1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

Mi - My

~*~*~

Gifford Mickel came to his present home in Ingham township, Franklin county, in the fall of 1869. He was born in Schoharie Co., N. Y., Jan. 21, 1823. His parents were Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Wiley) Mickel, who were natives of the Mohawk valley. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812. At the age of seventeen Gifford learned the blacksmith trade at Florida, Montgomery Co., N. Y. He followed his trade in that place for three years, then went to Ogle Co., Ill., and located near Dixon, where he followed farming in summer and his trade in the winter, until 1862, when he removed to Clarksville, Iowa. He purchased land east of that place and carried on farming and blacksmithing until 1869 when he came to his present home He built his shop on his own place, which was the first blacksmith shop in Ingham township. He built his shop on Union Ridge in 1875 and in 1878 moved it to its present location on section 1. Mr. Mickel is an industrious, enterprising man and has all the work he can do, as a blacksmith. In September, 1842, he married Lavinia Sperry, of Ogle Co., Ill. Her parents were from Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Mickel have had twelve children, eight of whom are living — Annie, Elizabeth, Henrietta, Gifford, Lavinia, Henry, Emma and Owen. The parents are members of the M. E. Church at Union Ridge, and Mr. Mickel has been an officer in the Church ever since he became a member. He commenced the first Sunday school at Allen's grove and has lived to see a large class grow up there. In politics, Mr. Mickel is a democrat. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 440-441)
Henry J. Millard has been in Reeve township since 1873. He was born in Madison Co., N.Y., in 1833. His parents emigrated to Jefferson Co., Wis., when he was ten years of age. He remained there until manhood, and had good educational advantages. In 1858 he went to Winnebago Co., Ill., and remained until he came to Franklin county in 1870. He first settled in Osceola, remaining there three years. He was married in Richland Co., Wis., in 1855, to Martha J. Beemer, a native of New Jersey, born in 1837. They are the parents of six children — William H., Mary E., Alice J., Frank E., James Y. and Clarence E. They are members of the M. E. Church at Maysville. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 531)
H.J. Miller is a native of Pensylvania. He was born in Philadelphia in 1840 and received his education in the public schools of that city. When eighteen years of age, he started out to "see the world," as he puts it, traveling in Ohio and Kentucky. In 1870 he went to Colorado, where he engaged in plumbing and gas fitting for a business. Soon after, he received an appointment as mail agent, and subsequently was transferred to Iowa, to the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, & Northern railway line, where he remained until 1881, and then engaged in the hardware business at Dows, under the firm name of Fisher & Co. He was married in 1870, to Anna M. Ray, who was born in Wisconsin in 1848. They have two children — Howard R. and Wal- ter. H J. Mr Miller is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Dows, of which he is worthy master. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 476)
Isaac Miller came here from Howard Co., Ind., in 1855, and settled in Reeve township with his family, consisting of wife and a number of children. He was a pleasant, affable man, of but little education, though with a good deal of natural tact, and succeeded very well in the office, as there was but little to do. He was re-elected in 1857. In some respects he was rather rough. He remained here until about 1864 when he removed to Nebraska. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 255)
Jacob Miller has been a resident of Franklin county since 1879. He lives on section 11, Mott township, where he owns 160 acres of land. He was born in Germany and came with his parents to America in 1852. His parents settled in Dane Co., Wis., where Jacob went into the army, enlisting Aug. 13, 1862, in company A, 23d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Vilas, afterwards colonel, was captain of the company. Mr. Miller was with his regiment in many important engagements, and was honorably discharged in June, 1865. He then returned to Dane Co., Wis., and engaged in farming until he came to Iowa Since coming to Franklin county, he has held several important school offices. He was married, in 1866, to Elizabeth Wolf. They have seven children — Theodore, Adelia, William, George, Walter, Alvin and Edna. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 490)
