Organized October 26, 1855, with six members, viz., Edson and
Elizabeth Merrill, Ozias P. and Almedia Reeves, John L. and Elmira
The first meetings were held in an unfinished house belonging to
John L. Reeves. July 1, 1859, the church decided to incorporate
according to the Iowa State laws, and on the 12th of July, 1859, the
articles of incorporation were filed with the County Recorder, J.
Bailey, by Ozias P. Reeves, then Church Clerk. The Pastor at that
time was J. Y. Aitchison, and the congregation, consisting of about
thirty-one members, used the old brown school house, which stood on
the site of the present public school building, as a place of
worship. In 1861, in connection with two other denominations, Hubert
Hall, located on the west side of Franklin street, between Main and
Fayette streets, was rented, remaining until 1863, when they
returned to the school house, where they worshiped but for a short
time, when -- the town having sold the building -- they were again
compelled to move. This time, in consideration of a yearly rental of
$200.00, the exclusive use of Thorp's Hall, located on the northeast
corner of Main and Franklin streets, was secured. August 5, 1871,
the Church, in special session, resolved to commence the erection of
a house of worship. John Stewart, A. L. Baldwin and N. L. Whitney
were appointed a Building Committee. At the next regular covenant
meeting, the resolution was concurred in by the Church as a body,
and two more , Edson Merrill and William McIntosh, added to the
Building Committee. A site, costing $300.oo, was selected on
the northeast corner of Butler and Madison streets. The building,
completed in May, 1872, was dedicated to the service of God the
first Sabbath in June, same year, by Rev. N. F. Ravlin.
membership at present (1878) is about 74. The Pastor in charge, who
came in 1876, is Rev. Lucius M. Whiting.
Mission Circle, of the First Baptist Church, organized
February 10, 1875, with eleven members. The following were the first
body of officers, elected for the next ensuing year: Mrs. Sarah F.
Stewart, President; Mrs. W. H. Irvine, Vice President; Miss Mattie
McIntosh, Secretary; Miss Nettie Faller, Treasurer; Mrs. George
Webber, Mrs. Harris, Mrs. Fuller, Mrs. Quackenbush, Solicitors.
Officers for 1878: Mrs. Sarah F. Stewart, President; Mrs. A. T.
Whiting, Vice President; Mrs. Julia E. Brownell, Secretary and
Treasurer; Miss Laura Pacer, Miss Leathermar.
held the second Sabbath of each month in the First Baptist Church;
monthly tea sociables are given by invitations at the houses of
is auxiliary to the Women's Mission Association of the West, whose
object is the procurement of money for the support of lady foreign
missionaries. The amount of funds raised the first year of
organization was $20.10, and for 1878, 24.50. This society is
included in the district of Dubuque, of which Mrs. Sarah F. Stewart
is the Secretary and resident Correspondent.
Ladies' Aid Society,
of the Manchester First Baptist Church, organized as a sewing circle
June 3, 1859, with fifty-one members and the following officers:
Mrs. Reeves, President; Mrs. Grow, Vice President; Mrs. Doggett,
Secretary and Treasurer; Miss E. A. White, Mrs. H. Acres, Mrs.
Hamlin, Managers; Mrs. Baldwin, Mrs. Merrill, Mrs. Hamlin, Visiting
1878: Mrs. J. McIntosh, President; Mrs. A. T. whiting, Vice
President; Mrs. S. F. Stewart, Secretary and Treasurer; Mrs. C. H.
Harris, Mrs. George Webber, Mrs. A. Fuller, Mrs. J. Chaple, Managers
and Visiting Committee.
held at the houses of members, by invitation, once in two weeks.