1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

F

~*~*~

F. L. Faatz, shoe dealer, has been engaged in his present calling at Hampton since 1877, establishing a boot and shoe store in Dow's block. He is still in trade, now occupying the Jeffers' building. He was born, Sept. 22, 1839, in Wayne Co., Penn. His father died while he was a youth, and at the age of eighteen, in company with his mother, he removed to Blue Earth Co., Minn., where he engaged in teaching. He enlisted in 1862, in company E, 9th Minnesota Infantry, and was discharged June 11, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn., at the close of the war. He returned to Minnesota and engaged in the wagon trade at Mankato, and prosecuted that business there three years. He went to Kansas in 1872 and was soon after elected superintendent of schools of Henry county, which position he held four years. He came to Iowa in 1876 and engaged one year at Eldora, in the same business which he is now pursuing at Hampton. He was married in 1865 to Elizabeth Bray, a native of England. They have three children. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 401)
John Fahey, a prominent citizen of Osceola, settled in 1859. He is the son of Francis and Catherine (Ryan) Fahey, and was born in Ireland May 4, 1814. He came to America in 1851, and settled in Marion Co., Ohio, remaining there nine years, and then came to Iowa in the spring of 1854, entering land in Hardin county. Returning to Ohio for his family he removed to his present home in Franklin county. He was married in Marion Co., Ohio, to Bridget Fahey, who is also a native of Ireland, in March, 1852. They are both members of the Catholic Church. They have six children — Thomas, Kate, Mary, Julia, John and Ella. Mr. Fahey is regarded as an excellent citizen, and was a member of the board of supervisors six years, also assessor, and is the present town trustee and road supervisor. His two eldest children are married. Kate was married to John Fitzgerald, who lives in the township in the vicinity of Ackley. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 503)
William Farnsworth was born in New Jersey in 1802. His father, Edmond Farnsworth, was a farmer in Chester county, where the family resided until William was eighteen years old and then removed to Cattaraugus Co., N. Y. From there William removed to Illinois and was among the first settlers of Du Page county. In 1868 he removed to Owatonna, Minn., and in 1872 came to Franklin county. He has 135 acres of land on section 6, West Fork, which is valued at $25 per acre. Mr. Farnsworth was married to Angeline King in 1826. She died in Illinois, leaving eight sons and three daughters. In 1863 Mr. Farnsworth married Amanda Hewlon, of Illinois. Mr. Farnsworth had four sons in the Union Army during the civil war. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., page 585-586)
Henry Fessler, a prominent politician of Franklin county, located here in 1876. He was born in Berks Co., Penn., April 9, 1841. He is the youngest of seven children. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Hirschy) Fessler, died, respectively, in 1848 and 1867. Mr. Fessler obtained his education in the common schools of the keystone State, and at eighteen years of age went to Ogle Co., Ill., where he was a resident twelve years. The enthusiasm of patriotism, awakened by the outbreak of the rebellion, swept him along with its resistless tide, and, in 1861, he enlisted in the 55th Illinois. At the end of the war he returned to Illinois, and there remained until the date of his coming to Iowa, in 1871. He made a brief stay in Hardin county, and passed one year in Osceola, Franklin county. His residence in Grant township covers a period of seven years. He was married Nov. 16, 1865, to Susan Miller, born in the keystone State. Following is the record of their children — William, born Sept. 17, 1866; John F., July 18, 1869; Adelaide, June 20, 1872; Mary, Dec. 24, 1873. Guy died Aug. 21, 1868; Catharine, Aug. 31, 1871; Matilda, April 29, 1878 The family are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Fessler is of the greenback persuasion in politics. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 371)

One of Mr. Fessler's little girls was burned to death while playing near a burning straw pile, about 1878. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., Items of Interest, page 373)
Christopher Fink has been a farmer, on section 21, of Mott township, since 1871, and now owns 160 acres. He is a native of Germany, born in Hanover, Nov. 17, 1839. He came to America in 1865, and located in Cook Co., Ill., where he engaged as a farmer, and railroad laborer, until he came to Franklin county. He was married in 1868 to Elizabeth Heimricks, a German by birth. They have four children — William, Emma, Clara and Joseph. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 489)
