1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

H

~*~*~

T.H. Hacker came with his parents to Marion township in 1864. He was born in Medina Co., Ohio, in 1852. When two years of age, his parents moved to Madison, Wis., where they lived until he was twelve years old. He received a liberal education, attending the Wisconsin State University during the years 1877, 1878 and 1879. He taught school when he was twenty years old, and has devoted the most of his life to that vocation. He has held several important township offices. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., pg 461)
N.W. Hagenson located where he now resides, on section 17, of Oakland township, in 1870. His first settlement in the town was in 1867, on section 7. He is the proprietor of 180 acres of land, and keeps about thirty head of cattle. He was born in Norway, March 22, 1836, and at the age of twenty, fixed on America as his future home. He came to Chicago, and afterward went to Dane Co., Wis. Five years later he proceeded to Yanktown, Dakota, where he was one of the first to establish a residence. He held his homestead four years, when the combined forces of the grasshopper invasion and Indian outbreak interfered with his hopes and plans. Personal threatenings from the "Lo" fraternity caused him to absent himself from his holdings for five weeks. He finally went to Ogle Co., Ill., and six months later to Wisconsin. He was married in that State in 1861, to Synneva Lampson, who died in the fall of 1873, leaving seven children — Helena, Annie, Edward S., Albert N., William N., Martin Olaus and Nicholas. In 1877, Mr. Hagenson married Johanna Johnson of Oakland. They have one child — Synneva J. Mr. and Mrs. Hagenson are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. He is a republican in political faith, and has officiated in several township and school offices. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., pg 496)
J.F. Haight. In 1877 the legal profession received an addition in the person of J. F. Haight, who located at Sheffield and commenced the practice of law. He had but little practice, paying most of his attention to insurance business. In 1880 he went to Tama county, this State, and in 1883 was located in Hamilton county. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 183)
J. W. Hall came to Franklin Co., Iowa, about 1863 or 1864. He was born in St. Clair Co., Mich., 1841, came, when a child, with his parents to Illinois, and his father being a railroad conductor, went with him as teamster at the age of twelve, which he followed until he came to Iowa, in 1863. In 1864 he bought a farm in West Fork township, where he farmed till 1868, then went to Mason City as foreman on the C., M. & St. P. railroad, with fourteen teams in his charge, and remained there four years. In 1872, he was on the Illinois Central R. R., spent the two summers of 1873 and 1874 on the Central Iowa R. R., and and returned to Mason City as drayman for five years. He then went to Missouri as foreman on the K. C. N. R. R,. running two seasons, after which he came back to Sheffield and bought the billiard hall and ran it six months. He then spent one season as foreman on the C, M. & St. P. R. R., and a few months as engineer in the mill, and finally settled in Sheffield where he still lives. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 336)
Lyman Hall is a native of Knox Co., Ohio, born in March, 1853. His parents, Norman and Betsy (Bell) Hall, were among the early settlers of Knox county, from which they removed to Bureau Co., Ill., where the father died in 1876. Lyman passed his youth on the farm in Bureau county, and when the rebellion broke out, enlisted, but on account of lameness in his left arm, was rejected. In 1867 he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, remained through the winter and returned to Illinois. The following May he came to Iowa again, returning that fall. He remained in Illinois for two years, then came to reside in Franklin Co., Iowa. He bought eighty acres of land of his uncle, Simon Selix, and has improved the place, until he has now a fine home, surrounded with all the comforts of life. In 1858, Mr. Hall married Lucina Ellen Brotherton, whose parents were among the first settlers in Franklin county. Mr. Brotherton died, April 25, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are the parents of two children — Norman Hall and Leona Adell. In politics, he is a republican. Himself and wife are members of the United Brethren Church. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 439-440)
S.E. Hall, jeweler, became a resident at Hampton, in 1869, and here he grew up and obtained his education at the public schools. At the age of sixteen, he commenced learning the details of his present business, which he has since pursued. He was born in Stephenson Co., Ill., Jan. 16, 1857. He is a son of A. and Catherine (Zimmerman) Hall. They settled here in 1869. Mr. Hall married Lillian Denton, of Charles City, in September, 1882. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 402)
Thomas Hall, a pioneer farmer of Franklin county, came to West Fork, then Ingham township, in 1860. He located on section 3, where he still lives. A part of his residence was the first school house built in the township. Mr. Hall is a Canadian by birth and was born May 30, 1806, at Caledonia, Ottawa. He was the first white child born at Caledonia Springs. His father, Joshua Hall, was born in Vermont, and his mother, Clarissa (Mitchell) Hall, was a native of Massachusetts. The family removed about 1816, near Niagara Falls, and two years later the mother died, when the senior Hall returned to the Dominion with his household, settling at London, province of Ontario, where they lived thirteen years. They next went to St. Clair Co., Mich., where Thomas Hall lived nine years, going thence to Winnebago Co., Ill. He was a farmer there until 1860. He was married, Aug. 29, 1829, to Charlotte Morehouse, at London, Canada. She was born in Vermont. Her parents settled in Iowa about 1860. Her mother, Clarissa Morehouse, died in 1866, and her death was the first in the township of West Fork. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have had ten children, five of whom are living — Philo,Alonzo J., John W., Clarrissa, (Mrs. William Hartwell), and Mary M., wife of Lon Sumner. Mr. Hall has held the offices of trustee, road supervisor and school director. He was a democrat previous to the war, but is now identified with the republican party. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 574-575)