George R. Miner came to Sheffield, Iowa, 1879, having come to Franklin county in 1869. He was born in Windsor Co., Vt., in 1845. Here he grew up on a farm, working part of the time in a saw-mill, received an academic education at Barre, Vt., and in 1856, entered the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor. On leaving that institution he came to Iowa and taught school two terms at Earlville, Iowa. He then went to Iowa Falls and studied law in the office of N. W. Anderson for about a year and a half. In 1869, he came to Franklin county to teach in what was then Clinton township. In 1873, he moved to what is now Marion township and was largely instrumental in its organization. Mr. Miner taught the first school in the township, was the first township clerk, holding the office for three years and has also held the offices of treasurer and secretary of the school board, each two years. In all he has taught school about fifteen terms in this county. In 1879, he was admitted to the bar at Hampton and at once removed to Sheffield, where he has practiced his profession ever since, doing at the same time a very extensive insurance business. He was one of the charter members of the Masonic lodge. He served one year in the army, enlisting in the 16th Vermont Volunteer Infantry in 1862. He is also a member and is adjutant of the G.A.R. He was married, in 1872, to Mary J. Miner, born in Ohio. They have five children — May, Ora, Zoa, Rio and Ina. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 187-188)
G. H. Minert came to Hampton, Iowa, in the fall of 1870, where he lived two years. He then rented his present farm and three years later purchased it. The farm contains 160 acres, all under cultivation, being well supplied with water, one spring especially having a great flow and is never failing. He devotes his time to farming. He is the son of Henry and Nancy (Kiley) Minert, natives of Ohio, and early settlers of Vermilion Co., Ind., where G. H. was born Feb. 20, 1833. In 1844, they emigrated to Green Co., Wis., where the parents still live and are engaged in farming. G. H. remained with his parents until removing to Iowa. In 1868, he went to Montana by way of the Missouri river, to Fort Benton, and from thence to Helena by stage, proceeding to Salt Lake City on horseback, where with two companions he crossed the range, bringing up at Cheyenne, where was the Union Pacific railway. In September, 1857, he married Frances Gasper, of Green Co., Wis., a native of Virginia. They have a family of seven children, six of whom are living — Oscar, Frank, Edith, Martha, Arthur and Guy. Mrs. Minert died July 10, 1877, and is buried at Hampton. Mr. Minert has been assessor, road supervisor and school director. He is a republican in politics, and has been a member of the Masonic fraternity twenty years. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 443)
Abel N. Minor succeeded Capt. Hudson as sheriff. He was elected in 1873 and re-elected in 1875. Minor had settled on Mayne's creek in Reeve township some years previous to his election and was engaged in farming. In 1873 he removed to Hampton and purchased the hardware business of Stearns & North, and for several years was in trade there in partnership with his father-in-law, Mr. Norton. He now lives in Clarion, Wright Co., Iowa. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 259-260)
Herman Missman. One of the settlers of 1876, was Herman Missman, who was born in Oldeburg, Germany, in 1837. He came to America with his parents when eight years of age, and settled in Somerset Co., Penn., where the family remained but a short time, removing to Illinois, where they lived about ten years. Here the subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm, received a common school education, and in 1865, came to Iowa, locating in Osceola township, Franklin county, where he lived until 1876, when he settled in Marion township, where he has 160 acres of good land on section 22. He has now about twenty-eight head of stock. He was assessor for years and was elected at the last election, township trustee. He was married to Minnie Spechlt, a native of Germany. They have had ten children, eight now living : Charles A., Clarence H., Ferdinand, Norman, Frank W., Elvira H., Clara Bell and Carrie. Mr. Missman's father died when he was a child. His mother died in Illinois, in 1871. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., pg 463)
