Crawford County, Iowa, IAGenWeb


Bertha (Braase) Backhaus (1900 - 1979 )

Bertha Backhaus was born on November 23, 1900, near Schleswig, Iowa, the daughter of Fred and Emma Brinkman Braase. She died on Saturday evening, January 13, 1979 at the Crawford County Memorial Hospital, Denison, Iowa, at the age of 78.

Bertha was raised on a family farm south of Schleswig until 1911 when the family moved to a farm near Mitchell, South Dakota.

On June 23, 1920, Bertha was united in marriage to Richard Backhaus at Mitchell. Together they made their home on a farm near Schleswig. In 1960, they retired and moved to Schleswig.

Richard died in March of 1970. Since that time Bertha has continued to make her home in Schleswig until June of 1978 when she became a resident of Eventide Lutheran Home, Denison, Iowa. Bertha was an active member of the United Church of Christ as well as a member of its Ladies Guild and Dorcas.

In addition to her parents and her husband, Bertha was preceded in death by a son and a daughter in infancy, one brother Otto and a half sister Malinda.

Survivors include, one son Freddie of Schleswig, three grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and one sister, Edna, Mrs. Sam Weller of Mitchell, South Dakota. Also by a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held on Tuesday, January 16, 1979, at 10:30 a. m., at the United Church of Christ, Schleswig. Burial was in the Morgan Cemetery. The Rev. Fred Moore officiated at the services. Serving as pallbearers were Alvin Stockfleth, Emil Petersen, George Luetjens, Burdell Jensen, Henry Braase and Butch Munson.

Transcribed by: Bob Kuehl

Bertha (Timmsen) Bielenberg (1904 - 1979 )

Bertha Bielenberg was born Nov. 13, 1904 at Langstedt, Schleswig Holstein, Germany, the daughter of Henry and Christina Carstens Timrnsen. She died Dec. 22, 1979 at the Odebolt Colonial Manor, Odebolt, Iowa at the age of 75.

Bertha was raised and educated in Germany. She was baptized and later confirmed in the Christian faith in Germany. In 1923 Bertha came to the United States with her brother William, making their home in Clinton. Later they moved to Crawford County making their home near Schleswig.

On July 20, 1927, Bertha was united in marriage to Harry F. Bielenberg at Schleswig. Mr. Bielenberg died in 1964 and Bertha continued to make Schleswig her home. Bertha was a long time member of the United Church of Christ in Schleswig as well as a member of it's Ladies Guild.

In addition to her parents and her husband, she was preceded in death by two brothers, Nick and William and one sister Annie.

Survivors include, one daughter Marcella, Mrs. Charles Noll of Kiron, three granddaughters, Nancy, Mrs. Robert Meyer, Shirley, Mrs. Jim Motto and Lynette, Mrs. Kenneth Schwenn of Kiron and five great grandchildren. Also by one sister Mrs. Catherine Jensen of Schleswig, and other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held Dec. 26 at l0:30 a.m. at the United Church of Christ in Schleswig. Burial was in the Morgan Cemetery near Schleswig. The Rev. Fred Moore officiated at the services. Pallbearers included Herbert Miller, Bruce Hanneman, Harvey Mohr, Milt Wassgren, Gerald Hedstrom and Harvey Wellendorf. Funeral arrangements were made under the direction of the Huebner Funeral Home of Schleswig.

Transcribed by: Bob Kuehl

Bertha (Voss) Atzen (1885 - 1963 )

Bertha Voss was born May 31, 1885 near Berlin, Germany, to Ernest and Rosie Voss, and there she was baptized in the Lutheran church. When she was two years old they came to America and settled near Denison. She was confirmed in the Lutheran church at Denison at the age of 13.

On Feb. 19, 1908 she and Fred Atzen were married at Denison. To this marriage three children were born: Lillian, who is now Mrs. Sigfried Ahrenstorff of Lake Park, Helen, who was Mrs. Ray Timm, who died in 1959, and Melvin, who died in 1931.

Fred and Bertha Atzen moved from Denison in 1912 to Lake Park to a farm inside the Minnesota border. In 1943 they retired to Lake Park where they since have lived. After an illness of five months, she died on May 7, 1963.

Besides her parents, three brothers and two sisters preceded her in death: Martin Voss of Lakefield, Minn., Edward Voss of Sioux Valley Township, Minn., and Fred Voss of Denison, Mrs. Charles Atzen of Lake Park and Edna, who died in infancy.

Surviving are her husband, Fred; her daughter, Mrs. Lillian Ahrenstorff and family; her son-in-law, Ray Timm; her brothers Chris, John and Ernest Voss of Denison, Paul of Schleswig, Emil of Manilla and Roy, address unknown; her sisters, Mrs. Emma (George) Atzen of Round Lake, Minn., Mrs. Ella (Jack) Namanny of Lake Park, Mrs., Minnie (Ed) Paulson of Correctionville, Mrs. Lil (Ben) Boeck of Denison and Mrs. Rosie (Herman) Jurgensen of Denison, and four grandchildren and many other close, friends and relatives.

Funeral services were conducted Friday, May 10 at Concordia Lutheran church in Lake Park. The Leyson Funeral Home was in charge. Rev. W. R. Hamilton officiated. Interment was in Silver Lake cemetery at Lake Park. Pallbearers were Arlo Voss, Robert Hartle, Ray Atz, Marlis Floy and Doug. Ahrenstorff.

Transcribed by: Bob Kuehl

Bertha (Stender) Hinricksen (1892 - 1967 )

Mrs. Bertha (Stender) Hinricksen died Sept. 13 at the Crawford County Memorial hospital after a long illness.

Bertha Wilhelmena Stender, daughter of John Stender and Christine Wedemann Stender was born Jan. 27, 1892 in Schleswig Holstein, Germany and died at the age of 75 years. She was baptized in the Lutheran faith and was a member of the church.

She came to America at the age of three years and lived in Clinton county with her parents until 1902 when the family came west to a farm west of Schleswig, where they farmed until 1905 when they moved to Arion. There they farmed until 1910 when the family moved into Denison.

Bertha was married to Andreas Hinricksen in July 1913. They lived on the family farm in Goodrich township until 1958 when they retired and moved into Denison where she spent her remaining days.

She is survived by her husband, Andreas, two daughters, Helen (Mrs. Ralph Hester), Lavern (Mrs. Vernon Natzel) and one son, Louis, all of Denison. Also nine grandchildren and six great grandchildren, all of Denison, three brothers, Henry, Carl and Rudolph, all of Denison and three sisters, Marie Schroeder, Frieda (Mrs. P. J. Jepsen) and Mary (Mrs. Albert Kral), all of Denison.

She was preceded in death by three grandchildren, three sisters, Emma Schwingdorf, Elizabeth Tucker and Annie and one brother, William.

Funeral services were held at the Lutheran church in Denison on Sept. 16 with Rev. Carl Schmidt in charge of the services. Mrs. Fred Rage was organist and the Lutheran Ladies Choir sang. Pallbearers were John Hinricksen, Louis Segebart, Harold Stender, Raymond Jepsen, Curtis Stender and Johnnie Stender. Interment was made in the Garden of Devotion in the Crawford Heights Memory Gardens at Denison.

