From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883
Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall
|E. Caldwell was born in New Hampshire, Feb. 14, 1820. When he was but two years old, his parents moved to the State of New York. His father was by trade a blacksmith, and of him he learned his trade. He remained at home until twenty-two years of age, when he went to work for himself, at Ogdensburg, after which he worked at different places until 1848, when he removed to Elkhorn, Wis., where he worked at his trade a year. In 1858 he came to Maysville, Franklin county, and opened a blacksmith shop. He followed this occupation until Aug. 14, 1862, when he enlisted in company H, 32nd Iowa, serving until July 22, 1863, when he was discharged at Columbus, Ky., by reason of injuries received in the service, from the effects of which he now draws a pension. After his discharge he came back to Franklin county and again followed his trade for a time and then went to Illinois, afterward to Wright Co , Iowa. He was married in September, 1845, to Mary A. Mitchell, a native of New York, by whom he had three children Jane, William and Sarah. His wife died in February, 1855, and he was again married, the following year, to Malinda F. Brace, who was born in Pennsylvania, in 1820. In politics Mr. Caldwell is a staunch republican. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp.; pg 519)|
|Charles L. Canfield was born in Trumbull Co., Ohio, Sept. 8, 1832, and grew to manhood on the farm, receiving a common school education. When twenty-one years of age his parents moved to La Fayette Co., Wis., and engaged in farming. He was married March 25, 1855, to Harriet Hurlbert, a native of Lamoille Co., Vt, born Feb. 9, 1833. In 1878 they came to Franklin county, settling in Geneva township, where he has since resided. He engaged in farming until 1881, when he purchased the Geneva hotel. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. society. Mr. and Mrs. Canfield are members of the Freewill Baptist Church, and are parents of four children Ella L., Eva S., Hattie A. and Charles W. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp.; pg 360)|
|Mosley Canfield. The first physician to locate in Sheffield was Dr. Mosley Canfield, who came from Marshalltown in 1873-4. Previous to his coming here, he had been engaged in the dry goods business, but on coming to Sheffield gave his whole attention to the practice of his profession, and remained until his death which occurred in July, 1880. He belonged to the homeopathic school, and thoroughly understood his profession. He was a man of strong republican principles, well read and highly respected. He had a large practice. His widow now lives in Marshall county, this State. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession; pg 204)|
|Andrew J. Cannam,
proprietor of the Beed House, is the son of William and
Priscilla (Thompson) Cannam, and was born in Ohio, Sept.
19, 1832. In 1837, his parents emigrated to LaFayette,
Ind., where he grew to manhood and acquired his education
and learned the trade of carpenter. In 1856, he removed
to Hampton, Franklin county, where he followed his trade
eight years. He assisted in building the first hotel
built in Hampton. He embarked in the hotel business, in
1864, which he has since engaged in and in which he is
eminently successful, not only financially, but is known
far and near as one of the most popular hotel proprietors
The first hotel in Hampton was built for John E. Boyles, by A. J. Cannam and James Hogan, in the spring of 1857. In April, 1857, it was opened by John E. Boyles. Those who ran the house after Boyles, were James A. Guthrie, A.J. Cannam, Morticai Dodge, J. E. Hunter, Abner Adams, J. E. Hunter, A. J. Cannam and John Collony. The latter was running it when it was destroyed by fire in 1876. It stood on the lot near the alley, where the Beed house now stands. The second hotel in Hampton was opened in what was known as the Barger building. A. J. Cannam was the first landlord. The original building, of that which goes to make up the Pheonix Hotel of to day, was erected by Chauncy Gillett, in 1858, who occupied it for a number of years. Shortly after the close of the war E. S. Stiles opened up the building as a holel. Many additions have been made to the original building, and it is now a pleasant, cozy tavern, run in a satisfactory manner by T. L. Boylan.
The Cannam House was opened Aug. 16, 1875. It was
built by A. J. Cannam at a cost of $11,272 and contained
thirty-one sleeping rooms. It was run by A. J. Cannam
until 1879, when he sold it; but in 1881 again purchased
it and operated it until May, 1883, when J. H. Rule
became proprietor. The Beed House, in Beed's block, which
was erected in 1880, at a cost of $55,000, was opened by
D. P. Simpson in J880. He was succeeded by Frank L.
Taylor, who operated it until May 1, 1883, when A. J.
Cannam leased the property and now does a large business,
both local and transient. This hotel is three stories in
height, built of brick, finished and furnished in the
best modern style. It is one of the best houses in
northern Iowa, and has become a popular place of resort
for commercial men and pleasure seekers.