Franklin M. Hamblin arrived in Grant township, in May, 1868, and was one of its organizing board. He was born Nov. 8, 1836, in Hancock Co., Ohio; is a son of Don Alonzo and Isabel (Slight) Hamblin, and is the fourth of eight children. He obtained a fair education in the common schools of his native State, and, in 1854, came to Iowa. He was a resident of Dubuque county, until May, 1868, when he settled in Grant township, Franklin county. He enlisted as a soldier in the civil war, Oct. 8, 1861, enrolling in company H, 12th Iowa Infantry. He was in active service three years, receiving an honorable discharge Dec. 6, 1864. He was married May 16, 1880, to Fanny Smith. Their two children are named Avallon G. and Harriet J. Mr. Hamblin is a republican in political sentiment. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., pg 369)
Andrew Hamilton came in the fall of 1855. He was born in Dunnigal county, Ireland, in 1828. He received a common school education in his native country. In 1848, he came to America and settled in Harrison Co., Ohio, where he was engaged in farming. Here he lived until 1855, when he bought a lot of stock and came to Iowa, stopping in Independence for a few months, but the same year coming to Franklin county and settling on the farm where he still lives, and on which he built the first log house in the township. He continued to live in that house until 1873, when he built the house where the family now live. His father, Aaron, lived with him until his death in 1859. Mr. Hamilton makes a specialty of stock-raising and has a farm of 220 acres in this township and 160 acres in Lee township. The township of Hamilton was named in his honor without his knowledge or consent. He helped to build the Methodist church, of which he has been a member for about five years. In politics he is, and has been all his life, a strong republican. He was married, in 1862, to Jane Stockdale, a native of Ireland, who came to Iowa with her parents in an early day. They are the parents of eight children — Charles S., Robert, Willie, Frank, Jesse, Asbury, Lillie May and Johnnie C. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 374-375)
Lloyd Hamilton has been pursuing his trade of blacksmith at Hampton since 1874, at which date he settled in Franklin county. He was born in Baltimore Co., Md., Sept. 9, 1852. He there passed his boyhood and youth, and learned his business, which he has established at Hampton, and is operating extensively and profitably. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 405)
Robert Hamilton was born in Donegal county, Ireland, in 1826, and came to America in 1847, first settling in Ohio, where he worked by the month for nine years, when he moved, May, 1856, to Franklin Co., Iowa, and entered eighty acres on section 25 and has added eighty acres more, now having a fine farm under cultivation. He is a member of the Methodist Church, is a republican, and has been township trustee several times. He was married in 1854 to Mary Scott, of Jefferson Co., Ohio. They have four children — James A., David, Charles and Bessie. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., pg 374)
William Hamilton has been a resident of Iowa since about 1855, when he came to Scott county, and located about twelve miles from Davenport, which was his home until he came to Franklin county, in 1876. He bought a farm in the township of West Fork, which he has rented since the fall of 1882, when he took up his residence at Hansell station. Mr. Hamilton was born near Philadelphia, Aug. 20, 1834. His parents, William and Rose (Calhoun) Hamilton, were natives of Ireland and emigrated to Pennsylvania at an early day. The father was a farmer and Mr. Hamilton was reared to the same profession. He was educated in the common schools and received three terms of instruction at an academy. Mr. Hamilton was married Dec. 17, 1856, to Mary Paul, of Philadelphia. She died Sept. 8, 1868, leaving four children — Eva, John, George and James. June 20, 1869, Martha Quigley became the wife of Mr. Hamilton. Their children are — Ada, Willie, Mary and Benjamin. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are members of the M. E. Church Mr. Hamilton is a republican in political faith, and has held the office of justice of the peace, beside the several school offices. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg. 446)
E.F. Hanks came to Mott township, Franklin county, in 1865. He settled, where he now resides, on a farm of 160 acres on section 17, and twelve and one-half acres on section 1, Marion township. He has been for the past five years one of the trustees of the township, and in political action is independent. He was born in Orleans Co., N.Y., Feb. 11, 1827. His parents are both natives of Connecticut; they were respectively Rufus and Cynthia (Knight) Hanks. They settled in Crawford Co., Penn., soon after the birth of their son, and there he resided until 1846, when he went to Warren Co., Penn. In 1854 he removed to Allamakee Co., Iowa, and there interested himself in agriculture, and worked to some extent as a carpenter and builder. He has been three times married. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 481-482)
George W. Hansell moved from Ohio to Cedar Co., Iowa, April, 1855. He came to Geneva township in July of that year, locating on sections 6 and 7, where he lived until 1873, when he removed to Ingham township, where he had owned land for several years. The station on the Dubuque & Dakota railway was named after him. The village of Hansell was laid out by George W. Hansell in the summer of 1881. Fifteen acres were platted on the northwest quarter of section 28, and a part on 29 The Dubuque & Dakota railroad established a station there one year after the line was finished through the township, and named it in honor of Mr. Hansell. In 1883, George W. Hansell was erecting a large store building, to be stocked with general merchandise, the business house to be managed by a firm composed of Hansell, Son & Sweet, who were also to keep agricultural implements in another large warehouse, being built in July, 1883. G. W. Hansell is a heavy land holder and one of the most prominent citizens, from his connection with the progress and growth of the county, from its incipiency to the present time. He came to Franklin county in July, 1855, and located land on sections 6 and 7, in Geneva township and immediately commenced improving. He remained in Geneva township until 1873, when he removed to Ingham township, where he has since been an important factor in its general welfare. He owns 1100 acres of first-class land, and the splendid residence he occupies, built in 1873, at a cost of $5,200, is rated the finest building in the township. Mr. Hansell is also engaged extensively, as a stock farmer. He has always taken an active interest in county affairs generally, and was one of the voters who helped locate the county seat at Hampton, in 1856. In the summer of 1881, he laid out the village of Hansell, and the ensuing year, erected the elevator there. Mr. Hansell was born near Xenia, Ohio, Jan 15, 1830. Michael Hansell, his father, was a farmer at New Vienna, Ohio, and reared his son to the pursuit of agriculture. In 1850, the latter went to Keokuk, Iowa, and after a year's tarry went to Ohio. In the spring of 1855 he was married to Laura B. Smith of Ohio. Her parents went, at an early period, from Rhode Island to the Buckeye State. Mr. and Mrs. Hansell have four children — Othello V., James W., Ida M. and Colonel. They were all born in Franklin county. James W., second son, has been station agent and telegraph operator at Hansell since the station was established. He is also acting postmaster. