From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883
Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall
Ma - Me
|D.C. Mallory came to Franklin county in 1876, and located in Reeve township. Five years later he purchased a farm in Washington township and has since devoted his means and energies to stock raising, in which enterprise he is among the leading men in the county. He was born in Vermilion Co., Ill., March 14, 1837. His parents located soon after in Stephenson county, and there Mr. Mallory reached man's estate. He attended the public schools and completed his education at Rock River Seminary, at Mount Morris, Ill. After leaving school, he engaged in teaching until 1864, when he enlisted in company K, 46th Illinois Infantry. He served until August, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He then engaged in farming in LaFayette Co., Wis., until he settled in Franklin county, as stated. Mr. Mallory is a member of the M E. Church at Hampton. He was married in 1860 to Miss E. A. Hutchinson. Three children are living Edgar A., Eugene H. and Benjamin H. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 431)|
|Thomas Malone located in Hamilton township in 1878. He was a son of Thomas and Mary (Flannigan) Malone, was born in Worcester, Mass., April, 1852. When he was about four years of age, he removed with his parents to Wisconsin, and settled near Milwaukee. Here he was brought up on a farm, receiving a common school education. He spent nine years in northern Wisconsin in the lumber and agricultural business for himself, but in 1878 came to this county and settled on a farm of 160 acres on section 13, Hamilton township, that he had bought some ten years before. Here he built a fine brick house, (it being the only brick house in this township) at a cost of about $700, aside from his own work; he paid five dollars per acre for his land, and it is now worth twenty-five dollars per acre. He has seven fine horses; the value of his stock may be estimated at not far from $2,000. The greater part of this wealth he has accumulated since he became of age, having but $900 to start with. He has taken an active part in the politics of the township, is, and always has been, an indepenpent, voting for the best man. He was married in 1877 to Hattie E. Clark. Three children have blessed this union Thomas E., John C. and Eleanor A. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 378)|
|Eleazer Manifold. In 1858, Eleazer Manifold settled in Geneva township. He was the seventh son of a family of eleven children. Mr. Manifold, Sr., was born in Tennessee, in 1812. When a boy he went to Indiana where he was married to Hannah Sedanbaugh, born in Pennsylvania. She died in 1874. Eleazer was born in Randolph Co., Ind. When eight years of age, his parents removed to Iowa and wintered in Black Hawk county, and in the spring of 1858, came to Franklin county, settling at Four Mile Grove, in Geneva township, where the father died in 1875. The mother is still living near where they first settled in the township. Eleazer was married June 15, 1874, to Elma C. Pound, born in Wisconsin, in 1855. They have three children Alva C., Edna A. and Jesse B. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 348)|
|Warner Marble settled on section 15, of Mott township, Franklin county, in 1867. He was born in Saratoga Co. N. Y., Oct. 11,1818. He spent thirty-six years of his life in his native county, devoting his energies to agriculture. He was married in 1844 to Betsy Jane Ackley, also a native of Saratoga county, where she was born Dec. 6, 1818. In 1854 Mr. Marble removed with his family to Dane Co., Wis., where he was engaged as an agriculturalist until 1867, when he removed to Iowa. Three children Frank, George and Mary, were born in the State of New York; one, Amanda, was born while they were residents of Wisconsin. Mr. Marble died Oct. 9, 1880, in the township of Mott. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 482)|
|Ernst Marks was born in Prussia in December, 1828. His father died and left a family of six children. In 1854 he emigrated to America and settled in Dane Co., Wis. He enlisted, in 1862, in company B, 17th Wisconsin Infantry. At the siege of Vicksburg he was wounded by a shell, in his left arm, and lying on the battle field all night without receiving attention caused the loss of his arm. He was four months in the hospital and now draws a pension. He came to Franklin county in 1873 and now owns a fine tract of land in West Fork township. It includes 142 acres and is valued at $20 per acre. He was married in 1869 to Mrs. Elizabeth Hoops, a widow with two sons Henry and Herman. Mr. and Mrs. Marks are members of the German Methodist Church. Mr. Marks has always been a republican, and is now road supervisor. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 584)|
|W.F. Marks, of the firm of Marks & Procter, was born in LaFayette Co., Wis., in 1854. He was brought up in town, receiving a good, liberal education, graduating at Eastman's Commercial College, in 1875. After graduating, he returned to Wisconsin as clerk in a store, remaining there till the fall of 1879, when he came to Hampton, Iowa, and went into a store as clerk, where he remained until 1882, at which time he formed a partnership with Mr. Procter, and came to Chapin and engaged in the general merchandise business, which is proving a successful enterprise. He was married in 1882 to Eva Stonebraker, of Hampton, Iowa. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 555)|