From the Franklin Record, March 28, 1859: CANNAM HOUSE. The subscriber invites public attention to this establishment, which he has lately re-opened and refitted, and intends to keep as nearly as possible "up to the handle." He will use his best endeavors to make his house a pleasant spot by the wayside, and solicits the patronage of all "hungry, starved souls," promising them that they shall have the best that can be procured in this region. He professes to be a knight of the ribbons, and accordingly takes the best nossible care of the "nags" having the largest and best stable in Franklin county, and an ostler who knows how to "do the thing up brown." A. J. Cannam, Proprietor. Hampton, Franklin Co., Iowa. (Chapter 14, The Press; pg 270-271)
|L. B. Carhart, in the spring of 1873, came to Hampton, Iowa, and in company with T. B. Taylor, started a book and music store. He purchased Mr. Taylor's interest the following spring and continued the business alone till the fall of 1877, when he sold out and went to Grinnell, Iowa, where he engaged with his father and brother in the lumber business for two years. In the fall of 1879, he sold his interests at Grinnell and moved to Sheffield. Iowa, where, in company with T. B. Taylor and W. D. Evans, of Hampton, he started the Sheffield bank, of which he is the cashier and business manager. Mr. Carhart is one of the trustees,and also treasurer of the M. E. Church, of which he is a member. In politics he is a strong republican and a thorough temperance man. He was born Jan. 1, 1850, in Onondaga Co., N. Y. With his parents, John and Angelina Carhart, he came to Iowa and settled near Davenport, in 1855. His boyhood days were spent on the farm, where he was not a stranger to hard labor. In 1868, he entered Cornell College, Iowa, at Mt. Vernon, and graduated in June, 1872. He was married in August of the same year to Addie M. Wright, and soon after came to Eldora, Iowa, where he engaged in teaching, being principal of the graded schools of that place. Here he taught for two terms, and in the spring of 1873, came to Hampton. Mr. and Mrs. Carhart are the parents of four children Edward, Herman, Charles and Harry. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp.; pg 337)|
|A. B. Carter, the popular barber at Sheffield, came here in 1878. He was born in Floyd Co., Iowa, in 1853, and was the first child born in that county, where his parents settled in 1852. There he grew up, receiving a common school education, and remained on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age, when he commenced to learn the barber's trade at Nashua, Iowa, following it there and other places until he came here. When he came here he built a small shop, and later a larger one, and by strict attention to business has secured and holds a very lucrative custom. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, was one of the charter members, gave much assistance in starting the order here, and has passed all the chairs. He was married in 1876 to Sophronia Baumgardner. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp.; pg 338)|
|A. R. Carter, formerly book and music dealer, came to Hampton in 1874, and established this business in March, 1883. He first came to Franklin county in 1862, remaining only one year. He was born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., March 13, 1841. His parents, S. H. and Sarah (Randall) Carter, settled in Ashtabula Co., Ohio, in 1843. There Mr. Carter reached his majority, obtaining a good education and afterward engaging in teaching at Sebewaing, Huron Co., Mich. He was married in 1862, to Rozetta K. Philbrick. After a year spent in Franklin county, he went to Watrousville, Mich , where he was engaged in mercantile transactions until 1874, the year of his second and permanent removal to this county. Mr. and Mrs. Carter had three children Frank, Maud and Lou. The mother died Dec, 2, 1872. Mr. Carter was married again in August, 1878, to Martha A. Bonhan; they have one child Abram, born May 29, 1880. (Chapter 22, Hampton City & Washington twp.; pg 402)|
|Oscar A. Chambers came to the township in 1866. He was born near Fremont, Sandusky Co., Ohio, Oct. 25, 1845. He accompanied his father, B S. Chambers, to Bureau Co., Ill., and subsequently went to Kansas. They started to drive from there, Dec. 18, 1865, and arrived in Polk Co., Iowa, January 1. Their trip was one of considerable hardship and disaster. In crossing an icy hill, one of the horses fell and slipped backward down the hill, and it became necessary to unload the wagon and carry the articles over by hand. The same thing happened the next day, Mr. Chambers being dragged down the hill under the wagon, nearly losing his life. He came to Franklin county in 1866, and has lived in Ingham township ever since, excepting three years, in which he was operating as a merchant at Dumont. He disposed of his business there in October, 1881, and has since lived on the farm. In 1882, he made a trip to the Red river country, but was not pleased with the outlook. Mr. Chambers was married June 9, 1870, to Cinderella Cecilia Dearmoun, of Butler county. Her father is one of the oldest settlers in this part of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers have had four children. Those living are Arthur E., Nellie M. and Hattie I. The parents belong to the M. E. Church. Mr. Chambers has officiated in several local offices. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp. pg 438)|
|N. B. Chapman came to Hampton in 1859 from Rockford, Floyd county, this State, where he had made his home for three or four years. He was originally from Peekskill, N. Y., where he had studied law and was admitted to the bar. He entered upon the practice of his profession here, and soon had the best law practice of any attorney in the county. In 1861, he was elected county superintendent of schools, and was re-elected in 1865. Mr. Chapman was a genial, open hearted gentleman and had many friends in the county. He removed to Grinnell, Iowa, in 1870, from there went to Iowa City, and from the latter place removed to Atlantic, Cass county, where he and his son opened a law office, and now enjoy a good practice. (Chapter 7, The Bar; pg 180)|
|Dr. Chappell. In 1874, the medical profession at Hampton was re-inforced by the arrival of Dr. Chappell,a physician of the homeopathic school. He remained about five or six months, then went to Oregon, Ill. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 201)|
|Daniel D. Chase
was born in Canajoharie, N. Y., July 4, 1830. Until he
attained the age of seventeen he remained at the old
homestead, attending the district school in the winter
season, and laboring like other lads in rural communities
on the farm during the spring, summer and autumn. The
four ensuing years he passed at the Ames Academy and the
Cazenovia Seminary, where he acquired a good academic
education, and taught in the meantime to procure the
necessary funds to pursue his studies. After he ceased
attending the seminary, he became principal of the public
schools at Cazenovia, at the same time commencing the
study of law. He was afterwards called to the charge of
Woodstock Academy, successfully discharging the duties of
a teacher while pursuing his legal studies.
