Marriages in Crawford County
1855 - 1865
The following was found in the 1911 History of Crawford County regarding events of 1895. A list of early marriages in Crawford was published in August of 1895. The author provided that published list. The following was his preamble to the list.
"In August a list of the early marriages in Crawford were published and as we believe they will still be of interest we insert the list then given.
"As will be seen the records were not kept in a complete form at that early date. It was then not compulsory by law to record the marriages. Only those that were reported were placed on record. Between Dec. 25, 1856 and Dec. 30, 1857, there was a lapse of over a year in which none were recorded.
"Below is a list of the parties united in marriage and the date of their marriage.
- Samuel Kennedy to Mary Haworth, Sept. 15, 1855.
- David M. Hall to Sarah Jane Kenedy, May 15, 1856.
- Tracy Chapman to Celinda Dunham, November 6, 1856.
- Henry Richardson to Martha Mowry, Dec. 25, 1856.
- Jacob West to Margaret Manners, Dec. 30, 1857.
- ***John Burrel to Anna Hattery, April 25, 1885.
- Jacob H. Munson to Adaline Goodrich, Aug. 15, 1858.
- Alexander Perkins to Nancy Rice, Oct. 29, 1858.
- Wm. McKim to Almeda Darling, Dec. 24, 1858.
- Morris McHenry to Mary L. Comfort, Dec. 25, 1859.
- John Purdy to Ellen Bassett, Dec. 25, 1859.
- Matthis Betts to Margaret Brown, November 6, 1859.
- Byron C. Adams to Almiro Carrico, Oct. 13, 1859.
- Edward S. Plimpton to Selina J. Bond, Oct. 12, 1859.
- E. G. Stockbridge to Lucy Ann Kinney, March 3, 1859.
- Robert Bell to Ellen McColl, April 28, 1860.
- Geo. Johnson to Maria Gilbreath, Sept. 23, 1860.
- Albert Cheshire to Elizabeth Graham, Oct. 18, 1860.
- Abel W. Jordan to Mary Parmer, Dec. 3, 1861.
- Hugh McWilliams to Jane Graham, Jan. 30, 1862.
- Albert F. Bond to Emma R. King, Feb. 9, 1861.
- S. P. Gardner to Lucinda Herriman, June 3, 1861.
- Chester M. Hamilton to Lydia Ferry, July 4, 1861.
- Sidney Rudd to Eliza Jane Hancock, April 14, 1856.
- Jas. Hattery to Hannah Trann, Dec. 8, 1861.
- Edmund Howarth to Sabrina Wood, July 6, 1862.
- Wm. McWilliams to Angeline Gilbreath, July 27, 1863.
- John B. Morehead to Mary Kennedy, Dec. 6, 1863.
- Sidney Rudd to Mary Prather, Nov. 13, 1864.
- S. W. Slater to Sarah Winans, March 16, 1865.
- Benjamin Stevens to Rose Ann Gray, Feb. 18, 1864.
- Jos. H. Woodruff to Sarah M. Comfort, Dec. 7, 1865.
- *** Our Note:This could be an error in the year recording.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa, Vol. II., 1911. S. J. Clarke Publishing, Chicago