Crawford County, Iowa, IAGenWeb

Death Announcements

Sachua, Jacob (1917)

Denison Review, Wednesday, June 6, 1917 - Deloit

The death of one of our townsmen, Mr. Jacob Sachau was a shock to neighbors and friends. Only a week before, his smiling face was seen upon our street and Saturday he was taken to the Denison hospital where all that kind friends and medical aid could do was done for him but Thursday morning the sad news was brought that he had passed into the great beyond.

One brother from East Moline, Ill., one sister living close in Charter Oak, all sons and daughters were present at the funeral which was held at the house at one o'clock Saturday. The pall bearers were Simon Kruse, Chris Groth, Julian Johannsen, Broder Boysen, Chris Nissen, Louis Hyde, all old neighbors of his. He was laid to rest in the Nissen cemetery.

He leaves to mourn his wife and 4 daughters and 5 sons, John G., who resides in Deloit, Henry and Fred who reside at Moville, Hans in Nebraska, August stays with his sister, Mrs. Angie Thoms in Goodrich Township, Mrs. Ada Bauman near Schleswig, Mrs. Emma Koenck who lives near Boyer, Mrs. Mary Dethlefsen at Hardan, Mont. The dear ones have the sympathy of their friends. Mr. Sachau will be greatly missed in and around Deloit.

Sachau, Jurgen (1911)

Denison Review 10-25-1911
Meets Death on the Railroad - Jurgen Sachau, Well-Known Over the County, Killed at Crossing Near Denison Saturday Night - Funeral was held Tuesday - Unfortunate Man Leaves Wife and Eight Children to Mourn His Death - All Present at Funeral.

The community was startled by the report Saturday night that Jurgen Sachau, a resident of this city, had been struck and killed by an engine on the Chicago & Northwestern railway at the McHenry crossing just west of the city. It was but a short time until the report was confirmed and it was known that an accident had occurred at the crossing which resulted in his death.

Mr. Sachau for some time has been engaged in peddling fish in the country and on Saturday, as usual, he was west and south of town selling and delivering his product. It was while he was returning home at the close of his day's work and while attempting to cross the railroad at the McHenry farm that passenger train No. 16, from the west, due here at 7:23 struck his buggy, knocking it to pieces and throwing him some distance at the side of the track, causing instant death. It seems a miracle that the horse escaped without injury to speak of, coming on to town with the shafts of the buggy to which was attached one wheel.

It is said the train crew knew nothing of the accident until the train reached the station when the attention of the engineer was called to the fact that there was a portion of a buggy on the cowcatcher. The section men and others were sent down the track and made the discovery. The boy, which was afterwards brought to town, was discovered lying at the east side of the highway on the cattle guard.

Jurgen Frederich Sachau was born December 8, 1842, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany and was united in marriage in 1867 to Magdalena Gasper. (rest of obit. Missing but you can get this Oct. 25, 1911 Denison Review microfilm- entire write up is on front page.)

Schleswig Leader - October 27, 1911
Jurgen Sachau, the old fish peddler of Denison, was struck by the North Western flyer on a crossing west of Denison last Saturday and killed.

Sachau, Jacob (1917)

Denison Bulletin, Wed. June 6, 1917
The funeral of Jacob Sachau was held from the residence Saturday at 1 pm. Rev Witter of Denison officiating. The funeral was largely attended. Mr. Sachau lived in Crawford County a great many years and was known by all of the old settlers. For a number of years, he lived on a farm, but as age crept on he bought a place in Deloit, where he and his wife lived every since. The burial took place in the Mission Cemetery.

Saggau, Hans Henry (1909)

Denison Bulletin
(as published in the Schleswig Leader, Sept. 10, 1909)
Hans Henry, the aged father of Martin and Johannes Saggau of Denison, died at the home of the latter Tuesday evening at five o'clock.

The old gentleman had been ill for some time, and the old age lent its aid to his final summons.

Mr. Saggau was born in Germany 74 years ago and came to America with his family in 1872. In 1876 they came to Crawford county and settled northeast of Denison where the family made their home all these years and prospered and thrived.

Funeral service was held Thursday afternoon at one o'clock at the German Lutheran church.

Sander, Mrs. John (1909)

Denison Review 1-6-1909 - Deloit
Mrs. John Sander died at her home in Deloit Monday evening, Jan. 4th, after less than one week's illness. Mr. and Mrs. Sander purchased the Margaret Hunt place about two years ago and were very comfortably situated. It is very sad indeed that their home should so soon be broken. Mrs. Sander was one of the best of neighbors and will be greatly missed. The bereft ones have the sympathy of all in their bereavement. The funeral will occur Thursday forenoon. Their daughter, Mrs. Bertha Hohenstein and other relatives are expected to come from Minnesota. Rev. Freese of the Denison Lutheran church will conduct the service.

Sanders, Blanche (1907)

Dow City Enterprise 4-19-1907
Blanche Sanders, the seven year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Sanders, who live near Charter Oak, died of appendicitis and will be buried in the Dow City cemetery today. She was the granddaughter of Thos. Hodkin.

Scheldorf, Tillie (1917)

Denison Review, June 20, 1917 - West Side
Miss Tillie Scheldorf died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alfred Brockman, at Carroll, Saturday night. The funeral was held Tuesday.

Schoenjahn, Mrs. Henry (1908)

Denison Review 6-17-1908

Mrs. Henry Schoenjahn died at her home near West Side on June 9, 1908 after a lingering illness. Several months ago she underwent an operation and seemed to be doing well for a time but gained strength slowly and it soon became apparent that another operation would be necessary. This was performed June 7 by Dr. Allison of Omaha but she was not able to rally from the affects of the operation and passed away on Tuesday morning, June 9.

Mrs. Schoenjahn was born in Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, December 3, 1856, being 54 years of age at the time of her death. She was married to Henry Schoenjahn in Bryant, Iowa in 1873. Eight children were born to this union, five of whom are still living.

The relatives left to mourn the loss of a loved one are her husband, Henry Schoenjahn, sons, Adolph, Chas., J.Fay and Harold of West Side and Theodore of Mapleton, Iowa. Her mother, Mrs. M. Gradert of Bryant, Iowa; four brothers, Louis, Otto, Carl of Bryant, Iowa and Gustav of Lyons, Iowa; two sister, Mrs. Chris Naeve of Bryant and Mrs. Eugene Hansen of Mitchell, S. Dak.

She also leaves a wide circle of close friends in and around West Side. Funeral services were held at the home Thursday afternoon, Rev. Hu.... Of Breda, Iowa officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the West Side cemetery. The many friends of the family sympathize deeply with them in their sore bereavement.

Schooley, Mr. (1894)

Denison Review 11-14-1894 - Deloit
Mr. Schooley, father of Geo. M. Schooley, died Sunday night, last, at the home of the latter; caused by a stroke of paralysis. Mr. S. was upwards of 70 years of age.

Schroeder, H. C. (1911)

Schleswig Leader - July 14, 1911


The angel of death was in our midst this week and took away one of the most prominent men of this community, Hon. H. C. Schroeder. Deceased had been a sufferer from Brights Disease for the past six months or more. Everything had been done in the hopes of effecting a cure, but it was not to be. He was taken to a hospital in Chicago about a month ago, but secured no help.

Deceased was aged 56 years. He had been a member of the Iowa Legislature for several terms, and was a man who was looked up to and respected by all who knew him.

Funeral services will be held at the house at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 16. The Leader extends the sympathy to the bereaved relatives in their sad hour of affliction. A complete obiturary will be published next week.

Schroeder, Hans (1912)

Schleswig Leader - Sept 5, 1912
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schroeder received a mesage Sunday afternoon announcing the dearh of Mr. Schroeder's brother, Hans Schroeder, near Charlotte, Iowa. They left immediately to attend the funeral.

Schuman, Nick (1893)

Denison Review 9-27-1893 - Vail
One of the largest funerals ever witnessed in this county took place at the Hayes township cemetery last Friday. Over 130 vehicles followed the remains of the late Nick Schuman, who died at his home Wednesday, Sept. 20, at the age fifty-four years.

Scott, Mrs. William (1895)

Denison Review 3-20-1895 - Arion
Mrs. Wm. Scott of Paradise twp. Died very suddenly last Thursday. The funeral services were held in Dow City. Sympathy is extended to the bereaved parents.

Denison Review 3-20-1895

Among those who attended the funeral services of Mrs. Scott were Mr. and Mrs. F. Gibson, Mr. and Mrs. Walters, Mr. and Mrs. , Mrs. G. Schafer, C. K. Lillie, Theresa Schafer, Mr. and Mrs. , Mr. and Mrs. Schouten, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Rule and May Harper. The bereaved family have the sympathy of this entire community.