He was admitted to the bar of the State of New York at the general term of the Supreme Court, in Saratoga county, Jan. 1, 1856, and entered at once upon the practice of his profession. In August, 1858, Mr. Chase removed to Iowa, settling at Webster City, Hamilton county. He came here with no capital save that which was stored up in his brain, and an earnest determination to deserve success. Upon his arrival in the little frontier town which he had selected as his home, and which then contained scarcely 400 people, and the county not over 1,600, he found the small legal practice in the hands of two older lawyers, who settled there some time previously. It was many months before he secured his first retainer a discouraging fact to a man of limited means, when the times were hard, and growing worse with every succeeding week. But he patiently bided his time, and finally the temperance people were forced to employ him in the prosecution of Sunday violations of the liquor law ; both of his competitors, fortunately for him, being engaged on the other side. The fight was a prolonged and bitter one, and it served to bring prominently to the notice of the people the fine legal ability and great force of character of the hitherto reserved and rather reticent and neglected young lawyer. This rough and tumble contest completely "westernized" him, and from this time forward he was a favored attorney.
In the following winter he visited a number of the counties in the eleventh judicial district, becoming acquainted and securing quite an addition to his slender, legal practice. In a short time he was accorded a leading position in his profession in northwestern Iowa. Noted for his purity of character, dealing fairly with his clients, and never encouraging litigation, except in cases where its necessity and justice rendered it imperative thus making him always the safest of counselors he rapidly won his way to a high place in the popular estimation. In the autumn of 1859, his name was prominently mentioned in connection with the position of county judge, every delegate to the convention favoring his nomination, but he declined the proffered honor. In the ensuing year at the republican judicial convention, he was unanimously tendered the nomination for member of the board of education, to which he was chosen in October following by a large majority. Before his term of service expired he was elected district attorney. In 1865, a vacancy having occurred in the office of district judge, he was appointed to fill the vacancy by Governor Stone. He was twice nominated by acclamation and twice elected to this distinguished position, and, at the close of nine years continuous service on the bench, declined a third nomination, and retired to private life. Judge Chase wus always held in the highest esteem by both the bar and the people.
On his retirement from the bench, the bar of Hardin county passed a most complimentary resolution, declaring that "by his ability, efficiency and integrity in the discharge of every official duty, Judge Chase has won, and is worthy of, not only the commendation and plaudits of the bar, but of the entire people who have received the benefits of his labor." The bar of the entire district, on the last day of his court, united in presenting him with a magnificent gold watch and chain, to purchase which they contributed the sum of $500. Judge Chase, in his early days, was a whig, but has acted with the republican party since its organization. He was a delegate-at-large to the national republican convention which nominated President Lincoln for his second term. (Chapter 6, The Courts; pg 168-169)
|C. A. Church came to Franklin county in 1877, and settled in Richland township. He was born in Warren Co., Penn , March 16, 1846, and is a son of D. W. and Hannah M. ( Courson ) Church, both natives of that State. In 1864 his parents came west to Clayton Co., Iowa, where they remained until 1883, and are now living in Dakota. He married, Dec. 15, 1868, Miranda Coon, a native of Illinois. Their children are Ella N., Anna B., Carrie M., William G., Charles W. and Lillie Belle. (Chapter 32, Richland twp.; pg 563)|
|David Church located in the township in the fall of 1855 and hired a house. In the spring of 1856, he built and moved his family there. He settled on section 9, and in 1883 owned several hundred acres of land in this county. David Church was born in Erie, Penn., Oct., 20, 1827, and is a son of David and Margaret (Clark) Church. He came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1855 and bought a claim in Geneva township. In 1856, he brought his family, commenced improvements and farmed until 1881. He was one of the board of county supervisors for six years, was one of the organizers of the Citizen's Bank of Hampton, and always a director of the same. He is an active politician and has been a life long democrat. He received a limited education in his native State. In 1854, he came west and located in Winnebago Co., Ill. In 1852, he and Harriet C. Shattuck, of Pennsylvania, were married and have two children Walter, residing in Washington township, and George. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 346)|