H. R. Floyd, M. D., came to Iowa in 1876, and in October, 1881, located at Sheffield, Franklin county, where he still remains enjoying an increasing and lucrative practice. He was born in Canada in 1839, and at the age of thirteen ran away from home and went to New York, thence sailed to England and Germany as a cabin boy in the steamship Washington; came back to New York, but soon returned to the sea. During the voyage he was shipwrecked, and after being seven days in an open boat on the ocean without food, was picked up in an insensible condition and brought back to New York. In Newark N. Y. he worked at carriage blacksmithing about three years and also attended a night school. After this he went to Savannah, Ga. and from there sailed to England and entered the English army. He participated in the capture of Sebastopol, and was afterward stationed in Gibraltar for four years, during which time he accompanied a party of officers to Africa as an interpreter, he being a good Spanish linquist. While they were observing the conduct of the war between Spain and Morocco he was sergeant in command of "Europa Point Guard," at Gibraltar, where the confederate steamer, Sumpter, under Capt. Semmes, captured three United States vessels in the straits, bonding two and burning one. He received orders from Gov. Sir William Codrington: "If that vessel" (the Sumpter) "does not show her colors on entering the bay, sink her without warning." He at once prepared to do so by bringing three sixty-eight pounder Armstrong guns to bear on her. But before the guns opened on her she showed her colors and thus was saved from her impending ruin. Soon afterwards the United States gunboat Tuscorora arrived and Capt. Semmes was obliged to sell the Sumpter and leave her there. Dr. Floyd was for three years hospital sergeant and dispenser of medicine, and afterwards, in 1862, he procured a discharge and returned to America, (his parents having died during his absence), and in 1864, joined the New York Mounted Rifles, and was engaged in and around Petersburg and Richmond, and finally at Appomatox where Lee surrendered. His regiment was sent as provost guard to Maysville, Buckingham Co., Va., where he organized and taught the first freedmen's school in the south, without any remuneration. In 1865, he was mustered out and returned to Canada where he attended the Toronto Military school and obtained a certificate of fitness to command. He then joined the volunteers to resist Fenian invasion. After this wave of danger passed over, he returned to the United States, went to Baltimore Md., and was florist and botanist for a large firm, attended part of a term in Maryland University, went with Prof. Agassiz and party to Brazil, South America, to collect natural curiosities, for six months, and remained there in the practice of medicine three years, at which time he returned to America and was employed as landscape gardner, on Highland Park, Baltimore. He came to Iowa in 1876, and was married to Agnes Danskin, of Marengo, Dec. 25, 1876. He then attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, where he graduated and then practiced medicine in Solon and Tiffin in this State until he came to Sheffield. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 204)
George J. Ford, of Ford & Gear, was born in Jo Daviess Co., Ill., Aug. 9, 1855. His parents, Richard and Eliza (Richards) Ford, were natives of Cornwall, England, and were among the early settlers of Jo Daviess Co., Ill. George remained at home on the farm until the age of twenty-two, when he struck out in life for himself. In February, 1879, he went to Leadville, Col., remaining there seven months. He was engaged as waiter in a boarding house for three weeks, when he took full charge of the house, until the 1st of May, and then engaged in the charcoal business with a large contractor, as foreman. In August he was taken sick and returned to Illinois, and in 1880 came to Iowa for his health. In February, 1881, he engaged in the livery business with Mr. Gear, which business he has since continued with success. Mr. Ford married Eliza V. Gear, June 9, 1881, at Sheffield. They have one daughter, Millie, born May 17, 1883. Mr. Ford is a member of the Sheffield Lodge of Odd Fellows. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 334)
Thomas Fox is a resident on section 9. His farm consists of 113 acres in a good state of cultivation. He was born near London, England, March 21, 1851, and grew to manhood in Newton. His education was limited having to labor to maintain himself. When eighteen he emigrated to the United States, stopping in La Fayette Co., Wis., seven years, when he came to Franklin county, and rented land in Reeve township for a time, when he bought a farm on section 20, where he lived three years, then sold and purchased his present home. He was married Jan. 17, 1876, to Mary Muxlow, a native of La Fayette Co.,Wis., born April 21 1856. They have two children — George M., born Nov. 7, 1876, and William H., born Aug. 28, 1879. Mr. Fox is a republican in politics, and has held offices of trust. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 530-531)