H.J. Mitchell was born in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., in 1833. When fourteen years of age he left home and went to Sheboygan Co., Wis., and traveled over different parts of the State until the fall of 1854, when he came to Franklin county and settled in Reeve township, where he was married to Octavia Smith. She was born in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., Nov. 26, 1838, and has the honor of teaching the first school in Franklin county. Here Mr. Mitchell engaged in farming, but, in 1860, he went to Colorado and engaged in mining, but in a few months returned to his home, since which time he has been engaged in tilling the soil. His father was a native of Vermont. He died in this county, in 1869. The mother was a native of Ireland. She died here in 1866. They were the parents of five children, H. J. being the fourth. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church, at Maysville. He is a republican in politics, and has held several local offices. He is a good citizen, held in high esteem by all bis neighbors. By his marriage there have been born to him four children — Charles R., (deceased), Clara J., (deceased), Clarence L. and H. Jay. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 511-512)
Isaac J. Mitchell is a native of Ohio, and was born in Cincinnati on the 31st of May, 1827. While an infant his father moved to a farm in Clermont Co., Ohio, and there the son worked until he was nineteen, when he went to a high school in Laurel, Ohio, a few months, to prepare himself for a teacher. He taught in Brazil, Ind., and adjoining districts, for three years. While preparing to teach, he worked on a farm for two dollars a week, devoting the money thus earned to the purchase of textbooks. He read law while teaching in Indiana, and completed his school education by attending Asbury College, Green castle, Ind., one term, when, his health giving way, he had to leave the institution. He removed to Boonesborough, Iowa, in June, 1855, and there resumed his study of law while engaged in the drug business. He finished reading law early in 1858; was admitted to the bar in Boonesborough in April, and opened an office there in that year. He has since been in constant practice, except when in office, building up a large business and an enviable reputation. He served as justice of the peace in 1857, while reading law in Boonesborough, and the next year was elected a member of the State board of education, serving two years. In 1868 he was elected State Senator for the term of four years. He was chairman of the committee on enrolling and agriculture, and acted on three or four other committees. He was a very useful and influential member of the Assembly. In 1874 he was elected judge of the eleventh judicial district. He was recognized as a man of great purity of character, well read in the law, with good judgment, dignity, decision of character, and other qualities that tend to make an excellent judge. He had a hard struggle in securing an education, but success crowned his efforts. (Chapter 6, The Courts, pg 169-170)
Dr. S. R. Mitchell came in 1855, and commenced the practice of medicine at Maysville, remaining at that place until 1862, when he removed to Ottumwa, this State. The doctor was very popular as a physician, and was held in high esteem. He had a large practice, and made many long rides to reach his patients. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 199)
J.N. Montgomery was born in Pennsylvania in 1827, and was there married to Luceva Ward. In 1849 they removed to Illinois, where his wife died. He subsequently married Mrs. Amanda Strider. He is member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a greenbacker and has held local offices. (Chapter 24, Lee twp., pg 458-459)
Elmer E. Morehouse opened a grocery store, in 1881, carrying boots and shoes also. The first year his sales amounted to $15,000. Elmer E. Morehouse, dealer in groceries and boots and shoes, was born in West Fork township, Franklin Co., Iowa, in August, 1861, being the first white child born in that township. In childhood he was made a cripple for life by an attack of spinal meningitis. This necessitated his fitting himself for a position in life that could be filled by the unfortunate, he therefore sought and obtained a good educaition. After completing it, he taught school for some years. He then clerked in a store at Hampton for about two years, and then in 1881, he came to Sheffield and engaged in his present business. He is a rising man, of fine culture, good business qualifications, and is highly respected by all who know him. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 333)
