Franklin co. IAGenWeb

1883 Biographies
History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

Bo - By

~*~*~

Joseph Bobst settled in Allamakee Co., Iowa, in 1851. He removed to Clinton Co., Iowa, in 1857, and came to Franklin county in 1862. Mr. Bobst was born in Switzerland, canton of Solense, 1815. He came to America in 1848, and was married the same year to Clara Keiser. Mrs. Bobst was born in Alsace, France, in October, 1826, and emigrated to this country in 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Bobst went first to Dunleith, Ill., and remained until the date of their coming to Iowa. Mr. Bobst died in October, l879, of heart disease. Following are the names of their nine children — Catherine (Mrs. Charles Baldwin), Lucy (Mrs. John McNeill), Joseph, William, Mary (Mrs. Orin Zimmerman), Clara (Mrs. Alfred Row), Allie, Lillie and Charles. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 481)
William Boddy came from Hardin Co., Iowa, in 1873, settling on section 26, Grant township. He is a Yorkshireman by birth, and a stone mason by trade. He was born in England, Feb. 15, 1843. His father and mother, Robert and Mary (Newton) Boddy, were the parents of eight children. In 1848, they emigrated to America and settled at first in the State of New York, where they lived three years, going thence to Stephenson Co., Ill. Mr. Boddy attended the common schools of this country, obtaining a good fundamental education, which he finished in the academy at Warren, Ill. He became a soldier, and fought for the honor and integrity of the Union cause from the first years of the civil war until 1865, as sergeant in company A, 92d Illinois Volunteers, when, on being mustered out of service, he returned to Illinois. Mr. Boddy went afterwards to Kansas, and, in 1868, was married to Ann Eliza Meeker. Their six children are Elmer R., Addie A., Mary M., Arthur N., Jennie M. and Charles D. The family came to Iowa in 1869, and passed four years in Hardin county, removing to Lee township, Franklin county, and settling in the township of Grant, in March, 1883. Mr. Boddy belongs to the Masonic fraternity. (Chapter 20, Grant twp.; page 370)
John Bolton. The second hotel in the place was built by John Bolton, in 1874, who was still its proprietor in 1883...... Uncle John Bolton, proprietor of the Gilman House, was born in Knox Co., Ohio, in May, 1821. He is the son of John and Magdalena Bolton. He lived in his native place until he was sixteen years of age, when he moved to the western part of Ohio. Mr. Bolton was reared on a farm, receiving a common school education. He continued to live in Ohio until the spring of 1865, when he came to Iowa and settled in Mahaska county, where he farmed for five years, then came to Franklin county and settled at Hampton, where he was in the livery business. From Hampton he went on a farm in Washington township, where he staid until he came to Sheffield and bought a third interest in the plat which was owned by Thompson, Gilman & Bolton. He built a store 22x26 feet and engaged in the hardware business, but the demand was so great for a hotel that he gave up his hardware business and opened a hotel the next fall, to which he built an addition of 26x36 feet, two stories high; kitchen, one story high and 20x30 feet. This gave the people confidence in the place and raised the price of the land at once from $5 to $6 per acre. In the year 1880, Mr. Bolton sold his interest in the town plat to Thompson, retaining only the property where his hotel is and four other lots. He was one of the directors of the school when the school house was built, helped finish the building and hired the first teacher. In the spring of 1883, he was appointed justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and still holds that office. Mr. Bolton was married in 1843, to Lucretia Barber; she died in 1856, leaving two children — Samantha and Sally O., the former being the wife of Robert McMagus, of Marshalltown, and the latter the wife of Wm. Ogle, now of Kansas. Mr. Bolton was married in 1857, to Almira Thompson, a sister of Mr. Thompson, proprietor of the town site. He has been a member the A. F. & A. M. for over twenty-five years, and was one of the charter members of t he lodge at Sheffield. He has also been a member of the Odd Fellows lodge for the past twenty-six years, and helped charter Hampton lodge. Mr. Bolton has held some of the offices in the lodge in Ohio. He is called "Uncle John" by every one far and near. In token of their respect and esteem for him, on his sixtieth birthday, the R R. boys gave him a grand surprise, making him $200 worth of presents, including a fine gold headed cane. There were about 120 present. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 325-326)

