1882 Dow City Biographies
Biographies Appearing in the Publication
- Beatty, W., M. D.
- Dow, S. E.
- Hillas, W. C.
- Lewis, M. B.
- Morton, W. H.
- Rasp, T. J.
- Whaley, W. V.
- Wilder, C. M.
W. Beatty, M. D., is a native of Canada; came to Iowa in 1880 and located at Dow City; engaged in the practice of medicine. He is a graduate of Toronto University and graduated from Trinity College in the class of '80.
S. E. Dow, of the firm of Dow, Graves & Co., dealers in lumber, grain, stock and farm machinery, was born in N. H.; moved to Mich. in 1832 and engaged in the mercantile business. In 1852 he moved to Harrison county, Ia.: thence to Crawford county in 1855, and located near the present site of Dow City, In 1864 he moved into the city and engaged in stock and grain business.
W. C. Hillas, dealer in general merchandise, was born in St. Albans, Vt. He went to sea when quite young and followed sailing for eighteen years. In 1860, he went to California, where he remained ten years, and then located at Dunlap, Ia., where he engaged in business with his brother. He came to Dow City in 1875 and engaged in business as above. He has a very fine store and carries a large and complete stock.
M. B. Lewis, postmaster and druggist, is a native of Canada; came to the states in 1863 and located at Red Wing, Minn., in 1865. In 1874 he came to Dow City and engaged in the drug . Was appointed postmaster in 1879.
W. H. Morton, proprietor of the Dow City House, is a native of Ohio; moved to Rock county, Wis., in 1853; thence to Freeport, Ill., where he engaged in milling. He next moved to Linn county, Ia., and came to Dow City in 1879 and engaged as above. He intends building a new hotel during the spring of 1882.
T. J. Rasp, of the firm of T. J. Rasp & Co., dealers in general merchandise, is a native of Canada; came to Iowa in 1848 and settled near Davenport. He came to Dow City in 1875 and was employed as book-keeper by Dow, Graves & Co., until engaging in business as above in 1881.
W. V. Whaley, of the firm of Whaley & Bell, proprietors of the meat market and provision store, is a native of Ohio; came to Dow City, Ia., in 1874 and engaged in the stock business. In 1879 he entered his present business.
C. M. Wilder, proprietor of restaurant, was born in Ohio; moved to Iowa in 1854 and settled in Clayton county. In 1865 he came to Dow City and engaged in teaching until 1881, when he engaged in business as above.
Source: History of Western Iowa. Western Publishing Company, 1882, Sioux City.