H. Morehouse, farmer and partner of E.E. Morehouse, is one of the settlers of 1860 and was born in the district of London, Canada, in 1832. He is a son ol John and Clarissa Morehouse, and came to the United States with them in 1838, first settling in Oakland Co., Mich., where he spent his boyhood on a farm, receiving but a common school education. In 1856 he went to Illinois, where he followed farming until 1860, when he came to Iowa, purchasing a farm on section 3, West Fork township, Franklin county, where he continued to live until 1881, when he came to the village of Sheffield and opened a store connected with his son Elmer, but has led a quiet retired life since his settling here. He was among the first settlers in West Fork township, and took quite an active interest in the matters of the township, having filled many of the offices from time to time. For two years, 1863 and 1864, he was mail carrier from Hampton to Cedar Falls, Iowa. At the present time he is a member of the Sheffield city council. He was married in 1855, to Harriet M. Davis, and they have four children — Frank, Lorenzo, George and Elmer. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 333)
Frank P. Morgan, editor and proprietor of the Press, was born in Whitewater, Wis., May 27, 1853. He is a son of E. F. and Mary (Benjamin) Morgan. They moved to Richland Co., Wis., when he was two years old, where he received his education. At the age of eighteen, he commenced to learn the printer's trade, working on both the Richland County Observer and Sentinel, and founded the Sheffield Press. In 1879, he came to Hampton and worked on the Recorder a few months, and then went to Butler county and started the Bristow Dial, which he ran for three months, when he sold, came to Sheffield and founded the Sheffield Press. Mr. Morgan was married to Nettie Jones, daughter of S.M. Jones, of Hampton, in 1880. He is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Sheffield, and a staunch republican in politics. (Chapter 14, The Press, pg 285-286)
John Morgan came to Franklin county in July, 1877, and opened a wagon shop in Otisville, remaining until 1881, when he went to Dows. He was born in Pittsburg, Penn., in 1836. In 1848 he went to Grant Co., Wis., where he learned and fallowed his trade until 1861, when he enlisted in a company of the 10th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving until June, 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability. He re-enlisted in 1863, in company K, 47th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, when he engaged in the C, M. & St. P. railroad shops at Prairie du Chien, remaining five years, going thence to Woodman, Wis., where he worked two years, then to Dubuque, where he worked three years at his trade, then removing to Franklin county. He was married in 1857 to Jane Shipley, by whom he had three children — Annie M., Thomas J. and Mary J. His wife dying, he was again married to Bertha Johnson, a native of Norway, and has one child — Maynard. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 477)
Lewis H. Morgan, from whom the township took it's name, was born near Lexington Ky., about 1809. He was educated in the common schools and being a great reader he became an intelligent man. He is a staunch republican in politics. He attended school with Abraham Lincoln in Illinois, and heard him make his first plea at the bar. He was married in Bloomington, Ill., to Miss Mason of that State. In 1883, he was living in Oregon. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 466)
E.F. Moris is a native of Austria. His father being a blacksmith, he learned the same trade and has worked at it since boyhood. In the spring of 1869 he came to America to seek a home under freedom's sun. He followed his trade in St. Louis and other places on the Mississippi until 1879, when he came to Chapin, Iowa, and after working for E. M Knight for a time, opened a shop of his own, which he has conducted successfully ever since. Mr. Moris is an excellent workman, and blacksmithing with him is a success. He is the owner of a good house which he built, and also has three town lots. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 555)
Albert Monroe Mott, fourth son of Jonathan Mott, was born Sept. 3, 1843. When four years and a half of age his mother died. He attended school at West Edmeston, Fort Plain, and at Hudson River Institute, Claverack, N.Y., a military school on the Hudson.


