St. Boniface

The Clinton Daily Herald Annual Edition December 19, 1908 p. 32  submitted by Mike Kearney

The most extensive improvement made in the city the past year is the building of the new St. Boniface church, which occupies a prominent position at the corner of Seventh and Pearl streets.  Ground was broken for this structure on March 18, 1908, Rev. Joseph Tritz, the pastor turning the first shovelful of earth.  The cornerstone was laid July 5th in the presence of a multitude of people.  In the cornerstone are copies of the Herald, Advertiser, Anzeiger, Catholic Tribune, Dubuque German Catholic paper,  Davenport Catholic Messenger, history of St. Boniface parish list, signed by sisters and children of the parish, names of members, building committee, Contractor Zwack, Architect Herr; a bronze medal blessed for the event, a stone from the catacombs at Rome, medals and coins given by the people and the names of President Roosevelt and Mayor Crockett.  The stone bears on the east front the words “Ecclesia St. Boniface, 1908.” And on its south face a cross, the emblem of Christianity.  The church measures 115 feet in length by 56 feet in width and is furnished with seven spires each 124 feet in height.  The edifice is built of red pressed brick according to Gothic designs, which were planned by Rev. Tritz himself, the details being carried out by Architect Herr and Contractor Zwack.  The seating capacity is upwards of 500 persons.  The church is lighted by more than 100 incandescent lights.  The inside of the building consists of a main nave and two side naves, separated by stately columns; the sanctuary is 24 by 24 feet with a sacristy at each side connecting with a winter chapel 16 by 24 feet, which extends along the rear of the edifice.  Pillars artistically finished, supported the arched ceiling.  The choir is over the east entrance; two entrances lead into the vestibule at the north end of which is a beautiful grotto of St. Lourdes.  The bells consist of a Westminster peal, four bells, the largest, 2,600 ponds, being in E flat, the second, 1,500 pounds, in B flat, and the third, 750 pounds, in A flat and the smallest, 550 pounds in D flat.  The first bell was the gift of the parish at large, the second that of Mr. and Mrs. Diedrich Holdgrafer, the third was donated by Mrs. Mary Holdgrafer, and the fourth by the pastor, Rev. Father Tritz.  The largest is dedicated to St. Boniface, the second to St. Joseph, the third to St. Mary, and the fourth to St. Donatus.  The exterior of the building is trimmed in Bedford stone; the main building and the towers are roofed in slate.  A part basement has been supplied with heating apparatus.