Colesburg Bank Celebrates 100 Years.
by Charlene Barnhart
Tuesday May 8th 2007
Manchester Press, Manchester, Iowa
Jan. 11, 1892 the first banking institution was established in
Colesburg, called the Bank of Colesburg, with Amandus Wilson Rea as
proprietor. All the latest improvements for safety and convenience
were found here, including a burglar proof safe and time locks.
This bank served the community with a general banking business
and a specialty on loans and collections. Rea bought notes, paid
interest on time deposits, paid taxes and wrote insurance all from
this first banking concern.
His building was on Main Street,
just north of Potts General Store (now where the Medical Center is
today). This banking facility lasted in Colesburg until 1907 when
the Farmers Savings Bank was established.
The first meeting
of the stockholders of the Farmers Savings Bank was held in Potts
Store on Jan 12, 1907. Directors were F.A. Grimes, R.A. Gull, J.V.
Bush, J.S. Merten, F.W. Klaus, C.H. Jacobs and M. W. Lovett.
In 1912 a new brick two-story building was erected for a cost of
$2,800, just north of the present site (now the Kuhlman Construction
Company office). This was home to the Farmers Savings Bank until
1968, when they moved to their present facility on the corner of
Main and Delaware. At the time, this bank was built for the cost of
$45,000, and in 1981 was expanded at a cost of $59,798.
Juergens became the owner of the Farmers Savings Bank in November
of 1964. At that time the bank had assets of $1,773,248. In 1993
their assets were over $17,000,000. And today their assets are
The Farmers Savings Bank had a part in financing
the Lone Pine Country Club, a lumber yard, subdivisions, city parks,
new fire station, new hardware building, new feed store, Community
Center, gas station expansion, senior citizens housing, sanitary
sewer system, Ed-Co Elementary School, new grocery store, medical
center and more.
This bank has for many years been the
backbone of the community and continues to grow and support
community projects. They now have branch offices in Elkport/Garber,
Strawberry Point and Arlington.
Following is a list of the
Board of Directors since their organization in 1907 to their 100th
Anniversary in 2007.
F.A. Grimes 1907 1911 1914 1928;
R.A. Gull 1907 1926; J.V. Bush 1907 1913; J.S. Merten 1907
1910; F.W. Klaus 1907 1935; C.W. Jacobs 1907; M.W. Lovett 1907 -
1909 1934; W.H. Eppens 1913- 1929; A.W. Rea 1908 1914; P.D. Peck
1915 1922; James Knee 1908 1909 1911-1929; G.A. Dodge 1909 1912
1913 1930 1942; J.P. Bolsinger 1922-1966; F.E. Bush 1926 1964;
J.Wm. Lee 1929 1932; F.C. Wilson 1930 1952; A.G. Gull 1933
1952; Edith Hammond 1934 1964; F.C. Grimes 1936 1969; C.S. Klaus
1943 1964; A.J. Walters 1952 1965; Roland Wessel 1953 1965;
Forrest Grimes 1965 1967; Chance Brown 1965 2006; Robert Wilson
1965 1972; John J. Juergens 1965; Kermit Kuhlman 1967 1972; Paul
Livingston 1969 1999; Marilyn Juergens 1969 present; Gerald
Walters 1972; Lawson Waterman 1978 1983; Lavern Domeyer 1983 ;
Frank Hyde 1984 1991; Tim Juergens 1986 ; Mark White 1998;
Rodger Sear 1994; Reynold Tegeler 1999; Michael Brietbach 2005.