Gone before us, O, our Mother.
To the spirit land!
Vainly look we for another,
In her place to stand.

Dear is the spot where Christians sleep,
And sweet the strains that pour,
O! Why should we in anguish weep.
She is not lost, but gone before.

Scott, Donald Joseph (1908)

Denison Review 6-1908
Died Saturday afternoon, Donald Joseph, infant son of J. A. Scott and wife, aged 8 months and 11 days. The funeral services were conducted at the home by Rev. Curtis and the little one lad to rest in the Dow City cemetery Sunday afternoon. He was the only child and a sweet bright baby. All extend their sympathy to the bereaved parents. Our people have taken much interest in this case and there is much regret that the life of the babe could not have been spared.

Slater, Solomon W. (1906)

Denison Review 3-1-1906
A Pioneer Citizen Dead
One of Crawford's Most Respected Farmers Passed Away This Morning

Solomon W. Slater, died at his home in East Boyer Township of pneumonia, March 1st at 2:30 a.m. after an illness of about 10 days. Funeral services will be held at the home Saturday, March 3rd at 11 a.m.

We regret that at this time we are unable to print an extended obituary. Mr. Slater was one of our oldest and most respected citizens and he will be mourned by a large circle of friends. said, " Of such is in the kingdom of Heaven. "

Sleeper, Mrs. Ellen (Goodell) (1899)

Denison Review, Friday, 10-13-1899

At the home of William Goodrich in Denison, on Tuesday, Oct. 10th, 1899, Mrs. Ellen A. Sleeper.

The deceased maiden name was Ellen A. Goodell and she was born in East Newark, Vermont, July 20, 1849, and was 50 years of age at the time of her death.

In May, 1863 she was married to Mr. A. A. Sleeper, and in the year of 1868, together with her husband, came west, settling in Hanover township in 1874, where she has since resided. About a year ago she began failing and removed to Denison to enable her to be near medical aid and for some past has been making her home with Mr. and Mrs. William Goodrich.

The deceased leaves an only sister and one son to mourn her loss. The funeral sermon was preached at the Goodrich residence by Rev. Bateson and interment took place at Oakland cemetery on Thursday.

Smith, Mrs. Eliza J. (1900)

Denison Review, Friday, 4-2-1900 - West Side

We have just learned of the death of Ms. Eliza J. Smith, which occurred at eight o'clock last evening in this city. The deceased has been very low all this week and on account of her old age, being nearly eighty years old, her recovery was considered very doubtful.

She was a widow, her husband, John Smith, having died about five years ago and since that time she has resided with her daughters, Mrs. John Mooney and Mrs. J. Butler, being at the home of the latter at the time of her death. The funeral services will be held in the M. E. church at 10 A.M. Sunday.

Smith, Jas. (1894)

Denison Review 11-14-1894 - Vail
Coroner Clough was called from Denison Friday to hold an inquest over the body of late Jas. Smith, the 17 year old son of Mrs. Louis Ebson, who was found unconscious near our depot last Saturday night. The jury brought in a verdict that deceased came to his death by jumping off a through freight train passing this station. The head seemed the only injured part of the body, as no other marks could be found. The young man remained unconscious up to the hour of his death.

Smith, Mrs. Sid (1895)

Denison Review 1-16-1895
Mrs. Sid Smith died quite suddenly Sunday morning after a few attacks of epileptic fits. She leaves a husband and four children to mourn her loss. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. S. Wright at the M. E. church Tuesday at 12 o'clock. The bereaved ones have the heartfelt sympathy of a host of friends.

Snell, Mrs. Ed (1907)

Denison Review 3-27-1907
We were quite surprised to receive the news of the death of Mrs. Ed. Snell over the phone Monday. She died Monday about noon, quite suddenly. She has been in poor health for some time. The funeral will be held from the home Wednesday afternoon and the burial will be in the Denison cemetery. The bereaved family have the sympathy of all in their sorrow.

Snell, E. R. (1912)

Denison Review 2-14-1912 - Deloit
Again our neighborhood is over-shadowed with sorrow, as the sad news of the sudden death Sunday evening of our old friend and neighbor, E. R. Snell, was dispatched from Schaller, where he had gone to attend the dedication of a church on Sunday and visit relatives. A brother, H. N. Snell, and family and his daughter, Bertha and husband, resided there. He attended church at Deloit and at present was the superintendent of the M. E. Sunday school. His remains reached Deloit Monday afternoon. We have not heard when the funeral will take place.

Schaller Herald-15 Feb 1912
Sudden Summons of E.R. Snell.

An unfortunate ending to what had been a splendid day, was the death of Mr. E. R. Snell, of Denison, Sunday evening who, with his wife and daughter, was visiting at the home of his brother, H.N. Snell, and participating in the ceremonies incident to the dedication of the Methodist church.

Mr. and Mrs. Snell were at the church in attendance upon the evening service. When meeting was about half over Mr. Snell remarked to his wife that he was feeling sick and believed he would go home. They got up and passed out of the room and as they were descending the steps in the lobby, and when near the bottom, Mr. Snell was seen to stagger, and before he could be caught fell to the floor and died within a few moments. He was carried into the parsonage and a physician summoned, but he had passed beyond all earthly aid.

The body was then taken to the home of his brother and prepared for shipment for his home at Denison, and it was taken there Monday afternoon, accompanied by his grief stricken wife and daughters, Miss Virgie, and Mrs. Allen McLaughlin, and Mr. McLaughlin and J.B. Dakin. Mr. and Mrs. H. N. Snell and Miss Snell went down yesterday to attend the funeral, which was to be held today.

Sopher (1912)

Denison Review 6-5-1912
Grandma Sopher died Wednesday at the home of her daughter, Ms. Fred Davis. Mrs. Sopher has been ill for a long time and on account of her age could not recover. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. McMillan of the Methodist church. The remains were laid to rest in the Charter Oak cemetery.

Staley, Beatrice

Charter Oak - January 21, 1930
Beatrice, the nine year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Staley died Tuesday morning in Sioux City. She had been sick for only a week and her death comes as a real shock to this community.
Services will be held on Thursday morning at the Catholic church in Ute with Father McGuire officiating, and she will be laid to rest in St. Boniface cemetery.

Staley, Infant (1920)

Charter Oak, January 2, 1920
Apparently Well and Strong, Sick Only Three Hours
Like a rumble of thunder from a clear sky came the death angel to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Staley, taking the first born while seemingly in perfect health and strength. No one was ever prouder of the first girl than were Mr. and Mrs. Staley, and the little sojourner seemed perfectly content to remain with them. It was a large, strong baby, and seemed to be in the best of health. Then it was taken sick, and in only three hours it lay in its young mother's arm.

Staley, Mark (1915)

Charter Oak - Dec 24, 1915
Mark Staley Dead
A telegram to O.J. Staley last week told that his eldest son, Mark, had died at the latter's home at Burke, S.D., last Friday. Particulars of his death are very meagre. A card from his wife told that he had been sick a couple of days, but there seemed to be no alarm felt. Then a telegram said he was very sick and another told that he was paralyzed. Upon receipt of the first telegram Mr. Staley and two of his sons, Charles and Asa, started to the bedside of the sick boy, but they arrived too late. The word of his death had already been dispatched to Charter Oak.

Mark Staley was born on the farm near Charter Oak, April 25, 1887. He made his home here until he was married six years ago, when he went with his wife's people to seek a fortune in the new country west of the river in South Dakota. The home was made at Burke. On the 24th of November, 1909, he was married to Miss Mary Gaestel, who survives him. To them four children were born and this little family he had to leave behind when the scythe of the grim reaper caught him.

The funeral was held Monday in Burke and interment was made there. Mr. Staley and the boys are expected home tonight.

Steffen, Fritz (1910)

October 28, 1910, Schleswig Leader
Word was received here Thursday morning from Ute announcing the death of Fritz Steffen of that place. The funeral will be held Saturday at the Charter Oak cemetery at 1 p.m.

Steffen, Emma (1911)

February 10, 1911, Schleswig Leader
Mrs. Fred Schultz and Henry Suckstorf and wife went to Bloomfield, Nebraska, Wednesday to attend the funeral of Emma Steffen.

Steffers, Mrs. John (1912)

Schleswig Leader - May 3, 1912
Emil Boock and wife and Ernst Boock and wife were called to West Side last Thursday to attend the funeral of their aunt, Mrs. John Steffers.

Stevens, Mrs. Harriet (1894)

Denison Review 4-4-1894 - Charter Oak
Mrs. Harriet Stevens who has been very sick for over fourteen weeks, died Sunday morning at 11 a. m. Her remains were shipped to Tipton on Monday evening for burial. Rev. Fegtley preached a funeral sermon at the house at 3 p.m.