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 450, 452-453; note: transcribed as written, although some of the information is redundant..sf)
Dr. O.B. Harriman located and commenced the practice of medicine at Hampton, in 1865. He was born Sept., 29, 1836, in Warner, N. H., where, in his youth, he attended Ellenwood Seminary — now Webster. He began the study of medicine in Concord, N. H., entered Dartmouth Medical College in 1857, where he graduated in 1860, followed his profession four years in Rockford, Iowa, and then settled at Hampton. He was the first president of the Franklin County Medical Association, and a member of the Northwestern and Iowa State Medical Association. He was superintendent of schools, of his native town, at the age of twenty, and has held many municipal offices in Hampton. He was an elector on the Harrison and Tyler ticket. In a nutshell, he is a democrat, Mason, Knight Templar and Odd Fellow. In April 1868, he married Ellen J. Donovan and they have seven children — Edwin, Jennie, Lily, Lura, Vera, Dua and an infant. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 199)
W.F. Harriman, mayor of Hampton, is among the leading attorneys of Franklin county. He was born at Warner, N. H., Aug. 16, 1841. Until the age of nineteen he was engaged in obtaining his education, studying first in the public schools and afterward at the New London Literary and Scientific Institute. He was employed some time subsequently in teaching, and later in reading law. He came west to Floyd Co., Iowa, in 1860, and in 1869 was admitted to the bar at Charles City. He soon after removed to Cherokee Co., Iowa. After a brief residence there he was elected to the office of county superintendent of schools, which post he held two years. In 1876 he came to Hampton, and has since been actively engaged in the prosecution of his profession. He is of the firm of Harriman & Luke. He is independent in politics and gives his support to the candidate who is, in his judgment, most fit for the position. He is popular with the people and has held several official positions previous to his present incumbency. Mr. Harriman is a member of the Masonic order, and belongs to Anchor Lodge, No. 191, of Hampton. He was married in 1865 to Ella E. Mitchell. Their children are: John W., Wilbert E. and Charles B. Harriman. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 186)
W.H. Harris, station agent and post-master at Chapin, was born in Warren Co., Ind., in 1844. When he was eleven years of age his parents moved to Montezuma, Iowa, and about this time his father died. His mother died when he was fourteen years of age, so that from this period onward he made his own way in the world. At the age of sixteen in company with others he made a trip across the plains to California, which took about four months. Here he remained but a short time. On the 19th of May, 1861, he went aboard a vessel before the mast at San Francisco as a sailor, the objective point being Boston. He followed the life of a sailor for about six years, the last year owning and conducting a small boat on Humboldt Bay. He then returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New York, and after spending one year in Indiana, he came back to Montezuma, Iowa, where he had formerly resided, and there followed farming for eight years, or until 1876. In that year he was appointed station agent at Ewart, on the C. I. railroad, and the year after came to Hampton, Iowa, as telegraph operator which position he filled for one year and was then sent to Faulkner, on the C. I. railroad, where he remained only a few weeks, when he was made station agent at Chapin and has been there ever since. In June, 1881, he was appointed postmaster. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., at Hampton, and a member of the Chapter. He was married in 1870 to Miss A. A. Greyson, a native of the State of Indiana. They have five children — Theodore, Nora, Alma, Wilfred and Leslie. In politics Mr. Harris has been a life-long republican. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 555-556)
William Harstwell was born in Brockville, Canada, in 1837. When a child his parents moved to London, Canada, where he lived until nineteen years of age. He was raised on a farm, and received a common school education. In 1856, he went to Wisconsin, but remained there only a short time. From there he moved to Illinois, bought land, and remained until 1860, when he came to Iowa. Mr. Harstwell was one of the first settlers in West Fork township, there being only two or three farmers when he came there. He helped to organize the town. He now rents his farm, and for the past year has lived in town, running a hotel. He bought his present hotel in 1882. In 1857, he was married to Clara Hall, a native of Canada. They have three children — Emma, Ida and Lyle. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 326)
John R. Hartgraves settled in Iowa in 1847, in Johnson county, and after living there seven years he went to Butler county in 1853. In August of the same year he settled where he has since resided, in Ingham township. His claim included land on each side of the creek, and afforded some of the finest timber in the county. It seems that human nature was in some respects similar to its present exhibit, as it is reported that much valuable timber was stolen in the early days. When Mr. Hartgraves settled in this county, Cedar Rapids was the nearest milling point and market place. He was born in North Carolina, Oct. 11, 1824. His father died when he was three years old, and the mother and three of her sons went to southern Indiana. Mr. Hartgraves there learned the trade of a tanner, at which he labored until the year of his removal to Iowa. He was married to Sina Ann Stacy, Aug. 13, 1843. They have had nine children— David, who died in the army; Nicholas T., John R., Peter, Solomon T., George, Elizabeth Jane, Almeda and Olive Caroline. Peter Hartgraves was the first child born in Ingham township. Mr. Hartgraves was the first road supervisor, and has been school director ten years. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 467)
