30 and 19, Reeve township, was born in Germany, September 17, 1858. He is a son of Carl and Mary (Yeager) Alert, also natives of Germany, where the father followed the blacksmith's trade until his death. His wife has also passed away. To their union were born four children: Carl, deceased; Fred W., of this review; and William and Henry, who have passed away.
Fred W. Alert began his independent career when he was eighteen years of age, becoming connected with the brewery business in Germany and continuing thus for about eleven years. In 1886 he came to Hampton, Franklin county, Iowa, and turned his attention to railroad work, following this for seven years. At the end of that time he bought one hundred acres of land in West Fork township but sold this at the end of four years, resuming his farming upon rented land. He afterward purchased two hundred and forty-five acres on sections 30 and 19, Reeve township, where he has since made his home. Upon this property he has made excellent improvements in building and equipment, and he engages in general farming and stock-raising with gratifying and well deserved success.
Mr. Alert married Miss Marie Heins, a native of Germany and they have become the parents of six children: Freda, the wife of Fred Witte, of Marion township; Minnie and Fred at home; Dora, who married William Gabaver, of Hampton; and William and Marie, at home.
Mr. Alert is a member of the Lutheran church and is connected politically with the republican party. He is interested in school affairs and has served as school director and president of the board of education, holding this latter position for nine years. He is not only industrious and enterprising, but is also a man of high moral character, greatly esteemed both as a farmer and a business man throughout the township.
Charles James Allen, M. D.
Dr. Charles James Allen, one of the leading and successful physicians and surgeons of Sheffield, has practiced his profession here for more than a quarter of a century and during the early years underwent all the harrowing experiences and hardships which beset the doctor in a pioneer community. His birth occurred in Youngstown, Niagara county, New York, on the 16th of June, 1856, his parents being George W. and Lucina (Hayward) Allen, natives of New York. The father, an agriculturist by occupation, passed away in the Empire state in 1874, when fifty-seven years of age, while the mother was called to her final rest in 1900, dying in New York at the age of seventy-three.
Charles J. Allen spent his boyhood on a farm in his native county and attended the district schools in the acquirement of his early education, while later he pursued his studies in Union Academy at Lockport, New, York. Subsequently he studied medicine for three. years under the direction of Dr. W. J. Falkner of Youngstown, New York, and on the 27th of September, 1884, entered Rush Medical College of Chicago, from which institution he was graduated on the 17th of February, 1887. He then came directly to Sheffield, Iowa, and this place has remained the scene of his professional labors throughout the intervening twenty-six years. His were the experiences of a pioneer physician in a sparsely settled and undeveloped district. He frequently spent his last dollar for a bottle of medicine and drove through the country for a number of miles without any assurance that his patient would be able to reimburse him. Dr. Allen always kept a good horse and during the first two years of his residence here made his calls in a road cart, while later he was enabled to purchase a buggy. The roads were bad and the country was very marshy, so that he was subjected to much risk and danger when driving on a dark night. As the years have gone by, however, the district has become thickly settled by a prosperous, contented people, and he has enjoyed an extensive and lucrative practice, which has been accorded him in recognition of his skill and ability in the field of his chosen calling. He keeps in touch with the progress of the profession through his membership in the Franklin County Medical Society and the Iowa State Medical Society and is a stockholder in the Sheffield Brick & Tile Company, the largest concern in the county.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Dr. Allen chose Mrs. Emma Harrington, nee Sheldon, who is a native of Dubuque county and by whom he has one son, Roy. He gave his Political allegiance to the republican party for many years but recently joined the ranks of the democracy. He served as a member of the city council for two years, but the demands made upon him in a professional capacity have been so great that he has not entered actively into politics. Dr. Allen is well and favorably known among the members of the medical fraternity in Franklin county and in his Practice has ever conformed to the highest professional ethics.
George Allen, a retired farmer and stock-raiser living in Hampton, was born in Ohio, on the 4th of February, 1842. He is a son of Aaron and Orrel (Brown) Allen, the former of whom died when the subject of this review was five years of age. In the family were five children: Merrick, who was killed during the siege of Corinth in the Civil war; George, of this review; Charles, who died in infancy; Mary, the widow of Louis Knox, of San Leandro, California; and Jemima, deceased.