|James M. Marsh, a surveyor, must go into history as the first white man who ever set foot on Franklin county soil. The records state that he had a surveying contract, in pursuance of which about the 20th of August, 1849, he began running the township, lines of this county finishing in the latter part of September, 1849. (Chapter 4, The Beginning, pg 147)|
|Patrick McCann, one of the settlers of 1854, entered the land upon which he now lives. He was the son of Thomas and Catherine (Lynch) McCann, of Ireland, where he was born in the county of Meids, March 17, 1825. Emigrating to America at the age of fifteen, he first settled in New York, then went south, thence to Illinois, remaining six years, and finally to Iowa. He was married in 1856 to Margaret McCarle, at Cedar Falls, Iowa, who is also a native of Ireland. They have seven children living Mary Ann, aged twenty-three; Margaret, aged nineteen; James, aged seventeen; Catherine, aged fifteen; Henry, aged thirteen; Florence, aged ten; Elizabeth, aged eight. They were all born in the township. Mary Ann was married to William McPherson, at Ackley, Jan. 30, 1883. They live in the township in the vicinity of Ackley. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 501-502)|
|Thomas McCarron located on section 4, in the year 1877. His occupation is farming. He was born in the parish of Old Saints, Ireland, July 8, 1817. He came to the United States in 1833, and lived in Lancaster Co., Penn., until 1846. He was married in 1843, to Nancy Wood, of American birth, whose death occurred Nov. 29, 1864. Ten children had been born to them, all of whom are living Margaret, Mary, Thomas, Sarah, William, Ellen, John, Marjule, Nancy J. and Elizabeth. They lived twenty-three years in Dubuque Co., Iowa, then moved to Etna township, Hardin county, from thence to Geneva township, and finally to their present home in Osceola township, Franklin county. Ellen was married to William Graw, and they are the parents of three children. Sarah was united in marriage to Benjamin Turner; they have one child. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 508-509)|
|Edward McClelland is a son of Frederick and Dorcas (Carr) McClelland, who were early settlers of Pennsylvania, where they lived until their death; his father died January 1859, aged seventy years, and his mother, in 1863, aged sixty-seven. They had ten children, six boys and four girls. The subject of this sketch was the fourth, and one of twins, born in Bradford in 1824. He acquired a good common school education and chose farming as an occupation. He married Hannah P. Roberts, July 18, 1847. She was born in Bradford, Penn., May 27, 1820. They came to Geneva township in 1861, and in January 1878, removed to their present home on section 15. Four children have been born to them Edward B., Marietta (deceased), Edward D. and Mary J. They are members of the Disciple Church, and also of the Grange. He is a republican in politics, and has held several county offices. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 353)|
|N.B. McClintock came from Pennsylvania with his parents to Clinton Co., Iowa, in 1851. He was the son of Francis and Susan (Baird) McClintock, born in Beaver Co., Penn., July 9, 1850, and came into Iowa when he was an infant. As he grew up he was educated in the common schools and afterwards at Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa. He followed school teaching in Clinton county for about nine years. In 1878 he came to Franklin county and has since been engaged in farming and teaching. He was married in 1876 to Elizabeth Pray, a native of Du Page Co., Ill., but reared in Iowa. They have two children Francis M. and Alice L. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 563)|
|James T. McCormick, is one of the gentlemen who can present valid claims to the rank of pioneer in Franklin county, arriving here in October 1857. Soon after, he was appointed deputy treasurer and recorder, which position he filled three years. In 1860, he engaged in the real estate business at Hampton. In 1862, he was appointed to fill a position in the quartermaster's department at Washington, D. C, where he remained six years. He has since been justice of the peace at Hampton, and is a charter member of the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the society of A.O.U.W. Mr. McCormick was born in Union Co., Penn., May 8, 1836. He is a son of Samuel C. and Sarah (Taggart) McCormick. He was educated at the Baptist University, at Lewisburg, Penn. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 185)|
|Col. T. E. McCracken immediately after purchasing the Recorder [Jan. 1, 1878] made satisfactory arrangements with L. B. Raymond, who was then running the Hampton Leader, whereby the two papers were consolidated under the name of the Franklin County Recorder, with the firm of McCracken & Raymond. T. E. McCracken and L. B. Raymond as editors and proprietors. This arrangement made the Recorder the consolidation of three papers the Franklin Recorder, the Hampton Free Press and the Hampton Leader. In speaking of the new departure, the editors said, in the issue of Jan. 8, 1879: "As the Recorder announced last week, arrangements have been perfected, where-by it and the Hampton Leader have been consolidated into one paper. It was expected that the name of this paper would be the Franklin Reporter, but it has been decided to retain the name Recorder, calling it the Franklin County Recorder, and as such it would appear to-day if our new