Stoltenberg (1912)

Schleswig Leader - November 28, 1912
E. Stoltenberg was called to Davenport Tuesday on account of the death of his mother, who died on Monday. The deepest sympathy of all is extended to Mr. Stoltenberg in the loss of his mother.

Stone, Joseph (1894)

Denison Review 9-19-1894 - Vail
Last Monday occurred the funeral of the late Joseph Stone who died of heart disease the day previous at the age of seventy six. Deceased resided in this county for over sixteen years and during all this time he won the esteem and friendship of his neighbors who are grievously afflicted by his sudden death.

Streeter, Clara (1894)

Denison Review 8-8-1894 - Deloit
Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Streeter mourn the loss of their baby Clara, aged seven months. It died July 28, 1894, and was taken to the Denison cemetery for interment. The funeral services were conducted at the house by Rev. G. L. Griggs. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the entire community.

Strohbehn, F. (1900)

Denison Review, Friday, 5-11-1900
On Monday occurred the death of Mr. F. Strohbehn at his home near Manilla after an illness of several months. Burial took place at the Manilla cemetery on Wednesday. Mr. Strohbehn was one of our most highly respected citizens and leaves a host of friends to mourn his loss. The sorrowing relatives have the sincere sympathy of all in their hour of bereavement.

Stubbe, John (1885)

Denison Review 10-2-1885
Mr. John Stubbe died at his home near the depot on Wednesday last of typhoid fever. He was a man well liked by those who knew him. His wife, who was sick in Davenport, returned Thursday afternoon.

Sundstrom (1894)

Denison Review 3-28-1894 - Kiron
We have just been informed of the death of Mr. Sundstrom who has been very low with consumption for some time past.

Swatman, Mrs. Eliza (1895)

Denison Review 7-31-1895 - Dow City
Died - Mrs. Eliza Swatman, mother of T. W. Swatman of Dow City, aged 84 years. Mrs. Swatman came here about three weeks ago to visit her son. She had been in good health and on Monday evening went to bed feeling as well as ever. About 12 o'clock she was taken sick and died at 1:15. Her remains were sent to Sidney for interment.

Sachra, Benjamin (1901)

Denison Review - March 19, 1901 - Manilla
The death of two of Manilla's highly respected citizens, Benjamin Sachra and Wm. Parkins, occurred last Wednesday morning. The funeral services were held Friday at the M. E. church, Rev. Bradford officiating.

Sarachon, Margaret (1901)

Denison Review - November 5, 1901 - Denison

Died, at her home in Denison on Sunday, Nov. 3rd, at 10:30 p.m., Mrs. Margaret Sarachon at the age of 74 years, 5 months and 7 days. Mrs. Sarachon was born near Montreal, Canada, May 27, 1827.

She was married to Wm. Sarachon at Champlaine, N. Y. in 1849 at which place they lived until 1879, when they moved near Logan, Ia., where after a few years Mr. Sarachon died. Mrs. Sarachon has lived with her daughters in Denison for the past six years. She was a devoted member of the Catholic Church, a loving mother and kind friend.

Six children were born, four of whom survive her, Mrs. White of Portland, Oregon, Mrs. Mullen of Denison and Rose and Elizabeth Sarachon of Denison. The funeral will be held at St. Rose of Lima Church at 10:30 Wednesday morning, after which the remains will be taken to Magnolia on the afternoon train for burial.

Saunders, infant (1901)

Denison Review - February 22, 1901 - Manilla
The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Saunders died last Monday night of lung fever and the funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Bradford officiating.

Schmadke, Mrs. John (1901)

Denison Review - February 5, 1901
On Friday, February 1st, occurred the death of Mrs. John Schmadke of Hanover Township, the cause of her death being lung fever. Mr. Schmadke was born in Jackson County, Iowa in 1867, being 33 years of age at the time of her death. A husband and seven children are left to mourn her loss.

Schoening, John T. F. (1901)

Denison Review - December 24, 1901
Died, Dec. 14, Mr. John T. F. Schoening. Born Nov. 7, 1858 in Lehman, Holstein. Died 16th of heart failure and dropsy. Aged 43 years, one month and seven days. Relatives, wife, three children, three stepchildren and one sister. Rev. Lothringer officiated at the house and grave.

Schuler, John P. (1903)

Denison Review - November 25, 1903
Dies Very Suddenly
Mr. J. P. Schuler, of the People's Store Passes Away
Apoplexy cause of death
Dies within 24 hours and his remains taken to Dubuque for Burial.
Gloom Case Over Community.

On Thursday last at 11:30 a.m. Mr. John P. Schuler, owner of the People's Store in Denison, died at his store, from apoplexy or the bursting of a blood vessel in the brain. He was stricken on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. and never regained consciousness. There was present at the time of his death one sister, Mrs. M. Juoker of Dubuque and the employees of the store and the physicians. The remains were taken to Dubuque on Thursday night for burial.

On Wednesday Mr. Schuler and Miss Stone. the head saleslady of the store, went out to lunch at about half past one and after returning to the store, Mr. Schuler sat down upon the counter. Soon after those in the store noticed that he was not acting just as usual and Miss Stone spoke to him and asked him if he was ill. He replied that he was not, but immediately placed his hand up to his left eye. The eye suddenly became inflamed and he started up the stairs at the rear of the storeroom and upon reaching the first landing reeled and fell backwards. Assistance ran to him and he was carried up to his office and placed in a chair. It required the combined assistance of all those present to keep him in the chair while medical aid was summoned.

Upon the arrival of Dr. Wright the patient was placed upon a cot and another physician, Dr. Carr, was sent for. They worked with him all of Wednesday night and Thursday forenoon but without avail, he never became conscious. At one time Wednesday evening the physicians were hopeful but as time wore on they gave up all hopes of his recovery. His sister at Dubuque was sent for and arrived Thursday morning. Mr. J. R. Berkson, a former employee came out from Chicago and accompanied the remains to Dubuque along with the sister and Miss Stone.

Mr. Schuler had only celebrated the third anniversary of the opening of his Denison store on the 13th of November and had remarked that he would like to celebrate many more such anniversaries, as the past year had been one of the best in the history of the store. It does not seem possible that in so short a time from the anniversary that he has been taken away. The deceased was very popular in Denison and surrounding country. He had built up a good business, carried a nice fresh stock and was considered one of the best buyers in Denison. Since Mr. Berkson's removal to Chicago, Mr. Schuler has taken active management of the store and was always to be found at his post of duty, where he was accommodating and willing to show his goods whether to purchaser or not.

He will be greatly missed in business circles as well as social events. With the young men he was especially popular and counted everyone his friend. He was a member of the Catholic church and attended services regularly. An escort comprising a representative from nearly every business house in Denison accompanied the casket to the Illinois Central depot, the pallbearers being Messrs. E. C. Petersen, W. M. McLennan, Sears McHenry, Harry Mann, Frank Leahy and E. F. Tucker.

John P. Schuler was born in Dubuque, Iowa and was thirty-eight years of age on the 12th day of last May. He had spent the greater portion of his life in the city of Dubuque, where he became engaged in the general merchandise business at his maturity. He leaves his aged mother, one brother and four sisters to mourn his death. He was a member of the Forresters Lodge and this society had charge of the funeral, their members acting as pallbearers in Dubuque, where the funeral took place on Saturday at 9 o'clock. The attendance at the funeral was very large and the floral offerings very beautiful.

Scott, infant (1901)

Denison Review - January 11, 1901
The Review failed to chronicle the hours of pain and joy and sorrow that came to the household of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Scott on the twenty-ninth of last month. A beautiful twelve pound son was born to them and they rejoiced that he would be a companion for their little girl. He was not destined to be with them long however, and after but a few short hours of this life the Heavenly Father called him home. We profoundly sympathize with the parents in their grief.

Shaw, D. W. (1903)

Denison Review - December 2, 1903
Death of D. W. Shaw
Dies at His Home in Manilla on Saturday, November 28
Nervous Prostration Cause of Death
Was Taken Ill the later Part of October and has been confined to his house since.
His Death a shock to all.

Mr. D. W. Shaw, president of the Manilla National Bank, died at his home in Manilla on Saturday morning, November 28, 1903, nervous prostration being the cause of death.

The funeral was held on Monday afternoon at the Methodist church in Manilla and interment was made in the cemetery just north of Manilla. The church was crowded to overflowing with sympathizing friends and members of the different orders to which he belonged. The Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows turning out in a body. The pall bearers were selected from the ranks of both of these orders. The floral offerings were many and very beautiful. A very touching and sympathetic sermon was delivered, many good qualities of the deceased, his love for home and loved ones, his loyalty to his friends, his strict business integrity and his love for children.