A.M. Mott

In 1863, he came to Iowa and engaged in business with his brother, D. W. Until 1876, his business was identical with that of D. W. Mott, as has been stated. A.M. Mott was married, in Chicago, in June, 1873, to Ella C. Wood, a daughter of Dr. George B. Wood, of that city. They then returned to the farm, which Mr. Mott is still engaged in managing. The farm consists of over 2,100 acres, all of which is well improved. It is well stocked, containing over 700 head of cattle, several hundred hogs and nearly 100 head of horses and colts. Mr. Mott also owns land adjoining, in the town of Hampton, and has laid out Mott's addition to Hampton. Mr. and Mrs. Mott have two children — the oldest, Grace Edna; the youngest, George A. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 457; portrait pg 487)

Cromwell J. Mott the oldest son of Jonathan and Charlotte (Crumb) Mott, was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., March 8, 1830. During early life his educational advantages were such as the public schools of that place and period afforded. In 1859, he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and, together with a brother-in-law, bought 780 acres of land near Hampton. He soon after purchased his partner's interest, and has since added to his estate until it aggregates 825 acres, all in good condition and under good improvement. Mr. Mott has of late years given his attention chiefly to stock-raising, and is now one of the most successful stock men in Franklin county.


C.J. Mott

Since his arrival he has actively interested himself in the progress of public affairs. He was the first to bring a herd of Shorthorn cattle to this county, and, in company with Captain R. S. Benson, brought the first imported Norman horses to the county. He is still engaged in breeding from thoroughbred and imported stock. Mr. Mott was one of the organizers of the Citizens' Bank, of Hampton, was the first vice-president of that institution, and is at present one of the directors. He has been a member of the board of supervisors for several years, and has held most of the local township offices. He is a republican in politics. In 1856, Mr. Mott was married to Catherine Clark, of Otsego Co., N. Y. Their children are — Flora C., Linnie and Bertie. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 455; portrait pg 561)

Damon Mott, third son of Jonathan and Charlotte (Crumb) Mott, was born Feb. 17, 1887. His educational advantages were the district schools, finished by terms at the Cooperstown Seminary and the institute at Fort Plain. In January, 1862, he was married to Lucy, daughter of Palmer Dye, of Leonardsville, N. Y., and the same spring moved on a farm of 660 acres, in the southeastern part of Black Hawk Co., Iowa, where he still lives. He is a good farmer, well read upon all topics and a deep thinker. His favorite place is his home, with his wife and only remaining daughter, Addie E. Mott, now seventeen years of age. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 457)
Delos W. Mott second son of Jonathan and Charlotte (Crumb) Mott, was born Nov. 11, 1832, in Otsego Co., N. Y. He had the advantages of a fair common school education until 1852, when he was sent to Mayville Academy one term, and in the winter of 1852-3, he taught school in Ellery, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., after which he attended high school at South New Berlin until the fall of 1853. The following winter he taught school at Columbus, Chenango county, and, in the fall of 1854, went to Indiana, where he remained one year, and then went back to New York on a visit. Returning to Indiana a few weeks later, he started for Iowa, crossing the Mississippi river on the last day of January 1856. In February he went to Jasper and Marshall counties, and then started on foot for Fort Dodge, where he hired a horse and came to Franklin county. Returning to Fort Dodge, he entered several tracts of land in Franklin and Wright counties. He then returned to Marshall county with frozen feet, and in May started north, walking from Eldora to Wright county, thence to Hampton and the farms now owned by himself and brothers, then to Fort Dodge and back to Iowa Falls, having on this trip walked over 210 miles. He concluded to "pitch his grip" and make this his home.


D.W. Mott

In July, while living at Iowa Falls, Gilbert R. Felton came out from New York, being the first person D. W. had seen in Iowa whom he had ever met before. On the 12th of June, 1859, Mr. Mott was married to Mary P. Jones, daughter of H. P. Jones, of New Haven, Conn. In the fall of 1862, he removed to Cedar Falls and became principal of the schools of that city the following winter. In the spring of 1863, Albert M. Mott came from New York and the two joined interests, and bought grain in Cedar Falls. They then went into the cattle business, and, in 1865, closed out, and loading a steamboat, went down the Mississippi and up the Red, Black and Onatchita rivers. In 1866, they bought the Tom Swan, a small steamer, at Memphis, and ran that until July, when it sank, while they were in New York. Upon their return they started a store at Carolina Ledge, Miss., also the first store and postoffice at Leota Ledge, A. M. becoming postmaster, and the third store at Lake Washington. They were also engaged in planting cotton, employing ninety-six hands in 1868. During the summer, while on a visit to Iowa, they made a purchase of some land east of Hampton, and returned to their business in the South. Mrs. D. W. Mott remained at Cedar Falls, and on the 17th of October, Delos Wells Mott, Jr., was born, and was five months old when his father first saw him. In the spring of 1870, D. W. Mott removed from Mississippi to Franklin county and improved the land previously bought, calling it Spring Valley Farm. A. M. Mott attended to the business in Mississippi until 1873, when he sold out and removed to the farm in Iowa. The Spring Valley farm was owned and man aged by the two until 1876, when it was divided, D. W. taking 1,440 acres and A. M. 2,060, each running his farm separately; but cattle are usually bought and sold together. D.W. Mott has an interest in the Citizens' Bank, of Hampton, Brule County Bank, Dakota, and in four other companies in Dakota and Colorado. Mr. Mott it will suffice to say that his word is everywhere considered as good as his bond. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 456; portrait pg 451)