Transcribed by: Bob Kuehl

Edgar Robert Barber (1828 - 1902 )

Denison Review - 11-14-1902 - Denison

Good Man Laid to Rest

- Funeral of Edgar Robert Barber of Denison

- Largely attended by sorrowing friends and fellow lodge members

The funeral of Mr. Edgar Robert Barber, whose death was noted in Tuesday Review, took place on Wednesday afternoon before a large congregation of sorrowing relatives and friends and his brethren of the Odd Fellows Lodge. We can pay our tribute of honor to the memory of the deceased in no better way than by quoting in full the eloquent eulogy pronounced by Rev. A. G. Martin on the occasion; Rev. Martyn said:

Mr. Edgar Robert Barber was born at Benson, Vermont, October 5, 1828 and entered into rest at Denison, Iowa, November 10, 1902 age 74 years and 1 month and 5 days; removed with his parents to Junean, Wis. in 1885.

He was married to Miss Eliza J. Livens, Dec. 20, 1865 and to this union was given a daughter and a son, who with the wife and mother survive to mourn an irreparable loss.

Mr. Barber was one of a family of 10 children, of old Puritan ancestry, reared among the granite hills and valleys of Vermont, in the land of steady habits, New England. Of this household one brother and two sisters in Vermont and two sisters in Wisconsin still remain.

In May 1876, 26 years ago, Mr. Barber removed from Wisconsin to Iowa and located on the farm home immediately adjacent to the town of Denison. Here the remainder of his life was spent in the peace and tranquility of an ideal early home. With active industry to employ mind and hands, with crowing serenity of disposition, environed by the sanctified affection of a well ordered and happy family life, his days were joined each to each in sweet continuity and the years passed in deepening joy and strengthening influence for good.

Mr. Barber's character was founded upon the unchanging principles of personal integrity and righteous living. He was upright in all his bearing and rule of conduct. With the sturdy qualities of true manhood were united the greater traits which go so far to sweeten and cement the ties of human friendship. All those who were admitted into the confidence and repose of his inner home life recognized those amiable virtues of genial hospitality, rare humor, kindly converse and sincere friendship which bound his friends to him by indissoluble bonds. He was a man of intelligent thought, candid judgment and considerate action. He was, as far as possible, removed from mere impulse. His convictions went down into the substance of his entire being. The sweet simplicity of his character and the genuine unassuming modesty veiled but did not conceal his true worth.

The home in its benediction of love and service was the blessed haven of his life, thought, affection and plans, hence for many years he mingled but little in social life. There his domestic nature had ample room for the manifestation of tender care and abiding good will. As a neighbor he was obliging and considerate, as a friend, his was the advice of a sagacious judgment and the help of whose wide experience in life was always at the service of those seeking it. Some 48 years ago he became a member of the Fraternal Order of Odd Fellows and ever exemplified the charitable natural virtues for which it stands, friendship, love and truth. Its members are met today also to pay tribute to his memory as a brother beloved and faithful.

Nearly 30 years ago at Junean, Wis., he recognized the paramount claim of God upon his life, character and service and made public profession of his faith in Christ and the Christian religion by union with the Presbyterian church. He subsequently transferred his membership to the Presbyterian church in Denison. True to his natural temperament, he quietly and unobtrusively adorned the doctrine of God his Saviour in all things. From the day of his profession of Christianity, he as a Christian man, cherished and exhibited a strong, clear faith, which ever showed itself in his works. He reverenced God and His word, he had a deep and abiding regard and affection for the church and its worship and prosperity. As health and the infirmities of years permitted, he attended upon the public services of the sanctuary.

How often has the pastor been encouraged by his presence and reverential attitude, quietly seated in his pew and we could but exclaim "the aged head is as a crown of glory if it be found walking in the paths of righteousness." "Mark the perfect man and behold the upright for the end of that man is peace." It is tenderly remembered that when smitten with the premonitory attack of the illness, he was just preparing to start for the church service. The past three months were characterized by the gradual weakening of natures forces, extreme lassitude, paroxysms of suffering, marked evidence of the dissolution of the earthly tabernacle. And yet, amid all so calmly, so bravely, he arose in faith to a hope beyond nature, even to nature's God.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Rockley Barber (1824 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 1-17-1903 - Manilla

Rockley Barber for nearly thirty years one of the most prominent and respected farmers of Crawford county died at his home in Nishnaabotny township last Saturday. Before we quote the well written and richly deserved eulogy pronounced upon his life and deeds by the Manilla Times, we wish to add our own tribute to his memory.

For many years Rockley Barber has stood as an example of the best type of American farmer. Honest, upright, enlightened, sturdy is his manhood. True to every tie of home and society and state. His loving sons and daughters are living monuments to his worth and to the purity of his character. We feel a sense of personal loss in the death of this good man. It is the dissolution of another of those links of pioneer manhood that bind Crawford county to its past and make us glad and content that our lot is cast with such a people. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved ones but know that the memory of his every honorable life must be their richest consolation. The following is from the Manilla Time: It is with a feeling of sadness that we chronicle the passing away from earth of one of Nishnabotny Township's oldest and certainly one of its most respected and beloved residents.

Rockley Barber, who died at his beautiful country home Saturday evening, Jan. 10, 1903 at 10 o'clock, aged 78 years, 5 months and 27 days. He was apparently in the usual health and was about to retire when he was attacked with a severe pain in the stomach. He dressed again and returned to the parlor and though every remedy at the command of loving hands was tried for his relief all was to no avail and he expired after an illness of about an hour. Four years ago Father Barber suffered a stroke of paralysis from which he never fully recovered to which the infirmities of advanced years were added and rest in death came as a happy release.

Rockley Barber was born in England July 14, 1824 and came with his parents to America in 1829. He resided in eastern Pennsylvania until 1854 in which year he was married to Sarah A. Tomlinson. In the same year he removed to Deerfield, Ohio, at which place he lived with the exception of one year in Pennsylvania, until 1871 at which time he came to eastern Iowa, residing there three years, thence to his farm south of town where he first located and where, up to the time of his demise, he has resided.

To this union were born seven children, five of whom with his loving wife weep today for a fathers death. They are: Edward Barber, of Omaha; Greeley E. Barber, of Rawlings, Wyo.; Allen A. Barber, Mrs. Isaac Bird and Mrs. Frank Brown of Manilla, who together with a niece, Miss Anna Cooper of Chicago and friends are deeply overshadowed with sorrow's cloud.

He was one of our pioneers being a resident of this community for twenty-nine years, residing all this time on the farm on which he first located. Any noble minded man exerts great influence over a community outside of the home circle. He was one of the foremost of his day and there were none who have enjoyed a higher degree of respect and esteem among their acquaintances than did Father Barber. That his life was a pure and noble one, no further testimonial need be asked than the splendid family of sons and daughters he leaves to bear his honored name and though friends will miss his kindly ways, is the home which for so many years he presided over with tender care and devotion as husband and father, will his loss be keenly felt though they have the consolation tat he met the cares of this life unflinchingly and now has the triumph of his Christian faith.

