An Offsite list of Ghosttowns
Present Day Towns
- Charles City - St. Charles Township
- Colwell - Niles Township
- Floyd - Floyd Township
- Marble Rock - Union Township
- Nora Springs - Rock Grove Township
- Rockford - Rockford Township
- Rudd - Rudd Township
Towns of the Past
- Aureola Union Township, Section 8, across the road and just northwest of Marble Rock
- Beelar's Grove Union Twp., now the town of Marble Rock
- Carrville Riverton Twp., Section 35, Post office, store, and station. 1 mile south and 1 mile west of northeast corner of Riverton township.
- Charlestown Present town of Charles City
- Devonia Floyd Twp.
- Doubleday Station located on railroad, Section 3, St. Charles Twp.
- Ernie Post Office, Section 33, Floyd Twp.
- Flood Creek According to a map dated 1895, the town of Rudd (Rudd township) was formerly known as Flood Creek.
There was also an area still called Flood Creek where a German M.E. Church and Flood Creek cemetery were located, in Section 16, Ulster Twp.
- Floyd Center
- Floyd Crossing Section 15?, Floyd Twp., at railroad crossing.
- Freeman location of first post office in Floyd Co., now part of Charles City.
- Gilmantown Floyd Twp.
- Howardville Cedar Twp. West
- Lithograph City Same as Devonia -- Located about 4 miles south of Osage, Iowa. Nothing remains.
- Niles Post Office and store. Located about 1-1/2 miles south and 2 miles west of the present town of Colwell.
- Niles Corner Same as Niles
- Nilesville Same as Niles
- Nora Junction Rock Grove Twp., N.W. corner section 18, at crossing of Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern railroads. (West side of Nora Springs. Once boasted a stock yard, hotel, and dining facilities. A brick yard was located nearby.
- Powersville Sections 24, 25, Pleasant Grove township
- Rock Grove City Rock Grove Twp., Intersection of sections 16, 17, 20, 2l. Once an up and coming town, it failed when the railroad chose to go through Nora Springs.
- Saint Charles Present town of Charles City.
- Scott Post office established in 1877. Located in the center of Scott township.
- Siding A
- Ulster Post Office and store, Section 25, Ulster Twp. 3/4 miles west and 1/2 mile south of northeast corner of township.
- Watertown This town was located in northern Floyd Twp. In 1857 a 3 mile section of Floyd was given to Mitchell Co. putting Watertown 1/8 mile north of the county line.
- West Charles City
Any assistance in locating some of these towns would be appreciated. Please send your information to the County Coordinator.
Copyright © IAGenWeb2000-2008 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the Floyd Co. website. ~