Some time during the latter part of October, Mr. Shaw was taken ill but it was not until recently that he was considered seriously ill. The past week or ten days he had failed and, notwithstanding the best of medical aid was given him, death came as a relief to his suffering. He leaves a loving wife, one son and one daughter and one brother, Hon. Leslie M. Shaw to mourn his death. Mr. L. M. Shaw and Mrs. Shaw arrived from Washington on Sunday evening to attend the funeral.

Mr. D. W. Shaw was born in Vermont in the year 1858. He came to Crawford and in the early eighties was cashier of the Crawford County Bank. In 1885 the Bank of Manilla was organized and Mr. Shaw removed to Manilla where he has resided ever since. In 1888 he was made president of the bank. He built up a very lucrative business and was considered a very able business man. As showing the esteem in which he was held by his business associates, every business house in Manilla was closed during his funeral and all turned out to pay their last respects to a friend and fellow citizen. A number of Denison friends drove over and were in attendance at the services. The bereaved ones have the heartfelt sympathy of the community in the hour of sorrow.

Shaw Van, Winifred (1901)

Denison Review - August 13, 1901
Winifred, the little babe of Mr. and Mrs. R. Shaw Van succumbed to cholera infantum on Wednesday night. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Martyn at the home on Thursday and were attended by many sorrowing friends of the family. The sympathy of the community is extended to the sorrowing parents.

Short, Mrs. John (1901)

Denison Review - December 20, 1901
The funeral of Mrs. John Short, who died at Denison Sunday, was held in Vail Thursday from the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Thomson at 10:30 a.m., Rev. Martin officiating. She with her husband were early settlers of Vail and leaves a large number of friends to mourn her departure.

Smith, Maria (Randall) (1901)

Denison Review - 5-3-1901

On Tuesday at Manilla occurred the death of Mrs. Chas. Smith, wife of C. R. Smith, lately of Denison and a sister of the Randall boys of this place. The deceased was only sick about three days, having had an attack of measles and her death was a great shock to her relatives and friends. And this is especially so to the husband and children who are left without a mother's care. Two of the children are sick with measles and a third one is coming down. Mrs. Randall, the deceased's mother is also quite sick.

Mrs. Smith was the mother of four children, the eldest being twelve years old and the youngest 18 months. She was a noble mother, always seeing to it that her children were well taken care of before thinking of self. During hours of adversity she was cheerful and always on the bright side. Burial will be had at Defiance, her old home. The father and children have the sympathy of the community in this their hour of trial.

In speaking of the death, the Defiance Enterprise says: Maria Randall was born in Wisconsin, August 30th, 1866, moved to this community in 1869 and lived here until grown up and married in 1887 to C. R. Smith. Was converted under the preaching of Elder Rowe and was by him baptized in 1891. Owing to the nature of the disease no public funeral will be held at the present time, but a short service will be held at the grave at 3 o'clock this afternoon at the Defiance cemetery, where interment will be made.

Stang, Henry (1901)

Denison Review - January 29, 1901
Henry Stang, a prosperous and highly respected farmer, living south of Vail, died last Friday and the funeral services were held Sunday at the house, interment being made in the Denison cemetery.

Steffan, John (1901)

Denison Review - March 26, 1901 - Manilla
John Steffen, who was accidentally shot by his brother last Tuesday, died Saturday morning at Omaha, where he was taken to have an operation performed and the remains were brought to this place Saturday evening. The funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the home of his sister, Mrs. Tompkins.

Stiissi, Mrs. Herman (1901)

Denison Review - August 20, 1901

On Monday forenoon, Mrs. Herman Stiissi was fatally burned by gasoline. Exactly in what manner it occurred is not known as she was alone at the time and was unable to give any coherent account afterward. It would appear that she was attempting to fill a gasoline stove while it was still lighted and that in some way she became covered with the burning fluid. The first that was known she rushed screaming from her house to her nearest neighbors, Mr. W. D. Luneys. She was completely wrapped in flames and a perfect trail of fire followed her as she ran. With great presence of mind, Mr. Luney quickly wrapped a quilt about her and extinguished the flames.

She was taken to the home of a neighbor and though everything possible was done for her, she lived but three hours after the fearful accident. She was conscious almost up to the moment of her death although she suffered intense agony. Mr. Stiissi is engineer on the pile driver for the Northwestern and was at work near Vail. Word was sent him as speedily as possible but he was not able to reach his wife until about five minutes before she died. Mr. Stiisi and his wife moved here about six months ago and during their short stay had made many friends.

Mrs. Stiisi was a woman of about 27 years of age and they had one child, a little boy aged two. The loss to the stricken husband and to the little son is inexpressible and the heart of the community is wrung with grief for them.

This morning the remains were taken to Mrs. Stiisi's former home in Chicago for burial. At the time of the accident the house also caught fire and an alarm was turned in but the blaze was extinguished even before the arrival of the fire company. The accident was so similar in many ways to that which happened to Mrs. J. B. Romans but little more than a year ago that the community was doubly impressed with its awful character.

Stoll, Carl Alfred Augustus (1897)

Denison Review - April 28, 1897
Baby Carl Alfred Augustus Stoll was born Aug. 24, 1896 and died at 4:30 o'clock April 23, 1897 at the age of 8 months lacking one day. The immediate cause of the little one's death was congestion of the brain brought on by a prolonged and severe spell of teething. His suffering had been so severe that for some weeks he was subject to extreme nervous attacks followed by spasms which at last used up the life blood. The sudden calling forth of this sweet pure little life was a sudden shock to everyone and cast a shadow of sorrow over every home who knew the bright, playful little one. The funeral was held in the Catholic Church, Sunday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Father Farrelly conducting the ceremonies, after which the little body was taken to the new Catholic cemetery and laid in its last resting place, followed by a large concourse of sympathizing friends. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Stoll.

Sweede, Grandpa (1901)

Denison Review - June 4, 1901 - Kiron
Mr. Grandpa Sweede died at his home northeast of Kiron on Thursday last and was buried in the Kiron cemetery on Friday forenoon. A number of friends gathered to follow the remains to their last resting place. We are sorry that we are unable to give age and other information of this old resident who has gone to join many of the old settlers of this locality.

Talcott, Don (1918)

Denison Review - May 29, 1918 - Arion Items

News of the death of Dr. Don Talcott at his home at Crofton, Neb. after a short but severe attack of pneumonia reached here Sunday morning, causing the deepest sorrow to the family and to many friends.

Don was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. V. Talcott, who were well known residents of this county. After graduating at the Dow City high school, he went to the Denison Normal college where he will be remembered as a good student and a keen and witty debater. From there he went to study medicine at the State university. After finishing the course at Iowa City, he went to Crofton, Neb. and began to practice with his brother Dr. J. M. Talcott.

Since then his visits home have been few for he has devoted himself to his profession, risking his life to save that of a patient in a flooded cabin or as certainly by overwork. Of a generous disposition, no appeal was made to him without a response. A convincing speaker, he used his talent untiringly for the Red Cross. He took a post graduate course in New York, was worshipful master of the Masonic lodge and president of the district medical association for several years. Many mourn the loss of this life of achievement and of promise cut short.

Dow City Items - The sad news reached here Monday that Dr. Don Talcott had passed away in a Sioux City hospital, his death being caused by pneumonia. The deceased was well known here, having been born and reared to manhood in this vicinity.

Talcott, Martin (1874)

Denison Review 7-8-1874
Death of Uncle Martin Talcott
On Friday, July 3rd, while the preparation for the celebration were going on, the people of Dowville were startled to hear of the sudden death of Uncle Martin Talcott. His sudden death was caused by neuralgia of the heart, and was the means of throwing a gloom over death was caused by neuralgia of the heart, and was the means of throwing a gloom over the whole community. Uncle Martin was one of our old settlers, and was respected by all who knew him. He was a man of no ordinary intelligence, a great reader and one of the most honorable, opponents we ever met. We never met him without he had a smile on his countenance and his hand was always ready for a hearty shake.

The family and connections of Uncle Talcott are probably the most numerous of any family in Crawford County: at the last family gathering, upwards of sixty met together at the old home. He was in his 69 year, and but for his affectation of the heart, he might have lived many years longer. Uncle Martin was ever ready to help the suffering and destitute. May his numerous descendants follow his example and make his life their model.

His mission is done, well and faithfully done,
And he rests from his labors of life;
While we mourn for him now there shines on his brown,
A crown in the heaven above.

Taylor (1912)

Denison Review 10-9-1912 - Deloit
Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor had the misfortune to lose an infant babe the first of the week.
Denison Review 10-9-1912 - Goodrich
John Taylor and wife buried their infant babe in the Deloit cemetery on Tuesday.

Thiedman (1909)

Denison Review , April 7, 1909 - West Side
The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Thiedman died last Tuesday of bronchial trouble. The parents have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement.

