1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

S

~*~*~

George Schollein, of Schollein Brothers, was born in Westmoreland Co., Penn., in 1839. His father, Matthias, was a tailor, and in 1854 he and his son George came to Iowa and settled in Dubuque county. George spent two years on a farm, receiving a common school education. At the age of seventeen he commenced to learn the carpenter trade, which he followed in Dubuque county until 1874, when he went to Dubuque city and clerked in his brother's store for one year. In 1876 he came to Chapin and commenced his present business of general merchandise, in which he is doing well. In 1862 he went into the army in the 21st Iowa Volunteer Infantry, company F, serving for twenty months, as musician. He was in the siege of Vicksburg, and battles of Jackson and Hartsville, Mo. He was discharged because of disabilities. He has been justice of the peace for some time, and a member of the school board. In politics he is a democrat. He was married in 1861 to Mary Ann Simpson, a native of Pennsylvania. They have had seven children — Emma J., Anna M., Minnie E., James M., Charlotte Blanche, Mary A. and Emanuel Washington. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 553-554)
Ferdinand Schulz was born at Schwiebus, Germany, June 17, 1849. He came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1876, and at once located in Morgan township, where he has since resided. He received his education in his native land, where he lived until 1872, when he came to the United States, settling first in Livingston Co., Ill. There he remained four years, working first as a farm hand, but after acquiring a sufficient knowledge of the English language, he engaged in teaching. During the time of the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, he was employed by the German commissioners in their department. Since coming to Iowa he has also been engaged as teacher in the public schools of this vicinity the greater part of his time. He was elected township clerk in 1879, and has held that office, nearly ever since. In 1878 he was married to Mary C. Wesenberg, who was born in Fond du Lac, Wis., Feb. 3, 1858. They have three children — Daniel E., Carl W. and an infant. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 472-473)
Henry Scott owns an excellent farm of 120 acres, on section 35, Mott township. He was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Nov. 0, 1827, and is a son of John and Sarah (Smalley) Scott. He attained his majority in his native county and there learned the blacksmith's trade. In 1848, he settled in Greene Co., Wis., and pursued his trade for a livelihood. He opened a shop at Hampton in 1865, and, after three years' labor, decided on an agricultural life and purchased his farm. He was married in 1851 to Sylvania Duel, a native of New York. Following are the names of their eight children — Lucy Ann, Oscar, John C.F., Sarah, Clara, Eugene, Alice and Ernst. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 481)
Edward Scuntlebury came to Iowa in 1876, settling first in Wayne county, where he farmed two years, removing then to Hamilton, where he purchased 160 acres on section 16, and since that time has been successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising, his stock being all graded. He rents the adjoining 120 acres and farms heavily, together with dairying. He was born in England, in 1834, and received a limited education, being brought up on a farm. In 1867, he emigrated to America, going first to Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where he engaged in farming thirteen years, when he went prospecting through Kansas, Oregon, California and other States until 1876. He was married, in 1863, to Elizabeth Ormrod, also a native of England. William, Charles, Josephine, Frank, Ella and Edward, Jr., are their children. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 377-378)
David F. Selix is the son of Simon and Diantha (Hall) Selix, who were among the pioneer settlers of Ingham township The family, including father, mother and five children, settled in Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1856: David Selix was born in Whiteside Co., Ill., Jan. 16, 1847. He attended the first schools of this township and, at twenty years of age, went to Kansas, where he found employment near Fort Scott for one year, when he took a claim in Labette county. He remained there four years and then came back to Franklin county. Six months later he returned to Kansas, where he remained about eighteen months, and returned permanently to Franklin county and bought 120 acres of first-class land on section 12, Ingham township. Nearly all his land is now under the plow, and he is making rapid improvements of various kinds. He was married in March, 1881, to May Hanna, who was born in Wisconsin. Her parents came from Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Selix have two children — Sheridan, born Dec. 18, 1881, and an infant daughter, Winnafred C, born April 5, 1883. Mr. Selix is a republican in politics. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 435-436)
Simon Selix, residing on section 13, to which he moved in 1856, is the son of David and Cecelia (Fletcher) Selix, natives of the Blue Ridge Mountains, from which they removed in 1806 to Muskingum Co., Ohio, where Simon was born, Jan. 1, 1818, and where the father died in 1858. In 1845, Mr. Selix moved to Bureau Co., Ill., and the following year to Whiteside county, where he engaged in farming and carpentering until 1856, when he came to Franklin county, where he has since made his home. In 1872 he erected a good frame house, which was destroyed by fire, with most of its contents, March 11, 1873. This disaster made it necessary for him to again occupy the log house, which had been his home so many years. March 4, 1841, he married Diantha H., a daughter of Justus and Diantha Hall, of Morgan Co., Ohio. They have had thirteen children, nine of whom are living — Justus H., David F., George H., William H., Eleanor E., James N., Cecelia D., Mary S. and Julia A. They are members of the M. E. Church, and Mr. Selix is a good citizen. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 435)