|David Austin Church came with his parents to Clayton Co., Iowa, in 1864. He was born in Warren Co., Penn., Dec. 14, 1855. His parents were D. W. and Hannah (Courson) Church. D. A. Church was brought up on a farm and received a good education. In 1879 he came to Richland township and now owns 160 acres of good land. He was married in 1881 to Alpha Oathout, the daughter of S.H. and Eliza (Abbott) Oathout, of Madison Co., N. Y. They have two children David Austin and William Hart. (Chapter 32, Richland twp.; pg 563-564)|
|Walter A. Church came with his parents, David and Harriet C. (Shattuck) Church, in 1856, to Franklin Co., Iowa. He was born March 23, 1853, in Erie Co., Penn. He attended the log school house; the Albion Seminary; read law with W. F. Harriman; afterwards took a law course at Iowa City and was admitted, March, 1880, in Franklin county, before Judge Bradley. He practiced two years in Hampton, and then engaged in farming and stock raising, which he still continues. In politics he is a republican. In October, 1880, he married Miss L.E. Norton. They have one child. (Chapter 7, The Bar; pg 187)|
|R. J. Churchouse, proprietor of Sheffield furniture store, was born in England, in 1845. In his childhood he came to America with his parents and settled in Waukesha Co., Wis., remaining two years, when his mother died. He and his father then returned to England, but after a lapse of three years returned to the United States and were two years in York State, from thence again to Wisconsin. He was brought up on a farm, but received a liberal education. He enlisted, in 1861, in the 8th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, company D, as a private, but two years served as a non-commissioned officer, and was in many of the heavy battles of the war, having been with Grant and Sherman four years. At the close of the war he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in lumbering and farming until 1872, when he came to Iowa and located in Cerro Gordo county for ten years, where he followed farming. In the spring of 1882, he came to Sheffield, Franklin county, building a store and engaging in the furniture business, which he has since successfully followed. He was married, in 1872, to Phebe Thayer, and they have two children George and Harvey. They are members of the M. E. Church, and he is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp.; pg 333-334)|
|N. B. Claypool is located on 320 acres of good land in Ingham township, all of which he acquired by purchase and which is under the best improvements. His first investment in land in Franklin county was the purchase of 120 acres in 1873. His house is surrounded by a thrifty grove. In 1879, he commenced raising stock, for which his farm is particularly adapted. He started with ten head of cattle and now has six times that number. In 1882 he built a barn 24x28 feet in dimensions. Mr Claypool is a republican and has held the office of township trustee for seven years. He has also been a member of the school board. He was born in JoDaviess Co., Ill., May 14, 1836. His parents, Milton and Rosanna (Higgins) Claypool, removed to Illinois from Kentucky and were among the pioneers of JoDaviess county. Mr. Claypool remained on the farm until he was nineteen years of age. He was married July 4, 1854, to Annette Townsend and for the thirteen ensuing years rented farms. He then bought 200 acres of land. In 1865, Mr Claypool enlisted in company K, 96th Illinois Infantry and served eleven months. He was discharged at San Antonio, Texas, and returned to Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Claypool have eight children Ernest E., Rosanna, Edward B., George M., Mintie A., Elfie, N. B. Jr. and Phil H.(Chapter 23, Ingham twp. page 445)|
|N. Clemmens is of German descent, born in Washington Co., Penn., in 1833. There he grew to manhood, and was married in 1858 to Susan Whiteman, born in 1832. In 1862 they came to Franklin county, and now live on section 2 in Geneva township. His farm consists of 240 acres, valued at $20 per acre. They have had seven children, six of whom are now living Sarah E., Francis K., Andrew, James, William, George W. (deceased) and Allison. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp.; pg 353-354)|
|G. G. Clemmer, cashier of the Citizens' Bank, came to Franklin county in 1807, and soon after commenced the duties of principal of the schools at Hampton. In 1872, he was appointed superintendent of schools to fill a vacancy. He was elected to the position of superintendent the ensuing year, and remained in that position till September, 1875, at which time he resigned and was elected cashier of the Citizens' Bank, a situation he has since retained. He was married in 1865 to Mary E. West. Their four children are John W., Christina G., Gideon C. and Charles Clyde. Mr. and Mrs. Clemmer are members of the Baptist Church. (Chapter 22, Hampton City & Washington twp.; pg 422)|
|Charles L. Clock came to Franklin
county immediately after the close of the war in 1865. He
located on a farm in Reeve township, and was engaged in
agricultural pursuits until 1875, when he began to
operate in grain and continued that business two years.
He was elected county auditor in 1877, and re-elected in
1879. In 1881, he was elected to his present position. In
politics he is a radical republican. He has been a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1872, and during
that time has been an active and zealous laborer in
religious matters. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and has taken the degree of the Royal Arch