Thomas (1893)

Denison Review 9-20-1893 - Kenwood
U. S. Thomas and wife lost their darling babe Saturday morning. It was buried at Denison, Sunday. They have the sympathy of their many friends in their sad bereavement.

Thompson, William (1909)

Denison Review, Wednesday, May 5, 1909
Father and Son Killed by Train
William Thompson and Little Boy Dead in Dunlap
They Drove Onto the Track
Accident at Depot Platform
Father Leaves Widow and Two Grown Children

Dunlap, Iowa - William Thompson, a farmer who lived seven miles northwest of Dunlap, aged 60 years and his son, aged 12, were run over and instantly killed by the Northwestern fast mail, No. 15, westbound, about 3 o'clock this afternoon. The accident occurred within about seven hundred feet of the railroad station in Dunlap and was witnessed by a number of people who were on the depot platform.

Thompson and his son had been in Dunlap and had started home, riding in a tup carriage. Evidently they had forgotten something, as they had turned about after cresting the railroad and were returning to town when killed. The horses, which had crossed the track, were uninjured. The carriage was directly in the past of the train and was literally demolished. When people reached Thompson and his son, which was in a few minutes, both were dead. Their necks were broken and they were otherwise frightfully injured. It is believed that neither of the occupants of the carriage saw or heard the train approaching.

An inquest will be held tomorrow. The trainsmen have been summoned. Thompson leaves a widow and two grown children.

Timmsen, infant (1909 )

Schleswig Leader, November 19, 1909
The week old baby boy of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Timmsen of this vicinity died Monday.

Turner, Ed (1901)

The Peabody Gazette, Peabody, Kansas, Thursday, Nov. 28, 1901
Died - In Topeka, Thursday, Nov. 21st, after a short illness with typhoid fever, Ed Turner, aged 39 years.

The deceased leaves a wife and five children, the eldest of whom, a little girl, is at present sick with typhoid fever at the home of her mother's brother, Jesse Hopper in this city.

The remains were brought from Topeka Saturday morning and taken to the home of his father, Jas. Turner, north of town, where at three o'clock that afternoon short funeral services were held, J. W. Tavenner of the Baptist church reading the scripture and offering prayer. The interment was in Prairie Lawn cemetery.

Turner, Maud (1890)

Denison Review 1-29-1890 - Deloit
Miss Maud Turner, daughter of James Turner, of Milford township, departed this life on Saturday night of erysipelas in the head. Miss Turner was a bright young lady and one of Deloit's successful teachers. Both of these young people (referring to Thaddus Whiting) will be sadly missed from their large circle of friends, as they were both general favorites. These deaths following so close on the melancholy demise of Mrs. C. F. Myers, who was one of the brightest ladies in Deloit, case a gloom over this whole community which will not soon pass away.

Denison Review 4-30-1890
The funeral services of Miss Maude Turner will take place at the Saints chapel, Deloit, on Sunday, May 1, beginning at 11 o'clock A.M. The services will be conducted by Elder Charles Derry of Magnolia.

Tarpy, infant (1901)

Denison Review - September 10, 1901 - Vail
The 5 mo. old child of Mr. and Mrs. Thom Tarpy of Botna, died Friday and the remains brought to Vail Sunday and buried in the St. Ann's cemetery. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of many friends.

Tempest, D. (1901)

Denison Review - December 3, 1901
D. Tempest died suddenly Sunday of heart failure. He took dinner as usual and was resting in a chair when he suddenly expired. He was a resident of Crawford County for some twenty years and for many years has been in the hardware and implement business. He was a sober, quiet and high respected old gentleman and honest in all his dealings. He leaves four children, Mrs. John DeWolf of Chicago, Mrs. Dr. Coburn of Salt Lake City and George and Alfred of Vail. The funeral will be held Tuesday from the Presbyterian Church.

Thiesen, child (1901)

Denison Review - April 30, 1901

The home of Mr. Hans Thiesen, living three miles east of Denison, was greatly saddened last Saturday by the accidental scalding of their little three year old daughter. The mother was cleaning house and had a pail of hot water standing on the floor. The little one, wishing a drink, went to the pail on the table and after drinking stepped back and fell into the bucket of scalding water. The poor child was horribly burned on her body. A physician was immediately summoned and did all in his power for her but on Sunday she died at 12 o'clock p.m.

It is indeed sad for the bereaved parents; the mother will always reproach herself that she had not been more careful. It is so easy for a child to fall into a pail sitting on the floor. Almost daily in glancing through the dailies one reads of similar accidents. A child never realizes the danger until it is too late and parents should be ever mindful in their watch over their children. Mr. and Mrs. Thiesen have the sympathy of many friends in their loss and have the one happy thought that while their loved one is taken from them, there is an angel in heaven ever waiting for one everlasting, loving motherly embrace.

Tiernan, Mrs. M. A. (1901)

Denison Review - February 1, 1901
The funeral of Mrs. M. A. Tiernan took place at St. Rose of Lima church on Thursday afternoon. A large number of friends and relatives were present from all parts of the county and many floral remembrances beautified the church.

Tiernan, Margaret (1901)

Denison Review - January 29, 1901
We learn this afternoon of the death of Mrs. Margaret Tiernan, which occurred at the home of her son-in-law, Mr. Wm. Buss of Union Township, this morning at eleven o'clock. Mrs. Tiernan was about fifty-five years of age and leaves four children, Mrs. F. J. Branaka of Denison, Ms. Will Buss of Union Township, Mrs. W. R. Roseberry of Des Moines and Luke Tiernan of this county. The cause of her death was lung trouble and she has been a sufferer for several years past. Mrs. Branaka left for Dow City last night and was with her mother when she died. No arrangements for the funeral have as yet been made.

Timm, Fred John Carl (1901)

Denison Review - November 15, 1901
Died November 12, at Denison at the age of 72 years, 7 mos and 8 days of asthma and old age, Mr. Fred John Carl Timm, born April 4, 1829 at Dersmau Amt Wittenberg, Mecklenberg Scherwin, Germany, was buried at Denison, Ia on November 14th, Rev. F. Lothringer officiating. The funeral services were held at the Lutheran Church and interment was made at the Oakland cemetery. Mr. Timm leaves a wife, a daughter, an adopted daughter and four grandchildren. He came to America in 1866. His second wife who now survives him was Mrs. Budde and they were married Nov. 10, 1899. Mr. Timm had many friends within his circle of acquaintanceship and was a good and worthy man.

Treat, Nellie Strong (1901)

Denison Review - June 25, 1901
News reaches us as we go to press that Mrs. Nellie Treat formerly Nellie Strong, died in Chicago yesterday. Pneumonia was the cause of her death. The remains will be brought to Denison for burial, the funeral taking place in the Baptist church on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Ullrich, Mrs. Bert (January 4, 1898)

Denison Review 1-7-1898 - Charter Oak
Died at her home north of town on January 4, 1898 of consumption, Mrs. Bert Ullrich. The funeral services were held in the Catholic church on Thursday at 10 A.M.

Unsworth, Mrs. Jas (1900)

Denison Review, Tuesday, March 20, 1900
Our little village was shocked by the announcement of the death of Mrs. Jas. Unsworth Saturday night. Mrs. Unsworth was a general favorite with everyone who knew her and her untimely death has cast a gloom over the whole community.

Vanderwall, Infant (1917)

Denison Review, Wednesday, Feb. 28, 1917 - Deloit
The infant babe at the Vanderwall home was taken suddenly sick on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning providence bore the little spirit to its home. This was quite a sad parting as it have been in the kind motherly care of Mrs. Vanderwall for about four months and all had learned to love the little bud of promise with that tender love one has for a pure innocent babe. A few words of prayer and song were held at the home by the Baptist minister of Denison who, in company with the undertaker, bore the body to Crawford county farm for burial.

Vogt (1907)

Dow City Enterprise 3-22-1907
A son of Fritz Vogt who lives in the north part of the county, died of lock jaw recently caused by getting his hand hurt in a corn sheller.

VonDohren, Marla (1912)

Schleswig Leader - April 26, 1912
The death of Mrs. Marla VonDohren of Ida Grove occurred at Chicago Saturday, she being there on a visit. The funeral was held Tuesday at Ida Grove. The deceased was 61 years old and had many friends and acquaintances in this vicinity. Relatives from near here who attended the funeral were: John, Alfred, Henry and William Schmidt and Mrs. Minnie Naeve.

Vore, John (1909)

Denison Review 10-29-1909
Uncle Edmund Howorth went to Logan last Friday to the funeral of an old friend, John Vore.

Voss, Mrs. Martha (1893)

Denison Review 12-20-1893 - Vail
Last Monday Mrs. Martha Voss died at her home in Milford township, of cancer of the stomach. The remains were buried at the Vail cemetery the following day. Five sons and two daughters mourn the loss of a loving mother.