Charles Seney, a son of Robert and Jane (Wilson) Seney, was born in Canada, Sept. 17, 1854. He came to Iowa with his parents, settling with them first in Clayton county, coming to Franklin county in 1871. In June, 1877, he settled on section 27, and since that time by hard work, energy and economy, he has succeeded in making for himself and family a fine home. He now owns 800 acres of land in Franklin county, nearly all of which is improved. On the 20th of June, 1878, he married Mary Rowe. They have one child — Anna Zulema. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 560)
Robert Seney was born in Durham, Canada, May 22, 1826. His early life was spent on his father's farm. He received a common school education. In 1850 he was married to Jane Wilson, a native of Canada. In 1862 he came to Iowa, locating in Clayton county, where he engaged in farming. In 1864 he had nearly all of his effects destroyed by fire. In 1871 he removed to Franklin county and settled on section 23, Richland township, where he owns a fine farm of 280 acres, all under cultivation. Mr. Seney has ever taken an active part in politics, and has held several local offices. Mr. and Mrs. Seney's living children are — John, Charlotte, Freeman, Sidney, Robert, George, Henry E. and Jennie. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 559-560)
James Sharpe settled in 1875. He was born in Ireland, in 1813, and came to America in 1872, settling in Butler Co., Iowa. He was there for two years and then, in 1875, came to this township and settled on section 22, engaging in the stock-raising business. He was married, in 1837, to Elizabeth Irwin. They had nine children, all coming to this county together. In religion Mr. Sharpe is a Presbyterian, His wife being a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a republican. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 378)
J. J. Sharpe, son of James and Elizabeth Sharpe, was born in Ireland, in 1859. He was brought up on a farm, receiving a common school education; came to America, in 1871, and settled in Butler county, where he rented land until he came to Hamilton township, in 1875, and bought the eighty-acre farm where he now lives, his father living with him. He deals in Durham cattle and a graded Norman horse, having fifty head of stock, besides five horses. In religion he is a Presbyterian. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 378)
Amos Shepherd purchased and moved to his present home in 1873 He was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, Jan. 1, 1817, where he grew to manhood, had good school advantages and followed teaching several years. He was married, in his native county, in 1840, to Isabel Moore, born in Ohio, in 1815. In 1853, he moved his family to Cumberland Co., Ill., and, in 1862, to Marion Co., Iowa. The following year he came to Franklin county, taking a homestead of seventy-one acres upon which he lived for some time, then removed to Maysville, and from there to his present home. His wife died April 3, 1863. By this marriage he had seven children — Leander C., Levica C., Mary B., Anne E., David A., James W. and Thayer F.


Amos & Elizabeth (Sparling) Shepherd

He was again married, March 16, 1865, to Mrs. Elizabeth Sparling. She was born in Indiana Co., Penn., in 1826. Mr. and Mrs. Shepherd are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Maysville. Mr. Shepherd is a republican and has held the office of justice of the peace about fifteen years. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 522-523; portrait pgs 526 & 527)

Henry Shroyer. The first school fund commissioner was Henry Schroyer, who was elected in August, 1865. Henry Schroyer settled in Franklin county, in 1854, coming from Muncie, Delaware Co., Ind. He was not an educated man, but was possessed of good natural ability. He was an active politician and was an efficient officer, serving his constituents with good satisfaction. He left the county in 1859 and moved to Mahaska county. (Chapter 8, Educational, pg. 193)

The second county judge of Franklin county was Henry Shroyer who was elected in the fall of 1869. Henry Shroyer came here from Indiana in 1856 and settled near Maysville, in Reeve township. He was a married man and had a large family. He was a republican, a man of fair ability and made a good officer. During the latter part of the decade tetween 1860 and 1870, Shroyer moved to Mahaska county, this State, where in 1882, he was still living, engaged in farming. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 254)

Lewis Shroyer came to Franklin county in the spring of 1855, and first stopped at Maysville, where he worked at carpenter work two years, that being his trade, when he went to Mayne's creek, and ran a saw mill eight years, after which he obtained an interest in it. In the spring of 1865, he moved to the farm where he still lives. He was born in West Virginia in 1832. His parents were natives of the same State, the father born in 1807, the mother in 1810 and were married in 1830. In 1838, they emigrated to Delaware Co., Ind., where the father died in 1876, the mother in 1849. Lewis grew to manhood in that county, receiving his education in the log school house of that day, and followed farming and carpentering. He was married in the fall of 1856. to Joan Jones, born in Virginia in 1834. They have four children — D. W., Clara J., Martin L. and Victor E. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 517)