The first livery business was started by John Bolton, in 1868, in a stable on the lot north of and adjoining the Beed House. He sold off his stock and quit business in 1870. John Bolton is now proprietor of the Gilman House, Sheffield. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 407)
Dr. C. E. Booth arrived in May, 1876, and at once opened an office. Dr. Booth came here from Le Roy, Wis., and was a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. He entered into partnership with Dr. J. H. Hutchins, and remained six months, when he returned to Le Roy, Wis. Dr. Booth was a gentleman and a thorough scholar. He made many friends and became very popular. Previous to his locating here, he had been professor of physiology and anatomy in a medical institution at Le Roy, and on his return to that place was placed in the same position. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 201)
John Martin Boots is the son of Martin Boots, an old settler of Geneva township, and was born in the township, June 1, 1856. He had a good common school education, was reared on his father's farm and since doing for himself, has engaged in farming. He was married Jan. 22, 1882, to Rachel M. Manifold, born in Black Hawk county, March 25, 1856. Her parents are old settlers of the township. He moved to his present farm on section 2, in the spring of 1882. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 363)
Martin Boots is one of the early settlers in Geneva township. He was a native of of Fayette Co., Ohio, born in 1817. He was reared on the farm, and when sixteen years of age, went with his parents to Indiana. He received his education at the log school-house, hence it was a limited common school education. When twenty-one he engaged in farming. May 25, 1844 he married Rebecca Jones, born in Preston Co., W. Va., in 1820. In the fall of 1854, they came to Iowa, stopping the first winter near Waterloo, and the following spring, coming to Geneva township, they purchased and opened the farm on which he still resides. The first religious services in the township were held at his house. Mr. and Mrs. Boots are members of the United Brethren Church, and have eight children: Rhoda, William, Martha J., James W , Mary E., John M., Malena E. and Simeon. In politics he is a republican. His farm consists of 240 acres, valued at $30 per acre, containing excellent buildings, near which is a fine spring, which furnishes an abundance of water, not only for domestic purposes, but also for stock. He makes stock a specialty, and is successful. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 346)
James Borst is a prominent resident of Sheffield, having come here in 1877. He was born in Schoharie Co., N. Y. When sixteen years old he went to Laporte Co., Ind., going from there to Missouri, thence to Wisconsin in 1856. His advantages were very limited. When he was married he commenced life without a dollar, but by hard work and close economy he began to accumulate property, and when he went to Wisconsin, in 1856, he bought a small farm and from that day onward he has made rapid advancement in the acquisition of wealth, far surpassing the dreams of his boyhood. He is now sixty-seven years of age, hale and vigorous, and possesses a large fortune. In 1867 he moved into the village of Fox Lake, Wis., and for ten years he retired from active labor. In 1877 he came to Sheffield, Iowa, where he invested a large amount of his fortune. He owns 280 acres of land in Clinton township, adjoining the town, a part of which is in the corporation. He owns the finest residence in the town, built by himself in 1877, also the finest business block built in 1882, at a cost of $7,000. He also has several other business houses and four tenement houses, and is doing much in building up the town. He has platted Borst's addition to the village, and sells lots at prices to encourage settlers. For fifteen years Mr. Borst has been an active member of the Baptist Church, and a life-long republican, he is a very liberal man and joins heartily in everything that tends to build up the town, and his efforts are appreciated by the people. He was married in 1843 to Melissa Culver. They have four children — Bethone, Wm. D , Joseph B. and John L. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 342-343)
John L. Borst, coal dealer in Sheffield, Iowa, came to Franklin county in 1876, and after farming for about five years, located in Sheffield. He was born in Fon du Lac, Wis., in 1852, where he grew up and followed farming with his parents until he was twenty years of age. He then went into the drug business in connection with a livery stable and bus line. He also spent a few years, during the time he was engaged in farming, in speculating in stock. His parents were James and Millica Borst. He was married Feb. 20, 1873, to Ella P. John, a native of Ohio. They have two children — Frank L. and Arthur Earle. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 341)