When George Allen was fourteen years of age he went to the mines around Lake Superior, where for four years he had charge of unloading the cars and weighing the iron ore. At the end of that time he returned to Ohio and there engaged in farming for one year. On the 18th of April, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for a three months' term. Upon the expiration of that period he reenlisted for three years in Companv E, Sixty-fourth Illinois Sharpshooters. He was taken prisoner at Glendale, Mississippi in 1863, and sent to Libby prison, where he remained until he was transferred to Pemberton and thence to Danville and then to Andersonville. He was afterward removed to Florence, South Carolina, and then to Annapolis, Maryland, and was there released, weighing at that time only eighty-five pounds. He was in prison fifteen months. He was mustered out at Springfield, Illinois, and returned to Iowa, where in 1865 he bought one hundred and seventy acres in the vicinity of Hampton. When he sold this he bought eighty acres west of the fair grounds and for fifteen years thereafter carried on general farming and stock-raising upon this property. At the end of that time he purchased two hundred and forty acres in Marion township and after five or six years sold this and bought three hundred and seventy-one acres in Wisner township. In 1888 he bought eighty acres east of Hampton and upon this property made a specialty of raising cattle and hogs. His stock-raising interests became extensive and important in the course of years, his able management and practical methods resulting in a gratifying measure of success. In 1898 Mr. Allen retired from active life and moved into Hampton, where he occupies an attractive home at No. 613 East Sixth street.
Mr. Allen has been twice married. He wedded first Miss Vastia Delmater, a native of New York, who passed away in 1889, leaving a daughter, Frances J., who married George P. Artley, a farmer residing east of Hampton. On the 9th of April, 1901, Mr. Allen married Miss Mary Crawford, a native of Delaware county, Ohio.
Mr. Allen is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Grand Army of the Republic. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served with credit and ability in various positions of trust and responsibility. In all relations of life he has maintained a high standard of honor and integrity and has won the respect and confidence of those who have come in contact with him.
George H. Allen
George H. Allen, a progressive and practical agriculturist of Ingham township, was born in that part of Franklin county, April 27, 1885, a son of J. K. and Christiana (Hanawalt) Allen, natives of Pennsylvania. The parents came to this county in 1877, locating on section 35, Ingham township. The mother died while on a visit to California, January 10, 1911, but the father still resides in Ingham township. To them were born twelve children: William H., of Ingham township; Mary C., the wife of William Albright, of Grundy county, Iowa; Joseph R., of Geneva township; Samuel F., of Hotchkiss, Colorado; Harvey W., residing on the old homestead; John and Rebecca, deceased; Anna M.; Hattie E., who married Ezra Burn, of Ingham township; George H., of this review; Frank K., of Ingham township; and a daughter who died in infancy.
George H. Allen acquired his education in the district schools and after laying aside his books taught school for one year. He then turned his attention to farming on his father's homestead and this property he has since managed. He has eighty acres under cultivation and has improved the farm in every particular, making it a valuable and productive property.
On January 1, 1908, Mr. Allen married Miss Bertha E. Delp, a native of, Iowa, and they have two children: G. Earl, who was born May 11, 1909; and Ralph K., born July 24, 1911.
Mr. Allen is independent in his political views and particularly interested in school affairs, serving at the present time as secretary of the school board. He has lived in Ingham township from his birth to the present time and his upright and honorable life has merited the warm and lasting regard of those with whom he has been brought in contact.
John S. Allinson
Since 1882 John S. Allinson has been identified with agricultural interests of Franklin county as the owner of a fine farm of two hundred acres on section 4, Reeve township. He was born in Wisconsin, August 14, 1847, and is a son of Robert and Martha (Coatsworth) Allinson, natives of England. The parents came to America in 1830 and located immediately in Wisconsin, whence they moved to Illinois, where they resided until their deaths. To their union were born eight children: Margaret, the widow of Robert Robson, of Spokane, Washington; Mary and Hannah, deceased; Robert C., who died in the Union army during the Civil war; Thomas R., of Lena, Illinois; John S., of this review; Joseph, a resident of Montana; and James, of Cripple Creek, Colorado.