Chapter. Mr. Clock was married Jan. 1, 1867, to Rebecca
Haskell. They have three children Fred H., Harry
L. and Charles H.
Mr. Clock is a son of Ebenezer and Lucinda (Jarvis) Clock. His father died in 1845, and, in 1852, his mother removed to Illinois, and settled in Jo Daviess county. 1861, Mr. Clock enlisted in company E, 15th Illinois Infantry, and served as a private two years, when he became forage master, and acted in that capacity until the close of the war in 1865. (Chapter 12, Representation; pg 256)
|Eugene Clock, the son of Alonzo and Rose Ann (Lynch) Clock, and the oldest of seven children, was born at Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., Aug. 12, 1854. Here he spent his childhood, received a common school education, and at the age of twenty, one came to Iowa, living in different parts of the State until he settled permanently at Larimer, Marion township, Franklin county. He is at present interested in the firm of Clock & Clock, consisting of H. A. Clock, C. L. Clock and Eugene Clock. (Chapter 25, Marion, twp.; pg 465)|
|H. A. Clock, of the firm of Clock & Clock, general merchants, grain buyers and lumber dealers, was born in Lake Co., Ohio, in 1844. When eight years of age, his parents moved to Illinois, and settled in Jo Daviess county, where he grew to manhood and acquired a good business education. He came to Iowa to visit a brother who had been here some time previous, and enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, participating in many of the bloody battles of the rebellion, but came out without a scratch. At the close of the war he went to the mountains, where he engaged in mining and prospecting until 1870, when he returned to Iowa, and accepted a clerkship in his brother's store, in Geneva, where he remained eleven years, when he came to Latimer, and in company with his brother and nephew, under the firm name of Clock & Clock, are prosecuting a business which is proving most prosperous. He was married in 1872, to Miss S. M. Reeve, a daughter of Judge Reeve. (Chapter 25, Marion twp.; pg 464-465)|
|H. C. Clock, postmaster of Geneva and an old resident of Franklin county, and the first to engage in the mercantile business at Geneva, was born in Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, July 24, 1839. He is the son of Ebenezer and Lucinda (Jarvis) Clock, natives of Islip, L. I., who were of English extraction. They were married in the year 1824, and emigrated in 1830 to Lake Co., Ohio, where the father died in 1841, at the age of forty- one, the mother dying in 1869, aged sixty- three. They were the parents of nine children, seven boys and two girls ; the subject of this sketch being the sixth. H. C. Clock, in 1853, removed to Jo Daviess Co., Ill , and in 1 859 came to Maysville, Franklin county, and engaged in the mercantile business with his brother; he followed the same until June 24, 1861, when he entered the State service, and July 17, the same year, was mustered into company C, 6th Infantry, Iowa Volunteers, of which he was made 1st sergeant, which position he held until May, 1862, when he was promoted to 2d lieutenant, then 1st lieutenant, and in 1864 to captain, which position he held until his final discharge, Feb. 25, 1865. On receiving his discharge, he returned to Maysville and again entered the mercantile business with his brother, which he followed until the fall of 1871. Then he removed to Geneva and engaged in the same business which he still follows, and is the present postmaster. He is a member of the Odd Fellow and Masonic fraternities. He was married May 17, 1865, to Emily A. Roberts, born in 1839 at Spartansburg, Crawford Co., Penn., by whom he has had eight children, all of whom are still living except one. He is a republican in politics. Captain Clock took part in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, siege of Corinth, charge at Jackson, Miss., Mission Ridge, and engagements between Chattanooga and Atlanta. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp.; pg 366)|
|Jarvis Clock, the second son of Ebenezer and Lucinda Clock, was born near Islip, Suffolk Co., L. I., Feb., 1828. In 1832 his parents moved to Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, where he attended school until he was about fourteen years of age, when he went into the employ of the captain of a vessel engaged in the merchant service on the lakes. Here he remained for several years and then went on board a whaling ship. He was fond of a sailor's life and followed it for several successive years. In 1855 he came to Iowa and purchased a farm in Franklin county, Geneva township. On the 9th of September, 1858, he was married to Nancy Marvin, of Pike Co., Ohio. The following winter they spent in Illinois, and in the spring came to Franklin Co., Iowa. He immediately began improving his place though they did not move on it until 1866. That year he built a substantial stone house and the following year set out an orchard and planted a grove of maple trees. He was careful for nothing so much as to make his farm a valuable and comfortable home and means of sustenance for his family, and though he did not live to improve it according to his ideal, yet he made it one of the best farms in the county. There are four children in this family Mary Belle, born Jan. 12, 1862, Kire LaClare, born July 8, 1863, Archie Louis, born Oct. 25, 1867 and Rose Marvin, born Feb. 28, 1873. In February, 1879, Mr. Clock was attacked with pneumonia, and after an illness of only a few days, died Feb. 18, 1879, at the age of fifty-one years. For more than twenty-five years he had been a member of the I. O. O. F. and was buried by that order. He was a man of sterling integrity, and his influence was always on the side of religion, temperance and right. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp.; pg 348)|
|T. H. Coble came to Hampton in 1877, and instituted his present business. He is engaged in the sale of agricultural machinery, etc. He was born in La Fayette Co., Wis., Sept. 21, 1846. He was reared and educated in his native county. In 1870, he came to the State of Iowa and located on a farm in Butler county, near Aplington, which he operated until he came to Hampton, save one year that he lived in the village of Aplington. His business is in every way successful, and he is esteemed a substantial and public spirited citizen. He was married in 1871 to Margery Mason. Their children are Lola and Mattie. (Chapter 22, Hampton City & Washington twp.; pg 410)|
