IAGenWeb logo

Delaware County, Iowa

 

 Biography Directory

E. M. Carr

Lawyer and newspaper Editor

Manchester

 

       E. M. CARR, lawyer and editor of Manchester, Iowa, is a native of Cattaraugus county, N. Y., and was born June 28, 1850. John Carr, his father, was born in County Cavan, Ireland, November 25, 1821, and in 1835 came to America with his parents, who first located in Canada, near Kingston. This voyage caused John to fall in love with a sea-faring life, and, although but a lad of fourteen years of age, he longed to assist the crew at every opportunity in the navigation of the great ship. Even his new home had no charms for him, sufficient to keep him away from salt water, and on the first occasion that offered he availed himself of-it and put off to sea, following it for many years and visiting nearly every country bordering on the great oceans. He rounded Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope and spent some time in Australia and the adjacent islands. His parents having removed from Canada to New York, Mr. Carr, at the breaking out of the Mexican war, enlisted in the United States navy and was assigned to duty on the United States frigate Savannah, but was afterwards transferred to the sloop-of-war Warren. His ship had several engagements with the better class of war ships of the Mexican navy, which were quite powerful, but few in number. Before and after the successful bombardment of Vera Cruz, he, with a number of shipmates, several times volunteered to assist the land forces, and it is a well known fact that the "tars" proved to be an efficient aid to the military, especially in the training of heavy ordnance. At the close of the struggle Mr. Carr returned to the home of his parents, and the year after, on the tenth day of December, 1847, was united in marriage with a highly educated lady, Miss Anna Keane, who bore him ten children, of whom seven are still living, namely-Edward Michael, our subject; Peter, who lives at Lamont, Iowa; Margaret, wife of Henry Thompson, a resident of  Norden, Nebr.; and Joseph, John, James and Ellen, living at Lamont.

      Soon after marrying, John Carr bought a farm near Franklinville, N. Y., on which he resided until the summer of 1856, when he came to Iowa and settled at Lamont, and there, with the exception of a couple of years spent in Manchester, he passed the remainder of his days, which ended August 10, 1887. Mr. Carr had led a strictly temperate life, having never used liquor nor tobacco, a most unusual thing to men who pass many years at sea. He cared nothing for personal enjoyment, in the sense in which the phrase is usually understood, but preferred to use his means and energies in promoting the interests of his adopted country and the pleasures of his family and friends, and  in sustaining those things which he ought to be right. An Irish patriot as well as an American, the wrongs inflicted on his native country were to him as personal grievances, and he was altogether a true type of that sturdy race that has kept alive Ireland's right to nationality through fight that has lasted more than a thousand years. Throughout his whole life he was a most  devout Catholic.

      The mother of E. M. Carr, Mrs. Anna (Keane) Carr, now living at Lamont, was born in the town of Athlone, Ireland, in 1826; is a daughter of Joseph Keane, and is a highly educated lady, having attended an Irish college for eleven years. Joseph Keane, her father, was an English officer, and his son Joseph, a younger brother of Mrs. Carr, was commander for twenty years of the British avenue cutter Euphrates, and his sons are also officers in the British navy, holding rank as captains and lieutenants.

      E. M. Carr, subject proper of this sketch, was brought by his parents to Buchanan county, Iowa, in 1856. Here he received his preliminary education in the common schools, and this was supplemented by an attendance for two years at the high school of Independence, after quitting which he taught school for while. After relinquishing school teaching he entered the University of Iowa, at Iowa City, spent a time in the academic department, then attended the law department, and from this successfully graduated in June, 1872. Coming at once to Manchester, he formed a law partnership with Ray B. Griffin, which lasted three years, following which he practiced alone until July 21, 1884, when he formed a partnership in the law business with Charles E. Bronson, which has been continued till the present time. But this was not the first business connection Mr. Carr had with Mr. Bronson, The Manchester Democrat was established in January, 1875, by a stock company, of which Mr. Carr was secretary, and in which Mr. Bronson was a large shareholder. In April. 1878, Mr. Carr and Mr. Bronson together bought the publication, and together have since continued to issue it, raising its circulation to 1,600 copies. It is a ten-column folio, is all "home print" is published every Wednesday, and is considered to be the best exponent of democratic principles in this section of the state.

      Mr. Carr has always taken a most active part in politics and is a recognized leader of the county and state democracy. For the past twelve years he has been a delegate to nearly every county and state convention held by the democratic party and has been a most able assistant in managing its campaigns. He is looked upon as being one of the shrewdest politicians in the state, and under no circumstances would the managers of the party take a step, even of the slightest importance, in matters relating to his locality without consulting him and taking his advice as to its wisdom and probability of success.

      Mr. Carr is now, and has been for the past ten years, commissioner of insanity. He organized the militia company at Manchester, was for three years its commander, and was appointed, by Governor Gear, judge advocate, with rank of major. He also assisted in organizing the First National Bank of Manchester, of which he is a director and has been since its organization. He has always exerted his best efforts in advancing every project intended for the promotion of the benefit of his town, county and state. With Mr. Bronson he owns four hundred acres of choice land in Coffin's Grove and Richland townships, stocked with thoroughbred and graded cattle and improved with every modern convenience. His industry is untiring and his enterprise without limit, while his standing as a gentleman, lawyer, editor and political manager is unexcelled by any other man of his years in the county or in the state.

     The marriage of Mr. Carr took place October 18, 1873, to Miss Emma Preussner. This lady was born in Cook county, Ill., in 1853, and is now the happy mother of two children-Edward and Hubert.

 

~ Transcribed and submitted by Michael O'Brien ONGGI@ALOHA-STATE.NET