Jonathan Mott. In 1790, Jonathan Mott and wife moved from Connecticut to the State of New York and purchased a tract of land at fifty cents per acre, on the west side of the Unadilla river, in Madison county, and cut and cleared timber to make a farm. The old and original place is still owned by their grandson, Henry Mott. The family consisted of seven children — three sons and four daughters. The oldest son, Jonathan Mott, who was born Aug. 8, 1799, married Charlotte, daughter of John W. Crumb, July 5, 1829, and moved to a new farm on the east side of the river, in Otsego county. While there they had four sons — Cromwell J., born March 8, 1830; Delos W., born Nov. 11, 1832; Damon, born Feb. 17, 1837; and Albert M., born Sept. 3, 1843. Charlotte, the mother of these four sons, died April 15, 1848. Jonathan Mott was again married, July 13, 1848, to Celinda Colburn, who died in June, 1882. Being the second time a widower, the father concluded to leave the place which had so long been his home, and spend the remainder of his days with his sons in Iowa. He came to Hampton in June, 1882, and died on the 22d of the same month, at the home of his son, Cromwell J. Mott. He was buried in the cemetery at Hampton, Franklin Co., Iowa. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 455)
William Moyle came to his present home in Richland township, in 1868, where he possesses a fine farm of 180 acres, under excellent cultivation and well stocked. He had formerly been a miner. He was born in Cornwall, England, in 1834, emigrating with his parents in 1845, and locating in Grant Co., Wis., where he remained until 1858. He then removed to California, where he followed mining. Returning to Wisconsin, he remained a short time and then went to Colorado, where he spent one year, and again returned to Wisconsin, but decided to locate in Franklin county and moved there in 1868. He was married in 1864, to Elizabeth Rapson, and has two children — Willie T. and Maggie J. He is republican in politics and has held offices of trust. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity at Hampton. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 559)
Henri Muhlenbruch the second of four children, and son of Wilhelm and Dorathea Muhlenbruch, was born April 1836, at Hanover, Germany, and in 1863, married Wilhelmine Meyer. They lived in their native land until 1873, when they came to America, settling first in Waterloo, Iowa, but in the fall of 1882, they settled in Franklin county, Marion township, on section 35, They have eight children: Henry, Carl, Wilhelm, Fred, Lena, Anna, Deitrich and Wilhelmine. They belong to the Lutheran Church, and in politics, Mr. Muhlenbruch is a democrat. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., pg 465)
Lydia A. (Crofts) Mulford. Mrs. Lydie A. Mulford is the widow of Thomas Mulford, who was born in Coshocton Co., Ohio, in 1829, where he grew to manhood and was married in 1845 to Lydia Crofts, the subject of this sketch, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1829. When nine years of age her parents moved to Ohio, where she was married. In 1848 they removed to Dubuque county, where her husband worked at his trade of cooper. He enlisted in 1861 in the 1st Iowa Cavalry, serving until October, 1863, when he died at Little Rock, Ark. In the fall of 1863, Mrs. Mulford came with her family to Franklin county, where she still lives. She has six children — Washington W., C. Elmira, George S, Marcus M., Nathan and William T. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 520-521)
Isaac C. Mulkins, one of the old settlers of Reeve township, came to Buchanan Co., Iowa, in the spring of 1855, remaining one year, when he came to Franklin county and located on the farm now owned by Thomas Fox. He erected a log house in which he spent the first winter without any chinking between the logs. He had the ground for a floor on which the fire was built, having neither stove nor fireplace, and over which they cooked and kept warm. At this time deer were so plentiful that droves of them were often seen, some numbering as high as twenty-five. Mr. Mulkins was born in Henry Co., Ohio, in 1817. When a boy he went to Indiana, where he was reared, and was married to Lucinda Thornberg, who died Dec. 25, 1852. By this marriage there were seven children. He was again married in 1853. By this marriage there were eight children. He was a member of the M. E. Church. He enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Volunteers, in December, 1863, and died in Red River, Ark., April 9, 1864. His widow married Mr. H. Perry, of Butler county, who died in the township, April, 1883. Mrs. Perry is still a resident of the township, and lives with her father, Levi Jones, an old resident of the county. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 513-514)