Major C. W. Boutin came to Franklin county in March, 1869, locating at Hampton, where he has since operated as a contractor and builder. He was born in Chester, Windsor Co., Vt., Nov. 8, 1839. He is a son of Joachim and Martha (Warner) Boutin. At eighteen, he decided on his vocation in life and worked as a carpenter until the breaking out of the rebellion, when he enlisted in company C, 1st Vermont Volunteers, in the first three months requisition. At the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted in company K, 4th Vermont Infantry, was elected first lieutenant, then promoted to captain, and finally commissioned as major, June 4, 1865. In August, 1865, he was honorably discharged, and soon went to Chicago, from there to Lake Co., Ill., and finally moved to Hampton from Webster City. He was married to Julina French, in March, 1864. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 407)
W.S. Bowen, postmaster and mayor of the town of Sheffield, in 1883, has been identified with the interests of the place since its very commencement. Mr. Bowen was born in Canada East, near the Vermont line, in October, 1829. He is the son of Peter and Mary Bowen, natives of New Hampshire. He was brought up on a farm, receiving a common school education. He followed farming in his native county. When he moved to Clayton Co., Iowa, he followed the same occupation until 1867. Mr. Bowen then removed to Franklin county, settling in Clinton township on section 5 and owning 200 acres of the section. When the town of Sheffield was laid out, in 1874, he moved to that village and was soon after appointed postmaster. After holding the office a short time he vacated it for a few years, but was again appointed, and was still postmaster in 1883. He has been a justice of the peace for several years, was elected mayor when the town was first incorporated, and with the exception of one term, has held that office ever since. He was also town treasurer for eight years, and has been connected with the school board most of the time since he lived in Sheffield. In politics he is a strong republican. He was married, in 1864, to Hattie Vance. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 344)
J. H. Bradley was the successor of Judge Rose, and was elected in the fall of 1872 entering upon the discharge of his duties in January, 1873. He was re-elected in 1876, and served his second term, ending January, 1881. Judge Bradley made an able and impartial judicial officer, and was generally esteemed by both bar and people. For several years previous he had been prosecuting attorney for the district, and his qualifications were therefore well known by all. (Chapter 6, The Courts, Circuit Court, page 174)
O. H. Brainerd, cashier of the Franklin County Bank was born in Collinsville, Conn., July 15, 1854. His parents, N. H. and Eliza A. (Hatch) Brainerd, were both natives of New England. When the son was but two years of age they located in Iowa City, Iowa, and there Mr. Brainerd, of this sketch, spent his youth. He acquired a good fundamental training at the public schools, and afterward completed a thorough course of study at the State University of Iowa, where he graduated in 1876. He became assistant teacher in the high schools of Oskaloosa, and a year later acted as assistant in the high schools at Iowa City, which position he retained three years and pursued the post graduate course at the university for one year. Then he was offered and accepted the position of principal of the Hampton schools, which he retained for three years, when he received the appointment of cashier of the Franklin County Bank, vice Fred. Ward, resigned. Mr. Brainerd was married in 1879 to Minnie Goodrich, of Iowa. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 420)
James D. Brande came to the county in 1857, settling on section 35, purchasing 130 acres of land. James Brande came to Iowa in the fall of 1854, locating near Alden, Hardin county, on 130 acres of land, to secure which, he talked to Des Moines to make a the entry- Two years later he sold this property for depot grounds for $2,615 cash, and came to Franklin county, locat ing in Oakland township. In January, 1857, he purchased 130 acres of land on secton 35, twenty-one acres of which was under the plow. There was also a block house on the place, one of the best in the township. Mr. Brande now owns 444 acres of good farming land, keeps from fifty to eighty head of cattle, twelve or fifteen horses, and about 100 hogs on hand, and has always made a specialty of stock raising. Mr. Brande is a native of Broom Co., N. Y., born Jan. 10, 1831. His parents were Allen and Eunice (Wat- tles ) Brande, the former a native of Con- necticut, the latter of Rhode Island. His father was a merchant for a number of years, but later in life became a farmer. James was reared on a farm until