H.E. Shultz. The drug business of the place is represented by H. E. Shultz, who came to Dows, Nov. 10, 1880, built his present store building, and has since carried on a successful drug business. He was born near West Bend, Washington Co., Wis., in 1853. In 1865 he removed with his parents to Alden, Iowa, and in March, 1867, commenced to learn the blacksmith's trade with L. Rummel and stayed with him eleven years. April 27, 1879, he purchased a stock of drugs from M. Utley, of Alden, and carried on the business until he came to Dows, where he still resides. He attended the High School at West Bend, also attended three terms of school at Alden, but he may be termed a self made man, as he obtained his principal education by private study and reading. He is of German descent, his parents emigrating from Mecklenberg, Germany, two years before his birth. The father died at Alden; his mother still lives. He was the youngest of his father's family. He was married, April 2, 1879, to Lou F. Smith, born on Granadine Island, in the St Lawrence river, Feb. 20, 1854. They have one child — Lavita W. Mr. Schultz is a Mason and Odd Fellow. He casts his vote with the republican party and is now clerk of his township. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 476)
A.O. Sime one of the first of the Norwegian settlers in Oakland township, was born in Bergen, Norway, Dec. 16, 1833. He was a farmer in his native country, where he resided until he was twenty-seven years old. In 1860 he came to America and located first in La Fayette Co., Wis. He passed five years there and in 1865 went to clear Lake, Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, remaining but one year. The date of his arrival in Oakland was June 10, 1867. His first purchase of land was a tract of eighty acres, which he has added to, until he now owns 240 acres in this township, and twenty-five acres in Wright county. Mr. Sime is characterized by the traits of thrift, economy and careful management, which render his countrymen valuable citizens, and he has, as the reward of his industrious energy, a fine home and a large farm stocked with forty head of cattle, thirty-five hogs and ten horses. He was married in Wisconsin Dec. 27, 1861, to Anna Christenson, born in Norway. Five of their eight children are deceased. Those living are — Julianna, Oscar and Joseph. Mr. and Mrs. Sime are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. He is a republican and has served two terms as school director. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., pg 495-496)
William J. Singer was born in Oxford Co., Canada, Jan. 23, 1847. Soon after his birth his parents went into Niagara Co., N. Y. In 1854, William returned to Canada, but came back to the United States in 1856, and in 1864 enlisted in company H, 179th New York Infantry, serving until honorably discharged at Union, N. Y., at the close of the war. Soon after, he came west, spending a few years in Michigan and coming to Franklin county in 1873. Upon his arrival here he engaged in herding for a period of seven years; since that time he has been running the Chapin nursery. In 1871 he married Jeanette Weaver. By this union they have five children — Henry W., Idi E., Percy B., Wesley G. and E. W. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 560)
Joseph Slade is regarded as one of the enterprising farmers of West Fork. He was born in Hampshire, England, May 21, 1840. While a babe his mother died. An aunt living in Dorsetshire took him, with whom he lived until he was sixteen, when he emigrated to America to seek his fortune. He went to Winnebago, Ill., where he learned the blacksmith trade. He enlisted in company C, 67th Illinois Infantry, and after serving four months was taken sick and discharged on account of disability. After his return he was prostrated eight months, and has never fully recovered from the effects of his illness. He came to Franklin county in 1867, locating on section 5, West Fork, where he first bought forty acres. He had the first blacksmith shop in the township, which for years was the only one within a radius of six or seven miles, and had all the work he could attend to. He began life with nothing but an invincible determination to succeed, and, as a result, is the possessor of of 300 acres of farming land, and ten acres of timber. He has a productive orchard, with fine groves, which were started in 1868, making the place pleasant and attractive. He is also largely engaged in stock raising. In October, 1882 he formed a partnership, under the firm name of Hocking & Slade, and engaged in general merchandising in Sheffield, which is proving successful. He was married Oct. 31, 1863, to Rosa Burns, of Winnebago, Ill., whose parents emigrated from Massachusetts to Illinois, in 1857. Mr and Mrs. Slade are the parents of ten children — Melinda, wife of Irvin Scott, Thomas J., Minnie L., Charles H., Nellie, Nettie, Freddie, Lucy, Georgia and Chester Leroy. Politically, he is a republican. He has held the office of secretary of the township school board, and is now treasurer. He has been a director for a number of years. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 579)
J.W. Slocum located on section 36. He was born in Duchess Co., N. Y., in 1825. When three years of age his parents moved to Pennsylvania, where they died. They were of English descent, having ten children, J. W. Slocum being the eighth. He was married in 1847, to Emma Wood, born in Pennsylvania, in 1831, the third daughter of a family of seven children. Her father was a native of Duchess Co., N. Y., and her mother of Massachusetts In September, 1862, he enlisted in company D, 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry, serving until June 20, 1865. He was in the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Coal Harbor and numerous skirmishes. After his discharge, he returned to Pennsylvania, laboring at his trade which was that of a carpenter and joiner, removing to Iowa in 1869, where he has since followed farming. He is a republican, and has held the office of justice of the peace almost consecutively since coming. He is regarded as an excellent citizen, and is the father of eleven children, seven of whom are living — Floretta M., Aletta L., Carrie E., Jennie L., Annie J., Mary F. and Susan E. (Chapter 24, Lee twp., pg 458)