John S. Allinson began his independent career at the age of twenty-three, teaching school during the winters and farming in the summer months. In 1882 he came to Franklin county and bought two hundred acres of land on section 4, Reeve township, upon which he has since resided. The years have brought him an enviable degree of success, and his farm is today one of the best improved in the township, equipped with substantial barns and outbuildings and supplied with all the necessary machinery. Mr. Allinson owns in addition a section of land in North Dakota.
On the 24th of December, 1874, Mr. Allinson married Miss Mary Jane Walton, a native of Lafayette county, Wisconsin, and they have become the parents of six children: Cora, the wife of Howard Paul, of North Dakota; Mary and Martha, at home; William R., a resident of North Dakota; Charles, of Wyoming; and Nellie, at home.
Mr. Allinson is a member of the Methodist church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party, taking an intelligent interest in community affairs without being active as an office seeker. He is never neglectful of the duties of citizenship, however, and his influence has been a tangible force for good in the community.
A. C. Anderson
Since 1878 A. C. Anderson has been engaged in farming in Franklin county and he is today the owner of a valuable property of three hundred and twenty acres in Richland township. He was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, January 22, 1852, and is a son of Christian and Ellen Anderson, natives of Norway. They crossed the Atlantic in a sailing vessel in 1851 and after six weeks upon the ocean landed in America. They went by way of the canal and Great Lakes to Milwaukee and walked from that point to Madison. They made their home in Dane county, Wisconsin, until 1855 and then moved to Iowa, locating in Butler county, where the father died in the same year. The mother afterward married Paul Rude, and died at Cedar Falls, Iowa, at the age of eighty-five.
A. C. Anderson spent his boyhood in Butler county and there remained until 1878. In that year he came to Franklin county and bought one hundred and twenty acres of unimproved land in Richland township. To this he has since added at intervals until he now owns three hundred and twenty acres, all in a high state of cultivation. He has erected substantial buildings and provided the place with all the accessories necessary to the conduct of a modern farming property. The entire place reflects his careful supervision and is a valuable addition to the agricultural resources of the locality.
Mr. Anderson married Miss Isabelle Jacobson, a native of Wisconsin, and they have become the parents of seven children: Eva, the. wife of William Hunt of Cerro Gordo county, Iowa; Julia, who married Harry York, of Edmonton, Alberta; Ellen, the wife of Ed Letzring, of Mason City; Minnie; Ida; Albert; and Clara, who is attending school in Mason City.
Mr. Anderson is a member of the Lutheran church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party, serving for fifteen years as school director. The long period of his residence here has made him widely and favorably known, for he has followed always the most straightforward business methods and the highest and most honorable personal standards.
Benjamin F. Andrews
Benjamin F. Andrews, who since July, 1897, has served with credit and ability as postmaster of Latimer, was born in Indiana, May 22, 1843. He is a son of George F. and Christiana (Hunt) Andrews, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Connecticut. The parents moved to Illinois about 1855, and in that state the father conducted a hotel for several years. In 1877 he moved to Wright county, Iowa. His death occurred in South Dakota. His wife has also passed away. To their union were born eleven children: Pholinda, Eliza and Wallace, all of whom have passed away; Washington, who died in Andersonville prison during the Civil war; Benjamin F., of this review; Minerva, deceased; Ralza, of Nebraska; Seth, who has passed away; Orro, also deceased; Myron, of South Dakota; and Oscar, at the Cherokee Hospital.
Benjamin F. Andrews was reared in Indiana and Illinois and when he was eighteen years of age enlisted in Company G, Third Missouri Cavalry, going to the front September 4, 1861, and receiving his honorable discharge at St. Louis, Missouri, November 4, 1864. He returned to Illinois and thence in 1865 came to Franklin county, Iowa, locating in Hampton, where he was for several years in the harness business. He afterward turned his attention to farming and followed this occupation successfully for eleven years. At the end of that time he moved to Latimer and in July, 1897, was appointed postmaster of the city, a position which he has held continuously since that time and the duties of which he discharges in a prompt, systematic and capable manner.