Funeral services over the remains were held Wednesday as the home at noon and at the Presbyterian church, of which he was a member, at 7 o'clock conducted by Rev. T. Walter Malcom, both services being largely attended. The remains were laid to rest in the Manilla cemetery. Those from other points who came to pay their last sad rites to the dead were J. W. Mills and wife, Robert Bird of Denison, Anna Cooper of Chicago and Mrs. E. W. Barber of Omaha.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Mrs. Sandlandes Bell (abt. 1812 - 1902 )

Denison Review 6-3-02 - Dow City

Died at the family residence one mile north of Dow City on May 29, 1902, Mrs. Sandlandes Bell, aged 90 years, 5 months and 13 days.

Mrs. Bell, who was familiarly known as "Auntie Bell" came with her husband and family from Scotland in 1855, coming in a sailing ship to New York; from there to St. Louis by rail and from St. Louis to Harrison County by boat up the river. Settling in Crawford in 1856 and was, therefore, one of the pioneer settlers of this county.

The funeral services were conducted on Saturday the 31st by Rev. Houghtlin of Dow City. Seating arrangement had been provided in front of the residence under the shade of some beautiful maples. The pall bearers were from among the early friends in the neighborhood, C. F. Buss, Edmund Howarth, George Rae, William Houston, Martin Conroy and Mr. Munsey, who acted in place of Morris McHenry who was unable to be present. The attendance at the funeral was very large, a long procession following the body to the Dow City cemetery.

In the passing away of "Auntie" Bell a landmark seems to have been removed. Locating in '56 on the place where she has spent her life ever since, the family from that time to the present have been prominent in the development and upbuilding of the county. Throughout all the early years their hospitality was unlimited, their house was always open to the traveler. "Uncle" Bell and the boys were always good entertainers. On their arrival to American some of the older sons were entering upon the strength of young manhood and bent their energies in getting possession and developing some of the choicest lands in the county.

James, the oldest son, was associated with Daniel Howarth, S. J. Comfort and A. D. Maloney in the management of the business of the county in those early days. Robert has served as a member of the board of supervisors, while Henry serves as sheriff, being in his third term. John, who is familiarly known all over as "Jack Bell" was always highly esteemed for the versatility of his wit and the stories he had to relate of his early experiences in America.

"Uncle" Bell predeceased his wife 21 years ago, dying in 1881. James died in 1870, John in '88 and Mary, the only daughter of the family, who was married to Dr. Beastie died after a year of happy married life.

There are five sons remaining, Robert, Ales, Henry, Andrew and George, who have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement. "Auntie" Bells memory will be cherished as one who suffered many of the hardships and privations of those early days as well as for the beautiful character, kindly disposition and friendship shown to all the neighbors for so long a period.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Blanche (Martyn) Bergen (1872 - 1902 )

Denison Review - 10-14-1902

After weeks of great suffering and pain, death quietly and calmly soothed the anguish from the brow of Mrs. Blanche Martyn Bergen on Sunday evening. For a number of days it had been known that there was no hope of recovery, but the brave spirit kept up the unequal struggle and clung to life from day to day. Mrs. Bergen's illness was of six weeks' duration, being an affection of the stomach which was not at first thought to be serious. The symptoms gradually became more and more alarming, for weeks she was unable to take nourishment of any kind and death came as a result of exhaustion and pain.

Mrs. Blanche Martyn Bergen, daughter of Rev. A. G. Martyn, pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Denison, was born in Wilton Junction, Iowa, June 21, 1872, being thus but a little more than thirty years of age at the time of her death. Deprived of a mother's love by accident in which she herself was seriously injured, she became more than ever the object of her father's care and affection. With him she passed the majority of her life.

While her later home was Iowa City, yet for several years she had been identified with Denison by visitation and association. From early youth she had been a communicant in the Presbyterian church and her life was adorned by the graces of the Christian faith and hope. While of a retiring disposition, she endeared herself to a wide circle of friends in Denison who sincerely mourn her untimely death.

She leaves a son, Percy, towards whom our hearts go out in his motherless condition. We pray that the God of the universe will compensate him in some way for the early loss of a mother's love and a mother's guiding care. Services were held in the Presbyterian church on Monday afternoon, Rev. Morphy assisted by Rev. Dr. Emory Miller and Rev. Thomas of Charter Oak. In the evening the remains were taken to the train where the sad party of sorrowing loved ones accompanied them to Shellsburg, Ill. where they will be placed to rest by the side of the beloved mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Martyn, the little son, and Miss Theresia Balske were those who went on the sad mission. Mrs. Bergen was a young woman of estimable character, brave, patient, industrious and true at all times. She leaves a genuine sorrow in the community which is shared by all who knew her.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Thos. Jr. Brown (1861 - 1903 )

Denison review 5-16-1903

Mr. Thos. Brown, Jr. died at his home in Denison Township on Friday, May 15, after a two weeks illness with pneumonia. Funeral services will be held at St. Rose of Lima's church on Sunday, May 17th, at 11 a.m., Rev. M. J. Farrelly officiating.

Mr. Brown was born in Troy, N. Y. in 1861. When four years of age he moved with his parents to Illinois and when he was a lad of sixteen the family moved to this county where they have since resided. Mr. Brown was a convert to the Catholic faith and he was faithful to his church and its teachings.

On Oct. 1888, he was married to Miss Maggie Hughes and to them were born four daughters and three sons, all of whom survive their father. The above is the outline of the life lived by one of our most industrious, honest and capable young farmers. He was tireless in his energy, strong and steadfast in his affections, kindly in his nature, upright and honest in his business, progressive in his ideas and tender and true to those he loved.

He was perhaps the first man to introduce the steam thresher into Crawford County, others thinking it impractical on account of our hills. When he made a success of the steam thresher, others followed his example quickly. Mr. Brown was forehanded, constantly improving his home surroundings and doing all in his power to make happy his aged father and the wife and children who were dependent on him. His death while in the prime of life and with so many dependent upon him for love and care, is peculiarly sad and the stricken loved ones have our fullest sympathy.

His example as a sturdy, upright, industrious, kind-hearted man is one worthy of emulation and it was his own life and deeds that won for him the large circle of friends who now mourn his untimely death. Our hearts go out to the loving wife, the little children and to the father whose later life has been made happy in the success and happiness of his son.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Margaret (Grady) Burke (abt. 1830 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 9-30-1903

Mrs. M. Burke, who was stricken with paralysis the 31st of July, died last Tuesday evening at 7:30 having been sick 54 days. By her death, a once happy home has been deprived of its most cherished treasure, for Mrs. Burke had been always regarded as an exemplary wife and mother, and the mutual love between herself and family has been nothing short of ideal. Hers was a beautiful life of devotion and self sacrifice for those nearest and dearest to her, and the sympathy of the community is meted out unstintingly to them in the affliction which has fallen upon them. Her last words were a loving "goodbye" just before death ensued, to the dear ones left behind.

Margaret Grady was born near the town of Tuam County, Galway, Ireland about 73 years ago. She resided there till after her marriage.