J.S. Mulkins, a twin son of Isaac C. Mulkins, one of the old pioneers of Reeve township, was born in Delaware Co., Ind., June 28, 1849, and came to Franklin county with his parents when a mere lad, and where he has since lived, with the exception of five years spent in Missouri. He was married in Franklin county March 31, 1870, to Maggie Creighton, born in Ohio, in August, 1847. They have had five children — Irvin A., Esta J. (deceased), Charles S., Marvin C. (deceased), and David G. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 514)
Samuel P. Mulkins was born in Delaware Co., Ind., June 28, 1849. He is a son of one of the old settlers of this township. He remained in Reeve township until the spring of 1864, when he left home and worked for John I. Popejoy for two years, after which time he went to the southern part of the State, where he was married to Matilda Chestnut, who was born in Clay Co., Ky.. in March 1851. They went from there to Missouri, where he engaged in farming, remaining until the fall of 1878, when he returned to Reeve township, Franklin county. Mr. and Mrs. Mulkins have five children — Jacob F., Samuel E., Mary C, John H. and Maggie E. A. Mr. Mulkins and his wife are members of the Methodist Church. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 512)
James A. Mulnix, M. D., a native of New York, came to Dows on the 1st of September, 1881, and commenced the practice of medicine. He has been very successful as a physician and has a large and increasing business. He was born Nov. 8, 1852, in Ulster Co., N. Y., and was the second child of J. L. and Margaret (Johnson) Mulnix, both natives of New York. The father was born Dec. 18, 1819, the mother Sept. 14, of the same year. In 1859, the family removed to Ogle Co., Ill., where the parents remained until March, 1880, when they settled in Franklin Co., Iowa, where they still live. James A. Mulnix attended Carthage College, at Carthage, Ill., in the winter of 1876-7, then entered Keokuk Medical College and graduated in 1878, after which he practiced medicine for two years in Alden, Hardin Co., Iowa, and then came to Dows. He was married at Adrian, Ill., Jan. 26, 1882, to Sallie L. Rice, of Cincinnati. Dr. Mulnix is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 208)
John W. Myer located on section 6 in 1878. He was born in Waukesha Co., Wis., May 12, 1855. He is a son of John and Catharine (O'Whiler) Myer. His parents, with their family, came to Franklin county in 1858. Mr. Myer was married Jan. 8, 1878, to Matilda Pickins, and on the 15th day of the same month they fixed their residence in Grant township. Their family includes two children — Orville T. and Verdon N. Mr. Myer is a republican of the most decided type. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., pg 372)
Isaac W. Myers settled on the east half of section 24, in Hamilton township, in 1868, where he engaged in farming, cultivating timber and teaching. His work in the Sabbath school was highly appreciated; especially is this true of his leadership in vocal music throughout the neighborhood. In 1872 he was elected county superintendent of schools, and was re-elected in 1870. On the expiration of his term he spent a short time in selling school supplies and Ridpath's History of the United States. While engaged in this business he had an opportunity to get acquainted with men who were building up a new enterprise in various portions of the State. He at once determined that Franklin county should take a leading part in the new enterprise, the creamery. Realizing the dangers that might beset such an undertaking, and knowing the value of personal experience, he resolved to leave nothing undone that would supply the requisite experience. He accordingly went to work in a creamery as a practical butter-maker until he was acquainted with all the particulars of the business. He then built the Hampton creamery, at Hampton, the first in the county. In operating the new business he had many obstacles to overcome, as such an institution was but little known generally; but energetic perseverance was at last rewarded with success, and his business is moving along on a substantial basis. The Hampton creamery has many friends and no enemies.