Voss, Castens (1894)

Denison Review 12-12-1894 - Vail
Mr. Castens Voss, a German farmer, father of a grown up family, committed suicide last Sunday morning. He was a well-to-do farmer, owning 320 acres of land in Hays township. Mr. Clough, the coroner held an inquest. The coroner's jury was Bud Keane, T. M. Ratchford and Mr. Baker. The facts showed that Mr. Voss went into a grove and discharged a revolver into his temple, the ball piercing the skull and brain. He died instantly. It is believed - from acts which seemed trivial then - but which in the light of this event subsequently canvassed showed, that he had become, through ill health, melancholic and partially deranged. He had a large circle of friends who deplore this rash and almost unaccountable act of self-destruction.

Volkmann, child (1899)

Denison Review - October 20, 1899
Mr. and Mrs. Emil Volkmann have the sympathy of many friends in the loss of their child, about a year old. The little one died Saturday. The funeral was held Monday at 1 p.m.

Volquardsen, Catharina Maria (1901)

Denison Review - January 22, 1901
The funeral of Mrs. Volquardsen who died at Dow City Sunday morning, took place at the German Lutheran church in Denison at 1 o'clock this Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Catharina Maria Volquardsen (nee Boysen) died at her home in Union township on Sunday morning, Jan. 20. Mrs. Volquardsen was born on February 22, 1815 and the cause of her death was old age, she leaves three sons, one daughter and thirteen grandchildren to mourn her demise.

Way, Fred (1899)

Denison Review, 10-20-1899

On Thursday evening occurred the death of Mr. Fred Way, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Way. It will be remembered that some time ago he fell from the top of a windmill and although he was able to be around some, yet he never recovered.

During the summer he was taken to Kirksville, Mo. where it was thought the osteopath treatment might be helpful, but all that medical skill could do was unavailing.

Mr. Way was born in Denison where he grew to manhood and where he had a host of friends. He was a prominent and very earnest worker in the Baptist church, a leader in the Young People's meetings and a devout Christian and his untimely death comes as a thunderbolt from a clear sky to his friends. The remains will be brought to Denison on the 2:16 train tomorrow afternoon and the sermon will be preached from the Baptist church, after which interment will take place in Oakland cemetery. To the bereaved parents and brother, the sympathy of the entire community is extended.

Weatherbee, Amos (December 24, 1906)

Dow City Enterprise 1-27-1907
Amos Weatherbee died at his home in Boyer township, Tuesday, Dec. 24. We are informed that he was a member of no church. The funeral services were held in the M. E. church yesterday afternoon being conducted by Rev. A. L. Curtis and the remains interred in the Dow City cemetery.

Weiburg, Mrs. P. W. (1884)

Denison Review, April 25, 1884
From Mr. C. J. Johnson we learn of two deaths which occurred in his vicinity lately (see also: Anderson, James). On Friday, April 18th, Mrs. P. W. Weiburg, living in Otter Creek township, died soon after confinement. Rev. S. Mickelson conducted her funeral services on Sunday, April 20th.

Welch, Geo. (1911)

Schleswig Leader - August 4, 1911
Geo. Welch of near Ida Grove who was caught between a threshing engine and the separator week before last, died last Friday from his injuries.

Wellner, Martin (1944)

Schleswig Leader - August 1944
LeRoy Maas and Martin Wellner were killed in France on July 4th and official notices received here on July 31st.

Whiting, Thaddus (1890)

Denison Review 1-29-1890 - Deloit
Our town is one vast hospital as every body is more or less sick. It becomes our sad duty to notice the death of Thaddus Whiting, a young man of about 21 years of age and son of W. W. Whiting, of Goodrich township, who died on Friday morning at two o'clock of pneumonia superinduced by an attack of "grippe". Both of these young people (referring to Maud Turner) will be sadly missed from their large circle of friends, as they were both general favorites. These deaths following so close on the melancholy demise of Mrs. C. F. Myers, who was one of the brightest ladies in Deloit, case a gloom over this whole community which will not soon pass away.

Wieck, John H. (1894 )

Denison Review 9-19-1894 - Morgan
John H. Wieck, son of Mr. and Mrs. Detlef Wieck, died on Tuesday night at the age of nearly seventeen years. His illness was brief; he being confined to his bed only since Friday of last week and the news of his death came like a burst of thunder from a clear sky, but a few being aware of his illness. He was a young man of many admirable traits and leaves only loving regrets in the hearts of his many friends.

Funeral services were held at his home on Thursday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. M. Runge of Hanover township, conducting the services. The vehicles were followed to their last resting place in the Nissen cemetery by a huge concourse of friends, over eighty vehicles....(missing) ..plary young man was held by all who knew him. His was a model life and none knew him but to love him for his manly traits. The sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved family. May they have strength to bear up under their heavy affliction.

Wieland (1907)

Dow City Enterprise 5-3-1907
John Wieland, the ten year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Wieland, died at their home Friday morning very suddenly of an attack of pneumonia. The funeral was Sunday and the burial in the Dow City cemetery Sunday afternoon.

Wiese, Amelia (1884)

Denison Review 5-9-1884
Amelia Wiese - Hays Township - April 3

Wiese, Anna (1884)

Denison Review 5-9-1884
Anna Wiese - Hays Township - April 2

Willert, Infant (1911)

Schleswig Leader - July 7 1911
The little baby of John Willert and wife died on Monday. The little one had been sickly since birth. The remains were taken to Auburn for interment

Williams, Grandma (1920)

Denison Review, Wednesday, June 16, 1920
Our little city is saddened by the death of one of our elderly women who has so many friends in this place. She passed quietly away at their residence in Deloit surrounded by friends and loved ones and all that kind friends could do for her was done. Grandma Williams has a host of friends who will miss her smile and friendly greetings. She will be missed in her church work and among her old neighbors. The funeral will be held Wednesday, June 16, at 2:30 o'clock at the M.E. church, of which she was a member. Rev. Ralston officiating. All extend sympathy to the bereaved ones.

Wilson, Mrs. Geo (1912)

Denison Review 11-27-1912 - Wednesday - Buck Grove
Mrs. Geo. Wilson died in a hospital at Omaha on Friday, where she went for treatment. She was operated upon for cancer and stood the operation but died afterwards. She has been ailing for some time but her friends did not suspect serious trouble and her death came as a great shock to her many friends. She leaves a sister and a devoted husband to mourn her loss.

Wiley, Julia Dobson (1916)

Denison Review 12-2-1916 - Deloit Items
The writer received a letter Friday from her cousin, Mrs. Edith Putbreese, stating that her sisters, Mrs. Marinda Mason and Mrs. Julia Wiley, had both passed away. Their deaths occurred the same day, January 9th.The eldest sister, Marinda, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Blanche Barnes, of Los Angeles, California at 4:30 P.M.on Sunday. She was the eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. John Dobson. Mrs. Julia Wiley, one of their twin daughters, died the same day at 5 o'clock at their home in Orifino, Idaho of jaundice and pneumonia. Both Mrs. Mason and Mrs. Wiley were born and reared here and resided at this place a number of years with their families. Thus one by one we are passing to the great beyond. The widowed mother, Mrs. John Dobson, received the sad news with a shock.

Willert, John (1911)

Denison Review 7-12-1911
The son of John Willert and wife, died on Monday evening. The little one has been sickly since birth with stomach trouble. The funeral was held at the house Thursday and the remains taken to Auburn for burial. The little one was the only child and is greatly missed. The sorrowing parents have the heartfelt sympathy of this community.

Williamson, Grandma (1907)

Dow City Enterprise 2-15-1907
Grandma Williamson died at the home of her son George in South Dakota and the remains were brought here accompanied by her daughter Mrs. Geo. Williamson Saturday, and Sunday the funeral and burial took place at Galland's Grove where she resided for many years. She was the mother of John Williamson of this place and grandmother of Mrs. Fred Jackson and Mrs. Dean Talcott. The funeral sermon was by elder C. E. Butterworth.
Submitted by Melba McDowell

Wilson, Mrs. J. K. (1894)

Denison Review 10-24-1894 - Charter Oak
The wife of J. K. Wilson died on Monday morning. The funeral occurred Tuesday afternoon at the Willow Center schoolhouse. Mrs. Wilson leaves several children. Her loss will be seriously felt by her family and the friends in the locality where she has lived for many years. She was a good and noble woman.

Winans, Anna Charlotte (1909)

Denison Review 4-27-1909 Goodrich

On Sunday, April 10, 1910 , Anna Charlotte, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Winans. Little Charlotte was born March 21, 1907, and died April 10, 1910, aged three years and twenty days. She had been suffering with whooping cough for some time and on April 2nd was stricken with pneumonia and although everything that loving hands and kind friends could do was done nothing did any good, the Lord seen fit to take her home. She was an exceptionally bright child, old for her years and during the short time she was permitted to live had endeared herself to all by her sunny disposition. She leaves papa, Mamma and two sisters to mourn their loss who have the sympathy of the entire community.