head had arrived in time. We are well aware that this consolidation of two active, energetic, aggressive and partisan newspapers will not meet with favor from all parties. The old Reporter had friends who have stood by it through thick and thin, and whose political gospel it was, and the same is true of the late Leader, and it would be too much to expect for the new Recorder to take the place of either in the estimation of its most radical friends. It seems to be the almost universal opinion that it is time peace prevailed and that newspaper fights in Franklin county should cease." The partnership between T. E. McCracken and L. B. Raymond was continued until Jan. 7, 1880, when L. B. Raymond purchased the interest of his partner and assumed full control. T.E. McCracken, the outgoing partner came to Hampton from Webster City. He was a native of Indiana, and frequently spoke of his former residence in Posey county. His parents were Quakers, and he followed in their footsteps. At an early day he came to Iowa, and in company with Thomas Mercer, now of California, in 1871, and established the Republican at Marshalltown. In 1874 he moved to Webster City and purchased the Hamilton county Freeman, which he published for about one year, also engaging in mercantile trade. He was sheriff of Marshall county for four years, and for several years filled the position of collector of internal revenue of the old sixth district. He was a pleasant, social gentleman, witty and full of fun. He was a blunt spoken man, a great politician and a vigorous writer. Col. McCracken is now in the postal service of the government. His home is in Webster City. (Chapter 14, The Press, pg 276-277)|
|N. McDonald, assessor at Hampton, first located his interests in Franklin county, in 1861, when he was his brother's agent for the Franklin mills. He afterward established himself in trade at Hampton, in which enterprise he met with gratifying success, he closed his business in 1864, but found a life of retirement unsuited to his active temperament, and in 1867, he again commenced operations in trade, continuing until 1873. Since that date he has been engaged in real estate traffic and has been recently dealing extensively in fine stock. In politics, Mr. McDonald is a republican. He was married in 1851 to Mollie Marshall. He was born in Perry, Co., Ohio, Feb. 8, 1832. He passed the first twenty-four years of his life in his native county, and in 1856 he came to Champaign Co., Ill., and there engaged in commercial life. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 411-412)|
|James W. McDougle is from Seneca Co., Ohio, born Jan. 28, 1835, where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. He is of Scotch extraction. He was married in Richland Co., Ohio, Dec. 20, 1863, to Margaret J. Riley, born in Allegheny Co., Penn., June 8, 1840. In the fall of 1868, he came to Franklin county, remained over winter at Mayne's Grove, and in the spring came to Geneva township, where he still resides. He enlisted May 2, 1864, in Company I, 164th Ohio National Guards, serving until Aug. 27, 1864. They have had two children William and May (deceased). They are members of the Methodist Church at Four Mile Grove. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 355)|
|Hon. James W. McKenzie. July 10,
1878, J.W. McKenzie, of Hampton, was nominated for judge
of the eleventh judicial district at the convention held
at Fort Dodge, and was elected at the October election
following, by a majority of 2,336 over Hon. H. E. J.
Boardman. Judge McKenzie was compelled to resign on
account of ill health, and died shortly afterwards. From
the Franklin County Recorder, under date Jan.
18, 1882, the following sketch of the judge is taken:
"Judge McKenzie is dead. After a lingering illness,
which he bore with extraordinary fortitude, he peacefully
breathed his last at half past four o'clock last Sunday
morning, January 15."
James Wheeler McKenzie was the son of Roderick and Rachel McKenzie, and was born in Wyandot Co., Ohio, July 2, 1843. His early life was spent on a farm, with such early schooling as the district schools could afford. He early manifested a taste for reading and intellectual pursuits, however, and the outbreak of the war found him well educated and well informed for his age. His first enlistment was in a regiment known as the 'Squirrel Hunters,' which was called into service to protect the southern border of Ohio, but this service was of short duration, and in March, 1864, he enlisted in the Signal corps as a private. At this time he was, and had been for two years, a student at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, in that State. He was assigned to duty in the department of the Tennessee, and most of the time until the close of the war he was on duty at the corps headquarters, commanded by Logan, McPherson and Howard. He was an eye-witness to the death of General McPherson, in 1864, and narrowly escaped capture at that time. While at Altoona, Oct. 5, 1864, when that place was attacked by the rebels under General French, he was on duty with a detachment of signal men and acting as sergeant, but in reality only a private, the occurrence took place which has passed into history and song under the title of 'Hold the Fort!' For bravery on this occasion McKenzie was mentioned in General Order No. 40, from the Bureau of the Signal corps, Nov. 30, 1804, as follows: For coolness, bravery and good behavior under fire, during an attack of the enemy on Altoona, Ga., Oct. 5, 1864.