Mr. Myers was born in Waterloo Co., province of Ontario, Canada, Nov. 20, 1839. His parens were natives of Pennsylvania. He remained at home until seventeen years old, where he incidentally became a teacher, and afterwards became a student at the Gait Grammar School, which he left in 1861. Repassed the next three years in teaching in Canada. In 1864 he went to Lena, Ill. During the winter of that year he enlisted in company G, 147th Illinois Volunteer's, and served until the close of the war, receiving an honorable discharge. He returned to Lena and in 1866 became principal of the public schools. His experience as a teacher has been extensive and successful, having spent over forty terms in the school room. He possesses well developed illustrating powers.


I.W. Myers & Alice (Francisco) Myers

Mr. Myers was married in 1866 to Alice Francisco, daughter of the late Charles Francisco, of McHenry Co., Ill. She was a teacher of rare abilities, and a lady of high moral culture and refinement; one who is now indefatigable in her efforts to put her children in possession of the same qualities. Her amiability is constant and enduring. Her faith in the Christian religion is unshaken. She has ever been a willing worker in the Sabbath school. The names of their six children are — Alice Inez, Orson Francisco, John Percival, Aaron Irving, Helen Maria and Garfield. The youngest, Garfield, died when he was one year old.

The following letter from Rev. George Cuthbertson may be of interest to the friends of Mr. Myers: "Wyoming Ont., May 22, 1883. To the Union Publishing Company: Gentlemen: Twenty years ago in my capacity of superintendent of schools in the county of Waterloo, Canada, I met with men of many shades of character. Trustees, teachers and parents were almost all known to me. There was one family that made a deep impression on my memory. The father, John Myers, was an industrious, sober, intelligent and upright man. He possessed by his force of character, the confidence of the surrounding country. In politics, in municipal and agricultural gatherings, his counsels were always listened to with respect; and he was in all these gatherings assigned a position of honor. For years he, was reeve of the township, and thus had a seat in the county council. But in education he seemed to manifest a deeper interest than in any other public question. He trained up his children to be sober, industrious, intelligent members of society. In one of these I took a deep interest I came into contact with him both officially and privately. He had good natural talents, and took every opportunity of adding acquired knowledge and information. He was one of the most successful teachers under my charge, because he took a deep interest in his work, and faithfully discharged his duty, not as a man-pleaser, but as a conscientious man. He thus endeared himself to the scholars, and was a favorite throughout the school sections. Naturally amiable and with such parental example and home surroundings, Isaac could not help making his mark in whatever locality his lot might be cast. Called away from labor in a distant part of Ontario, I lost sight of Mr. Myers, and only lately I hear of his being the proprietor of the Hampton Creamery, in the State of Iowa. It matters not what Isaac Myers puts his hand to, he will, by honesty, diligence and courtesy, succeed; and I am sure that the more a community knows him, the more will it be convinced that he is worthy to be entrusted with office or positions of confidence. My memories of Isaac Myers are of the most pleasant kind. Yours truly, Geo. Cuthbertson, Pres. Minister, late Inspector of Schools." (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 417-419; portraits pgs 414 & 415)

Moses Myers located on section 16, in 1869. He was the son of John and Barbara (Negley) Myers, and was born Jan. 31, 1814, in York Co., Penn., where he spent his boyhood. At the age of twenty-one he went to Canada, where he remained about four years, then went to Ohio in 1838 and remained fifteen years in Clarke, Montgomery and Darke counties. He then removed to Ogle Co., Ill., in 1853, finally coming to Iowa in 1869, where he has since made his home. He was married in Canada, in 1837, to Mary Martin, who was born and reared in Lancaster Co., Penn. His wife died in Osceola, July 18, 1869. They had nine children, seven of whom are living — John, Amos, Sarah, Mary, Moses, Samuel and Joseph. Henry and Abraham are dead. He has held the office of road supervisor for several terms. He was again married Sept. 11, 1870, to Mrs. Isabelle Diamond, who was born in Ireland and is about fifty years of age. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 507)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

 

This page was created on October 20, 2014 and updated November 27, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.