twenty years of age, then for a time attended school at Schoharie, and after leaving school, was engaged in teaching for about five years. Early in 1854, he came west to Illinois, spending the summer at Naper- ville, and that fall started with his wife from Joliet to Hardin county, this State. The trip was made with an ox-team, and, December 10, after traveling thirty- three days, they arrived at Alden. Mr. Brande was married, Oct. 25, 1855, to Jeannett Brandon, a native of Otsego Co., N. Y. Her parents settled in Illinois, in 1834. Mr. and Mrs. Brande have been blessed with five children, three of whom are living — Clarissa, Rose and Allen. The parents are both members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Brande has held the offices of assessor, justice of the peace, township trustee, road supervisor and school director. He is a warm supporter of the republican party and a strong advocate of prohibition. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., page 493-494)
A.H. Bridgeman. In 1856 the legal profession of Franklin county received an additional member, in the person of A. H. Bridgeman, who came from New York State. Mr. Bridgeman was highly educated, having graduated as third in his class from Harvard University. He was also a graduate of the Albany Law School. At the beginning of the war he enlisted in Company H, 32d Iowa Infantry, and after his discharge from service went to Buchanan county, this State. (Chapter 7, The Bar of Franklin County, page 179)
Wesley Brogan came in 1873, locating on section 5. He is the tenth child of John and Margaret (Dunlap) Brogan. He was born Sept. 20, 1833, in Campbell Co., Ky., and is one of a family of twelve children. In 1843 his parents moved to Muscatine, Iowa, where they lived until 1869. October 14, of that year they located in Grant township, Franklin county. Mr. Brogan was married in 1855, to Permelia Batchelor, and his household flock includes nine children. Their names are: Leroy, Morris, Elwood, Jesse, Ackley, Ethlena, Mary, Cora and Oreilla. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 369)

In 1870, Wesley Brogan drew up a petition to have a township set off from Oakland township. He was aided by John Griggs. They received thirty one signers and the petition was granted to them that fall. The first election was held at a school house on section 16, October 16, at which time there were thirty-two votes cast for the following officers: Long Salley, clerk; J. F. Moats, assessor; B. F. Cogswell, John Griggs and H. Talhelm, trustees. Wesley Brogan was appointed clerk in place of Salley, and Nelson Salley, assessor, in place of Moats. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 373)
Benjamin S. Brown came to Franklin county in 1870. He settled on section 36, Mott township, where he now owns 215 acres of land. He was born in Yorkshire, England, Aug. 16, 1838. At the age of twelve years he accompanied his parents to America. They first settled in LaFayette Co.. Wis. Mr. Brown was a resident of that county until 1870, with the exception of two years which were spent in Jo Daviess Co., Ill. He has been quite prominent as a public spirited citizen, and has held the offices of president of the school board and treasurer of the agricultural society. He was married, in 1862, to Mary Glendinning, a native of England. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have seven children — Franklin, Maggie, Mary, Fannie, Adeline, James and Jane. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 486)
J. W. Bruce, of the firm of Bigg & Bruce, contractors and builders, was born in Dodge Co., Wis., in 1856, and came to Sheffield, Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1878. He worked for Mr. Bigg two years and since that time has been in partnership with him. When he was nineteen years years of age he commenced to learn the carpenter trade, and in 1876, came to Iowa settling in Rockwell, Cerro Gordo county, where he followed his trade until he came here. Mr. Bruce owns a fine house and lot, and in company with Mr. Bigg owns the shop where they do business. In politics he is a republican; is also a member of the I. O. O. F. In 1882, he was united in marriage with Tillie Hall, of Illinois. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 341)
William B. Bryan came to Geneva township in 1870, and settled on section 7. He was born in Geauga Co., Ohio, July 10, 1837. His parents, in 1843, moved to Jo Daviess Co., Ill. He received a good education, and chose farming for an occupation. He enlisted Aug. 15, 1862, in company H, 96th Illinois Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He was wounded by a musket ball at the battle of Lookout Mountain, and after his discharge returned to JoDaviess county, where he was married Dec. 25, 1866, to Susan K. Townsend, born in Jo Daviess county, Feb. 1 6, 1846.