John Hartman located on his present farm, which he purchased from his father, in 1869. He began life without means, but by hard work and strict economy he has accumulated a fine property. His farm contains 177 acres, with fine improvements and one of the best barns in the township He is the son of Jacob and Catherine (Heindle) Hartman, who were natives of York Co., Penn., which was also his birth place. He was born May 20, 1843. He lived with his parents until he was seventeen, when he went to Ogle Co., Ill., and worked on a farm until 1861, when he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, whither his parents had preceded him. He returned to Illinois, remaining until 1863, when he came and purchased his present home. Jan. 1, 1867, he was married to May M. Raeder, a native of Indiana, but then a resident of Floyd county. They have no children of their own but have adopted two boys, the sons of a widow. He is a democrat in politics, and has been road supervisor one year. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 533)
Benjamin Havens was born in Monmouth Co., N. Y., Nov. 9, 1842. He is a son of James and Hannah (Johnson) Havens, and was the fourth of ten children. In 1848, he removed to Wayne county, where he remained until the fall of 1860, when he went to Hardin Co., Iowa. In 1877, be came to Franklin county. In 1863, he enlisted in the 9th Iowa Cavalry, serving until February, 1866. He was married in July, 1866, to Mary E. Ford, by whom he has five children — John W. Benjamin Franklin, James H., Elmer E., Rosie May and Minnie M. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and a zealous worker in the republican party. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., pg 372)
Edward H. Haymond, fifth son of Rev. J. Haymond, was born September, 1852, in Kendall Co., Ill. He went with his parents to Black Hawk and Hardin counties, and after finishing his studies in the common schools, attended Friend's Academy at Providence, and also two terms in the Normal school at Iowa Falls, after which he followed teaching five years. He was married in April, 1873, to Etna E. Pence, born at Steamboat Rock, Hardin county, in 1856. He removed to Marshall Co., Iowa, in 1874, and remained there five years, then returned to Hardin county, and in 1881 came to Franklin county, settling on section 13, Geneva township, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Haymond have three children — Frank E., M. May and Roy C. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 363)
Rev. Jacob Haymond was born near Wheeling, W. Va., in 1826. He was the son of Edward and Nancy (Jones) Haymond, natives of West Virginia. In 1836 they removed to Indiana, and locating near Indianapolis, engaged in farming until 1855, when they removed to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, where they remained until they died, the father in 1860, aged sixty-one, the mother in 1863, aged sixty-one. Rev. J. Haymond was married in Indiana in 1847, to Martha Smith, born in North Carolina in 1820. After their marriage they went for a short time to Illinois, and in 1856 to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, where he tilled the soil until 1860, when he entered the ministry, which profession he still follows. Though he only had a common school education, yet by reading and study he is well informed. He was converted before his marriage, in Indiana, and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. His first charge was Spring Creek, from 1860 to 1863, since which time he has been engaged in Marshall, Grundy, Hardin and Linn counties, and in 1879 took charge of the church at Geneva, remaining there three years, after which he went to Marshall county, where he is now. They had nine children, among them three pair of twins — Emily L., Malissa and Alonzo T. (twins), Elisha B., Edward H. , Ellen M. and Esther (twins), Byron and Eluma F. (twins), the latter deceased. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 360-363)
Bernard Heitman located herein 1873. He was born in Germany, in 1824. When eighteen years old he emigrated to America and settled in Galena, Ill., where he was married Feb. 4, 1864 to Mrs. Mary Feich, born in Alsace, June 15, 1831. She had been the wife of Frank Xavier, born in France, Oct. 30, 1824, married at Woodstock Illinois, April 1, 1850. They had four children — Mary, Joseph, Celestine and Louisa. Mr. Xavier died Sept. 30, 1860. By her last marriage they have four children — Henry, Josephine, Julia and Antoinette. Mr. Heitman was also twice married, had four children all now living — Mary, Catherine, Caroline and Frank. They are all members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Heitman came to Franklin county from Illinois in 1873, and purchased the farm, where the family now reside. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 358)
J.M. Hemingway, junior member of the law firm of McKenzie & Hemingway, has been a resident of Hampton since 1875. He was born at Hadley, Mich., Dec. 4, 1848, and is a son of John and Sarah (Dexter) Hemingway. In 1869, he entered the literary department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and graduated in 1873. He came to Iowa in 1874, and matriculated at the State University at Iowa City, and graduated from the law department in the spring of 1875. He was admitted to practice in the supreme court of the State in June of that year. On opening his office at Hampton, he was associated with Hon. J. W. McKenzie, and on the latter's election as judge, he formed a co-partnership with T. C. McKenzie. He is a republican in politics. His business connection is regarded as among the leading in the county, and the firm is doing a prosperous and extensive business. Mr. Hemingway was married in 1877, to Natalia Zimmerman, born in La Porte, Ind. They have one child — Irma. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 185)