In May 1872 she and her husband came to the United States. They lived at Hudson City, N.J., 1 1/2 years, after which they came west and settled in Crawford County which has since continued to be their home.

Her husband and four sons, Patrick, Edward, Mike and Martin Jr., are left to mourn the loss of their dearest earthly friend. Deceased was a devoted Catholic, having been an adherent of that faith all her life. The funeral was held this Thursday at St. Rose of Lima Church, Denison, conducted by Father Farrelly and the remains interred in the Denison Catholic Cemetery.
Defiance Enterprise.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Carl Carlson (1828 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 6-10-1903

The funeral of Mr. Carl Carlson, father of Mrs. H. A. Norman, was held at the Normandy Hotel on Friday at 10:00 a.m., conducted by Rev. G. E. Morphy. After a brief service, the friends drove to Kiron with the body and the interment was made in the Kiron cemetery.

The deceased gentleman was born in Delarne, Sweden, December 25, 1828, and was married to Sarah Neilson in 1853. Eight children were born of whom only one, Mrs. Norman is now living. Mr. Carlson has been an invalid since the death of his wife in 1894. For the past four years he has not been able to go out of the house, borne his lot with patience, never complaining of loneliness, for his God and his bible were his constant companions.

He was a member of the Baptist Church, having been baptized at Kiron in 1872. After coming to Denison he united with the church here. He died June 4th, 1903, after three weeks illness. He was a good man and a faithful Christian.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Maud (Bryan) Carpenter (1872 - 1902 )

Carpenter, Mrs. Maud Bryan - Denison Review - 9-30-1902

Denison mourns today over the death of two of her most promising and well beloved young people. Both were newly married, both had laid well the foundations for noble and useful lives, both were fitted by natural gifts and disposition to make the world better by their influence and example, both leave many aching hearts. Both of these young people had been raised in Crawford county and were known to all; both had made their own way in life, both had taught the youth of this county and had endeared themselves to parents and pupils alike. One in the strength of young manhood had gone forth to battle against the odds of life and had proved himself valiant and strong, the other had but recently entered into a happy married relation and was the bright center of a loving home.

The death of Mrs. Maud Bryan Carpenter came as a severe shock to all of her friends. They had realized that she was seriously ill but up to the last few hours it was not though that her disease would prove fatal and those who knew her bright and winsome young life, her strong and healthful mode of living, could not believe but that she would survive for many years.

Mrs. Maud Bryan Carpenter, known by so many of Denison's little ones as their teacher, was born in Cerro Gordo, Ill. on July 10, 1872. She came to Iowa with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Bryan, in 1882 and has since that time been a resident of this county. She was a graduate of the Denison High School and after a brief experience in country school, she accepted a position as one of the primary teachers of the Denison public schools. As a teacher her work was of the best. All her pupils learned to love her and she was known by all parents for her tender care of and interest in their little ones. She was anxious to improve continually in her profession and to this end she was not only an incessant student at home but she took advantage of the summer term of the state normal to increase her proficiency.

She was married on Jun 18, 1902 to Mr. Harry A. Carpenter of this city, who has been to her a true and loving husband during the short months of their married life. But shortly after her marriage she became the victim of a prolonged bilious attack which so weakened the vital organs that she died from heart failure on the morning of Sept. 25th.

The funeral services were held on the afternoon of Thursday, Sept. 26 at two o'clock and were attended by a large number of loving and grieving friends. Rev. Bateson, who had officiated at the wedding ceremony in June, returned from his new home in Belvidere, Ill., to officiate at the sad ceremony of her burial and to pronounce with overflowing heart and streaming eyes the eulogy upon the well spent and promising young life.

Mrs. Carpenter was a devout Christian, having united with the Baptist Church at Dow City at the age of twelve. Hers was not a perfunctory belief either in the doctrines of her church or in Christianity as a whole. Her whole life breathed the influence of a glowing, ardent, Christian spirit. She was willing and an eager worker for good, both in the church and in the schools and in the daily walk of life. We can but express our deepest sympathy for the bereaved parents, whose pride she was, for the loving brothers and sisters and for the youthful husband who finds himself on the very threshold of married life, deprived of that entire happiness which comes to man only through the love and tenderness of a good woman. The story of her beautiful life is in itself a benediction not only to herself but to those who served to make that life happier and brighter. Thus have gone from our community two bright, helpful, promising young lives each strong and tender, each surrounded by love and each with the prospect of a long and useful life before them but a few short weeks ago.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

William Gordan Gary (1874 - 1902 )

Denison Review 9-30-1902

William Gordan Gary was born north of Denison, Sept 24, 1874 and moved to Denison with his parents at the age of five years, when he entered the public schools from which he graduated as valedictorian, June 12, 1891, at the age of 16.

After finishing his high school course he entered the Denison Normal School. He graduated from there June 13, 1895. He began teaching seven years ago and held the best certificate in Crawford county the last two years he taught in the county.

For the past year and a half he was employed as principal of the schools at Hornick, Iowa, in Woodbury county, where he graduated a class of four. He then went to Fonda to work during his vacation where he was taken sick with cerebral meningitis, Aug. 13, 1902.

On the 16th of August he was taken to the hospital at Carroll where he remained until August 21st, when he was brought to the home of his parents in Denison where he remained until his death of Sept. 25, 1902 at the age of 28 years and one day. Eight doctors were employed at different times during his illness, all giving his case up as hopeless. During his illness he was taken with tuberculosis after which he failed rapidly. On Sept. 19th he accepted Christ as his Savior and so was prepared to meet Him when he called.

He was married April 15, 1900 to Miss Emma Hoffman of Charter Oak. He leaves a wife and son, Earl Gordon who was born Jan. 7, 1902, to mourn his loss; also his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Gary, five brothers and two sisters.

Gordon Gary possessed in large measure the elements of greatness. He had perseverance, brains, energy, unflagging industry, unfailing honesty and steadfastness of purpose and a pure and wholesome nature. In all of this community we know no young man more worthy of praise. He had decided to make teaching his profession. He taught not as a makeshift until some other channel opened for him, but as one who threw his whole heart into the work. No obstacles of poverty or hardship were allowed to stand in his way.

During the school months he worked with his head and during the vacation months he worked with his hands and it was this long continued, arduous toil to which he finally succumbed. His wife was a true helmet to him and he was exceedingly happy, both as a husband and a father. He was justly the pride of his parents hearts and he strove in every way to deserve their affection. It is indeed hard to realize what good thing can be accomplished in the universal plan of his untimely death.

Had he lived he would have been an influence for good in thousands of lives and so it is his memory will be a blessed heritage to all who know him. For the young and sorrowing widow, for the babe who will never know a father's loving care, for his fond parents and his mourning brothers and sisters we have naught but words of sincerest sympathy and grief.

The funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon, Rev. A. G. Martyn, assisted by Rev. Geo. E. Morphy, officiating. The funeral was largely attended by the many friends of his lifetime and the members of the Modern Woodmen of America, to which Gordon belonged were present in a body. Thus have gone from our community two bright, helpful, promising young lives each strong and tender, each surrounded by love and each with the prospect of a long and useful life before them but a few short weeks ago. The loss to the community and to their loved ones is great indeed.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Nellie (McMahon) Hamlin (abt. 1859 - 1903 )

Denison Review 3-26-1903

On yesterday morning at 10 o'clock occurred the funeral of Mrs. E. E. Hamlin nee McMahon, of Chicago. The funeral occurred at St. Rose of Lima church, Rev. Father M. J. Farrelly officiating. The funeral was attended by a large number of sorrowing friends and relatives.

Mrs. Hamlin, better known in this county as Nellie McMahon, was in her 44th year at the time of her death. She came to this county with her parents in 1876 and was well known both in Denison and in the vicinity.

In 1881 she was married to Mr. E. E. Hamlin and they resided in Odebolt, Iowa until six years ago when they moved to Chicago. Mrs. Hamlin was in Denison but two months ago as a guest of her relatives and of Mrs. T. C. McCarthy. She was at that time apparently in the best of health. It was not known here that she was ill until on Tuesday came the news of her death and the statement that the remains would be brought here for interment. The funeral party arrived here on Wednesday morning and the remains were taken to the home of Mrs. T. C. McCarthy from whose residence the body was taken to the church.

Mrs. Hamlin died on Monday, March 23 of congestion of the lungs. She leaves her husband, Mr. E. E. Hamlin of Chicago; her mother, Mrs. Margaret McMahon, a brother, Michael McMahon, both of this county and a sister, Mrs. J. Kline f Chicago. Mr. Joseph McKinney, Auditor for the American Express at Omaha and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. J. Kline and daughter of Chicago and the bereaved husband were among those from out of town to attend the funeral.

Mrs. Hamlin will be remembered by many here as a bright, industrious and attractive young woman and many are they who will extend their heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved ones in their hour of sorrow.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Hazel (Bruner) Hodges (1886 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 6-24-1903

It is with sadness we record the death of Mrs. Hazel Bruner Hodges, which occurred at the residence of Mr. Albert Helsley in Denison on Friday morning, June 19, 1903.

Mrs. Hodges was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Bruner was born July 8, 1886 at the old homestead of the late S. J. Comfort two miles west of Dow City. About two years ago she removed with her parents to Wyoming.

She was married Thos. Hodges on Oct. 15, 1902. Having been taken sick during the past winter, she came with her mother to Denison in order to obtain more readily the efficient care and skill of surgeons, than could be had where they were living in Wyoming. All the aid that eminent surgeons and doctors of Denison and Carroll could render, was of no avail, even when supplemented by the care and nursing of her mother, who has long been noted in the county for her abilities as a nurse.

It makes the case more sad, as it is only 23 days since the death of her aunt, Mrs. S. M. Woodruff. White we mourn and sympathize with the bereaved friends yet it is a great consolation to be able to say that from a child up she has known the holy scriptures "which is able to make wise unto Salvation." When a child she was baptized by the Rev. Mr. Launch at Dow City at about the age of 10 years she became a member of the Methodist church and during her severe sickness she gave evidence of her faith and trust in God.

The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Denison, Dr. Miller conducting the services. The Pall bearers were G. L. Caswell, E. F. Tucker, B. Brodersen, Chas. Kemming, Sears McHenry and C. L. Voss. Many kind friends followed the remains to the cemetery and much sympathy shown by the community generally.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Margaret Howlett (1841 - 1902 )

Denison Review - 10-14-1902 - Arion

Sunday night at 11 o'clock the life of Mrs. Margaret Samanthe Howlett passed away to the land where there is no care. She was conscious to the end and was ready to meet her God. She was a member of the Christian church, was a devout religious woman and a devoted mother, was a friend to everyone and never had an enemy.

The deceased was born Feb. 26, 1841. She died at age 61 years, 7 months and 17 days.

She was married to Chase Howlett in the year 1860. They lived happily together until death claimed her husband who died Sept 6, 1895.

The deceased was the mother of 12 children of whom eight survive her, also four brothers. One son and daughter live in Washington, two sons in Colorado, one in South Dakota, one in Pennsylvania and two in Arion. They are all married with the exception of Thos and Harry who reside here.

The funeral took place on Tuesday, Oct. 14 at 10 o'clock from the house. The services were conducted by Rev. A. W. McNeel and were very impressive. The floral offerings were fine and a large and sympathizing concourse of people followed the remains to their last resting place. The remains were interred in the Denison cemetery.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Daniel McCarthy (1837 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 9-16-1903

Daniel McCarthy died at his home in Denison on Tuesday, Sept. 8 at 11 p.m. after an illness of six weeks. For the past four weeks his death has been hourly expected and his family has been at his bedside at all times. The cause of his death was Brights disease.

Daniel McCarthy was born at Kilkee, County Claire, Ireland in 1837. When 21 years of age he came to America and settled in Davenport.

In 1873 he was married to Miss Ellen Keane at Big Rock, Iowa and the following year he and his wife moved to Crawford County, settling in Milford Township, where he resided until a year ago the 1st of March when he moved into Denison.

Five children were born, namely, Mary, now Mrs. W. F. Mitchell of Vail, Gertrude, Margaret, Clara and Thomas and they were all at his bedside at the time of his death.

The funeral was held Thursday forenoon at the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Farrelly preaching the sermon. There was a large attendance of friends and relatives followed the remains to their last resting place in the new Catholic cemetery north of town. Those of the relatives from away were Mrs.M. Carey of Omaha and Mr. D. Flack of Springfield, S. D. Only a few weeks ago his brother, Mr. John McCarthy was laid to rest in the same cemetery. Mr. Daniel McCarthy was a quiet, unassuming man, kind to his family and those about him as a man, husband and father. His family has lost a most loving and true father.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

John McCarthy (1833 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 8-19-1903

Died at his home in Denison, Iowa, on Saturday afternoon, August 15, 1903, Mr. John McCarthy, aged seventy years. The cause of his death was pneumonia complicated with heart trouble.

The deceased was born in Kilkee, County Claire, Ireland, in 1833 and came to the United States in 1854, settling at Davenport.

In the year 1857 he was married to Miss Eilen Fitzgerald. To this union six children were born, Mary, now Mrs. D. W. Flack, Thomas H., Patrick H., Anna, Ellen and John. Of the children all survive and were present at the funeral with the exception of John, who being ill was not able to be present. He also leaves three brothers, Michael, who is in Ireland, Daniel and Thomas. His brother Daniel is not expected to live as he is very sick at this writing.

Mr. McCarthy came to this county in 1876 and settled on a farm in Milford Township where he resided until a few years ago when he moved to Denison. Here, he and his estimable wife have resided surrounded by most of their children, Miss Anna and Ellen always remaining at home. He was a man of strong constitution, had never been sick and to the knowledge of his children, had never solicited the services of a physician.

On last Friday he complained of not feeling very well, and for the first time his children sent for a physician who pronounced the patient suffering with pneumonia. Saturday morning he was taken worse and the physician was again called and at two o'clock he passed away. During this time he never lost consciousness and ten minutes before death came he walked across the room. Mr. John McCarthy was a man without enemies, possessed with a loving, tender disposition he always avoided trouble. Once he became your friend he was always a friend. To his loving wife and family of children he gave his every thought and care, and he has gone to his reward knowing that he was loved and that his duty on earth was well done.