W.B. Bryan and Susan K. (Townsend) Bryan
W.B. Bryan and Susan K. (Townsend) Bryan

He was the fourth son of Abram and Polly E. (Beadsley) Bryan; father born in 1803, in State of New York, mother born in Ohio, in 1813, and were married in 1829, having a family of seven children. The father died March 11, 1872; the mother is still living. The parents of Mrs. Bryan were George N. and Mary (Miner) Townsend; the father was born in Vernon Co., N. J., Aug. 28, 1806; mother in Ontario Co., N. Y., March 31, 1811. Mr. Townsend was orderly sergeant in the Winnebago war. Had a family of thirteen children, Mrs. Bryan being the sixth. Mr. and Mrs. Bryan have had seven children, six of whom are living — George S., Harry H., Ernest T., Roy S. Wayne (deceased), Mary W. and William I. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 356; illustrations page 350 & 351)

William T. Bullis, was born in Niagara Co., N. Y., Aug. 22, 1839. His father was Arnold Bullis, and his mother Malinda (Wert) Bullis, who had ten children; William T. being the oldest. At the age of six, his parents moved to Lee Co., Ill., lived there eight years, and then removed to LaSalle county, that State, where his mother died early in the fall, and his father, December 24, of the same year. William T. enlisted, in 1862, in the 104th Illinois Infantry, serving his country until July, 1865. He was married, in the spring of 1851, to Eliza Zern, by whom he had five children — Malinda, William, Charles, Nellie and John. Mr. Bullis is a Mason, and a radical republican in his politics. He aided in the organization of the township, and his brother was one of the number who gave the name of Grant in honor of his old commander — U. S. Grant. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 369)

The first birth [in Grant twp.] was Charles W. son of W. T. and Eliza Bullis, born May 14, 1867. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 373)
Henry Burmester, farmer, is a German by birth, and came to America in 1869, settling almost immediately in Ross township, in Franklin county, where he operated on a farm two years. At the expiration of that period he located in Chapin. In 1876, he took possession of his present farm in Mott township including 240 acres of land. He was married in 1862, to Maggie Meyer. They had two chilren — William and Annie. Mrs. Burmester died June 6, 1882. In December, 1882, he was married to Annie Schroeder. Mr. Brurnester was born in Hanover, Germany, Nov. 4, 1836. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 485)
Edward Burnham became a resident of Floyd Co., Iowa, in 1867, and the following year settled where he now resides in Ingham township. He was born in Windsor Co., Vt., Feb. 14, 1819. His parents, Frederick and Hannah (Mason) Burnham, were also natives of the green mountain State. The father, who was a carpenter, was killed when his son was about two years old, by falling from the ridge of a saw-mill, on the rocks beneath. The mother died five years later. When seventeen Edward went to Rutland, and engaged in farming until 1845, when he removed to Cook Co., Ill., where he rented a farm. He lived in the counties of McHenry and Cook until after the war. Mr. Burnham enlisted from DuPage county, in company A, 52nd Illinois Volunteers in the fall of 1861. He served one year and was discharged for physical disability, for which he has since drawn a pension. He was married in 1843 to Mary Rollins. She died in Floyd county in 1867, leaving two children. The second wife of Mr. Burnham was Mrs. Prudence M., widow of Thomas Lewis. She was born in Ohio, in 1831, and had two children — Samuel C. and Alfred B. Lewis. The only child of Mr Burnham now living is Emma C. Remembrance H., eldest son, served through the war in the 12th Illinois Cavalry, and was under fire in some of the severest engagements of the war. He was wounded once and had a horse killed under him. Edward Royal, his youngest son, was born, Oct. 16, 1849, in Cook Co., Ill., and died in that county, Feb. 26, 1855. Mr. Burnham has always been a republican in politics and is a zealous member of the M. E. Church, having been connected with it for forty years. He has been leader ten years, also exhorter sixteen years. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp. page 439)