In the summer of 1865, he was mustered out of service, and after one term spent at Oberlin College, he taught school during the winter of 1865-6, and commenced the study of law in the office of Berry Bros., at Upper Sandusky, in the spring of 1866. In the fall of that year he entered the law department of the Michigan State University, at Ann Arbor, graduating therefrom in the spring of 1868. His father had removed with his family to Richland township, in this county, in the spring of 1867, so that he spent the summer at his father's place, returning here upon his graduating in the spring, as stated above.
At the spring term of the district court of that year he was admitted to the bar and commenced practice. The first year or two was not encour- aging to him. He lacked the pushing forward and self-sufficient manner that brings so many young lawyers to the front, especially in the west; but he was during all this time a close student, and finally it began to be known that this pale faced, quiet young man was a well-read lawyer, a safe counselor, and above all, an honest, upright man. From about the first of the year 1870, his practice steadily increased until, when at his nomination for district judge, he stood confessedly at the head of the bar in Franklin county. He was never an office seeker, although he was for three years president of the school board of the independent district of Hampton, and, in 1876, was a delegate to the National Convention at Cincinnati that nominated Hayes. July 10, 1878, he was nominated for district judge for the eleventh judicial district at the convention held at Fort Dodge, and was elected at the October election following by a majority of 2,336 over Hon. H. E. J. Boardman, a well known and popular lawyer, which was 480 ahead of the State republican ticket in the district. In January following: he assumed the duties of his office, and from that time until failing health compelled his resignation, he discharged the duties of his office with industry and fidelity, and showed a rare adaptation to the position. In fact he possessed in perfection the qualities that go to make a good judge, and if his life and health had been spared he would have made for himself a bright record as a judge and achieved distinction on the bench. Judge McKenzie was, while eminently a just man, also a kind-hearted and philanthropic one, and public-spirited and liberal even beyond his means. He was a member of the M. E. Church and met death without a doubt as to the future.
In December, 1871, he was married to Delia Hemingway, of Ann Arbor, Mich., and she remains with four children, a boy and three girls, to mourn the loss of the kind husband and father. About a year ago he was taken with bleeding at the lungs, but continued to discharge his duties until March, when he became so much worse that he came home and took to his bed. He recovered sufficiently to take a trip to Tennessee in May, going from thence to Michigan, where he spent the summer and then returned home, having abandoned all hope, and, as he said himself, 'Only waiting for the end.' From that time he gradually grew weaker and weaker until when death did come to him it must have come as a relief.
Other citizens of Hampton may become more distinguished than he and achieve greater notoriety and even popularity, as the world goes, but no one will ever hold a stronger place in the hearts of our people and of all who knew him than J. W. McKenzie."
In reference to the incident upon which the song of "Hold the Fort" is based, the following facts are given: Altoona Pass, an insignificant station on the Chattanooga & Atlanta railroad, is located at the foot of the mountains from which it derives its name. A railroad pass has been cut through one of the foot hills of the mountains and is named after the station. While General Sherman was investing Atlanta, he had established a depot of supplies for his army at Altoona Pass, and on the 4th of October, 1864, there were about 1,500,000 rations stored here. The Pass was guarded by the 93d Illinois regiment and detachments from the 4th Minnesota and I8th Wisconsin regiments. The two forts, one on either side of the railroad pass, were garrisoned by the 12th Wisconsin Battery, with six ten pound guns; the entire force being under command of Lieutenant Colonel Tourtelotte, of the 93d Illinois. At this time, General Sherman's army was marching towards the Pass, but was yet beyond Kenesaw, eighteen miles from Altoona. During the night of Oct. 4, the forces at the Pass were reinforced by the arrival of General Corse, with the 7th Illinois, and another detachment of the 4th Minnesota. The enemy was advancing from the south, destroying the railroad and telegraph lines, and the only communications to be had with General Sherman, and his army, was by means of the signal corps, a detachmentunder Lieutenant Allen, having been sent to Altoona some weeks previous, for that purpose. Upon the arrival of General Corse, he took command of all the forces at Altoona, numbering less than 2,000 all told. By