The funeral was held at the Catholic Church of which Mr. McCarthy was a devoted member, Rev. Father Farrelly conducting the service. The church was filled with friends of the deceased who came from long distances to pay their respect to the dead. Father Farrelly, in speaking of the deceased called particular attention to his good habits, his devotion to church, his home and family, saying he had lived a good life, and that it was a great consolation to the bereaved wife to know that he was to reap a rich reward. The funeral procession was one of the longest that has passed through Denison in the history of the city, there being one hundred and twelve teams.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Deny (Taft or Teft) McHenry (1824 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 1-12-1903

Deny Taft McHenry, eldest daughter of Jesse and Deny Teft, was born in Exeter, R. I., April 5, 1824. The family moved to Allegany county, New York in 1829 where some of their descendants still reside. At the early age of thirteen years she joined the Seventh Day Baptist church and held continuous membership therein until transferred to the church Triumphant on the morning of January 9, 1903. Sixty-six years of earnest Christian living have left their impress on the lives and characters of all those who came within the circle of her influence.

She was married Nov. 27, 1845 to James Vincent McHenry, an older brother of Morris and W. A. McHenry of Denison and Mrs. W. W. Coon of Arion, at Almond, Allegany county, N. Y. and there spent ten years of their married life, afterwards moving to Rock County, Wis.

In the summer of 1867 they came to Crawford county, Iowa, settling on a farm near Dow City. Mr. McHenry died nearly twelve years ago and she has passed these late years with her son and on the home farm in quiet peaceful, content, surrounded by the watchful care and tender solicitude of children and grand children.

Her three children - Mrs. C. F. Cassady, Mrs. W. W. Jackson and Mr. Frank McHenry - were all privileged to be with her during her short illness and render the kindly services which cheer the weariness of suffering. Conscious of the change awaiting her, she felt no fear, but with the utmost confidence in God's love and mercy, she spoke of her hope for speedy relief, knowing it were far better to be absent from the body and present with the Lord. With those named above she leaves three brothers and a sister to mourn her departure.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Ann Menagh (1831 - 1902 )

Denison Review - 8-12-1902

Death Results from Injuries - Mrs. Menagh died from Burns of three weeks ago - Funeral services at Methodist Church Largely Attended by Many Sorrowing Friends.

The death of Mrs. Ann Mahane Menagh in the early hours of the morning of August 9th, caused deep grief to her many loved ones and friends throughout the community. The columns of the Review told of the frightful accident which occurred to her on July 22nd. Despite the serious nature of her injuries it was thought that she would recover and at time she appeared to be convalescing. The reaction from the intense pain was too much for a constitution enfeebled by age however and she failed rapidly and died on Saturday morning. Mrs. Menagh was a thoroughly good woman and she lived to see all of her sons and daughters leading good and helpful lives. As one of the pioneer women of Denison she had gained the love and confidence of all and the esteem in which she was held was evidenced by the large number who attended the last sad rites at the Methodist Church on Sunday morning. She can have no better epitaph than the lives of those whom she as a Christian mother brought into the world and no more lasting monument than the memory of her devoted Christian life.

Mrs. Ann Mahane Menagh was born in Warrington, County Down, Ireland, in 1831. She was married to Mr. Hugh Menagh in 1851. This union was blessed by the birth of ten children, five of whom died in infancy. She leaves to mourn her death a husband and five children, George, Charles and Hugh Menagh, Mrs. A. D. Randall all of Denison, and Mrs. J. P. Chesney of DeWitt, Neb.

Mr. and Mrs. Menagh came to Crawford county direct from Ireland in 1869 since which time she has been known by all as a devoted wife and mother and a Christian woman beyond reproach or fear. We sincerely sympathize with the loved ones who have thus met with the deep loss of a mother's earthly love but we rejoice with them that they have the assurance that she watches them from on high with love and care and that she will be with them once again on the Resurrection morn.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Franklin Peck Nixon (1856 - 1903 )

Denison Review 5-27-1903

Franklin Peck Nixon was born at Lyons, Clinton Co., January 12th, 1856, died May 20th, 1903, aged forty-seven years, four months and eight days. When a small boy his parents moved to Charlotte, Clinton Co., Iowa, where he lived until seventeen years of age.

In the year 1873 with his parents he moved to Crawford co. where he has since resided. He was married to Laura Bell Varner February 24th, 1880, who with three children, Florence, Guy and Bertha, also an aged father, Mr. L. B. Nixon, a brother, Mr. Taylor Nixon, of Armour, S. Dakota and two sisters, Mrs. R. M. Shirtcliff of Lacombe, Alberta, Canada, and Mrs. E. R. Hall, of Armour, S. Dakota, are left to mourn his loss. Mr. Nixon was a member of the Methodist church for twenty-eight years, having joined the church n Deloit in 1886.

Oh not in cruelty: not in wrath,
The Reaper came that day;
'T'was an angel visited the earth,
And took the flowers away.

The funeral of Mr. Nixon took place Friday, May 22nd, at 3:30 p.m. at the M. E. Church, Rev. F. P. Morgan officiating. The pulpit was nicely dressed in mourning and decorated in flowers, while the casket was covered with flowers placed by loving friends. Mr. Nixon was a much respected citizen of this place and, therefore, had many friends who sympathize with the bereaved ones in their sorrow. The remains were laid to rest in the Deloit cemetery.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

John O'Connor (1820 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 9-3-1903

John O'Connor died at his home in East Boyer Township on last Friday evening at the age of eighty-three years, after an illness of two weeks.

The deceased was born in Pariah of Ferrister, near Dingle county of Kerry Ireland, November 3rd, 1820 and came to American in 1850. He was the eldest son of Mr. Jeremiah and Eleanor (Grady) O'Connor. Being of an ambitious nature and seeking larger fields and better opportunities he came to America.

May 10th, 1860 he was married to Miss Mary O'Connor at Cascade, Iowa and they moved to Crawford County in 1871, settling on a farm in East Boyer Township, where they have lived ever since.

There were born to this union nine children, namely; Maurice, Thomas, Jeremiah, James, John and Michael, and Mrs. Nellie Magner, Mary and Bridget, Mary and John are dead. All the living children with the exception of Maurice live in East Boyer township, Maurice living at Vail. Besides his family of children and wife, four brothers and one sister still survive him, Thomas living at Utica, Illinois; Michael and Jerry of Aurora, Illinois; Patrick of San Antonio, Texas and Mrs. Kate Guheen of VanOrin, Illinois.

Mr. O'Connor had by his untiring efforts and with the aid of his excellent family, made a success of life, coming as he did in the earlier days when the county was yet new, he was able to cultivate and add to his well known farm in East Boyer until he owned one of the finest farms in Crawford county. He was able to see all his children frown to manhood and womanhood and all are making a success in life. To know Mr. O'Connor was to know a man of the very best of character and habits, industrious and careful, kind to his family, always extending a sympathetic hand to those in need, ever doing to others as he would wish to be done by.