E.F. Smith, blacksmith and veterinary surgeon, learned his trade in Bradford Co., Penn., and settled in 1856, at Pontiac, Ill., going thence to Shellsburg, Iowa, in 1867 ho came to Hampton and opened a blacksmith shop, which he has since managed He has made a thorough study of veterinary surgery, and is the only practitioner in that art in the county. Mr. Smith was born in Bradford Co., Penn., Dec. 22, 1831, and there was his home during his minority. He was married in Illinois, in August, 1857, to Mary E. Scott. Their family band includes the following children — Christopher C., Charles E., Lillie M., Josephine and Milliard P. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 405)
Frank D. Smith became a citizen of Hampton, Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1870. He was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., Aug. 11, 1849. He is a son of David and Priscilla (Potter) Smith. In 1854, his parents came and settled in Whitewater, Wis., where he grew up on his father's farm and received a liberal education, first in the common school, and afterwards in the State Normal school and at the Albion Academy. When he came to Hampton, with his bro- ther, he went into the lumber trade, and has ever since been identified with the lumber interests at this place. Mr. Smith is a master mason and a member of Anchor Chapter, No. 61, at Hampton. In 1880, he was married to Ella I. Hemming, a native of Ohio. They have one child — Carrie H. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 409-410)
Obadiah Smith was the second surveyor, being elected in 1859, and three times thereafter re-elected. Obadiah Smith first came to Franklin county in April, 1855, and entered a claim for land on sections 27 and 28, of what is now Washington township. During the first summer he broke a few acres, and in the winter of 1855-6 he went east, returning the ensuing spring to Franklin county, where he has since been a resident. He has always been actively interested in county politics and has held most of the local offices. Mr. Smith was born in Rhode Island May 4, 1832. His life, previous to his locating in Iowa, was spent in his native State. In 1867 S. H. Vankirk was elected county surveyor, and served for one term. In October 1869, Obadiah Smith was again elected surveyor. In 1877 he was re-elected. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 259)
W.P. Smith. The second lumberyard in Hampton was established by W. P. Smith. In 1883, this line of trade was being represented by W. P. Smith, F. D. Smith and J. B. Gray. W. P. Smith has resided in Hampton, Franklin county, since June, 1870. He was born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., Jan. 14, 1834. His early life was spent on his father's farm, receiving a good common school education. In 1854, he came with his parents to Rock Co., Wis., where for some time he engaged in farming. He was afterwards engaged in the grocery business at Broadhead, and also in the lumber trade at Delaware, Wis. After coming to Hampton, in 1870, he, in company with his brother Frank, opened the first lumber yard at Hampton, in which business he has been actively engaged ever since. Mr. Smith is an active member of the M. E. Church. He is a master mason and a member of Anchor Chapter, No. 61, at Hampton. In 1856, he was married to Mary Locke. They have four children — Charles W., Carrie, Nellie and George. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 409)
Anthony Snyder, who came in 1878, is the son of Philip and Matilda Snyder. He was born in Chamberlain Co., Penn., in 1840, and came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1878, locating on section 32, Hamilton township, where he has 240 acres of land, on which he has made all the improvements. When he was seven years of age he came with his parents to Miami Co., Ohio, being there brought up on a farm and receiving a common sohool education. In 1873 he left Ohio and went to Kansas, remained there two years, then moved to Jones Co., Iowa, remained there three years and in 1878 came here. In May, 1864, he enlisted in the 147th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was for five years a member of the Ohio National Guards, and was a non-commissioned officer. He was present at Early's attack on Washington. He has been a town trustee since the fall of 1879. He is a member of the Odd Fellows. Mr. Snyder was married in 1868, to Madora Cramer, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of seven children, four living — Lucinda Jane, Nettie May, Argus Franklin and Lulu. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 378)
James M. Snyder is an extensive land-holder of Mott and Richland townships, and has resided in Franklin county since 1870, where he owns 500 acres of land, all under cultivation and well improved. Besides his agricultural and stock interests he operates an insurance business. He was born in Dauphin Co., Penn., April 14, 1843. His parents, James and Sarah Snyder, settled in Ogle Co., Ill., in 1855, where they reared their children, giving each a good education. During the rebellion Mr. Snyder enlisted in an Independent Cavalry company, furnishing his own horse and outfit; was 2d lieutenant of company A, Ogle County National Guards, Col. Brown, commanding. The services of the regiment were offered to the general government, but as the calls for troops were always promptly filled in northern Illinois, Gov. Yates refused to muster them into active service. Mr. Snyder is a democrat, has held most of the important offices in his township, and while secretary of the Franklin county agricultural society, rendered that organization important service. He was married, in 1867, to Nannie D. Murphy, a native of Ohio. They have two children — Jennie M. and Clinton Howard. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 489)