H.C. Henderson, the present judge of the eleventh judicial district, is a native of Virginia, and comes of a family who were quite prominent in that commonwealth. His father was an old-line whig and quite intimate with Henry Clay, John Bell, and other noted politicians of that school. The family, or a portion of it, moved to Illinois at an early day; one of the members of it having since attained a national reputation — Thomas J. Henderson, colonel of one of the Illinois regiments during the rebellion, and subsequently a member of Congress from that State. While residing in Illinois, H. C. read law and was admitted to the bar. For several years he practiced his profession in Rock Island in that State, from which place he removed to Iowa, about 1856, locating in Marshalltown. Here he gained a large practice and quite a reputation throughout the State, as a lawyer and as a politician. He is also a radical prohibitionist. On the death of Judge McKenzie he was appointed by the governor of the State to fill the vacancy on the bench in this district. The position he has filled in a satisfactory manner, so much so as to secure him the nomination and election for the full term, beginning Jan. 1, 1883. (Chapter 6, The Courts, pg 173)
D.W. Henley has been engaged in the practice of his profession at Hampton, since 1875. He was born in what is now Hendricks Co., Ind., Jan. 26, 1848. He is a son of W. H. and Elizabeth (Pitts) Henley. He attended the public schools of his native county, and finished his education at Earlham College, where he graduated in 1871. He soon after began the study of law at Indianapolis, and soon after entered the law school at Des Moines, Iowa. In December 1875, he was admitted to the bar. He located at Hampton, and associated with John H. King, and afterwards with A. G. Kellam. Until lately, he has been a member of the law firm of Henley & Gilmer. In politics, he is a staunch republican and belongs to the order of Masons. Mr. Henley was married, in 1871, to Emily Stanton. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg 185)
John G. Herbster was born in Baden, Germany, Oct. 28, 1821. His parents were natives of Germany, where they lived until their death, the father in 1858, aged sixty-three, the mother in 1852, aged fifty-two, having a family of eight children, Mr. Herbster being the second. He was married in 1859, to Ann Mary Schreiber, born in Germany, Nov. 20, 1829. In the spring of 1859, they came to the United States and settled in Stephenson Co., Ill., where they lived two years, when he removed to Hardin Co., Iowa, and remained until the spring of 1869, when he came to Geneva township and purchased a farm of 160 acres on section 35. Mr. and Mrs. Herbster have had four children, three of whom are living — Jacob, Mary and Emma. They are members of the Evangelical Association. He is independent in politics, and has held local offices. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 356)
Jacob Heuberger is a native of Canton, Aargau, Switzerland, and came to America in 1872, and located first at Scale's Mound, Ill. His father's name was Henry Heuberger, and his mother's maiden name was Mary Buckle; the parents are still living in Switzerland. In 1875 Jacob Heuberger visited his parents in Switzerland, and on his return to his adopted country, he worked at wagon making at Scale's Mound and Apple River until 1879, he having learned the trade of wagon maker at the age of sixteen in his native land. In 1879 he came to Chapin and started his wagon shop here. He is master of his trade and has a good business. He owns 160 acres of land in the township of Ross. He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Hampton. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., pg 554-555)
John G. Hicks came to Franklin county in 1868, and purchased the farm where he now resides, on section 13, Reeve township. He was born in Cornwall, England, Aug. 15, 1839, and when ten years of age, emigrated with his parents to Canada, where the family remained two years, and then removed to Illinois, and settled in Jo Daviess county, where the father still lives, the mother having died there May 1, 1866. Here John G. Hicks spent his young days, being educated in the common schools. In December, 1863, he enlisted in company F, 17th Illinois Cavalry, and served till Dec. 26, 1865, being mustered out of the service at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. While at home on a furlough, he was married, April 10, 1864, to Josephine Carpenter, a native of Washington Co., N.Y., born Oct. 1, 1840. They have three children — Edwin A., born April 5, 1869, Cornetta, born June 20, 1873, and Marvin, born Dec. 9, 1881. Mr Hicks is a member of the I.O.O.F. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 529)
E.B. Hill, by trade a carpenter, was born in Franklin Co., Vt., Feb. 27, 1844. He is the son of David R. and Sarah (White) Hill, both natives of Vermont. When an infant his parents went to Franklin Co., N. Y., where he grew to manhood and learned his trade. In 1869 he emigrated to Maysville, Franklin Co., Iowa, and in 1871 moved to Hampton, working at his trade. In September, 1882, he took charge of the station at Alexander and opened a general store, and Nov. 13, 1882, was appointed postmaster at Alexander. In 1866 he was married to Mary Jane Garlick, a native of New York. They have three children — Minnie M., Lottie B. and Fred. B. (Chapter 33, Scott twp., pg 566)
Orlando Hilliker, agriculturist and stock farmer, was born in Dodge Co., Wis. May 28, 1847. His father, Ellis Hilliker, was a native of the State of New York, and a pioneer of Wisconsin. He came to Ingham township with his family, consisting of his wife, two sons and a daughter, in 1867. He bought a fine farm of 200 acres, in 1877, which is the property now owned by Orlando Hilliker, who is making a speciality of stock, and now has fifty-nine head of fine graded cattle. He was married, in 1870, to Merceena Smith, whose parents still reside in Ingham. They are natives of Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. Hilliker have had six children, five of whom are living — Ida, Flora, Etta, Freddie and Effie. Ellis died in 1876. The parents are members of the Church of the United Brethren. Mr. Hilliker is president of the school board. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pg 439)
C. C. Hobbie, carriage builder and blacksmith, came to Hampton in 1875, and soon after established his present extensive business, the largest of its kind in Hampton. He was born in Solon, Maine, Aug. 5, 1849. His parents removed soon after to Grant Co., Wis., where Mr. Hobbie grew to man's estate, and learned the trade of blacksmith. He was married in in 1874, to Annie Wassail, a lady of English birth. They have children as follows: Leslie, Florence, Louise and Alfred. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 405)