The funeral was held on Sunday and was very largely attended, Father Farrelly of St. Rose of Lima Church, celebrating mass and delivering an eloquent address. Interment was made in the old Catholic cemetery two miles east of town.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

John Reynolds (1836 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 7-8-1903

We are pained to chronicle the death of Mr. John Reynolds who died at his home in Dow City on June 30. Mr. Reynolds was for many years a reader of the Review. From the Dow City Enterprise we clip the following obituary.

John Reynolds was born in White County, Ind., March 1, 1836. He was married to Mrs. Caroline Redding at Lafayette, Ind., Sept. 25, 1858. To this union was born five children, four girls and one boy. Two of the girls preceded him to the land of rest.

They remained near the old home in Indiana until September, 1885, when they removed to Dow City where they remained until his death, Tuesday, June 30, 1903. Although in poor health for a long time and a great sufferer during the last few days, yet he was patient with it all. He leaves a widow, three children, two sisters and one brother to mourn the loss of a kind husband, loving father and honorable citizen.

Mr. Reynolds enlisted in the service of his country February, 1865 and served until the close of the war. He was 67 years and 4 months of age. The funeral took place from the M. E. church in Dow City, July 2nd at 3:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. E. E. Goodrich. The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Thomas Shillington (1817 - 1903 )

Denison Review 3-19-1903

The old settlers of the vicinity of Dow City and in Denison will be interested in the death of Mr. Thomas Shillington that occurred at Mason City on Sunday last, March 15. He came to the vicinity of Dow City in 1872 and settled on a farm. The family lived on a farm at Dunlap or Dow City until 1881, when they came to Denison. He engaged in business at the depot store and uptown until retiring on account of old age.

Since the death of his wife in October 1894 he has made his home with his daughters. The last four years he was at the home of his daughter Mrs. Chas. K. Meyers in Mason City.

Mr. Shillington was a remarkable man. He was born in Ireland, Sept. 28, 1817. When but two years old his family settled at Goulborne, Ontario, Canada and were therefore among the early settlers. He grew up used to the hardships of backwoods life, the living was plain and the work hard and this developed in him a strong man physically and so was able to live until 85 years of age, at all times able to help himself, having but few serious illnesses until the last. It is often said of the Great Lincoln that he was the stronger man mentally because he had few books to read in his youth and these he mastered well. With Mr. Shillington the holy bible was the book of all books. He believed every word inspired and could repeat chapter after chapter with accuracy.

He possessed one volume of Dr. Clark's grand sermons and these he enjoyed to peruse following with delight the master mind. Many of these sermons he knew well. His parents were Methodists and their home in the early days was the headquarters for the missionaries who came to preach in the church which adjoined the homestead. There he grew up in an intense religious atmosphere which was woven in every fiber of his character. Great worldly riches did not come to him in the raising of two large families but he has treasure laid up in heaven where moth does not corrupt. His Christian character was as a Gibraltar rock, unmovable his walk among his fellow men upright, dictated by the fear of God and a judgment which was nearly unerring. Mr. Shillington was a man with friends. He was a bright talker, a student of human nature and his conversation was ever interesting and pleasing. His broad face had a smile for his friends and he was a favorite with all who knew him.

Mr. Shillington was married when 24 years old to Miss Caroline Lawrence at Prescott, Canada. Nine children were born to them, seven of whom are yet living; John Shillington of Sydney, Australia, Mrs. Sophia Graham of Chicago, James of Loudon, Canada,; Mrs. Barbara Smith of Manitoba; Mrs. Maggie McCarthy of Thaesford, Canada; Mrs. Carolina Wright of Manteno, Ill. ; and Mrs. Eliza Brown of Arcona, Canada.

His first wife died March 22, 1859. In June 1865 he was remarried to Mrs. Alvina Morphy Guest: To them four children were born, Mrs. Minnie Foss now of Salida , Col., Mrs. Emma Meyers of Mason City who still survive and William and Harry beside whose bodies in the Denison cemetery the father was laid to rest. His second wife died Oct. 4, 1894 and near her he now finds final burial place.

The funeral was held Wednesday at the Baptist church. The sermon was delivered by Rev. Morphy who is a nephew of the late Mrs. Alvina Shillington. Rev. Miller delivered the payer. The pall bearers were his old friends John L. Richardson, J. M. Potter, J. L. McClellan, John A. Vanwinkle, J. L. Warbasee, R. B. Morrow. Many were the floral tributes to his worth given by friends at Mason City and Denison. It was touching to see the old time acquaintances take a last look at the dear old face. The casket was accompanied from Mason City by Mr. and Mrs. Chas. K. Meyers and Mrs. Sophia Graham his eldest daughter from Chicago. He had fought a good fight, kept the faith and wears the crown.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

John Short (1827 - 1903 )

Denison Review 4-25-1903

In relation to the life history of Mr. John Short, whose funeral took place at Vail on Friday, we quote from the History of Crawford, Ida and Sac Counties. This book was published in 1893 and contains biographical sketcher of many of the prominent citizens of that day. Speaking of Mr. Short, the History says:

John Short, proprietor of the flour mill and grain elevator at Vail, Crawford county, Iowa, a native of Scotland, born near Edinburgh in 1827, a son of Adam and Elizabeth (Scott) Short, also natives of that country. The subject of this sketch worked for some years in his father's mills and acquired a thorough knowledge of the milling business.

In 1851 he emigrated to Canada and the following year settled in Melville, Peel County, Ontario, where he built a sawmill and an oatmeal mill, both of which he operated successfully until 1857, when he sold out at a handsome profit and removed to London, Ontario, intending to retire from business. Naturally industrious and accustomed to active pursuits, he could not long content himself to live in comparative idleness. He therefore, remained but a short time in London, removing thence to Embro, Oxford County, Ontario, where he purchased a site on which he built a flour mill and again engaged in his favorite occupation. He soon established a reputation for the excellence of his work and did an increasing and profitable business for about eleven years.

Soon after his arrival in Embro, he was elected Reeve of the village and was re-elected to the same position for ten consecutive years and he discharged his duties as member of the County Council with marked ability and the entire satisfaction of his constituents. He was also appointed a magistrate by the Premeir and for a number of years held her Majesty's commission as Justice of the Peace. In the summer of 1868 Mr. Short sold out his business at Embro, preparatory to removing west. Before leaving the place, the citizens of the village and county gave him a complimentary entertainment, in appreciation of his worth as a private citizen, business man and public official.

On leaving Canada Mr. Short came west with the intention of going to California. Stopping at Boone, Iowa for a time, he became acquainted with Messrs. Knight and Smith, prominent millers of that place and was induced by them to remain at Boone and superintend their milling business, which he did for eight or nine years. Leaving Boone, he settled in Vail, where he engaged in milling, buying and shipping grain. He did the most extensive grain business in this part of the state, having an annual trade of upward of $100,000. The officials of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad have made the statement that he shipped more grain over their road than any other man in Iowa.