On the 7th of July, 1869, Mr. Andrews married Miss Catherine C. Inman, a native of Illinois, who died March 27, 1913. To their union were born four children, the eldest of whom died in infancy. The others are: Arthur H., born February 12, 1873, now assisting his father; Ashley C., engaged in the implement business at Latimer; and Lucy, the wife of Robert Givens, of Marion township. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Methodist church and is connected fraternally with the Grand Army of the Republic. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served as deputy sheriff and in a number of township offices. During the period of his residence in Latimer he has become widely and favorably known and he holds the esteem and confidence of all with whom business or official relations have brought him into contact.
E. P. Andrews, a prominent attorney of Franklin county, who since 1888 has practiced in Hampton, was born in Salem, Henry county, Iowa, July 14, 1853. He is a son of John H. and Rebecca A. (Strahl) Andrews, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ohio. The father was one of the first merchants in Salem and carried on business there until his death, which occurred when he was thirty-one years of age. His wife passed away in California.
E. P. Andrews acquired his early education in the district schools near Salem and afterward attended college there. Subsequently he became a student in Earlham College at Richmond, Indiana, where he remained until 1873. In that year he went to Missouri, where he engaged in teaching for four years, when, through the influence of his uncle, E. Andrews, who was a trustee of the State Reform School at Eldora, Iowa, he secured a position as teacher in that institution, filling the position with credit and ability for a year, or from 1877 to 1878. It was his desire, however, to become a member of the bar and in the latter year he entered the law office of King & Henley, of Hampton, and in 1879 successfully passed the required examination that secured him admission to the bar. He located for practice in Rockford, Iowa, but in April, 1888, removed to Hampton and bought out the practice of D. W. Henley, of the firm of Henley & Bedell. Four years later this partnership was dissolved and Mr. Andrews has since continued alone. He is accorded a large and distinctively representative clientage, for he is recognized as a strong, able and resourceful practitioner of keen sagacity and unquestioned professional integrity. It is not only his comprehensive knowledge of the law which makes him a leading attorney, his services greatly in demand, but as a fellow practitioner expressed it: "it is his ability to take advantage of the slightest opening to further his client's case which stands out so eminently in his career." This feature of his success was notable in connection with the Rush murder case, in which he was attorney for the defense. At length all of the evidence in the case was in. The court room had been crowded for days by spectators who wished to hear the arguments, but he properly judged the impression left upon the jury by the defendant's testimony and refrained from making any argunient whatever, feeling that the impression of the testimony was so strong that it needed no further comment. He was rewarded by having his client acquitted, and his course indicated that he with his keen discrimination had exactly understood the conditions. He took a stand, very rarely taken, in a suit of such serious character. Many a lawyer would not have missed his opportunity to make a speech, thinking thereby to strengthen the cause, but Mr. Andrews' sagacity and clear vision enabled him to fully comprehend the situation and his course was favorably commented upon throughout the state and especially by members of the bench and bar. He had studied the case thoroughly, saw the weak points in the prosecution and by his able manner of questioning and cross-questioning had so impressed the real facts upon the minds of the jury that the result was acquittal. It is well known that he always prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care and his devotion to his clients' interests is proverbial. Aside from his profession Mr. Andrews has business interests, being now a director and stockholder in the Citizens National Bank, a stockholder in the Franklin County State Bank, and the owner of about four hundred acres of land.
On the 31st of October, 1883, Mr. Andrews married Miss Jennie C. Durkee and they have become the parents of two children: Maud F., a graduate of Grinnell College; and Robert S., who is now a student in Grinnell College. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Congregational church, is connected with the Masonic fraternity, and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. Throughout his residence in Hampton he has ever enjoyed in the highest degree the respect and confidence of his fellowman, and his worth as a man and a citizen as well as a lawyer is widely acknowledged.
Robert G. Argent
Robert G. Argent, operating the Argent homestead of one hundred and twenty acres on sections 12 and 13, Reeve township, was born in Geneva township, this county, December 23, 1881. He is a son of Thomas F. and Elizabeth (Ginn) Argent, natives of Jo Daviess county, Illinois, who came to Franklin county in April, 1876. Both died in 1912, the father passing away on the 11th of March, and the mother on the 28th of December. To their union were born six children: William, of Reeve township; Nettie, at home, John, of Steele, North Dakota; Jennie, at home; Robert G., of this review; and Thomas, engaged in the livery business in Hampton, Iowa. Of these children, William married Osie Connor, who passed away leaving four children, Harold, Evan, Thomas and Lester.