G.W. Soper has been a resident of Reeve township since 1856, his parents J. M. and Angeline (Gray) Soper, emigrating to Franklin county, at that time. He was born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., Jan. 23, 1837. He enlisted in 1861, in the 3d Iowa Battery, serving six months. For the past ten years he has been engaged in the stock business at Hampton, in which he has been very successful. He was married in 1857 to Constantia M. Leggett, a native of Ohio, by whom he had six children, five of whom are living — Florence A., Ella M., Charles M., Cora A. and Lu Verne W. His wife died in 1871. In 1872, he married Ella M. Brown. Their children are — Constantia E., Jessie M., Wallace W. and Leaverett Ingersoll. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 411)
J.M. Soper is an old settler of Reeve township. He is one of the leading farmers in the county, and for many years has been engaged in buying and selling stock, which he still follows, and in which he is very successful. He was born in Franklin Co., Vt., in 1815, and is a son of Joseph and Elicta (Mansfield) Soper. His father was a captain in the war of 1812, and his grandfather a soldier in the war of the Revolution. When J. M. Soper was six years of age, his parents removed to Franklin Co., N. Y., where he spent his boyhood and received a liberal education. The country being new and heavily timbered, he worked hard at clearing land and making potash and pearlash. He was married in 1836 to Angeline Gray, born in the State of New York in 1819. In 1851, he moved to Lake Co., Ill., where he remained two years, thence to Buchanan Co., Iowa, and in 1856, came to Franklin county, where he now lives. His wife died in September, 1869, leaving four children — George W., Wallace W., Lavina and Albert M. He was again married, in 1870, to Abagail Smith, a native of New York, born in 1827 and died in 1880. He was again married in 1881 to Rowena E. Merritt, who was born in Ohio, in 1844. Mr. Soper's farm consists of 236 acres, for which he paid $10 per acre. This land was entered by Mr. Mayne. In politics Mr. Soper is an independent. He has held various local offices in Franklin county, and stands high in the estimation of his neighbors. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 517-518)
Francis M. Springer was a native of what is now Jasper Co., Ill., born July 9, 1826. He is one of twins. His parents were David and Sally (Waddell) Springer. The father was born in Dutchess Co., N. Y., Nov. 17, 1797; the mother is a native of Jasper Co., Ill., born Nov. 14, 1811. They moved to Galena in the fall of 1832, where they died of cholera within twelve hours of each other. They left a family of five children. When Francis M. Springer was fifteen years of age, he came to Iowa, stopping two years in Linn county, then six years in Buchanan county, after which he returned to Galena, and then moved to Shulsburg, Wis., where he was married to Maria E. Green, Dec. 13, 1854. She was born in Jo Daviess Co., Ill., Aug. 14, 1836. In the following spring he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and settled at Maysville and helped survey the town site of that place. Here he remained till the fall of 1856, when, with his family, he returned to Jo Daviess county, but soon came back by ox team, camping out at night. They settled permanently in Reeve township, his present home. He is a staunch republican and has frequently been honored by local offices. They have four children — Elenora C. J., born Sept. 29, 1855, John G., Jan. 24, 1858, Albert N., Sept. 18, 1860 (deceased Aug. 6, 1881), Steven A., Aug. 29, 1864, and Bernard, Feb. 18, 1875. Mr. Springer was present at the first wedding in Franklin county. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 512)
A.D. St. Clair settled on section 10, Reeve township, Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1863.


A.D. St. Clair

He was born in Erie Co., N. Y., in 1839. His father was a native of Vermont, his mother of Massachusetts. When he was six years of age his parents moved to McHenry Co., Ill., where he received a good education, devoting the remainder of his time to teaching and farming. He went to Michigan in 1872, where he married Flerence J. Jackway, a native of Berrien Co., Mich., born in 1851. Mr. and Mrs. St. Clair are members of the First Baptist Church, of Hampton. They have three children — Winnie C., Edson D. and Frank E. Mr. St. Clair is a staunch republican, takes a deep interest in politics, and is at present chairman of the board of county supervisors, and has held other local offices with credit. He is regarded as an honorable citizen, and held in high esteem by all who know him. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 520; portrait pg 159)

G.H. Stackhouse first came to Franklin county in 1877. He rented a farm, remained on it one year, then removed to Kansas and lived on a claim there one year, but the next year came back to Franklin county and settled permanently on section 6, Ingham township, where he owns sixty-six acres of good land. He was born in Washington Co., Ohio, on the 17th of April, 1845. His father was a farmer and removed from Ohio to Decatur Co., Ind., where he remained eighteen years, then moved to Champaign Co., Ill., where G. H. lived for thirteen years. He there owned 160 acres of land. In August, 1862, G. H. Stackhouse enlisted in company F, 68th Indiana Infantry, being at that time only a little over sixteen years of age. At the battle of Mumfordsville, after being engaged with the enemy for two days, he was taken prisoner. He was taken to Bowling Green, Ky., and after being paroled, he, with his regiment, was sent to Indianapolis, where they were in camp until their exchange, in 1863. He then returned to the service, but on account of his youth, bis father took him from the army on a writ of habeas corpus. In 1865, he moved to Illinois and the next year, was married to Sophina Anship, of Indiana. He remained in Illinois until July, 1877, when he came first to Franklin Co., Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Stackhouse have three children — John Owen, born in Indiana; Ida and Carrie, born in Illinois. The parents are members of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Stackhouse has always been a democrat. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 446)
