Franklin co. IAGenWeb

1883 Biographies
History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

Y & Z


W. R. Yelland, born in Chelsea, Mass., in 1838, is a son of William H. and Mary Ann Yelland. When seven years of age, he, with his parents, moved to Illinois, and settled in Jo Daviess county, near the county seat. There he grew up to manhood on his father's farm, receiving a liberal common school education. He continued to live with his father until he was twenty-five years of age, when he rented a farm adjoining his father's farm, on which he lived for one year. He then went to Wisconsin to take charge of his father-in-law's extensive stock farm, and remained there until 1877, when he came to Iowa, and settled in Ross township. He bought 160 acres of land, on section 6, where he now lives, having a well improved farm, well stocked, and with good buildings. The land is worth $30 per acre. Mr. Yelland is at present a member of the school board in his own town. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and one of the trustees of his lodge at this time. He was married in November, 1873, to Sarah G. Oliver, a native of LaFayette Co., Wis. They are the parents of five children — Oliver, Jessie, Myra, Florence and an infant. On the farm there is a very fine orchard of choice trees. At the time the writer was present there was an old log house on the place, known as the pioneer postoffice, in a fair state of preservation. (Chapter 31, Ross twp. page 554)
John M. Yenter, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, came to Pennsylvania when twenty-one years old. He remained there eleven years, and then went to Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1867 came to Franklin county, settling on section 22, in Geneva township. He was the first to start the thriving German settlement in that township. While a resident of Dubuque, he worked at mason work, and also in the lead mines. He was first married in Pennsylvania to Mary Klent, by whom he had two children, one of which is still living — Martin. His wife died before he left Pennsylvania, and he married again. By the second wife he had two children. His third wife was the widow of Christopher Bolinger, by whom he has had four children. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp.; pages 354-355)


J. G. Zimmerman, one of the leading farmers of Ross township, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Union Co., Aug. 23, 1817. His parents, Christian and Sarah (Graybill) Zimmerman, were both born in Union Co., Penn. The father was a carpenter and farmer. At the age of seventeen J. G. learned the trade of shoemaker, at Richfield, Junista Co., Penn., and worked at that vocation for ten years. His health began to fail, and he then embarked in the general merchandise business at Richfield. In 1852 he removed to Iowa, and bought land in Clayton county. Mr. Zimmerman erected the first building in the town of Luana. After remaining there two years he sold his property and returned to Pennsylvania, where he resided one year. He then returned to Iowa, and located at Springfield, Clayton county, and engaged in mercantile business, until 1865, from which date he has been a resident of Franklin county. He located on section 16, Ross township, and first bought eighty acres, which he began to improve, and now has one of the best farms in the township, comprising 365 acres, 320 of which are under cultivation. He has fifty head of cattle, eleven horses and mules, and raises about fifty hogs annually. In 1878 Mr. Zimmerman erected his present house, which is large and commodious. He has also a fine orchard containing about 250 trees in bearing condition. He values his land at $30 per acre. The subject of this sketch has been married twice. His first wife was Catherine Schafer, whom he married Nov. 2, 1840. She bore him five children, only one of whom survives — Sarah A. Mrs. Zimmerman died and Mr. Zimmerman subsequently married Maria E. Rigel, who was born in Union Co., Penn., in 1830. They have had ten children — Orrin C, Adoniram J., David A., Jane E. (deceased), Mary C, Cynthia D., Leila M., Jacob F., George G. and Charlotte L. Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerman are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Zimmerman has held the offices of trustee, school director and road supervisor. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for twenty-eight years, and assisted in the organization of the first Masonic lodge in Clayton county. He is also an Odd Fellow. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., page 544)
O. C. Zimmerman, proprietor of the Sheffield billiard hall, was born in Clayton Co., Iowa, in 1853. Soon afterward his parents went to Pennsylvania, but in less than two years returned to Clayton county, where they remained for ten years and then came to Franklin county and settled on the farm adjoining Sheffield, where his father still lives. During his younger days, O. C. Zimmerman spent some time in a store, but was on a farm the most of the time, receiving such an education as the district schools afforded. In 1877, he was married, bought a farm and started out for himself. He now owns in all 280 acres of land in different places. During the winter of 1882-3 he moved into Sheffield and fitted up the billiard hall which he now runs. Mr. Zimmerman is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Masonic fraternities. He is father of three children — J. J., Clara May and Effie. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp.; pg 337)


1883 Biography Index

This page was created June 9, 2013
2013 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.