|Bennett Cole was born, in 1818, in Onondaga Co., N.Y., where he was married, in 1837, to Susan Phillips, born in the same county in 1810. In 1853 they moved to LaFayette Co., Wis., remaining until 1857, and from there to Franklin county, first settling in Geneva township, where they remained until 1870, when he purchased his farm in Reeve township, where he died, Sept. 10, 1882. His wife still survives him. He was an estimable citizen, had received a good common school education and was an industrious, hard working man. They had five children, only three of whom are living Martha C., Benton, who now carries on the farm, and Frank A., living in Kansas. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 518)|
|John P. Cook. Franklin county became a part of the second congressional district, on its organization, and was represented in the thirty-third Congress, from 1853 to 1855, by John P. Cook, of Davenport. Mr. Cook was a native of the State of New York, and in 1836, came west to Davenport. He was elected a member of Congress as a whig, and held the views of that party until its dissolution. On the breaking up of the whig party, he affiliated with the democratic party, the principles of which he labored to sustain and promulgate, even to the end of his days. His life was one of great energy and industry. He was by natural instinct a true western man, a wide-awake, thoroughly active pioneer, who never saw the time when he could lay aside the business harness, and, to all appearances, never wanted to. As a lawyer, he had but few superiors; was always ready, fluent and an able adocate, and with these qualities were combined energy, tact and industry ; and for years he stood pre-eminently high. Mr. Cook died at Davenport, April 17, 1872. (Chapter 12, Representation - Congressional; pg 249-250)|
|S. S. Coon founded the business of wag-on making at Hampton, in 1869, which vocation he has followed ever since. He is a native of Delaware Co., N. Y., born Dec, 23, 1827. A few years after his birth, his parents moved to Susquehannah Co., Penn. There he passed the first years of his manhood, and learned his trade. In 1862, he enlisted in company F, 144th New York Volunteers, serving first in the ranks and afterward being promoted to sergeant. He was honorably discharged at Elmira, N. Y. in July, 1865. During two years of his period of service, he was on duty at the headquarters of Gens. Foster and Gilmore. He was married in 1845, to Sarah P. Bennett, born in Pennsylvania. Their children are Helen M., wife of O. F. Sweet; Angie, now Mrs. George Shane; Eva, now Mrs. O. E. Daniels; and Hattie E. Coon. (Chapter 22, Hampton City & Washington twp.; pg 402-405)|
|Martin Cooney, son of John and Alice (Lahiff) Cooney, settled on section 18. He was born in Claire Co., Ireland, in 1822, and grew to manhood in his native country. At the age of twenty-five, Mr. Cooney came to America and traveled over the United States a few years, but did not permanently locate at any place. In 1855 he came to Iowa and settled in Dubuque county, remaining there about two years. In this county he was married in 1861 to Ellen Welch. This union has been blessed with nine children Kate, Hannah, John, Austin, Mary, Ellen, Bridget, Alice and Martin. The second daughter, Hannah, was united in marriage to Nicholas Kearney, a resident of Osceola township. They were married in 1878, and have two children John and Nicholas. Mr. Cooney is a democrat in politics. He has been clerk of Osceola township for two years. Mr. Cooney and his family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Cooney is an honest, industrious man, a good citizen and well respected by his neighbors. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., pg 503)|
|Dr. W. F. Cooper has been a practicing physician of Chapin since July 22, 1881. He was born in Medina Co., Ohio, Sept. 19, 1845. His parents, Wm, G. and Maria (Smith) Cooper, came from Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively. The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood on his father's farm, attending the district school, supplemented by several terms at Delaware Academy and Oberlin College. While attending school and afterward while pursuing the study of medicine, he frequently engaged in teaching. He engaged in the study and practice of medicine in Ohio for six years in Green and Miami counties, also practiced one year in Decatur Co., Ind., after which he came to Chapin. Dr. Cooper is a gentleman of fine personal appearance, easy address, rare educational attainments, and is rapidly pushing his way to the front rank among the medical fraternity of Franklin county. He has good success in the treatment of patients, and his field of practice is constantly enlarging. On the 24th of September, 1867, he married Aurietta Gridley, of Medina Co., Ohio. They are the parents of two children L. May and Lillian M. Dr. Cooper was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion, serving as private in the 166th regiment, Ohio National Guards. He was on duty in Virgina little more than four months. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession; pg 207)|
|Dr. C A. Corning, homeopathic physician and surgeon, located at Hampton in 1878 and enjoys a lucrative practice. He was born at Manchester, N. H., Aug. 18, 1835. He acquired a good education, and at the age of nineteen years he came to Wisconsin, where, not long after, he engaged in teaching, which vocation he followed for some years. He was married in 1861 to Isabel Town. He was at that time principal of the schools at Kilbourn City, Columbia Co., Wis. In 1864 he went to Union Co., Ill., to establish himself in the fruit business. He found it distasteful and resumed his former occupation, obtaining an appointment as principal of the Lamoille schools in Bureau Co., Ill. He remained there two years and then accepted a like position in the schools in Buda, in that county. His wife died at Buda in 1868, leaving one child, Ernest Banks. Meanwhile he had been prosecuting the study of medicine and graduated at Hahnemann College, Chicago. He commenced the practice of medicine in 1871, and continued until 1878 at Marseilles, Ill., when he came to Hampton. He was again married in 1875 to Josephine Town, sister of the first Mrs. Corning. By this second marriage there is one child, Edward Ray. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession; pg 201)|