daylight, on the 5th of October, the little garrison was completely invested by French's division of Stewart's Confederate corps, numbering 8,000 men, and a large force of Cavalry. As soon as it was light enough to enable the gunners to sight their guns, the Confederates opened fire upon the forts from a battery occupying a commanding position. The fire was immediately answered by the 12th Wisconsin Battery and a brisk cannonading was kept up for the next two hours. During this time, Kenesaw was enveloped in a mist so dense that the signals could not be seen. At half-past 8 o'clock the Federals were summoned to surrender, and upon their refusal, the Confederates assaulted the forts with great fury, charging through the town and up the sides of the hill, nearly to the Union lines. About ten o'clock, and while the fight was raging, the mist cleared away from the brow of Kenesaw, and the signal flags, for which the besieged had been anxiously waiting, were plainly visible through the telescope. Sherman was calling to the invented forces. At first it was only necessary to signal a recognition, which was done by waving the flag above the parapet and without exposure. Then came from Kenesaw the famous message, "Hold the Fort for I am coming. Where is Corse?" signed, Sherman. When this message was communicated to General Corse, he said to J. W. McKenzie, who was in charge of the signal squad, "Tell Sherman that I am here, and we can hold the fort." To send this message to Sherman, required that some one should mount the parapet of the fort, and in plain view of the enemy, exposed to a merciless fire, signal, letter by letter, each word of the message. McKenzie called for volunteers. One of the men answered, "I will go if I am ordered but will not volunteer," and then McKenzie, with noble self-sacrifice, seized the flag, stepped into an embrasure, from there climbed up to the parapet, and with the shot and bullets falling like leaden hail about him, waved the message back to Sherman. (Chapter 6, The Courts, pg 170-173)
|Tom C. McKenzie came to Hampton in
March, 1867, in company with his brother J.W. He remained
a short time, then went to Cedar Falls and studied law in
the office of Packard & Brown. He pursued his studies
until fall, then went to Ann Arbor, Mich., and took a law
course, returning to Hampton the following spring. Mr.
McKenzie was admitted to the bar in April, soon after his
return to this place. He then went to Sioux City, this
State, and engaged in the real estate business; but not
meeting with the success he expected, he returned to
Hampton in the fall, and in company with his brother,
opened the first regular law office in the place. The
country was new, however, and there was but little
business for lawyers; so Mr. McKenzie concluded to try
his skill in a newspaper enterprise. He went to Ackley,
Hardin county, this State, and established the Ackley
Mirror, which paper he ran until fall, when he sold
and returned to Hampton. He has since made this his home,
engaged in the practice of his profession.
Mr. McKenzie was born in in Wyandot Co., Ohio, Sept. 30, 1845. His parents were Roderick and Rachel (Berry) McKenzie; the former a native of New York; the latter of Virginia. Mr. McKenzie made his native State his home, until coming to Iowa as above stated. He received his education at Ohio Wesleyan University, and at Oberlin College, having attended two years at the former and part of one year at the latter institution. In the spring of 1864, he enlisted in the Signal Corps and served until the close of the war. Most of this time the signal squad was attached to the 15th Army Corps, General John A. Logan, commander.
Mr. McKenzie was married Dec. 1, 1869, to Florence Brown, of Cedar Falls. Jan. 16, 1876, Mrs. McKenzie died leaving two children Nellie and Edwin, and one month later, little Edwin followed her. Mr. McKenzie was again married March 26, 1879, to Louie M. Harris, of Kirksville, Mo. This union has been blessed with two children Gertrude and James W. In 1870, Mr. McKenzie was elected clerk of the district court, and resigned in June, 1875. In 1877, he was elected county treasurer and was re-elected in 1879. In 1878, Mr. McKenzie entered into partnership with J. M. Hemingway, for the purpose of practicing law, under the firm name of McKenzie & Hemingway. The firm is one of the most reliable in the county and have a large law practice. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 184-185)
In October, 1877, T. C. McKenzie was elected [treasurer] to succeed Mr. Benson. He was re-elected in 1879, serving four years. Mr. McKenzie had served the county prior to this in the capacity of clerk of court, and was probably the most popular man who has ever held office in Franklin county. After the expiration of his term, he resumed the practice of law at Hampton, in which he is now engaged. (Chapter 12, Representation - County Treasurers, pg 256)
