Dallas County IAGenWeb


The DeSoto Methodist Society was organized in August of 1868 by Rev. John E. Darby, and was the first religious organization in the new town of DeSoto. For several years the people worshipped in private homes and school houses. In 1872 a fine brick church was built in Block 16, Lots 11 and 12. The building, measuring 60'x34', was built at a cost of $6,000. By 1879 church membership had grown to 110.
Pastors who served this church were:

John E. Darby, 1868-69
William Hestwood, 1870-71
John W. Todd, 1872
Thomas Stuart, 1873-74
William D. Bennett, 1875-76
William F. Bartholomew, 1877-78
David Trenton, 1879-81
George Clammer, 1882-83
James R. Wilborn, 1884-85
William Patterson, 1886-88
Charles J. English, 1889
Benjamin Shea, 1890-91
Edward M. Dugger, 1892-93
Michael Stahl, 1894-96
John L. Johnson, 1897-98
Abram Comey, 1899-01
George Ladd, 1902-03
Carl Brown, 1904-05
Frank L. Watkins, 1906
John Gibson, 1907
Adelbert E. Fouth, 1908-09
Ray E. Harvey, 1910-12
James Davis, 1913-15

Source: from a handwritten note written in 1915 by Rev. James Davis found in a file at Iowa Wesleyan College on Iowa Methodist churches.
Transcribed and contributed anonymously, November 19, 2019

Dallas County IAGenWeb + Dallas County Church Index