Winans, Catherine (Mrs. Clark) (1898)

Denison Review 4-5-1898
Henry Winans and his nephew Mr. Pierce were in Deloit Monday, making preparations for the burial of his mother at this place Tuesday.

Mrs. Catherine Winans, wife of Clark Winans, deceased, died Sunday, April 3, at Vail. Mrs. Winans is among the early settlers here and is well and favorably known. Funeral services were held at the M.E. church at Vail on Tuesday and the remains laid to rest by her husband in the Deloit cemetery.

Winans, Elmer (1908)

Denison Review 7-15-1908
Died - Elmer Winans at his home near Lemmon, S. Dakota, Jul 8, 1908. He was born near Deloit, July 10, 1876, and was 43 years old the day he was buried. He spent his life here until a year ago last spring when he moved on his homestead near Lemmon, S. D. He was married to Vida Albright, February 23, 1898, and to this union three children were born. His elder brother, Lawrence, preceded him too the grave only four months and a half. He leaves besides his family to mourn their loss, mother, three brothers and a sister. The family have the sympathy of a host of friends here in their bereavement.

Denison Review 7-29-1908
After a protracted and heroic struggle Mr. Elmer Winans resident four miles west of town, died suddenly at his home. July 3rd and 4th he had been in town with his family evidently more anxious not to deprive his loved ones the pleasure of the celebration than o look after his personal comfort. His appearance then gave his friends cause for serious alarm but that the end should have come as suddenly as it did no one was prepared to realize.

The funeral took place this afternoon from the family homestead, burial being made in the new cemetery at Lemmon, Rev. F. T. Berkheiser conducting the sad ceremony. For a young man Mr. Winans had succeeded wonderfully in impressing himself upon his community. Public spirited to the degree, he has ever been ready to lend a helping hand where help was needed, and to sacrifice his time and effort: and it was but meet recognition of his fine manhood, that his neighbors had recently elected him township supervisor of Prairie township and school director.

He leaves a widow and three children to mourn the heavy loss. There are here also his mother, a sister and a brother, a second brother is at Bonesteel, S. D. and another lives at Deloit, Ia. where he had only last Sunday returned after spending the Fourth here. The first of the pioneers of Prairie township, whose dust is to hallow the new ripped sod of the conquered wilderness, Elmer Winans, though dead will live with us in the memory of his sterling worth for he fought a valiant fight.

Elmer Winans was born July 10, 1876 at Deloit, Crawford county, Iowa. He was the second son of Josiah and Anna Winans and was at the time of his death 32 years old, this being his birthday. He was married February 23, 1898 to Miss Vida Albright. To this union three sons were born and these together with his wife, mother, three brothers and a sister survive him, his father and brother having died four months before. He was a kind brother, loving father and husband, dutiful son and faithful neighbor.

Winans, Henry S. (1902)

Denison Review 9-2-1902
Henry S. Winans, an old and highly respected Crawford County pioneer died suddenly at his home in Vail, Saturday evening of heart failure. He was always in good health until Saturday morning he complained some and his physician pronounced it heart trouble. He rallied some and went about his work and in the evening took another spell and died before help could be called. The funeral was held Monday afternoon Rev. Allsbrook officiating and a large number of friends attending to pay their last respects. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his death.

Winans, Laurence (1908)

Denison Review 2-20-1908
Death of Lawrence (Note from Melba should be spelled Laurence) Winans
A Well Known Resident of Milford Township Dies on Tuesday

The not altogether unexpected death of Mr. Lawrence Winans took place on Tuesday, Feb. 25, at his home two miles east of Deloit, on the old Winans homestead. The deceased was a grandson of Mr. Clark Winans, one of the pioneers of the county. He was the son of Joseph Winans and wife, and born at the old home two miles east of Deloit on August 27, 1875 and so was in his thirty-third year. When but a lad his father was accidentally killed and this put a sorrow in his life. He was married Dec. 24, 1897, to Miss Maggie Hopper and they have a daughter, Jessie.

He leaves to mourn his death this wife and daughter, his mother, four brothers, a sister and many relatives. All were with him when he died. The funeral will be held at the Catholic church in Denison on Thursday at eleven a.m.

The brothers and sister are, Elmer Winans of Lemmon, S. D., Earl, of Bonesteal, S. D., Maurice and Lloyd living near Deloit, and Mrs. Harry Childress of Woolsey, S. D. Lawrence was afflicted with consumption. He was a superior young man, kind, patient, a good son and loving husband and father. He was making arrangements to move to South Dakota this spring, not realizing his true condition. We are sorry indeed to chronicle the death of this excellent citizen

Winans, Maggie (1912)

Denison Review 1-3-1912 - Deloit Items
It was with sadness we learned of the death of our old neighbor and friends, Mrs. Maggie Winans, of Charter Oak. Several took the train on Wednesday to Denison to be present at the burial. Our sincere sympathy is extended to the young daughter, sisters and brothers.

Winquest (1895)

Denison Review - 1-?-1895 - Kiron
Two deaths occurred in the neighborhood the past week. The seven months' old babe of Mr. and Mrs. Gust Johnson passed away on Thursday and on Friday the baby of Mr. and Mrs. John Winquest died at the age of one month. Funeral services were held at the Baptist church, Rev. E. O. Olson delivering the sermon. A large crowd was gathered to extend sympathy and aid in the last rites. The bereaved parents have the sincere sympathy of their many friends.

Wittenberg, August (1912)

Schleswig Leader - August 30, 1912
August Wittenberg, who died at his home in Ida Grove on Sunday, August 25, was born in Ueckermoede, province Prussia, Germany, April 14, 1844, thus being 68 years old. He came to America 1873 and settled in Davenport, Iowa, where he married Miss Lena Moeller. Subsequently he came to crawford county, purchasing a farm in Otter Creek township on which he lived for a number of years. He was a splendid citizen and neighbor and a good husband and father.

Woest, Infant (1900)

Denison Review, Friday, July 13, 1900 - Aspinwall
Mr. and Mrs. John Woest mourn the loss of their two months; old child. Burial took place Monday at the Iowa township cemetery, Rev. Wm. Martens officiating.

Wood, W. O. (1900)

Denison Review, Tuesday, March 27, 1900 - Dow City

W. O. Wood died at his home in Dow City Saturday evening at 8 p.m., of pneumonia.

He was born in Lake County, Ohio, Dec. 10, 1830. At the age of twelve he moved with his parents to Michigan where he resided until 1851, when he came to Delaware county this state.

He was married to Jane Bay on Nov. 23, 1856. In August 1862, he enlisted in company B., 21st Regiment, Iowa Infantry Volunteers and was discharged July 15, 1865, at Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The next year he moved to this county where he has resided until his death.

He leaves a wife, five daughters and one son to mourn his loss. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at the Methodist church, the G. A. R. attending in a body and conducted the services at the cemetery.

Wolff, Victor (1893)

Denison Review 11-1-1893 - Vail
Our community was greatly shocked Wednesday morning by the horrible news that Victor Wolff had shot himself about 11 o'clock during the night. Whatever had been the cause for the awful deed will never be know but it is believed that being subjected to epileptic convulsions, in a state of insanity, the pitiable young man ended a life that seem to hold in stock for him only misery and pain.

Alexander Victor von Wolff was born in Denmark, Sept. 24, 1871. He leaves a father and sister, both living in the old country, to mourn his untimely death. Noble, upright and honorable in all his dealing, kind, indulgent and forbearing with those coming in contact with him, he passed away, loved by all who knew him.

Wright, Mark (1909)

Dow City Enterprise 7-23-09
Mark Wright, an old soldier and member of Denison city council died last Wednesday of kidney trouble.

Warn, Henry & Warn, William (1901)

Denison Review - March 1, 1901 - Goodrich Township

Crawford County's most awful tragedy occurred this morning. Henry Warn, a farmer living in Goodrich Township, six miles northwest of Denison fired all the buildings on his farm, destroying every flammable thing he possessed and his charred remains have been found in the ruins of the barn. Mystery shrouds the whereabouts of William, his son, a young man twenty-one years of age. He was known to have been at home last night but no one has seen him since the awful tragedy and his remains have not been found. It is easily possible that amongst the burning heaps of debris his charred body may yet be found.

The tragedy occurred about 9 o'clock this morning and, as usual, it is difficult to obtain a concise story of a fearful deed. A number of neighbors saw the smoke and Paul Stensen, his son and a son of Otto Timm hastened to the rescue. They beheld the awful sight of the old man running from building to building carrying a pail filled with cobs soaked with kerosene and setting fire to everything as he went. As they approached the place Warn saw them and began shouting that he would kill them if they came nearer and waving his revolver and shooting at them.