H.D. Hocking, of the firm of Hocking & Slade, dealers in general merchandise, Sheffield, and the present clerk of Clinton township, was born in England in 1834, and in 1841, came with his parents to America, settling at Galena, Ill., where he grew to manhood, with liberal educational advantages, completing at Mt. Morris, Ill., Academy. His father was a merchant, and much of his leisure time was spent behind his father's counter, thus laying a firm basis of practical experience that he utilized in his future life. When only nineteen, he began life for himself by accepting a clerkship in a general merchandise store in Galena, where he continued until 1877, when he came to Iowa and settled at Sheffield, Franklin County, taking a clerkship in the store of William Combellick, where he remained until the fall of 1882, when he embarked in business for himself, forming a partner ship with J. Slade, a well to do farmer of West Fork township and engaging in the general merchandising business. They commenced with a very small store and with limited stock, but under the careful management and business capacity of Mr. Hocking, combined with the frugality and care of his partner, their business has been a success from the first, amounting now to to about $20,000 per annum, and constantly increasing. Mr. Hocking is a working and influential member of the M. E. Church and a member of the I.O.O.F. at Galena, Ill. In politics he has been a life long republican. He has been twice married. The first time in 1859, to Angeline Cattle who died in 1860, and again in 1864 to Miss A. A. Anderson. They are the parents of one child — Willie, who is a clerk in his father's store. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., pg 332)
Major L.P. Holden came to Franklin county in August, 1871, settling first at Hampton and four years after going to Sheffield. While there he was engaged as a real estate broker. He returned to Hampton in 1870, where be has since resided. He is proprietor of 680 acres of land, 640 of which is located near Sheffield. He was born in Rutland Co., Vt., July 14, 1835, and is son the of Phineas H. and Betsy (Parker) Holden. His parents removed to Will Co., Ill. in 1836, where he was reared and educated in the common schools chiefly. His education was completed at the Davenport college. April 21, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, 20th Illinois Volunteers, going out as orderly sergeant, and serving as such for sixteen months when he was discharged for promotion in the 88th, known as the 2d Board of Trade regiment, where he was appointed captain of Company E, and in August, 1864, promoted to the rank of major. He served until the close of the war in 1865, and was in action at Fredericktown, Mo., Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, in the Atlanta campaign, Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville and in many minor engagements. In politics he was originally a Douglas democrat, and has always adhered to the principles of the democratic party. He is a Mason, and belongs to the Chapter; is also a Knight Templar. While home on a furlough in March, 1865, he was married to Lotta Reynolds, a native of Illinois. They have three children living — Birdie R. , Cora E. and an infant. After the war he was appointed assistant revenue assessor of Chicago and held that post for nearly six years. He is a member of the city council of Hampton. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 430-431)
Michael Holloran was born in Mayo Co., Ireland, in 1837. He moved to Yorkshire, England, in 1850, and there worked on a farm five years, and then joined the militia, serving one year in the British army in the Crimean war, Charles Napier commanding general. He sailed from one port to another and, finally, on the 10th of March, 1857, he landed at New York, where he learned the plumber and gas fitter's trade on Staten Island, under Thomas McNight. From there he moved to Belvidere, Boone Co., Ill. Here he learned the stone cutter and mason's trade, and soon after removed to Scotland Co., Mo., where he remained a year, thence back to DeKalb Co., Ill., where he farmed until 1870, at which time he came to Franklin county, settling on section 30, Osceola township, where he owns 400 acres of land. He was married to Ann Carroll in 1859. By this union there are eleven children: Mary, Kate, Martin J., Julia, Frank P., Annie Maggie, John W., Michael Edward, Thomas Joseph, and Robert Henry. Mary was married to Thomas Fahey in 1880. Mr. Holloran is a democrat in politics and a member of the Catholic Church. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 507-508)
Richard Horner. During 1856, Richard Horner and P. C. Berry, came to this township. Horner came from Indiana and settled on section 18, which had been taken up by John Evans, the year prior. Mr Horner was born, November 28, 1812, in Baltimore, Md. At fourteen years of age, he was bound out to learn blacksmithing. After serving an apprenticeship for five years, he spent four years working at his trade in Chambersburg and Pittsburg, when he returned to Baltimore and stayed there eighteen months, and also two years in Pittsburg. He also spent sometime in boating between Pittsburg and New Orleans. In 1835 he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and worked at his trade two years, and in 1837, went to Warren, Wayne county, Ind., and followed his trade until he came here, in 1856. After coming to Franklin county he combined blacksmithing and farming until 1862, when he turned his attention wholly to farming, which he still follows. He was married, October 22, 1840, to Hannah Maninfold, born in Washington Co., Tenn., December 1, 1820. They have had eight children — Benjamin, Jesse, (deceased), Joseph, (deceased), William, John, (deceased), and Shepherd. Three of his sons served in the war, where Jesse was killed. Mr and Mrs. Horner, were members of the United Brethren Church for twelve years, but there being no church of that denomination where they live, in Geneva township, they have united with the M. E. Church. Mr. Horner was originally a Democrat, but became a Republican on the organization of that party He has an excellent record as a man and citizen, is one of the solid men of the county, and well regarded by all his fellows. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp. pg 347)
W.C. Horner was born in Indiana, in 1844, and came to Franklin county with his parents when fourteen years old, receiving a common school education. He enlisted Aug. 13, 1862, in company H, 32d Iowa Infantry, and was in the following engagements: Red River Expedition, Nashville, Eastport, Miss., and Holly Springs. After he received his discharge he returned to Franklin county, where he was married Dec. 31, 1865, to Rhoda Boots, born in Indiana, March, 1845. They have eight children living — Martha E., Herbert Q., Ida May, Bertha R., William A., James W., Edith I. and Charles C. He is a republican in politics and has held local offices. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp. pg 347)