J.W. Fraser — In 1870, among those who came to Lee township to effect permanent settlement, was J. W. Fraser. He is still living on section 1. His occupation is farming. He was born in York, Livingston Co., N. Y., March 15, 1814. He is the fifth son of William and Jeanette (Davidson) Fraser, who were the parents of eight children, and were natives of Inverness, Scotland, emigrating to the northern part of New York in 1800, where the father died. The family then moved to Waukesha Co., Wis., where the mother died. He was educated in the common schools, and was married in 1845 to Jane Mclntyre, born in New York State, in 1819. Her father was a native of Scotland and her mother of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Fraser are the parents of six children — James K., Mary J., John, Isabelle, Joseph and Eleanor. He is a democrat and has held local offices. (Chapter 24, Lee twp., page 459)
James K. Frazer settled in Maysville, Franklin Co., in 1870, living there one year. Since that time he has been a resident of Morgan township. He is a native of York, Livingston Co., N. Y., born Nov. 8, 1845. He removed with his parents when six months of age to Waukesha Co., Wis. Here he spent his younger days in the common school and on the farm until he came to this county. On the 27th of July, 1867, he was wedded to Alice M. Stickney, a native of Waukesha Co , Wis., born August 28, 1844. Her father is a native of New Hampshire and her mother of Vermont, both now living in Waukesha Co., Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Frazer are the parents of four children — Nettie A., Viola E., Elva B. and Allen J. The parents both belong to the I. O. G. T. lodge*. Mr. Frazer is a republican in politics, and has filled many local offices. In his experience in this country he has gone across the wild prairies when he had to trust to his faithful team to take him through the blinding snow storms to his family, when it blew so hard that he could not possibly see the road ahead of his horses. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., page 472) *I.O.G.T. = International Order of Good Templar lodge
Johann Fredericks, one of the settlers of 1878, is the seventh of ten children born to Heinrich F. and Dorothea (Fischer) Fredericks, in Hanover, Germany. He was born the 13th of December, 1840. At the age of fourteen he came to America with his parents, who first made their home in Du Page Co., Ill. In 1861 Johann enlisted in the 105th Illinois Infantry. He was in thirteen battles, served his country three years and was honorably discharged. He then returned to Du Page county and remained there until he came to Franklin county in 1878. He was married to Christina Drogemuller, Nov. 22, 1872, a native of Hanover, Germany. They have five children — Emma, Herrmann, Martha, Anna and Wilhelm. They are members of the Lutheran Church. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., page 464)
E. K. Frost was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., Dec. 19, 1811. He is a son of Ansil Frost, a native of Connecticut, and of Laura (Kimball) Frost, a native of New York. Ten years after his birth his parents moved to Ontario Co., N. Y., where he grew to manhood. His educational advantages were very limited, but he early determined to have an education, and commenced a systematic course of study at home. During those years of boyhood he studied surveying, and at the age of twenty-one he had entirely mastered the subject. He began teaching at nineteen, and followed this for a number of years, and was a successful teacher. In 1844, after meeting with misfortunes, he determined to come west, and soon after settled in Walworth Co., Wis., arriving there with only three dollars and seventy-five cents. During the first five years he was engaged in farming, often undergoing many hardships. At the end of that time he was elected clerk of the county board, and during his stay in that county he was constantly engaged in the county politics. He was originally a democrat, but on its organization he joined ihe republican party, being the first in his county to advocate its principles. While in Wisconsin he always took a great interest in educational affairs, and succeeded in 1850 after a hard fight of two years, in getting a graded school at Elkhorn, the first one west of Lake Michigan. In 1871, he came to Franklin county, and settled in Ross township, where he has ever since resided. He is one of the most successful small fruitgrowers of the county. In 1838 he married Fanny Tubbs, a native of Oneida Co., N. Y. They have had three children — Charles, Francis M., who enlisted in company A, 10th Wisconsin Infantry, in 1861, and died at Bowling Green, Ky., April 6, 1862, and Viola, wife of G. W. Bass, of Kansas City, Mo. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., page 546)
Dr. J. Z. E. Funk came to Hampton direct from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1880, and attended to the business of Dr. J. H. Hutchins for nine months while the latter gentleman was in New York city. From here he went to Spirit Lake, Iowa, where he is now practicing. Dr. Funk was a man of good ability and thoroughly understood his profession. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 202)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was updated on August 25, 2013
2013 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.