The would-be rescuers ran for their lives and the maddened man went on with his work of destruction. The first man on the scene after this was C. M. Russell who was soon assisted by Peter Atzen. At this time the house was burning fiercely and nothing could be done to quench the flames. Mr. Russell rushed to the barn to release the horses and stock. He succeeded in releasing about a dozen cows and then he tried to get the horses out. Much to his surprise he found wagons backed up against the doors to prevent the horses from escaping and he was forced to knock out the side of the barn by which time the fire was blazing so hotly that he was able to rescue but one of the tortured beasts.

It became apparent that nothing could be done to prevent the holocaust. Every building was ablaze and with the cunning of a fiend, Warn had broken the hydrant of his farm waterworks, so that no water was to be had. To realize the extent to which the deed was planned it is only necessary to state that not only were wagons backed up against the barn but the coils of wire were stacked up against the hog house to make sure that the hogs perished with the rest. Another freak of the crazy man, for such he must have been, was to remove from the building all the clothing and effects of his daughter, Bertha, who was married on Monday last to a young man named Frederichs. Even her dog was released from the house while two other dogs were left inside to die.

The scene of the fire is terrible beyond the telling. In the cattle shed, or rather where once was the cattle shed, there is now but a long line of smoking and distended bodies. The bodies of the horses rise from the debris of the barn and it was here, fallen between the bodies of the horses, that the remains of Henry Warn were found. It is burned beyond recognition. The legs, the arms, the top of the skull are burned away, not a scrap of flesh adheres to the blackened bones. The base of the skull, the ribs and the jawbone are the only things that tell for a certainty that when the sun rose this morning this was the abode of a human soul.

A thorough search is now being made to find some trace of the body of the son, William, whom it is supposed was burned in the house. Up to this time nothing has been discovered, however, and it is possible that in some way he escaped destruction.

The property destroyed includes a well-built, one-and-a half story house and all furniture save that which belonged to the daughter, Bertha, the barn and three head of horses, water tank, meat house, two cribs containing 2000 bushels of corn, a granary containing several hundred bushels of oats and wheat, cattle sheds and about a dozen head of cattle, the hog house and a number of hogs, a large stack of hay and another of straw, the hennery and several dozen chickens, beside a large amount of farm machinery. The loss is estimated at from $5000 to $7000.

Mr. Peter Atzen, a near neighbor, and who knew something of the affairs of Warn, tells us that he knew and that others knew that he intended to come to Denison today and make a payment of over $1500 and that he had the money at his home. Mr. Atzen is inclined to believe there has been foul play about the matter and that perhaps the men were murdered for the money. This theory can hardly hold, however, if it is true that Warn was seen firing the buildings himself, and this comes from the best of authority. What motive prompted the deed, whether it was insanity or morose grief, God alone can tell.

Warn was not a pleasant man, he was morose and of a bad disposition. The son was subject to fits of insanity and at one time he ran away and was only found after searching parties had been organized. This fact has caused another theory to be advanced, that the son became insane, fired the buildings, killed his father and escaped.

Again, this theory runs up against the fact that the father was seen by several reliable parties among whom are Mr. Stensen and Mr. Cal. Drake of Denison, while he was firing the buildings.

Henry Warn was a man between 50 and 60 years of age. His wife died several years ago. He was a German and spoke but little English. He had three children, William the son who is missing, Bertha, recently married to Frederichs and Mrs. Nic Oldrog, who lives with her husband on Section 35, Hanover Township.

He was fairly well-to-do as is shown by the large amount of property which he destroyed by his own hand. He was not on good terms with all his neighbors and had warned some of them not to come near his place. This probably accounts for the apparent indifference and lack of interference. It may well be expected that more of the details and perhaps some solution of the crime may come to light and in that event the Review will keep its readers posted on the most terrible tragedy that has ever occurred in Crawford County.

We have just learned that some years ago, Mr. Warn was brutally beaten in a row at a party and that he has never been right in his mind since that time. We also neglected to state that near the body was found the blade of a butcher knife and a revolver. There is some censure over the fact that Warn was not looked after by the authorities and placed in an asylum where such an awful tragedy could not have occurred.

Sheriff Bell, Constable McAhren, ex-sheriff Seymour, Attorney Goodwin, Dr. J. J. McWilliams, A. J. Gary and a large number of the neighbors were on the scene this afternoon and every effort will be made to get to the bottom of the mystery. Albert Gary of Denison was the one who found the remains of Warn in the ruins of the barn. This account was hurriedly prepared after a visit to the scene of the tragedy, but it contains all of the details possible for us to obtain at this time.

Warn Henry - Denison Review The later developments have cleared up what promised at first to be a great mystery as to the death of Henry Warn. The tragedy was simply the act of an insane man, executed with all the cunning and foresight of insanity.

Taking up the story where the Review left it on Friday, the day of the tragedy, the further developments have been, first, the return of the boy, William, who was at that time supposed to have been murdered: Second, the finding of a latter showing that the fire was planned and telling where Warn's money could be found, and third, the recovery of the money amounting to $3535.

From the evidence submitted at the coroner's inquest held yesterday it appears, according to the testimony of William Warn, that his father acted queerly the night before and that at 4 o'clock he arose and left the house being gone about three hours.

It is supposed that at this time he wrote the letter which was found pinned on the inner side of the lid of a feed box in Mr. Nie Oldrog's barn and told where the money which Warn had hid might be found.

Returning to the house, William testifies that his father continued to act in a wild and threatening manner, pacing the floor, revolver in hand, and finally announcing his intent to destroy the place by fire. In the boy's presence he started some of the fires and when the boy remonstrated and wanted to let the cattle and horses out, Warn told him that if he did not leave the place, or that if he went to warn any of the neighbors, he would kill him. At this, the boy was so frightened he ran away and his in a straw stack on a farm some two miles distant.

Waterhouse, Mildred Lucile (1901)

Denison Review - November 1, 1901 - Charter Oak
Died Sunday evening, Oct. 27, Mildred Lucile, the baby daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Waterhouse. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian Church, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Linn conducting the service. The funeral was largely attended and many friends followed the remains to the cemetery. Kind hands had lined the little grave with flowers and those who saw the roses dropped upon the tiny casket will always think of baby Mildred as asleep among the blossoms so like herself. Mildred was an exceptionally bright and affectionate child and loved by all who knew her. Her sickness was very brief and her death came as a shock to all. Her grief stricken parents have the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement. We trust that in this dark hour they may have the comfort and strength that none but the sympathizing Jesus can give and which He has promised to those who mourn.

Way, Thomas (1897)

Denison Review - June 23, 1897
The sympathy of the people of Denison, where Mr. Thomas Way and his parents are so well known, was greatly aroused by his death. We annex a brief sketch of his life. We can only add our testimony to the excellent Christian character of the deceased. Mr. Thomas Way was born in Dorchester, England, Nov. 24, 1864. He came to America with his parents in August, 1874, direct to Denison, Iowa to settle. The greater part of his life was spent in this city, where he was well known by a large circle of friends. He was engaged in the marble business and he was quite successful in this capacity. He spent the last four years of his life with his parents in Ute. At the early age of 18 he became a Christian, united with the Baptist Church and remained a member up to the time of his death. He was an active, consistent Christian. He had been in failing health for some years, but ever manifested a patient spirit in all his afflictions. He leaves to mourn his loss, father, mother, two sisters and three brothers. He died Wednesday evening June 16, 1897. The service was held in the Baptist church Thursday afternoon, the pastor giving a brief address. There was a large attendance of friends and sympathizers present.

Wilmer, Okie (1897?)

Denison Review
The death of Mrs. Okie Wilmer occurred at her home on Thursday. Mrs. Welmer had been sick for sometime suffering with consumption. Rev. Claussen will officiate at the funeral which will take place from the home of the deceased on Friday at at o'clock p.m.

Mrs. Hattie Wingrove (1897)

Denison Review - January 20, 1897 - Dow City
Died Saturday Jan. 16, Mrs. Hattie Wingrove, wife of Daniel Wingrove and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Kepford, age 35. The funeral was from the first Baptist Church in Dow City Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. L. Whirry, preaching from the text, Rev. 7:17, the latter clause, "And God shall wipe all tears from their eyes." Interment in the Dow City Cemetery. A husband and four small children are left to mourn their loss. The two youngest are twins, two weeks old.

Woods, child (1901)

Denison Review - March 5, 1901 - Charter Oak
The two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Woods died Friday afternoon at one o'clock after an illness of only a few hours. The funeral services were held at the home Sunday at 11 a.m. by Rev. Linn. A large number of friends went from town to assist in the last sad rites and to sympathize with the bereaved parents.