Emily Bell Stalker. A sketch of the life of Mrs. J. W. Stalker is here presented — Miss Emily Bell was born in Preston Hollow, Albany Co., N. Y., May 26, 1838. At the age of twelve years she was converted, baptized and became a member of the Baptist Church. In 1851 she removed to Salisbury, Herkimer Co., N. Y., and the following year to Broome county, same State. On Sept. 12, 1854, she was married to J. W Stalker, at Whitney's Point. Mrs. Stalker commenced theological study under the instruction of A. A. Lason, of Starkey Seminary, N. Y., and at the age of twenty entered the ministry of the Christian Church, at Glen Aubrey, N. Y , becoming missionary for the New York Northeast Conference, stationed at De Ruyter, Maralion, Harford and Otselic, where many members were added to the churches. In 1866 they came to Iowa, settling in Buchanan county, and organized the first Christian Church in the county at Greeley's Grove. In 1871 Mrs. Stalker was called to the pastoral work of a church at Strawberry Point, Clayton Co., Iowa, and organized a church at Honey Creek, Delaware Co. Mrs. Stalker was ordained at Moscow, Muscatine county, by Rev. J. F. Wade, of New York, assisted by J. Baker and G. Gillett, of Iowa, being the first woman ordained in Iowa, and the second in the United States. The following year she commenced active missionary work for the conference and traveled 5,000 miles, preaching one sermon a day, adding 400 to the membership, re-organizing four churches and building and dedicating one new chapel at Fulton. In 1874 Mrs. Stalker returned to the pastoral work at Greeley's Grove, but in a few months was urged and accepted a call to the church at Mayne's Grove, Franklin county, residing at Hampton. At the end of a year and a half, failing health compelled Mrs. Stalker to retire from active pulpit work. Mr. and Mrs. Stalker have one child — Nellie E. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 406-407)
J.W. Stalker was born in Albany Co., N. Y., May 12, 1834. He came to Iowa in 1865, settled in Fayette county and engaged in farming. He afterwards lived in the counties of Clayton, Buchanan and Jones, coming in 1874 to Hampton. Here he engaged in draying and has made a success of his business. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 406)
John T. Stearns must also be noted among the lawyers of Franklin county, although he never devoted his whole attention to practice. He was a native of Rensselaer Co., N. Y., born April 9, 1841. In 1856 he removed with his parents to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, his father settling upon a farm just east of Cedar Falls. In November, 1856, John entered the store of T. B. and H. H. Carpenter, at Cedar Falls, and when, in March, 1859, they decided to start a branch store at Hampton, they placed John, then only eighteen years old, in sole charge of the business. The room occupied was one directly adjoining the Hampton House, and afterwards became a part of it. Stearns bought the first wheat, and the first dressed hogs ever sold to any dealer in this county. The wheat he stored in a little house that stood where Dr. J. H. Hutching now resides, on Iowa street. In the spring of 1863, the Carpenter brothers closed out their store here, and John returned to Cedar Falls, but soon went to Dubuque, and secured a place as salesman in the house of John Bell & Co. But in 1864 he left and started a clothing store at Iowa Falls, and in 1865 sold out and came back to Hampton, entering into trade again at the same old stand. In the spring of 1866 he was appointed post-master at Hampton, and in the fall of 1866 erected and moved into the building which was afterward occupied by Isaac Robinson. In 1867 he sold out this establishment, and went into the hardware and agricultural implement business. From 1869 to 1873 he engaged in the real estate and insurance business, and in the latter year removed to O'Brien county, in the northwestern part of the State, where he remained about three years, returning here in 1876, when he became a partner in the real estate and insurance business, under the firm name of Stearns, King & Co., and continued in that line until 1881, when he removed to Chamberlain, D. T. , where he still lives. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 181)
E.H. Stenson came to the township in 1870, settling on section 21. He is a son of Michael and Elizabeth (Kelley) Stenson, born in Stephenson Co., Ill., Jan. 24, 1843, being the oldest of a family of six children. He grew to manhood on a farm, receiving a good common school education. In 1862, he left his father's farm and enlisted as a private in company I, 74th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving a little over three years. He was wounded at the battle of Resaca, Ga., May, 1864, in the left foot, and was an invalid for a long time, after which he was detached for light duty at Nashville, Tenn. He was transferred to the 36th, and did special duty as mail carrier at New Orleans La., for about five months. He was in the battles of Perryville, Ky., Stone River, Mission Ridge, and in many smaller engagements. He now receives a pension of two dollars per month. After he returned from the war he went to Stephenson Co., Ill., and engaged in farming until 1870, when he came to Iowa and settled on the farm in Hamilton township, where he has lived ever since. He has held nearly all the local offices in the town. He was school director for about six years, was town trustee four years, assessor three years, and has been town clerk for the past four years. He taught school in sub-district, No. 5, Hamilton township, two terms, in the winters of 1876-7 and 1882-3, and was secretary of the school board for about six years. He was married, Feb. 22, 1874, to Maria Underkaffler, a native of Wisconsin. They have three children — Lida, Cora and Jesse. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 377)