G W. Burns is one of the successful farmers of Ingham township. He came in 1872 and has since resided on section 22, where he owns 160 acres of land and has most pleasant surroundings. He is the son of James and Lavinia (Mead) Burns, and was born at Fitchville, Huron Co., Ohio, Nov. 15, 1843. His father was a carpenter. G. W. received such an education as the common schools could at that time give. In 1862 he went to work for the United States government, putting up telegraph lines. He was with a party whose business was to run lines over battlefields, after the army. After serving in this capacity for two years he was taken sick and returned home, where he engaged in farming until 1872, when he came to Franklin county. He began to improve his farm as soon as he arrived and camped out while he was breaking. In 1879, he set out an orchard which is now one of the best in Franklin countv, having 500 trees, with seventeen varieties of apples. Among them are the Hass, Duchess of Oldenburg, Plum Cider, Red Astrakan, Walbridge, Tolman Sweet, Famous and Ben Davis. He has 200 crab apple trees, and a fine variety of grapes, plums and other fruit. By good cultivation and care Mr. Burns has demonstrated the practicability of fruit growing in Franklin county. Mr. Burns was married at Fairfield, Huron Co., Ohio, to Susan Newton, Dec. 25,1871. Mrs Burns is of English descent, her family being early settlers of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Burns have five children — Julia, Clarissa, Elizabeth, William and Ezra. The parents are members of the M. E. Church. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., page 444-445)
Michael Burns settled in Osceola township, about the year 1868. He is the son of Michael and Mary (Coyne) Burns, and was born in Roscommon Co., Kilmore parish, Ireland, in 1821, where he spent his youth. In 1844, he came to America and first settled in Chester Co., Penn., where he was engaged in farming about three years, then went to Niagara Co., N. Y., and remained about six years. He then came west and settled in Manitowoc Co., Wis., where he followed farming for about eleven years and afterwards removed to Osceola township. In 1852, Mr. Burns was married to Bridget Welch, at Lockport, N. Y. She is a native of Ireland, and came to America when she was a child. Mr. and Mrs Burns are the parents of three children, all of whom are unmarried and still reside at home — James, Emma and Mary. Mr. Burns is a democrat He and his family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Burns relates the following incident in his life after crossing the ocean: After he landed he went to Canada and first stopped near Toronto for the purpose of looking up land. After doing so he was confronted by men who inquired of what religion he was. He told them that his parents were Roman Catholics and that he was of the same religion. As soon as they heard this they informed him that they were Orangemen from the north of Ireland, and that he had better be making himself scarce as lively as he knew how or they would skin him alive or burn him to the sod. He asked them if a man had not the right to choose his own religion and think as he pleased. They replied, "If you do not think and do as we do, you had better leave." And Mr. Burns did leave. He then went to New York where he was much better pleased, and where he could think and act independently. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 504)
W L. Burres was born in Randolph Co., Ind., Dec. 30, 1846. He has re-sided in Hampton, Franklin county, since 1878. Most of his early life was spent in his native county. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the three months service, in company A, 8th Indiana Infantry. At the end of the three months, the regiment was re-organized as the 27th Indiana, in which he served in company F for one year. He was then honorably discharged, but soon after enlisted in company A, 147th Indiana. He was afterward promoted to sergeant, and in November, 1865, he was discharged with the commission of 2d lieutenant. He came to Hardin Co , Iowa, in 1869, and worked at the carpenter trade at Steamboat Rock for three years. He then spent one year in California and then returned to Hardin county where he was engaged in railroading until 1877, when he opened a harness shop at Steamboat Rock. He followed this business there until September, 1878, when he came to Hampton and went into the same business. He was married Oct. 1, 1879, to Rachel Hadden. They have one child — Edna B. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 409)
Joseph G. Bushyager is a son of Henry Bushyager, a pioneer settler of Iowa. The latter was a native of Pennsylvania, and worked as a carpenter at Pittsburg. He removed to Dubuque, Iowa, in 1856, and there pursued his trade two years then went to Bremer Co., Iowa, and worked two years at his trade. He came to Franklin county and bought eighty acres of land on section 18, West Fork township. He resided here until his death, Dec. 22, 1881. He was one of the first trustees of Ingham township, then including West Fork, and afterward was a member of the board of supervisors. Joseph and his father performed the domestic duties of their household during the first two years of their residence in Franklin county, after which Joseph's sister assumed charge. In December 1863, Mr. Joseph Bushyager enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Infantry, and was in the service eighteen months, participating in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged. He became ill and received honorable discharge from the service in the spring of 1865, and returned to West Fork. He is now a prosperous farmer, owns 345 acres of land in Franklin county, his homestead including 105 acres, valued at $35 per acre. The farm is all under the plow and shows an advanced state of improvement. He owns thirty head of cattle and ten horses. In April, 1867, Mr. Bushyager was married to Mary E. Leidig, whose parents came from Pennsylvania in 1855, and located in Jackson Co., Iowa, thence to Clinton township, Franklin county, in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Bushyager have had nine children, eight of whom are living — Genettie Belle, George and Henry (twins), Mary Elizabeth, Lucia Lorena, Matilda Jane, Joseph Alvin and Zillah Jane. The parents are members of the West Fork Class of the M. E. Church. Mr. Bushyager is a democrat in politics and has acted as school director. He was born at Pittsburg, Penn., Aug. 30, 1842. Mr. Bushyager's mother died at Pittsburg, Penn., in 1850. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., page 575)
Benjamin Butterfield, one of the pioneers of Franklin county, was born in Washington Co., N.Y., June 11, 1795. His father died when he was three years of age, after which he went to live with an uncle, where he remained until he became of age. When twenty-three years of age he was married to Martha Morrison, a native of Washington county, and there followed farming. He removed to Ohio, remaining two years, from thence to Park Co., Ind., where he spent three years, when he went to Vermilion Co., Ill., where his wife died. They had three children. He subsequently married Elizabeth Scott, a native of Kentucky, born July 28, 1800. In 1831, he went to Cook Co., Ill., and was at Fort Dearborn at the time of the Black Hawk war. He afterwards kept hotel twenty-five miles south of Chicago, twenty-one years. In 1855, he cameto Franklin county and settled on section 29, Reeve township, where he lived until his death, April 28, 1878. His wife is still living, with four children. Mr. Butterfield was formerly a whig, but of late years was a republican. He was the first justice of the peace elected in Cook county. Mrs. Butterfield has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for many years. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 514)
John S. Butterfield, son of Benjamin Butterfield, one of the pioneers of the county, was born Feb. 14, 1835. He came with his father's family to Franklin county, and Jan. 1, 1856, was married to Mary J. Jones, of Geneva township, who was born in Indiana in 1841. They have had six children, five of whom are living — Benjamin E., Robert S., Nettie J., Clara A., and Albert P. His wife died Oct. 25, 1870. He is a member of the I.O.U.F. society. He is a radical republican, and has been a member of the board of township trustees. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 514)
Luther Butterfield was a man who had always been on the frontier. His parents resided in Illinois at the time of the Black Hawk war and he was born in that State. About 1849 or 1850 he went to California, returning home the spring of 1854. He was eminently fitted for the life of a pioneer, although his health was, at this time, somewhat broken down by exposure and the hardships that he had endured. He was a good citizen, a good neighbor and an honest man. His health gradually became worse, and when he died on the 9th of January, 1857, aged thirty-two years, there was sincere sorrow and mourning in the whole settlement over his untimely death. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 502)

The first death in the township was Luther L. Butterfield, Jan. 9, 1857. He was buried on the farm, a half mile north of where Ackley afterwards stood. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 509)
D. N. Byerlee, station agent at Sheffield, was born in Albia, Monroe Co., Iowa, in 1855. He is the son of A. J. and Mary J. Byerlee. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, receiving a common school education at the Albia High School. In 1876 he went on the C. B. & Q. R. R., on the middle Iowa division, as agent and operator; this he followed until the fall of 1882, when he gave up railroading and commenced to study short hand at Albia. He worked there for a time, and then came to Sheffield as agent of the station, in May, 1883. He was married in 1877 to Belle Hickey, a native of Iowa. They have one child — Libbie E. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 338)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was created March 25, 2013
2013 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.