|Dr. F. E. Cornish located at Dows in October, 1880, and is the local physician of the B., C. R. & N. Railway Company, also physician of Morgan township, Franklin county, and Vernon and Blair townships, Wright county, having an extended practice and drug trade. He was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1849. He received his education at the Bennett Medical College, in Chicago, practicing in that city four years. In February, 1877, he moved to Parkersburg, engaging in his profession until October, 1880, when he moved to Dows. He was married, July 10, 1867, to Elizabeth Dwyer, a native of New York city, born in 1850. They have two children Sanford Stephen and Arthur Guy. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession; pg 207-208)|
|J. O. Crapser came with Lockwood and Robinson, the three being the only settlers north of the West Fork of the Cedar river in the township. He broke forty acres and put up a log house, 18x24 feet, which cost him $300 in gold. The house was used for nine years as his residence, and in 1883 was being used as a postoffice by John H. Lockwood, just over the Butler county line. Mr. Crapser was born Aug. 18, 1830, in Duchess Co., N. Y. His parents, William and Catherine (Ostrom) Crapser, were natives of the same county, and there reared their children. John attended the common schools in his youth and finished his education at the academy in the village of Westchester, which he attended three years. He went to Canada at the age of eighteen, going thence to the city of New York, where he was occupied in draying two years. In 1851 he went to California, making the route by way of Panama. In the Golden State he engaged in mining and teaming. Returning in 1854 to the Empire State, he passed the next two years in Greene county. He came to Iowa in April, 1856, and, after prospecting in various directions, fixed on Franklin county as his point of destination. He first entered the county in company with Solomon Robinson and L. N. Lockwood, and with them went on foot to Ft. Dodge and entered his claim at the land office. Mr. Crapser opened and improved the farm lying north of his original claim, where he resided ten years. He now occupies his first estate, comprising 204 acres on the northwest quarter of section 2. He has always been distinguished by his interest in the advancement and prosperity of his town and county. He caused the division into school districts and built the first school house in the township. He was first road supervisor and laid out the first highways. He has been a member of the county board of supervisors, and held various town offices. He was married May 3, 1854, to Christiana L. Lee, of Brazier, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. Following is the record of their children Victor E., born Feb. 2, 1855, in Greene Co., N. Y.; Julian H., Sept. 19, 1856, was the first child born in West Fork township; Clarence E., June 28, 1863, and Myron L., Aug 31, 1866. Mr. Crapser is one of the most prosperous farmers in West Fork. Fur the past fifteen years he has made a specialty of raising sheep, and his flock contains 500 at the present time. (Chapter 34, West Fork Township; pg 570-573)|
|G. W. Crawford come to Iowa in 1862. He was born in Fulton Co., Penn., Feb. 17,1838. His parents, J. V. and Melinda (McGee) Crawford, were natives of Pennsylvania. The father was a blacksmith. The son, G. W. Crawford, learned the milling trade and worked at this business in Pennsylvania until 1859, then moved to Illinois and for one year lived near Mt. Carroll. In 1860 he went to Pike's Peak in search of gold, spending one short summer, then returned to Illinois, and after a year's sojourn there he removed to Cedar Falls, Iowa, where he worked at the cooper's trade until 1865, at which date he came to Franklin county. He had made a tour of prospect here in 1864 and purchased 160 acres of land on section 20, Ross township, which he still owns. The farm is well improved with a fine dwelling house and other buildings. Mr. Crawford values his land at fifty dollars per acre. He keeps from twenty to thirty head of cattle, ten horses and about 120 hogs, and believes stock to be a better investment than gold hunting at Pike's Peak. Mr. Crawford formed a partnership for the purpose of dealing in merchandise and grain with W. W. Richards, at Chapin, and the firm continued up to the death of Mr. Richards, since which time Mr. Crawford has conducted the lumber and coal trade, having closed out the grain and merchandise business. In 1862 he married Celia E. Willis, of Kankakee Co., Ill., whose native State is New York. They have had nine children, eight of whom are living Charles A., Edward V., George W., Sidney H., Garfield, Annie M., Gertrude and Florence. Mr. Crawford has held the office of trustee for three years, and school director five years. In politics, he is an old line republican, and is a good farmer. (Chapter 31, Ross Township; pg 543-544)|
|J. E. Crawford is the proprietor of the Chapin Mill. He was born in New Hampshire, April 30, 1839. His father's name was James Crawford, his mother's maiden name, M. C. Bellows. They were both natives of New Hampshire, and moved to Dubuque, Iowa, in 1840, where the father died in 1845. The son, James E., remained in Dubuque until 1861, when he enlisted as a private in company L, 2d Iowa Cavalry, and served four years and forty days. He was in the battles of Corinth, Tupelo, Nashville, Franklin and numberless other minor engagements. In August, 1862, he was taken prisoner and held thirteen days. He was wounded at Colleyville, a minnie ball passing entirely through his body and penetrating the knee of the man behind him. In 1864 he re-enlisted and was mustered out of the service at Selma, Ala., Aug. 5, 1865. He entered the service as a private in 1861, was elected sergeant in 1862, was promoted to first lieutenant in 1864, at Memphis, and made captain at Decaor, Ala., the same year. After the war was over he lived at Dubuque, Iowa, until 1873, at which date he came to Franklin county, residing on a farm in West Fork until 1882, and then commenced the milling business at Chapin, in which he is still engaged. In 1866 he married Maria Hecks, of York State. They have five children Arthur, Ella, Mabel, Mary and Baby. He was school director in West Fork, and in politics is a staunch republican. (Chapter 31, Ross Township; pg 548)|