Robert G. Argent was reared upon his father's farm and from his childhood aided in its operation, becoming in this way familiar at an early age with the best and most practical agricultural methods. After the death of his father he and his sisters purchased the homestead, and this property Mr. Argent has since managed. It comprises one hundred and twenty acres and is well improved in every particular, reflecting the care and management of a practical and able agriculturist.
Mr. Argent attends the Methodist church, is connected fraternally with the Knights of Pythias and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. Although he is still a young man he has already demonstrated his ability and worth and will undoubtedly be carried forward into important relations with agricultural interests of his locality.
Harry G. Arthur, a well known druggist of Hampton, was born at Council Hill, Illinois, March 9, 1880. He is a son of William H. and Margaret F. (Perry) Arthur, also natives of Illinois, who came to Iowa in 1882, locating near Hansell. Both now reside at Mitchell, South Dakota, where the father engages in farming. To their union were born five children: William R., a physician in Hampton; Harry G., of this review; Ethel, who died in childhood; Frank, of Illinois; and Fred, who died in childhood.
Harry G. Arthur was only two years of age when his parents moved to Iowa. He acquired his education in the public schools of Hansell and in the university at Cedar Falls. He afterward studied pharmacy at Highland Park College in Des Moines and passed the state board of examiners, receiving his certificate as a registered pharmacist. He began his independent career as a druggist in the employ of E. M. Funk, of Hampton, holding this position while he was still attending school. He afterward moved to Mason City, Iowa, and was there employed in the drug business for one and a half years. At the end of that time he formed a partnership with S. C. Anderson and they bought out C. Marshall's drug business in Hampton, which they conducted together for one year and a half, after which Mr. Arthur purchased his partner's interests. Since that time he has conducted the business alone with a success which finds its best evidence in his large and growing patronage.
On the 15th of January, 1907, Mr. Arthur married Miss Alta M. Elphic, a native of Nebraska, and to their union have been born three children: Doris M., whose natal day was August 26, 1908; Harry G., Jr., born March 22, 1910; and Chester Edward, born January 28, 1912. Mr. Arthur is a member of the Methodist church, is connected fraternally with the Elks, the Masons, in which order he has attained the thirty-second degree, and the Knights of Pythias, and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He is recognized as a young man of progressive ideas and laudable ambition and will undoubtedly reach a high place in commercial circles of Hampton.
Harry G. Arthur
Archie B. Atkinson
Archie B. Atkinson is carrying on general farming and stock-raising upon one hundred acres of land in Mott township, constituting a portion of the farm upon which he was born November 21, 1870. He is a son of J. A. Atkinson, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. The subject of this review remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age and then rented eighty acres of land, upon which he carried on general farming until 1913. In that year he moved upon one hundred acres of the old homestead and has since operated this property, engaging in general farming. He has been very successful and has today a valuable and productive farm worthy of comparison with the finest in this locality.
On the 27th of January, 1892, Mr. Atkinson was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Doidge of Illinois, a daughter of Thomas and Carrie (Jolly) Doidge, natives of England. The parents came to Iowa in 1887 and the father farmed in this state until his death. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson have become the parents of five children: Annie, who was born December 16, 1892; Eva, born November 12, 1895; Maude, born April 27, 1898; Lottie, May 21, 1901; and Joseph, March 7, 1903.
The parents attend the Methodist church and the children are members of the Sunday school. Mr. Atkinson is connected fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Masonic order. He supports the republican party and has been a member of the school board and is now assessor of Mott township. His life has been such as to merit the respect of his fellowman, and by his honesty, uprightness and industry he has contributed much toward the upbuilding of the community, of which he is a representative citizen.
