Decatur County, Iowa
Part of the IAGenWeb Project
Decatur Co. Files: This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
Search Decatur County's Site
site search by freefind advanced
Decatur County Town Histories and News Clippings
Decatur County, organized in 1846, was named after Commodore Stephen Decatur Jr. (1779 - 1820), a naval hero during the War of 1812.
Click on thumbnail photo or the link to see an enlarged view of the photograph.
Click on "back button" to return to this webpage.
Bethany Junction a.k.a. Togo, located approximately two miles from Lamoni.
Boothtown a.k.a. El Dorado, located in the eastern part of Hamilton Township.
Bracewell Post office from 1893 to 1903, located in the southern part of Woodland Township.
Burrell Post office from 1893 to 1900, located in the northwestern part of Burrell Township. The Colony early name of Lamoni. Cora appeared on maps of 1887, located in the northwestern part of Fayette Township.
Crown Located on the CB&Q Railroad northeast of Leon on the way to Garden Grove. There was a livestock lading pen and a Crown Chapel located there.
Decatur a.k.a. Decatur City; one of the oldest settlements in the county.
El Dorado a.k.a. Boothtown, appeared on maps of 1885, located in the eastern part of Hamilton Township.
Elk Post office from 1863 to 1900, located in the northestern part of Bloomington Township.
Fierce Post office from 1885 to 1898, located in the southeastern part of Long Creek Township.
Florence Pioneer name of present-day Van Wert; settled in 1853 as Florence, soon after the name was changed to Prairie City, then to Prairieville, and eventually renamed Van Wert.
Franklin Post office from 1854 to 1875, E. B. HALE 1860 postmaster, located in the southeastern corner of Section 2, Center Township.
Funk's Mill a.k.a. Funktown, Post office from 1863 to 1873, located in the northeastern part of Grand River Township.
Funktown a.k.a. Funk's Mill
Garden Grove Located in Garden Grove Township. German Settlement located in Burrell Township approximately one mile northwest of Davis City. Grand River Laid out in 1881, incorporated in 1900, located in Grand River/Richland Township.
Green Valley Post office from 1871 to 1889, located in the southeastern corner of Section 12, Richland Township. Harding early name of Pleasanton, 1883 - 1920. Highbrier appeared on maps of 1887, located in the southern part of Eden Township.
High Point Originally named Paris. Isaac MILLER, 1860 postmaster.
Hungarian Settlement (New Buda) appeared on maps of 1855 to 1857, located in the northeastern part of New Buda Township.
Independence Pioneer name of present-day Leon, settled 1833, soon was renamed South Independence, and renamed Leon in 1855.
Kellerton Town is located in Ringgold County
Lamoni Town platted in 1879 as a church colony, incorporated in 1885, located in Fayette Township.
Leon County seat located in Center Township.
LeRoy Located in Garden Grove Township. Little River Post office from 1875 to 1885, located in the southern part of Eden Township.
Long Creek Post office from 1871 to 1875, located in the the southern part of Long Creek Township.
Milford Town laid out in 1864, abandoned a few years later in favor of Westerville, located in Section 28, Richland Township.
Morgan Post office in 1900, located in the central part of Morgan Township.
New Buda Post office from 1851 to 1875, Geo. POMUTZ 1860 postmaster, 1868 population around 100, located in Section 14, New Buda Township.
Nine Eagles Post office from 1851 to 1869, Allen SCOTT postmaster,located in the western part of Hamilton Township.
Nine Eagles State Park located soutwest of Davis City & north of Pleasanton
Paris appeared on maps of 1850, located in the central part of High Point Township.
High Point's original name, in honor of James PARIS, early settler and owner/operator of Paris' general store.
Patriot Post office from 1871 to 1881, located in the northwest corner of Section 17, Franklin Township.
Pleasant Plain Pioneer name of present-day Pleasanton, town laid out in 1854, name changed to Pleasanton around 1869.
Pleasanton Located in Hamilton County.
Prairie City a former name of present-day Van Wert.
Prairieville a former name of present-day van Wert, James IRVING 1860 postmaster.
Sedgewick Post office from 1867 to 1875, located in the central part of Fayette Township.
South Independence Post office in 1855, former name of present-day Leon.
Spring Valley Post office from 1857 to 1900, Robert BOOTH 1869 postmaster, located in the southeastern part of Hamilton Township, near the Missouri border.
Tennessee Rural community located east of Westerville approximately 2.5 to 3 miles in Richland Township, settlers there came predominately from the State of Tennesse, hence was know at the Tennesse neighborhood.
Terre Haute Post office from 1867 to 1881, once a thriving town located on the Grand River in Section 17 of Burrell Township. Togo a.k.a. Bethany Junction, located approximately two miles from Lamoni. Turkey Run appeared on maps of 1857, located in the northeastern part of Center Township.
Van Wert Originally when settled in 1853 known as Florence, soon after the name was changed to Prairie City, then to Prairieville, and eventually renamed Van Wert, located in Long Creek Township.
Weldon Town laid out in 1880, Located in Franklin Township.
Westerville Post office from 1853 to 1904, located in Richland Township.
Woodland, Woodland Township
SOURCES: MOTT, David C., Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices of Iowa; various town and county histories
Compilation by Sharon R. Becker, July of 2013