S.C. Stephen was the successor of M. B. Jones, as sheriff of Franklin county, being elected in the fall of 1881. S. C. Stephen came west in 1870, settling first in Vernon township, Wright county. He was a farmer there five years and managed the hotel at Alden two years later, after which, until 1881, he was proprieor of the Phoenix hotel at Hampton. He was then elected sheriff, and has proved himself a competent and efficient officer. Mr. Stevens (sic) was born in Grant Co., Wis., Dec. 20, 1840. His early life was spent in his native county, where his father was a pioneer, and who died there in June, 1881, at the advanced age of 84 years. Mr Stephens was married in 1861 to Jennie S. Stephens, a native of La Fayette Co., Wis. Their children are Arthur W., Frank M. and Laina M. In the spring of 1862, it should have been stated, Mr. Stephens and wife crossed the plains to California, where they remained for two years and then returned to Platteville, Wis., remaining in the latter place until they came west to stay in 1870. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 260)
W.C. Stickney came to Hampton in 1879, and was associated one year with T. H. Coble in the business in which that gentleman is now engaged. In 1881, he commenced operations as a harness maker and soon after embarked in pump manufacturing. He was born in Prince Edward county, province of Ontario, June 8, 1842. He passed the first twenty-seven years of his life in his native county and acquired a good common school education. In 1869, he went to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., and engaged in farming. A year later he settled in Butler Co., Iowa, and remained two years, returning to Canada. He was married in 1870, to Nancy E. Coble, born in La Fayette Co., Wis. Their four children living are — Edwin, Russell, Walter and Edna. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 410-411)
Thomas Stockdale came into Hamilton township in 1859, prior to which he had lived in Hardin county, where he had removed from Beloit, Wis. He was born in Ireland, in 1833, and his opportunities for an education were limited. In 1851, he emigrated to America, and settled in New York State, where he engaged in farming three years, then going to Wisconsin, he settled in Beloit, finally coming to his present home on section 26. He has 360 acres, under a good state of cultivation, valued at between $7,000 and $8,000. He has about seventy-five head of graded stock, and is energetic and successful. In politics he is a republican. He is a member of the Methodist Church, which, in 1881, he assisted largely in building. He was married in January, 1859, to Catherine Hamilton, who died in August, 1877, leaving four children — Stewart, Charles, Lucilla and Aaron. He was again married in September, 1878, to Caroline Killions, a native of Illinois. They have two children — Fred and Maggie. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 375-376)
Lovelett Stoddard came [to Geneva twp.] in 1860, having lived three years in Reeve township. He was born in Connecticut, in 1816, where he grew to manhood. He received a common school education, was married Sept. 6, 1840, in Connecticut, to Catherine E. Bishop, who was born in England, in 1818. In 1857 they came to Franklin county, and first settled in Reeve township, remaining until the spring of 1860, when they removed to Geneva township, where they still reside. They have had two children — Fannie E., (now deceased), born Nov. 28, 1842. She was finely educated, was one of the early teachers of the county, and was married Nov. 4, 1862, to Dr. S. R .Mitchell. Three children were born unto them — Clara L., Mary F. and Fannie M. William P., was born May 29, 1845. He received a good common school education. He is republican in politics, and has held the office of township clerk, and school secretary. He was married Dec. 25, 1876, to Alice E. Hedges, a native of Ohio, born July 30, 1857. They have two children — Mark L. and Glenn H. Mr. and Mrs. Stoddard, senior, are members of Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mrs. Stoddard, junior, are members of the M. E. Church. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 353)
W.J. Stonebraker merchant, has prosecuted his present business at Hampton since 1872. He was born in Lincoln Co., Mo., Oct. 10,1836. His parents settled in La Fayette Co., Wis., in 1844, where Mr. Stonebraker was reared to agricultural pursuits and attended the public schools. He was afterward a student in the schools at Platteville, Wis. Since his coming o Hampton he has taken a lively interest in local politics, and for eight years past he has held the office of councilman. In 1860 he was married to Ellen Day. Their children are — Eva, William L., David L , Arethusa and Ernest. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 397)
