1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

N & O

~*~*~

William E. Nichols was born in Sandusky Co., Ohio, in 1854. When quite young, his parents moved to northern Indiana. Here he received a liberal academic education. At fourteen years of age he started out for himself. He posted himself in pharmacy and has followed it with success ever since. He opened his first store at Wyoming, Iowa, remained there one year, then sold out and in the fall of 1880 came to Sheffield, Iowa, and in company with Mr. Anderson, bought the drug business then owned by J. M. Potter. This partnership continued till the spring of 1882, when Mr. Nichols bought out his partner. He has built up a good business and is very popular with all classes. In the spring of 1883, he rented another store and has put in a large stock of musical instrument, and being a fine musician himself, he will hereafter give his personal attention to this branch of his large business. In September, 1881, he was married to Collin Skinner, at Manson, Iowa. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 338)
William S. Nobles was born in Meigs Co., Ohio, in 1853; was reared upon a farm, attended a common district school, and also the public school at Middleport two years. In 1875 he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and entered the employ of E. L. Clock. After remaining in his employ for two years he married Sept. 27, 1877, Ella M. Clock, born in Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., in 1856. After this he engaged in farming on shares until the fall of 1881, when he purchased the farm in Reeve township, where he now resides. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church at Maysville. They have one child — Fannie. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 523-524)
Charles Nolte settled in Franklin county in 1873. He is a German by birth, and came to America in 1861, when his father located in Dane Co., Wis. Mr. Nolte was born Oct. 20, 1851, and has resided in West Fork since coming to the county. His farm of 140 acres is situated on sections 17 and 29. He holds his real estate at $3,500 in the aggregate, and owns twenty-two head of cattle and thirty-seven hogs. He is a careful manager and is rapidly putting his place under improvements of the most valuable character. He was married in 1878 to Rosa Faerber, a native of Illinois, and then resident in Adair Co., Fowa. Their three children are Clarence, Lydia and an infant. The parents are members of the Evangelical Church. Mr. Nolte is a republican. (Chapter 35, Wisner twp., pg 584)
Henry Nolte was born in Germany, July 20, 1836. He borrowed his passage money to come to America, and used his first earnings to refund it. He labored as a farmer's assistant in Dane Co., Wis., and by practicing the closest economy succeeded in accumulating a small sum of money, which he invested in land. He transferred his interests to Franklin county, in 1870, and by the exercise of his inherited traits of thrift and industry, he has acquired a fine property. He owns 200 acres of land, stocked with forty-four head of cattle and about thirty-five hogs. His land is worth $25 per acre. Mr. Nolte was married in 1860 to Caroline Korfmaker. Mrs. Nolte's parents came from Germany and were pioneers in Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Nolte are the parents of nine children, only four of whom are living — Augusta, Henry, Rosa and George. The father and mother are members of the Evangelical Church. Mr. Nolte is a republican in politics, and has filled the positions of road supervisor and school director. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 581)
Austin North. In the fall of 1862, Judge Austin North was elected to the office, and was twice thereafter reelected, serving nearly five years. He made a good judge, and after his resignation, a few months before the expiration of his term, the members of the bar prepared and presented him with a testimonial of their esteem and regard for him as a man, and appreciation of his services as an official. This was signed by W. N. Davidson, attorney; N. B. Chapman, attorney and superintendent; George Beed, treasurer; James H. Beed, recorder; R. S. Benson, clerk; A. Pickering, sheriff. (Chapter 12, County Judge, pg 254)
E. A. Norton, carpenter and builder, came to Hampton in 1876. He was born in Crawford Co., Ill., Oct. 8, 1840. His parents went to Beloit, Rock Co., Wis., in 1846, and in 1852 moved to LaFayette county, same State. In 1863, E. A. Norton enlisted in company E, 43d Wisconsin Volunteers, and served for two years, when he was discharged, his health having been permanently injured. In 1876, as stated, he settled in Franklin county. Mr. Norton has been twice married. He had one child by his first wife — Sybil, now the wife of Walter A. Church. Aug. 15, 1865, he was married to Catherine H. Taylor, of Platteville, Wis. The second marriage has been blessed with seven children — Nellie, Jasper, George, Mary, Andrew, Clara and Guy, and one, Jasper, is dead. Mr. Norton, religiously, is what would be termed an Old School Baptist. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 408)
Dr. James A. Norton came to Hampton in 1869. He practiced here for about three years, then returned to Tiffin, Ohio, his former home. He has since served three terms in the Ohio legislature. Dr. Norton was small in stature, of quick, nervous temperment, and was as "smart as a whip." He was a graduate of the Cleveland Medical College, at Cleveland, Ohio. He was married in Franklin county to Miss Heming, a native of Ohio. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 199-200)
John Nowell has been a resident of Franklin county since 1866, when he settled on section 36 of Mott township, he is a prominent and prosperous farmer, and owns 200 acres of land all under cultivation. He was born in Yorkshire, England, April 10, 1833. His father, John Nowell, died in England, and in 1851 he came to America with his mother. They resided a short time in Oneida Co., N. Y., and afterward came west to Marquette Co., Wis., where Mr. Nowell engaged in the business of a butcher. He made an expedition to Pike's Peak in 1860, and was absent one year. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in Company K, 19th Wisconsin Volunteers, and was in the United States service until the spring of 1864, when he was honorably discharged at Newbern, N. O, He was married in 1862 to Elizabeth Whitmore, a native of England. They have four children — Mary, Sarah, John and Ella. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 482)


~*~*~

Edward O'Brien came in 1868 to Franklin Co., Iowa, bought land and located in Marion township where he farmed until 1872, at which time he settled in Osceola township. He was born in New York city, in 1842, and was the son of Edward and Margaret (Kelly) O'Brien. When he was one year of age, he came with his parents to Wisconsin, and settled in Ozaukee county. Here he spent his childhood and youth until he was twenty years of age, when he went to Hartford, Conn., and soon after to Meriden, same State, where he remained six years, then returned to Wisconsin, and, in 1868, came to Iowa. In 1870, he was married to Rose Halpin. By this union there are four children — Julia A. M., Rose Ann, Mary E. and Edmond W. They have lost two children by death. The parents are members of the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. O'Brien is a democrat, and has held several local offices. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 507)
James Ormrod came to Franklin Co., in March, 1876, and leased 480 acres of land in Clinton township, where he engaged in stock and grain raising until April, 1881, when he opened a meat market in Sheffield, which business he still continues. He is extensively engaged in shipping stock to the Chicago market, having shipped last year about $50,000 worth. He is a native of England, born in November, 1850, and when two years old came with his parents to America, living for seven years in Newport, R. I. He then went to Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill. He was brought up on a farm and received a common school education. Mr. Ormrod is a republican in politics, and is an active member of the M. E. Church. He was married in December, 1874, to Miss E. L. Farnham,a native of Wisconsin. They have two children living — Jimmie and Leone. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 336-337)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

 

This page was created on February 26, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.