Frank R. Atkinson
Frank R. Atkinson, engaged in general farming on section 15, Mott township, was born in Hampton, February 22, 1878, and is a son of John Atkinson, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Mr. Atkinson of this review attended school in Hampton and when he began his independent career worked in William Beed's feed store for four years. He afterward worked in H. O. Beed's hardware store two years, then followed carpentering for three years and then turned his attention to general farming. He is now farming two hundred and eighty acres in Mott township.
On the 21st of February, 1907, Mr. Atkinson was united in marriage to Miss Netha Law, a native of Illinois, who came to Franklin county in 1894, locating in Hampton. Her father was at that time a. traveling salesman and is now engaged in farming in Cherokee county. In his family were ten children: Mabel, the wife of H. Klingensmith, of Cherokee county; Marvin, deceased; Netha, the wife of our subject; Hollan, of Cherokee county; Alta, the wife of Irvin Whyte, of Cherokee county; and Ellen, Charles, Glenn, Lester and Leta, all of Cherokee. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson have become the parents of a son, Robert Lynn, born April 18, 1908. Mr. Atkinson is a member of the Baptist church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. Success has attended his well directed efforts, and he now occupies an enviable position in agricultural circles.
Joseph A. Atkinson is the owner of a valuable farm comprising one half section of land in Franklin county in addition to a commodious and attractive home which he occupies in Hampton. His has been a busy, active and useful life and now at the age of seventy-six years he well deserves the rest which he is enjoying. There are few men of his years who can claim Iowa as their native state, but he is a representative of one of the oldest families and is himself numbered among the honored pioneers of Iowa. His birth occurred in Dubuque, February 18, 1837, his parents being Archibald and Phyllis (Adams) Atkinson, both of whom were natives of England and were of Scotch descent. The father was a miner by occupation. He continued a resident of the land of hills and heather until 1835, when he crossed the broad Atlantic to the new world, settling in Dubuque. He died in Wisconsin and his wife spent her last days in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The family numbered eight children: John, now a resident of Hampton; Mary, the wife of John Hooper, whose home is in Minneapolis; Joseph A.; Belle, who is the widow of Milton Sanford, of Dubuque, Iowa; Catherine, the wife of Robert Gale, of Colorado Springs, Colorado; Elizabeth, the wife of W. J. Johnson, a resident of Platteville, Wisconsin; Archie, who makes his home in Minneapolis; and Phyllis, the wife of Edward Beard of Britt, Iowa.
Joseph A. Atkinson is truly a self-made man for he started out in life empty-handed and whatever success he has achieved is the logical outcome and merited reward of his own labors. In early youth he worked by the month on farms and in 1859, when but twenty-two years of age, he went to Colorado. Subsequently he spent some time in Montana, his attention being devoted to mining while in the west. In 1865 he returned to the Mississippi valley, settling in Grant county, Wisconsin, where he conducted a hotel for five years. He next purchased a half section of land in connection with his brother in the townships of Mott and Washington and eight years afterward purchased his brother's interest. He now owns a half section and the property is valuable and well improved. It brings to him a good financial return, enabling him to live retired and yet enjoy the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. Since removing to Hampton he has purchased a fine residence on Franklin street and is there spending the evening of life in the enjoyment of well earned rest.
On the 25th of December, 1862, Mr. Atkinson was united in marriage to Miss Anna L. Lukey, and they traveled life's journey happily together for almost twenty-seven years, when they were separated by the hand of death March 26, 1889, Mrs. Atkinson being called to the home beyond. In their family were two daughters and four sons: Eva D., who died in childhood; Jesse, a resident of Minneapolis; Elmer, who is living on the old home farm in Washington township; Archie, who occupies his father's farm in Mott township; Lottie, the wife of F. Bender, a resident farmer of Richland township; and Ralph, who died on the 19th of September, 1911. On the 3d of May, 1890, he married Mrs. Sarah Wilson, the widow of I. Wilson. She is of English descent, both of her parents, John and Ann (Jagger) Bastian, being natives of England. Mrs. Atkinson came to this country when two years of age, the family settling in Galena, Illinois, where the father engaged in farming. By her first marriage Mrs. Atkinson is the mother of three children: William Wilson, of Hampton, Iowa; Joseph Wilson, of Mason City, where he is employed in the fire department; and James Wilson, of Watertown, South Dakota, engaged in the automobile business.
