Recommended reading: Esther's Town, by Deemer Lee (1905-1979), published in 1980 by Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa (ISBN 0-8138-0459-0). Deemer Lee was a long-time resident of Estherville and a former editor and publisher of the Estherville News. He is buried in Oak Hill cemetery, Estherville.
Did you know that...
The first railroad to come to Emmet County was the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern, referred to as B. C. R. & N., June 8, 1882.
The first marriage that occurred in Emmet County was that of Sophronia Ridley and George Jenkins on April 29, 1859.
WALLINGFORD PHONE COMPANY REORGANIZES
The annual meeting of the Wallingford Telephone company was held Saturday afternoon, January 1. As a new company has been organized it was voted to disband the old company. The name of the new company will be “The Wallingford Telephone Co-op.” The directors elected until January 15, 1955, are L. M. Rawlings, Glenn Young, Sam Natterstad, Ray Ruppert and S. O. Lundy. Price of a membership will be $25. A meeting of the new company will be held later.
Source: The Graettinger Times, Graettinger, Palo Alto county, Iowa, January 21, 1954, v. 61, no. 3, p. 1.