|W.F. McKenzie, grain dealer, was born in Wyandot Co., Ohio, in 1849. In his native county he grew to manhood on a farm, receiving a good education, spending two years at the State University of Iowa, finishing in 1874. He came to Franklin Co., Iowa with his parents in the spring of 1868, settling in Clinton township, and when only eighteen years of age, he commenced teaching school; taught several terms before entering the university, also four terms while in that institution. In 1875, he went into the stock business, buying and shipping to the Chicago market; this he continued until one year ago. In the fall of 1878 he formed a partnership for the purpose of buying grain, and is now doing a fine business. His father, Roderick and mother, Rachel, both died about a year ago. Mr. McKenzie is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, being one of the charter members. In politics he is a republican. Mr. McKenzie was married in October, 1880, to Maggie Winchell, a native of Wisconsin. They have one child Alma. He has held many of the town offices; is school treasurer at this time, also a member of the city council. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 341)|
|James McManus came to Osceola, Franklin county, in 1857, and entered 320 acres of land at government price, of which the heirs retain the greater part. He was born in Ireland. He was married in Huntingdon, Penn., to Catherine Loughren, and had nine children, five of whom are dead. Those living are Mary Ann, William H , James and John Thomas, and are esteemed and intelligent cilizens. Mr. McManus died Oct. 24, 1861. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 503)|
|A.G. McMillen was born in Saratoga Co., New York, July 23, 1850. In 1852 his father died, six years later the mother and her family came to Franklin county, and settled in Richland township. Here young McMillen grew to manhood, receiving a good common school education In 1876, he settled on his present farm of 280 acres, which he has occupied and cultivated ever since. In politics Mr. McMillen is a republican. He has held the office of township trustee. On the 22d day of December, 1872, he was married to Anna S. Seney, from which union they have three children living Maud, Augusta and John. Mrs. McMillen died Jan. 10, 1882. (Chapter 32, Richland twp., pg 558)|
|W.H. McMillen is one of the most
prominent and wealthy farmers and stock raisers in
Franklin county. He is now a member of the board of
county supervisors, and was one of the first settlers in
what is now Ross township, having moved here with his
step-father, John Ashman, in 1858, coming here from
Saratoga Springs, Saratoga Co., N.Y., where he was born
in the fall of 1851. He is about thirty-two years of age.
His father, William McMillen, was of Scotch descent, and
died when his son, W. H., was a small boy. His mother
soon after became the wife of John Ashman, a prominent
and highly cultured gentleman of Saratoga Springs. The
family came to Iowa in 1858 and settled at Old Chapin.
The subject of the present sketch was reared on the farm,
attending the common schools of the town, but received
his principal instructions from his cultured step-father,
and being an apt scholar he made rapid advancement, so
that at the age of thirteen, the county superintendent
having examined him with other members of the school,
pronounced him one of the best scholars in the school,
and offered to give him a certificate to teach in any of
the common schools of the county. This was quite a
compliment to a boy of thirteen, coming as it did from a
thorough scholar and educator. He, however, continued his
studies under the direction of his step-father until two
years later, when his step-father died leaving the
subject of this sketch, at the age of fifteen years, and
a brother two years older, to look after the property
left their mother by Mr. Ashman; and from that time on he
did the work of a man, looking after his mother's
property with as much interest as he now does his own.
Having reached his majority he commenced the battle of life for himself. For three years he rented and worked his mother's farm on shares, and in 1875 he bought his present farm of 320 acres, just south of the thriving village of Chapin, in Ross township. His land, which he bought at thirteen dollars per acre, is now valued at fifty dollars an acre. His farm is a high state of cultivation, well fenced, with the finest farm buildings in the township, if not in the county, and decorated with all kinds of evergreens, having something over 3000 in all. He has in all 720 acres of land, part of it located in Richland township. He is also very extensively engaged in stock raising, having at this time about 200 head of horned stock, about fifty fine horses (four of them imported), 200 hogs, and does an extensive business in fattening, and shipping stock to the eastern market. Mr. McMillen is a self-made man having begun life with no other capital than good health, a good deal of common sense and a determination to succeed, and he has not been disappointed. He has been successful in all his pecuniary affairs and is today not only the richest but one of the most influential citizens of this locality.