In his political views Mr. Atkinson is a republican. He has served on the school board but has never sought political office. Fraternally he is a Mason and Odd Fellow and a Knight of Pythias and is most loyal to the teachings of those different organizations and equally faithful as a member of the Methodist church. His life has been quietly passed, unmarked by any spectacular phases, but loyalty to duty and principle has established him high in public regard and gained for him the warm friendship of all with whom he has been brought in contact.
Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Atkinson
Reuben Atkinson, who has been a resident of Franklin county for more than three decades, was for a number of years actively and successfully identified with agricultural pursuits in Clinton township and is now living retired at Sheffield. His birth occurred in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, on the 27th of June, 1853, his parents being David and Jane (Raisbeck) Atkinson, natives of England. David Atkinson was a farmer of Jo Daviess county, Illinois, and there both he and his wife passed away.
Reuben Atkinson spent his boyhood on a farm and attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education. In the spring of 1882, when a young man of twenty-nine years, he came to Franklin county, Iowa, and purchased a slightly improved tract of land comprising eighty acres. There he carried on agricultural pursuits throughout the remainder of his active business career and as his financial resources increased, owing to his untiring industry and capable management, extended the boundaries of his farm by additional purchase until he now owns three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land in Ross and Clinton townships. Six years ago, however, he put aside the active work of the fields and removed to Sheffield, where he is now living in honorable retirement, leaving the operation of his farm to his sons. He likewise owns forty-two acres of timber land in Richland township and is widely recognized as one of the substantial, respected and representative citizens of his adopted county.
In Illinois Mr. Atkinson wedded Miss Henrietta James, a native of Jo Daviess county, by whom he had six children, as follows: David, who resides on his father's farm in Ross township and who married Miss Minnie Ingebretson, a daughter of Albert and Johanna Ingebretson, the former a large landowner of Franklin county and also engaged in the live stock business; Herbert H., who married Miss Julia Whitney and also lives on his father's farm; Henry R., who is engaged in business at Fayette, Iowa; Emeline, a student in the Upper Iowa University at Fayette; John, who died at the age of eighteen years; and one who passed away in infancy.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Atkinson has cast his ballot in support of the men and measures of the republican party. Both he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which he is especially active. For twenty-two years he has served as superintendent of the Sunday school, class leader and also as a member of the official board. Fraternally he is identified with the Modern Brotherhood of America. Both Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson are held in high esteem in Sheffield, where they have an extensive circle of warm friends, while the hospitality of the best homes is freely accorded them.
Mr. & Mrs. Reuben Atkinson
John W. Atzbaugh
Among the successful farmers of Franklin county is numbered John W. Atzbaugh, who since 1894 has owned and operated a fine property of one hundred and forty acres on section 13, Lee township. He was born in Stephenson county, Illinois, October 24, 1858, and is a son of John and Mary (Mondic) Atzbaugh, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Germany. They came to Iowa in 1869, and both passed away in this state, the former dying in 1889. In their family were four children: Mary, the wife of H. Grice; John W., of this review; and Christina and Daniel, deceased.
John W. Atzbaugh acquired his education in the public schools of Hardin county, and when he began his independent career at the age of nineteen turned his attention to farming. After a few years he secured employment in a machine shop in Ackley and at the end of one year became connected with a repair shop in Bradford. In 1894 he purchased one hundred and forty acres of land on section 13, Lee township, and he now has this farm in a high state of cultivation, equipped with substantial buildings and modern machinery. In addition to general farming interests he pays some attention to stock-raising and has met with excellent success in this line.
On the 16th of April, 1881, Mr. Atzbaugh married Miss Mary Ritchmeier, and they have become the parents of six children: Rosa, the wife of Mike Smith of Rockford, Illinois; Clara, at home; Frank, of Hampton; Mary, at home; William, a resident of Hampton; and Lilly, at home. Mr. Atzbaugh is a member of the Masonic order and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. In his business dealings he has ever been straightforward and reliable, enjoying in the fullest degree the confidence of those with whom he has been associated.
1914 Biography Index
was last modified on November 14, 2006
©2006 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.