L. Horstman settled in Franklin county in 1870. His farm of ninety acres is located on section 18, of West Fork township, and is worth about $3,000. It is in a productive condition, and Mr. Horstman is by degrees making arrangements to engage in stock farming. He has thirteen head of cattle, twenty hogs and five horses. He was married Dec. 4, 1873, to Matilda Pogemiller, of Dane Co., Wis. They have four children — William, Sophia, Theodore and John. They have lost one child. Mr. Horstman was born July 25, 1849, and is a native of Prussia. He came to America in 1867 and settled in Dane Co., Wis., which was his home until he came to Franklin Co., Iowa. He is a democrat in political belief and action. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 585)
Senator E.A. Howland was a native of Rutland, Jefferson Co., N. Y., born Feb. 27, 1832. In the spring of 1855, he emigrated to Joliet, Ill., and one year later came to Iowa, locating at Fort Dodge, where he remained one month and went to Webster City, where he engaged in the livery business. In 1858, he returned to Fort Dodge and in company with C. P. Farr kept the St. Charles Hotel for a year. In 1859 he came to Franklin county, settled at Otisville and went to farming and dairying. He afterwards added a land agency to his business and was exceedingly well prospered as to this world's goods. For many years he was the member of the board of supervisors from Morgan township, and was chairman of that body for two or three years. In 1871, he was elected State senator and served his term with credit to himself. In 1873, he removed to Belmond, where he still lives. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 252)
W.H. Hoxie, agriculturalist and stock farmer, settled at Hampton in 1870, where he has since pursued his present vocation. He was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., Nov 3, 1831. In 1844 his parents came west to Lake Co., Ill., he accompanying them. He afterward established himself at Baraboo, Wis., removing, in 1854 to Grundy Co., Iowa. In 1855 he settled in Butler county, where he was occupied in farming. In 1863 he came first to Franklin county, and located in Ingham township, remaining there seven years previous to his final settlement at Hampton. He was married in 1859 to Elsie Babcock, a native of Illinois. They have ten children — Dwight, Frank, Edith, William, Arthur, Fred, Annie, George, Lua and Bess. D. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 431)
William Hoy has been a practicing attorney in Hampton since 1878. He was born Aug. 26, 1840, and when nine years of age, moved with his parents to eastern Wisconsin, where he grew to manhood and obtained a good common school education, which was supplemented by a five years course at Hamline University, at Red Wing, Minn. He then engaged as principal of the schools of Kasson, Minn., and afterwards at Newton, Iowa. He retained the latter position five years and then entered the law office of Hon. J. C. Cook, of Newton, afterwards member of Congress from that district. He was admitted to the bar in Jasper Co., Iowa, in 1876, and soon after transferred his interests to Hampton. Mr. Hoy has given his attention chiefly to commercial law and ranks high as an expert in that avenue of his profession. He is doing an immense business and has an extensive reputation as a commercial lawyer. In politics he is a republican, and is a member of the M. E. Church. In 1863, he was married to Miss M. C. Ferguson of New York. (Chapter 7, The Bar, pg. 187)
A. B. Hudson succeeded Mr. Pickering by election in October, 1869, and in 1871 was re-elected and served until January, 1874. Hudson was from Ohio, and settled at an early day on Mayne's creek in Reeve township. He remained in the county until about 1876, when he removed to Kansas, where he still lives. He was a man of good ability and made a popular officer. When the war broke out he en- listed and became captain before the close. (Chapter 12, Representation, pg 259)
Amos B. Hudson was born in Vermont, in 1829. He went to Wisconsin and settled in Dodge county, where he followed teaching, and on the outbreak of the rebellion, enlisted as a private in the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, and was promoted to sergeant, lieutenant and captain, and served till the close of the war. He is a self-made man, and has succeeded well. He came to Iowa in 1867, and took up his residence in Reeve township, engaging in teaching and farming. At the general election of 1868, he was elected sheriff of the county, which office he held several terms. He removed to Kansas in 1878, where he is now living. He married Laura Green, a native of Oswego, N. Y., born in 1832, by whom he had a family of six children. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the I.O.O.F. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 524)
T.E.B. Hudson stock farmer and agriculturist of West Fork, was born near Rockford, Winnebago Co., Ill., Sept. 19, 1842. His parents settled there the year of his birth and were pioneers. They were from Erie Co., N.Y. His father was a farmer and bred his son to the same calling. At twenty he made practical response to his country's call for help in her hour of peril, by enrolling in Company C, 74th Illinois Infantry, and he passed through three years of the severest service in the war. He was in the battles of Stone River, Murfreesboro, Winchester, Tullahoma, Mission Ridge and the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. At Adairsville he received a gun shot wound in the left arm, which permanently disabled his arm and placed him on the pension list. He was absent from his regiment four months, transferred mean-while to the command of General Thomas. After rejoining his company, he participated in the battles of Nashville and Franklin, Tenn., and received honorable discharge in June, 1865. He returned to Illinois and engaged in farming until he removed to Franklin Co., Iowa. His prospecting journey was made in 1865, and two years later he settled permanently at West Fork. He first purchased 160 acres of prairie land and ten acres of timber. His farm comprises at present 250 acres, which he holds at $30 per acre. He built one of the best barns in the township in 1879. It is 40x50 feet and cost $1,200. He is quite largely engaged in raising stock, and holds a herd of forty to sixty head of cattle and fifty hogs. His land is all under cultivation and very productive. Mr. Hudson was married Jan. 1, 1868, to Abigail Kellogg, whose parents became residents of Franklin county about the time Mr. Hudson settled hereto. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hudson — Edwin, Jessie, Carl and Ruth, are aged respectively fourteeen, thirteen, eleven and two years of age. Mr. Hudson has always taken the interest of a good citizen in his town's welfare. He is a republican in his political views and has held the position of town clerk several terms, also justice, assessor, school director and treasurer. He is at present secretary of the school board. Mrs. Hudson is a member of the M. E. Church. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., pg 573)