He is a strong republican in politics and although he has never sought office, yet he has had many of the local offices forced upon him and is at present one of the supervisors of the county. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. at Hampton. His grandfather was a captain in the war of 1812, and died seven years ago at a very advanced age. His mother is of French descent and is related closely to the noted Grinnell family. Mr. McMillen was married in 1874, to Lila W. Blackstone, of Wisconsin, a native of Canada. They are the parents of four children Harry, Frank, Willie Carroll, and Chauncey. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 541-542)
|John McNeill, one of the largest stock farmers of Mott township, came to Franklin county in 1870 and commenced his struggle with the world as a day laborer. His success is so phenomenal as to deserve special notice. Begin ning with only his manhood's strength and steadfast determination, by economy and unwearying industry, he has secured a competency for old age. In 1872 he purchased eighty acres of land and has since increased his estate by purchase until he owns an aggregate of 840 acres in Franklin county. He was married in 1872, to Lucy Bobst. Their four children are Clara, Delia, Alexander and William. Mr. McNiell was born in Bath county, May 2, 1846. He is son of Hugh and Margaret (Hammell) McNeill, who settled in 1858, in Iowa Co., Wis., where Mr. McNeill passed his youth and first year of his manhood. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 485)|
|John Meehan was born in the county of Sligo, Ireland, June 22, 1825, and was with his father on the farm until sixteen, when he entered the Queen's service as a member of the Irish constabulary, and served six years. At the expiration of that time he resigned and came to America, to better his circumstances. He landed in New York, in 1846, came to the Indiana, settling in La Porte county. After living there about six years, he purchased a farm in Porter county and remained there until 1860, when he removed to Franklin Co , Iowa, and located on section 1, Ingham township. At that time Cedar Falls was the nearest market place, distant about fifty miles. In 1862 Mr. Meehan enlisted in Company H, 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served through two years of the hardest service. While at Fort Pillow he received an injury by being crushed on a heavy army wagon. After being in the hospital six months, he was discharged for disability, and now draws a pension. He has never received the full use of his arms. Since the war he has followed farming, and now has 160 acres of land on section 1. Mr. Meehan married Louise Ann Dillingham, of Cherry Valley, Ill., at her father's house in Cerro Gordo county, April 14, 1869. They have six children Mary, Edward, Bartley, Louisa, Ida and James. Mr. Meehan has been director of the school district for twelve years. Himself and wife are members of the Catholic Church in Dougherty township, Cerro Gordo county. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 436)|
|Col. S.J. Mendell came to Franklin county, in the fall of 1866, and settled on section 30, in Morgan township, where he still resides. He is a native of Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., N.Y., born February, 1821. He grew to manhood in his native county, received an academical education, attending, at different times, Union Academy at Belleville, Clinton Liberal Institute, at Clinton, and also Black River Institute, at Watertown. At twenty years of age, he went to Hopkinsville, Christian Co., Ky., and taught school. In 1844, he returned to his native place, and remained there until 1851, when he moved to Adams, N.Y., and engaged in merchandise, and dealt largely in agricultural implements, which business he followed until April, 1861, at which time he enlisted in the army. He served till the close of the war and made a good record. After the war he returned to New York, traveled through Minnesota and other States, and came here in 1866. He is a thorough republican, and has held local offices at home. He was married in 1845, to Mary J. Porter, a native of New York, born in 1824. They have had twelve children, eight now living: Estelle B., Jennie L., S. Herbert, William P., Henry S , Robert L., Gracie L. and Annie H. His parents were natives of Vermont and were married in New York, where they died. They had six children, Col. Mendell being the second. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 471)|
|John Menning, who came in 1870, is the oldest settler living in Marion township. He is the youngest of seven children, and was born in Bavaria, Germany, Sept. 24, 1827. He is the son of John and Elizabeth (Konig) Menning, also born in Bavaria. He emigrated to America when twenty-four years of age, first locating in Columbia Co., Wis., but was in different parts of that State for seventeen years, when he came to Franklin county, Oct. 16, 1870, and settled on section 13, April 9, 1872. He was at that time a very poor man, having when he arrived but $17, but energy and hard work, soon placed him in better circumstances. He bought 160 acres of land on section 13, at $7.50 per acre which is now in an excellent state of cultivation, and he has also a comfortable home. He was married to Barbara Stoppel, also from Bavaria, Germany. They have a family of nine children John, Michael, George A., Margaret, Elizabeth, Barbara, Henry F., Andrew and Emma C. They belong to the Lutheran Church and were one of three families who were original members. He usually votes the democratic ticket and has held offices of trust in his township. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., pg 461-462)|