J.M. Stout came to the township in 1881, and purchased a farm on section 15, of Reeve township. He was born in Meigs Co., Ohio, in 1847, where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. His parents were natives of Ohio. The father died in 1874, aged fifty-seven; the mother was still living in Ohio, in 1883. They had four children, and the subject of this sketch was the third child. He enlisted in company D, 140th Ohio National Guards, and served 100 days. He was married, in Meigs county, in 1876, to Mrs. Florence A. (Nobles) Plummer, born in Meigs county, in 1847. She had one child by her first marriage — Winfield S. Mr. and Mrs. Stout are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Stout is a great reader and possessed of much intelligence. His wife is highly esteemed by all who have made her acquaintance. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 532)
I.L. Stuart, local editor and manager of the Franklin County Recorder, was born in Chester, Vt., Aug. 27, 1855. He is a son of J. Q. and Lucy J. (Burton) Stuart, natives of Vermont. His parents moved to Wisconsin in 1867, locating at Black Earth, near Madison. Here I. L. remained until 1873, then went to Boscobel, same State, where he edited and published the Boscobel Dial. At this time Mr. Stuart was but eighteen years of age, yet he succeeded well in his business and remained in the position three years. In 1876 he went to Milwaukee and worked on the Milwaukee Sentinel for two years; he then went to Charles City, Iowa, and engaged as foreman on the Floyd County Advocate, remaining until 1881. In that year Mr. Stuart came to Hampton and took his present position on the Franklin County Recorder. Mr. Stuart began his preparation for the newspaper business with Burnett & Son, proprietors of the Black Earth Advertiser. He has grown up in his profession, and thoroughly understands every department of newspaper work. (Chapter 14, The Press, pg 281)
Joseph Studer came in 1873. He is a native of Waterlooshire, Canada, where he was born July 7, 1850. His parents, Amandus and Francis (Bolinger) Studer, had a family of ten children, of whom Joseph is second in order of birth. When he was seventeen years old, he determined to exchange his home in the Dominion for one in the States, and accordingly went to Illinois, where he stayed four years, coming thence to Eldora, Iowa, and, two years later, to Franklin county, where he located in November, 1873. He was married Jan. 2, 1872, to Catharine Hoffer. They are the parents of six children: Edward, Mary, William, George, Joseph and Matilda. Mr. Studer is a democrat, and the family are communicants in the Catholic Church. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., pg 370)
George Sutton came to Franklin county in June, 1870. He was born in Derbyshire, England, Sept. 12, 1829. His father, John Sutton, was a stone cutter, and in 1842 emigrated to America. The family lived in Columbia Co., N. Y., one year, and in June, 1843, moved to Dodge Co , Wis. He remained on his father's farm until after he was twenty-one, and then learned the carpenter's trade at Chicago and Rockford, Ill., working in the latter place for eight years, after which he moved to Chicago, where he worked at his trade for three years and then returned to Dodge Co., Wis., purchased a farm, and remained there until 1869, when he came to Iowa, arriving in Franklin county in June, 1870. He married Margaret McAffee, Feb. 13, 1859. She is of Scotch and English parentage, but was born in Ireland. She came to America about 1853. They have three sons. George B. was born in Wisconsin in 1861; Franklin L. was born in Chicago in 1864, and Albert Grant, born in this county in 1872. The eldest son is married to Mary Alice Dearmoun, and lives on his father's farm. The parents are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Sutton has been township trustee, and has held the various school offices; for the past three years he has been township clerk. In politics he is a republican. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 443-444)
Oney Foster Sweet has been a resident of Hampton, since March, 1869. He was born, Dec. 13, 1841, in Susquehanna, Penn. He is a son of Almon and Caroline (Foster) Sweet. At the age of fourteen he began attending a select school at Newark, N. J. After leaving school he commenced clerking in a wholesale establishment in New York city, remaining there until 1861, when he went into the army, enlisting in the 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery, spending six months in the recruiting service at Harrisburg, Penn. In the spring of 1862, he joined his battery at Hagerstown, Md. He was in active service until the close of the war, having taken part in twenty-three engagements. He was in the battles of Winchester and Cedar Mountain and also on Pope's famous retreat at Bristow Station and Bull Run, where the rebels captured every gun of his battery, save the one one which he was cannoneer. Then, following these engagements, were Antietam and Fredericksburg, where Mr. Sweet celebrated his twenty-first birthday; next came Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, where his battery was stationed on Cemetery Hill, and where he saw twenty-three of his comrades fall around him in as many minutes. In the spring of 1864, he was detailed orderly to Gen. Hancock's headquarters, second army corps, and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, North Ann River and Cold Harbor, and also participated in the ten months' siege before Petersburg and Richmond, and was present at Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House. He received his discharge, June 11, 1865. Mr. Sweet was married, June 13, 1869, to Helen M. Coon, by whom he has five children — Marian, Edna, Robert, Willie and Oney F. He has acquired an enviable reputation and has succeeded well in business, but is never happier than when within a circle of old soldier boys, recounting the thrilling incidents of his life in the army of the Potomac. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 399)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

 

This page was created on November 27, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.