Dr. Humphrey. In 1879, the number of physicians of Hampton was increased by the arrival of Dr. Humphrey, who came from Cedarville, Ill. He was a graduate of the Pennsylvania State Medical College, at Philadelphia. Dr. Humphrey remained here until the summer of 1881, then returned to Cedarville, Ill., where he is now practicing. Dr. Humphrey was a large, fine looking man, but was too reserved to make many friends, although he was respected by everyone. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 201-202)
James Hunt, a resident on section 35, Reeve township, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1830, where his parents, John and Phoebe (Stark) Hunt, were born and died; the mother dying April 5, 1880, aged seventy-nine years; the father Aug. 12, 1882, aged eighty-two years. His school advantages were very limited, but by reading and observation, he has acquired a good practical education. He emigrated to Rochester, N.Y., in 1851, where he remained one year, then removed to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., but not being satisfied, he moved to LaFayette Co., Wis., making it his home until the spring of 1875, when he came to Franklin county, and bought a farm on section 5, Ross township, which he retained until 1883, when he sold out, and purchased his present home. He was married in 1858, in Wisconsin, to Caroline Redfearn, a native of Ohio, born in 1841. They have eleven children — Mary J., Elizabeth A., Lucy L., Sarah A., James W., Francis R., deceased Feb. 20, 1882, aged thirteen years and fifteen days; Erne C., Mattie E., deceased Sept. 10, 1873, aged sixteen months; Phoebe E., Hattie O. and Josie Dell. Mr. Hunt is a republican in politics, and has held the office of justice of the peace. He is also a member of the I.O.O.F. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 531-532)
J.E. Hunter, one of the settlers of 1860, was born in Addison Co., Vt., Jan. 10, 1824. In 1835, his parents removed to Essex Co., N.Y., where he grew to manhood. In 1843, he came west to Walworth Co., Wis., where he entered land and engaged in farming. In 1851, he crossed the Isthmus to California, where he was engaged in mining,and was quite successful. In 1853, he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in mercantile business, but like many others, was compelled to succumb during the financial crash of 1857. He once more sought his fortune in the gold field of California, and in 1860, came to Franklin county. Soon after his arrival, he bought the Hampton House, which he ran for ten years, since which time he has been engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1854, he married Adeline Wheeler. Their children are Frank E., Ida May, Fred and Hugh. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., pg 480-481)
Dr. J.S. Hurd practiced here [Hampton] for many years. He is still a resident of Chapin, this county. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 199)
James H. Hutchins, M.D., came to Hampton, Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1873, and has since devoted his time to the practice of medicine in this vicinity. He is senior member of the firm of Hutchins & Funk, in the drug business, but gives his entire time to his practice. He was born Jan. 10, 1845, at Kendall, Niagara Co., N.Y., and in August of the same year his parents, Osmond B. and Lydia (Davis) Huchins, came west and settled at Rockford, Ill. At the age of fifteen he entered the Rock River Seminary, at Mount Morris, Ill., where he spent three years in study, after which he engaged two vears in teaching, and when he was twenty years of age began reading medicine in the office of B. G. Pierce, M.D., at Warren, Ill. Here he spent two years, and then entered Rush Medical College, where he graduated, Feb. 1, 1871. He practiced a few months at Riverside, Wis., then a year and a half at Apple River, Ill., after which he located at Hampton, in 1873. The same year he graduated he was appointed United States Examining Surgeon but resigned the same, in consequence of his removal to this State, and in 1876 he was re-appointed to the same position, which he still holds. He is now coroner of this county, and has been secretary of the Franklin County Medical Society. In June, 1864, he enlisted as a non-commissioned officer, Company B, 142d Illinois Volunteer Infantry and was mustered out of the service with his regiment in the fall of the same year, at Camp Fry, Chicago, Ill. In 1880, Dr. Hutchins went to New York for the purpose of more thoroughly preparing himself for his professional work. He took special instruction under Professor Alfred L. Loomis, at Bellevue Hospital, also at the Woman's Hospital, under T. Adis Emmet, A. M., M. D., and received a thorough course of instruction from Professor Montrose A. Pallen, at the University Medical College. He also attended the general course of lectures at the medical department of the University of the city of New York, graduating there in March, 1881. Dr. Hutchins is a skillful and successful physician. He is in love with his profession and is establishing an extensive practice which is well deserved, as his medical knowledge has been of the highest order. In February 1871, he was married to Celesta O. Frank. They have one daughter — Ione C, now ten years of age. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 200-201)
G.C. Hyndman, in 1872, came to Franklin county, and located on section 4, Reeve township, where he now has a good farm. He was born in Canada in 1838. His parents were natives of Ireland. He remained in Canada until nineteen years of age, when he removed to Illinois, remaining for a time in each of the counties of Ogle, Stephenson and Boone. He then moved to Iowa. He was married at Freeport, Ill., June 15, 1865, to Carrie A. Shout, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1848. Her parents were also natives of Pennsylvania. They have four children — Dixon G., Aurie S., Clyde J. and John A. Mrs. Hyndman is of German descent. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 530)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was created on June 17, 2014 and updated November 27, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.