|George Messelheiser came to Franklin county in 1867. He was a lad of eleven years, and from an unsophisticated boy he has grown to manhood and importance as a citizen and farmer of Mott township. He was born in Jefferson Co., Wis., Jan. 26, 1856. During his early boyhood his parents removed to Dane Co., Wis. He is at present school treasurer. Mr. Messelheiser was married in 1880 to Mena Kugler. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 485)|
|Daniel Meyer is the possessor of a fine farm of eighty acres on section 1. He is a farmer, and the son of Jacob and Catherine (Koppas) Meyer, of Bavaria, Germany, where he was born April 29, 1838. When he was fourteen years old, his parents came to the United States, going first to Stephenson Co., Ill., where they lived ten years, then coming to Iowa in 1873. He was married in Osceola township to Mary Miller, in 1870, by whom he has six children Jacob, William, Elizabeth, Frank, George and John. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 508)|
|Frederick Meyer was one of the first settlers on the West Fork. He was born in Madison Co., Ill., Jan. 21, 1838. His parents, Henry and Sophia (Baumgardner) Meyer, were natives of Switzerland, and were among the early settlers of Illinois. When Frederick was eleven years of age the family removed to Sauk Co., Wis., and in the fall of 1856, settled in Franklin county. In 1859 Frederick went by overland route to California, being six months on the road. He engaged in mining until 1863, when he went by way of Panama to New York city and there enlisted as a private in company G, 20th New York Infantry. He served until February, 1866, the regiment being detailed for duty at City Point and Richmond, Va. After his discharge in New York city, he returned to Franklin county and has since resided here. He owned eighty acres of land on section 33, West Fork, which he sold in 1876 and removed to his present location on section 12, in Ross township. He has 240 acres of the finest land in the county, which he values at $30 per acre. In 1880 he built his fine residence and now has one of the most comfortable homes in the township. Mr. Meyer has been twice married, the first time to Martha Bushyager, May 10, 1867. She died in 1873, leaving two children Frederick and Martha. On the 23d of August, 1874, Mr. Meyer married Eliza Chambers, daughter of B. S. Chambers, of Ingham township. Two children were born to them Maud and Alta May. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are members of the M. E. Church of West Fork. He has been school director and road supervisor, and is a democrat in politics. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 568-569)|
|Heinrich Meyer, the only child of
Heinrich and Doratha (Hener) Meyer, was born Nov. 22,
1856, at Hanover, Germany. His early life was spent at
home, where he received a common school education, and at
the age of nineteen came to the United States, first
stopping at Cincinnati, Ohio, and soon afterwards came to
Frank- lin Co., Iowa and purchased land in Grant
township, where he now resides. He was married to Doratha
Gottscholk, in 1877, by which union there are three
bright children Alviana, Doratha and Augusta.
(Chapter 20, Grant twp., pg 371)
Heinrich Meyer, came in 1876 and located in Marion township, purchasing eighty acres of land on section 15. Mr. Meyer was born in Hanover, Germany, Nov. 22, 1856, and remained in his native country until he was nineteen years old, when he came to the United States. He stopped for some time in Cincinnati, Ohio, then came to Iowa, locating in Franklin county, as above stated. In 1877 Mr. Meyer was married to Dorothea Gottschalk, also a native of Hanover, Germany. This union has been blessed with three children Alvina, Dorothea and Augusta. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are both members of the Lutheran Church. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., pg 463)
|Henry Meyer, Sr., succeeded James H. Beed as recorder, being elected in 1868, and re-elected in 1870. Mr. Meyer was born in Switzerland on the 27th of June, 1809. In 1833, he came to America, and settled in southern Illinois, where he remained, engaged at farming, until 1846, and then moved northward to Sauk Co., Wis. There he engaged at the same vocation, and remained until 1855, when he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and settled on the West Fork. In 1868, as stated, he was elected recorder of the county. After the expiration of his second term of office, he embarked in mercantile trade at Hampton, and was in active business life until 1882, when he retired. Mr. Meyer was married in 1831, to Sophia Baumgartner, who was born in Switzerland, November 8, 1812. They have been blessed with twelve children. The living ones are Sophia, Henry, Fred, Emile, Bertha and Adolph. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 256-257)|
|John Meyer came to Franklin county, June 1858, locating on section 32. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1832. His parents, George and Barbara A. (Westfall) Meyer, were also natives of Bavaria. In 1848 they emigrated to Waukesha Co., Wis., where the father died in 1859, aged sixty-five, the mother in May 1882, aged seventy-five. They had a family of eight children. The subject of the sketch being the third. He received a common school education, and learned the carpenter trade in Wisconsin, which he has followed in Franklin county. He was married Oct., 4, 1854, to Catherine Orwilea, a native of Prussia, born in 1834. Her parents, Jacob and Elizabeth Orwilea, were also of Prussia. In 1844, they emigrated to Waukesha Co., Wis. Her mother died in 1846, but her father still survives. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are members of the Pleasant Ridge M. E. Church. They have had seven children John, Henry M., (deceased), Barbara A., Mary E., William, George W. and Charles F. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 518-519)|
1883 Biography Index
was created on October 16, 2014
©2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.