|William Crawford was born in Upper Canada, Oct. 8, 1834. All his early life was passed there and Dec. 23, 1853, he was married to Elizabeth Piper. Mrs. Crawford was born in Canada, Oct 2, 1825. They came to Michigan in 1865, and, in 1870, to Franklin Co., Iowa. Mr. Crawford died Feb. 27, 1881. Mrs. Crawford yet survives him. Following is the record of their children Louisa, born Nov 23, 1854, was married to James Johnson, Feb. 25, 1874; Julia, born Jan. 27, 1857, married Samuel Boutin, March 14, 1874; Charlotte, born July 24, 1859; Addie M., March 10, 1865; Mary M., Feb. 14, 1868; Hester A., March 12, 1872; and Flora, March 30, 1875. (Chapter 27, Mott Township; pg 486)|
|A. F. Crosby came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1859, and settled in Clinton township in 1860, engaging in farming. He was born in Wayne Co., N. Y. in 1818. He is the son of E. Y. and Abigail (Franklin) Crosby, the former of New York, the latter of Pennsylvania. When he was eight years of age, his parents moved to western New York, and when he was fourteen, they went to Ohio. There A. F. Crosby was brought up on a farm, received a common school education, and followed farming till he was twenty-seven years of age. In 1845, he went to work at the trade of carriage making in Pennsylvania, and after two years there, went to Ohio and worked at wagon making, until he went to Wisconsin, in 1855. Here he worked at his trade till he came to Franklin Co., Iowa. Mr. Crosby started the first shop in the county in 1860, and has been in the business more or less ever since. He was married in 1841, to Sophronia Squire, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of five children, two living; one died in infancy. Elemuel enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was killed at the battle of Pleasant Hill, La., April 9, 1864, at the age of nineteen. Their eldest daughter died of consumption in 1873, leaving a family of three children. She was the wife of Charles Smith Squire E., a farmer in Nebraska, and Adalaide, the wife of A. Dailey, who is Mr. Crosby's partner. Mr. Crosby is the oldest resident settler in the town. He and his wife have lived together for forty-two years. Their oldest daughter, Maria, was the first child married in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Crosby are both active members of the Baptist Church, he having been a member for thirty-two, and his wife forty-six years. He has been justice of the peace, trustee of the township, assessor, and president of the school board. In politics, he is a republican, and a strong temperance man. (Chapter 18, Clinton Township; pg 335-336)|
|Levi Culver came from Missouri to
Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1860. He was born in Guernsey Co.,
Ohio, Sept. 3, 1828. His parents, Philip and Elizabeth
(Drake) Culver, were from western Virginia, and settled
in Ohio, in 1803. His father was a soldier in the war of
1812. In 1833 the family removed from Ohio to Illinois,
and the father was the first man to strike a blow with
hammer on the site of Rockford. After remaining there
five years, the father, with his family, moved to
Missouri, from there to Illinois, then to Wisconsin,
thence to Winneshiek and Linn counties, Iowa. From there
he moved to Hancock Co., Mo., and finally to Illinois,
where he died in 1863.
Levi Culver came into Jones Co., Iowa, in 1852, from Dodge Co., Wis. After remaining there five years he returned to Wisconsin, then came to Linn Co., Iowa. He remained in Linn county one year, and then moved to Grundy Co., Mo., where he lived until 1860, when he came to Franklin county. In July, 1862, he enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was in many of the severest battles of the rebellion. At Island No 10, while on picket duty, he was taken prisoner by the rebels, and was held as a prisoner one year and ten months. For one year of this time he suffered the horrors of Andersonville prison. He was finally exchanged and joined his regiment at Franklin, and was in the battle there and also at Nashville, Tenn. He was with his regiment in all its campaigns and skirmishes, and was honorably discharged in 1865.
Since the war he has made his home on section 8, where he owns eighty acres of land which he bought in 1872. He is now a member of Mulligan Post of the G. A. R. at Sheffield. Mr. Culver was married in August 1855 to Elizabeth Mann, of Winnebago, Ill. They have had eleven children, nine of whom are living Bethany, Lucinda A., Mary E., Clara L., John W., Arthur O., Carrie E. and Waford Garfield. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp.; pg 576)
|J. W. Cummings and A. B.
Cummings are associated in farming in Mott
township, where they have been located since 1869, when
their parents settled in Franklin county.
J. W. Cummings, the elder brother, was born in Wentworth, Canada, August 11, 1853. In 1868 the parents and sons removed to Jackson Co., Iowa, where they resided until the date named as that of their settlement in Franklin county. J. W. Cummings has been, since their removal to Franklin county, engaged as a clerk in a drug store in Des Moines seven months. He was married Dec. 30, 1880, to Etta L. Roberts.
A. B. Cummings was born in Wentworth Co., Canada, July 23, 1855. He settled here, as stated, and has since April, 1881, been connected with his brother in farming. (Chapter 27, Mott Township; pg 485)
1883 Biography Index
This page was updated
November 27, 2014
©2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.