Mr. Short was married in Scotland in 1851 to Miss Margaret Mather, a daughter of a prominent farmer near Edinburg. He leaves five children, Adam Short of Vail, John Short, Mrs. John Thompson and Mrs. Frank Lewis of Omaha and Margaret Short of Vail. Politically Mr. Short was independent; religiously a Presbyterian and a liberal supported of the church. A man of strong personality, enterprising and public spirited, firm in his convictions of right and wrong and a useful and highly respected citizen.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

James Smyth (1822 - 1903 )

Denison Review - 7-8-1903 - Denison

Mr. James Smith for nearly forty years an honored citizen of Denison and vicinity, died at his home on Saturday last after some weeks of severe illness.

Mr. Smyth was of Scottish descent and was born April 12th, 1822 at White Abbey near the city of Belfast, Ireland and was 81 years 2 months and 23 days of age.

In 1851 he came to America, locating at St. Charles, Illinois, Near Pontiac. He visited Iowa in 1864 and the next spring with his brother, Samuel, located his permanent home on the large farm in East Boyer adjacent to the city limits. For fifteen years past he has resided in the city, spending in quietude and peace his declining years among his relatives and old pioneer friends.

Mr. Smyth was a man of most excellent Christian character; honest and industrious guided by right principles and every promoted by the most kindly impulses. In his relations to all he was the soul of honor and integrity. Quiet in his demeanor, he had a pleasant smile and cordial greeting for all. His aged presence among his friends was ever a benediction.

Mr. Smyth was reared in a Christian home and from his youth was a communicant in the Presbyterian church. He was one of the charter members of the Presbyterian church at Denison at its organization thirty-two years ago and was chosen its first ruling Elder. He had loved the church and ever sought its peace and prosperity. His attendance was constant on the services of the sanctuary and he honored God's day and God's word. His life was guided by religious faith and his departure was in the triumphs of Christian hope. At evening time there was light even in the dark vale of the shadow, while the rod and staff of the Divine grace was vouchsafed in the aged pilgrim.

The funeral obsequies were held Monday afternoon at the Presbyterian Church, conducted by his pastor, Rev. A. G. Martyn, who paid well deserved tribute to the life and memory of this good man whose loss is so sincerely mourned. The attendance of relatives, neighbors and friends was large and the services of an impressive character. The sympathy of our community will go forth peculiarly to the surviving brother, Mr. Samuel Smith, who for over seventy years had walked by his side in the pilgrimage of life; never being separated and to the families of his nephews, the Luney brothers, who will so deeply miss "Uncle James".

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell

Andrew Stewart (? - 1902 )

Denison Review 12-16-1902

The funeral obsequies of the lamented Andrew Stewart were held at the Presbyterian church Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock and notwithstanding the severe snow storm raging without the large church was crowded with the gathered audience. It was a spontaneous and touching tribute to manly nobility and true excellence of character. His brethren of Dowdall Lodge "Knights of Pythias" and Hawkeye Camp "Woodmen of the World" were present in a body, as well as the members of the Presbyterian Christian Endeavor Society.

His pastor, Rev. A. G. Marty, who had been so intimately associated with the deceased for nearly eight years paid a loving and fitting tribute to his life and memory. He spoke of the mystery of the sad providence that so suddenly cut down and removed from the ranks of the living a young man so fully equipped with the essentials of manly character upon the threshold of earnest manhood. Our only solace is in the Divine compensations to be found in the integrity of the life that he lived - a bright and noble example of devotion to God and consecration to His Service, the influence of a Christian character with its uplifting and beneficent power. His entire life was a constant witness for truth and the right. He had a mind of high natural intelligence cultured by extensive reading, thought and travel. He had extensive knowledge of God's word as given in the Holy Scriptures and his character was anchored in the eternal principles of righteousness and truth.

Courteous and companionable, he knit to himself as with hoops of steel a friendship among his acquaintance. He had a retentive memory and from his storehouse he could often recall many gems of poetry and prose, so that it was a pleasure and profit to converse with him upon literary themes and matters of general intelligence. The fraternal societies often enjoyed and received the stimulus of the efforts of his speech and pen. This was all the more marked by reason of his genuine unassuming modesty. But in a high degree the crown of all thee natural and acquired gifts as a young man were the strength and savor of his consecrated and faithful Christian life. A child of covenant consecration, he was trained in the knowledge of Christian faith in a Christian home and very early took upon himself the vows of God's service and united with the Presbyterian Church of which he was a most faithful member and communicant.

He witnessed a good confession of his faith in every department of Christian activity, being steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord. The pastor spoke fully of his efficient helpfulness in the work of the kingdom as a teacher in the Sabbath school, as member and president of the Christian Endeavor Society, as a helper in the worship of the prayer service. The spiritual motto of his life was the text so often quoted by him, "Where withal shall a young man cleanse his ways? By taking heed hereto according to thy word." Every impulse and inspiration of his life were loyal to the demands of Christ and the Church. His was a symmetrical character in moral excellence and Christian grace.

He was in every way a model young man, an example in character and life conduct worthy of the earnest emulation by the scores of young with whom he was associated in this community. His rule of action was the unerring guide of Christian integrity. His last illness with attendant extreme suffering at times was endured with Christian fortitude, though little thinking that the end of mortal life had come, yet like a faithful sentinel at the post of duty pursuing his steadfast round, his light was burning and he was ready for his Lord's coming and call. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, he had been translated from the limitations of earth to the abundant welcome among the spirits of the just made perfect. The gain is his, the great loss is ours. We are infinitely poorer by reason of the absence of his loved and honored presence from our midst.

How can we fittingly speak of this loss when our mutual grief is so poignant? How our thoughts go out to the father and brothers beyond the seas when the sad tidings shall come to them, as well as the bereft brother here with him. In diversified form it brings crushing irreparable grief and sorrow to the loved family circle with . . . many ways he had so long been identified and to one of whose members.

Miss Jennie Rollins, a most estimable young lady of the highest type of true womanly character, he was betrothed by the holiest ties of affection, enshrining most sacredly the ideal thought of future hearthstone and happiness in the journey of life. The profoundest emotions of tender sympathy are extended to her in the lonely vigils of a desolation too great for words to express. What an entailment of bereavement comes to the church in which be so long found a Christian home and an active sphere for Christian living and labor! How can such an earnest Christian young man be spared from the depleted ranks! And we may well ask upon whose shoulders will his mantle of Christian living fall?

And then the fraternal societies of Pythians and Woodmen are here present to pay loving tribute to a brother beloved whose life exemplified every philanthropic virtue and inspired emulation in every thing that bespoke true manhood and the uplifting of humanity. He rests from his labors and his works do follow him, wherefore, comfort yourselves with these words. Appropriate hymns were rendered by the church choir, and the floral emblems and offerings from friends and from the Pythian s, Woodmen and Christian Endeavor societies were beautiful and expressive of loving remembrance of the blessed dead. The interment at the Oakland cemetery was particularly pathetic as the loved ones clustered around the open grave and the brethren of the mystic orders sang most touchingly songs full of the resurrection hope typified by the beautiful sprays of evergreen that symbolize immortality. Sacred by his memory.

Transcribed by: Melba McDowell